PDA

View Full Version : Another Ready Straps Review

Lost_Biker
09-17-2013, 10:31
I needed some new straps, so I contacted Gary at Ready Straps to ask a few questions about the 4500lb available in olive green. He advised me that the 4500 is too thick (ends had to be wrapped in plastic) for the cinch buckles. After an aww-shoot moment, I asked about the 3000lb in black and camo. He said the ends are folded over and sewn and would not be too thick to work with the buckles.

He also said he was busy with an overseas order and if I could wait a few days for him to finish. I said no problem. A day later he emailed me and said to go ahead and place the order if I wished - I did for the 3000lb camo.

I was expecting an invoice for the order and then received a shipping notice instead. He shipped my order before sending me an invoice! I did get an invoice a day later.

I got the package yesterday and I'm quite pleased - really nice work! Beautiful stitching on everything. I got 2 eight foot straps, 2 quickdraws with cinch buckles and 2 tree straps. Now to hook them up!

Thanks Gary!

rickycodie
09-17-2013, 11:17
Cool! Those look really nice.

Sparkfly88
09-17-2013, 11:19
I'm a bit envious.

But... Mine are blaze orange so I don't forget them on the trees when I pack out.

gunner76
09-17-2013, 19:01
Are those cinch buckles black ??

Lost_Biker
09-18-2013, 05:47

Yes, they are. Matte black.

Zilla
09-19-2013, 22:44
I got some black ones coming as well, Gary is a grade A vender and does solid work every time, Go ahead gunner grab up a pair of them black ones, when everybody sees them they might go fast. And black goes with everything, hahaha

Lost_Biker
09-20-2013, 05:17
The black buckles disappear in black or camo straps. Jeez, these things are strong. They adjust so easily compared to rings and I don't have to tie a slip knot.

gunner76
09-20-2013, 06:45
I just ordered a bunch of the non black ones a few weeks ago.

GT
10-13-2013, 08:42
The black buckles disappear in black or camo straps. Jeez, these things are strong. They adjust so easily compared to rings and I don't have to tie a slip knot.

Hellllllo LB! I will never hang off of anything but the cinch buckle and straps.
The old saying, "It's a Cinch" means something to me when I'm setting up or taking down my hammock, and straps are so much neater and easy to deal with. they roll up and stick in a pouch or pocket a lot better than any rope I've ever taken along camping. Seems like I'm always fumbling around with rope, string, extension cords, hoses, etc to figure out which end is which and how to get it all untangled. They don't make fire hoses flat for nothing. :laugh:
Glad you like the straps! I particularly like the 3000lb straps also and still use the set that I made myself two years ago. I must have at least a hundred hangs on them by now.
Will be getting in touch with you about a quilt soon too. Me butts getting a wee cool in this 35-40 degrees. :eek:

GT
10-13-2013, 08:57

Yo Gunner! Yes, they are Black Oxide finish. They are $1 more than the Cadmium plated ones because it's one more step in the finishing process to blacken them. They actually have to boil them in a black oxide solution a few times but they are the same buckle, military specs and all.

Some customers have mentioned bluing the cadmium plated ones with gun blue or even coloring them with a black magic marker with reasonable results if you want to save $1. Then there's always, Youtube > "How to black oxide finish." if your looking for something to do on a rainy Sat. :)

But like anything else, the easiest way is just to pay the extra $1 :)

GT
10-13-2013, 09:08
I got some black ones coming as well, Gary is a grade A vender and does solid work every time, Go ahead gunner grab up a pair of them black ones, when everybody sees them they might go fast. And black goes with everything, hahaha

Thanks Much! Zilla
I was letting the black ones go cheap for a few weeks because my supplier ran out of the cadmium plated ones and I didn't want my customers to go without cinch buckles. But they now have plenty of the cad ones and I will be getting a load in by the end of the week. The black ones actually cost me $1 more a piece so I am back to selling them for $1 more than the cad plated.

GT
10-13-2013, 09:15
I'm a bit envious.

But... Mine are blaze orange so I don't forget them on the trees when I pack out.

Are they polyester?

I have been keeping my eyes open for a decent light weight orange 1"w polyester webbing and as soon as I find some I will stock it. I have bright orange but it's thick and heavy, and when I go looking for 2500 or 3000lb in bulk I usually only find it in a weird orange, like burnt orange or golden orange.

Lost_Biker
10-19-2013, 13:36
Hellllllo LB! I will never hang off of anything but the cinch buckle and straps.
The old saying, "It's a Cinch" means something to me when I'm setting up or taking down my hammock, and straps are so much neater and easy to deal with. they roll up and stick in a pouch or pocket a lot better than any rope I've ever taken along camping. Seems like I'm always fumbling around with rope, string, extension cords, hoses, etc to figure out which end is which and how to get it all untangled. They don't make fire hoses flat for nothing. :laugh:
Glad you like the straps! I particularly like the 3000lb straps also and still use the set that I made myself two years ago. I must have at least a hundred hangs on them by now.
Will be getting in touch with you about a quilt soon too. Me butts getting a wee cool in this 35-40 degrees. :eek:

I really, really like these buckles. A dozen + hangs and no slippage. I was a little concerned with them slipping for the first few nights, but now I just adjust and not worry at all. No more slip knots for me!

Let me know about the uq shell, Gary - I'll hook you up!

GT
10-19-2013, 17:35
I really, really like these buckles. A dozen + hangs and no slippage. I was a little concerned with them slipping for the first few nights, but now I just adjust and not worry at all. No more slip knots for me!

Let me know about the uq shell, Gary - I'll hook you up!

Just got back from visiting some of the people and exploring the area with a few others over at the hang near Mt. Cardigan. Really liked it there and everyone was wicked awesome. Wanted to set up my hammock but all I have is a homemade one without a bottom quilt. Or any other quilt as far as that goes. I almost said the heck with it, I'll tough it out. So I came back to get my gear. Then I checked the weather and saw it is going to rain hard tonight and I don't have a tarp either. Awful darn Frustrating! So I guess I'm out of this one. Wanted to go back and maybe have a drink or two around the fire ring but then, I can't because I'll need to drive home. Awful darn frustrating x 2. But you should see the spot they have. Unbelievable! I don't think you could find a prettier, out away from it all place. I am sure there will be some pics floating around. And all I have to say is. "If they have another one at this spot, (1) I will be the first one there. And (2) Everyone else who has any chance to make it, should make it.