PDA

View Full Version : Need help with knotty mod

Gravity
09-17-2013, 10:35
In his instructions for the stretch-side mod (hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=29560) Knotty suggest making the holes for the bungee/shock cord by burning with a soldering iron or heated pin.

I don't feel comfortable burning my beloved hammock, and would like to know if others have come up with different ideas to make the holes. The one that comes to mind is to insert grommets, but that may lead to the grommet edges cutting into the hammock fabric.

I will appreciate any ideas from the HF creative machine. Thanks!

aka.jobbe
09-17-2013, 10:44
If it is before you have soen the rolles hem, you culd zig-zag a circle and Cut the inside fabric when thats done.
Then you'll get a hole.

SwinginIt
09-17-2013, 10:45
Sew button holes? I burned holes in all of mine with no ill effects.

FireInMyBones
09-17-2013, 10:52
+1 o button holes. I didn't make mine adjustable, so I just sewed the bungee in the channel.

rocketBoy
09-17-2013, 11:11
When I wanted to do a Knotty mod on a hammock that I had already built I just sewed grosgrain ribbon on, two feet on each side, to form channels that I ran the shock cord though. I put loops in the end of the grosgrain to tie the shock cord to if I didn't want to use a cord locks. It worked great and there was no cutting or punching holes in the hammock.

rchang72
09-17-2013, 11:39
I interrupted the hem and did a triple back and forth stitch to reinforce the openings. No problems in the hems. Look at the Knotty end post for I think brinbadi 's idea

Knotty
09-17-2013, 13:00
gravitino - If you're modding an existing hammock, you have to be able to create a hole that only penetrates the first layer of the fabric in the hem. Grommets would just go straight through everything and then you'd have no way to get the bungee threaded through the hem itself.

A careful burn will produce the hole and seal the edges of the hole.

Fear not! :)

SnrMoment
09-17-2013, 19:03
It's pretty easy to separate the fabric in the hems with the tip of a pin, then burn the small hole with a soldering iron. Have also done several using the grosgrain as Rocketboy described.

Gravity
09-17-2013, 20:06
... you have to be able to create a hole that only penetrates the first layer of the fabric in the hem. Grommets would just go straight through everything...

How about this: unstitch an inch or two of the hem, punch the grommet thru the first layer, then sew back the hem?

gmcttr
09-17-2013, 20:34
How about this: unstitch an inch or two of the hem, punch the grommet thru the first layer, then sew back the hem?

Grommets often don't hold well in thin nylon.

I interrupted the hem and did a triple back and forth stitch to reinforce the openings. No problems in the hems...

If you don't mind opening the hem, just use chang72's method.

RollinJoe
09-17-2013, 21:17
When I wanted to do a Knotty mod on a hammock that I had already built I just sewed grosgrain ribbon on, two feet on each side, to form channels that I ran the shock cord though. I put loops in the end of the grosgrain to tie the shock cord to if I didn't want to use a cord locks. It worked great and there was no cutting or punching holes in the hammock.

I think that's the route I'll be going, seems like a more durable alternative. For you weight watchers, that's about 4 grams worth of grosgrain.

Knotty
09-17-2013, 22:55
The more I think about it, the more the 2' length of grosgrain makes sense. It's easy, if you can sew, and no need to make holes.

WickedKlown2
09-17-2013, 23:57
Here's a picture of my Knotty Mod utilizing grosgrain :

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/483140_4261336287478_929713693_n.jpg

I hope that helps by using a visualization :)

RollinJoe
09-18-2013, 00:08
What thickness of shockcord does it take to make it work well?

SwinginIt
09-18-2013, 03:54
What thickness of shockcord does it take to make it work well?

3/32 works good for me.

Gravity
09-20-2013, 00:05
Thanks all for your suggestions. Now I have a better understanding of the mod, and like both the in-hem and grosgrain ribbon options. And thanks Knotty, for coming up with the mod and sharing it.

RollinJoe
09-20-2013, 00:09
3/32 works good for me.

Thanks SwinginIt

Downhill Trucker
09-24-2013, 02:45
+1 o button holes. I didn't make mine adjustable, so I just sewed the bungee in the channel.

Do you have a pic of this? This looks like exactly what I want to do on my next DIY.