PDA

View Full Version : Testing new Dream Hammock strap buckles

PapaSmurf
09-18-2013, 10:53
http://www.dream-hammock.com/photos/Suspension/StrapBuckles.jpg

Cranky Bear
09-18-2013, 13:27
Awesome stuff Randy, are they going to be a suspension option with your hammocks?

PapaSmurf
09-18-2013, 14:47
Awesome stuff Randy, are they going to be a suspension option with your hammocks?
Yes sir, that's my hope anyway.
Ideally, an alternative suspension option as well as an add-on for the Dream Hammock whoopie sling suspension.

hutzelbein
09-19-2013, 05:15
Yay! That's what I've been waiting for for years!

Will they be available as an upgrade (to buy individually), too?

PapaSmurf
09-19-2013, 07:13

Possibly, but I'm not that far in the process yet.

packeagle
09-19-2013, 10:27
How do you plan to use them? To replace the toggle on a whoopie suspension? Or to replace cinch buckles?

PapaSmurf
09-19-2013, 11:31
How do you plan to use them? To replace the toggle on a whoopie suspension? Or to replace cinch buckles?

Yes. :)
So far I've rigged them up as toggle replacements, tri-glides, cinch buckles & carabiner loops.
Some ways are slow and cumbersome and others are quite handy.

Yojimbo
09-19-2013, 17:50
I'm looking for a simple and secure way for my younger scouts hang their hammocks. Are these working out well? Some younger ones aren't comprehending the Marlin Spike Hitch.
Think you might bring some to MAHHA to fiddle with?

Zilla
09-20-2013, 12:47
http://www.dream-hammock.com/photos/Suspension/StrapBuckles.jpg

Are these titanium??

PapaSmurf
09-20-2013, 12:52
Are these titanium??

No, this particular set is 3/16" Aluminum and weigh .55oz each.
We're currently testing several materials.

PapaSmurf
09-21-2013, 20:01
I was being pretty vague before because we're still very early in the process right now.
Here are the ways we have been testing this buckle so far:

Toggle replacement - Buckle threaded onto the tree strap with suspension rope hooked over the top of the buckle.

Carabiner or steel hook loop - Buckle threaded onto the tree strap with carabiner or steel hook attached through triangle hole.

Tri-Glide - Webbing through hammock channel, placed around tree and threaded the same as the JRB tri-glides.

All in one system - Buckle threaded onto tree strap, continuous loop larksheaded onto triangular hole or whoopie sling run through hole then hooked over top. This setup requires an add'l carabiner for the tree strap loop at the tree.

Cinch Buckle - Pair of buckles installed on a continuous loop and threaded like the AHE or Warbonnet plate style cinch buckles.

Bottle Opener - It actually does this pretty good. Grasp a bottle of your favorite beverage, hook the buckle over the cap, apply upward pressure until cap is removed. Tip bottle back and enjoy.

As a vendor I cannot yet speak to the suitability or safety of using this buckle in any particular way.

As a DIY guy, I can say this thing works great in some ways and only pretty good in some ways. There's still lots of playing around to do before I can release specifics.

I'll follow up with photos soon as I can.

Yojimbo
09-21-2013, 20:38
B]Toggle replacement -[/B] Buckle threaded onto the tree strap with suspension rope hooked over the top of the buckle.

Bottle Opener - It actually does this pretty good. Grasp a bottle of your favorite beverage, hook the buckle over the cap, apply upward pressure until cap is removed. Tip bottle back and enjoy.

I'll follow up with photos soon as I can.

I was thinking this first idea when I asked about a simpler solution than the MSH. Plus one could leave it on the strap so no lost toggles.

Not sure how a can jusitfy the last option to the scouts ;)

On another (possibly) side note. How well does amsteel hold up when attached to a device like pictured with it 90* cut edges? Or does the edge need to be rounded off? I don't have any hardeare like this so I don't have any experience.

PapaSmurf
09-21-2013, 20:49
Not sure how a can jusitfy the last option to the scouts ;)
I meant Grape Pop, of course. What beverage were you thinking of?

On another (possibly) side note. How well does amsteel hold up when attached to a device like pictured with it 90* cut edges? Or does the edge need to be rounded off? I don't have any hardeare like this so I don't have any experience.

Yea, that's one of the things that need addressed. I'm thinking that these are gonna need rounded pretty well to avoid wear on the rope. As they are I think the edge is too sharp. I've been searching for some kinda hourglass shaped grinding wheel that could be mounted on a dremel tool to reduce the labor involved.

packeagle
09-21-2013, 21:20
Yea, that's one of the things that need addressed. I'm thinking that these are gonna need rounded pretty well to avoid wear on the rope. As they are I think the edge is too sharp. I've been searching for some kinda hourglass shaped grinding wheel that could be mounted on a dremel tool to reduce the labor involved.
That would be cool. Rounded will save ware on the amsteel, but a lot of other designs use more squared corners. Look at the triangle plates sold/used by AHE and Warbonnet as one example. They are generally just tied/spliced to a loop of amsteel and hold up fine.

Nighthauk
09-22-2013, 11:26
Folks lets leave any talk of other vendors post, pictures etc... out of here. If you have some comments, suggestions or questions in direct regards to the OP then post. The other stuff doesn't belong.

PapaSmurf
10-08-2013, 22:43
We're getting closer. Here's a quick peek.

Qrxof4Rro1o

hutzelbein
10-09-2013, 02:48
Looking beautiful! Can't wait to get a pair!

mbnow
10-09-2013, 20:03
looks like if the "buckle" is close to the tree the triangle area might be a good point to run your tarp suspension from.

I like the looks of these. Lots of possibilities.

Slackdaddy
07-23-2017, 09:50
Anything ever come of the tri-cinch buckles??

Slack

hutzelbein
07-23-2017, 13:09
Yes. They were available for quite some time. I got two pairs, but found they were way too beefy for me. They look like they would be the last thing breaking - long after hammock, straps and trees had given out :)

Slackdaddy
08-31-2020, 19:52
Digging up an old thread,, would you sell those tri-angle cinch buckles??

Yes. They were available for quite some time. I got two pairs, but found they were way too beefy for me. They look like they would be the last thing breaking - long after hammock, straps and trees had given out :)

hutzelbein
09-01-2020, 03:58
Digging up an old thread,, would you sell those tri-angle cinch buckles??

I'm located in Germany. It wouldn't make sense to sell and ship them back to the US. I'd suggest posting in the "want to buy" section and finding a seller in the US.

1-Hung-Low
09-01-2020, 13:36
Slackdaddy, you might take a look at the Breeze Buckles by Autumn Ultralight

OlTrailDog
09-01-2020, 19:49

Looks like a great mod for my Sparrow :shades: