PDA

View Full Version : AT and I-40

Hooch
03-26-2007, 03:58
I posted this question on White Blaze, but thought I might run it by you guys as well. Does anyone know where I-40 crosses over the AT; ie: What town or exit number? Or even what it is closest to? Many thanks in advance for any assistance on this one. :D

headchange4u
03-26-2007, 07:51
I think it's around either exit 23 or 28, near Hot Springs.

Ewker
03-26-2007, 07:56
it is the exit 451 which is the waterville exit off I-40. Go down the exit ramp but do not turn to the right. Go straight across and the road will go under I-40 and turn quickly into a gravel rd. The stairs leading up to the AT are on your left.
http://www.thebackpacker.com/pictures/pic/a0dv4sy7e3u319.php

http://www.thebackpacker.com/pictures/pic/wjfbaj6qxcx5.php

http://www.thebackpacker.com/pictures/pic/ogjhlh.php

Frolicking Dino
03-26-2007, 08:53
Waterville is the name on the exit and it is near Hardford, TN. If you look carefully where the paved road turns to the right, you will see white blazes.

Hooch
03-26-2007, 11:03
:D Thanks for the info everyone, I really appreciate it. I pretty much got the same info on White Blaze. I've e-mailed Curtis at Standing Bear Farm to see how much to park my car there and shuttle me to Fontana Dam so I can start hiking NOBO back to Standing Bear. Just waiting for a reply @ this point. Hopefully I can get the rest of the bugs worked out so I can get the section hike going in early June, maybe the first weekend after school gets out. I'm really looking forward to it, can't wait to see how it goes. Thanks again for the intel, gang! :D

tight-wad
04-26-2007, 12:58
I just completed the exact trip you are planning: Curtis, shuttle to Fontana, hike to Standing Bear, the last week of March. Thumbs up to Curtis. The Gods were smiling on me - weather was mild and dry, unlike the next week which was stormy and freezing. You do need to get permits from GSMP, I met a Ranger and he asked for my papers. And, section hikers are required to sleep on 2x4s in the shelters (no hammocks). In my case a couple of Rangers and Ridge Runners were around at the shelters to enforce the rules.

Hooch
04-26-2007, 13:37
I just completed the exact trip you are planning: Curtis, shuttle to Fontana, hike to Standing Bear, the last week of March. Thumbs up to Curtis. The Gods were smiling on me - weather was mild and dry, unlike the next week which was stormy and freezing. You do need to get permits from GSMP, I met a Ranger and he asked for my papers. And, section hikers are required to sleep on 2x4s in the shelters (no hammocks). In my case a couple of Rangers and Ridge Runners were around at the shelters to enforce the rules.

Glad you had a good hike TightWad. My plans have changed to meet the upcoming SEHHA hangout in June. I'm starting at the I-40 crossing and, again, going NOBO to Hot Springs, ending up there on Friday, June 8 to attend the hangout. I'm catching a shuttle to the I-40 crossing from a friend who owns Creekridge Camping (www.creekridgecamping.com; sorry for the shameless plug) in Hot Springs and leaving my car there at the campground. I'm looking forward to it! I'm really excited about it because it'll be the first time I've hiked any portion of the AT since I was a Boy Scout back in the early 80's.

Ewker
04-26-2007, 14:07
Hooch, I posted my Ga AT trip report on White Blaze. Since there wasn't any hammocking in it I can't post it here.

Hooch
04-26-2007, 14:42
Hooch, I posted my Ga AT trip report on White Blaze. Since there wasn't any hammocking in it I can't post it here.

Thanks Ewker......have a link to it? :D

jlb2012
04-26-2007, 14:54
link to Ewker and Creek Dancer's TR: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24000

Ewker's pictures from trip: pics (http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/558772650VNFjhb)

Ewker
04-26-2007, 15:12
thanks HOI, I didn't want to get in trouble :rolleyes:

jlb2012
04-26-2007, 15:18
de nada - besides I don't think Creek Dancer comes around here so no worries

slowhike
04-26-2007, 22:49
ewker... i can't believe creek dancer let you post that picture of her in the privy:p
nice shots as usual. i'll have to get you to teach me a few more of the wild flowers sometime.

Bird Dog
04-26-2007, 23:06
Nice pics Ewker. What was the total distance / time to hike it? BD

Ewker
04-26-2007, 23:13
BD, we did 66.6 miles in 6 and half days. We took our time and enjoyed every minute of it. Neither one of us wanted to stop at Dicks Creek Gap :(

Slowhike, she knew I was taking it and didn't complain. She was a great hiking partner.

Hooch
04-27-2007, 05:12
Ewker, I enjoyed reading the trip report seeing the pics. Your photos are always very good. Thanks for sharing! I'm looking forward to posting my own. :D

Frolicking Dino
04-27-2007, 06:06
Hooch, there is a wildfire in the Big Creek area right now. You may want to check this site (http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/temproadclose.htm) to make sure it does not impact any of the facilities or backcountry sites you want to visit.

Hooch
04-27-2007, 06:10
Hooch, there is a wildfire in the Big Creek area right now. You may want to check this site (http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/temproadclose.htm) to make sure it does not impact any of the facilities or backcountry sites you want to visit.

Thanks for the heads up! :)

Ewker
04-27-2007, 07:59
Ewker, I enjoyed reading the trip report seeing the pics. Your photos are always very good. Thanks for sharing! I'm looking forward to posting my own. :D

can't wait to see them. That is a section I want to do, have fun and take lots of pictures.

Hooch
04-27-2007, 08:59
can't wait to see them. That is a section I want to do, have fun and take lots of pictures.

Thanks Ewker. Like I said, I'm VERY excited about making this trip. I have my vacation time at work (15 whole days!) approved already and am just counting down the days as I prepare for it. I'm doing LOTS of walking/light jogging (It has to be light, anyone who's seen me know's I'm not the fittest of dudes) and taking short day hikes near my home, but going at a MUCH faster pace than I normally would. I've already gotten an extra memory card for my digital camera and am planning on taking plenty of pics. I just hope my best friend/hiking partner doesn't bail out on me at the last sec, I don't mind going it alone, but would really like to have some company for the hike. It's still about 5 weeks away, but you know the old saying: Prior planning presents pi$$ poor performance. :p

Bird Dog
04-27-2007, 17:54
this may sound weird, but my planning for the Foothills Trail was just as much as part of the experience as the hike. Dont get me wrong, I enjoyed the hike much more, but the planning makes me feel like a kid on Christmas Eve. BD

Ewker
04-27-2007, 21:07
Bird Dog, the Foothill Trails is on my to do list. I may pick your brain when I get ready to do that one. Did you do a trip report or have some pics posted somewhere.

Coffee
04-27-2007, 21:17
this may sound weird, but my planning for the Foothills Trail was just as much as part of the experience as the hike. Dont get me wrong, I enjoyed the hike much more, but the planning makes me feel like a kid on Christmas Eve. BD

I'm with you on that. Planning is always fun.

Hooch
04-28-2007, 21:06

BD, HE, that's exactly how I feel about this hike. It's like being a kid again and waiting to open that first Christmas present. To add to the excitement, as I said, this is my first hike on the AT in YEARS. I have had a lot of fun working on the planning phases of the hike, making sure my gear is all in working order, planning menus, making supply lists, writing an itenerary, etc. And to top it all off, the end of my hike is the SEHHA June Hangout. It just doesn't get much better than that if you ask me. I'm getting anxious about it, but in a good way. I just can't wait to get on the trail again and enjoy the outdoors as they were meant to be. I know the hike itself will be a lot of work, but look at the payoff: great scenery, a great hike, a good time, communing with nature and just a plain old good time. Forgive me if I ramble on about it, but I can't wait! Did I mention I was excited?

Bird Dog
04-29-2007, 23:03
Bird Dog, the Foothill Trails is on my to do list. I may pick your brain when I get ready to do that one. Did you do a trip report or have some pics posted somewhere.

Yes I did a trip report and have lots of photos. But I dont have a place to post any of it (unless I do a trailjournals). If we can work it out and you want some company, I'll be your "walking trailguide" (did alot of planning) and you can tell me about all of the plants on the trail! I'll email you anything you want. Also have the map and the guidebook if you want to borrow it when the time nears. BD