PDA

View Full Version : where to camp in NJ, NY, PA etc in winter

William36
09-20-2013, 16:54
I have traditionally relied on State Park system for camping needs, as I ride motorcycle and need parking, etc, but this year want to go and am finally equipped to camp all winter(hiking and backpack options this year now)....

Any one have areas that are "winter" camping allowed as most State Parks, etc. shut up after about mid-October...

Help please......

kayak karl
09-20-2013, 17:16
the AT, white and Blue blazes

DuctTape
09-20-2013, 19:12
I am not familiar with the eastern part of PA, so I will leave that to the locals.

In NY, you can camp in almost all the State Forests in designated spots, or dispersed 150' from water/trail. An (incomplete) list of State Forests can be found here: http://www.dec.ny.gov/lands/34531.html

SnackPack
09-27-2013, 14:40
PA is absolutely LOADED with places to camp...plenty are accessible by motorcycle if you know where to look....
All of the AT in PA is campable in the winter. I suggest Jim Thrope area...Glen Onoka state park is nice...Rickets Glenn, Black Forest Trail just to name a few...
Next week ill be hiking the Loyalsock Trail, 59 miles starting in Lycoming County ending in Sullivan County....ill write a review of the LT upon completion next weekend

Pretbek
09-28-2013, 12:54
PA is absolutely LOADED with places to camp...plenty are accessible by motorcycle if you know where to look....

I don't know where to look. Could you edumekate me?
Finding a safe place for my motorcycle is my biggest concern.

hk2001
09-28-2013, 20:52
In NY, any PUBLIC property within the Adirondack or Catskill parks are fair game, 150' off roads, trails and water, as mentioned before.

Watch out for hunters though. Many of them, take "public" land to mean THEIR land during hunting season. There have been cases of people being shot at for intruding on a hunters staked out spot on public land.

kayak karl
09-28-2013, 21:04
I don't know where to look. Could you edumekate me?
Finding a safe place for my motorcycle is my biggest concern.
jersey pines are a short ride from chester.
MAP (http://goo.gl/maps/WQKE)

SnackPack
09-28-2013, 22:12
Check into weiser state forest and ricketts glenn

Seeker
09-29-2013, 07:54
Hunting season is generally over by mid-late December, depending on the state. In NY, look at snowmobile and cross-country skiing trails. In the summer, those are firebreaks/lanes, and lead to some pretty backwoods country in the winter. With skis and a pulk, you're in business!

jerzybears
09-30-2013, 20:37
Catskills always gets my vote!