PDA

View Full Version : PA>Dingmans Campground>10/18-20/2013

Pages : [1] 2

Knotty
09-20-2013, 22:05
In this thread, JollyGreen suggested an alternate group hang option (https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=79612) for those who can't make it all the way to MAHHA in WV this Fall. Dingmans Campground (http://www.dingmanscampground.com/) on the Delaware River looked like a good option, so we'll use this as the official planning thread.

CLICK FOR SIGNUP SHEET (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmMihJZLsDL0dE5ULTRNaWdYbDJNTksycmw1QXRGT EE&usp=sharing)

I visited Dingmans this week to see which sites would work for a small to medium group of hangers. There were a few areas that could work, the best being sites 18, 19 and 20, which could easily be expanded to sites 15, 16 and 21 (jump to 3:40 in video to see only this area). This video shows the sites and a little about the area (jump to 5:20 to see river & falls).
0EjXz00Txfo

Each campsite is limited to 10 people. They charge $35 for the first four people and $8 for each additional adult or $6 for children under 12. It's hard to tell if each site can accommodate 10 hammocks but they probably can. So we need to get a count of how many people are committing to attending and then figure out how to handle the money.

Zilla
09-20-2013, 22:30
My wife and i are in.... 2 total here

This will be our first group hang with members of the forum, Hope to meet some good people and have a great hang
Not new to hanging, just new to you guys but everybody has to have a first to have a second and so on!

Dylan
09-21-2013, 08:33
I'm in, and I may bring one of my boys (age 7). Any one else thinking of bringing kids?

Knotty
09-21-2013, 10:55
FWIW, Mrs. Knotty will most likely attend with me.

Zilla
09-21-2013, 12:24
In this thread, JollyGreen suggested an alternate group hang option (https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=79612) for those who can't make it all the way to MAHHA in WV this Fall. Dingmans Campground (http://www.dingmanscampground.com/) on the Delaware River looked like a good option, so we'll use this as the official planning thread.

I visited Dingmans this week to see which sites would work for a small to medium group of hangers. There were a few areas that could work, the best being sites 18, 19 and 20, which could easily be expanded to sites 15, 16 and 21 (jump to 3:40 in video to see only this area). This video shows the sites and a little about the area.
0EjXz00Txfo

Each campsite is limited to 10 people. They charge $35 for the first four people and $8 for each additional adult or $6 for children under 12. It's hard to tell if each site can accommodate 10 hammocks but they probably can. So we need to get a count of how many people are committing to attending and then figure out how to handle the money.

Great scouting Knotty, i totaly agree the 17 thru 20 area looks prime and the area around 80 is not too shabby either!

Very good options, and by the way try to talk your wife into coming, being my wifes first group hang the more women that are there the more comfortable she will be.
She would be fine either way but the more the merrier.

We dont have any kids Dylan but i am sure he will have a good time anyway, why not?

Knotty, Do you plan on starting a sign up spreadsheet?

Knotty
09-21-2013, 16:03
A signup spreadsheet is a good idea (DONE, see first post). Have never done a public Google docs before but it shouldn't be to hard to figure out. Stay tuned.

Also, unless someone wants to take on the roll of organizing group meals or something, I'm assuming it's every hammocker for themselves?

JollyGreen
09-22-2013, 14:43
I'm in of course, thanks for doing the leg work Knotty as well as setting up the spreadsheet.

Zilla
09-22-2013, 15:23
As far as the food goes and being that it looks like we will be a small group i think every hanger for themselves is ok.
But having atleast one meal as a group together might be nice, like maybe a pot luck dinner on saturday night,
My wife is an excellant cook and could come up with something nice!

Please let me know what everyone thinks,we could probably add a colum to the spreadsheet for that if everyone agreas ??

SilvrSurfr
09-22-2013, 15:47
Thanks for the recon, Knotty - looks like a fine site. I'm definitely interested, but will have to see if I can get that weekend off from work.

Knotty
09-22-2013, 15:53
Group meal column added.

Zilla
09-22-2013, 16:09
Group meal column added.

Awsome, thanks Knotty

perrito
09-22-2013, 19:03
Count me in!

mattyoc20
09-22-2013, 19:20
The wife and I are in

SkyPainter
09-22-2013, 21:31
===> I am a strong maybe for this one, depending on the Cosmos.

~ SkyPainter

JayS
09-22-2013, 23:43
I'll be there! Can't wait.

Can we get a facsimile of J.D. sitting at the sign-in board waving at everyone?!? (That's what he did at the 2010 hang... when we were the only folks in the entire campground.)

I looked through the Dingman's Campground website and others for dates of operation. Saw somewhere that it is open all year. But, based on last time (end of December 2010) when the bathrooms were closed for the year, do you know if the bathrooms will be open? It might make a difference to the better half and get her to come.

Zilla
09-23-2013, 06:46
Ok ,looking for some advise here, My wife spent a couple of hours last night looking at campground in the poconos info.
It all started when she went to look up Dingmans to check out the campground website and somehow she ended up reading post after post about BEARS!
She is now totaly freaked out about the bears, talking about this time of year all they do is eat to get ready to hibernate and how we will all look like taco dinners in our hammock!
I am sure alot of you guys have camped in bear country plenty of times and any thing that might ease her concerns would be helpful.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmMihJZLsDL0dE5ULTRNaWdYbDJNTksycmw1QXRGT EE&usp=sharing

Ratdog
09-23-2013, 07:13
There are bears in Wharton State Forest, Lebanon State Forest, Greenwood Wildlife Management Area if that helps. They only make the news if the wander into Mt Laurel or Delran.

Don't cook where you sleep, don't take a cheeseburger to bed, they go for the easy pickin's like coolers left outside, stuff left on the picnic table, that sort of thing. Mostly the walk around sniffing out food and we are not food for black bears.

if there are any dogs in the group, they will make a fuss at the bears and Yogi hates Fido.

Zilla
09-23-2013, 07:29
There are bears in Wharton State Forest, Lebanon State Forest, Greenwood Wildlife Management Area if that helps. They only make the news if the wander into Mt Laurel or Delran.

Don't cook where you sleep, don't take a cheeseburger to bed, they go for the easy pickin's like coolers left outside, stuff left on the picnic table, that sort of thing. Mostly the walk around sniffing out food and we are not food for black bears.

if there are any dogs in the group, they will make a fuss at the bears and Yogi hates Fido.

Well put,but when i say it i am just trying to talk her into going, she says that i dont worry about anything but i do.
Your post is perfect considering a half hour hike thru the woods from my backyard puts me in lebanon state forest!
Thanks alot, btw are you thinking about signing up for this trip?, looks like we have plenty of room

mrcheviot
09-23-2013, 08:13
I've stayed at Dingman's a handful of times, great campground w/ super friendly staff. They do charge for cooking/grill rings though, so bring your own if you have one.

Also, re: bears I've not yet seen one at the campground, but as mentioned there are plenty in the woods in the DWA and I've only seen them crossing some roads in the area. In my experience they've been smallish black bears, and they're fairly skittish. Take care of your food and there shouldn't be any issues.

pinballwizard
09-23-2013, 08:37
Hi hangers,

I'm newer to the forum, (which has been amazingly helpful at the tent/hammock conversion), and though I hear about group hangs from misc posts, I don't know the etiquette involved. Is this open to all that are interested? I don't want to be presumptuous if there is a protocol for who is invited to attend. This looks fun though, and I think my gf and I would be interested in joining.

WV
09-23-2013, 09:00
Hi hangers,

I'm newer to the forum, (which has been amazingly helpful at the tent/hammock conversion), and though I hear about group hangs from misc posts, I don't know the etiquette involved. Is this open to all that are interested? I don't want to be presumptuous if there is a protocol for who is invited to attend. This looks fun though, and I think my gf and I would be interested in joining.
The etiquette for all posted hangs is the same as the forum itself: all welcome. You'll learn a lot, too. People just as friendly and willing to share information in person as they are on the forum. Go try out some hammocks. :)

Ramblinrev
09-23-2013, 09:05
You are not allowed to be there if you don't want to come. Otherwise it is a case of the more the merrier. Protocol, such as it is, dictates a family friendly attitude with a willingness to welcome all except for those that don't show up. I don't know the details for this one, but normally food sharing is quasi expected for the Saturday evening meal. Otherwise to each their own. Not sure how the money is going to be handled but I'm sure that will fall into place.

Zilla
09-23-2013, 10:02
Hi hangers,

Sign up sheetis here https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmMihJZLsDL0dE5ULTRNaWdYbDJNTksycmw1QXRGT EE&usp=sharing Please only sign up if you are sure that you are coming, you can allways change your mind as long as you let everyone know and update the sign up spreadsheet,
The more the merrier!!!

pinballwizard
09-23-2013, 13:06
Thanks for the responses all, and thanks for doing the scout work Knotty. I believe the lady and I will be joining (Just have to make sure she can get free of work). We just were not too far from Dingman's a few weks ago, when we went to Stokes State Forrest for a family camping trip. Stokes was really nice too, with some some really great spots for hanging, and they are $20 a site or $3 per person on group sites.

I looked through the Dingman's Campground website and others for dates of operation. Saw somewhere that it is open all year. But, based on last time (end of December 2010) when the bathrooms were closed for the year, do you know if the bathrooms will be open? It might make a difference to the better half and get her to come.

JayS, I called Digman's and checked into the bathrooms; they are open year round with hot water as well as showers. As far as camping goes, your wife cannot do much better than this. :lol:

Also, count me in for contribution to Saturday night's dinner. I have a few ideas of some I things could make. Does it make sense to have a few of us team up to go in on some main course dishes?

Knotty
09-23-2013, 22:02
Just a quick reminder that ground dwellers are welcome. If you have a spouse or friend that's hesitant to come because they don't do hammocks (yet) they're welcome to bring a tent. Heck, Mrs. Knotty plans to sleep in the back of our SUV.

SkyPainter
09-23-2013, 23:07
Ok ,looking for some advise here, My wife spent a couple of hours last night looking at campground in the poconos info.
It all started when she went to look up Dingmans to check out the campground website and somehow she ended up reading post after post about BEARS!
She is now totaly freaked out about the bears, talking about this time of year all they do is eat to get ready to hibernate and how we will all look like taco dinners in our hammock!
I am sure alot of you guys have camped in bear country plenty of times and any thing that might ease her concerns would be helpful.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmMihJZLsDL0dE5ULTRNaWdYbDJNTksycmw1QXRGT EE&usp=sharing

====> Listen, tell your wife if a Bear invades our hang, and I am there, we will be having Bear Chops for dinner! Not to worry!

~ SkyPainter

JollyGreen
09-24-2013, 13:39
====> Listen, tell your wife if a Bear invades our hang, and I am there, we will be having Bear Chops for dinner! Not to worry!

~ SkyPainter

You realize this is the same weekend as the great pumpkin hang?

SkyPainter
09-24-2013, 13:42
You realize this is the same weekend as the great pumpkin hang?

===> D'OH! Too many hangs!!! I will be at the Great Pumpkin Hang. Sheesh! Not enough weekends in the year!

Thanks...

~ Sky

perrito
09-24-2013, 13:58
And there go the bear chops.

JollyGreen
09-24-2013, 14:04

We'll have to persuade him to head to Dingmans. Maybe he doesn't know about the great fly fishing on the Delaware river or the pig roast I'm trying to work out.

Zilla
09-24-2013, 14:15
We'll have to persuade him to head to Dingmans. Maybe he doesn't know about the great fly fishing on the Delaware river or the pig roast I'm trying to work out.

Pig roast ? I thought you were in charge of the green beans ho ho ho

Wow but that does sound good, Ok sorry about the green bean joke.

Knotty
09-24-2013, 17:23
Pig roast? Yes, yes, yes yes!

mrcheviot
09-24-2013, 17:24
There's a decent grocery store up the road in Milford FWIW.

I might join the hang on Sat after a morning work commitment. Usually earmarked as my Mahlon Dickerson weekend, and unless I take a newbie out for a hike & hang in the Catskils I wouldn't mind the extra 45 min drive.

Zilla
09-24-2013, 20:55
There's a decent grocery store up the road in Milford FWIW.

I might join the hang on Sat after a morning work commitment. Usually earmarked as my Mahlon Dickerson weekend, and unless I take a newbie out for a hike & hang in the Catskils I wouldn't mind the extra 45 min drive.

You are certainly welcome, the more the merrier...:

This is starting to sound like a really good time, now time is moving slower, lets go october!

JollyGreen
09-27-2013, 07:53
If we could update the spreadsheet that would be great. HF members that have expressed interest but have not entered on the spreadsheet are:

Space4DaPoppa
Union41Proud
Black Foot
SilvrSurfr
Ratdog
jerzeybears
Deadphans
G...Hawk
OldNWay
tdomer
bundy71
mattyoc20 and Red Van Winkle
Ramblinrev

All are welcome, trying to get a good number to reserve sites so please update the spreadsheet when you can, thanks.

JollyGreen
09-27-2013, 07:55
This list is HF members that have already expressed interest, this hang is open to ALL HF members and friends to be clear.

Ratdog
09-27-2013, 16:26
ok we are in for 2, cleared with work...
will figure out pot luck contribution this weekend

if there will be a raffle, will figure out a couple things to kick in

need to check on dogs being a go or no go

will bring a couple wbbb's, parachute hammocks and diy tablecloths to demo

also, can bring some chert or real flint if there are any bushcrafters showing up

thx for making this happen gang

Ratdog
09-27-2013, 16:28
don't know about kids yet, anywhere from none to 5 or 6, need to check soccer schedules, could be 0

Zilla
09-27-2013, 16:56
ok we are in for 2, cleared with work...
will figure out pot luck contribution this weekend

if there will be a raffle, will figure out a couple things to kick in

need to check on dogs being a go or no go

will bring a couple wbbb's, parachute hammocks and diy tablecloths to demo

also, can bring some chert or real flint if there are any bushcrafters showing up

thx for making this happen gang

I Asked knotty about the raffle idea and this was his response

Scott -Feel free to edit the sign up sheet as needed. For a raffle, someone will need to take the lead and handle organizing it, tickets, etc. I'm not sure our event is big enough to support a raffle but I have no objections. In the past, Dylan has setup a pay it fwd bucket, where people put in a piece of gear they no longer need and take any item they're interested in. That's a possible alternative .

Any input ??

I can alxo dig up 1-2 items for a raffle, looks like its starting to shape up, Thanks jolly for the push!

P-47ChowHound
09-27-2013, 20:40
I am in for 1 and will do what ever is needed.

SilvrSurfr
09-27-2013, 21:35
Still waiting on my work schedule but I'm pretty sure I can make it Saturday night. I probably won't commit till a couple of days before the hang.

SilvrSurfr
09-27-2013, 22:00
If we're gonna have a pig, we should have a raw bar: oysters and clams on the half shell; then we could also have roasted oysters and clams, shrimp on the barbie, mussels in white wine and garlic.

Anybody know a good seafood distributor?

SilvrSurfr
09-27-2013, 22:13
And caviar, with capers and chopped egg and onion served on toast, and a bottle of Russian vodka frozen into a block of ice.

SnackPack
09-28-2013, 11:39
def interested in this hang, have off that weekend....let me talk to my better half and get permission :).....ill keep you guys posted, more of a lurker than a poster but would like to meet some of you guys and put faces with names .....

jerzybears
09-29-2013, 07:59

Phew....:)

jerzybears
09-29-2013, 08:01
We wanna come. Gotta look at my schedule. Might have to be after work.

EZ-DOES-IT
09-29-2013, 11:08
I am also thinking of going.
Was thinking of doing two over nights in Stokes one at Brink Road the other at Gren Anderson then onto Dingmans for my first group hang.
If anyone else is interested in this two nighter let me know. I plan on parking a Culver's Gap parking lot.
Right now just thoughts.
Will know more when the date gets a little closer.
I am a newbie and need some hanging under my belt.
Looking forward to meeting everyone.

pinballwizard
09-29-2013, 21:56
I am also thinking of going.
Was thinking of doing two over nights in Stokes one at Brink Road the other at Gren Anderson then onto Dingmans for my first group hang.
If anyone else is interested in this two nighter let me know. I plan on parking a Culver's Gap parking lot.
Right now just thoughts.
Will know more when the date gets a little closer.
I am a newbie and need some hanging under my belt.
Looking forward to meeting everyone.

We were just at Stokes and thought that Lake Ocquittunk was the good spot there. They seem to have the best bathrooms, while still in the woods enough. Site 12 was where we stayed and that was very secluded from other sites. However, there aren't enough trees for a group hang there. But while my family dwelled on the ground, my gf and I found some trees that were great.
Site 19 and all the sites around that loop are good, and 19 is riddled with trees. However, I don't know if the bathroom around that loop is operational yet.
I believe the early numbers (1-7, but I am not sure of the numbers) would be very ideal for a group hang, and though the sites are on top of each other, they are nicely in lots of trees, and at this time of year, you get less yokels. Besides, the sites being practically connected work well for groups, imo
YMMV and HYOH :D:D:D:D:D

Suede
09-30-2013, 17:14
You got 17 on the sign up sheet??? Dang Jolly, outstanding! I don't know yet whether I'm out of town or not yet so I'm not signing up. I should know in a week or so. Actually the fact that I happen to be very busy at work maybe in my favor as I may not be able to take the 3days off I would need to leave town. One day might be easier ;)

Ratdog
09-30-2013, 18:33
I like the idea of the PIF bucket.

Sites down by the water not really an option?
probably already booked?

Knotty
09-30-2013, 21:06
I like the idea of the PIF bucket.

Sites down by the water not really an option?
probably already booked?

Riverfront was the first place I looked. Unfortunately they just don't work for hangers. Many wouldn't even work with just one hammock.

I also like the PIF bucket. Everyone has a piece of gear they just don't need anymore that they can toss in. One man's junk is another man's treasure.

tat2ITgeek
09-30-2013, 21:15
I am really interested in attending. I think I will find this really educational!! I am new to hanging and I think this will be a great trip. I have to check and see if I can take off for this. ( I am getting flack for not taking vacation time from my job!!)

mrcheviot
10-01-2013, 22:32
Riverfront was the first place I looked. Unfortunately they just don't work for hangers. Many wouldn't even work with just one hammock.

I also like the PIF bucket. Everyone has a piece of gear they just don't need anymore that they can toss in. One man's junk is another man's treasure.

There are two or three sites to the far right as you face the river (down the little path) that work for hanging, but otherwise I concur they're not the best. The river access is nice of course, although that tends to be the buggiest area in the whole campground IMO.

Might have mentioned this before, but for anyone who hasn't been the fire rings at Dingman's are very basic, no grill attached at any of the sites I've been to at least. They do sell them in the store, but it's obviously preferable to bring your own. Round charcoal grill types fit perfect, but others work just fine. Firewood sold at the store by the wheelbarrow full.

Still can't confirm my attendance, but if I'm able to make it I'll bring along some folding wood stoves for folks to play around with (Emberlit + Element Ti), think the PIF idea is a good one and would also be willing to teach or show people how to splice (think make your own whoopies/ucr/srl kinda deal). And perhaps desert on Sat, thinking cinn rolls or cobbler or something in my dutch oven.

Knotty (or anyone really) - out of curiosity have you ever hung at Mahlon Dickerson? The tent area only has 10 sites (I think), but it's become my go to spot for camping relaxation. No camp store but lovely sites, good hiking trails & mtb, super grills on the fire rings, and firewood is _cheap_!

tat2ITgeek
10-01-2013, 22:37
I got the time off!! I am going to sign up right after I post this.

Knotty
10-01-2013, 23:48
Mrcheviot - hope you can attend. Also good to know about Mahlon Dickerson. That's pretty close to me yet I had never considered it.

Tat2ITgeek - so glad you'll be able to make it.

mrcheviot
10-02-2013, 08:21
Mrcheviot - hope you can attend. Also good to know about Mahlon Dickerson. That's pretty close to me yet I had never considered it.

Other nice thing(s) about MD are the proximity to Lake Hopatcong, and the nearby shopping center which has Pathmark (eh), beer/liquor store, and the diner which isn't half bad for mornings when you don't feel like cooking at the campsite. Plus they have decent Adirondack shelters if you're going with non-hangers.

Knotty
10-02-2013, 10:56
Would rather not change horses midstream, so I think we'll stick with Dingmans for this event. Will checkout Mahlon Dickerson in the future.

mrcheviot
10-02-2013, 12:29
Of course, wasn't intending or suggesting an alternate venue for this event - just an off-topic ramble.

Ratdog
10-02-2013, 18:43
I think we are going to do a little flyfishing over at Big Flatbrook on one of the days.

Dylan
10-02-2013, 18:50
Dingman's Campground is a private vendor in the DWGNRA, right? Shouldn't be impacted by the government shutdown? All the Park Service stuff is closed.

Dylan
10-02-2013, 18:51
I think we are going to do a little flyfishing over at Big Flatbrook on one of the days.

I was thinking about doing that on Sunday after the hang.

perrito
10-02-2013, 20:59
An FYI,
The MAHHA guys just had a spreadsheet scare. They thought that it had been vandalized and deleted. It might be a good idea for the spreadsheet owner to create a non-shared copy and to updated it occasionally to avoid a similar problem.

Knotty
10-02-2013, 21:30
WV gave me a heads up about that earlier so I tried to make a copy. Couldn't figure out how, at least not from an ipad, but I did save a copy as a jpg with a screenshot.

tat2ITgeek
10-03-2013, 00:27
What time roughly is everyone meeting??

JollyGreen
10-03-2013, 04:20
What time roughly is everyone meeting??

Just filter in when you can, no set time.

EZ-DOES-IT
10-03-2013, 10:42
Will something be announced as to what sites we are using ?
This is my first group hang and looking forward to seeing everyone and just want to know where to go and what time on the 18th.
Thanks and look forward to this-:)

Zilla
10-03-2013, 11:03
In countdown mode!...:D:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

JollyGreen
10-03-2013, 11:05
Will something be announced as to what sites we are using ?
This is my first group hang and looking forward to seeing everyone and just want to know where to go and what time on the 18th.
Thanks and look forward to this-:)

Easy does it.... LOL We'll announce as soon as we secure sites, thanks

JollyGreen
10-03-2013, 12:13
As of today 10/3/2013 due to the government shutdown, Dingmans Campground is TEMPORARILY closed. We are looking for a secondary spot for this hang as we speak. Hopefully this will be resolved by then and if it is, we still plan to have this at Dingmans. Suggestions for secondary spots are welcome that we can look at, but again if Dingmans is open we plan on meeting there, sorry for the unfortunate news.

JollyGreen

Black Foot
10-03-2013, 12:30
As of today 10/3/2013 due to the government shutdown, Dingmans Campground is TEMPORARILY closed. We are looking for a secondary spot for this hang as we speak. Hopefully this will be resolved by then and if it is, we still plan to have this at Dingmans. Suggestions for secondary spots are welcome that we can look at, but again if Dingmans is open we plan on meeting there, sorry for the unfortunate news.

JollyGreen

501 might be a good fall back....

JollyGreen
10-03-2013, 12:31
501 might be a good fall back....

Not sure the 501 will hold that many.

Ratdog
10-03-2013, 12:38
Grrrrrrrrrrrr...

sigh, it was bound to happen I guess...

Action Plan Bravo initiate.

Technically, can we use any section of the AT off trail 150ft?

I am ok w/ primitive but will lose my +1.

Zilla
10-03-2013, 12:50
I dont know that area very well but is Mahlon Dickerson an option ? i heard another member talking about it recently.

mrcheviot
10-03-2013, 15:53
Just called Mahlon Dickerson, they are not impacted by the shutdown as they are a state park, so only federal parks (like Del Water Gap NATIONAL Rec Area) are.

For the weekend of the 19th, they have 7 tent sites and 3 adirondack shelters available. Site #8 has already been taken.

My conservative guess is that each site could support 2-3 hammocks. They've never given me an issue about being slightly outside of the site "boundaries" since sometimes the best trees are past the tent platforms, but each site will vary a bit.

http://www.morrisparks.net/aspparks/mahlonmain.asp

Map can be seen here: http://www.morrisparks.net/pdfs/2013%20Mahlon%20Camping%20Brochure.pdf

I'm not advocating it necessarily, just providing info to the organizers.

mrcheviot
10-03-2013, 16:04
Also came across Promised Land State Park, 4 campsite areas in the park.. http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateparks/findapark/promisedland/index.htm#camping

Knotty
10-03-2013, 19:05
Drove thru Mahlon Dickerson today. As mrcheviot noted, sites can accommodate 2 maybe 3 hammocks each. Not as good as Dingmans but workable. I'm ok with moving the hang there, but how will we handle the site reservations? Fortunately each site is only $14 per nite. I noticed that every site was booked for this weekend, so if we want it for our dates we should act fast sine basically we need all the sites.

mrcheviot
10-03-2013, 19:21
I'm inclined to agree w/ knotty FWIW, Mahlon is good for perhaps up to 8 people, otherwise it'll feel like the group is very strung out (no pun intended) due to distance btw suitable trees and sites.

JollyGreen
10-03-2013, 19:39
I'm inclined to agree w/ knotty FWIW, Mahlon is good for perhaps up to 8 people, otherwise it'll feel like the group is very strung out (no pun intended) due to distance btw suitable trees and sites.

There is already 20 or so signed up with 3 possibles, and maybe 5-8 more that haven't signed up yet.

Dylan
10-03-2013, 19:39
What about the group sites at Round Valley as an alternative? Its not car camping, but it's a very short walk in. And it's absolutely loaded with trees.

SilvrSurfr
10-03-2013, 19:40
If the government shutdown is still going on by hang date, I would be highly surprised. We should probably wait till Monday 10/7 before changing plans, in my opinion.

JollyGreen
10-03-2013, 19:44
If the government shutdown is still going on by hang date, I would be highly surprised. We should probably wait till Monday 10/7 before changing plans, in my opinion.

I agree, as I said if it is over by our date we will still use Dingmans. I'd hate to change and pay for a spot and then the shutdown be over.

Knotty
10-03-2013, 19:57
Alright, so we take a wait and see approach.

Suede
10-03-2013, 20:28
Ok looks like I don't have to leave town that week so Jane and I are coming!

Perrito, Jane says to get your Hot Tamali aka your wife, to the hang. She says she will take care of her! JUST. DO. IT.

:lol:

perrito
10-03-2013, 20:48
Ok looks like I don't have to leave town that week so Jane and I are coming!

Perrito, Jane says to get your Hot Tamali aka your wife, to the hang. She says she will take care of her! JUST. DO. IT.

Easier said than done. Any dogs coming, to keep the bears away? It might help convince her.
:scared:

Suede
10-03-2013, 21:03
Easier said than done. Any dogs coming, to keep the bears away? It might help convince her.

What bears? Maybe some Jersey Bears will keep those PA bears at bay.

pinballwizard
10-03-2013, 21:25

JollyGreen

Just a thought of alternative, but only if we need one. Stokes is pretty nice, inexpensive, and lots and and lots of trees. At stokes, I believe Lake Ocquittunk is the best choice because they have the bathrooms with hot water and showers, yet it's still in the woods. I'm sure we will be back on track at Digman's before the trip date, but this is a good "just in case" If this becomes more entertained, I have some site selection thoughts

Zilla
10-03-2013, 21:27
I agree with jolly and knotty, we wait and see,,imo it is hard to imagine the shut down lasting that long, my wife is what is called mission essentual so she is required to work but alot of her friends are not so we are hopeful of a speedy resolution

Ratdog
10-04-2013, 00:05

Thinking about bringing 2.

One is a living, breathing alarm system, a rat terrier.
The other a Shiba Inu, tough little dogs.

They've barked at bear in Maine and Canada. For some reason, they didn't care about moose.

Porkroll
10-06-2013, 19:13
Unfortunately I can not attend. I hope every one has a great time. Happy hanging.

pinballwizard
10-06-2013, 19:14
I saw on the signup sheet that we are about 22 confirmed and 2 possible. I know we are still about two weeks out, but I'm wondering if this list will be an accurate way to know how many we will be when we get closer to the date? I ask because I want to know how much Pizza I will need to make for sat night's dinner.
Also, this is my first group hang as well as PIF bucket. Is there a guideline as far as desirable gear? I had some extra, but in perfect shape, cast iron cookware I was considering bringing, but I don't know if there is a lightweight, back-packable-gear-only guideline, or if gear should only be hammock related?
Thanks all, I'm really looking forward to this

JollyGreen
10-06-2013, 20:50
I saw on the signup sheet that we are about 22 confirmed and 2 possible. I know we are still about two weeks out, but I'm wondering if this list will be an accurate way to know how many we will be when we get closer to the date? I ask because I want to know how much Pizza I will need to make for sat night's dinner.
Also, this is my first group hang as well as PIF bucket. Is there a guideline as far as desirable gear? I had some extra, but in perfect shape, cast iron cookware I was considering bringing, but I don't know if there is a lightweight, back-packable-gear-only guideline, or if gear should only be hammock related?
Thanks all, I'm really looking forward to this

This is car camping at it's best. Bring all you want and leave some or all in your car.

pinballwizard
10-06-2013, 21:46
This is car camping at it's best. Bring all you want and leave some or all in your car.

Thanks Jolly, but I think maybe I didn't ask my question properly. There was talk of a pay if forward swap bucket; to my understanding this means bring a piece of gear that you no longer need, and possibly pick up a new-to-you piece from the pile. Just wasn't sure if, or what, the standard of gear is. I wasn't sure if cast iron cookware would fit the bill.
Thanks again

JollyGreen
10-06-2013, 21:54
Oh ok, I'm not sure how that's gonna work. I'll probably bring something backpacking useful, but cast iron cookware is great for car camping. I'm sure someone will appreciate it.

SilvrSurfr
10-06-2013, 22:48
Is anybody gonna hike? I seriously need some exercise.

JollyGreen
10-07-2013, 05:49
Are you talking about a hike in or a saturday hike? I'm not sure when I'm getting there yet, depends on that work thing but I wouldn't mind a hike somewhere that weekend.

EZ-DOES-IT
10-07-2013, 09:21

see post #47
if interested let me know.
Right now it's on.
This will be my first overnighter with the Hammock and I feel confident with the hang.

SkyPainter
10-07-2013, 21:27

===> Dude....I get enough exercise just pushing my luck!

~ SkyPainter. BTW... I found it amazing you didn't get soaked when raiff tipped the tarp at the Fall NEHHA!

perrito
10-07-2013, 21:59
===> Dude....I get enough exercise just pushing my luck!

And the peanut gallery groans......

Pro Vagabond
10-08-2013, 12:59
After a little hiatus, I'm back in hammock mode. Just signed up and looking forward to getting into the woods. I really hope the government gets their S#!t together so we can hang at Dingman's.

I attached a couple pics from 2010. See everyone soon! :)

JollyGreen
10-08-2013, 13:08
After a little hiatus, I'm back in hammock mode. Just signed up and looking forward to getting into the woods. I really hope the government gets their S#!t together so we can hang at Dingman's.

Did you just say (government) and (gets their S#!t together) in the same sentence?

Demeter
10-08-2013, 18:40
I think I am in. This is two hours closer than wv. The only reason that I will not officially RSVP is that my family wants to come, but they are fair weather campers. I can't commit until the weatherman says it won't sleet or anything crazy :)

JollyGreen
10-08-2013, 19:44
I think I am in. This is two hours closer than wv. The only reason that I will not officially RSVP is that my family wants to come, but they are fair weather campers. I can't commit until the weatherman says it won't sleet or anything crazy :)

Amy, have you read through this thread? Just to warn you the campground is currently closed due to the government shutdown. We are hoping it turns around and plan on this group hang if so. Bring the family, the more the merrier.

Demeter
10-08-2013, 19:55
Yep, I've read the thread. I understand about the shutdown. We are flexible about the site. I am not a princess; don't need hot running water. Is 501 a fall back if fed lands are still closed?

SilvrSurfr
10-08-2013, 20:43
I imagine any state park is a fallback. It's just a shame we spent the money on reservations already. I would suggest we look at alternatives around now, but I'm still fairly confident that this government shutdown will be resolved sooner rather than later - it's political and economic suicide and I just can't imagine the posturing will go on much longer.

There's always Batona Camp in the Pine Barrens!

JollyGreen
10-08-2013, 20:58
I imagine any state park is a fallback. It's just a shame we spent the money on reservations already. I would suggest we look at alternatives around now, but I'm still fairly confident that this government shutdown will be resolved sooner rather than later - it's political and economic suicide and I just can't imagine the posturing will go on much longer.

There's always Batona Camp in the Pine Barrens!

We haven't made any reservations yet.

JollyGreen
10-08-2013, 21:02
Yep, I've read the thread. I understand about the shutdown. We are flexible about the site. I am not a princess; don't need hot running water. Is 501 a fall back if fed lands are still closed?

The 501 can't hold more than maybe 8 or 9 comfortably. We are looking at alternate sites now and should know better shortly. Amy, I'm looking forward to seeing all your new cuben bling.

pinballwizard
10-08-2013, 21:08
what is the 501?

JollyGreen
10-08-2013, 21:19
what is the 501?

You want the 411 on the 501?

JollyGreen
10-08-2013, 21:24
what is the 501?

The 501 is a shelter on the AT that we meet at frequently.

perrito
10-08-2013, 21:30
You want the 411 on the 501?

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view4/1276970/lurch-o.gif

Knotty
10-08-2013, 21:49
Like Jeff wrote, we're looking at alternatives. Unfortunately that could change the tone of this hang as it could go from car camping to requiring a short hike. Dylan's suggestion of the group sites at Round Valley is being considered. 3 mile hike.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Round_Valley_Reservoir
http://www.state.nj.us/dep/parksandforests/parks/round.html
http://www.state.nj.us/dep/parksandforests/parks/maps/rvramapletterpage.pdf

pinballwizard
10-08-2013, 21:55
Jolly - thanks for the 411 on the 501.

As far as alternatives, is Stokes being considered? I agree with silvrsurfr though, I don't think the shutdown will outlast the camp date.

Ratdog
10-08-2013, 23:15
If it is not car camping, I am down to a single.

Brendan Byrne (formerly Lebanon) has bathrooms and showers.
Batona has outhouses but is a bit more isolated.
Lower Forge?
Goshen Pond has some ok group sites, the one at the end being the best. (Again outhouses)

Still, I'd rather do northwest Jersey or Pa Gap area stuff.
I'd even do Catskills.

Demeter
10-09-2013, 04:47
The 501 can't hold more than maybe 8 or 9 comfortably. We are looking at alternate sites now and should know better shortly. Amy, I'm looking forward to seeing all your new cuben bling.

Haha, I thought about changing my name to the Cuben Princess :)

Zilla
10-09-2013, 07:58
My wife and i have decided that we will not be attending this hang. My wife has over 20 use it or lose it vacation days built up and will not be able to use many of them in nov or dec as others have allready schedualed their time off then.
Her best friend got married and moved to nc 3 years ago and we have not seen her since the wedding, so the wife made me a deal that if we could go spend a week in NC we could go to the WV Watoga state hang on the way down.

I agreed to this as i really want to get my first group hang in and with all the uncertainty with where this hang is gonna end up it just makes sense to us, besides if it becomes a hike in she would be out anyway.

I am sorry about the last minute change as i was really looking foward to this and to meeting all of you guys,, but making my wife happy comes first.
I Wlll most likely get a chance to meet some of you at the winter hang in ME.

I Hope it all works out good for you guys and have a GREAT hang !

Knotty
10-09-2013, 10:46
No problem zilla. Wish you could be there, wherever there is, but we appreciate the heads up.

Knotty
10-09-2013, 15:13

Vagabond, so good to have you back. It's always good to have one of the "cool hangers" participating.

Knotty
10-10-2013, 20:44
With our scheduled hang being only a week away and Dingman's still closed due to the federal budget shutdown, I went looking for an alternative.

Round Valley isn't going to work for various reasons. I thought Jenny Jump state forest would be the answer but the available sites just didn't have the trees needed for hanging. So I went over to nearby Stephens State Park (http://www.state.nj.us/dep/parksandforests/parks/stephens.html) on the Musconetcong River near Hackettstown, NJ. While most sites didn't work, there were four in a row that did. Only issue is Stephens allows just two cars per site. But for the moment it looks like our best alternative.

Here's a video:
eHcnLQa9vik

If the federal budget issue isn't resolved in the next few days, we'll reserve at Stephens. Stay tuned.

Dylan
10-10-2013, 20:53
Looks nice Knotty. If we had to, we could always grab a few more sites just for parking cars.

tat2ITgeek
10-10-2013, 21:21
I have a question, from what I read on the Dingmans campground site they are closed for the 2013 season. Not because of the government shutdown. Am I wrong?

Knotty
10-10-2013, 21:59
I have a question, from what I read on the Dingmans campground site they are closed for the 2013 season. Not because of the government shutdown. Am I wrong?

I'm going to guess that they decided to throw in the towel since they were so close to their normally scheduled shutdown anyway. I'm bummed, since Dingmans is my preference.

mrcheviot
10-10-2013, 23:07
Shame about Dingmans.. I mentioned it a bit earlier, and know nothing about it other than what Google tells me, but is Promised Land St Park a potential option? They have two campsites open at least and it's in the general vicinity..

JayS
10-10-2013, 23:43
Knotty,
Thanks for all the research. Stephens State Park looks good. Can't wait!

Demeter
10-11-2013, 04:23
+1 on thanks for your hard work. I am coming regardless, but trying to pull my DH back into camping with the beautiful stream so close for fishing....

Demeter
10-11-2013, 04:26
I am bringing my teenaged daughter with her *cough* boyfriend. He is a little over the weight limit for my hammocks. Does anyone have an extra hammock that can accommodate him? He is about 6' 3", 225#

P-47ChowHound
10-11-2013, 05:10
I am bringing my teenaged daughter with her *cough* boyfriend. He is a little over the weight limit for my hammocks. Does anyone have an extra hammock that can accommodate him? He is about 6' 3", 225#

Eno double nest and WL Nite owl are yours to use if you want. Straps included. No tarps or quilts.

Demeter
10-11-2013, 05:42
Eno double nest and WL Nite owl are yours to use if you want. Straps included. No tarps or quilts.

Thanks Chowhound! I really appreciate it. I will double hang with her so he can use her tarp.

HappyCamper
10-11-2013, 06:19
Feel your pain about losing your campground. Glad you found a good alternative. Both group hangs need to howl up at the sky around the campfire at 9 pm on Saturday night in salute to Fall MAHHA hangers everywhere!

pinballwizard
10-11-2013, 06:49
Only issue is Stephens allows just two cars per site.

Thanks for the work, Knotty! Is there a main parking lot here? Often, there may be parking lots around where more cars could park. Even if they are not very close, perhaps we could do carpools to drop cars off.

Suede
10-11-2013, 07:09
I'm going to guess that they decided to throw in the towel since they were so close to their normally scheduled shutdown anyway. I'm bummed, since Dingmans is my preference.

Knotty, have you or JG contacted Dingmans? Just wondering if they knew we were coming, is it possible they still know we're coming and this is just a public facing message?

JollyGreen
10-11-2013, 07:21
Knotty, have you or JG contacted Dingmans? Just wondering if they knew we were coming, is it possible they still know we're coming and this is just a public facing message?

We haven't contacted them yet, their message says if you've paid for a reservation already you will be refunded. It looks like they've closed for the season in lieu of the shutdown but they haven't changed their message.

pinballwizard
10-11-2013, 07:29
Why would Digman's be affected by the shutdown, since they are a privately owned campground?

mrcheviot
10-11-2013, 08:12
Why would Digman's be affected by the shutdown, since they are a privately owned campground?

Dingman's in the the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area, which is managed by the NPS.

pinballwizard
10-11-2013, 08:27
Dingman's in the the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area, which is managed by the NPS.

AH, that makes sense. Thanks

Knotty
10-11-2013, 15:09

I have a Hennessy Explorer Deluxe with SuperShelter and tarp he can use. Just confirm with me if you want it.

Feel your pain about losing your campground. Glad you found a good alternative. Both group hangs need to howl up at the sky around the campfire at 9 pm on Saturday night in salute to Fall MAHHA hangers everywhere!

Howl we will! How we'll explain it to the park ranger, well that's another story.

Knotty
10-11-2013, 15:35
IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT

Sorry for all the changes but the hang will now be at STOKES STATE FOREST (http://www.state.nj.us/dep/parksandforests/parks/stokes.html). Specifically at the Steam Mill Campsites in the northern part of the park. This is final (finally :)).

Q0ZpXPmE_vc

Sites T216 and T218 have already been reserved by JollyGreen and me. Due to headcount, we need a volunteer to go to ReserveAmerica (http://www.reserveamerica.com/) and reserve adjacent site T213. The system does not allow one person to make multiple reservations for the same date. Make the reservation for 6 people and 2 cars (max allowed) and choose "tent". We'll save $10 if a NJ resident does it. Total will be $49.25. All attendees will contribute to the cost so those making reservations can be reimbursed.

The GPS coordinates for the entrance to the Steam Mill sites is:
Latitude: 41.240999º N
Longitude: 74.734345º W
41.240999º N 74.734345º W
41.240999,-74.734345
(you should be able to cut and paste one of the above into your smartphone GPS)

Stephens State Forest was decided against because its so close to the road it just doesn't feel like camping...not hammock worthy.

If you have signed up but are not attending, please remove yourself from the signup sheet (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmMihJZLsDL0dE5ULTRNaWdYbDJNTksycmw1QXRGT EE&usp=sharing#gid=0).
If you haven't signed up yet, please add yourself to the signup sheet (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmMihJZLsDL0dE5ULTRNaWdYbDJNTksycmw1QXRGT EE&usp=sharing#gid=0).

Unfortunately dogs are not allowed, as with all these state campgrounds. Please see the official Stokes site for all their rules. This forum is not the place to debate the state regs.

Dylan
10-11-2013, 15:58
Due to headcount, we need a volunteer to go to ReserveAmerica (http://www.reserveamerica.com/) and reserve adjacent site T213. The system does not allow one person to make multiple reservations for the same date. Make the reservation for 6 people and 2 cars (max allowed) and choose "tent". We'll save $10 if a NJ resident does it. Total will be $49.25. All attendees will contribute to the cost so those making reservations can be reimbursed.

I reserved it. Reservation #: 2-3961603

mrcheviot
10-11-2013, 20:30
I'm officially in, plan on leaving WP around 2:30 on Fri. I have an off-site work thing on Sat morning at 9a, so I'll be leaving & returning.

Signup has space for Sat dinner contribution, is that also going to spread across Fri dinner/Sat lunch?

Any interest in a how-to make your own whoopies/loops/UCR session? Happy to bring cordage and work one on one with people..

Thanks Knotty for securing a good alternate spot, looking forward to meeting you folks.

SilvrSurfr
10-11-2013, 21:05
Nice looking spot, Knotty. Thanks for all your effort. I especially like the easy access to the AT.

I still can't commit because of work - I'm gonna try to make it Saturday night but won't know anytime soon.

Knotty
10-11-2013, 21:08
Thanks Dylan.

Saturday dinner is the only group meal mrcheviot.

Hope you can make sit slvrsrfr. Once you know, use the sign up sheet.

pinballwizard
10-12-2013, 00:02
Knotty, WOW!!! I can't believe you went to all three places to do such superb recon jobs, WOW!!! I am really impressed and grateful; this spot looks great. The video footage of how the site keeps going with woods behind it is exactly what I thought of when Stokes came to mind in the first place, when looking at alternatives to Digman's

Also, as far as cars go: when I was here, we had a family trip and everyone came from different areas. Before we knew it, we had 5 cars in one site and they didn't seem to care the least. Don't hold my feet to the fire as that being their policy, but that was my experience. We didn't ask, they didn't say. YMMV

pinballwizard
10-12-2013, 01:02
Chowhound - I noticed you are making homemade sausage for Saturday night! If you have any extra, I would love to use some for at least one of the pizzas I am planning to make for the group meal! If not, no worries; I will still have pepperoni, I slice from the stick (better that way). But homemade sausage would be awesome to try.

P-47ChowHound
10-12-2013, 06:45
Chowhound - I noticed you are making homemade sausage for Saturday night! If you have any extra, I would love to use some for at least one of the pizzas I am planning to make for the group meal! If not, no worries; I will still have pepperoni, I slice from the stick (better that way). But homemade sausage would be awesome to try.

Pinballwizrd, I will earmark some for your pizzas. Looking forward to it.

pinballwizard
10-12-2013, 08:32
Pinballwizrd, I will earmark some for your pizzas. Looking forward to it.
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Dylan
10-12-2013, 11:41
Anyone know if the section of Flatbrook by the camp sites holds any trout?

Knotty
10-12-2013, 17:15

I'm not a fisherman, but this might help?
http://gardenstatetrout.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7099

Also read that the Big Flat Brook is stocked from 100 hundred feet above Steam Mill Bridge on Crigger Road downstream to the Delaware.

One more, according to a 10/5/13 article (http://www.dailyrecord.com/article/20131005/NJCOLUMNIST4001/310050018/Anglers-turn-out-for-fall-stocking), they were just about to stock the river from Crigger Rd downstream to Roy Bridge.

Suede
10-12-2013, 19:09
I'm not a fisherman, but this might help?
http://gardenstatetrout.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7099

Also read that the Big Flat Brook is stocked from 100 hundred feet above Steam Mill Bridge on Crigger Road downstream to the Delaware.

One more, according to a 10/5/13 article (http://www.dailyrecord.com/article/20131005/NJCOLUMNIST4001/310050018/Anglers-turn-out-for-fall-stocking), they were just about to stock the river from Crigger Rd downstream to Roy Bridge.

Knotty, thanks for all the research and time you have taken to find what sounds like a great spot. it is much appreciated!!

Demeter
10-13-2013, 12:50
Any interest in a how-to make your own whoopies/loops/UCR session? Happy to bring cordage and work one on one with people..

I am interested, as is my daughter. I just have to go for a hike some time Saturday: it's what I live for! :)

Demeter
10-13-2013, 13:03
Just checked out the website and I am super excited! I will be planning a hike on the AT Saturday if anyone is interested...

Suede
10-13-2013, 13:09

I'm up for bringing a rod and finding out!

Suede
10-13-2013, 13:11
We haven't contacted them yet, their message says if you've paid for a reservation already you will be refunded. It looks like they've closed for the season in lieu of the shutdown but they haven't changed their message.

What? No countdown?

pinballwizard
10-13-2013, 13:14
I am interested, as is my daughter. I just have to go for a hike some time Saturday: it's what I live for! :)

yes on both the whoopies and the hike

JollyGreen
10-13-2013, 14:01
Just checked out the website and I am super excited! I will be planning a hike on the AT Saturday if anyone is interested...

Yep interested, just dont kick my butt too bad

JollyGreen
10-13-2013, 14:02
What? No countdown?

Sorry, 5 days............

Demeter
10-13-2013, 15:01
Yep interested, just dont kick my butt too bad

No problem JG! I plan on a trail run in the morning :)

jtdad13
10-13-2013, 19:31
Here we go, this will be my first group hang, I'm in!

Knotty
10-13-2013, 21:21
Welcome aboard jtdad13.

We're probably going to need to add another site reservation but that can wait until we get there.

Dylan
10-13-2013, 21:36
I'm up for bringing a rod and finding out!

I'm planning on bringing my tenkara stuff.

JollyGreen
10-13-2013, 21:39

Very interested in tenkara

JollyGreen
10-14-2013, 08:21
4 days..........

Suede
10-14-2013, 08:36

I will bring a rig for fly fishing as well.

4 days..........

Glad to see you on the job JG!! :D

Still working on getting Friday off.. if not, will be there early saturday, or possibly friday night but finding a spot to double hang with Jane could be difficult in the dark.

jerzybears
10-14-2013, 08:56
Unsure still if Russ and I can come :( .

Knotty
10-14-2013, 13:00
Repeat of IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT (https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showpost.php?p=1112318&postcount=136) so it remains visible for those who didn't see the previously posted news about Stokes State Forest.

guitargeek76
10-14-2013, 14:03
Due to work, I can't make this hang, but you guys should have a blast. I was just at Stokes this past weekend, in T226.

Suede
10-14-2013, 17:25
Due to work, I can't make this hang, but you guys should have a blast. I was just at Stokes this past weekend, in T226.

Sorry you can't make it GG. It was nice meeting you at the fall NEHHA.

guitargeek76
10-14-2013, 18:29
Sorry you can't make it GG. It was nice meeting you at the fall NEHHA.

It was nice meeting you as well. I was looking forward to seeing those I'd met, and hanging with some new friends. Hopefully next time!

jtdad13
10-14-2013, 19:07
I'm in, and I may bring one of my boys (age 7). Any one else thinking of bringing kids?

I was also thinking of bringing my son...Would anybody have an extra UQ he could use?

OldNWay
10-14-2013, 19:08
Is there room for another hanger. If so I'll be coming in on Friday around noon, would be nice if someone from my area to share a ride. I'll drive

JollyGreen
10-14-2013, 19:56
Is there room for another hanger. If so I'll be coming in on Friday around noon, would be nice if someone from my area to share a ride. I'll drive

Sure, signup spreadsheet on first post

JollyGreen
10-14-2013, 20:56
Ok, how many grills will we have?

Knotty
10-14-2013, 21:11
I don't have a grill but will be bringing a two burner propane stove.

OldNWay
10-15-2013, 04:49
IF someone needs to use it I will be bringing a two burner propane stove also

P-47ChowHound
10-15-2013, 06:55
Will be bringing a grill, and char.

Pro Vagabond
10-15-2013, 07:52
I'll be bringing a 2-burner stove (need to make sure it works). I also have some charcoal that needs to be used, but I don't have a grill.

Dylan
10-15-2013, 19:13
I'm getting psyched for this weekend. I spent some time over the past weekend getting my gear together, found a few good contributions for the PIF bucket. Does any one have a bucket that has already been started or are we starting new one at this hang?

I was also spenting of bringing my son...Would anybody have an extra UQ he could use?

Just bumping this request from jtdad, didn't see any response. I have a few extra pads but no extra UQs.

mrcheviot
10-15-2013, 19:42
@jtdad13 I'm bringing two 3/4 length UQ's, one's a 20 deg and the other is a slightly smaller 40-45 deg quilt (although that one is a Baby Orca IX w/ insert, and I have another one w/o the insert, so could be doubled up). Not sure which I'll use, but don't mind using the 20deg and venting if I have to if your son needs the Orca(s). If he's under 5'6" he wouldn't need a pad. I can bring my wife's TQ as well if he needs one.

Also will be bringing a few hammocks for test lays/naps (XLC, WBRR, TTTG SB, and could add WBBB SL 1.7 to the list if someone needs something to hang in).

Wise Old Owl
10-15-2013, 19:46
are you guys going to get in?

mrcheviot
10-15-2013, 19:47
Weather forecast looks to be perfect, 63/41 on Fri (overnight 5 mph winds partly cloudy), 63/48 on Sat (overnight 10 mph & clear).

Full moon on Fri night as well, should be a good weekend for moon shadows!

perrito
10-15-2013, 20:13
Getting excited!

Pro Vagabond
10-15-2013, 20:15
me too! I actually packed twice today....:rolleyes:

I'm hoping to get there around noon on Friday :)

Knotty
10-15-2013, 22:29
Repeat of IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT (https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showpost.php?p=1112318&postcount=136) so it remains visible for those who didn't see the previously posted news about Stokes State Forest.

pinballwizard
10-15-2013, 22:50
My GF and I are super psyched for this trip!!! This is my first group hang and I'm really looking forward to learning loads. I would also love to see and test some stuff, (since I have only hung in my Yukon hammock with pads and an eno profly tarp) and find out if I am actually hanging right with the gear I have currently. It's going to be really nice to put some faces to names.

pinballwizard
10-15-2013, 22:57
Also, I have a grill top I can/will bring, as well as a double burner, cooking stoves, and a pizza stone. But in case people haven't camped Stokes, they have fire pits with built in, adjustable grill tops. Some sights like Digman's, you have to bring a grill top, but this one has them already.

HouseMarks
10-15-2013, 23:36
Just got out of work this weekend! We'll see you there!

JollyGreen
10-16-2013, 05:42
2 days.............

jtdad13
10-16-2013, 05:46
@jtdad13 I'm bringing two 3/4 length UQ's, one's a 20 deg and the other is a slightly smaller 40-45 deg quilt (although that one is a Baby Orca IX w/ insert, and I have another one w/o the insert, so could be doubled up). Not sure which I'll use, but don't mind using the 20deg and venting if I have to if your son needs the Orca(s). If he's under 5'6" he wouldn't need a pad. I can bring my wife's TQ as well if he needs one.

Also will be bringing a few hammocks for test lays/naps (XLC, WBRR, TTTG SB, and could add WBBB SL 1.7 to the list if someone needs something to hang in).

Mrcheviot,thank you so much! He's only 8yrs old, so he should fit into anything, again thanks!!!

Knotty
10-16-2013, 08:32
Just got out of work this weekend! We'll see you there!

Glad to have you and your apple cobbler coming. :)

mrcheviot
10-16-2013, 08:56
Mrcheviot,thank you so much! He's only 8yrs old, so he should fit into anything, again thanks!!!

No problem, I'll bring some other extra gear as well in case anyone needs it, sure others will have some as well.

JayS
10-16-2013, 09:54
OK... Who put me down for "Maine Lobster and clover fed prime rib" for Saturday night? :eek: Everyone knows I only do Maine prime rib and clover fed lobsters! :D

Looks like the signup sheet got "added to" in the Saturday night column - I will leave the entry up until tonight so you can cut & paste to the correct line (if there is one... I'm thinking it's really JollyGreen's entry). Thanks for mentioning this, Knotty.

Can't wait to see y'all in the woods!

JollyGreen
10-16-2013, 10:01
OK... Who put me down for "Maine Lobster and clover fed prime rib" for Saturday night? :eek: Everyone knows I only do Maine prime rib and clover fed lobsters! :D

Looks like the signup sheet got "added to" in the Saturday night column - I will leave the entry up until tonight so you can cut & paste to the correct line (if there is one... I'm thinking it's really JollyGreen's entry). Thanks for mentioning this, Knotty.

Nope, not my entry

pinballwizard
10-16-2013, 10:42

I thought your entry looked a little suspect. Just the lobster or prime rib would have been believable, but both was too much. So now I have to ask, what are sports balls? (besides footballs and baseballs, and soccer balls, and you get the idea).:lol::lol::lol:

Pro Vagabond
10-16-2013, 15:50
just tried out my stove (actually a 3 burner) and it works, so I'll be bringing it just in case. I also just cleaned my cast iron pans (6 1/2", 8", 10 1/2"). If anyone thinks they want/can use them this trip, let me know, I'll bring them. Also, do we know what the wood situation is at the site? Should I bring my splitting maul and hachet? Also, do we know what the approximate cost per person is going to be? I want to bring enough and spend it all on adult beverages....:rolleyes:

See you soon!

pinballwizard
10-16-2013, 17:19
. Also, do we know what the wood situation is at the site? Should I bring my splitting maul and hachet? Also, do we know what the approximate cost per person is going to be? I want to bring enough and spend it all on adult beverages....:rolleyes:

See you soon!

When I was at stokes, there was plenty of wood to find, and there were bigger pieces, so something to split with would be good. I also think locals sell it by the boxful for 5 bucks. But again, lots of wood in the woods when I was there.:)

Dylan
10-16-2013, 18:32
Does anyone have a large griddle? If so I'm willing do do my best Dutch impersonation and flip pancakes for a Saturday morning breakfast. I'll even bring real maple syrup.

Demeter
10-16-2013, 18:39
Does anyone have a large griddle? If so I'm willing do do my best Dutch impersonation and flip pancakes for a Saturday morning breakfast. I'll even bring real maple syrup.

I have a cast iron griddle that will straddle two (close-together) burners. PM me if you want me to bring it since I miss some of the posts :)

Dylan
10-16-2013, 18:50
I have a cast iron griddle that will straddle two (close-together) burners. PM me if you want me to bring it since I miss some of the posts :)

I lost track of who was bringing stoves, but if someone has a stove that will hold this, we can do it. Maybe supplement it with Pro Vagabond's pans too. What do you all think? Are pancakes worth trying?

SilvrSurfr
10-16-2013, 19:54
90% sure that I can get off of work Saturday. Looking to arrive Sat. morning, hang my stuff, then do a slack-pack day hike on the AT. Anybody have any idea on a loop/hike we can do?

With no weight in the pack, I figure I'm good for 8-10 miles, though I'm amenable to anything.

Demeter
10-16-2013, 19:59
90% sure that I can get off of work Saturday. Looking to arrive Sat. morning, hang my stuff, then do a slack-pack day hike on the AT. Anybody have any idea on a loop/hike we can do?

I don't know the area well, would love to do the Sunrise up on the AT.

SilvrSurfr
10-16-2013, 20:13
I don't know the area well, would love to do the Sunrise up on the AT.

Actually watch the sun rise from Kittatinny Ridge? Sounds awesome. However, I just don't think I can make it till Saturday morning 9 or 10ish - gotta work Friday night 10 pm - 2 am.

Sunday morning sounds cool, though.

SilvrSurfr
10-16-2013, 20:29
I happened to be sitting in a waiting room at FEMA today, waiting to apply for a Hazard Mitigation Grant Program (HMGP) and was re-reading A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson. He has a wonderful description of the Kittatinny Ridge, where we will be hiking:

"Just occasionally am I permitted an appreciative glimpse into the wonder that is geology, and such a place is the Delaware Water Gap. There, above the serene Delaware River, stands Kittatinny Mountain, a wall of rock 1,300 feet high, consisting of resistant quartzite that was exposed when the river cut a passage through softer rock on its quiet, steady progress to the sea. The result in effect is a cross-section of mountain, which is not a view you get every day, or indeed anywhere else along the Appalachian Trail that I am aware of. And here it is particularly impressive because the exposed quartzite is arrayed in long, wavery bands that lie at such an improbably canted angle - about 45 degrees - as to suggest to even the dullest imagination that something very big, geologically speaking, happened here.

It is a very fine view."

Of course, we'll be on top of the ridge, so we won't see much of the geology below us. You'd have to go to the river to look up at the ridge, I think.

Knotty
10-16-2013, 21:07
just tried out my stove (actually a 3 burner) and it works, so I'll be bringing it just in case. I also just cleaned my cast iron pans (6 1/2", 8", 10 1/2"). If anyone thinks they want/can use them this trip, let me know, I'll bring them. Also, do we know what the wood situation is at the site? Should I bring my splitting maul and hachet? Also, do we know what the approximate cost per person is going to be? I want to bring enough and spend it all on adult beverages....:rolleyes:

See you soon!

There are lots of downed trees so I encourage people to bring saws, axes and mauls.

The only cost is for the campsite. Approximately $10 for the weekend.

I have a 11x13" cast iron griddle I'll bring plus an old school Coleman 2 burner white gas stove.

Knotty
10-16-2013, 21:09

Knotty
10-16-2013, 22:23
Some housekeeping items need to be addressed.

We are now at 27 people signed up for the hang, which means we need to reserve two more sites. JayS has graciously volunteered to help so we need one more person to step up. Remember, anyone making a reservation will be reimbursed. All attendees need to bring at least $10 for the shared costs.

Now the question is which site numbers? We currently have three adjacent sites; 213, 216 & 218. None of the other adjacent sites work too well. From my visit, 209 & 223 were the next best choices in terms of having some hang options but they're separated by a small distance from the main sites. Or we could just get 215 & 217 which are right across from the main sites but they're better suited for tents than hammocks.

The reality is that this is not a group campsite and we'll be exceeding the 6 person limit at the main sites but hopefully the rangers won't mind since we've reserved (payed for) enough sites for our total head count. I think we'll end up being the only campers at Steam Mill so hopefully they'll be understanding. Unfortunately we have no guarantee and they could give us grief.

So, back to the point. 215 & 217 would give us a place for cars. 209 & 223 provide some additional hang spots at the cost of being a 100+ yards away. What say ye?

pinballwizard
10-16-2013, 22:44

We are now at 27 people signed up for the hang, which means we need to reserve two more sites. JayS has graciously volunteered to help so we need one more person to step up. Remember, anyone making a reservation will be reimbursed. All attendees need to bring at least $10 for the shared costs.

Now the question is which site numbers? We currently have three adjacent sites; 213, 216 & 218. None of the other adjacent sites work too well. From my visit, 209 & 223 were the next best choices in terms of having some hang options but they're separated by a small distance from the main sites. Or we could just get 215 & 217 which are right across from the main sites but they're better suited for tents than hammocks.

The reality is that this is not a group campsite and we'll be exceeding the 6 person limit at the main sites but hopefully the rangers won't mind since we've reserved (payed for) enough sites for our total head count. I think we'll end up being the only campers at Steam Mill so hopefully they'll be understanding. Unfortunately we have no guarantee and they could give us grief.

So, back to the point. 215 & 217 would give us a place for cars. 209 & 223 provide some additional hang spots at the cost of being a 100+ yards away. What say ye?

I wonder if we should wait till we are there, since it seems there will be plenty of options, but none seem to be best. I think there's a chance if we fit, the rangers will be cool and not require another site rental from us. Besides, we may have stronger opinions about which site works best once we are there. However, if we are booking in advance, someone from jersey should do it because it is cheaper if you live in the state. If no one else is from Jersey, and we def do want to book in advance, I will happily do it:D

pinballwizard
10-16-2013, 22:51

yeah, I was already on the fence of bringing mine, so I will and you can have at it for some flapjacks or what not

mrcheviot
10-16-2013, 23:11
I think there'll be open sites to switch to (usually a call to the office is sufficient), so for simplicity and times sake I'd be for reserving the pair that makes the most sense to you Knotty and then being flexible once we're there..

guitargeek76
10-16-2013, 23:43
IDK if it helps at all, but I was at site 226 last weekend, and made a quick video showing the site. The video starts out aimed towards what I think was site 219. 226 was a nice size that should be able to hang 5-6 hammocks. It seemed like one of the larger sites around there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WugNHTdE9Xk

pinballwizard
10-17-2013, 00:09
Does anyone have a lid to a webber-like grill? Round and about 15 inches round, or larger. I would want to use it for putting over the pizzas and pizza stone when I am cooking them on Saturday night.

JollyGreen
10-17-2013, 05:39
A wake up...............

Dylan
10-17-2013, 06:47

I'd think 212 & 220 would be best for rule-bending. It'd give us one continuous tract. So what if we blur the borders between sites? It may be harder to see that to the rangers if we're crossing the roadway.

Dylan
10-17-2013, 07:02
One other housekeeping related item. It was mentioned earlier that there will be a pay-it-forward bucket for gear (any gear, not necessarily backpacking related). I have a bucket/tub I can bring to use. For those that are newish to PIF its a great way to pass along useful items that you no longer have use for. You can pick out stuff for free, and the only thing you are expected to do is pay-it-forward by either adding something of yours to the bucket, the PIF thread on the forums, or via another PIF bucket/box. So please, everyone, try to bring something to add to the bucket. The more stuff we have, the more likely others will find something useful. OHTIAHT! (The first one to figure out what that means gets first pick from the bucket :) )

mrcheviot
10-17-2013, 07:35
"One hikers treasure is another hikers treasure."

Indeed.

P-47ChowHound
10-17-2013, 08:50
One Hangers Trash Is Another Hangers Treasure

mrcheviot
10-17-2013, 09:28
Bleh, that's what I meant to type and had in my head, can't believe I messed that up.. :unsure:

Knotty
10-17-2013, 09:32
Teaser...I'm bringing something pretty cool and pretty big for the PIF. It won't even come close to fitting in the bucket! :cool:

Regarding sites, I like Dylan's thinking. Let's stay contiguous by getting 220 and 212. (Thanks guitargeek76 for the video. 226 did look like a good site.)

EDIT: Just checked online and 220 is no longer available. Only site in the whole campground that's been rented by someone other than us. I guess we'll just stick with the three we have and pick others after we arrive friday and get the lay of the land.

I'd rather we have five, sites even if there are some no shows, because I'd like the rangers to get a favorable impression of hammock campers and our group in particular. Stokes is cheap. Less than half what it would have cost at Dingmans.

Zilla
10-17-2013, 09:39
We are doing our last minute packing to go to the va hang.
I Want to wish you guye all a great time and hope to catch you at the next one!
Sounds like you guys are gonna have a blast, wish i could be at 2 places at one time!
Be safe and let it all hang out:)

ZILLA.....:thumbup::woot::thumbup1::woot::thumbup:

JollyGreen
10-17-2013, 09:55
Teaser...I'm bringing something pretty cool and pretty big for the PIF. It won't even come close to fitting in the bucket! :cool:

Regarding sites, I like Dylan's thinking. Let's stay contiguous by getting 220 and 212. (Thanks guitargeek76 for the video. 226 did look like a good site.)

JayS, on your way in please stop at the ranger station and get site 220.

Can someone else please get 212?

They will be $40 for a two-night walk in reservation if you're from NJ.

I'd rather we have five, sites even if there are some no shows, because I'd like the rangers to get a favorable impression of hammock campers and our group in particular. Stokes is cheap. Less than half what it would have cost at Dingmans.

Knotty, you're giving ME away for you PIF?

Knotty
10-17-2013, 10:05
You spoiled the surprise! :lol:

mattyoc20
10-17-2013, 11:11
Still at stokes state forest right

JollyGreen
10-17-2013, 12:03
Still at stokes state forest right

Yes, and why isn't Red Van Winkle going?

Dylan
10-17-2013, 12:08
EDIT: Just checked online and 220 is no longer available. Only site in the whole campground that's been rented by someone other than us. I guess we'll just stick with the three we have and pick others after we arrive friday and get the lay of the land.

Are we sure it wasn't JayS?

mattyoc20
10-17-2013, 13:07
Yes, and why isn't Red Van Winkle going?
She is heading to central PA to see her folks prob won't see her again til the spring. She is starting to enter her hibernation mode

JayS
10-17-2013, 13:17
Are we sure it wasn't JayS?

It wasn't me. I talked to Knotty this morning and we thought we would wait until we got there to get the extra site. I am sure we can get something that works.

Knotty
10-17-2013, 15:53

P-47ChowHound
10-17-2013, 16:13
Knotty, please consider me a slim maybe. I was looking forward to this, would have been maiden hang outside of my back yard.

SilvrSurfr, check your pm please. My work is going to hell in a hand basket, not sure I can make it at all. You and I only live a few miles apart and if you are still good to go I want to meet and give you the sausage for Sat. nite meal.

pinballwizard
10-17-2013, 16:59
Since the weather will be nice, Im gonna bring my guitar. Hope I'm not the only one

Dylan
10-17-2013, 17:54
Since the weather will be nice, Im gonna bring my guitar. Hope I'm not the only one

That won't fit in the PIF bucket either. :lol:

mattyoc20
10-17-2013, 18:23

I can bring mine but I have to warn you I have never played with anyone else but I'm down for a little picking I can be rythem

mattyoc20
10-17-2013, 18:25
Also I am sure this has been covered but what is parking like

Knotty
10-17-2013, 19:01
Knotty, please consider me a slim maybe. I was looking forward to this, would have been maiden hang outside of my back yard.

Bummer. Hopefully your situation will change.

Also I am sure this has been covered but what is parking like

Each site is allowed two cars. Carpool if you can. Obviously we will be asking forgiveness.

DIRECTIONS

There is no need to enter the park via the main entrance to get to our campground. The Steam Mill campground is about 7 miles from the main entrance.

Assuming you are heading north on Rt. 206, go 2 miles PAST the Stokes signed entrance, then turn right (north) on Flatbrook Rd. Take it to the end and then turn right onto Crigger Rd. Campground will be on your right after just a bit. If the road suddenly turns into a one-way (coming at you) you've gone too far.

See my IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT post for GPS coordinates.

Ratdog
10-17-2013, 19:32
My plus 1 bailed yesterday so it will be a solo for me...

Demeter
10-18-2013, 08:31
I am on my way. Should be in around 2.

jtdad13
10-18-2013, 08:41
Work let me have off today so I'm heading up, should be there by 1! My son bailed out on me(he wanted to hang with his cousins), so it's just me.

Suede
10-18-2013, 09:35
Jane and I are hoping to get there around 3 today.

Pro Vagabond
10-18-2013, 09:42
Leaving in 20! I'll be the guy sleeping in his hammock...oh, wait...that probably could apply to many...:rolleyes:

Dylan
10-18-2013, 09:58
I'll be pulling my boy out of school around 1:00 (after his spelling test). We should be up there around 3:00. I have to checkin for the site reservation at the park office first.

I can't wait to eat everyone, see some great food, wet my hammock, and hang my fly line (not necessarily in that order ;) ).

tat2ITgeek
10-18-2013, 10:35
Everything is packed, car loaded, GPS is set. I'm on my way! I should be there around 3.

SilvrSurfr
10-18-2013, 12:37

SilvrSurfr, check your pm please. My work is going to hell in a hand basket, not sure I can make it at all. You and I only live a few miles apart and if you are still good to go I want to meet and give you the sausage for Sat. nite meal.

Sorry Chow couldn't make it, but hey, at least I got the sausage. I'll be there sometime Saturday morning.

P-47ChowHound
10-18-2013, 13:01
Sorry Chow couldn't make it, but hey, at least I got the sausage. I'll be there sometime Saturday morning.

No sampling ahead of time :)

pinballwizard
10-18-2013, 13:54
sorry you couldn't make it Chowhound. Thank you so much for sending the sausage in your absence

mrcheviot
10-18-2013, 15:06
I'll be arriving later (7-8p), may wait out rush hour traffic.

PM me if anything needs to be picked up, I'll check messages en route.

mattyoc20
10-18-2013, 16:14
Ah only ten miles away and this traffic is killing me

silentorpheus
10-18-2013, 17:19
I've been keeping an eye on this one - but alas, a bachelor party and the dozen bottles of scotch I'm bringing (not even joking) tomorrow mean I can't come out and play. At least not with you all. :D

Enjoy the woods!

tat2ITgeek
10-20-2013, 19:08
I have to say that I had a blast this weekend! (since this was my official first hang ever!) Seeing everyone's setups has given me a case of hammock and gear envy. Cue the web searching and penny pinching.... I probably will not make any of the winter hangs but, look out spring!! It has been an absolute pleasure meeting you all in person.

perrito
10-20-2013, 20:24
We had a great group of people. I made some great new friends as well as reconnecting with others. And lots of food! I can't wait for the next one.

Demeter
10-20-2013, 20:36
Tons of fun! That's what I had! And if i stayed any longer, I would weigh a ton ;) the rain held off until just the right point. Thanks for the great hike yesterday and for the company around the campfire. Knotty and Jolly Green, special thanks for everything you did in organizing. Me and my peeps had a weekend of fun!!

SilvrSurfr
10-20-2013, 20:58
I only made Saturday night, but I must admit this was one of my favorite group hangs ever. Great location (thanks Knotty), great people, incredible food (I learned how to pronounce quinoa) including the first ever campfire pizza I've ever had, live music, and a campsite by a babbling brook augmented with rain to put me into a deep, blissful hammock sleep.

Awesome hang, and thanks for all who contributed!

JayS
10-20-2013, 21:23
A great hang! Thanks to everyone. It was great to see old friends and meet new ones.

There was so much wood already sawn that we (Oh-No) only had to split some and we had more than we needed. That's what you get with a state forest.

And yes, we howled at the moon, uhh... clouds, at 9PM Saturday but we didn't hear a reply from West Virginia. Actually, I think that's when the rain started! Maybe that drowned it out.

Knotty and I did a final sweep and there were two items of value left behind - a chair and a knife. I have them but they've already asked when they can go home.

The chair is blue and has a foot rest. Let me know it's yours and we will figure out how to get it back to you. This may require another night hanging... darn! ;)

The knife - you describe it via PM and I'll get it back to you.

Knotty
10-21-2013, 10:06
Thanks to everyone who came to the Stokes hang and made it such a great event. Always good to reconnect with old friends and make new ones.

Here are a couple photo collages as a momento.

Suede
10-21-2013, 10:41
Jane and I had a great time! I had started a trip report thread but it has gone unnoticed.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=81810