PDA

View Full Version : Two Backpacks for Noobs

JameyJack
09-21-2013, 17:08
Well I don't have many years left that my teenage daughter is going to want to hang with Mom and we both like to camp so we have decided to take up the whole hiking/hammock camping adventure. We are piecing together our gear slowly but surely.

We have hammocks, (no tarps yet) cooking gear, a filter, bug nets, and next on the list is backpacks and since I need two :scared: $$$. I hate to spend a fortune (teacher salary and all) and she decides she's too busy tomorrow so I thought I would see if anybody has any backpacks their wives refused to use or what have you.

We dont have a clue what we are doing except we did go to REI and get sized. I am right on the edge of XS/S torso (yet another disadvantage of being 5') and she is a MED.

No Directions
09-21-2013, 18:04
REI Outlet usually has some good deals on closeouts. Backpacks are one of your most important pieces of equipment. If it doesn't fit properly you could be miserable.

Country Roads
09-21-2013, 18:07
I have a Mountainsmith women's Muse backpack (now discontinued). I have done some weight reduction on it: Took off top lid, cut a few straps back a bit. It is still in solid condition. Capacity is around 2900 CI, but believe that only includes the main pack bag, because I can get a lot of stuff in it and still have room left. It weighs under 3 pounds. It does have a backpanel and hoop type stay. It has side pockets that will fit 1 liter or so water bottles. There is a mesh front pocket. I have used the pack on 3 AT section hikes totaling over 200 miles. The pack is very comfortable as long as you keep the weight under 30 pounds.

I too am rather short at a few hairs over 5 feet, with a torso length of around 17 inches, and the pack fits me well. Torso length will adjust via the shoulder straps, by about 2 inches, so torso length fit is from about 16 to 18 inches.

I will try to get some pics up of the pack, so you can see it.

I originally paid $69 for the pack (1/2 off as a discontinued model), I would take $15 + shipping (shipping will probably be a bit expensive, most likely as much as the pack price, since I can't compact the pack any for shipping)

Just PM me with any questions you might have about the pack. It might take me a day to get back to you on any questions. I will see if I can research shipping prices. I do have a PayPal account.

JameyJack
09-21-2013, 20:57
Thanks ND I'll check it out.

Craigthor
09-24-2013, 11:00
Also for cheaper packs depending on what size you need we have a pair of these for the random hikes we do.

http://beprepared.com/scout-3400-backpack-hunter-green.html

They aren't super light but aren't a pocket book breaker either. Also they handle well to being tossed around which in the areas we go is needed as there are few groomed trails.

mattyoc20
09-24-2013, 16:22

I have a high sierra Summit 45 bag i could part with. I think its a size large but cant find a tag on it anywhere