PDA

View Full Version : Official NEHHA Nor'Easter planning thread. Jan 10-12th

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Nighthauk
09-25-2013, 08:50
Alright guys I figure I have given you enough time to come out of your food coma and come down off your Hanging High. So here it is. January 10-12th '14.
Chesterfield Scout Camp. Same spot with the lean-to's and hopefully a lot of snow.

Looking for ideas to spice it up.
Dessert Cook-off
Raffle Items
Best camp gadget

etc etc etc.
you get the idea.

Let this discussin' start.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/lv?key=0Ah4b9cfRoQLZdFhYZXBvWlpKUEw0SDdOOXFPOWVnaE E&usp=sharing

lilprincess
09-25-2013, 09:52
Love you dear but it's 2014...

JollyGreen
09-25-2013, 10:00

LOL, I believe he did the same thing for the fall NEHHA. I'm in fo sho.

McRat
09-25-2013, 10:01
W00t! This is on the calendar.

McRat sightings are more common in winter anyways... ;)

shrineclown
09-25-2013, 10:10
Popovers.............

perrito
09-25-2013, 10:10
I'm in too. This will be my first winter hang.
http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/MSN_Emoticons/MSN-Emoticon-cold-017.gif
http://www.smileyvault.com/albums/userpics/10902/snow_shovel_smiley.gif

hk2001
09-25-2013, 10:12
I'm in too. This will be my first winter hang.
http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/MSN_Emoticons/MSN-Emoticon-cold-017.gif
http://www.smileyvault.com/albums/userpics/10902/snow_shovel_smiley.gif

I'll be there, depending on vehicle situation, gonna freeze my butt off, but always wanted to try a hammock full of hot hands in winter.

civetta
09-25-2013, 10:21
I'll be there, depending on vehicle situation, gonna freeze my butt off, but always wanted to try a hammock full of hot hands in winter.

There will be no freezing of the butts. It's not as hard as you think. Wool socks, hot water bottles and insulated boots. Maybe a hammock sock. There is always hot water on the fire and the fire is always big.

I'm in.

JollyGreen
09-25-2013, 10:26
There will be no freezing of the butts. It's not as hard as you think. Wool socks, hot water bottles and insulated boots. Maybe a hammock sock. There is always hot water on the fire and the fire is always big.

I'm in.

Yep, car camping. You can bring all the warmth you need from home, and they'll be plenty of extra stuff there for you to use as well, this IS NEHHA!!!

Pretbek
09-25-2013, 11:26
I will try to make it, as always it depends on availability of free time.
This would be my first winter hang. ...But it is NEHHA, so I wouldn't really be roughing it. :D

gogrillz
09-25-2013, 15:05

Dang........I already missed this coming winter hang er um last year.......I'm so confused.....:confused:

Nighthauk
09-25-2013, 15:14
Dang........I already missed this coming winter hang er um last year.......I'm so confused.....:confused:

Kinda like writing the date as soon as the year changes. You never get it right the first, second or third time. :D.

SkyPainter
09-25-2013, 23:18
===> TOTALLY in! After last year, we had so much fun in the snow, there is NO WAY I will miss it!

For those who are worried about cold - do not! We will not allow you to freeze!

I may make a different version of Moroccan Goat Stew this time. Maybe.

This NEHHA is probably the most fun!

~ SkyPainter

raiffnuke
09-26-2013, 07:05
I am in!

For anyone on the fence about a winter hang, please let us know why you are afraid of the cold. We have PLENTY of gear to pass around to keep you warm. AND as usual, I will be maintaining the fire…which means it will be big and hot! Anyone who has been there before will tell you about my fires. :D

JollyGreen
09-26-2013, 07:06
I am in!

For anyone on the fence about a winter hang, please let us know why you are afraid of the cold. We have PLENTY of gear to pass around to keep you warm. AND as usual, I will be maintaining the fire…which means it will be big and hot! Anyone who has been there before will tell you about my fires. :D

Kilt and all!

raiffnuke
09-26-2013, 07:07
Kilt and all!

:D

Yes sir!

Stargaze
09-26-2013, 07:23
A new Morocan Goat Stew? In that case were in. Friends, food and snow.

Tripod
09-26-2013, 08:01
I am in and will be bringing my spicy red clam chowder. It's on the calendar!!

hk2001
09-26-2013, 08:17
I am in!

I have 2 concerns: #1 vehicle wise, going anywhere in winter in this POS hyundai we've got is scary.. trying to resolve it before winter, but unlikely.

#2, I've never done winter camping, not on the ground, nor in a hammock. I can make myself a superfly knock off, pretty easily, and a hammock with an over cover, but without a decent quality TQ/UQ combo, I'm worried about literally freezing my butt off. But, on a brighter note, my head will be warm, with my "Raiffnuke Kill Kenny Hood" :lol::lol::lol:

Seriously though.. I love the hood, I wanna add a draft collar around the neck to seal it off better.:cool:

raiffnuke
09-26-2013, 08:26
I have 2 concerns: #1 vehicle wise, going anywhere in winter in this POS hyundai we've got is scary.. trying to resolve it before winter, but unlikely.

#2, I've never done winter camping, not on the ground, nor in a hammock. I can make myself a superfly knock off, pretty easily, and a hammock with an over cover, but without a decent quality TQ/UQ combo, I'm worried about literally freezing my butt off. But, on a brighter note, my head will be warm, with my "Raiffnuke Kill Kenny Hood" :lol::lol::lol:

Seriously though.. I love the hood, I wanna add a draft collar around the neck to seal it off better.:cool:

Well, depending on where you live, I am sure someone would be more than happy to carpool and give you a ride.

You could literally show up with nothing but clothes and we could outfit you for winter. That is not a problem. Some of us with plenty of winter experience can walk you thru what you can do to stay warm, and with a list of your gear we can tell you how to stay as warm as you can with your gear and what you should use to supplement your gear to have fun this winter. If you really want to hang this winter, we can make it happen! :D

I am glad you like the hood. I made it long enough to tuck into the collar of a jacket to seal out wind if needed.

sunshower
09-26-2013, 09:07
We are in but it will be my first time Winter hammocking... Gone tenting several times.
I will need ideas to stay warm! I have a 0 degree UQ and TQ with some extra ounces of down each but I still have FL blood :rolleyes: I am using the 0 now if that gives you a place to start.

raiffnuke
09-26-2013, 09:24
We are in but it will be my first time Winter hammocking... Gone tenting several times.
I will need ideas to stay warm! I have a 0 degree UQ and TQ with some extra ounces of down each but I still have FL blood :rolleyes: I am using the 0 now if that gives you a place to start.

A layer of reflectex in your hammock will go a long ways.

And a UQ protector (easy to DIY or makeshift) is very helpful and from my experience adds 5-10* to your setup.

SkyPainter
09-26-2013, 10:33

===> Hi! Well, when dressing for winter/cold weather, use the "3 W's" - Wicking, Warmth, and Weather. Same applies to sleeping in the hammock, where you can be WAY warmer than in a tent!

WICKING - get a good 'base layer'. It should wick any moisture away from your skin, especially when hiking, but also sleeping! NO. COTTON. ANYTHING! Cotton is a terrible insulator when wet! "Cotton Kills!' Is a standard saying in the outdoors. Polypropylene or better yet - Merino Wool are best. Buy a heavier, "Expedition Weight" base layer, top and bottom.

WARMTH - Over your base layer, you can add one or more layers for warmth, depending on how you perceive cold. Fleece or wool flannel layers really amp-up the heat and retention, and layers can be vented or removed for comfort, and more importantly, moisture control! Wet plus cold = not so fun, and potentially dangerous.

WEATHER - lightweight, breathable, water proof shells over the base and warmth layers keep wet and cold out, and warmth in.

APPLIED TO THE HAMMOCK - same concepts! Wear minimally the base layer to bed. Too many clothes don't allow your body heat to heat-up the air spaces in the down. Base and one fleece or wool layer should suffice with a good TQ/UQ combo. Good TQ, hammock body, maybe a Reflectix pad, either between the hammock layers or the hammock and you, or even better, a fleece blanket or layer of some sort will keep you well insulated from any cold, Good full-length UQ. Downy goodness!

An UQ protector to keep snow, possibly wet off of the UQ also adds another layer to retain heat. You will be wrapped in a warm, warm, Burrito in the hammock!

Wicking, Warmth, And Weather...three keys to comfort in the cold!

We can help show you. It is not as hard as it seems, and is a beautiful experience in the woods!

Here's last year:
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/26/duhu7epe.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/26/vezesa9e.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/26/8yhahysu.jpg

Please come!!!

~ SkyPainter

Zilla
09-26-2013, 11:01
I have never done a winter hang but if i can talk the wife into it i want to give it a go, we both have uqs rated to -15, but our tqs are just 20 degree mummys,
Got arthitis in both knees but i try not to let it stop me, gonna spend alot of time at the fire i guess, it just sounds like too much of a good time to pass up!

raiffnuke
09-26-2013, 11:12
I have never done a winter hang but if i can talk the wife into it i want to give it a go, we both have uqs rated to -15, but our tqs are just 20 degree mummys,
Got arthitis in both knees but i try not to let it stop me, gonna spend alot of time at the fire i guess, it just sounds like too much of a good time to pass up!

Your UQ is more important than your TQ. it is very easy to compensate for warmth on top, but much harder to compensate for the bottom. With an UQ rated that low, you should be plenty warm. We can help adjust your UQ so there are no gaps and you will be toasty.

Zilla
09-26-2013, 11:21
Your UQ is more important than your TQ. it is very easy to compensate for warmth on top, but much harder to compensate for the bottom. With an UQ rated that low, you should be plenty warm. We can help adjust your UQ so there are no gaps and you will be toasty.

I Think i will take you up on that!

sunshower
09-26-2013, 12:20
I will look into the reflectix. I also have sil uncoated sock from Dream Hammocks.

Grey Eagle
09-26-2013, 12:25
I'll be there for sure! I'll also bring an extra hammock, UQ, and roll of 24" wide refletix. Nighthauk, do you want the 3 burner stove I brought to the summer hang again?

SkyPainter
09-26-2013, 12:34
I'll be there for sure! I'll also bring an extra hammock, UQ, and roll of 24" wide refletix. Nighthauk, do you want the 3 burner stove I brought to the summer hang again?

===> Can't have enough Reflectix or enough stoves in the winter!

~ Sky

raiffnuke
09-26-2013, 12:53
===> Can't have enough Reflectix or enough stoves in the winter!

~ Sky

Thats a fact!

Yes, I will be more than happy to help adjust anyone's UQ if they think they would like me to look at it. There are much easier to adjust when you are in the hammock, than trying to adjust, get in, get out, adjust again...just to find out there is still a gap somewhere that leaks your heat out.

A sock, or a BBO for a WBBB will help out a bunch. I guess they will add another 5-10° to your setup. My BBO adds a ton of warmth to my hammock.

Reflectix works really well as a foot pad, sit pad, or as a full length pad between the layers in your hammock. I have successfully taken my 20° UQ down into single didgits comfortably with the addition of a reflextix pad.

Zilla
09-26-2013, 15:23
Thats a fact!

Yes, I will be more than happy to help adjust anyone's UQ if they think they would like me to look at it. There are much easier to adjust when you are in the hammock, than trying to adjust, get in, get out, adjust again...just to find out there is still a gap somewhere that leaks your heat out.

A sock, or a BBO for a WBBB will help out a bunch. I guess they will add another 5-10° to your setup. My BBO adds a ton of warmth to my hammock.

Reflectix works really well as a foot pad, sit pad, or as a full length pad between the layers in your hammock. I have successfully taken my 20° UQ down into single didgits comfortably with the addition of a reflextix pad.

Where does one pickup a roll of reflectix, i have a dl and think sliding a peice in the full length might be a smart idea

perrito
09-26-2013, 15:27
Where does one pickup a roll of reflectix, i have a dl and think sliding a peice in the full length might be a smart idea

I got mine at Lowes.

Zilla
09-26-2013, 15:35
I got mine at Lowes.

Thank you, got one of those not too far from home...:)

raiffnuke
09-26-2013, 16:13
Most any hardware type store with ducting in it should have it.

kayak karl
09-26-2013, 19:31
where is this event? what state?

raiffnuke
09-26-2013, 19:34
where is this event? what state?

This is the winter NEHHA Hang in Chesterfield, MA.

Snaggletooth
09-26-2013, 21:30
Pfff I'm in for sure. We could have a Reflectix Exhibit. Seriously the stuff works. Make cut outs for your boots,make vests, hats whatever. "Hot Hands" brand hand warmers work best, get the sticky kind to put on cameras and phones the cold kills batteries fast. Bring several layers to put on or take off as needed and have an extra pair of boots in the car for when the ones you have on fail. I picked up a pair of the NEOS overboots after last winters hang. There are tons of tips for staying warm depending on what we get. Its going to be a good time.

Zilla
09-26-2013, 21:33
A layer of reflectex in your hammock will go a long ways.

And a UQ protector (easy to DIY or makeshift) is very helpful and from my experience adds 5-10* to your setup.

What exactly do you meen by UQ protector ?? Is the uqp best if placed between the hammock and uq or outside over the uq ? Anybody??

attroll
09-26-2013, 21:54
I am in at this point. I put it on the calendar. But a lot can change in three months.
Where is the signup sheet. If you need me to create one for you, just let me know.

lilprincess
09-26-2013, 22:06

I'm with you! I'm a New England girl but my body does Not like the cold. I use my 0 UQ and TQ almost year round. I like the wind dock over the UQ and totally take the guys up on the offer of adjusting while you're in there. That makes such a big difference. I'd also recommend booties. Keeping those feet warm make all the difference. Neos over boots are great because you can wear the down booties inside them! And don't forget a hat. Wool or down are great. Keeps the hear inside you. I'm sure if you get cold all you'll have to do is say something and 8 people will be there with an idea to warm you up. :)

raiffnuke
09-27-2013, 07:04
What exactly do you meen by UQ protector ?? Is the uqp best if placed between the hammock and uq or outside over the uq ? Anybody??

An under quilt protector is like a shield that surrounds your UQ to protect it from splashing water and blocks wind from stealing your warmth.

This is a link and picture from 2QZQ's website…

http://www.2qzqhammockhanger.com/hammockaccessories.html

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/27/du3azehe.jpg

R3l@x
09-27-2013, 07:41
I've Got this on the Calendar. Can't wait to do some rocking chair sledding again :D

raiffnuke
09-27-2013, 07:46
I've Got this on the Calendar. Can't wait to do some rocking chair sledding again :D

If you and SkyPainter bring your chairs, we could have sledding chair races!

http://youtu.be/b7HFJAQMtYQ

JollyGreen
09-27-2013, 08:00

I hope to have snowshoes by then. Maybe a quick lesson and then a hike would be great as I haven't used any since my boy scout days, long, long, long ago.....

raiffnuke
09-27-2013, 08:02
I hope to have snowshoes by then. Maybe a quick lesson and then a hike would be great as I haven't used any since my boy scout days, long, long, long ago.....

That is easy to accomplish. Of course it will depend on how much snow we will get by then.

oldsoldier
09-27-2013, 08:11
I am tentatively in. I am getting laid off next Friday, but am going for a town position this Tuesday. I dont know if I will get the job, and, if I do, what my schedule will be. So, if I have the time off, I will be there.
As to worrying about being warm while sleeping, I probably had the most minimal setup last year: simply a 0 degree bag, with reflectix underneath. I put a water bottle filled with hot water in the sleeping bag about a half hour before bed, and slept warm both nights. So warm, I had the bag partially opened. I also wore nothing but wool layers. Never once did I get chilly. A word of advice to anyone coming though: wear WINTER boots. Not sneakers, not your usual hikers. We had several people last year that wore inappropriate footwear, and their feet got wet, and cold. Dont do that. To be honest, you are better off wearing flipflops (no lie-your feet will not freeze, as they arent contained in a cold, wet environment). So, please, think of your feet. Spending the entire weekend with your feet propped in front of a fire, although fun, doesnt allow you to get to explore, when your footwear is frozen solid.

mainewoods
09-27-2013, 08:33
I added it to my list to check into looks like a great time Maine guys like snow lol . New to this would be a test for sure lol. I need a UQ for sure. On my Christmas list maybe ???
See what is on plan .

raiffnuke
09-27-2013, 08:39
I added it to my list to check into looks like a great time Maine guys like snow lol . New to this would be a test for sure lol. I need a UQ for sure. On my Christmas list maybe ???
See what is on plan .

Just so people understand, you do not need an UQ to be comfortable and warm in the winter, but is sure helps!

A couple of pads and/or some reflectex will take you a long ways.

mainewoods
09-27-2013, 08:44
I was thinking my MSS?

SkyPainter
09-27-2013, 08:48

===> Definitely bringing my rocker to race! It's back in the truck someplace, but I have faith that 'Francois' will offer it back up when we need it!

~ Sky

JoshuaTrees
09-27-2013, 16:13
So this reflectix that everyone speaks of. Is it able to work it's magic without also causing moisture control issues? If so, I'm going to Lowes tomorrow.

raiffnuke
09-27-2013, 16:19
So this reflectix that everyone speaks of. Is it able to work it's magic without also causing moisture control issues? If so, I'm going to Lowes tomorrow.

As long as I have had it between the layers of my hammock, I have not had any issues. And at that low temperature, you should not sweat much.

oldsoldier
09-27-2013, 16:20

I have a double layer WBBB, didnt have moisture issues. Or, rather, if I did, I wasnt aware. Of course, I did air stuff out during the day too.

perrito
09-27-2013, 16:44
I use a piece at the foot of my hammock between the layers and I get a little bit of moisture but not enough to even wet the top layer. Now a full length piece would surely be a different matter.

SkyPainter
09-27-2013, 18:51
===> Not all Lowe's stores carry Reflectix. The one near me only has 1ft wide duct/pipe wrap, that only has foil on one side. However, the Mom N Pop hardware store had it- go figure!

~ SkyPainter

raiffnuke
09-27-2013, 19:29
The sign up sheet is posted. There is a link in my signature. Thanks to r3l@x for setting it up.

Stargaze
09-27-2013, 20:07
Were all signed up. I hope we have snow again. Reflectix races down the hill anyone?

Pretbek
09-27-2013, 20:25
'Francois'

:D You crack me up Skypainter.

raiffnuke
09-28-2013, 09:24
Based on the success of the raffles we have held at the NEHHA's, I recommend that we hold another raffle at the winter NEHHA. I also suggest that we donate the proceeds to another charity. We should make a group decision as to which charity we donate to. My nomination is to donate to Celiac Disease research, but I am biased as my daughter has celiac. The University of Chicago has a celiac research facility, and they claim that they may have a cure in the next 10-15 years.

We can take more nominations for the charity and then hold some sort of vote.

Is it too early to start getting excited for the winter hang? :D

BFGMofo
09-28-2013, 09:24
I just bought a Speer Polar Pod and believe this would be an excellent opportunity to put it to the test and hang with some new friends in the NE. I may have missed it in the earlier posts, when and where? Is there a google sign up sheet?

BFGMofo
09-28-2013, 09:26
I just bought a Speer Polar Pod and believe this would be an excellent opportunity to put it to the test and hang with some new friends in the NE. I may have missed it in the earlier posts, when and where? Is there a google sign up sheet?

And then I opened my eyes and saw the sign up sheet link right above my post. Momma says these is magic shoes.:lol:

raiffnuke
09-28-2013, 09:26

Jan 10-12, 2014 in Chesterfield, MA. There is a sign up sheet that R3l@x set up for us, and there is a link in my signature.

mattyoc20
09-28-2013, 10:10
Yea buddy put it in the calander

CountryRoads
09-28-2013, 10:33
I'm in for sure and probably cosmic camper. Raiff, I'll be in VA over the holidays and have unlimited fire wood down there. I can bring a lot back with me if that will help with the fire efforts. I'm not sure the rules about bringing it up from the south. So let me know if you want me to bring some; I can load up the back of the truck!
CountryRoads

tri-pod bob
09-28-2013, 10:44
There's a 1st time for everything one does, so.....I'm in for a 1st winter hang!

Zilla
09-28-2013, 10:44
Jan 10-12, 2014 in Chesterfield, MA. There is a sign up sheet that R3l@x set up for us, and there is a link in my signature.

I have noticed that on one of the other hang spreadsheets that it said , all full but you could go on the wait list,
Is there a limit to how many hangers can attend for this?

We are going to try very hard to attend but my wife cannot submit a leave request form from work until nov.15 per her work policy. if there is a limit i will sign up now and hope for the best, i dont like to pull out once i commit but i dont want to lose a spot either!.
This will be our first winter hang and i am kinda looking foward to the challenge of it

raiffnuke
09-28-2013, 11:05
There is no limit to the number of people for this hang.

@countryroads, the more wood we have, the bigger the fire…and people know how much I like fire! :D

JoshuaTrees
09-28-2013, 12:15

Definitely not!

I've been pumped for it since listening to you guys talk about it at the fall NEHHA, smelly goat stew and all.

Pretbek
09-28-2013, 12:48
Another raffle would be great!

Tapatalk does not show signatures (at least not on iPhone and on android tablet).
Nighthauk, could you put the link to the sign up sheet in the body of the first post?

raiffnuke
09-28-2013, 13:33
Another raffle would be great!

Tapatalk does not show signatures (at least not on iPhone and on android tablet).
Nighthauk, could you put the link to the sign up sheet in the body of the first post?

Here is the link…

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/lv?key=0Ah4b9cfRoQLZdFhYZXBvWlpKUEw0SDdOOXFPOWVnaE E&usp=sharing

Suede
09-28-2013, 14:08
I'm in. It will be my first winter hang.
Looking forward!

civetta
09-28-2013, 14:31
Based on the success of the raffles we have held at the NEHHA's, I recommend that we hold another raffle at the winter NEHHA. I also suggest that we donate the proceeds to another charity. We should make a group decision as to which charity we donate to. My nomination is to donate to Celiac Disease research, but I am biased as my daughter has celiac. The University of Chicago has a celiac research facility, and they claim that they may have a cure in the next 10-15 years.

I'll go with the Celiac research. My mom has it and it's a rough ride for anyone.

SkyPainter
09-28-2013, 14:58
===> I will third Celiac Research! I love that the NEHHA members are willing to help various charities; help others the way we all help Newbs and each other!

This is a very active, and special group of people!

~ SkyPainter

SkyPainter
09-28-2013, 15:13
I'm in for sure and probably cosmic camper. Raiff, I'll be in VA over the holidays and have unlimited fire wood down there. I can bring a lot back with me if that will help with the fire efforts. I'm not sure the rules about bringing it up from the south. So let me know if you want me to bring some; I can load up the back of the truck!
CountryRoads

===> I would be careful bringing any wood into the state. There is a ban on outside wood in all state forests, parks, and National Forests, due to two invasive species- the Emerald Ash Borer, and WORSE, the Asian Longhorn Beetle! They had to cut down over 30,000 trees in Worcester MA - right in people's yards, no less- because the Asian Longhorn was discovered in the city!

We really don't want to destroy the very woods we cherish. It is a very real threat. The New England lumber industry is quaking in their boots right now, due to the threat posed by these two insects!

Just sayin'. Hate to have you get stopped at the border for this. It's a real risk!

~ SkyPainter

raiffnuke
09-28-2013, 15:20
Sky brings up a good point. I will confer with Nighthauk and come up with a plan for the wood.

Stargaze
09-28-2013, 15:31

I will third or fourth this. Its a great idea.

Stargaze
09-28-2013, 15:34
Sky brings up a good point. I will confer with Nighthauk and come up with a plan for the wood.

Do you think Nighthauk's dad would miss another half a cord of wood ? We must have burned close to that last year.

raiffnuke
09-28-2013, 15:35
Do you think Nighthauk's dad would miss another half a cord of wood ? We must have burned close to that last year.

Shhhh don't tell anyone, but I hope he has more this year! :D

CountryRoads
09-28-2013, 16:45
So, I knew bringing wood up might be a problem. The only stuff I would be bringing would be Oak or Locust and neither of those are really susceptible to the Emerald Ash Borer or the Asian Longhorn. But, Sky it would suck to be turned away at the gate with a bunch of wood from VA. A half a cord is probably all I could bring up. I have a small truck and that Oak is heavy! So I'll let you all decide what would be best. I could put it in giant trash bags and keep it in those untill we burn it... VA doesn't really have any Emerald Ash Borers but there are a few spots were Asian Longhorns have been found.

CountryRoads

Coffee Bean
09-28-2013, 17:27
Definitely down with donating to Celiac Research. Great and worthy
cause!

Also, just wanted to say for the first time winter hangers, we rigged sleeping bags as uqs and were just toasty with a nalgene bottle full of hot water. Really. Like old soldier mentioned i would think more about your feet. Lesson learned at the last winter hang. Also, we literally brought everything but the kitchen sink with us (its car camping!) Just in case. Dont let fear of being cold keep you home. You'll be ok. I had my doubts last year and can honestly say it was one of the most fun weekends of my life. Coffee's bottomless at this hang!

Nighthauk
09-28-2013, 17:39
Sorry guys for being so quiet. Melanie is doing great. Walking without a walker. I have also been out in the woods for the last three days. Oh darn. Lol. Either way it looks like we have a great response for this hang. I as well am looking forward to this one. Raiff that sounds great. The only better one I can think of the NIGHTHAUK gear fund charity. :D

Coffee Bean
09-28-2013, 19:44
Great news Nighthawk and Lil Princess!

Just went on an owl prowl with the kids and thought of you guys. Of course the peacefulness of the woods was interrupted by some loud punks but it was still a nice walk. Heard one owl. Kam said he wished TJ was there.

oldsoldier
09-28-2013, 20:00
Ok, I am down for a tentative. I will likely only be able to do one night, again, depending on my tentative new job. But, one night out is better than none! Lets cross our collective fingers that, one, I get the job, and, two it doesnt interfere with that weekend!
On a side note, celiac sounds fine for me. Either that, or Crohn's, as Nicky has that, and its still a largely misunderstood disease. I am perfectly fine with celiac though, her brother has that.

hk2001
09-28-2013, 20:40
So, I knew bringing wood up might be a problem. The only stuff I would be bringing would be Oak or Locust and neither of those are really susceptible to the Emerald Ash Borer or the Asian Longhorn. But, Sky it would suck to be turned away at the gate with a bunch of wood from VA. A half a cord is probably all I could bring up. I have a small truck and that Oak is heavy! So I'll let you all decide what would be best. I could put it in giant trash bags and keep it in those untill we burn it... VA doesn't really have any Emerald Ash Borers but there are a few spots were Asian Longhorns have been found.

CountryRoads

I know NY has a ban on ALL wood transferred from out of state, and moving wood into the state or outside a 50 miles radius will get you a pretty chunky fine. Mass has stricter rules, I've been told.

Honestly, I think it'd be far safer for you CR, and better from a conservation standpoint to simply ask for a $5 or $10 donation to bulk buy wood from someone locally. Unless NH can get some, as Stargaze suggested. Because In order to go from VA to MA, you've got to pass through NY.. so not worth the risk.

Nighthauk
09-29-2013, 07:33
CountryRoads

Countryroads while I appreciate the offer there is a ban in effect for moving wood across state lines. Sorry. With that said I will have plenty of wood. My dad lives two minutes away and he has about 14 cords sitting around. :D

raiffnuke
09-29-2013, 07:34
Countryroads while I appreciate the offer there is a ban in effect for moving wood across state lines. Sorry. With that said I will have plenty of wood. My dad lives two minutes away and he has about 14 cords sitting around. :D

He won't have that much by the time we are done with it! :D

Nighthauk
09-29-2013, 07:36
No Raiff. That is not a challenge.

raiffnuke
09-29-2013, 07:37
No Raiff. That is not a challenge.

Aww shucks!

Don't worry, I will try to restrain myself... :D

SkyPainter
09-29-2013, 08:03
===> Just remember - raiff has a chain saw....and a kilt!

~ Sky

Nighthauk
09-29-2013, 08:05
That was my chainsaw. I usual have two always in my truck.

raiffnuke
09-29-2013, 08:07
===> Just remember - raiff has a chain saw....and a kilt!

~ Sky

That was my chainsaw. I usual have two always in my truck.

I have my own chainsaw at home. Never underestimate a man in a kilt and his desire for firewood!

SkyPainter
09-29-2013, 08:13
===> I think we will be all set for wood, then! Sanity, not so much. But wood, yep!

~ Sky

raiffnuke
09-29-2013, 08:14
===> I think we will be all set for wood, then! Sanity, not so much. But wood, yep!

~ Sky

No one said that sanity was a requirement for a winter hang... :D

Nighthauk
09-29-2013, 08:29
No one said that sanity was a requirement for a winter hang... :D

Actually I think lack of Sanity is a requirement for our winter hang.

raiffnuke
09-29-2013, 08:30

4 out of 5 voices in my head agree with your statement.

BFGMofo
09-29-2013, 09:29

That said, I am definitely a good fit for this hang.

hk2001
09-29-2013, 10:18

Is the one with the kilt the one that disagrees?

Glad I found this group :D

raiffnuke
09-29-2013, 10:44
Is the one with the kilt the one that disagrees?

Glad I found this group :D

Which one with which kilt, I have many of both. :D

JoshuaTrees
09-29-2013, 11:38

oh man, do the voices in our heads count as members of our party, if so I'll have to edit the spreadsheet :laugh:

raiffnuke
09-29-2013, 11:39
oh man, do the voices in our heads count as members of our party, if so I'll have to edit the spreadsheet :laugh:

Nah, they only use one hammock at a time, so we should be good.

hk2001
09-29-2013, 12:49
so I picked up a truck windshield reflector @ TSC today on clearance

https://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/2/2/9/2/6/img_0398_thumb.jpg (https://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=21996&c=14)

It looks like reflectex, but I have no idea.

Also, and Idea if 2 IX UQ's used together would work?

raiffnuke
09-29-2013, 15:11
Something I would like to bring up ahead of time is adult beverages. We have never had an issue and I don't expect there to be any issues in the future. However, I would like to express that moderation is important, especially with the number if first time winter hangers we will have at the Winter NEHHA. I would like everyone to be on the top of their game and vigilant for the comfort of others around you, same as we always do.

I guess all I am really trying to say is that I wish everyone to remain responsible and courteous , especially around the children, just like we have always been.

And remember the only rule we really stress…

EVERYONE MUST HAVE FUN!

I look forward to seeing you all at the Winter NEHHA .

SkyPainter
09-29-2013, 16:04
===> Okay...guess I have to alter my reworked Goat Stew recipe!

~ Sky

raiffnuke
09-29-2013, 16:07
===> Okay...guess I have to alter my reworked Goat Stew recipe!

~ Sky

Yeah, that was the first stew I have ever seen served flambé!

CountryRoads
09-29-2013, 16:58

Okay, sorry I can't help out with that, but I wouldn't want to start an outbreak. You are right. We need trees if we're gonna hang hammocks! I've been called insane for wanting to camp in January by quite a few people. I'm glad that's a requirement...:sneaky:

weathermaker
09-29-2013, 18:58
I am on the spread sheet for some reason I'm #79.
Weathermaker

hk2001
09-29-2013, 19:13
I am on the spread sheet for some reason I'm #79.
Weathermaker

I added you a little higher up :) you're #21 now, right up with the rest of us.

Nighthauk
09-29-2013, 19:36
I guess I should out my name on there since I am hosting it. :D.

weathermaker
09-29-2013, 20:44
I added you a little higher up :) you're #21 now, right up with the rest of us.

Thanks for moving me on up. 8)

Coffee Bean
09-29-2013, 20:52
I think Stargaze is getting excited. He's laying in bed in Raif's old sleeping bag liner that he won in tge raffle. It's going to be a long 3 months.

P.S. Nighthauk, if we sign up for the next Fall Hang using the link in your signature does that count as pre-registration?

Nighthauk
09-29-2013, 21:07
Um sure but I can't guarantee that the hang will be there so you might have a hard time getting in and be lonely.

Wise Old Owl
09-29-2013, 21:12
W00t! This is on the calendar.

McRat sightings are more common in winter anyways... ;)

Ughhh. that's my line...

http://rlv.zcache.com/give_a_woot_hoot_owl_post_card-r878b2e65b009475e89f0f8bf0e8e34c6_vgbaq_8byvr_512. jpg

Just a FYI I am in Pest Control!....No worries mate!

Pretbek
09-30-2013, 13:50
I want to come, if only to learn (trial by fire, no: ice) winter hammocking.
Perhaps also to hang with a crazy bunch again, just under slightly different circumstances. :D

Just a FYI I am in Pest Control!....No worries mate!

Let me know if the pest you are dealing with needs a precision pellet rifle solution.

hk2001
09-30-2013, 14:05
Perhaps also to hang with a crazy bunch again, just under slightly different circumstances. :D

Let me know if the pest you are dealing with needs a precision pellet rifle solution.

But then you'd have to get your name and avatar printed on a coat!

raiffnuke
09-30-2013, 14:20

Come on out! We will take good care of you...at least that is what most of the voices are saying. :D

hk2001
09-30-2013, 14:43
Just to put the thought out there, if anyone from NY is passing along I-88 (I live just off exit 22) or through albany, let me know.

Still working on a vehicle, but I want to put something out there now just in case. I come packing gas $.

Veto 65
09-30-2013, 19:12
Just to put the thought out there, if anyone from NY is passing along I-88 (I live just off exit 22) or through albany, let me know.

Still working on a vehicle, but I want to put something out there now just in case. I come packing gas $.

You sound you are from Rotterdam. Even though I will be back tracking I can pick you no problem. Just give me a PM.

raiffnuke
09-30-2013, 19:22
You sound you are from Rotterdam. Even though I will be back tracking I can pick you no problem. Just give me a PM.

Way to go Veto! We will be glad to have you both there.

JollyGreen
09-30-2013, 19:46

Right on Veto

Nighthauk
09-30-2013, 20:45
Phew I think I just made it under the wire. I am all signed up for the winter hang. I was worried that I wouldnt be able to go. :D

Zilla
09-30-2013, 22:39
I See that there are only 2 slots left before it says all full, so i signed up!
Really want my wife to come but she says unless there is a cabin with fireplace she wont go, yes yes sometimes the wife can be a little difficult, if they dont have cabins maybe somewhere up there they do camper rentals? trying hard to find a way without leaving her home ,I am open to all and any suggestions, and divorce is not an option before anybody even goes there..
She wants to sleep inside and i want to sleep in my hammock, heck that IS what i bought the underquilts for...:mellow:

Nighthauk
09-30-2013, 22:55
I See that there are only 2 slots left before it says all full, so i signed up!
Really want my wife to come but she says unless there is a cabin with fireplace she wont go, yes yes sometimes the wife can be a little difficult, if they dont have cabins maybe somewhere up there they do camper rentals? trying hard to find a way without leaving her home ,I am open to all and any suggestions, and divorce is not an option before anybody even goes there..
She wants to sleep inside and i want to sleep in my hammock, heck that IS what i bought the underquilts for...:mellow:

I will work on the Cabin thing. I have to talk to the caretaker and see what we can do. As to the signups you signed up for the Fall one. That is already happened. There is a new addy in my sig for you to use.

Zilla
09-30-2013, 23:13
I will work on the Cabin thing. I have to talk to the caretaker and see what we can do. As to the signups you signed up for the Fall one. That is already happened. There is a new addy in my sig for you to use.

DUUHH!, I Must be tired, I dont even know how i got to that spreadsheet , sorry bout that, i apreciate you trying to help me out on this

Thanks

Zilla

fishbait
10-02-2013, 06:20
Well it's either the NJ Winter Hang or Winter NEHHA and I have yet to make it to a NEHHA event. So I'll put my name on the list yet again and pray the Hammock Gods are kind. :D

Pretbek
10-02-2013, 08:38
Well it's either the NJ Winter Hang or Winter NEHHA and I have yet to make it to a NEHHA event. So I'll put my name on the list yet again and pray the Hammock Gods are kind. :D

The Hammock Gods are almost always kind. It's those Weather Gods' shenanigans that you need to be prepared for.

SkyPainter
10-02-2013, 19:35
===> Actually, the Weather Gods should send us 3 ft of snow! Then we could have a real Winter NEHHA like last year!

~ SkyPainter - unpacking his new NEOS Navigators

raiffnuke
10-02-2013, 19:54
===> Actually, the Weather Gods should send us 3 ft of snow! Then we could have a real Winter NEHHA like last year!

Nice choice. Those NEOS are worth every penny!

Nighthauk
10-02-2013, 20:27

Nice choice. Those NEOS are worth every penny!

Me Too. Love mine as well. Also just ordered a 0* Full Lynx for the RR too.

perrito
10-02-2013, 20:58
An FYI,
The MAHHA guys just had a spreadsheet scare. They thought that it had been vandalized and deleted. It might be a good idea for the spreadsheet owner to create a non-shared copy and to updated it occasionally to avoid a similar problem.

Nighthauk
10-02-2013, 22:11
It is already happening. Though they were able to retrieve all the lost info. Which is great.

Tripod
10-03-2013, 06:52
I confirmed this morning and am now awaiting a underquilt protector from 2QzQ and my hammock flag and I should be good to go.

Nighthauk
10-03-2013, 06:53
You will like the UQ protector. They work well. I am still wanting to get a flag. I just haven't ordered one yet.

Zilla
10-03-2013, 06:59
You will like the UQ protector. They work well. I am still wanting to get a flag. I just haven't ordered one yet.

Gonna order my flag in the morning, just waiting for pay day.!:D

Had a problem with fed ex and my new thread injecter should be here today, gonna try and make my own uq protecter, i have alot of dwr fabric just waiting to turned into stuff.

If i am able to make the winter hang i should have all the gear i need, maybe even some to share if needed!..

Zilla (formerly saedy)

oldsoldier
10-03-2013, 13:21
Well, tomorrow, I get laid off, from a job I have been in 6 years. Today, however, I recieved a call from the Wayland PD, about the EMD position I interviewed for on Tuesday, and will officially start there upon return from my honeymoon, at the end of October. So, I WILL be employed. Whether I will have the time off or not, I do not know. But, as of today, I am looking more likely TO be there, than not. Pending my schedule. I really hope to make it though!!!! I missed the fall one, and it kinda bummed me out :(

hk2001
10-03-2013, 13:32
Congrats on the new job!

Zilla
10-03-2013, 13:36
Well, tomorrow, I get laid off, from a job I have been in 6 years. Today, however, I recieved a call from the Wayland PD, about the EMD position I interviewed for on Tuesday, and will officially start there upon return from my honeymoon, at the end of October. So, I WILL be employed. Whether I will have the time off or not, I do not know. But, as of today, I am looking more likely TO be there, than not. Pending my schedule. I really hope to make it though!!!! I missed the fall one, and it kinda bummed me out :(

Congrats on the new job !:thumbup::thumbup: in todays times you are very fortunate

Crash
10-03-2013, 14:01
I'll be putting in a time off request today. I don't want to miss the winter hang. Sorry I could not make the fall hang. JerzyBears: are u coming up or hibernating?

R3l@x
10-03-2013, 14:20
An FYI,
The MAHHA guys just had a spreadsheet scare. They thought that it had been vandalized and deleted. It might be a good idea for the spreadsheet owner to create a non-shared copy and to updated it occasionally to avoid a similar problem.

I'm in IT, I never trust computers :laugh:

Back ups happen every couple days at the beginning. and once a week or so after it's been up a month. Thanks for the heads up, can't wait to do more knife show and tell at the next hang!

Stargaze
10-03-2013, 16:30
Three months away and we have 30 signed up so far. Fantastic .

Nighthauk
10-03-2013, 16:33
That is awesome OldSoldier. I am glad that you have something already lined up. I should be looking soon for a job for myself but random jobs keep coming my way. I am liking self-employment too much. :D

Three months away and we have 30 signed up so far. Fantastic .

It is not now that I get excited about numbers but the night before. Random things happen. Lilprincess for example.

SkyPainter
10-03-2013, 17:15
===> WOW! Awesome news, Bill! Now you can truly enjoy your honeymoon with Nikki, and breath easy! Can't wait to see you guys again! Hope to see you at the Winter Hang, and if Nitehauk can wrangle the indoor cabin for Zilla's wife, maybe Nikki can join us there!

Best of everything, Buddy!

~ SkyPainter

Pretbek
10-03-2013, 17:41
Congrats on the job old soldier! It is very nice to be employed when you still want to.
I hope you get the time off, so you can enjoy a nice vacation.

Zilla
10-04-2013, 14:45
[QUOTE=SkyPainter;1107213]===> WOW! Awesome news, Bill! Now you can truly enjoy your honeymoon with Nikki, and breath easy! Can't wait to see you guys again! Hope to see you at the Winter Hang, and if Nitehauk can wrangle the indoor cabin for Zilla's wife, maybe Nikki can join us there!

Best of ever

Got my fingers crossed, Cant figure out why i want to camp outside in extreme cold, but i really really want to ...:confused:

hk2001
10-05-2013, 20:21
Got a ride, and bringing a +1.. but she's a ground dweller..

NH, you told me at the fall hang there were lean tos up there, and to sleep in, or just for gear storage?

Nighthauk
10-05-2013, 20:23
The lean to's are for mostly storage but you can grab one to sleep in with no problem.

hk2001
10-05-2013, 22:14
Alright.. she may end up having to do that, as she doesn't want to try the hammock thing, and I don't have a.. "shelter for ground dwellers" that's suitable for winter.

I can't force myself to use the T word...

Nighthauk
10-08-2013, 21:20
Hey folks sorry it has taken me a little while getting back to you. Some of you have asked if there are warm cabins there to use for their significant other who wants to come but won't camp outside. The short answer is yes...but we have to rent them. The areas that we are using costs $45 which I usually cover. If we want to rent the building down below which would give any number of people a warm place to sleep would add another $125.00. This would give us most of one side of camp. Those that have been there before know what this side looks like. It is the building down where we park our cars. It gives us a LOT of room.
If there is just one couple or small group that would like a smaller more remote cabin the cost is $80.
If there is interest of any of the options we should move quickly at least to reserve I can pay a little later. Let me know. Thanks. I am really looking forward to this hang. To add a little excitement if there isn't any by now. Raiff and I have some special surprises in store for the rest if you. ;) I am not telling so don't ask. :D.

Zilla
10-08-2013, 22:07
Hey folks sorry it has taken me a little while getting back to you. Some of you have asked if there are warm cabins there to use for their significant other who wants to come but won't camp outside. The short answer is yes...but we have to rent them. The areas that we are using costs $45 which I usually cover. If we want to rent the building down below which would give any number of people a warm place to sleep would add another $125.00. This would give us most of one side of camp. Those that have been there before know what this side looks like. It is the building down where we park our cars. It gives us a LOT of room.
If there is just one couple or small group that would like a smaller more remote cabin the cost is $80.
If there is interest of any of the options we should move quickly at least to reserve I can pay a little later. Let me know. Thanks. I am really looking forward to this hang. To add a little excitement if there isn't any by now. Raiff and I have some special surprises in store for the rest if you. ;) I am not telling so don't ask. :D.

I Allmost forgot- Thank you to Nighthawk for taking the time to look into this, we really apreciate it!

YYYEEEEEESSSSSS, Then i am in! My wife does not want to be stuck outside so we are willing to rent a cabin for her, i will be outside in my hammock .
If there are any other women that feel the same as my wife then maybe the women can share the big shelter and they can all split the cost.
Hk2001 , this sounds like a good solution for your +1, gotta be warmer than a leantoo.
If we can get a few more +1s the cost would be very minimal for all.
Please let me know so we can let nighthawk know what option he has to reserve..:thumbup::tongueup::thumbup::tongueup:

Zilla
10-08-2013, 22:31
Ok i am 95% in,my wife still has to put in request for the time off, atleast the monday after but i dont think it will be a problem.
As it is now , she has just been told that she has 23 use it or lose it days built up and has till 12/31 to use them or lose them, she never takes a day off, god bless her!

hk2001
10-09-2013, 09:36
I'll put $15-$20 towards the cabin.

My best friend, (my +1) wants to TRY a hammock, or the lean to, but I'm still not sure if she'll make it in the hammock.. The lean to, I know she can do, but will still contribute to the cabin in case she needs to fall back to it.

For the moment, for me, I'm looking at a 4 layer IX (20-25*?) UQ, with the reflectex window thing in between the layers of the hammock. (built myself another DL for this hang, no netting but a stowable 1.1 overcover :cursing:)

For a TQ I have a 15* mummy bag and a breathable SOL Space blanket.

Still fishing for a winter tarp with doors, but if I have to, I'll make one out of the Black coated 70d from DIY GS.

Liz (the above mentioned +1) will be running about the same setup.

So please, if there's any holes, or cheap fixes to up the effectiveness of the above setup, let me know. You all have far more experience at the winter thing than I do.

I intend on ordering a UQ blank from Lost_biker in the near future, and I put down as the #1 on my Xmas list.. but I guess it's up to the wife if she wants to buy me a bag of dead goose for christmas. :lol:

Nighthauk
10-09-2013, 09:39
So are we interested in the building and therefore I should reserve it? Correct? If you are can you get the money to me via paypal. Pm me for details.

raiffnuke
10-09-2013, 09:39
I'll put $15-$20 towards the cabin.

My best friend, (my +1) wants to TRY a hammock, or the lean to, but I'm still not sure if she'll make it in the hammock.. The lean to, I know she can do, but will still contribute to the cabin in case she needs to fall back to it.

For the moment, for me, I'm looking at a 4 layer IX (20-25*?) UQ, with the reflectex window thing in between the layers of the hammock. (built myself another DL for this hang, no netting but a stowable 1.1 overcover :cursing:)

For a TQ I have a 15* mummy bag and a breathable SOL Space blanket.

Still fishing for a winter tarp with doors, but if I have to, I'll make one out of the Black coated 70d from DIY GS.

Liz (the above mentioned +1) will be running about the same setup.

So please, if there's any holes, or cheap fixes to up the effectiveness of the above setup, let me know. You all have far more experience at the winter thing than I do.

I intend on ordering a UQ blank from Lost_biker in the near future, and I put down as the #1 on my Xmas list.. but I guess it's up to the wife if she wants to buy me a bag of dead goose for christmas. :lol:

It sounds like you are off to a good start. We will help you tweak the setup and supplement if needed once we see the gear setup. We will not let you freeze out there. :D

hk2001
10-09-2013, 09:41
It sounds like you are off to a good start. We will help you tweak the setup and supplement if needed once we see the gear setup. We will not let you freeze out there. :D

Well, I have the Kill Kenny hood too.... so I'm not to worried :)

Are we doing another raffle? if so, I need to start picking up / making stuff for it

Nighthauk
10-09-2013, 09:43
Yup we will be doing another raffle.

raiffnuke
10-09-2013, 09:44
Well, I have the Kill Kenny hood too.... so I'm not to worried :)

Are we doing another raffle? if so, I need to start picking up / making stuff for it

Absolutely we are doing another raffle!

Nighthauk
10-09-2013, 22:03
So it sounds like we have at least two people interested in the Cabin, I will reserve it tomorrow for the one just down the road where the parking is. I will let you know what the cost is. Maybe I can get a deal for that whole side that isn't crazy expensive. Let you all know tomorrow.

hk2001
10-09-2013, 22:18
Yea, let us know NH..

My +1 is adamant that she can do the leanto, and even a hammock.. And actually got kinda ticked at me when I suggested the "backup" plan..

Zilla
10-10-2013, 13:22
Just out of curiosity what were the temps at last years winter hang,?,what was the coldest it got and warmest ?.

Nighthauk
10-10-2013, 13:23
I think they got down to around 15ish at nights and about 26ish during the day. Nothing like the frozen butt hang in Minnesota.

raiffnuke
10-10-2013, 13:23
Just out of curiosity what were the temps at last years winter hang,?,what was the coldest it got and warmest ?.

Warmest was mid 30's. Coldest was probably mid teens, I don't think we hit single digits, but we got close.

raiffnuke
10-10-2013, 13:24
I think they got down to around 15ish at nights and about 26ish during the day. Nothing like the frozen butt hang in Minnesota.

Warmest was mid 30's. Coldest was probably mid teens, I don't think we hit single digits, but we got close.

Just average these responses. :D

Nighthauk
10-10-2013, 13:32
Here is the video for the hang. It might be in there some where. This is the same location that we were at as last time so it will give you an idea of what to expect.

BbcZu4cWnPc

raiffnuke
10-10-2013, 13:37
Here is another.

[YOUTUBE]http://youtu.be/pehuWydW4vo

Zilla
10-10-2013, 15:35
Here is another.

http://youtu.be/pehuWydW4vo

This link dont work
I just watched Nighthawks video, thanks for that by the way, and now in my mind january is gonna take foever to get here!, not even single digits isnt so bad. they say this winter is gonna be colder than the last few years.
Then we just build a bigger fire!

hk2001
10-10-2013, 15:38
This link dont work
I just watched Nighthawks video, thanks for that by the way, and now in my mind january is gonna take foever to get here!, not even single digits isnt so bad. they say this winter is gonna be colder than the last few years.

They said that about last winter in early October too

raiffnuke
10-10-2013, 15:43
This link dont work

It is working for me.

Nighthauk
10-10-2013, 15:56
I hope it is much colder than last year. Throughout all of last years camping I was only able to get as low as -3 twice. And that was before I got a new -10ish burrow and -10ish Incubator. I also have a new full length lynx w/3oz over fill. Bring on the cold.

Zilla
10-10-2013, 16:31
Here is another.

Its works for me now,thanks

JoshuaTrees
10-10-2013, 18:35
Here is the video for the hang. It might be in there some where. This is the same location that we were at as last time so it will give you an idea of what to expect.

[YOUTUBE]BbcZu4cWnPc]

Here is another.

Awesome videos guys. The place looks awesome. Finally got to see the goat stew mushroom cloud I've heard so much about! :laugh:

civetta
10-10-2013, 23:04
Yea, let us know NH..

My +1 is adamant that she can do the leanto, and even a hammock.. And actually got kinda ticked at me when I suggested the "backup" plan..

Good for her.

Nighthauk
10-11-2013, 08:36
Ok guys. Do I have enough interest and monies to rent out the warren chase building. The building where we park our cars. The cost will be $125 to rent the building. What this would give us is a cabin with a wood stove, electricity, refrigerators, and bed if needed. I am not pushing one way or the other but I do need to reserve it soon if we are interested in it. Especially for those that are not quite willing to sleep outside or a fall back position if someone's gear is inadequate at night. You guys tell me. Yeah or nay.

Tripod
10-11-2013, 08:46
My wife might be interested in coming if she could sleep in the bunk House. Do we have cost on this yet.

Joe

Nighthauk
10-11-2013, 08:49
It is $125 Split however many ways. Right now there are 2 people interested in it. JPkeo if you are one and I think Zilla.

cosmic camper
10-11-2013, 11:49
Wooo hooo ! Just signed up, already excited :) Operation Reflectex commences this evening, me and my good buddy CountryRoads are heading to dear Hadley's Lithia Springs for an evening of hammock bliss :)

Looking forward to seeing you all again!

Nighthauk
10-11-2013, 11:52
where abouts is Lithia Springs?

Pretbek
10-11-2013, 13:20
Wooo hooo ! Just signed up, already excited :) Operation Reflectex commences this evening, me and my good buddy CountryRoads are heading to dear Hadley's Lithia Springs for an evening of hammock bliss :)

Looking forward to seeing you all again!

Can you hang at/near the reservoir, or do you stay well hidden in the woods?

Zilla
10-11-2013, 15:13
It is $125 Split however many ways. Right now there are 2 people interested in it. JPkeo if you are one and I think Zilla.

I Am a YES for the bunk house, it is the only way i can get my wife to come ,
So just let me know when you need my share, i really do want to attend the winter hang, i am pretty sure i have the right gear to hang , she wants to be sure that if she needs to get warm or cant cut it outside all night that she has a cabin to go and sleep in,

If i have to foot the whole $125.00 i will but it would not only be nice to share the cost, it would also be nice for my wife to have company.
I am not going to sleep in there, any of the women are more than welcome though!

Zilla

raiffnuke
10-11-2013, 15:21
We will make sure everyone is nice and warm. If anyone is not nice and warm, it will be their own fault for not telling us. There will be plenty gear to use/borrow if needed.

Tripod
10-11-2013, 19:37

After much discussion, my wife will not be attending the winter hang but will be going to Williamstown to visit the grandchildren and their parents. My status stays the same, I will be attending.

Joe

tri-pod bob
10-12-2013, 07:43
where abouts is Lithia Springs?

It's off of Pearl St, in So. Hadley. It's also used by mtn. bikers.

Nighthauk
10-12-2013, 08:30
Man with this many people in western mass we could almost put together a mini hang. Hmmmm

Thank for the info bob.

raiffnuke
10-12-2013, 08:37
Man with this many people in western mass we could almost put together a mini hang. Hmmmm

Thank for the info bob.

....ideas, ideas....:D

CountryRoads
10-12-2013, 10:17
Yeah, Cosmic camper and I would be in. We hang most weekends around here anyway. We hung out at Lithia Springs last night, in Granby or maybe South Hadley, I think it's right on the border. It was beautiful. We slept 3 feet from the water and we could probably fit 20 other hangers out there. We learned to look out for sap after ruining a couple tree straps though...

CountryRoads
10-12-2013, 10:27
Can you hang at/near the reservoir, or do you stay well hidden in the woods?

Just noticed all the questions about Lithia Springs. We hang right next to the water. The last time we went there it was trashed with beer cans, cigarette butts, and other paraphernalia that I won't mention on this family friendly forum. We carried out a couple bags with us but at one point we were both like, "we're not carrying any more out...we'll get it next time." I will say that when we got there yesterday someone had added to our efforts, we couldn't find a single piece of trash at our site. Yay for good samaritans! And like I said, it's on the boarder of Granby and South Hadley. If I can figure out how to get some pics off my phone, I'll post one.

CountryRoads

CountryRoads
10-13-2013, 16:29
I'm not super computer savvy and still figuring out windows 8. When I try to post a picture a box pops up and asks me for the url address. Do I just put C:/...? I guess I'll just try it.LithiaSprings2 (C:/Users/Chelsea/Downloads)

CountryRoads
10-13-2013, 16:30
Okay, that didn't work. Any suggestions...

JollyGreen
10-13-2013, 17:08

Get a Mac Chelsea

CountryRoads
10-13-2013, 17:12
Jolly, if I could afford one I would. I just bought a pc for $400. I think I'll invest in a nice TQ before a mac.

JoshuaTrees
10-13-2013, 19:07
Litha Springs pics courtesy of CountryRoads

CountryRoads
10-13-2013, 19:15
Thanks for posting those for me HanginTuff. Cosmic campers reflectix system came a little undone overnight. He's still asleep. And the second pic was from a month or so ago.

perrito
10-13-2013, 20:56

First you need to upload an image.
At the top of this page, click "User CP".
At the bottom on the left click "Your Photos & Albums"
On that page click "Upload"
Click one of the "Browse" buttons and navigate to the image you want to upload.
After it's uploaded and you see it in the "Your Photos & Albums" area, click on the thumbnail of your image to bring it up. Now right-click on it and select "Copy Image Location". This you will paste in the box asking you for a picture address.

Clear as mud? ;)

You can also use the "Manage Attachments" on the bottom of the reply page. I think this puts thumbnails of your images in your reply.

CountryRoads
10-14-2013, 08:06
Clear as mud. Thank you perrito.

guitargeek76
10-14-2013, 15:35
Litha Springs pics courtesy of CountryRoads

Wow. I think I need to head up there pronto. Looks like an awesome place to hang. Thanks for sharing!

CountryRoads
10-14-2013, 16:21
Wow. I think I need to head up there pronto. Looks like an awesome place to hang. Thanks for sharing!

Yeah it is. It's about a half a mile hike to get in and parking is an issue if you're staying overnight. We talked to a guy who has a little convenience store up the road and he lets us park behind his store. For a small group hang there we'd have to shuttle people over. This coming Saturday Cosmic and I are going to hike around the entire reservoir and see if there are some more sweet water hanging sites. We're not sure if we're allowed to camp there really, but there are no signs saying you can't; no signs saying "no fishing" either. There are signs that say you can't park at the entrance overnight though.

Sorry for using the winter hang thread to talk about this. We should start a western MA thread. If any western Mass folks want to join us you're welcome. I can't hang overnight Saturday though, but maybe some people could. Cosmic camper would be up for it I bet.

Nighthauk
10-15-2013, 08:00
Sorry for using the winter hang thread to talk about this. We should start a western MA thread.

Thank you for your consideration on this.

In concerns with the reserving the bigger building down below our campsite in January the bigger building is now reserved for us. So we have pretty much the whole side of the camp. I am posting up the map to the camp. When you look at it look for the "TO WILLIAMSBURG" sign in the lower right hand. That is the enterance to our side. You will see Upper andirondocks Great Rock and Warren Chase building. All that is ours.
http://www.wmascouting.org/camping/images/CSRMap09.pdf

Zilla
10-15-2013, 10:30
Thank you for your consideration on this.

In concerns with the reserving the bigger building down below our campsite in January the bigger building is now reserved for us. So we have pretty much the whole side of the camp. I am posting up the map to the camp. When you look at it look for the "TO WILLIAMSBURG" sign in the lower right hand. That is the enterance to our side. You will see Upper andirondocks Great Rock and Warren Chase building. All that is ours.
http://www.wmascouting.org/camping/images/CSRMap09.pdf

Thank you Nighthawk-You are the man!!!:thumbup::thumbup1::thumbup:

cosmic camper
10-15-2013, 12:10
Woohoo! Thanks Nighthauk... a full-size UQ purchase is starting to feel like the only reasonable thing to do :)

Yep - CountryRoads and I love Lithia! I love the idea of a Western MA hang spots thread... any idea where the best place for that would be? Seems like this area is reserved for specific trips!

CountryRoads
10-15-2013, 18:12
Hey I started a Western Massachusetts Hang spots thread for anyone who's interested so I will stop the divergence on this NEHHA thread. So check it out and maybe some of us can meet up for some weekend hangs.

Zilla
10-16-2013, 15:02
Absolutely we are doing another raffle!

Just got myself signed up on the ss, i not sure how you guys do it at this hang, is there gonna be a chance for people to contribute to the raffle, i did not see a colum for it on the ss? I am sure that i have a peice of gear or a knife or something nice to throw in the pot!

Nighthauk
10-16-2013, 15:10
That was an oversight. I will add it shortly.

1960HikerDude
10-17-2013, 18:14
Missed the last 2 hangs due to conflicting obligations. I can make this one. :D

SkyPainter
10-18-2013, 04:57
Missed the last 2 hangs due to conflicting obligations. I can make this one. :D

===> Glad to have ya, Dude!! Here, have a White Russian!

~ SkyPainter (The Dude Abides!)

Tripod
10-21-2013, 08:33
Hey guys, for some reason Nighthauk, Raffnuke, Skypainter and I have been removed from the spreadsheet. Could be others but we were the obvious.

Nighthauk
10-21-2013, 08:36
I am running mobile right now so if someone would not mind adding us back in alteast just our names that would be awesome. Thanks.

For those of you that don't know. JPkeo has changed is his forum name to his trail name of Tripod.

hk2001
10-21-2013, 08:49
I see you all on the ss.. In the same spots as the printed version I have

Nighthauk
10-21-2013, 08:52
We were all there but some how we were deleted.

Suede
10-21-2013, 09:18
You were not deleted, the rows were hidden. I un-hid them.

Edit: I tried to unhide but I cannot figure out how to do that. You can see gaps in the row numbers i.e. 4-7. I am still trying to see what has happened.

JollyGreen
10-21-2013, 09:34
Yeah, I was on there too

Suede
10-21-2013, 09:35
Ok, this is fixed. Someone turned on a filter that was hiding those rows. Some pranksters among us possibly.

JollyGreen
10-21-2013, 09:40
Ok, this is fixed. Someone turned on a filter that was hiding those rows. Some pranksters among us possibly.

I'm still not there. At work so I can only look at the spreadsheet so I'll add myself again later.

hk2001
10-21-2013, 09:52
I'm still not there. At work so I can only look at the spreadsheet so I'll add myself again later.

I can see you, and NH, and Raif, etc.

I even cleared out my cache to make sure I'm not looking at an old version.

:mellow:

JollyGreen
10-21-2013, 10:15
I can see you, and NH, and Raif, etc.

I even cleared out my cache to make sure I'm not looking at an old version.

:mellow:

When I go to page 1 and the spreadsheet, I'm not there

JollyGreen
10-21-2013, 10:17
I count 38 in the # in party column but there's 41 for the total

hk2001
10-21-2013, 10:19
You're in row #13

I dunno, I'm looking at the SS on a chrome book, and an Android tablet.. maybe it's a google thing?

JollyGreen
10-21-2013, 10:21
Row 13 I'm looking at is Joe and Crystal, Stargaze and coffee bean

Tripod
10-21-2013, 10:29
Row 13 I'm looking at is Joe and Crystal, Stargaze and coffee bean

I have you in row 13 as well and I am back and modified.

Suede
10-21-2013, 10:43

You're there row 13

JollyGreen
10-21-2013, 11:27
You're there row 13
Must be something due to being at work, I can't update it either so I'll check it later, thanks

SkyPainter
10-21-2013, 18:55
===> I don't know about the spreadsheet, but I will either be on those two trees near the rick, or maybe by the stream up near the Firepit this year! Hehehe...,

~ SkyPainter

JollyGreen
10-21-2013, 21:28
Ok anyone help! I looked on 4? Different computers, chrome, safari and Firefox on each, cleaned my cache and I'm still not there.

Nighthauk
10-21-2013, 21:34
While you might not be able to see if Jolly Green i do see you there. Right on number 13. I wouldn't worry about it. Though if that doesn't sit well with you, you can enter your info again and we will erase the old one. Up to you. I will help any way that I can.

JollyGreen
10-21-2013, 21:56
While you might not be able to see if Jolly Green i do see you there. Right on number 13. I wouldn't worry about it. Though if that doesn't sit well with you, you can enter your info again and we will erase the old one. Up to you. I will help any way that I can.

I'm just wondering how this shows up on every computer I use, there is a line 13 but not me there

Tripod
10-22-2013, 07:33
I'm just wondering how this shows up on every computer I use, there is a line 13 but not me there

I don't have an explanation for this, but when I go to the Spreadsheet from Google Drive I see you at 13, but if you check the file revisions, under the file menu, at 7:21am yesterday you were on the list but at 7:30am you were off and remain off thru the rest of the revisions.
Joe

Suede
10-22-2013, 07:38

My guess is your company is caching web pages to reduce traffic.

McRat
10-22-2013, 07:56
It looks like Henry and I will be back among the NEHHA faithful.

We're looking forward to seeing everyone again.

JollyGreen
10-22-2013, 09:12
My guess is your company is caching web pages to reduce traffic.

Nope, I checked on my laptop and iPad at home last night, same thing

JollyGreen
10-22-2013, 09:13
I don't have an explanation for this, but when I go to the Spreadsheet from Google Drive I see you at 13, but if you check the file revisions, under the file menu, at 7:21am yesterday you were on the list but at 7:30am you were off and remain off thru the rest of the revisions.
Joe

So you're saying I'm still not there?

Nighthauk
10-22-2013, 09:18
I have come to the conclusion it just doesn't like you. 😉.

JollyGreen
10-22-2013, 09:29
I have come to the conclusion it just doesn't like you. 😉.
Must be Tim, it's weird though. Can you check it now for me?

hk2001
10-22-2013, 09:33
I see you.. still @ 13

Nighthauk
10-22-2013, 09:35

It hasn't changed. It still as everyone says. Number 13.

Suede
10-22-2013, 09:42
So you're saying I'm still not there?

Dude, you're THERE!

Someone was messing with the spreadsheet and filtered out a bunch of people's names. The easy way to check is if the row number is skipped i.e. 1,2,3,5.. then a filter is applied filtering out that row. Going to Data then Clear Filter will remove that.

You might want to download the spreadsheet (if your IT dept allows that) and look at that to make sure you're not viewing cached pages.

Zilla
10-22-2013, 09:47

I See you at the 13 spot as well, i am running firefox

Nighthauk
10-22-2013, 20:57
Hey jolly I have a present for you.

JollyGreen
10-22-2013, 21:30
We'll atom, I had Caveman in Texas look at it at work and another friend at work too plus I looked on my bosses computer without signing in and I'm not there. Could you be looking at the spreadsheet memory?

Nighthauk
10-22-2013, 21:50
How about now?

JollyGreen
10-22-2013, 21:55
How about now?

Ok LOL, thanks for adding me, that's weird how that happened.

Nighthauk
10-23-2013, 14:39
So I thought I would tease you a little with a video from last year. :D

I was also thinking of maybe name our winter hangs NEHHA's Nor' Easter hang. I really like the Great Pumpkin Hang. What do you think of "Copyrighting" them for the NEHHA Hangs?

BbcZu4cWnPc

Stargaze
10-23-2013, 14:51
If Jolly Green is #13, then how am i # 13 as well? Not that it matters to me i will be there no matter what the spread sheet says.

Nighthauk
10-23-2013, 14:55
I don't know. I just put JollyGreen in new last night. Everyone that I can tell are all in.

Zilla
10-23-2013, 15:02
So I thought I would tease you a little with a video from last year. :D

I was also thinking of maybe name our winter hangs NEHHA's Nor' Easter hang. I really like the Great Pumpkin Hang. What do you think of "Copyrighting" them for the NEHHA Hangs?

BbcZu4cWnPc

I Second the name change!

Tripod
10-23-2013, 15:23
I Second the name change!

Sounds good to me

raiffnuke
10-23-2013, 16:14
Well, alrighty then..

Nighthauk
10-23-2013, 16:23
Well, alrighty then..

What's your thoughts on this.

raiffnuke
10-23-2013, 16:43
What's your thoughts on this.

Look at the thread title. :D

Nighthauk
10-23-2013, 16:48
Well, alright then. :D

raiffnuke
10-23-2013, 16:51
Well, alright then. :D

Done and done! :D

Zilla
10-23-2013, 17:16
Done and done! :D

UH,OH Looks like raiffnuke is trying to steal the title-Super moderator !

JollyGreen
10-23-2013, 20:44
If Jolly Green is #13, then how am i # 13 as well? Not that it matters to me i will be there no matter what the spread sheet says.

See, I'm not crazy

SkyPainter
10-23-2013, 21:56
===> Nor'Easter and Great Pumpkin hangs sound great to me! And both hangs ARE great! The Chesterfield Scout Camp is perfect for the Nor'Easter, and if ~Reason~ and family agree, the beautiful land and Fall woods of NH are just perfect for the Fall hang!

~ SkyPainter - who will be bionic after tomorrow!