PDA

View Full Version : NJ>Batona Camp>7th Annual New Jersey Winter Hang>January 24th-26th, 2014

Pages : [1] 2

Iafte
10-01-2013, 09:11
Just a quick post to let everyone know we are in the process of planning the hang. Issue is the whole reservation system that they have put in place. We are looking at our options and should have something in the next few weeks on a location.

Looking towards seeing everyone again. :D

Calendar link. (https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/calendar.php?do=getinfo&e=160&day=2014-1-24)

Sign Up Sheet (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AuLOoUj1JWMAdHVaLTljakh0aDVJXy1uUHNMcmRFb FE&usp=sharing#gid=0)

Zilla
10-01-2013, 09:17
Where,when? do you have anymore info, i am gonna try and get my moneys worth outa my new uq, is this open for anybody?

Iafte
10-01-2013, 09:34
Where,when? do you have anymore info, i am gonna try and get my moneys worth outa my new uq, is this open for anybody?

When: January 24-26
Where: TBD (Normally we hold it at Batona Camp but due to changes in the reservation system we might have to move to a new location.)

Yes it's open to anyone.
Last years thread. (https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=57586)

Zilla
10-01-2013, 09:49
Its alittle ways off but put me on the maybe list for 2

JollyGreen
10-01-2013, 10:13
Its alittle ways off but put me on the maybe list for 2

When it becomes official there will be a sign up sheet that you fill in yourself.

silentorpheus
10-01-2013, 10:20
When it becomes official there will be a sign up sheet that you fill in yourself.

Have we ever had a sign up sheet for the NJ Winter Hang? I think you're giving Iafte way too much credit - he's not that organized. ;););)

Thanks for starting this, Bruce. I was going to PM you sometime this week to see what the plans were for this year - I'll shoot you one anyway, to discuss.

jhunt87
10-01-2013, 10:52
Good stuff. Looking forward to seeing everyone again. Thanks Bruce.

Cranky Bear
10-01-2013, 11:09
Awesome stuff Iafte...here's hopin I am physically able to go....

As always a big thanks to all whom help in organizing these hangs. I hope the new venue (possibly new) will be set up like Batona as I really liked that set up.

JollyGreen
10-01-2013, 11:17
Have we ever had a sign up sheet for the NJ Winter Hang? I think you're giving Iafte way too much credit - he's not that organized. ;););)

Thanks for starting this, Bruce. I was going to PM you sometime this week to see what the plans were for this year - I'll shoot you one anyway, to discuss.

Now that i think of it, I don't remember one. Maybe there should be??? Just curious, why would the new reservation system stop the hang from being there?

Iafte
10-01-2013, 11:21
Now that i think of it, I don't remember one. Maybe there should be??? Just curious, why would the new reservation system stop the hang from being there?

Since we normally just collect from those that show up and pay at the end of the weekend, it makes it easier than having everyone needing to stop at the ranger station. With the new system, We would need to have one person per site make a reservation. Last year we reserved the whole camp by one person. There is also fee's per site that were not there before.

We are looking into some options, I'll know more this weekend.

SilvrSurfr
10-01-2013, 12:37
Batona is now 13 sites, 12 of which have a 6 person capacity, one group site with 15 person capacity - so the total capacity went from 100-150 to 87 under the new "site-based" system. So to reserve the whole site through ReserveAmerica would be 13 sites x $12 plus 87 participants x $3 = $261. If we had 70 participants at the Winter Hang that would come out to $3.72 per hanger.

I haven't been using ReserveAmerica the last few times I went to the Pine Barrens. I just showed up at Batsto Village or Atsion, paid the $3 site fee and avoided getting gouged by ReserveAmerica. Of course, I had no guarantee that I would get a site at the camp I wanted, but I wasn't too worried about it because there were so few reservations appearing on ReserveAmerica.

Zilla
10-01-2013, 13:26

I looked over all 9 pages of last years thread before i posted my interest and they did not have a sheet, they just kept posting lists in the daily posts.

So i figured i would start by throwng my name in!!...;)

JollyGreen
10-01-2013, 13:36
Batona is now 13 sites, 12 of which have a 6 person capacity, one group site with 15 person capacity - so the total capacity went from 100-150 to 87 under the new "site-based" system. So to reserve the whole site through ReserveAmerica would be 13 sites x $12 plus 87 participants x $3 = $261. If we had 70 participants at the Winter Hang that would come out to $3.72 per hanger.

I haven't been using ReserveAmerica the last few times I went to the Pine Barrens. I just showed up at Batsto Village or Atsion, paid the $3 site fee and avoided getting gouged by ReserveAmerica. Of course, I had no guarantee that I would get a site at the camp I wanted, but I wasn't too worried about it because there were so few reservations appearing on ReserveAmerica.
Craig, would they check if everyone is a NJ resident? Otherwise it will be more for out of staters.

perrito
10-01-2013, 14:32
Craig, would they check if everyone is a NJ resident? Otherwise it will be more for out of staters.

I believe it's the reserver that has to be a state resident for the lower rate.

SilvrSurfr
10-01-2013, 14:37
My understanding is $3 for residents, $5 for non-residents, but I can't recall anyone asking me if I had non-residents in my party either through ReserveAmerica or walk-up.

G...Hawk
10-01-2013, 17:20
Love the NJWinterHang.

G

lazy river road
10-01-2013, 18:28
I Hope I Can Come I Hope I Can Come I Hope I Can Come!!! As I click my ruby red slippers toogether. Thanks for starting this and I'll be keeping my eye on this thread.

Deadphans
10-01-2013, 20:00
I am definitely in. This year I have the time and the gear to do it. I can not wait and have been looking forward to this.

Stalker
10-02-2013, 08:08
Pray for snow! Always more fun in the snow! Think 3 feet of snow will be too much or just enough? Discuss... :)

silentorpheus
10-02-2013, 15:09
Pray for snow! Always more fun in the snow! Think 3 feet of snow will be too much or just enough? Discuss... :)

And Stalker comes out of hiding for his semi-yearly post in the NJ Winter Hang thread. :cool:

And I'm all for snow. Plenty of it.

Deadphans
10-02-2013, 15:14
Bring the snow on!

Dylan
10-02-2013, 21:13
I've been waiting for this tread. It'd be a bummer to have to move it from Batona Camp. Is there any way to get an exception to the registration process? Anyone know the governor? Its an election year and no one has locked up the hammock vote yet.

Black Foot
10-03-2013, 09:32
Dan and I are hoping to be there. We are hoping for temperatures like last year to test out our new UQs :D

biggcarl
10-03-2013, 10:46
Finally have the gear to attend this.

I get back from my cruise on the 25th, guess I'll have to pack my gear before I leave.

fly back from the Caribbean then straight to the winter hang. Guess I'll bring bottles of rum.

Hope there is a flight to get me back in time.

Zilla
10-03-2013, 11:06

I get back from my cruise on the 25th, guess I'll have to pack my gear before I leave.

fly back from the Caribbean then straight to the winter hang. Guess I'll bring bottles of rum.

Are you talking about appleton estates :thumbup:

kayak karl
10-03-2013, 11:17
Are you talking about appleton estates rum, :thumbup:

there are no alcoholic beverages allowed to the Wharton Track. i would suggest refraining from ANY discussion of it on this thread.

Dutch
10-03-2013, 11:39
This thread is making me hungry.

kayak karl
10-03-2013, 11:51
Iafte makes me hungry when he posts on Facebook. Pics of everything he cooks on his grill. I keep bacon him to stop :)

fallkniven
10-03-2013, 17:48
...mmmm, bacon.

Cranky Bear
10-03-2013, 18:16
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh bacon......mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm........ bacon.......... bomb!!!!!!

jerzybears
10-03-2013, 18:19
Can't wait!! Hope it snows like the dickens and gets really COLD!!!!! :shades:

Gonna party like a PINEY!!!:laugh:

Pretbek
10-03-2013, 18:57
I hope that I can make this one too!
First to NEHHA winter hang as a warm-up (ehheh, eh hehe) and then this one. I will be a seasoned winter hammocker in no time! That, or I will become a photo model for frost bite and hypothermia. :)

SkyPainter
10-07-2013, 21:38
This thread is making me hungry.

===> Dutch....I have never eaten as much bacon as at this hang! Plus, AWESOME Venison dishes!

~ SkyPainter

JollyGreen
10-07-2013, 21:46
===> Dutch....I have never eaten as much bacon as at this hang! Plus, AWESOME Venison dishes!

~ SkyPainter

You can never eat too much bacon Sky

SkyPainter
10-07-2013, 21:58
You can never eat too much bacon Sky

===> You got that right! At the NJ Winter hang I was at, I made (with GREAT assistance from Jersey Bear Russ!) Figs stuffed with Walnuts and wrapped in Bacon. Bacon is a holy meat!

~ SkyPainter

Pretbek
10-07-2013, 22:23
Figs stuffed with Walnuts and wrapped in Bacon.

That sounds fantastic!
After all this food talk I believe I have even more incentive to come to this hang.

Bacon is a holy meat!

LOL Jewish people might disagree with you there. But I agree, everything is better with bacon.

JollyGreen
10-07-2013, 22:24
===> You got that right! At the NJ Winter hang I was at, I made (with GREAT assistance from Jersey Bear Russ!) Figs stuffed with Walnuts and wrapped in Bacon. Bacon is a holy meat!

~ SkyPainter

Bacon is the holy grail!

Knotty
10-07-2013, 22:46
Everything's better with bacon!

Wasn't it just 80° a couple days ago and now we're planning for what is usually the coldest weekend of the year? Bring it on.

Thanks Iafte.

SkyPainter
10-07-2013, 23:20
===> Okay....so the pain meds are kicking in again...WHERE is this hang again? I might be able to find Batona Camp again, maybe. Where we gonna be this year?

~ SkyPainter ~ Who loves this hang!

retired usn hanger 65
10-10-2013, 16:52
willing to go - count me in - weekend fri(morn) to (sun) afternoon.

Zilla
10-10-2013, 17:00
You gotta try- shrimp wrapped in bacon-dipped in bbq sause and thrown on the grill!, now i am hungry

kayak karl
10-14-2013, 21:40
Yes i know i should know, i collected the money, but how many were there last year???
Working with Batsto to make this happen :)

Oh, i also volunteered everybody to do a trash cleanup at the Carranza Memorial :lol:

SilvrSurfr
10-14-2013, 22:44
I've never seen any trash at the Carranza Memorial, so sure, I'll volunteer!

kayak karl
10-15-2013, 08:10
I've never seen any trash at the Carranza Memorial, so sure, I'll volunteer!
it's mostly in the parking lot behind memorial and two side roads :)

kayak karl
10-16-2013, 07:00
Yes i know i should know, i collected the money, but how many were there last year???
Working with Batsto to make this happen :)

Oh, i also volunteered everybody to do a trash cleanup at the Carranza Memorial :lol:
I'm guessing 45, maybe 50 this year. any other guesses for the park service???

Iafte
10-19-2013, 08:17
While we are waiting to hear about the site, lets have suggestions on the Coup de grâce de grub.

We are going back to the one winner format. 3 was too confusing.

njredneck
10-19-2013, 15:51
Anything and everything pig(Ribs,Ham,Pulled,BACON). Your best pork dishes.

TDHanger
10-20-2013, 17:01
Just got home from the Fall MAHHA had a great time it was my first. Dutch told about this winter hang and said it is also a great time soi I am subscribing to this thread and might come if I can get warmer gear by then

jtdad13
10-21-2013, 20:44
Went to my first hang this weekend with Knotty and the gang, had a blast! I live about 8 miles away from the Carranza memorial, needless to say,I will be there!

vagabound
10-21-2013, 23:40
trying to get an underquilt in time to go. this sounds like a good time, i hope ill be able to come.

Dylan
10-22-2013, 13:57
While we are waiting to hear about the site, lets have suggestions on the Coup de grâce de grub.

We are going back to the one winner format. 3 was too confusing.

Turn up the heat and let's go for hot and spicy this year! Or, in honor of Carranza, how about a Mexican theme?

SilvrSurfr
10-22-2013, 14:28
Turn up the heat and let's go for hot and spicy this year! Or, in honor of Carranza, how about a Mexican theme?

Me like either one! Carranza went down in flames - a spicy theme could cause intense morning-after competition for the facilities.

perrito
10-22-2013, 15:12
Mexican? Home Depot!

silentorpheus
10-22-2013, 17:37
Me like either one! Carranza went down in flames - a spicy theme could cause intense morning-after competition for the facilities.

Yeah, seriously. Like Stick, Iafte, and Stalker don't contribute to the methane quota enough every year - do we really want to give them more reason? :lol:

Cranky Bear
10-22-2013, 19:15
Might see some levitating hammocks this go round.....no one try and light their farts while the hammock...well without a camera going that is!

JollyGreen
10-22-2013, 21:33
Might see some levitating hammocks this go round.....no one try and light their farts while the hammock...well without a camera going that is!

Hey Yoda, you gonna make this one?

jmcglash
10-22-2013, 21:39
My son is ready but I need to make my self a hammock. This sounds like fun.

I know what my plan B will be. Last year we attended Operation Zero with the scouts so by all means please do bring on the snow. 7 degrees and sleeping in a quinzee was far warmer than I expected.

If all goes well we should be two for the hang.
Time to start getting all the cold weather gear ready. :D Yeay

Cranky Bear
10-23-2013, 07:24
Hey Yoda, you gonna make this one?

Sir I am hoping so...sooooooo sad that I missed this last set of hangs, but as of now my situation has not changed from our previous conversation..... so I can only hope that I am cleared by my Doc in time.....

JollyGreen
10-23-2013, 10:42
Sir I am hoping so...sooooooo sad that I missed this last set of hangs, but as of now my situation has not changed from our previous conversation..... so I can only hope that I am cleared by my Doc in time.....

Hopefully you can make it, and more importantly your health is good

Iafte
10-27-2013, 14:06
Just an FYI, we may need people to reserve sites for the weekend. We are still working on the details. We will post a link once we are sure we need help in reserving.

More to come soon.

Cranky Bear
10-27-2013, 14:19
Messed up my post sorry see below

Cranky Bear
10-27-2013, 14:21
Hopefully you can make it, and more importantly your health is good

Sorry I missed this (don't know how I did) ..... I hope so as well...thank you!

Zilla
10-27-2013, 14:35
Where exactly is this hang and what are the dates, i cannot find a sign up sheet anywhere?

SilvrSurfr
10-27-2013, 14:45
Where exactly is this hang and what are the dates, i cannot find a sign up sheet anywhere?

When: Jan 24-26, 2014
Where: Batona Camp (unless we have to move for some reason)
Signup Sheet: We've never had one before so why start now.

kayak karl
10-27-2013, 15:12
Where exactly is this hang and what are the dates, i cannot find a sign up sheet anywhere? the infamous MAP (http://goo.gl/maps/GsWQU). i put a placemark for Winter Hang.

nyhiker50
10-28-2013, 10:07
Don't you folks ever go anywhere else for these hangs? There's Waywayunda, High Point, Deleware Water Gap, Po Chuck and others. Just a suggestion. There are so many other places in New Jersey other than the Pine Barrens.

silentorpheus
10-28-2013, 10:14
Don't you folks ever go anywhere else for these hangs? There's Waywayunda, High Point, Deleware Water Gap, Po Chuck and others. Just a suggestion. There are so many other places in New Jersey other than the Pine Barrens.

The guys who started this hang live down in the Pine Barrens area. Since they throw the party, it only makes sense that they do it in their 'backyard', so to speak. This event has been in the Pine Barrens for 6 years running - why look to change what works? :confused:

If other people wanted to organize an event or events in other parts of the state, I'm sure that people might be interested. There was just a group hang in Stokes area the weekend of MAHHA - 20 or so people attended that one.

Dylan
10-28-2013, 10:33

Of course we do. You just missed a great hang at Stokes SF that many of us were at. This particular hang has traditionally been at Batona Camp in the Pines.

Bakeel
10-28-2013, 14:18
I am in for this and I may have some more tagging along. I am am going to cross post it to another forum I post on if that is ok with you Iafte.

fallkniven
10-28-2013, 15:09
There are so many other places in New Jersey other than the Pine Barrens.

The entire southern half of the state is nothing but pine barrens. And the north half is still just the rest of the pinelands. Where in NJ isn't predominately pine? I asking honestly, because I'd love to check it out.

For the most part, this is all I ever see ..

Iafte
10-29-2013, 09:56
I am in for this and I may have some more tagging along. I am am going to cross post it to another forum I post on if that is ok with you Iafte.
Let me figure out the reservations before posting on another site. Should know more by this time next week at the latest.

The reason we have been going here is it's easy access for cars (mostly) and there are plenty of trees. It makes some people who have never tried it before more comfortable because of the ability to bring more stuff for the cold and also allows people to bail if needed.

And yes, it's in my backyard. I travel enough for work, no need to travel when relaxing. :D

Iafte
10-29-2013, 09:59
The entire southern half of the state is nothing but pine barrens. And the north half is still just the rest of the pinelands. Where in NJ isn't predominately pine? I asking honestly, because I'd love to check it out.

Sometimes you see this:

kayak karl
10-29-2013, 19:34
Posting this from my hammock at Bass River:) These pines are my stomping grounds too. Learned to drive, shoot, camp, hike, party and other things here. Even Lenape High school.
Meet one more time with Ron (boss man) at Batsto Thursday afternoon. Will post how we will proceed with registration on November 1st. They have set up nice group sites at Hawkins and Goshen that would be easier, but with the blight there are not enough trees for us.
TY KK

Deadphans
10-29-2013, 20:24
Sometimes you see this:

Hopefully the flag and the snow :)

Dutch
10-29-2013, 20:31
Looking forward to some venison tenderloin again.

SkyPainter
10-30-2013, 16:44
Looking forward to some venison tenderloin again.

===> You and me, BOTH Dutch! Best Venison I have ever tasted were the smoked tenderloins wrapped in Bacon two years ago!

~ SkyPainter

Ratdog
10-30-2013, 22:33
Posting this from my hammock at Bass River:) These pines are my stomping grounds too. Learned to drive, shoot, camp, hike, party and other things here. Even Lenape High school.
Meet one more time with Ron (boss man) at Batsto Thursday afternoon. Will post how we will proceed with registration on November 1st. They have set up nice group sites at Hawkins and Goshen that would be easier, but with the blight there are not enough trees for us.
TY KK

The last group site at Goshen before the gate, Site C plus 15 & 16 might work?
(14 as a backup along with one of the other group sites) haven't been there in 2 months but I'm thinking it might work if needed. The blight is b*%#h, killed one of my hanging oaks this summer.

(Just celebrated our 30th yr reunion at LHS, but I missed it for trout fishing and hanging in Vermont...go Red & Grey)

If needed I can reserve a couple sites when the time comes.

kayak karl
10-31-2013, 18:10
The last group site at Goshen before the gate, Site C plus 15 & 16 might work?
(14 as a backup along with one of the other group sites) haven't been there in 2 months but I'm thinking it might work if needed. The blight is b*%#h, killed one of my hanging oaks this summer.

(Just celebrated our 30th yr reunion at LHS, but I missed it for trout fishing and hanging in Vermont...go Red & Grey)

If needed I can reserve a couple sites when the time comes.

just had 40th. do you think it could handle 50 people 25+ cars? i haven't seen it, put would go look monday.

Ratdog
10-31-2013, 18:20
just had 40th. do you think it could handle 50 people 25+ cars? i haven't seen it, put would go look monday.

Nope, would need all the group sites I think, parking maybe, 10+ in the one spot, 5 in another ...maybe I'll have to go test hang this weekend :D

nyhiker50
10-31-2013, 21:10

You have never gone through the Vernon Valley? How about over Po Chuck? Waywayunda? There are places that don't have any pine. They are mostly other woods.
If you go off trail you stand a chance of finding a quieter camp.

fallkniven
10-31-2013, 22:05
You have never gone through the Vernon Valley? How about over Po Chuck? Waywayunda? There are places that don't have any pine. They are mostly other woods.
If you go off trail you stand a chance of finding a quieter camp.

I had to look them up. They're practically in NY, way up by the border. I'm in the southern part of the state, so no, if I'm traveling that far to camp I'm leaving NJ all together

treywilly
11-03-2013, 04:23
I'd love to join, been looking to do a NJ Hammock Hang. What other places allows winter camping??

Pretbek
11-18-2013, 13:20
I will certainly be there and will most likely bring a +1: A colleague who -if he does indeed come along- would be pancaking it in stead of hanging.

Deadphans
11-18-2013, 17:46
I will certainly be there and will most likely bring a +1: A colleague who -if he does indeed come along- would be pancaking it in stead of hanging.

Bet ya after joining us, he'll change his mind ;)

kayak karl
11-18-2013, 20:15
LAST RESORT- 12 sites plus group would be $261 for 31 people 2 nights. he said they will not be counting heads, so we can go over. the problem is we need 11 more people to rent sites.

I will rent site #1 and will put Kaia on it. if anyone is bringing a pet put them on my site.

When you reserve a site make it for "JUST 2 people and 2 vehicles."
Go to http://www.reserveamerica.com/, Batona Camp for 1/24/14 and 1/25/14
E-mail me your name and Site# [email protected]
We will reimburse the extra person (if you are one person) and the $9.25 from the money collected at camp.

P.S. Don't worry which site you reserve. you do not need to camp at it.

Karl

Pretbek
11-20-2013, 13:25
LAST RESORT- 12 sites plus group would be $261 for 31 people 2 nights. he said they will not be counting heads, so we can go over. the problem is we need 11 more people to rent sites.

I will rent site #1 and will put Kaia on it. if anyone is bringing a pet put them on my site.

We will reimburse the extra person (if you are one person) and the $9.25 from the money collected at camp.

Karl

Karl, either this site is not clear to me, or the features that I need don't work on my oldish office PC.

Where from the home page do I go to make reservations at Batona Camp? A search on Batona does not find anything.
Perhaps I should make an account first?

silentorpheus
11-20-2013, 13:31
Karl, either this site is not clear to me, or the features that I need don't work on my oldish office PC.

Where from the home page do I go to make reservations at Batona Camp? A search on Batona does not find anything.
Perhaps I should make an account first?

Try This Link (http://www.reserveamerica.com/camping/Wharton_State_Forest/r/campgroundDetails.do?contractCode=NJ&parkId=670056&topTabIndex=CampingSpot) instead. It takes you directly to the Wharton State Forest group of sites.

Otherwise, you need to search from the homepage for Wharton State Forest.

Bakeel
11-20-2013, 16:08
I reserved site 3, bring on the cold!

fallkniven
11-20-2013, 16:21
Karl, so you'll be collecting the money and taking it all to them like last time? If I reserve a site, I don't need to go to the ranger station for anything?

kayak karl
11-20-2013, 17:31
I will collect the money, but it will be to reimburse the members that helped reserve the 13 sites. NO BODY will need to go to the ranger station. I will pick up all reservations.

kayak karl
11-20-2013, 17:46
I reserved site 3, bring on the cold!
TY Sites #1 and #3 down. 10 more to go.

Pretbek
11-20-2013, 18:16
I just got site 2.

Pretbek
11-20-2013, 18:18
Bet ya after joining us, he'll change his mind ;)

After hanging out with you crazy people maybe *I* will change my mind about being there! :D

SilvrSurfr
11-20-2013, 18:23
I just got site 2.

How did you figure the website out? Did you tell Google Chrome to translate the site to Dutch? :)

kayak karl
11-20-2013, 18:26
How did you figure the website out? Did you tell Google Chrome to translate the site to Dutch? :)
i was just on it with Firefox, no problem. you do need to scroll down below notice info part. if no other pets ill reserve #1 this weekend.

kayak karl
11-20-2013, 18:28
I just got site 2.
TY 1,2,3 down. 9 to go.

SkyPainter
11-21-2013, 00:15
===> I just reserved Batona site B004 for two nights, two people, two cars, although I will probably be arriving alone.

LOVE. THIS. HANG!

~ SkyPainter

SkyPainter
11-21-2013, 00:24
I will collect the money, but it will be to reimburse the members that helped reserve the 13 sites. NO BODY will need to go to the ranger station. I will pick up all reservations.

===> Hey Karl! Thanks! I just reserved site 4, for two people, 2 cars. But if I can't make it for any reason, I will still keep the reservation, and send you the money, so other folks have a place to hang!

Can't wait!

~ SkyPainter

kayak karl
11-21-2013, 06:42
===> Hey Karl! Thanks! I just reserved site 4, for two people, 2 cars. But if I can't make it for any reason, I will still keep the reservation, and send you the money, so other folks have a place to hang!

Can't wait!

~ SkyPainter
if you reserved the site you already paid Right??

Pretbek
11-21-2013, 08:39

No, we don't want to distract Dutch from the titanium and the traditional morning pancakes now, do we?
I asked Chrome to translate to me. Which it did. Which is how I figured it out.

Dutch
11-21-2013, 08:50

Why would chrome translate it to me?:)

Nighthauk
11-21-2013, 10:24
When you guys have all the information when and where, if you don't already, let me know so that I can fix the title to reflect that formation, if you want.

silentorpheus
11-21-2013, 10:48
When you guys have all the information when and where, if you don't already, let me know so that I can fix the title to reflect that formation, if you want.

Nighthauk,

Since we're already having people reserve sites, I think it's safe to say that Batona Camp is a go. And the date is already set. So this should be the mostly official info. :thumbup: We can let Iafte be the final word, but since he doesn't check in all that often:

7th Annual New Jersey Winter Hang
January 24th - 26th, 2014
Batona Camp, NJ Pine Barrens

Or, to follow the normal naming protocol:

NJ>Batona Camp>7th Annual New Jersey Winter Hang>January 24th-26th, 2014

Nighthauk
11-21-2013, 10:50
Nighthauk,

Since we're already having people reserve sites, I think it's safe to say that Batona Camp is a go. And the date is already set. So this should be the mostly official info. :thumbup: We can let Iafte be the final word, but since he doesn't check in all that often:

Perfect. I will putt it up. Thanks. I wish I could make it myself except Jan. is jammed. You guys have fun though.

SkyPainter
11-21-2013, 13:14

Can't wait!

~ SkyPainter

====> Duh. I already paid for site 4 through the Reserve America site. I am Maroon. Still can't wait!

What is the Coup de Grub item this time??

~ Sky

Iafte
11-22-2013, 10:43

Karl
Group Site is reserved.

Nighthauk,

Thanks

Perfect. I will putt it up. Thanks. I wish I could make it myself except Jan. is jammed. You guys have fun though.

Thanks.

====> Duh. I already paid for site 4 through the Reserve America site. I am Maroon. Still can't wait!

What is the Coup de Grub item this time??

~ Sky

We are going to just go with an open format this year. 1st 2nd and 3rd place winners.

Pretbek
11-22-2013, 12:21
the infamous MAP (http://goo.gl/maps/GsWQU). i put a placemark for Winter Hang.

The map is very helpful, but I am completely unfamiliar with this area. Is this a hike-in and if so, where do we leave the car? Or can we just drive up to the camp? :confused:

SilvrSurfr
11-22-2013, 12:52
The map is very helpful, but I am completely unfamiliar with this area. Is this a hike-in and if so, where do we leave the car? Or can we just drive up to the camp? :confused:

It's drive-in. Just stay on the road and watch out for sugar sand - i got stuck in that once.

silentorpheus
11-22-2013, 13:08

What SilvrSurfr said.

You'll be on Fellowship road, and pass the Carranza memorial on your right. Directly after that there's a turn off on your left. You follow that back through the woods a few hundred yards (maybe more) and it drops you in camp.

Depending on how the rangers are feeling, we may have to put the bulk of the cars in a designated spot for the weekend.

kayak karl
11-22-2013, 19:11
We still need to reserve 8 more sites.

1 thru 4 and Group A are done.

njredneck
11-23-2013, 07:41
#5 is reserved

kayak karl
11-23-2013, 07:49
#5 is reserved
TY. 7 More :)

kayak karl
11-23-2013, 18:05
...........bump!

Iafte
11-26-2013, 11:13
Just want to bump this so people can help out with renting a site.

Dylan
11-27-2013, 14:45
I tried to reserve #6 and got #9. Anyway I got one.

Did anyone decide on any kind of theme for the Coup de Grub?

Pretbek
11-27-2013, 16:11

Did you hold your laptop upside down when you made the reservation?

kayak karl
11-27-2013, 17:08

TY 6 More to go. that's a 6 not a 9 :)

kayak karl
11-27-2013, 17:09
Anybody else bringing a pet. ???????

Dylan
11-28-2013, 07:30
Did you hold your laptop upside down when you made the reservation?

I used my smart phone to do it. The screen may have flipped :), but I think the actual culprit was the tiny text plus too much chemical exposure in my youth.

kayak karl
11-28-2013, 22:01
Bump....................

Pretbek
11-29-2013, 00:15
Are there really still a bunch of people holding off on reserving a site, or has everyone who is coming gotten a site already?

Dutch
11-29-2013, 00:21
I want to come. I didn't read the whole 100+ thread. Do I have to reserve a site? Can someone direct me to the post that gives instructions. Maybe put them in the first post.

Ratdog
11-29-2013, 01:16
I'll reserve one in the next couple of days.
Not sure if I'm bringing my dogs.

Dylan
11-29-2013, 07:39
I want to come. I didn't read the whole 100+ thread. Do I have to reserve a site? Can someone direct me to the post that gives instructions. Maybe put them in the first post.

We just need to reserve all 13 sites. Hold off a bit for more NJ residents first, cheaper that way.

Pretbek
11-29-2013, 08:18

I used the link by silentorpheus in post 87.

Putting all pertinent information in the first post of the thread is a good idea.

kayak karl
11-29-2013, 08:42
We have 6 more to go. Sooner the better so i can wrap this up. Santa gigs you know :).

Let NJ people reserve. $3 compared to $5. For pets it's $5 per night each and all paperwork must be with you and up-to-date.

Once sites are reserved others can just pay when they get there as we have done in past years.

This is the first year with system and they refuse to make exceptions or changes. For next year it may be simpler.

The rangers have agreed not to count heads :) They are very happy with us doing a cleanup. We are referred to the "Crazy tree people", in an endearing way :)

silentorpheus
11-29-2013, 08:46
Here's the direct link again. Just choose 'Batona' under Loop.

http://www.reserveamerica.com/camping/Wharton_State_Forest/r/campgroundDetails.do?contractCode=NJ&parkId=670056&topTabIndex=CampingSpot

I'll reserve a site before I hit the trails today. :thumbup:

kayak karl
12-01-2013, 18:56
we still need 6 more sites reserved.

jerzybears
12-01-2013, 19:00
Just ordered a site for the hang

kayak karl
12-01-2013, 19:10
Just ordered a site for the hang
what # and TY

jerzybears
12-01-2013, 19:25
The site they gave me is B0001

kayak karl
12-01-2013, 19:37
The site they gave me is B0001
i took 12 then.

4 More To Go

NJTroutstalker
12-01-2013, 21:18
Question to my jersey brethren. Are your group hangs usually newbie friendly?

I can't make a January hang, as it's steelhead season, so with limited time I gotta chase chrome!

But I'd love to bring my 6 year old and come learn and observe in the spring. I'm kind of in a conundrum, as a self admitted gear *****, I don't want to go all full bore and buy a bunch of stuff I don't understand yet.

Is this the kind of thing where you'd let a newbie like me come and kick your hammock tires so to speak?

Probably the first time I'd ground dwell, but I'll have a hammock for me to play with.

fallkniven
12-01-2013, 22:12
Question to my jersey brethren. Are your group hangs usually newbie friendly?

I can't make a January hang, as it's steelhead season, so with limited time I gotta chase chrome!

But I'd love to bring my 6 year old and come learn and observe in the spring. I'm kind of in a conundrum, as a self admitted gear *****, I don't want to go all full bore and buy a bunch of stuff I don't understand yet.

Is this the kind of thing where you'd let a newbie like me come and kick your hammock tires so to speak?

Probably the first time I'd ground dwell, but I'll have a hammock for me to play with.

You can always just stop by for an hour to check out everyone's setup. You can drive right up to the campsite. It's family friendly.

fallkniven
12-01-2013, 22:14
I reserved site #6

kayak karl
12-01-2013, 22:52
I reserved site #6
TY

Still 4 to go (must of reserved right before i counted)

joizee camper
12-02-2013, 18:29
I have reserved site 7.

-Bob

kayak karl
12-02-2013, 18:39
I have reserved site 7.

-Bob
Thank You

We only have 3 more to go

silentorpheus
12-02-2013, 19:39
I just grabbed Site 8.

2 left :D

kayak karl
12-02-2013, 19:49
I just grabbed Site 8.

2 left :D

Snake eyes :) almost done. TY

Ratdog
12-02-2013, 20:25
Site 11, reserved pm'ing details

kayak karl
12-02-2013, 20:35
One left.
uno
un
eins
um
isa
en
een
unu
jedan
vienas
ONE:D

mrcheviot
12-02-2013, 20:37
Think my wife and I will be attending, can reserve a site if needed but we're NY residents, extra cost is small and would prefer to help secure whatever is necessary. Currently only showing site 10 as avail for 1/24 for 2 nights.. LMK.

Edit 2 nights 2 people 2 cars = 29.25 for non NJ resident. I'm okay with that, just making sure KK/? Are all right with it..

kayak karl
12-02-2013, 20:55
Think my wife and I will be attending, can reserve a site if needed but we're NY residents, extra cost is small and would prefer to help secure whatever is necessary. Currently only showing site 10 as avail for 1/24 for 2 nights.. LMK.

Edit 2 nights 2 people 2 cars = 29.25 for non NJ resident. I'm okay with that, just making sure KK/? Are all right with it..
it's fine with me. if you want to wait a day or two to see if a Jersey person grabs it. either way im fine with it. :)

mrcheviot
12-02-2013, 20:57
I'll hold off for a few hours, will check back before I head to bed..

SoundWitness
12-02-2013, 21:50
I reserved Site 10. Looking forward to this hang. Missed the last 2 or 3 years due to work.

kayak karl
12-02-2013, 22:04
Thank Yous All :)

Please resume discussion of FOOD :D

http://img.geocaching.com/track/large/9af5d049-ec41-495d-a41a-e4dc097d5673.jpg

Deadphans
12-03-2013, 19:39
I am in for this hang. When I get my computer back (has a boo boo) I will read more on details and costs. Just too tough to go through it all on my small 7" tablet.

mattyoc20
12-03-2013, 19:46
Looking forward to this, is there a sign up sheet. I could have swore that i had my name on a spreadsheet for this a couple months ago but i could be mistaking. Got the 0* burrow/incubator ready to test out, as well as a travel sock from warbonnet.

Cranky Bear
12-03-2013, 20:05
I so hope I am physically able to make this hang.

SoundWitness
12-03-2013, 20:56
Looking forward to this, is there a sign up sheet. I could have swore that i had my name on a spreadsheet for this a couple months ago but i could be mistaking. Got the 0* burrow/incubator ready to test out, as well as a travel sock from warbonnet.

No sign up sheet...but a list of those planning to attend will be posted as the event nears.

JollyGreen
12-03-2013, 22:03
I so hope I am physically able to make this hang.

I hope so too bud

Cranky Bear
12-04-2013, 07:04
I hope so too bud

Thanks man, I got high hopes but its not looking too good atm...

treywilly
12-04-2013, 07:14
This sounds like a blast, can I join you guys???

Ratdog
12-04-2013, 08:35
All are welcome

Iafte
12-05-2013, 16:29

Link (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AuLOoUj1JWMAdHVaLTljakh0aDVJXy1uUHNMcmRFb FE&usp=sharing)

silentorpheus
12-05-2013, 16:31

Link (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AuLOoUj1JWMAdHVaLTljakh0aDVJXy1uUHNMcmRFb FE&usp=sharing)

It doesn't appear to be editable by others as yet.

Iafte
12-05-2013, 16:42
It doesn't appear to be editable by others as yet.

Try now. Was working on it.

Cranky Bear
12-05-2013, 16:43
Try now. Was working on it.

It works now. Before it was view only.

njredneck
12-05-2013, 16:46
Just signed up. Me and my 2 boys as long as its not actively snowing, then work may call. So I'm wishing for lots of snow 2-3 days before the hang.

brooklynkayak
12-05-2013, 18:42
Re: "All are welcome"

Does that include me?
I don't know if I'd want to go to a hang that allowed the likes of me:-)
(Like the Groucho Marx quote)

SilvrSurfr
12-05-2013, 18:53

Three measly columns? This simply won't do! We need some nonsensical columns like "Distance you prefer between trees." Can somebody get on this ASAP?

silentorpheus
12-05-2013, 19:13
Three measly columns? This simply won't do! We need some nonsensical columns like "Distance you prefer between trees." Can somebody get on this ASAP?

All fixed. :D

SilvrSurfr
12-05-2013, 19:22
All fixed. :D

That's more like it.:lol:

silentorpheus
12-05-2013, 19:22
That's more like it.:lol:

Well that just got silly quickly, didn't it?

mattyoc20
12-05-2013, 19:47
no love for silvrsurfr on the spreadsheet

kayak karl
12-05-2013, 20:05
Well that just got silly quickly, didn't it?
as silly as a Hennesy Hammock giving birth to a Scottish Pirate :scared:

SoundWitness
12-05-2013, 20:30
as silly as a Hennesy Hammock giving birth to a Scottish Pirate :scared:

Now that there is a sight in person to behold. :lol:

Iafte
12-06-2013, 09:08
Now that the reservations are taken care of, on to the important stuff. :D

4th Annual Winter Hang Coup de grâce de grub.

We are going to go back to the basics this year with a twist. Normally when I go hiking with my friends, we all try to bring that one item that makes everyone drool around the fire. Normally you just do something for yourself so the others are jealous. But since everyone else will be voting, try to make enough for everyone to try.

Rules: Can be made Friday or Saturday. Voting will be held after dinner on Saturday and the winner will be announced at the fire Saturday night.

New Rule: Has to be made at camp. Since we normally do this while hiking, we carry all the ingredients with us until it's time to pull it out. So this year I'm thinking we apply this rule to make it more interesting. Example- If you are making a soup, you can bring everything chopped up but must assemble it on site. No precooking.

I know this makes it a little tougher for some dishes to be made, but we want a challenge.

Winner will get their name added to the apron and a trophy of some type. I have not ordered it yet, so it's still a mystery to me. :D

Good luck. Lets see how creative people get. :thumbup:

Stalker
12-06-2013, 11:57
There are now individual fire rings at each site now so our huge bonfire will be a little smaller this year. The group A site does have a larger ring than the other sites so we will be seeing how much wood can a fire ring hold if a fire ring could hold wood. :) Here's some interesting reading also... http://www.buzzfeed.com/peggy/essential-winter-camping-hacks

Pretbek
12-06-2013, 13:42
There are now individual fire rings at each site now so our huge bonfire will be a little smaller this year. The group A site does have a larger ring than the other sites so we will be seeing how much wood can a fire ring hold if a fire ring could hold wood. :) Here's some interesting reading also... http://www.buzzfeed.com/peggy/essential-winter-camping-hacks

I like the PJCB and alu foil "candle". 15 minutes, eh? Gotta test that now.

SilvrSurfr
12-06-2013, 22:00

Nice article. And it's 27 pages shorter than Doctari's advice on winter hanging from the Mt. Rogers Winter Hang thread!

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=77959

SilvrSurfr
12-06-2013, 23:03
I was thinking about if it snows this hang. Not one of you four-wheel driving Pineys have a plow you can hook up to yer 4X4? Plow them roads!

A plow would make quick work of creating snofas and lovesleets.

Ratdog
12-07-2013, 01:07
Plow?
Nope.
But we could tie a rope to an old couch and drag it around behind the truck.
If folks ride on the couch, that'd be doin it piney-style.

kayak karl
12-07-2013, 07:46
Somebody could plow Carrenza Rd, but no plow on the sand roads or in camp. Sorry.

SkyPainter
12-07-2013, 10:56
===> Well, if driving in to the campsites, try to keep in the tire wipes of the previous vehicle. That will eventually compact the snow enough to make a sort of 'track' like for cross country skiing. Since vehicles have different wheelbases, it will get wide enough for most vehicles, and lead you right into camp! Works pretty well!

~ SkyPainter

Ratdog
12-07-2013, 12:02
If needed, we can use the lot at the memorial.
But there will be enough trucks and towstraps to get everyone in and out.
No worries.

Bakeel
12-13-2013, 13:08
Just ordered a top quilt from UGQ a 0* flight jacket. I am excited to use it at the camp out.

JollyGreen
12-13-2013, 14:20
Just ordered a top quilt from UGQ a 0* flight jacket. I am excited to use it at the camp out.

I would go to UGQ website and look at their order status, there is a million orders on there from the 13th and I don't see yours. Not sure you'll have it in time for the hang but you could call Paul and he could give you an idea on shipping.

Bakeel
12-13-2013, 16:17
I would go to UGQ website and look at their order status, there is a million orders on there from the 13th and I don't see yours. Not sure you'll have it in time for the hang but you could call Paul and he could give you an idea on shipping.

I am only being hopeful. If I have it that would be great if not I just have to go into the cold again to test it when it arrives. I can dream though. Lol

Iafte
12-17-2013, 11:35
Let's hope all this cold weather and snow we have been getting sticks around and we don't end up with a 50 deg weekend.

joizee camper
12-17-2013, 15:18
If I remember right, didn't it get down to 5 degrees on the coldest night last year? I think someone reported 3 degrees too. That night was the coldest I've taken my gear. Lets hope for colder!:D

-Bob

silentorpheus
12-17-2013, 15:22
If I remember right, didn't it get down to 5 degrees on the coldest night last year? I think someone reported 3 degrees too. That night was the coldest I've taken my gear. Lets hope for colder!:D

-Bob

The low I got was either 2˚ or 3˚.

Can't remember which. Either way, it never got above 20˚ on Saturday, even in the middle of the day.

Bakeel
12-17-2013, 16:34
Cold with snow would be great.

Iafte
12-17-2013, 17:05
Last year we had a few reports of 0, with one in the neg. on Saturday night. Friday night got down to 3 or 4.

Pro Vagabond
12-18-2013, 12:19
I'm hoping to make it, but I'm not sure I can take it that cold. I'll be doing some testing over the next couple weeks to find out.

:)

Ratdog
12-18-2013, 12:55
I'm hoping to make it, but I'm not sure I can take it that cold. I'll be doing some testing over the next couple weeks to find out.

Testing is a great idea, best way to understand what you have and how it works.

Because this is car camping, bringing extra blankets and sleeping bags is easy and can solve most of the common issues of CBS or just plain being cold.

Should anyone want to come but have serious concerns about the temps, feel free to reach out to the community. Plenty of folks will have extra gear or can plan on bringing extra if anyone asks.

SoundWitness
12-20-2013, 16:26
Let's hope all this cold weather and snow we have been getting sticks around and we don't end up with a 50 deg weekend.

How about 64 on Saturday and 70 on Sunday..........
:(

JollyGreen
12-20-2013, 16:50
i'm hoping to make it, but i'm not sure i can take it that cold. I'll be doing some testing over the next couple weeks to find out.

501 501 501

Pretbek
12-20-2013, 19:26
How about 64 on Saturday and 70 on Sunday..........
:(

Yeah, to get those shenanigans out of the way, so we can have appropriately low temperatures during the hang.

kayak karl
12-24-2013, 11:17
any points for food creativity this year??

this way year 5 :)

Dylan
12-24-2013, 11:25
In support of an unofficial Mexican theme, I'll just say I will be more likely to give my votes to dishes with a Mexican flair this year.:drool:

If you can somehow incorporate a fiery plane crash into the presentation, you will definitely get my vote. :lol:

lazy river road
12-24-2013, 12:00
Me and Cranky Bear (a.k.a. Yoda) Reading through this thread sitting on my couch hoping we can go!!!! He has the time off from work I just hope I can get the time of from the wife and kids :)

SilvrSurfr
12-24-2013, 13:04
Me and Cranky Bear (a.k.a. Yoda) Reading through this thread sitting on my couch hoping we can go!!!! He has the time off from work I just hope I can get the time of from the wife and kids :)

Wouldn't be the same without you.

Oh-No
12-24-2013, 17:02

If you two need a Dr's note. I can create a couple.

Cranky Bear
12-24-2013, 20:15
If you two need a Dr's note. I can create a couple.

You my friend are awesome, although I may have to take you up on your offer....Will know more this Friday as I have another doctors appointment.

Dutch
12-24-2013, 20:27
I am really looking forward to this. I enjoyed the previous years and all the venison tenderloin. It will be my third week in a row at a hang so I am risking divorce but I have a back up plan if it comes to that anyhow.

SkyPainter
12-25-2013, 01:05

this way year 5 :)

===> As I recall, the little hotdog guy in the bacon hammock and tarp were also delicious!

~ SkyPainter

MML
12-28-2013, 19:32
Hey Lazy River:
You can have your family at the hang!!!
Ill be at the hang. So if Yoda can make it, Yoda and I will pretend to be your family. You can treat us like your kids!!!

Cranky Bear
12-28-2013, 20:13
Hey Lazy River:
Ill be at the hang. So if Yoda can make it, Yoda and I will pretend to be your family. You can treat us like your kids!!!

Ahahaha now thats funny right there, I don't care who you are....

Dylan
12-28-2013, 21:37
Hey Lazy River:

I think Yoda fills more of a Mrs. LRR role than as one of the kids. Have you ever seen them argue? Think: old married couple. :lol:

Cranky Bear
12-28-2013, 21:42
I think Yoda fills more of a Mrs. LRR role than as one of the kids. Have you ever seen them argue? Think: old married couple. :lol:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

This is by far the funniest thing I've ever read......

sweetbabyd
12-29-2013, 19:08
hey!!! i can't wait to see you guys!! i was off the forums for a while, was selling our house, bought a house, had two knee surgeries in less that a year...oh yeah, me and my mister got an AWESOME little dog! might bring her or if it's not too cold. she just might visit when my mister brings pizza. might have to tent with the little beast, or as Ferret said, she might make an excellent hammock heater! are Peg and Russ coming?!?!

SkyPainter
12-29-2013, 19:13
hey!!! i can't wait to see you guys!! i was off the forums for a while, was selling our house, bought a house, had two knee surgeries in less that a year...oh yeah, me and my mister got an AWESOME little dog! might bring her or if it's not too cold. she just might visit when my mister brings pizza. might have to tent with the little beast, or as Ferret said, she might make an excellent hammock heater! are Peg and Russ coming?!?!

===> Peg And Russ wool be there! Love my Jersey Bears!

~ SkyPainter

sweetbabyd
12-29-2013, 19:17
===> Peg And Russ wool be there! Love my Jersey Bears!

~ SkyPainter

YESSSSS!!! :lol:

lazy river road
12-30-2013, 11:23

HAHA Yeah but he just ain't as cute as the Mrs.

Man I can't wait till Friday nights fire so I can bust out with all the jokes running through my head right now that if posted will surely break HF TOS.

Sweetbabyd can't wait to hang out with ya and super cited for some Saturday afternoon pizza.

Jerzy Bears well its alway good laughs with you two around.

I wonder if Iafte is getting Grand Trunk to donate to the raffle again. Hope so

Iafte
01-06-2014, 13:29
HAHA Yeah but he just ain't as cute as the Mrs.

Man I can't wait till Friday nights fire so I can bust out with all the jokes running through my head right now that if posted will surely break HF TOS.

Sweetbabyd can't wait to hang out with ya and super cited for some Saturday afternoon pizza.

Jerzy Bears well its alway good laughs with you two around.

I wonder if Iafte is getting Grand Trunk to donate to the raffle again. Hope so

Nope, no swag from GT, just too busy to get anything together. So, donations for the raffle are welcome.

kayak karl
01-08-2014, 20:11
just bumping the signup sheet (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AuLOoUj1JWMAdHVaLTljakh0aDVJXy1uUHNMcmRFb FE&usp=sharing#gid=0)

silentorpheus
01-08-2014, 20:12
just bumping the signup sheet (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AuLOoUj1JWMAdHVaLTljakh0aDVJXy1uUHNMcmRFb FE&usp=sharing#gid=0)

I'll shoot a mod a PM, and ask if they can pin it to the first post in the thread. :cool:

EDIT: Link to sign up sheet is now in the first post

silentorpheus
01-08-2014, 20:21
Hopefully we'll get some snow to go with this cold.

camp43
01-09-2014, 11:29
I'm looking forward to finally getting out again. Hopefully I can make this. I'll try not to sleep through dinner this year.

jerzybears
01-09-2014, 19:58
This month is standardized testing for seniors so Russ and I will show up after work. Save us some trees!!

kayak karl
01-10-2014, 07:39
don't know if map was posted this year. MAP (http://goo.gl/maps/WQKE)

brooklynkayak
01-10-2014, 11:42
It turns out that I can't get out of a commitment I made a while back.
So I won't be able to make this one:-(

Cranky Bear
01-10-2014, 15:07
I removed my name from the list, atm I hurt as I just had two needles shoved into my spine, and I am not sure if I will have the strength physically to endure the drive. Hope you all have a great time, will miss seeing a whole bunch of you. I look forward to the trip report.

kayak karl
01-10-2014, 15:45
anyone doing a pre-hike????

JollyGreen
01-10-2014, 16:44
I removed my name from the list, atm I hurt as I just had two needles shoved into my spine, and I am not sure if I will have the strength physically to endure the drive. Hope you all have a great time, will miss seeing a whole bunch of you. I look forward to the trip report.

Well that sucks bud, hopefully you'll feel better. See you at MAHHA.

Cranky Bear
01-10-2014, 17:22
Well that sucks bud, hopefully you'll feel better. See you at MAHHA.

Thank Jolly, I'm a firm believer that everything happens for a reason...I may not know it at the time, but if I pay attention I will learn it. Some things are a struggle, I guess this will be one of those. I'm just thankful for the support team I have! Makes each day easier no matter how tough it may be.

Peace....and here's hoping I get to see everyone at a future hang!!!

lazy river road
01-10-2014, 17:59

Well then if your not going I'm boycotting count me out :rolleyes:. Well in actuality I was going to drive Yoda up but do to having twins boys whom are 7 months old, two dogs and a wife (I know lame excuse :rolleyes: JK) I will be unable to make it this year and had to bail. And as Yoda mentioned he's in no shape to make the drive alone. I'm supper bummed about it but I can't wait till my boys are old enough to hang with me. It is what it is and as Yoda said all things happen for a reason. Have fun y'all and cant wait to see pics and read trip report.

Cranky Bear
01-10-2014, 19:28
Well then if your not going I'm boycotting count me out :rolleyes:. Well in actuality I was going to drive Yoda up but do to having twins boys whom are 7 months old, two dogs and a wife (I know lame excuse :rolleyes: JK) I will be unable to make it this year and had to bail. And as Yoda mentioned he's in no shape to make the drive alone. I'm supper bummed about it but I can't wait till my boys are old enough to hang with me. It is what it is and as Yoda said all things happen for a reason. Have fun y'all and cant wait to see pics and read trip report.

Yea but bro...then two boys you got are two cute little excuses...them boys will make some fine trail buddies one day, no doubt about it bro!

silentorpheus
01-10-2014, 20:03

Come on, J, I went a couple years ago when my son was only 3 months old. ;) then again my wife nearly killed me ... And we didn't have twins. Haha!

Regardless, that stinks that you gents won't be able to make it this year - we'll miss you. But tend to your home front, and your health - there will be plenty more hangs and we'll see you around a fire before you know it.

Iafte
01-11-2014, 08:01

Sorry you won't be able to make it. You will be missed my friend.

Aww, I was going to make you your own bacon bomb. Guess I'll just feed it to the dog.

:D:lol:
Take care of the back man, there is always next year. :)

Black Foot
01-11-2014, 08:52
Aww, I was going to make you your own bacon bomb. Guess I'll just feed it to the dog.

Ummm...Woof?

silentorpheus
01-11-2014, 08:53
Ummm...Woof?

Hah! I was thinking the same thing. :) :)

Cranky Bear
01-11-2014, 11:23
Regardless, that stinks that you gents won't be able to make it this year - we'll miss you. But tend to your home front, and your health - there will be plenty more hangs and we'll see you around a fire before you know it.

Thanks guys, I know that I can speak for both LazyRiver and myself when I say that I/we have met some absolutely fantastic people from HF over the years and you two are at the top of that list.

So many great folks from all walks of life have have been instrumental to my comfort and enjoyment out in the piney woods, and it truly sucks that I will miss another hang.

AHHHHHHH crap man my own b-bomb.......dude you rock. Well that is one lucky dog I guess :laugh:. You know I tried to make my own last year for the family, and while it was good, it was nothing like yours, I bow to the bacon bomb master.

SilvrSurfr
01-11-2014, 19:31
My wife has no interest in hammock camping (or winter camping). However, she's an Italian who fancies herself a serious competitor for Iron Chef, so she might come for the potluck just to dazzle you with her cooking skills, then she'll drive home.

Will we have enough grills for her to work her magic? I lost all my grills to Hurricane Sandy, and I ain't buying any replacement till I'm back in my house.

SilvrSurfr
01-11-2014, 19:57
FYI - the 25th is my son's birthday (he'll be 15), so I look like a deadbeat dad for heading off to the Winter Hang on his birthday. That's why I'm trying to convince wife and son that the NJ Winter Hang is the place to be on his birthday.

If anyone has ideas on how to entice them into this idea, I'm listening.

SoundWitness
01-11-2014, 20:05
Convince them it would be a great family bonding experience.

And if they need a nudge, there's always...

SilvrSurfr
01-11-2014, 20:14
Convince them it would be a great family bonding experience.

And if they need a nudge, there's always...

Is there gonna be a poker game? My family has a genetic weakness in that area - like a moth to a flame. They'll go to the Arctic wilderness if they think they can fleece you out of your money in a card game.

Matter of fact, I'm gonna recommend she get a room in AC so she can come to the potluck, then retreat to a warm casino for the rest of the evening. She's a high roller - she gets her rooms for free.

jtdad13
01-11-2014, 22:37

Thats one bomb I'd sacrafice my body for!

MML
01-12-2014, 07:40

So if Lazy River isnt going and I get scared in the middle of the night, Who's hammock do I climb into? :laugh:

Maple
01-12-2014, 07:53
Cranky Bear and Lazy River Road... it won't be the same without you!
Congrats on your two little ones LRR. Guess I have been out of the loop lately.
Enjoy every moment with them as they will grow up before you know it.
And Cranky Bear, hope you return to full health quickly. Doesn't sound fun.

Iafte
01-13-2014, 14:28
My wife has no interest in hammock camping (or winter camping). However, she's an Italian who fancies herself a serious competitor for Iron Chef, so she might come for the potluck just to dazzle you with her cooking skills, then she'll drive home.

Will we have enough grills for her to work her magic? I lost all my grills to Hurricane Sandy, and I ain't buying any replacement till I'm back in my house.

I'll have my smoker with me but will be using it more like an oven. If she needs to cook something at around 350 I'll have her covered.

Remember, all entries must be put together at camp. no making it at home then bringing it and just warming it up. You can stage it(cut veggies, measure ingredients etc.) at home, just need to cook it on site.

Since I am not going to be tending to a smoker all day, I think I'll be joining whatever hike goes out on Saturday.

Also, If you reserved a site, make sure you bring your receipt with you so we can get all squared up.

I spent yesterday making sure I have everything to keep me and the boys warm at night. Next is figuring out other food for us for the weekend.

Cranky Bear
01-13-2014, 15:07
Cranky Bear and Lazy River Road... it won't be the same without you!
Congrats on your two little ones LRR. Guess I have been out of the loop lately.
Enjoy every moment with them as they will grow up before you know it.
And Cranky Bear, hope you return to full health quickly. Doesn't sound fun.

Ohhhh Maple, Maple, Maple you are such a sweet and wonderful person. Thank you very much, you will be especially missed (as well as your baking :laugh:). I will make it out there again, will just take some time.

kayak karl
01-14-2014, 08:59
ill have the propane bbg grill with me. can use that.

SkyPainter
01-14-2014, 16:10
===> Well, the legendary SkyMobile, AKA The Truck of Holding, is officially terminal. I will be trying to get a replacement vehicle in the next two weeks, so I can make this hang. Barely just made it back from the NEHHA Nor'Easter this past weekend! I reserved site #4 at Batona thru Reserve America, so if I can't get there, PLEASE someone use it! I plan to get there though, vehicle shopping is now in high gear!

~ SkyPainter

Bakeel
01-14-2014, 16:23
Odd question but if I brought the books and dice would anyone be up for a Dungeons and Dragons style game? I am planning on running a game in the woods closer to spring but want to try a test run to see how it works by fire and lantern light.

My train of thought instantly jumped to this when SkyPainter said truck of holding.

Dylan
01-14-2014, 16:31
Odd question but if I brought the books and dice would anyone be up for a Dungeons and Dragons style game? I am planning on running a game in the woods closer to spring but want to try a test run to see how it works by fire and lantern light.

My train of thought instantly jumped to this when SkyPainter said truck of holding.

I'd be in!

Red Cinema
01-14-2014, 20:30
This the sort of thing someone with an iffy schedule can pop into at the last minute?

Ratdog
01-14-2014, 20:49
This the sort of thing someone with an iffy schedule can pop into at the last minute?

Don't think I am stepping on anyone's toes when I say, sure, no worries.

Pretbek
01-14-2014, 22:00

My D&D playing experience has been with pencil, paper and imagination. And dice. Is that what you had in mind?

Ratdog
01-14-2014, 22:11
Hmmmm, deep in the woods, sittin around the campfire, sharpening an axe, eating grilled beast, drinking mugs of hot spiced beverage and speaking of quests. This could happen...

Red Cinema
01-14-2014, 22:48
Don't think I am stepping on anyone's toes when I say, sure, no worries.

Good to know. If I can drop in I'll chat in on list for more details. And it may be I know little bit about this here D&D game people been talkin' about. . .

SkyPainter
01-14-2014, 22:56
===> I have never played D&D. I own the ACTUAL Truck of Holding for camping! I have witnesses.....

~ SkyPainter

Bakeel
01-14-2014, 23:25
It is an old school D&D style system that is easy to pick and hit the ground running with. The system is conducive to large groups and lots of funny. I will bring all the stuff to run a game ( books, battle mat, dice etc etc.). Feel free to bring your own D&D dice if you have them.

kayak karl
01-16-2014, 09:02
Talked to Batsto :)

I will pick up all permits at 2pm Friday

FIRES - 4pm till 10am ONLY!— Fires are permitted only in stoves, fireplaces or firerings or in approved campstoves provided by the camper. Fires may be prohibited due to forest fire threat when prevailing conditions warrant this precaution.

Rules http://www.state.nj.us/dep/parksandforests/parks/camprules.html

App for That http://www.pocketranger.com/apps/nj/apps.php

Bakeel
01-16-2014, 12:16
Kayak Karl I may grab my permit early Friday. I am going to be getting to the site early. Unless I can go and set up with just my reservation America receipt.

Also I will have my new Underground Quilts TQ by then.

kayak karl
01-16-2014, 12:29
Kayak Karl I may grab my permit early Friday. I am going to be getting to the site early. Unless I can go and set up with just my reservation America receipt.

Also I will have my new Underground Quilts TQ by then.
setup is noon, permit in hand or not. they probably won't care as they know we have the whole camp. since i went through all this to pickup all, can we just leave it that way? they are not going to give you problems at all.

SilvrSurfr
01-16-2014, 12:42
anyone doing a pre-hike????

I'm thinking about it - either hiking from Buttonwood Hills or Batsto to Batona.

Bakeel
01-16-2014, 12:53
Will do kayak Karl, I followed up your PM with some info. No problem, I don't want to make waves.