PDA

View Full Version : Guylines on SpinnUL Tarps

Downhill Trucker
04-06-2009, 05:28
I've got a spinnul deluxe on the way. How are you all guying this out. Heard I dont need tensioners. Trying to figure the lightest system that will pitch quick.

Also, are you using skins or the stuffsack?

Finally, a starting length for the guylines? I do want to use one side as an awning occasionally.

Thanks for the advice. Cant wait to see this thing.

Cannibal
04-06-2009, 09:11
No tensioners needed, really. For line, I use either yellow mason line from Home Depot (http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100318177) or the Speer No-Tangle (http://www.speerhammocks.com/Products/Supplies.htm). Some report difficulties with the mason line tangling, but I've had pretty good luck with it as long as I wrap it before I stuff it.

I don't use either skins or a stuffsack. I just cram it down in the outer pocket of my pack so I can get to it quick if needed.

Guyline length...ummmmm, a lot? I haven't measured it recently, but I'd guess I probably have close to 7' to 10' of line at each point. Overkill. However, I like having the extra line if I want to do something funky with the tarp or just have the extra line for some other need around camp. It's light, so I really don't mind.

Hope it helps.

Counselor
04-06-2009, 21:32
I carry 10 feet of line on all sides.

I use the Kelty triptease line. Like cannibal said, no tensioners needed.

I currently use the stuff sack - when the weather is nice i just wrap the sides around the "ridgeline" making it fold up like it's in some snake skins.

You will LOVE the tarp.

toddkmiller
04-14-2009, 09:04
No tensioners needed, really. For line, I use either yellow mason line from Home Depot (http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100318177) or the Speer No-Tangle (http://www.speerhammocks.com/Products/Supplies.htm). Some report difficulties with the mason line tangling, but I've had pretty good luck with it as long as I wrap it before I stuff it.

I don't use either skins or a stuffsack. I just cram it down in the outer pocket of my pack so I can get to it quick if needed.

Guyline length...ummmmm, a lot? I haven't measured it recently, but I'd guess I probably have close to 7' to 10' of line at each point. Overkill. However, I like having the extra line if I want to do something funky with the tarp or just have the extra line for some other need around camp. It's light, so I really don't mind.

Hope it helps.

I recently purchased the same tarp and have yet to set it up (how sad is that??). I'd like to know if you guys use a single ridge-line with prussils to tension the tarp or do you tie a line from each end of the tarp? I have always used a single line but I am open to suggestions. ANy advantage or disadvantage to either setup other than the weight of the rope?

headchange4u
04-14-2009, 09:09
I've always used a separate piece for each end of the tarp but this weekend I made a single ridge line system for my tarps. Uses pussik loop with a couple extra wraps. I also used flag clips on the prussiks so the line could be easily moved to various tarps.

toddkmiller
04-14-2009, 09:17
I've always used a separate piece for each end of the tarp but this weekend I made a single ridge line system for my tarps. Uses pussik loop with a couple extra wraps. I also used flag clips on the prussiks so the line could be easily moved to various tarps.

That's what I have always used except I have a separate ridge line for each tarp stored in the stuff sack. I have two sons in the house that like to borrow my gear so this way I never end up in the woods wondering where my ridge line is. Thanks for the feedback.:cool:

Cannibal
04-14-2009, 09:43
I use the separate lines. Not for any real reason, it's just the way I've always done it.

Coffee
04-14-2009, 09:54
Another vote for seperate long ones. The one or two times in 10 you use it, it's great to have and worth the .1 oz.

There was a lot of talk a long time ago about running the ridgeline under the tarp. I can't remember the outcome but I think the cons came down to extra weight and wear on the bottom edge of the tarp.

If you probibly rig up a good compression knot to the ridgeline so you can slide the tarp back and forth without untieing. Not sure what would be gained.

Rockdawg69
04-14-2009, 11:53
Agree with separate lines on each end for the ridge line tie out, however suggest anything but 550 para cord. It stretches when wet.
On the matter of tensioners - generally not needed but I found in the high winds (up to 50mph gusts) on my AT trip a couple of weeks ago that having tensioners gave the tarp some room to flex in the wind. I think that may have helped with keeping the stakes in the ground. Otherwise the tarp is really tight and holds well without tensioners.

Cruiser161
04-14-2009, 12:24
How are you all guying this out. ...a starting length for the guylines? I do want to use one side as an awning occasionally.

Also, are you using skins or the stuffsack?

I have on the way a 12x10 in SpinnUL from Brian--should arrive tomorrow. I had Brian install the guylines--10' on the ridgeline and 6' on the other ties. He is using 2mm green line, precut and sealed with heat-shrink tubing (not sure exactly what that is, but it sounded cool). I will also use an awning when weather permits, and will carry additional line for that purpose. I don't plan to use skins nor a stuffsack (except for storage when not hiking). Instead I will keep the tarp folded in an outside pocket for quick hanging in wet weather, before I hang the hammock. Hope this helps. Have fun.

te-wa
04-14-2009, 12:53
like stated, i dont think tensioners are needed, but i use them anyway to reduce stress in times of gusts or high wind. it seems like it will really help ease the force applied to the giant sail that is my tarp.
6' lines on sides. 8' lines on ridge.

koaloha05
04-14-2009, 22:17
No tensioner needed. Brian builds a pretty bomb proof product.
~8 foot of AirCore at the tie outs. Almost weightless line and overkill for strength.

jofish
01-27-2010, 16:04
Most of you have said here that you don't use tensioners with your SpinnUL tarps. So what sorts of knots do you use to secure your tarp lines to your stakes?

Do you use an adjustable knot like a taughtline hitch or a two half hitches OR do you use something like a bowline?

angrysparrow
01-27-2010, 16:05
Most of you have said here that you don't use tensioners with your SpinnUL tarps. So what sorts of knots do you use to secure your tarp lines to your stakes?

Do you use an adjustable knot like a taughtline hitch or a two half hitches OR do you use something like a bowline?

A marlinspike hitch, using the stake as the spike, works very well.

BlackGoat
01-27-2010, 16:15
Has anyone ever had Brian add line locks to the tarp? Like the ones MLD uses. These seem to remove a lot of adjustment pain and would make setup super simple. I wonder how well they work on a ridgeline?

I have some, I just haven't committed to cutting into mine yet and adding them.

Link to the line loc/ladder locks I am talking about:
http://www.itwnexus.com/catalog/index.php/dw/op/a/2/c/0/p/114

For attaching the line to the stake, I use a wrap method similar to the one Warbonnet Guy demonstrated in his tarp video.

Raul Perez
01-27-2010, 16:58
I just use Zing It 1.7MM (I think) all around. This only added 1.6 ounces to the initial weight of the tarp and stuff sack. I have the SpinnUL Deluxe.

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/4/9/2/7/oes_spinnul_tarp_004_thumb.jpg (http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=8283&c=member&orderby=title&direction=ASC&imageuser=4927&cutoffdate=-1)

opie
01-27-2010, 20:04
The No Knot Guy Lines I sell dont require any knots. Toggle or larkshead the prusik loop to your D ring and thats it. Adjustment is made by placing one of the fixed eyes over your stake/ guy point and pulling tight. Weight each without the tensioner is 5 grams.

http://whoopieslings.com/No_Knot_Tarp_Guylines.html

BillyBob58
01-27-2010, 21:17
I recently purchased the same tarp and have yet to set it up (how sad is that??). I'd like to know if you guys use a single ridge-line with prussils to tension the tarp or do you tie a line from each end of the tarp? I have always used a single line but I am open to suggestions. ANy advantage or disadvantage to either setup other than the weight of the rope?

I keep trying to get around to the separate line with the tarp over the line, so I can hang wet clothes or whatever. But I have stuck with the skins for a couple of years or so, because it has just seemed to work dang good, especially when the wind is howling. I'm sure I could adjust the tarp easier and with more precision with the prussicks, but it is pretty simple and easy right now.

For example, when I pulled into camp on the last Sipsey trip, it had just started an all night rain, sometimes heavy. So I tied one end of the JRB tarp in skins to tree #1 with a easy to undo knot, then tie to the other tree. I eyeball it, and decide it is centered close enough, and tighten the knots/line. I don't really need it centered precisely anyway. Because I always try to hang one end a bit higher than the other, if I'm not quite centered I'll make up for it by raising or lowering one end after original set up. So after that the tarp comes out of the skins, a little at a time if the wind is bad. Once the tarp is up ( which was just a few minutes later) and staked- with a hiking pole porch- then I wrap the hammock webbing around one tree and clip the biner, adjust so that the triangle ring is about 6" under the tarp repeat on tree #2, and tighten up each end as needed so that the hammock is more or less centered on the tarp. Actually, I think in that case I pulled the hammock closer to the uphill tree, away from the river. Because the rain was trying to blow in the other end.

All of that only took a few minutes, and all was bone dry. And believe me, it was pouring pretty good at times. So how much easier does it need to be? ;) I ended up hanging my wet clothes over the WBBB RL.

Still, I'll probably end up trying a separate line. Just for fun and to have a place to hang stuff! :rolleyes: Maybe then I will realize how superior it is. Will I have to give up my skins?

opie
01-27-2010, 21:29
Will I have to give up my skins?

I dont see why you would. The only difference between 2 seperate lines and 1 is the physical presence of the line under the tarp.

The benefit is several fold. First, as you stated you have somewhere to hang items. Another is you have the ability to adjust tarp placement without having to untie the line holding the tarp up.

GrizzlyAdams
01-27-2010, 21:30
Still, I'll probably end up trying a separate line. Just for fun and to have a place to hang stuff! :rolleyes: Maybe then I will realize how superior it is. Will I have to give up my skins?

No. When you roll the tarp into the skins, have it over the tarpline. Doesn't matter what you do after unrolled, if you want the tarp under the line just feed one side under. Or leave it over.

Skins stay on the ridgeline. Everything works as before, it's just a bit simpler to adjust the tarp's position by moving it along the rigdeline.

koaloha05
01-28-2010, 11:33
Weight of 4 guy lines (~8 ft max length) plus mini locs is ~20gm. Minimum length of line as set up in the picture is ~3". Dyneema 1.7mm is a bit overkill at +500# break strength when new. Even with UV & time breakdown the lines should last the life span of the tarp. Spent the $$s on a Spinn tarp to reduce weight. No point in adding heavy lines and heavy hardware. At less than 1gm/each the line locks under less than ideal conditions have been worth the additional ~4gm in weight. Easy to use with gloved hands. Quick when you need rapid set up or take down.

Barefoot Child
01-28-2010, 12:05
I agree with Te-wa,
you may not NEED the tensioners, but they much reduce the forces applied to the tarp especially in windy conditions.
This kind of tarp is made of the most expensive material and you sure would hate to see it get damaged. A lot of force can be placed on a large tarp in a very short time in a windy condition.
I also agree with what Opie said about the ability to adjust the tarp placement when using a full ridge line above or below the tarp. If you go "above", you can also use reefing ties and it also eliminates wear and tear created by the rubbing on the ridgeline. HYOH/YMMV
IMHO the PRO's outweight the weight sacrifice, no pun intended.
It may not stretch when wet, but your ears are going to know it is there. Have you ever been on a sailboat with mylar sails? Don't get me wromg I think it is a great material for a tarp and will probably be getting one myself in the future..."Technology waits on us, not the other way around", but I'm just saying you have to be ready for the sound of taughtness, and light wieght....this is coming from a long time sailor, mate.

"High speed...low drag" :cool:

And as AC says....cheers! :D

Wags
01-29-2010, 00:19
after the first dozen uses i don't find my spinn to be too loud. dunno if it actually got quieter or if i just got used to it.

no tensioners for me. i too used brian's guyline kit thingy. bowlines permanently attach each guy to the tarp, then i just tie them out as i see fit. keeps everything neat and organized for me...

Wags
01-29-2010, 00:20
koalo have you had any issues w/ the line locs slipping when it's getting super windy?

warbonnetguy
01-29-2010, 00:48
i've noticed that spinn isn't loud once the tarp is taut, even with wind blowing. if it was somewhat loose, then it would make noise.

i've never found a need for tensioners, even with sil i found if i pulled it tight enough to begin with it would be ok. the spinn is easier in that regard since it's easier to get taut.

i often use the msr groundhog hitch, but i've also found that if i go around the stake and back through the ring on the tarp corner, i've effectivly created a truckers hitch. just pull to tighten, then just wrap the slack around the 2 lines a few times and tie off with a single slipped half hitch. very easy.

i use seperate lines for the rl pull tabs, but the over-the-top seperate rl with sliding prussic looks worthy of messing with so i'll probably give it a try one of these days.

on my larger tarps, i like to have shorter lines (4' or so) on the ground corners. i can just let them hang free when packing and they're short enough not to tangle much. i'll always carry some longer sections for the rl pull tabs or for times when want to do an awning pitch or something that requires longer lines. since i use the shorter lines most of the time, the long ones stay packed in the stake bag so i only have to mess with long lines when i actually need to use them.

Barefoot Child
01-29-2010, 01:38
Well, I can always be convinced to listen to someone who has experienced the ride. Like I said before HYOK/YMMV. :D

koaloha05
01-30-2010, 18:08
koalo have you had any issues w/ the line locs slipping when it's getting super windy?

No problems with gusty winds into 30mph range or wet conditions. Freezing rain/sleet was no problem. Use the same line locks on the ridge line. Tarp ridge line is the stuff JRB stocks. Had a chunk of AirCoreNano to play with. Seemed a bit to thin for a real secure lock and easy release. If you go with these locks 1.7-2.5mm line is what I would recommend. Life gets a bit interesting when setting up or taking down under wet windy conditions or in the dark. Line locks makes it simpler. Especially when wearing gloves. Worse case if a lock fails is to revert to knots.