PDA

View Full Version : Hawaii Camping

AndrewB
10-07-2013, 22:07
My wife and I are planning a trip to Hawaii from Dec 17-Jan 7th. We are hoping to hammock camp as much as possible. We want to do mostly hiking, snorkeling and scuba. Right now, the thought is to split time between Oahu, Kauai and Maui. We also haven't ruled out doing the Big Island.

Anyone have any suggestions on good places to hang and hike? Been reading that the campsites on/near beaches should be avoided.

Any precautions we need to take for the centipedes? Permethrin + bug net sufficient? Any other things I should know compared to camping in Michigan?

Sidewinder
10-07-2013, 22:39
I've always wanted to hike/hang the Kalalau Trail on Kauai.

S

AndrewB
10-08-2013, 09:53
Kalalau is definitely up there on the list!
UnrealHawaii (http://www.unrealhawaii.com/hikes/) has lots of good pictures and descriptions of hikes, but most of them are on Oahu. Wish there was an equally good list for the other islands, especially Kauai.

ggreaves
10-08-2013, 10:37
I've always wanted to hike/hang the Kalalau Trail on Kauai.

S

Kalalau trail's a little treacherous to hang a hammock, no? I've been to the north shore but never done the trail. Some parts look pretty scary, although hanakapiai and kalalau beaches look beautiful. Kauai is absolutely beautiful. And, yes, beware the centipedes. I've heard people who were bitten wishing something less painful had happened... like being shot. Double layer hammock / shake out your bedding before getting in and shake out your boots before putting them back on.

Sidewinder
10-08-2013, 19:48
Kalalau trail's a little treacherous to hang a hammock, no? I've been to the north shore but never done the trail. Some parts look pretty scary, although hanakapiai and kalalau beaches look beautiful. Kauai is absolutely beautiful. And, yes, beware the centipedes. I've heard people who were bitten wishing something less painful had happened... like being shot. Double layer hammock / shake out your bedding before getting in and shake out your boots before putting them back on.

I think a few here have done it, IIRC.

S

Acer
10-08-2013, 20:03
Why don't you contact Jon of Flat Cat gear as he just got done hiking for 2 weeks in HI., the Kalalau Trail. I think he is very familiar with HI.

Here is his website,,and off it you can get his contasct information as well as his facebook site too.

He has a nice intro on his hiking on his home page also.

http://www.flatcatgear.com/

Enjoy your time in Hawaii.

AndrewB
10-08-2013, 20:17
Thanks Acer. Sending him an email right now.

JoshuaTrees
10-08-2013, 20:27
I'm jealous

this hike looks cool https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vnl9GpdnCQQ

Have Fun

AndrewB
10-08-2013, 20:32
I assume Permethrin works on the centipedes?

If so, will have to do a soak just before we go, including our shoe cushion inserts!

Acer
10-08-2013, 20:44
I would say,,soak everything before you go. Keep shoes when off either in packs,,or hammocks with you or bang them together hard a few times before putting on. I had to do this as well,,when in taranchula and scorpion country camping as well as the jungles.

lugnut
10-28-2013, 16:51
We are just going to miss each other. I am taking the family there at the end of January. We are going to meet my wife's side of the family there too. I don't think I'll get the chance to camp this time though.