PDA

View Full Version : West Tx Hangs?

DylanN
10-09-2013, 08:59
Does anyone know of anywhere near (within a couple hundred miles of) midessa that has a decent hammock friendly camp ground? Thanks to anyone that can help.

mattyg
10-09-2013, 10:07
Oil derricks maybe?

oldgringo
10-09-2013, 10:33
Cotton stalks?

That's all I got...sorry.

UncleMJM
10-09-2013, 10:58
Well in addition to the fine responses above, let me add windmills. :lol::lol:

Our November hang is only 414 miles to the east of you. :scared:

Palo Duro Canyon State Park is 230 miles north of you and it has some hanging options.

About 30 more miles to the west you're in national forests in Cloudcroft, NM. Although I've not been there I've heard some great rewiews. If you head that fare west, your mileage to Ruidoso, NM isn't much more and again there are national forest options that you could consider.

Here's a "forest camping" site (http://www.forestcamping.com/dow/list/nflist.htm)that may be of help as well.

If I were in your neck of the woods, sorry, lack of woods, I would bring a portable stand of some sort along unless I knew my destination well.

Raoul Duke
10-09-2013, 15:57
There are lots of hanging opportunities in the Chisos Mountains of Big Bend National Park. Virtually all of the backcountry sites there are surrounded by sturdy trees, particularly the ones higher in the mountains. Of course, none of these sites are accessible by car, so be prepared for a back-country experience. Also, some of the drive-in sites in the Rio Grande Village campground have stout mesquite trees that you could hang from.

gmcpcs
10-11-2013, 15:03
I hear ya,

My wife recently moved to the ODMID area, and I am amazed at the dirth of trees...sometimes you can find canyons or washes with cottonwoods, I see some state parks around out there too... +1 for the (some) of the above responses. (Cotton grows big in Texas but not that big...)

Others have taken mesquite tree branches and lashed several together in two different trees and tried that, not me though :)

I am fortunate enough here in Memphis to have several private land areas, parks, canyons, and riverbeds where I can sneak a hanging spot.

Make sure any tarp you get is durable enough to handle the steady/gusty winds...

Take it easy,
gmcpcs

mikethebeard
10-11-2013, 17:37
if your looking for something more like two or so hours from you head towards San Angelo and the state park there, if memory serves right its allot of mesquite but i think it would be manageable. there may be a few other outdoor recreational places in the way of Christoval Tx as well.

link for the San Angelo park: http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/state-parks/san-angelo

DylanN
10-11-2013, 23:36
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. San Angelo and Big Bend will probably be the next places iI check out. I actually got married in ruidoso :D BTW growing up in southern nm you learn to hike through/around mesquite, cactus, goat heads, and a huge number of other flora and fauna that want to maim you (not to mention the climate :rolleyes: ) so no worries on the backwoods bit.

PS
I may be able to make it to the hang if things work out well

oldgringo
10-13-2013, 14:01
Major style points for the first guy to hang on a center pivot rig. With pics.;)

matthew2000tx
10-13-2013, 16:49
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. San Angelo and Big Bend will probably be the next places iI check out. I actually got married in ruidoso :D BTW growing up in southern nm you learn to hike through/around mesquite, cactus, goat heads, and a huge number of other flora and fauna that want to maim you (not to mention the climate :rolleyes: ) so no worries on the backwoods bit.

PS
I may be able to make it to the hang if things work out well

San Angelo native here! I think your best luck would be near lake Nasworthy and not the state park. Especially at the camping areas at the lake.

PM and I can give you specifics and perhaps join you in a hang!