PDA

View Full Version : Utah Hang 2014… ideas

tygr
10-11-2013, 21:58
I know there were attempts to get a hang organized earlier this year—and thank you. While it started out with great enthusiasm, it seemed to putter out just before the scheduled date. I know I couldn't make it myself.

This thread is an attempt to establish another date and location for Utah (and nearby) hangers to get together and enjoy each others company. If there's already a thread for this, by all means please post a link and let's discuss it there.

I suggest we choose a location that's relatively easy to get to by most that want to join.

Let's start off by having everyone that's interested say where their coming from.

Also, what is most convenient: June–August; or April/May; or September/October?

webhanger
10-12-2013, 04:28
I am not sure where the all of the Utah hangers are from, but if we stuck to 50-100 miles 'ish of the Salt Lake area I would be in assuming my calendar will cooperate. I would guess the majority of us are within an hour or so of Salt Lake. Please feel free to prove me wrong but I bet that would get a sizable chunk of us assuming enough interest.

MuseJr
10-12-2013, 07:15
I'm coming from Utah County, but I'm ok with any part of the state. I like the Boulder Mtn area, but we had a couple of guys on bikes that didn't like it much last time. Maybe this time we should go to the Uintas. Plenty of campgrounds there and lots of hiking opportunities for those that want it.
July and September are usually tough for me, but I can get lucky those months too.

The last one was a good time. I'm looking forward to the next one.

2eez4life
10-12-2013, 10:12
SLC, and I'm thinking spring time April-May.

pgibson
10-12-2013, 13:06
I would be in depending on timing, had a great time at this years. August is out for me with the Anniversary sale and kids back to school and about a hundred other things...September is the Idaho hang and that is going to be a full week of hiking this next year. Other than that there are very few time I can't swing.

Boulder mountain was a lot of fun this year but it was a heck of a drive for us at about 12 hours each way. Uintas would work as wood a lot of other places. Not to picky. Road trips are fine with me but I know more folks would have come if it had been closer to SLC last year.

ringtail-THFKAfood
10-12-2013, 16:08
I favor a hang in the Henry Mountains. I would hike thru Bryce either before or after.

blaktee
10-30-2013, 13:32
I would like to come as well. For us Idaho boyz....closer to SLC would be better.

pgibson
10-30-2013, 14:37
After 4 years of planning the Idaho Hang I have learned that to make a hang happen someone just needs to grab the reigns make choice...pick a spot, pick a date and go. There is no way that any date or place will work out for everyone. Someone won't want or be able to drive that far, will have something come up, or just won't like the spot picked. If it just ends up being a back and forth sort of thing of will these days work? Or what about this place or this place or this place or this place then it will never happen. Last year Muse Jr and I got to the point of just picking a spot and saying when and where we would be.

I want to see a Utah Hang happen again in 2014, someone just has to decide on what the trip is going to be and when and then go forward. Don't make me pick again ;) :rolleyes: :shades:

dejoha
10-30-2013, 15:18
I'm tagging this to follow.

I'd like to join a Utah hang for sure. As for suggestions, I'm more familiar with the southern part of the state, but I don't mind going up north. I recently did a hang on Mount Timpanogos, which was a ton of fun. Timponeke campground is easily accessible but I'm not sure if there are group sites there. Around the front side of Timp (a short hike from Timponeke) some call Indian Campground, is beautiful.

1-Hung-Low
11-01-2013, 23:10
Fish Lake, southeast of Richfield?

spoolup
11-17-2013, 00:16
Big cottonwood canyon? I was up there last weekend in a decent amount of snow. There are plenty of great places for us to meet. Im flagged on this now, so just say when and where.

jerhangin11
11-17-2013, 03:03
I had a great time on the last Utah hang and would be in for another (as long as muse is bringing another tri tip ;)) ! I am in South Jordan but I don't mind a road trip as it just expands my backpacking repertoire here in Utah. Second half of the summer would be best for me, but I'll do my best to make it anytime that is planned.

MuseJr
11-20-2013, 10:23
I had a great time on the last Utah hang and would be in for another (as long as muse is bringing another tri tip ;)) !
Deal... If we can get this gig setup, I'll bring the tri tip and cook it again.

dejoha
11-20-2013, 11:01
Is anyone interested in a "quickie" hang over Thanksgiving? I'll be up in the Provo/Orem area for a funeral and will be spending Thanksgiving with relatives and I would love to skip out for an overnighter if someone would like to tag along. I'm open to locations, but it would be better if it were in the Provo/Orem area like up Spanish Fork Canyon or American Fork Canyon maybe?

I'm not as familiar with the area, but I'd love to do something.

jerhangin11
11-20-2013, 11:06
Oh dang! I would have been down but I'm heading up to Oregon for thanksgiving, sorry man.

MuseJr
11-20-2013, 11:36
D, Give me a call when you get up here. I'm sure we can find someplace to get away.

BC9696
12-01-2013, 14:02
Fishlake or Strawberry Res would be worth the drive from So. Cal. for me. I hunt those areas. Now if ya can locate a spot with carp as well, I'll bring my bowfishing gear.

brooklynkayak
12-07-2013, 16:31
I expect to be in or near Utah in the spring and could probably go most anywhere.
Unitah/Flaming Gorge area may be good because it's relatively close to SLC, Denver and the Wyoming and Idaho crowd.

There are so many good options. I would enjoy central or southern Utah as well.

2eez4life
12-09-2013, 13:14
I expect to be in or near Utah in the spring and could probably go most anywhere.
Unitah/Flaming Gorge area may be good because it's relatively close to SLC, Denver and the Wyoming and Idaho crowd.

There are so many good options. I would enjoy central or southern Utah as well.

I agree with that idea. Trying to garnish the most participation possible by picking the most central location. Uintah's are the bee's knees!
But some clarification, are we talking about car camping, or hiking into the back country for the hang?

arczeneb
12-09-2013, 20:15
Mountain camping above Flaming gorge around 7000 ft. Four campgrounds one group site at Greens lake. Views from Canyon rim campground awesome overlooking Flaming gorge. Fishing, camping, kayak/canoe, hiking and more. Need a restaurant Red lodge.

cataraftgirl
12-09-2013, 20:29
If I can avoid breaking my leg again, I'd be interested. Flaming Gorge area sounds good, but anything is ok with me as long as I don't have to hike in. A drive in group campground with nearby hiking, fishing, etc. If we were near Flaming Gorge, I could bring my mini-cat and float & fish section A of the Green River.
KJ

brooklynkayak
12-10-2013, 04:54
Yes, fishing, hiking, swimming and maybe include a group raft trip down a section of the Green River.
I've done a few sections by raft and kayak, but it was a very long time ago.

MuseJr
12-10-2013, 05:29
Now we're talking. I would love to float the aquarium and fish the A section. Camping near the gorge works for me.
If I'm bringing steaks again, then I'm car camping for the first night for sure. I don't want to pack in 10lbs of meat.

pgibson
12-10-2013, 09:47
I don't want to pack in 10lbs of meat.

and that's just the bacon. :lol: The steaks are a whole other subject.

I would be up for exploring more of that area.

arczeneb
12-10-2013, 15:05
for those fishing the Green river part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wF9Wbe5U_uM
Greens Lake rainbow and brook trout

blaktee
12-10-2013, 17:44
any dates being kicked around yet???? What was the dates on last years hang?

dman
12-11-2013, 19:33
I'd love to do the Green/Flaming Gorge area. I've wanted to do the A and B section in my packraft, this would be the perfect opportunity.

pgibson
12-11-2013, 19:44
any dates being kicked around yet???? What was the dates on last years hang?

6/6/13 till 6/9/13 was this years hang.

planning thread for reference: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=68458&highlight=utah

Trip report for Reference: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=74480&highlight=utah

Dos
12-11-2013, 21:42
well, count me IN.

Just need to hitch a ride from LV, or attend a Bryce thru or something,
or whatever.... :mellow:

arczeneb
12-11-2013, 22:17
well, count me IN.

Just need to hitch a ride from LV, or attend a Bryce thru or something,
or whatever.... :mellow:

Henderson, NV waiting for dates and location. If Flaming Gorge I will bring my kayak drive time 9hrs plan to hang out for several days. Me hanging out at the Rim campground overlooking Flaming Gorge yes hammock camping. Red Canyon campground 9 miles from Bryce is a thought for fall.

dman
12-13-2013, 10:18
If you NV guys wanna car pool we could take my F350 and plenty of Kayaks/boats for the Green. I have 3 packrafts as well and extra hardshells if anyone wants to put a couple of float trips together.

pgibson
12-19-2013, 17:34
Dman I would love to try out a pack raft if you bring them up.

There are a lot of things to do and see in that area. Took the family over there last summer for a few days exploring around Vernal. There is a great family friendly day hike to see some dinosaur foot prints not far from Vernal. If folks wanted to check that out I would be happy to lead the trek.... seemed like it was about a mile to 1.5 each way. Not a hard hike, our then 2.5 yr old made it and hiked almost all the way on her own.

brooklynkayak
12-19-2013, 18:08
Although I had spent a good amount of time in Utah before moving to NY. The most memorable place was when I was there just a couple summers ago.

It's called Jones Hole in Dinosaur Ntl Park. It is a remote oasis/Valhala kind of place near the Green River. Amazing valley with steep cliffs, slot canyons, easy hiking, beautiful river with lots of wildlife, vegetation and fish.

I heard they had a major rocklside there last year, so don't know if it's accessible, but if you get a chance, check it out.

brooklynkayak
12-19-2013, 18:13
Oh, and by he way, if it works out, I will have my sea kayak. I wouldn't want to take it on the Green River, but it's the perfect boat for fishing on Flaming Gorge.

MuseJr
12-20-2013, 06:58
It sounds like Flaming Gorge is a good location for most of us. That makes that part easy.
Now we just need dates. Are we going to do this in June again or are we looking at different dates? I'm good with early June again. July is out for me for sure. I have two week long trips that month, so taking time off will be difficult.

cataraftgirl
12-20-2013, 07:28
June would work better for me. Possible river trips in May, July, September.

dman
12-20-2013, 09:36
June would work for me, I won't ever be celebrating my anniversary again and that's what screwed up last years trip for me. In hindsight, I should have gone on the dang trip and worried about her later.LOL

dman
12-20-2013, 09:38
[QUOTE=pgibson;1157093]Dman I would love to try out a pack raft if you bring them up.

Paul, your on. If I bring all three that would leave one for my new lady friend if she comes down from Rexberg.

pgibson
12-20-2013, 16:36
Paul, your on. If I bring all three that would leave one for my new lady friend if she comes down from Rexberg.

Cool! I have wanted to try a packraft for a while now and this should be a good place to give it a try. There are some backcountry rivers that are fairly mellow in SW Idaho that I really really want to float and fish. So getting to try it out will be very cool.

June should work pretty well for me as well.

arczeneb
12-20-2013, 17:13
It sounds like Flaming Gorge is a good location for most of us.

There is a high elevation campground 7400 at Greens lake with a group site. Accommodates up to 40 people located at the backside of the campground.
Reservations Reserve America. Cost $65.00 per night.
http://www.reserveamerica.com/camping/Greens_Lake/r/campgroundDetails.do?page=details&contractCode=NRSO&parkId=73726&topTabIndex=CampingSpot
Fishing Green river or Greens lake, hiking, kayaking Flaming Gorge and more.

Greens lake season dates.
http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/ashley/recreation/camping-cabins/recarea/?recid=72179&actid=29

pgibson
12-20-2013, 17:49
Right now it looks like all of June is available to reserve any days. I'm sure that won't last long though. We should start throwing out dates that work. I'm good for any weekend...with the length of drive I would prefer 3-4 days rather than overnight.

brooklynkayak
12-20-2013, 18:05
3 or 4 days would be my choice, if I can schedule it.
There are lots of things to do, hiking, fishing river running, ...

The higher elevations can be coldish in June and so not as big a demand for the general public, making campgrounds less crowded. That also makes for the best hiking.

arczeneb
12-20-2013, 18:12
My plan is to take a week off to enjoy been there beautiful area. Three days group camping ? and Canyon rim camping if this is the area of choice. Snowmelt, green foliage, cool temps, kayaking and hiking.
No guess here I'm in just need dates and location.

arczeneb
12-20-2013, 18:16
The higher elevations can be coldish in June
But not winter camping hopefully and no crowds.

MuseJr
12-23-2013, 01:33
How about 6/12-6/15?? That keeps us in similar dates as last year. It could also make it easier to do an annual thing to plan around.

2eez4life
12-24-2013, 16:32
How about 6/12-6/15?? That keeps us in similar dates as last year. It could also make it easier to do an annual thing to plan around.

I second the June Date!

arczeneb
12-24-2013, 16:35
Looks like a June date now the location any other thoughts.

321jer
01-01-2014, 00:17
I'd love to be in on this one but my wife and I are expecting a baby around that time. I'll have to try for next year. Take a look at the Payson Lakes campground. There are group sites, plenty of trees to hang from, and pretty close to Salt Lake. It's a pretty busy area. I don't know if everyone is looking for solitude. The LaSal Mountains down by me in Moab is another place to consider. Warner Lake campground has some incredible aspen tree groves. I'll be watching for a trip report so I can experience it through pictures.

Jeremy

OdieGreen
01-05-2014, 02:44
Flaming Gorge/Green River sound good. I can take off any time as long as I have enough lead time. My wife wants to know if anyone else is taking their non-hanging wives with perhaps an RV. She wants to come and "hang out" just not from trees like the rest of us.

sodakgrrl
01-05-2014, 05:54
Just saw this thread. I would love to visit the Flaming Gorge area, and it's only an 8-ish hour drive from the Black Hills. This might be doable for boothill and me!

SnrMoment
01-05-2014, 10:15
Subscribed

Boothill
01-05-2014, 14:45
greens lake would be do-able for sodakgrrl and myself.....warner, not so much

boot

cataraftgirl
01-06-2014, 07:48
Dates and location are good with me.

sodakgrrl
01-06-2014, 08:05
I would like to second my vote for Greens Lake. :) I hope this goes, I already asked for the time off!

pgibson
01-06-2014, 10:44
I think the majority sound like Green River area hang about mid June. I would say lets go for it and put it in the books.

arczeneb
01-06-2014, 13:21
If Ok I will start a new post for all that plan to attend. Now the hard part who is willing to step forward on the group site for $195.00 at Greens Lake. The thought is once you arrive on Thursday provide $ for the reservation made or any other option available. For example 30 folks attending $6.50 per person.
The sooner a decision is made all can provide for time off or schedule as such.
Finally yes a potluck to show off your culinary skills.

**Say nobody shows you can cancel the reservation pay the service fee but if you wait last minute one night fee also. Exact information Reserve America.

OutandBack
01-06-2014, 14:40
Ashley National Forest Greens Lake Campground is only a 6 hour drive for me. I've always wanted to explore the Flaming Gorge area. Pencil me in.
The middle of June is a long way off so I can't commit 100% this early.

brooklynkayak
01-06-2014, 15:53
I am going to try and make it. I was planning on being in Utah around that time, but I won't find out my schedule until we get closer to the date.

I used to spend a lot of time in the Flaming Gorge and Uinta/Ashley area when I was young.
I hope I can be there for the hang.

OdieGreen
01-06-2014, 16:36
I'm so in!!!!!

OdieGreen
01-06-2014, 18:09
Is anyone else planning on bringing their family?

arczeneb
01-06-2014, 18:42
If you missed the post I deleted what was #52 reason spoke to National Forest Service on the group campsite Greens Lake. She felt not enough trees for this type of group. Recommended dispersed camping allowed off of 191/44 with plenty of trees no restrictions.

Plan B:
Rim Canyon area has 3 campgrounds available all close by. Individuals can reserve or show up. Reservations can be made 6 months in advance.
http://www.reserveamerica.com/unifSearchResults.do
Plan C:
Dispersed camping just off of the back end of Rim Canyon forest service said plenty of camping available just off of the dirt road that could handle this group.

Thoughts anybody in the area.

pgibson
01-06-2014, 18:54
I was kinda thinking almost the same, we drove briefly though the greens lake CG when we were there 2 summers ago. The forest right in that area seemed a little thin. However the CG's along 191 to the south of where it an 44 meet are in Aspen forest that is much denser....however there is not a large group site if my memory serves (don't hold me to that)

There is a ton of forest but having a set spot to meet at is a lot different than folks just driving around in the woods hoping to run into the group.

sodakgrrl
01-06-2014, 18:58
Hmmm....my vote would be for someplace with water and vault toilets.

2eez4life
01-06-2014, 20:00
Has another official thread been started for this yet?

OdieGreen
01-06-2014, 20:16
I second the vault toilet idea

pgibson
01-06-2014, 20:37
Lodgepole CG just south of 191/44 junction looked like a nice one with lots and lots of trees....still very close to where we have been talking. No group site but with last years attendance we could have done 2 sites side by side and been fine.

Alamosa
01-06-2014, 21:00
This sounds like a lot of fun and I will do everything I can to be able to attend. I will have to bring my boat down. I can't get that close to Flaming Gorge and not bring it. FG has a lot of very neat areas.

arczeneb
01-06-2014, 21:34
Lodgepole CG just south of 191/44 junction looked like a nice one with lots and lots of trees....still very close to where we have been talking. No group site but with last years attendance we could have done 2 sites side by side and been fine.

Nice suggestion sites $16.00 restrooms and water in pine and aspen forest. Check out sites 11-21 on the back end some partial and full. Reserve as many double up vehicles and have place to ourselves with RV's. With plenty of trees to hang. Looks like you can make a reservation 3 days $57.00 2 vehicles $28.00 per vehicle.
If all agree site 16 for me full shade and will make an official post.

http://www.reserveamerica.com/camping/Lodgepole_At_Flaming_Gorge/r/campgroundDetails.do?contractCode=NRSO&parkId=70393

http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/ashley/recreation/hiking/recarea/?recid=72143&actid=29

cataraftgirl
01-06-2014, 22:53
Lodgepole looks good. Are we ok to hang there? Looks like there are lots of trees in the pictures. Reservations can be made after 1/10/14. Sites 15-18 might be good. Site 18 is a pull-through which might be nice if I bring my fishing mini-cataraft on my trailer.

OutandBack
01-06-2014, 23:59
Any idea how many hammocks they will allow per campsite?
Sorry if this was covered I did not read all 7 pages.

OdieGreen
01-07-2014, 01:44
I am all for lodgepole. My wife and 2 daughters will be tenting it while my boy and I hang.

OdieGreen
01-07-2014, 09:52
Nice suggestion sites $16.00 restrooms and water in pine and aspen forest. Check out sites 11-21 on the back end some partial and full. Reserve as many double up vehicles and have place to ourselves with RV's. With plenty of trees to hang. Looks like you can make a reservation 3 days $57.00 2 vehicles $28.00 per vehicle.
If all agree site 16 for me full shade and will make an official post.

http://www.reserveamerica.com/camping/Lodgepole_At_Flaming_Gorge/r/campgroundDetails.do?contractCode=NRSO&parkId=70393

http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/ashley/recreation/hiking/recarea/?recid=72143&actid=29

How many people went last year?

2eez4life
01-07-2014, 09:53
Cool, Yeah I'm in. I will probably bring a ground dwelling friend or two in hopes of showing them "the Way"! :sleep:

arczeneb
01-07-2014, 13:15
Ok folks bear with me I'm 0-2. Spoke to the Forest Service (435) 789-1181 and aware of our situation what we see at LodgePole campground on Reserve America is older photos trees are smaller and less hardy. So my question to her was where and the recommendation was Skull Creek bigger and more hardy trees. Look at recreation.gov there is vault toilets, water and closer to the gorge this is the recommended site. Available sites 10 on line and 7 walk in but the campground will fill up fast for summer. Cost $18.00 per night. She said this could handle 2 or more hammocks per site, 2 vehicles per site, max number of people 10, check in 1400. So 10 max per site 2 vehicles 3 sites close by or more move some vehicles around.
Need further clarification call the number above.
Ok let's give this a go I know all must be tired of the back and forth and adding my one cent to make this happen for the long drive.

Ashley National Forest Information
http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5276871.pdf
Skull Creek
http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/ashley/recreation/camping-cabins/recarea/?recid=72177&actid=29
Skull Creek campground (click site shows photo)
http://www.recreation.gov/camping/Skull_Creek/r/campgroundDetails.do?page=details&contractCode=NRSO&parkId=73721&topTabIndex=CampingSpot

OutandBack
01-07-2014, 14:40
snip...
Ok let's give this a go I know all must be tired of the back and forth and adding my one cent to make this happen for the long drive.

Absolutely not...Thank you for your effort. (bowing icon)
I've ran 3 group hangs and it is a ton of work.

arczeneb
01-07-2014, 15:17
Absolutely not...Thank you for your effort. (bowing icon)
I've ran 3 group hangs and it is a ton of work.

Intent was to hang and paddle but when this stalled I moved forward. Understood group hike Wonderland Trail Mt. Rainier 95 miles

Ok now back to business check out sites 1-2-3-6-7 entrance (photos) on recreation.gov. How may per site? Utah Hang 2014

Reservations are open checked on site #2 4 days 5 occupants and 2 vehicles (max) (test only)

pgibson
01-07-2014, 20:15
Skull does look better for trees on Google Earth and the pics on the reserve site look good.

My thought would be that we start a list of folks willing to book a site in the CG when possible. Another list of folks that are maybe for the hang....then as maybes firm up into yes they could get matched up to share a site...aka 2 cars per site. Working out the cost would be easy with 2 cars on a site...however many hammocks would fit.

Last years hang had 11 total folks in attendance...9 adults 2 kids, total of 4 cars and 2 motorcycles. We could have fit 3 times that many vehicles but probably would have had to really work to find decent trees for everyone had the number of people doubled.

For the head count, I am in...possibly with wife and one kid...possibly by my self. I am willing to pay to reserve a spot at Skull if that's the plan.

SnrMoment
01-07-2014, 20:26
I'm in. Can book a campsite. Will be bringing my 1 man cat raft (no relation to fair members).

arczeneb
01-07-2014, 20:45
If sites 3/2/1 plan is to reserve there's plenty of trees to pick from with 10 people per site that would work. Others pick what's available walk ins maybe.
I will start this off today or tomorrow site #2 since this is a long drive plan is 4 days Wednesday thru Sunday.
Official post soon to follow.

brooklynkayak
01-07-2014, 20:48
I will also have a boat, a sea kayak, and plan on hitting Flaming Gorge around that time, doing some exploring and fishing.

The optimum for most would be something near where RV parking was allowed, but also has camping with trees away from the RV crowds.

Areas that are RV friendly in the area tend to be hammock unfriendly.

arczeneb
01-07-2014, 21:28
The optimum for most would be something near where RV parking was allowed, but also has camping with trees away from the RV crowds.

If we reserve the front entrance three sites see campground layout the area would be ours others would fill the rest. Walk in sites no option 4-5. Sites 6-7 would put these between us and can be reserved. Sites 15-14-12 (pull through) no incoming traffic lots of trees end of loop. I'm leaning one of these 3.

cataraftgirl
01-07-2014, 21:55
I'm in. Just decide on which sites and I can reserve one. I will bring my fishing cat and maybe a touring kayak if I have one by then??? Definitely will bring the Dutch ovens! I will try very hard to keep my schedule clear and not break any body parts this year.
KJ

arczeneb
01-07-2014, 22:55
It's official check out the new post. Come enjoy Flaming Gorge hope for the best weather if not I have a tarp. :)