PDA

View Full Version : one week trip in SNP.

whatnowmitch
04-10-2009, 11:26
Me and a friend are hiking through the 105 miles SNP in late May (25th), and I was wondering if the weather for this time of year is cold enough that I will need any underquilts or anything. I am fairly new to hammocking, and haven't done any trips that lasted longer than 2 nights in my HH explorer. I don't have any quilts right now, so I am just wondering if I need to buy anything before I go, or if I will be fine with just a blanket.

E.A.Y.
04-10-2009, 12:27
Me and a friend are hiking through the 105 miles SNP in late May (25th), and I was wondering if the weather for this time of year is cold enough that I will need any underquilts or anything.

I don't know where the SNP is, but unless it is above 70 F all the time I think you'll need some kind of bottom insulation.

bernc3
04-10-2009, 12:41
Shenandoah National Park (http://maps.google.com/maps?q=shenandoah%20national%20park&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wl) (what I'd assume the OP means by SNP) is just north of Charlottesville, VA. I can't offer much advice on whether or not to bring UQs due to lack of experience with hammocking but I do know down here in Blacksburg, VA it gets cold at night even in the summer(~55-65). Actually we just had snow all day on Tuesday(4/7).

Ramblinrev
04-10-2009, 13:44
You are going to need something. A pad or somekind of bottom insulation such as the Super Shelter or Underquilt. That area can get chilly even in the summer.

hacktorious
04-11-2009, 10:11
I hang in that park all the time. It is one of my favorite places to go. It can get quite cold there in May. Especially at an elevation. I would recommend a JRB UQ. I have a nest, no sniv, and mt. rogers. All should work well.

I don't recommend pads, or the HH Super Shelter (SS). I never had much luck in SNP with the SS. Even in summer I was chilly. I've had the best luck with my JRB nest.

My mt. rogers is new, so I am not sure how it will work in SNP. I tried it last night for the last time and it was great. I cannot wait to try it in SNP.

I do recommend bringing an emergency space blanket, 1/2 blue pad, or reflective bubble insulation. Also, another good suggestion is synthetic top quilt. I usually just use down for a top quilt too, and haven't really had any issues.

Fog usually isn't much of a concern in SNP.

kayak karl
04-11-2009, 10:57
Me and a friend are hiking through the 105 miles SNP in late May (25th), and I was wondering if the weather for this time of year is cold enough that I will need any underquilts or anything. I am fairly new to hammocking, and haven't done any trips that lasted longer than 2 nights in my HH explorer. I don't have any quilts right now, so I am just wondering if I need to buy anything before I go, or if I will be fine with just a blanket.
this might help http://www.accuweather.com/us/va/luray/22835/forecast-normals.asp?partner=accuweather&traveler=0&zipChg=1&metric=0

nighthawk156
04-12-2009, 21:28
I have easly gone below freezing with just a ccf pad and a 35* sleeping bag. I wouldnt do it again, it was a very restless night but it can be done.

hacktorious
04-14-2009, 19:29
I have easly gone below freezing with just a ccf pad and a 35* sleeping bag. I wouldnt do it again, it was a very restless night but it can be done.

Yes, it can be done, I have done it may times. However, the pad can cause condensation. This is a very bad thing in cold weather.