PDA

View Full Version : Eagle Rock Loop in Dec,Jan, or Feb

hitec4you
10-13-2013, 16:08
Anyone done the Eagle Rock Loop in Dec, Jan, or Feb? I was thinking about going out to do the trail one of those months. I didnt know if I should or just wait till like March-May do go do it.

Caveman
10-14-2013, 07:22
I haven't done it in the winter, but I'd be willing to. If you want company, let me know. I've completed the loop twice now, but I would welcome the cool weather for the trip.

rhjanes
10-14-2013, 08:26
Yeah Caveman....completed once in the heat, once in the rain, one attempt was abandoned due to life threatening flooding.....now you want to try arctic conditions....WHY NOT!

^shane^
10-14-2013, 11:14
I've done it in February once. It was cold. I hike "hot" so I didn't wear a whole lot while moving, but when I stopped for breaks and at camp, I was immediately chilled and had to go to dry clothes and goose down to get my warmth back. I don't enjoy temperature yo-yos like that.

To me, the best time to hike the loop is March or November.

March gets you the leaf out and Dogwoods in bloom, plus lots of water in the creeks, without the bugs and poison ivy of late spring and summer.

November gets you long views after the leaves have fallen, cooler temps for hiking, and no bugs/poison ivy.

wesbri
10-14-2013, 11:56
I'm planning a trip for Dec 27-30 starting at junctionof LMT and ABT and going counter clockwise, river levels permitting. I'm planning a slow (3 day) plod and keeping a fourth day in hand in case the weather is beautiful and I want to keep camp an extra day at Winding Stairs or LM Falls. I'm told that the trail is really nice with the leaves off, allowing great views.

If the river looks too high, my backup plan is to begin a section hike of OHT, exact portion TBD. Let me know if you're interested.

Caveman
10-14-2013, 12:35
Not to jack the thread, but I might be interested in that wesbri.... Keep me posted.

uscgTT
10-30-2013, 00:51
To me, the best time to hike the loop is March or November.

March gets you the leaf out and Dogwoods in bloom, plus lots of water in the creeks, without the bugs and poison ivy of late spring and summer.

Thanks for the information ^Shane^, was thinking about a section hike in March.

southern9
12-28-2013, 08:58
I would be interested in March. I don't want to ffffffrrreeezzeeee.