PDA

View Full Version : MA > Western Massachusetts Hang spots

Pages : [1] 2

CountryRoads
10-15-2013, 15:43
Hey folks,

I thought I'd start a western MA thread since we're clogging up the NEHHA winter planning thread with talk of good spots in MA. If nothing else, perhaps, Cosmic Camper and I will just give a shout out when and where we're hanging so some other HF people could join us.

We're going to hike around Lithia Springs reservoir this Saturday (10/19) afternoon to look for some other good sites. It's off of Lithia Springs Road in South Hadley MA if anyone wants to join us.

Best,
CountryRoads

raiffnuke
10-15-2013, 15:56
Are you spending the night or is it just a day trip?

CountryRoads
10-15-2013, 18:19
Hey Raiff I can't spend the night this weekend but cosmic camper might be up for it. I have to work until 1 on Saturday so we'll head up after that and then I also have to work early Sunday morning. Perhaps next weekend though.

lilprincess
10-15-2013, 22:38
If we didn't have a scout function this weekend, I don't think you could tear Nighthauk away! Can't wait for an opportunity to check it out.

CountryRoads
10-16-2013, 17:35
Ha ha. Poor Nighthauk. Perhaps next weekend. Cosmic camper knows a lot of good spots around here. I'll tell him to post some of them. It would be awesome to have a small western mass hang.

Nighthauk
10-16-2013, 17:50
I have several that are close to me as well. I am sure we could come up with something. I will be looking for a snow shoeing expedition this winter as well. So those that are interested keep an eye for spots.

SilvrSurfr
10-16-2013, 18:35
Learn something new every day. I saw there was a Country Roads signed up for Fall MAHHA in WV and thought, "Gee, how can she be in two places at once." Apparently, there are two Country Roads, one with a space and one without, one going to Fall MAHHA and one rambling in Western MA this weekend. I'd ramble with you guys, but I'm trying to make it to the Mini-Fall MAHHA in Stokes State Forest, NJ!

CountryRoads
10-16-2013, 18:46
So there's another John Denver fan out there!

CountryRoads
10-19-2013, 16:18
So the hike around Lithia Springs reservoir was beautiful. There are a hand full of other good sites where you can hang right next to the water or pretty close. We found one where we actually hung the hammock over the water. Cosmic camper couldn't go due to work so I went with another friend. It took us about 2 hours to walk down to the reservoir and go all the way around it, but the hike around the entire reservoir would only take about an hour if you didn't stop and lollygag like we did. There were some other camp sites where people had obviously had fires. Saturday afternoon is probably not the best time to go if you want the place to yourself. Lot of hikers and fishers out there.

So it's off of Rt. 116. If you know where Atkins farms is, right at the intersection between Rt. 47 and Rt. 116, you take 116 south from there. Go about 3.5 miles and you'll see Gagne's store. Turn right there, then right on Lithia Springs Road and you are there. To get to the reservoir take the main gravel path until you see a broken down gate on your left, go through the gate and you'll find your way from there easily and I'm sure most of the trails lead down to the water but this will take you to that stellar spot where we've camped.

I'll post some more pics in a bit.

raiffnuke
10-19-2013, 17:03
Here are some pictures that CountryRoads took on her hike…

The first few are of spots and th last four are things to find on the hike around the reservoir. Kinda like a scavenger hunt.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/10/20/8uveju3y.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/10/20/guvy7uvu.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/10/20/jydy2y3e.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/10/20/redyzy4y.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/10/20/muvepaty.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/10/20/6y2enehu.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/10/20/5aqujy9y.jpg

CountryRoads
10-19-2013, 17:11
Thanks Raiff for posting those.

The first one is my friend Danielle hanging over the water, the second is a sweet spot where you have a little stone table right next to your hammock, the third is something to find (a tree stand that fell out of the tree), the fourth is another hang spot ( and I thought that would be Raiff's spot because the fire gods dropped a ton of fire wood there), the fifth is the biggest pine tree I've ever seen, the sixth is some kind of dinosaur head, and the seventh a giant pine stump (the top did not appear to be around there anywhere???) You western massers should check this spot out. Bring your fishing poles!

cosmic camper
10-20-2013, 10:59
Way to GO CountryRoads! Some of those look pretty stellar :)

Finishing up my marathon work weekend sometime this afternoon - I'll have to brainstorm some hotspots in Western MA to contribute to this awesome thread...

My first idea is Mt. Toby off of Rt. 116 in Leverett... it's a little tricky to find the trail head (you have to go through a little dirt road action) but it's a sweet hike and the views from the top are spectacular... especially if you are brave enough to walk up the 75ft fire tower (which has a nice metal staircase and only sways a little). Hammocking could make for a pretty epic adventure... the spot is complete with some lovely stone waterways (I think a small waterfall too) and plenty of trees. One of the next few weekends we (CountryRoads and whoever else wants to investigate) should go on a recon mission.

Second idea - somewhere in Deerfield/Conway, near Still Water (a popular swim spot and the pick-up area of a fantastic lazy river tubing destination) there is an absolutely gorgeous tributary that trickles it's way through magnificent ancient rock down to the Deerfield and eventually the might CT. That would be an excellent option - particularly come spring when the water is swimmable. I'd be up for a recon of that hotspot as well... I am pretty sure a friend of mine just went there and returned with rave reviews, so directions should be attainable.

Much Love,

Cosmic Camper

CountryRoads
10-20-2013, 16:38
Don't forget about Rattle Snake Gutter Cosmic. Doesn't it sound like a wonderful place!

CountryRoads
10-24-2013, 14:02
So unfortunately Cosmic and I can't hang this weekend (10/26 and 27), but we're going to next weekend at Lithia Springs. We're going to try some other hang spots around the reservoir. Anyone is welcome to join us. I will probably only hang Friday night because I have to work Sunday morning, but we'll see, I might make it a two nighter if some other folks are going to join us. I would just have to leave by 8 AM Sunday. So come on Western massers lets hang next weekend!!!

Nighthauk
10-24-2013, 14:08
Would love too but my hanging weekends are limited until my move is done.

CountryRoads
10-24-2013, 15:13
Too bad NH. Wish you could join us. We're going to be testing some gear. I put doors on my tarp and am working on a TQ system with a down bag I got at the Salvation Army yesterday!!! I got so lucky...

guitargeek76
10-24-2013, 16:39
So unfortunately Cosmic and I can't hang this weekend (10/26 and 27), but we're going to next weekend at Lithia Springs. We're going to try some other hang spots around the reservoir. Anyone is welcome to join us. I will probably only hang Friday night because I have to work Sunday morning, but we'll see, I might make it a two nighter if some other folks are going to join us. I would just have to leave by 8 AM Sunday. So come on Western massers lets hang next weekend!!!

What time would you guys be getting there on Friday? Work has been taking up all of my weekends lately, but the 2/3 I have the option of working Fri night or Sat night. If I come up there to camp Sat night, I'd have to leave at 8am Sunday as well. So I'm thinking of taking Friday off and coming up. As long as NY'ers are welcome, that is. :shades:

cosmic camper
10-24-2013, 19:50
Woohoo - NYers welcome for sure - just be forewarned that it's not the deep woods or anything! Still a lovely spot and Country Roads was talking' about making a nice fire (our usual spot doesn't have much dry wood) so come on down! Anyone else?!?!

CountryRoads
10-24-2013, 20:34
Well I work until 1:30 on Friday and it takes about 20-30 minutes to get there. I assume cosmic camper is working until 4 or 5. We should try to get there with a couple hours of daylight if we're going to build a fire... I'm thinking probably between 3 and 4 pm for me. It's almost like camping in our backyard so we don't worry too much about giving ourselves a lot of time there...let us know what time you're thinking. I'll need to work out the parking situation. We should be able to park fairly close though.

I guess you got your hammock guitargeek...

NH you're missing the fall foliage...moving is a heck of a lot of work. I don't envy you.

SemperFiGuy
10-24-2013, 20:54
CountryRoads,

Great idea on the new thread, as we Western Mass Hangers can tend to clog up things a bit. I think it's a great idea to think about a small Western Ma hang. Keep the thought. I for one would e interested. I'm in Chicopee. If there is enough interest, i'll do my part to help get it off the ground.

Nighthauk
10-24-2013, 20:55
Don't worry I have been out in it. I wish I could hang though. As to the moving it should go pretty easy. We will get together some time though.

cosmic camper
10-24-2013, 21:20
Yep - Country Roads is right, probably around 5:00 for me! Happy to meet folks in the woods - maybe someone can text me the directions if you all venture to new sites!

guitargeek76
10-24-2013, 21:40
I guess you got your hammock guitargeek...

Got the shipping notice the other day. It should be here tomorrow, or maybe Monday. I'll still be using my HH tarp, but that's fine. Ordering the SF tomorrow. Even with all the OT I've been putting in, I still can't bring myself to justify getting the camo CF tarp. That much $$ I'd never want to use it or get it dirty! :scared:

I'm gonna take Friday off, so I'll be up there early afternoon. Since I'll be going through Hartford anyway, might have to stop off at Cabela's.

As for parking, just let me know where.

guitargeek76
10-24-2013, 21:42
Woohoo - NYers welcome for sure - just be forewarned that it's not the deep woods or anything! Still a lovely spot and Country Roads was talking' about making a nice fire (our usual spot doesn't have much dry wood) so come on down! Anyone else?!?!

I don't mind it not being the deep woods. Just a nice, relaxing night away from the city, hanging with some cool people, that's all I'm looking for.

Is there firewood for sale in the area? Or is it just whatever we scrounge up?

CountryRoads
10-24-2013, 22:09
Hey Barrettgajr, nice to hear from someone in Chicopee, just a stones throw away from us.

There isn't any firewood for sale on on the site and you couldn't carry it in anyway, unless you had a all-terrain wagon or something. Don't think this is car camping. There is a bit of a hike to get in. We're not even really sure if we're supposed to be camping there but we take care of the place and try not to do any harm. Something I was wondering...I've heard that building fires too close to the water can be bad for the water; it's obvious other people have done it, but other people have also been really careless with trash, etc. around there so it's not likely that they checked to see if it was allowed. Anyone have any thoughts?

It's a reservoir so zoning laws prevent people from building a certain distance around the water, so it does seem like you're out in the wilderness. Last time we hung there we heard coyotes all night...actually cosmic camper was snoring away while I lay awake listening to the howling. I think the snoring kept them away.

Well guitargeek, let me know if you want any more info about the place. The little store on Rt. 116 is called Gagne's. If you want to park there, and it's pretty much the only place, then stop in and ask if it's okay and either buy some stuff or give the guy $5. I might call the store owner next week and ask about parking. We've only ever left one car there and he doesn't charge anything and would probably let anyone park there, but just to be sure I might check and tell him we'll pay him.
Best,
CountryRoads

guitargeek76
10-24-2013, 22:19
If you want to park there, and it's pretty much the only place, then stop in and ask if it's okay and either buy some stuff or give the guy $5. I might call the store owner next week and ask about parking. We've only ever left one car there and he doesn't charge anything and would probably let anyone park there, but just to be sure I might check and tell him we'll pay him.

I'd gladly toss the guy a few bucks for parking, as well as stock up on a few items while I'm there.

cosmic camper
10-24-2013, 22:26
Man, this is going to be sweet! Guitar geek - were you at NEHHA? I think I know you but can't remember for sure. Barretgajr - come on out for this little hang! Having a place to discuss/plan small spontaneous hangs in our neck of the woods is pretty awesome :)

Tempted to set up in the yard...

CountryRoads
10-24-2013, 22:44
Do it Brian!

guitargeek76
10-25-2013, 07:11
Guitar geek - were you at NEHHA? I think I know you but can't remember for sure.

I was. I look a lot like the guy in my avatar. ;-) I was usually wearing a green hoodie, and a Red Sox cap.

cosmic camper
10-25-2013, 12:08
I remember ya! You won some stuff at the raffle if I recall... :)

guitargeek76
10-25-2013, 12:34
I did! I won some camo tree straps, and these cool "Swiss Army Knife"-style utensils.

SemperFiGuy
10-25-2013, 14:21
Thanks Cosmic. Thanks Country

Won't be able to make this week-end unfortunately, but I'll start clearing the calendar for future hangs.

I am going to get out to Lithia Springs Reservoir over the next week and check it out.

Regarding whether or not we're supposed to be there or not, I'd guess if we ask someone at Town Hall, they'd say no. If, on the other hand, its not posted, (No Trespassing, etc....), then the better option is not to ask, but to respectfully leave the place better than it was when we got there. That way no one has any beef. A few pictures of trash strewn all over and then a few pictures after we cleaned up could go a long way towards explaining ourselves if ever challenged. Just sayin'.

Remember............. Deny everything, Admit Nothing, Suspect Everyone !

What a hoot. Hope you guys have a great time this week-end. GuitarGeek, welcome to Massachusetts. Hope you have a blast.

Gil

SemperFiGuy
10-25-2013, 14:38
Western Mass'ers

I have spent a fair amount of time in the Mt. Greylock area (Lanesborough, Ma), as well as October Mountain, Washington Mountain, (Lee, Ma), etc..... In fact, over the weekend of October 11th, I took my Golden Retriever Charlie up to October Mountain, (Car camped at the State Forest Campground), and we spent a great day on Saturday, exploring some of the trails around October Mountain, Washington Mountain, etc...... There are some really great areas up there for a group type of hang. Mt. Greylock also has some good spots including the primitive camping area which has several "group camping" designated areas. One of the premo areas is at Stony Ledge for any of you who have been up there.

Anyway, I'm going to get a little more info and post it here once I get it into coherent form. It takes me about 47 minutes from Chicopee to get up there. Not much further from Amherst, South Hadley, NoHo, Chesterfield, NY (GuitarGeek), etc....... I'll see what I can muster up for info.

Would insert a few pics here, but I don't quite know how.

Cheers !
Gil

guitargeek76
10-25-2013, 15:30
Thanks barrettgajr! I was up there for the NEHHA Fall Hang, and loved it! Living in one of the 5 boroughs, I need to drive at least 90 minutes to get to decent hiking and camping anyway. What's another hour, when it means hanging with cool people in great places?

Frank

CountryRoads
10-25-2013, 15:37
Yeah barrettga, there is nothing at all posted saying no camping or fishing at Lithia. There is a sign at the entrance saying no parking after dusk. So good plan. And thanks for posting some spots. There is a picture of the sweetest hang spot at Lithia Springs posted on the NEHHA winter planning thread. Probably page 18 or 19 maybe 20...I didn't post that one on this thread. Who am I kidding? I didn't post any of them...I have the same problem you have with pictures, though I haven't messed with it too much. Perrito posted how to do it in the NEHHA winter planning thread also. Have fun out there and perhaps if you go Friday afternoon we will run into you!

Nighthauk
10-25-2013, 16:28
If you guys haven't done part of the Southern section of AT in Mass. There are some good spots there, Sage Ravine, Hemlock Shelter, and a few others.

G.G.
10-25-2013, 16:49
If you guys haven't done part of the Southern section of AT in Mass. There are some good spots there, Sage Ravine, Hemlock Shelter, and a few others.

Headed that way weekend of 11/2.

GG

tri-pod bob
10-25-2013, 19:28
Just got back on Wed. from a hike that had some great potential hanging locations. I did a slow 9 day stroll from Mt. Monadnock to Lake Wyola in Shutesbury on the NET & will go through my notes to add some site ideas. Right off the top of my head is an area in Wendell State Forest near Ruggles Pond & the shelter on the NET. Although, I'm not sure of the overnight parking rules at Ruggles. PS: +1 on Mt. Toby!

CountryRoads
10-25-2013, 23:39
NH, I tried to organize a trip on the AT up and over Greylock this past summer but a couple people ended up backing out and it all kind of fell through. I should try to get out there in the spring.

Tri-pod, that sounds awesome, there are probably tons of great spots up in the hill towns around the Pioneer Valley...I've lived around here for a while but haven't done enough exploring!

raiffnuke
10-26-2013, 08:03
NH, I tried to organize a trip on the AT up and over Greylock this past summer but a couple people ended up backing out and it all kind of fell through. I should try to get out there in the spring.

Tri-pod, that sounds awesome, there are probably tons of great spots up in the hill towns around the Pioneer Valley...I've lived around here for a while but haven't done enough exploring!

Let me know when you are headed back up to Greylock.

Nighthauk
10-26-2013, 08:23
If I can swing I would love to go to.

CountryRoads
10-26-2013, 08:40
Sounds like we'll all have to hit Greylock in the spring! Cosmic hammock camped on top of and around Greylock last summer.

cosmic camper
10-26-2013, 13:08
I would really love to organize a 3-4 day hike that ended at Mt. Greylock's summit, with a car parked ahead of time (they have a lot up there). We could do some of AT and then end with a meal at the Greylock restaurant. Possibly spring?

tri-pod bob
10-26-2013, 17:11
I'd be up for that!! Kind of a nice way to kick it up before my June SOBO AT thru attempt.

cosmic camper
10-28-2013, 09:14
Sweet Bob (and EVERYONE!!!)- come spring let's make it happen!

cosmic camper
10-28-2013, 12:07
Just a quick reminder that our little Lithia Springs hang is THIS WEEKEND (11/1-11/2-3)

I'll be headed to Lithia right after work on Friday, probably arriving at our camp site around 6:00PM. Hopefully CountryRoads (who I bet will chime in here soon!) can get there even earlier. I will be hanging for one night and enjoying day hiking throughout Saturday. I've got a work commitment from 7:30-10:00PM on Saturday Night, but if you all are continuing the hang I will absolutely come back and enjoy a second night - and I'll be excited to operate by headlamp!

A thought - should I make a new thread titled "Western MA Mini Hang > Lithia Springs > 11/1 - 11/3" so that folks who haven't gotten through all five pages of this thread but are still interested can get in on the fun?

CountryRoads
10-28-2013, 18:07
Hey Cosmic and guitar,
I'm working until 2 on Friday and will head out shortly after that. Probably be there around 3 and probably get down to the reservoir around 3:30. Guitar you might beat both of us. Let me know what time you think you'll be getting there and we can plan a place to meet.

Cosmic and I were thinking of hanging in a different spot than usual where we'd be able to build a fire, which we've never done there. I'm bringing a saw so we should be good for firewood.

We could start another thread but so far it's only myself, cosmic and guitar I think, so we could keep the rest of the logistics to PMs. If there's anyone else interested just let us know. I'm psyched to try out some winter gear. It's been getting into the low 30's at night so this will be a good winter trial. We'll ease our way into the winter hang...

SemperFiGuy
10-28-2013, 19:07
Hi Western Ma Forum Mates.....

File this under Old Dog, New Trick.

I went to Google Earth and plotted out the approximate path from the rear of Gagne's Store Parking Lot, assuming Gagne will let us park there, down Lithia Springs Road, to the end, through the gate and to the approximate site of the Sourthern side of the Reservoir. The distance measures out to 1.11 miles in case GuitarGeek was wondering.

If you follow this link: (cut and past into your browser) it should take you to the Google Earth Community Forums Site. You'll see my post and down below on the left of the screen you should see and option to View. If you click on View, it should take you to a Google Earth Sat Map View of the hike from the rear of Gagne's Store Parking Lot to the Reservoir (Southern side.)

http://productforums.google.com/forum/embed/?PostWizardFile=e2a77d6f-fa8e-44a2-94bd-c65779a9bc80&sizekb=1#!topic/gec-member-centric-locations/snPOO6Ez7fQ

Try that and see how you make out.

As an alternate route, I also virtually parked just off of Rte 116 where the Power Line Path runs across Route 116. I virtually hiked in from there to the same spot at the Reservoir, give or take. The distance here is 1.73 miles.

I did the alternate measurement based on the theory that the people that live along Lithia Springs Road are going to start seeing a bunch of Aliens hiking down their street (albeit may 3 or 4 so far), and that might be enough for them to give the Police a call and point out the fact that people are coming down their street with Packs on their back and disappearing down towards the Reservoir.

Unfortunately in today's world, there is a hypervigilance with regard to public water sources, public transportation, etc...... I did the alternate route in the event that we want to be somewhat more discrete.

Given that its Archery Deer Season, the Police are pretty used to cars being parked on the sides of roads like 116 and left for inordinate periods of time.

In any event, if you want to see what the hike would look like, paste in the link and then select view and you should have it.

Let me know if it works.

Gonna try my best to get out there at least one night of the Two this week-end.

Gil

tri-pod bob
10-28-2013, 19:40
If my 0* Incubator arrives by Thursday, I'd be able to hang on Friday nite. Committed elsewhere for Saturday day/nite. C'mon.... new UQ!!

CountryRoads
10-28-2013, 20:10
Barrettgajr, you really did your research. I'll check it out. Thanks, and I called Gagne's today a few times; got a busy signal the first couple, then no answer. I'll try again tomorrow. Cosmic and I have been spotted by plenty of cars walking with our packs down to the reservoir...no one's said anything yet... So I assume you hiked all the way around. What did you think of the place?

I will probably only hang Friday night but I can stay all day Saturday.

Bob, I hope you get your Incubator! We'll get a lot of wind next to the water...brrrrr

CountryRoads
10-28-2013, 20:23
Gil, that map was great. If you look at the southern end, there's a maintenance shed and we usually hang a little east of that where you can kinda see a rock sticking out. You have like 180 degrees of water to look at from there. That aerial view was awesome!

SemperFiGuy
10-28-2013, 20:33
Country,

What a hoot. My "Hike" was a virtual hike via Google Earth. ISince I wasn't able to physically get out their over the week-end, I wanted to do a little research so that if I am able to get out their this week-end, for either Fri night or Sat night, I'll have the lay of the land. Same with the other forum mates that are thinking of coming out, ie., GuitarGeek, etc....

The place does look sweet. I really enjoyed your pictures. You did a great job when you and Danielle were out there. It looks like a great place for a hang and I'm hopefully going to get to see it this week-end. Even if I can't stay over I might try to hike in on Saturday at some point with my Golden Retriever Charlie. He's a real trip. Loves the woods. Loves the water. What a combination.

Hope to see you soon.

Gil

CountryRoads
10-28-2013, 20:49
Ha, I thought you went out there. We were (cosmic and I) thinking of hanging on the northern side this time. There are a few good hang sites over there and from where you get down to the reservoir, it's only a 20 min. or so hike to the northern side. Some of us might not be right on the water but I don't mind hanging back in the woods a bit because I want to try out the doors on my tarp and I can't do that right next to the water cuz I need to steak it out pretty wide.

I'll let you all know when I know more about the parking situation, but good to know we could potentially park right off 116. I might have to start getting my gear together tonight! and sleep in the hammock in the living room! Can't wait for the weekend, the perfect end to a week of conferences at work...

SemperFiGuy
10-28-2013, 22:00
Country,

The North Side looks great too. I did see the Maint Shed on the southerly side. I'm like you. nice to have a room with a view, but I don't mind hanging back ( no pun intended, but it was pretty funny), in order to get my set up right. I hang in a big ol' HH Safari with a Hennessy Hex over top. It suits me fine and I don't like to feel crowded in, so being back off of the water is no issue for me. Just being out there with folks of similar interest is fun.

Hope to see you out there. Glad to know that you and Cosmic have set the stage by walking in and out with packs, etc...... You've got yhe "neighbors" trained well by now. Great job! :-)

Gil

guitargeek76
10-28-2013, 23:19
Barrettgajr - thanks for the map! Looks fantastic!

Yeah, they're calling for rain and wind Friday night. Grr. I'll probably get up there early/mid afternoon Friday. I have to leave somewhat early on Saturday. Kinda sucks, but it is what it is. How far is the hike around from the south side to the north side? Might have to play around with mapping things out on Google earth. That was cool!

Frank

JollyGreen
10-29-2013, 05:52
If you back get out there in a couple of weeks I'd love to join you guys

SemperFiGuy
10-29-2013, 07:16
Guitar,

The Hike from the Southerly side to the Northerly side via hiking to the West is .34 miles.

The Hike from the Southerly side to the Northerly side via hiking to the East is .67 miles.

See Map.

http://productforums.google.com/forum/embed/?PostWizardFile=1f9dbfa8-79e7-4672-b3f3-75ed9f157ac7&sizekb=2#!topic/gec-member-centric-locations/mZ440JQXvsU

Very "doable" in either direction. For an old guy like me, I'll opt for the Westerly route.

CountryRoads
10-29-2013, 13:12
Hey guitar, the hike from the maintenance shed to the north side only takes 15 or 20 minutes. The best spots on that side are on the western end of the northern side so it wouldn't even be hiking half way around. You have to cross a small stream. There are wobbly rocks to step on...be careful!

Jolly, I'm sure we'll be out there again. We'd love to have you. I was thinking of trying to hang at Fitzgerald lake next time. It's a lot closer to me and there's a nice parking lot. Fitzgerald lake is in Florence, MA if you want to look at it. It's small and there are a lot of trails and hikers, but I think we'd have the place to ourselves in the evening. It's been a while since I hiked around there so I'll have to go back and see if there are signs saying no camping. I'm pretty sure it would be fine though. And fishing is allowed there.

I did see the weather report...hopefully we will still be able to have a fire...

CountryRoads
10-29-2013, 13:49
PARKING SITUATION
So, I just talked to Gagne and asked about parking. He said we could park 4 cars there before 9:30 PM and possibly 2 more after 9:30. So I'm thinking if no more people decide to come we will be all set for parking. I told him that we'd stop in and pay him 5 or 10 bucks. I'm going to give him $10 since we've parked there a lot and never paid him, but $5 should be fine also. If for some reason we get more people, there is a popular hiking area just before you get to Gagne's (I think it's the Mt Holyoke Range) and there is a huge parking lot, so some of us might have to coordinate our arrival times so that we could leave some cars in that parking lot. Gagne's is open until 9:30 on Friday so he should be there when all of us who are planning on going so far get there.

Look forward to seeing you all!

cosmic camper
10-29-2013, 14:03
Wowee - you guys have been busy! This is shaping up :)

Tri-pod: I've got my fingers crossed for you! The incubator is at the top of the running for my first UQ purchase and I would just LOVE to see one in action. As it is, I don't know how I'm going to survive the night... but I will! Might try the hot water Nalgene trick in combo with some reflectex, a second sleeping bag and CountryRoads' pad (if she'll let me borrow it!)

Barrett - Such a cool idea for the map! My work computer isn't able to figure it out, but I'll check it out soon!

Country Roads - Two Thumbs Up on checking with Gagnes!!!! Yipppeee! That guy is so cool :) Also - I LOVE Fitzgerald Lake! I used to do after school work out sessions with this teen in Northampton (one of the most fun jobs I've ever had) and he and I would walk through Fitz Lake all the time! It was awesome, one time we got stuck in there for like 5 hours and got super lost, only to pop out in this gloriously humongous field! Let's HAMMOCK THERE!

Jolly - HECK YEAH dude! We'll be back, time and time again - we'd love to have you!

Yippee :)

CountryRoads
10-29-2013, 16:15
Barrett, that second map was awesome too! I need to learn how to do that. I think I'm going to look for Fitzgerald lake...the hike in would probably be shorter, depending on how far around you wanted to go.

Cosmic, we'll have to hit Fitzgerald soon. It's only about 10 min. from both of us! And Nighthauk also...

And Lithia springs hangers, don't forget to stop into Gagne's. He told me he wanted to show people where to park.

SemperFiGuy
10-29-2013, 18:46
Country, Cosmic, & Western Mass Hangers:

I checked out Fitzgerald Lake in Florence. It's under a Trustee arrangement of some sort. The posted rules on their site show the following:

Regulations

Fitzgerald Lake Conservation Area Regulations
Welcome to the Fitzgerald Lake Conservation Area (FCLA). Maps are available at the North Farms Road and Moose Lodge parking lots.

To protect the wildlife and habitat of Fitzgerald Lake, we thank you for observing the following regulations:
◾Hiking, cross-country skiing, ice-skating, fishing, bird watching, and non-motorized boating (canoeing and kayaking) are allowed from dawn to dusk.
◾Dogs must be kept on leashes. Unleashed dogs may be an annoyance and a potential hazard to wildlife, people, and other dogs. Please pick up dog waste and pack it out. Mutt Mitts are available at the North Farms Road and the Moose Lodge entrances.
◾Fires, camping, and all motorized vehicles (including boats) are prohibited.
◾All wildlife, including plants and flowers are protected pursuant to law—please don’t disturb, feed or pick them.
◾Please stay on designated blazed trails (blue, white and red) within the Conservation Area. Wetlands are particularly sensitive to off-trail use. Please don’t use trails that are posted “Private Property—Keep Off”.
◾Be cautious during hunting season; hunting is allowed in the crosshatched area on the FCLA map.
◾There are no trash cans or toilet facilities at the FCLA; if you bring it in, please pack it out.

A complete list of regulations for the FCLA is available from the
Northampton Conservation Commission, City Hall, 210 Main Street, Northampton, MA 01060.

I guess we could hang there but it would have to be more or less on a stealth basis.

I'm going to do a little more research and then report back to the group.

CountryRoads
10-29-2013, 18:53
Bummer, I guess Fitzgerald is out. It would be the North Farms Rd entrance that we would take, or would have taken. I did look at it on Google Earth...looked like it could have been pretty cool, but oh well. Lithia is probably better. At Fitzgerald Lake there are a lot of wetlands surrounding the water so we probably couldn't get that close in most areas...

SemperFiGuy
10-29-2013, 19:04
Country,

Have you ever been to Chesterfield Gorge and the Gilbert Bliss State Forest?

The Gorge is run by another Trustee Group. It's a .5 mile trail along the Westfield River that has some really scenic and cool spots. Not for hanging though, just for taking in the beauty. Once you're done "sightseeing", if you continue on down the River, on the dirt road, you come to a gate marked: Gilbert Bliss State Forest. Go through the gate and continue on down the river. There are tons and I mean ton of hang sites all along the river and on both sides of the dirt road. Some great rock hangouts in the river.

I've had fires there on day trips. It's pretty secluded and no one ever bothered me. It's a reasonably popular day hike area, but the further down the river you go, the less "traffic" you have.

Might make for a hang site if we wanted to try to get something together for out that way. It's probably 20 minutes or so from Florence give or take.

Just a thought.
Gil

tri-pod bob
10-29-2013, 19:15
Wowee - you guys have been busy! This is shaping up :)

Tri-pod: I've got my fingers crossed for you! The incubator is at the top of the running for my first UQ purchase and I would just LOVE to see one in action. As it is, I don't know how I'm going to survive the night... but I will! Might try the hot water Nalgene trick in combo with some reflectex, a second sleeping bag and CountryRoads' pad (if she'll let me borrow it!)

Barrett - Such a cool idea for the map! My work computer isn't able to figure it out, but I'll check it out soon!

Country Roads - Two Thumbs Up on checking with Gagnes!!!! Yipppeee! That guy is so cool :) Also - I LOVE Fitzgerald Lake! I used to do after school work out sessions with this teen in Northampton (one of the most fun jobs I've ever had) and he and I would walk through Fitz Lake all the time! It was awesome, one time we got stuck in there for like 5 hours and got super lost, only to pop out in this gloriously humongous field! Let's HAMMOCK THERE!

Jolly - HECK YEAH dude! We'll be back, time and time again - we'd love to have you!

Yippee :)

Thanks, C.C.......I've got mine crossed, too! Since I discovered this bit of heaven called sleeping in hammocks, I've been out back in the woods here for about 75% of the nights since early July. Picked up a BIAS WW a cpl of weeks ago (all 11' x 64" of it is spoiling me :wuv: after 3 nights total use, too!!) & now my 3/4 Insultex just doesn't cut it without a lot of extra fuss. Grateful to have the HH w/SuperShelter option right now. If it doesn't arrive, it looks like Barrett also uses one that you can check out. C'mon UQ!!!:D

SemperFiGuy
10-29-2013, 19:34
I'm rooting for you Tri-Pod.

Having a good UQ is the difference between having a great time and just getting by. When I was younger, I could have slept on rocks in the snow and it would have been fun. (Well not really, but...........). Now, hanging in a hammock, if you get those darn cold spots, it's just real hard to get rid of them no matter how many shirts, stuff sacks, or other "fillers" you try to stick in between you and the abyss.

At my age now, I need the comfort of both a good UQ and a good TQ.

Anyway for all of our Western Mass Hangers, here's a Google Earth layout of the Chesterfield Gorge and then down river for about a mile and a quarter or so. Just to give you an idea of what's out that way.

If there is no interest, I have another couple of spots in mind. One is off the Mohawk Trail not too far.

Anyway, check this area out and let me know what you think.

Gil

Follow the link and then click VIEW

http://productforums.google.com/forum/embed/?PostWizardFile=c90b520f-6ea1-4fa8-a687-22ebdcb9e0bc&sizekb=1#!topic/gec-member-centric-locations/FKX_yf8ou3M

tri-pod bob
10-29-2013, 20:08
I'm rooting for you Tri-Pod.

Having a good UQ is the difference between having a great time and just getting by. When I was younger, I could have slept on rocks in the snow and it would have been fun. (Well not really, but...........). Now, hanging in a hammock, if you get those darn cold spots, it's just real hard to get rid of them no matter how many shirts, stuff sacks, or other "fillers" you try to stick in between you and the abyss.

At my age now, I need the comfort of both a good UQ and a good TQ.

Anyway for all of our Western Mass Hangers, here's a Google Earth layout of the Chesterfield Gorge and then down river for about a mile and a quarter or so. Just to give you an idea of what's out that way.

If there is no interest, I have another couple of spots in mind. One is off the Mohawk Trail not too far.

Anyway, check this area out and let me know what you think.

Gil

Follow the link and then click VIEW

http://productforums.google.com/forum/embed/?PostWizardFile=c90b520f-6ea1-4fa8-a687-22ebdcb9e0bc&sizekb=1#!topic/gec-member-centric-locations/FKX_yf8ou3M

Thanks for the rootin'......and I, too, would sleep anywhere when young. Matter of fact, I never used anything synthetic for a pad (always a wool blanket, evergreen boughs, meadow grasses, etc) unless my ex wanted to camp. Then it was a 24" high Aerobed, for Pete's sake!! Which meant packing a 6 person tent, for Pete's sake!!! For only 2 people, for Pete's sake!!!! But, she's a really good person, we're still really good friends & we're still camping together now & again! And she brings the same bed......and, unfortunately ('cuz I haul it in), the same tent. Oops, I digress...Yeah, the fuss factor to stay warm has to disappear........Comfort is my priority also! I'm closer to 60 than I am to 50, so the older bones seem to bark louder now!!

guitargeek76
10-30-2013, 09:00
barrettgajr - GREAT reporting. Thanks for all this work!

CC and CR - looks like I might have to bail this weekend. Work just isn't letting up enough for me take the time off. :-(

My coworker is back from leave on the 14th, so I'm hoping the 16/17 I'll be able to head out somewhere.

Dragonma15
10-30-2013, 10:07
Hi, new hanger here from Westfield. While I have never camped near the Chesterfield gorge, I have walked it many times fly fishing. It is a beautiful area and the fishing has always been great.
- Gregg

Nighthauk
10-30-2013, 10:24
Gregg welcome aboard. There is a very active group here in W. Mass as well as New England. Keep your eyes pealed for everything NEHHA North east Hammock Hangin Association. We out on at least three major group hangs and various other trips throughout the year. We have one coming up in January at the Chesterfield Scout Camp if you are interested. Jan 10-12 '14. Look for NEHHA Nor' Easter hang thread and the planning forum.

CountryRoads
10-30-2013, 11:31
Welcome Dragon. We're hangin this weekend in South Hadley if you want to join us.

Guitar!!!! Ok enough said! Did you get the hammock? Perhaps we could hit the Chesterfield gorge on the 16th/17th...

Barrett, I will check out the Chesterfield gorge. That looks amazing and I love the idea of not staying at a camp site where other folks will be romping around.

tri-pod bob
10-30-2013, 11:36
The Gorge is absolutely gorgeous!!! I grew up in Agawam/Feeding Hills & went there often during HS in the early 70's. Granville Gorge, too. Haven't been there since the 80's!!!!!! What have I been thinking????

SemperFiGuy
10-30-2013, 13:29
Dragon aka Gregg,

Welcome to the Western Mass Hangers thread. We're a mixed group of hammock addicts that love to share our similar interests. We vary, in age, sex and gear, but we're really one homogenous lot when it comes to hanging. We even attract GuitarGeek from one of the burrough's of NY.

Tri-Pod, Country, Cosmic, Nighthauk, et. al., The Gorge hasn't changed for many years. (well maybe some subtle changes but nothing serious :-) ).
Nighthauk, that's right out in your neck of the woods isn't it?

It could represent a good opportunity for a spot to hang along the Westfield River. The map link that I posted, if it comes out right on your computer when you view it shows a path from the parking lot down the river. The path or trail stops at about 1.3 miles give or take. You/we could really keep on going all the way down to the Knightsville Dam which is where the trail would terminate. The key to hanging there or anywhere else for that matter is to always leave the area that we hang, in better condition than when we got there. Police up the area, pick up and carry out not only our trash, but the trash of the less considerate that think that the Tooth Fairy comes in and picks it up when not putting dollars under pillows.

Anyway, on to more important things.

Guitar, sorry to hear about your work demands. I know you're charging at the bit to get into that new XLC. No worries, you'll have plenty of opportunities.

I'm hopeful of getting to the Reservoir on Saturday, a little after noon time unless something comes up. Will pack up mid-morning Sunday and head home to see what the Mrs. has in store for me on the "honey do" list.

Look forward to seeing whoever shows up.

All the best,
Gil

Nighthauk
10-30-2013, 14:13
Dragon aka Gregg,

Welcome to the Western Mass Hangers thread. We're a mixed group of hammock addicts that love to share our similar interests. We vary, in age, sex and gear, but we're really one homogenous lot when it comes to hanging. We even attract GuitarGeek from one of the burrough's of NY.

Tri-Pod, Country, Cosmic, Nighthauk, et. al., The Gorge hasn't changed for many years. (well maybe some subtle changes but nothing serious :-) ).
Nighthauk, that's right out in your neck of the woods isn't it?

It could represent a good opportunity for a spot to hang along the Westfield River. The map link that I posted, if it comes out right on your computer when you view it shows a path from the parking lot down the river. The path or trail stops at about 1.3 miles give or take. You/we could really keep on going all the way down to the Knightsville Dam which is where the trail would terminate. The key to hanging there or anywhere else for that matter is to always leave the area that we hang, in better condition than when we got there. Police up the area, pick up and carry out not only our trash, but the trash of the less considerate that think that the Tooth Fairy comes in and picks it up when not putting dollars under pillows.

Anyway, on to more important things.

Guitar, sorry to hear about your work demands. I know you're charging at the bit to get into that new XLC. No worries, you'll have plenty of opportunities.

I'm hopeful of getting to the Reservoir on Saturday, a little after noon time unless something comes up. Will pack up mid-morning Sunday and head home to see what the Mrs. has in store for me on the "honey do" list.

Look forward to seeing whoever shows up.

All the best,
Gil

Your correct it is in my home town or which I will be moving back in a couple of weeks. I have only hung in a couple of off the beaten path spots there. With that said I have a few spots to hang in around the area.

guitargeek76
10-30-2013, 16:10
I know you're charging at the bit to get into that new XLC.

You know it!!

CR, I did get it, and it's sitting there in it's stuff sack, just taunting me as I lay down in bed every night. Grr!! The only consolation is that by the 16/17 I should have my SF. :shades:

CountryRoads
10-30-2013, 17:34
Gil, I was planning on only staying Friday night, but we'll see. I would have to start hiking out around 7:30 Sunday...

Sounds like we should hang at the Chesterfield Gorge soon.

Guitar, we'll post some pictures for you!

SemperFiGuy
10-30-2013, 18:05
Country, Sorry to hear that you can only hang on Friday night. I understand though. I can only hang Saturday night. Hopefully our paths will cross on Saturday when I get there. If not, there's always another hang right around the corner. Don't hike out at 7:30 Sunday morning. Not necessary. Hike out Saturday when you have to, get settled, and then you're ready to go to wherever you have to go Sunday from the comfort of your home.

NightHauk, glad to hear from you. Glad to hear that you have some other spots to hang from. One of these week-ends, hopefully when can get the whole Western Mass folks out for a big hang. Not to worry Guitar, we're giving you honorary residence status in Western Massachusetts. You can use my Chicopee, MA address as your official Western Massachusetts local address. :-)

I'll be heading out between noon to one on Saturday and I'll see whoever is there, if anyone. Otherwise I'll have a night of solitude listening to the coyotes howl and the bears growl.

All the best to everyone. Hopefully we will post some pics next week. That's my next project. I need to figure out how to post pictures that are on my laptop onto my post. When I try and do that now, it asks me for the url of my picture. It doesn't have a URL, it's resident on my laptop. Oh well, I'll figure it out.

Later guys...................
Gil

Nighthauk
10-30-2013, 18:14
Well I hope that you all are planning to attend the NEHHA Nor' Easter hang. That IS in the center if Western Mass. In Chesterfield. Before that is an iffy for me. In Nov. I am moving back to chesterfield so that takes me out of the field.

SemperFiGuy
10-30-2013, 18:14
Frankie, oh Frankie..........

This is your new Warbonnet XLC........ calling. Take me out of this stuff sack and get me into the piney woods.......... Soon !!!!

Dragonma15
10-30-2013, 18:17
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. And thank you for the invitation this weekend. I might be able to swing by Saturday day, but I wouldn't be able to stay over night.

cosmic camper
10-30-2013, 20:41
Bummer Guitar!!! "Sooooooooon" calls your new hammock ;)

I think it'll be just Friday for me, I'd be comin into the woods around 10PM Saturday evening if I wanted to do the second night... Though I am definitely convinceable if anyone wants to stay up and make a fire!

Welcome Dragon - and do come by, I'm really lookin forward to hiking around on Saturday!

And a big Y E S to the propse Gorge trip... Which gets me thinking... I would really love to do some Connecticut River hangin next spring, I have access to a canoe and would love to arrange some multiple day canoe based hanging adventures!

So many plans, so little time!

Over and out :)

SemperFiGuy
10-30-2013, 20:42
No worries Dragon. If you can't stay Saturday night, come on over during the day. I hope to be there by 1pm on Saturday if not a little sooner. Be nice to meet you.

NightHauk, I'll be signing up for the NEHHA in Chesterfield. Hopefully I'll be able to hang with you before then, but if not.......... then certainly at the Nor' Easter.

All the Best,
Gil

CountryRoads
10-31-2013, 18:09
Hey folks, so cosmic and I will be hanging on the northwestern end of Lithia Friday night. We'll see you Saturday! Wow I have a lot to do tonight, still getting the gear organized...

The weather report says the rain should stop in the early afternoon Friday and the lows are only in the 40's and 50's for Friday and Saturday night. For anyone who's not planning on staying overnight, you can drive down Lithia Springs Road and park at the end of it.

SemperFiGuy
10-31-2013, 18:53
Country, Cosmic,

Unfortunately I'm not coming in until around noon to 1pm on Saturday. I will be staying over Saturday night so I'll park at Gagne's and throw them a $10 and let them know how appreciative we are. I'll also give them my cell # in case they needs to reach me.

I hope I run into you guys before you have to leave. I'm coming up to the Maintenance shed, turning west and then heading around to the North side, via the westerly route. (20 minutes or so).

If I miss you Saturday, I'll be seeing you soon enough at the NEHHA Nor'Easter and maybe before if we decide to do an impromptu hang near the Chesterfield Gorge, somewhere along the Westfied River. My next opportunity after this week-end will be Friday night, November 15th. Check your calendars.

All the best!
Gil

CountryRoads
10-31-2013, 19:33
We will still be kickin around Saturday. I'm sure we'll be able to catch each other. You can see people from across the reservoir and probably even shout across and be heard. You might want to consider hanging a little to the east of the shed where there's a spectacular view and a couple perfect hanging trees right next to the water. The more I think about it, the hike around would probably only take half an hour...when we hiked around the water we really meandered and stopped a lot.

We have left a note on the dashboard of the car before with a cell phone number and a message telling people to call if the car needs to be moved.

Well, see you this weekend Gil. I'm glad there are possibly a few HF people coming out this weekend. I'm looking forward to trying out some new gear!

SemperFiGuy
10-31-2013, 20:24
Sound great Country. I'll find you guys. If I don't come around to the North side, i'll set up where you recommended, just East of the shed on the Southerly side.

See you soon.

Gil

cosmic camper
11-01-2013, 11:22
Whooo Buddy! This is exciting - I am thinking strongly about joining you Barrett for a Saturday evening hang; my buddy Duncan is considering bundling up and spending his very first night EVER in a hammock with us! We'd be coming in around 10PM; crazy late but I'll prep some fire wood and be ready to go when we arrive. If that sounds good to you then I'd love for us all to join forces! Otherwise, looking forward to romping on Saturday and for the peaceful serenity of the forest this evenin' :) :) :)

CountryRoads
11-01-2013, 14:14
Awww man, now I'm considering staying Sat. night too...

SemperFiGuy
11-01-2013, 15:57
Cosmic, (Country),

I am a definite for Saturday Noon. It would be great if you were able to come back Saturday night. We can break Duncan in the right way. Make him walk backwards into the water, repeat the alphabet backwards three times in Pig Latin and sleep the first night with his hammock on the ground and his feet in the air.

No, I'm just kidding. It would be great to have you guys come back. The question is, if you're coming in that late, then I think I will set up on the Southerly side for sure (just East of the Shed) as Country had suggested so that you guys don't have to hump all the way around the reservoir in the dark. (That is, assuming that you're able to come back in the first place.). I'll be there one way or the other. I'm planning on heading out sometime mid-morning on Sunday.

In any event, I'll most probably see you and Country when I get there tomorrow noon to one.

All the best!
Gil

CountryRoads
11-01-2013, 16:05
We're headed out pretty soon!!! See ya there Gil. I'm something for you!

CountryRoads
11-01-2013, 16:05
I meant to say I'm bringing something for you!

SemperFiGuy
11-01-2013, 20:15
Thanks Chelsea. Looking forward to seeing you guys tomorrow.
Gil

SemperFiGuy
11-02-2013, 19:34
Cosmic, Country,
So great to hang with you guys today. Always nice to put a face to a name.
The wind kicked up tonight. Pulled the stakes out of my tarp lines. I re-hung my hammocck to be on the direct side so that my tarp would break the wond.
Now 8:30pm, a little better, but threat of showers later.
Anyway, keep in mind the 15th of Nov. for Chesterfield Gorge.
We'll talk soon.
Chelsea, did I tell you how Great your DIY tarp was? You did an awesome job.
Later guys.......
Gil

CountryRoads
11-03-2013, 11:50
Cosmic and I had a blast Friday night, then hung out with Gil for a while Saturday. We did get a little lost in the dark and couldn't find our way back to the reservoir so had to just stop and camp where we were. We realized later that the water was 20 feet behind us. It was another great Lithia Springs hang! Gil it's too bad we couldn't hang with you Saturday night. I hope you had a good night!

For you western mass people (and guitar, the honorary western masser), we're going to try to hang at the Chesterfield Gorge November 15th and 16th. So clear your calenders! And Gil, do you know if we can park there all night?

SemperFiGuy
11-04-2013, 07:09
Country,

When you first turn into the Gorge area there is a small parking lot that is operated by the Trustees of the Reservation or something like that on the left. They charge a couple of bucks to park and then you can go see the Gorge from their trail. (It's short). No overnight parking there.

A little further down there is a parking area on the right that you can leave a vehicle on all night. From there, you would have to hump all of your gear in and your car or truck is pretty exposed to anyone else driving by.

The better option is.......... If you take the dirt access road that paralells the Westfield River you can drive down there quite a distance. All the way to the Gilbert A. Bliss State Forest Gate. You can park anywhere along that dirt road. In some areas there are a few "cut-offs" where you can pull a vehicle over so as not to block other vehicles from continuing on. Again, to the best of my knowledge, you can park all night there. Nothing posted to the contrary last time I was there.

If you get a chance, you might want to try to get out there for an hour or so in the next couple of weeks. It's not that far from the Noho/Florence area. Check out the lay of the land and also scout out some probable hang areas.

If I get the chance sometime this week I'll try and do the same.

Gil

tri-pod bob
11-05-2013, 09:48
Alright.....the 0* Incubator is in my hands as of last Friday! But, unfortunately, I'll be out of town during the Gorge hang, dammit! Also have a problem with the Whoopie Slings I rec'd with the newly acquired BIAS WW. Can't safely use them as they are according to my inquiries, so I'm going to send the Dutch hooks from them to another member in NJ to have a new set made. Thankfully, I made my own 12' straps that I can use w/biners for the time being. I'll be hanging in the woods out back for now. If things change on the calendar for me, I've got Gorgetime penciled in as 1st priority back-up. We'll see how that goes! Glad to hear that you folks had an enjoyable time this past weekend! Looking forward to hanging out with you all at some point!

guitargeek76
11-05-2013, 10:55
CR - I'm putting it in my calendar. Should be able to make it there. I can do Saturday into Sunday if that works for people. No way I can get that Friday off. My coworker is coming back from maternity the day before, and I have a LOT to catch her up on.

CountryRoads
11-05-2013, 14:15
Bob, that's too bad about your whoopie slings but good to hear you got the UQ!

Guitar, I think I'm going to hang Friday and Saturday but will have to be out of there by noon or so to get to work Sunday afternoon.

Barrett, I may try to get out to the gorge this coming Saturday (11/9) to take a look around.

SemperFiGuy
11-05-2013, 15:08
Country, Good idea to make a little recon mission to check out the lay of the land. Scope out the preferred section of the River. When you see the layout, you'll see that you can be on the left side of the road, (heading in) which is nearest the river, of on the right side of the road, with a little space between you and the River.

Tri-Pod, contracts on the 0d incubator. I have one. It's awesome. I just used it over the week-end at Lithia Springs Reservoir where I met up with Cosmic Camper and Country Roads. We had fun hanging. I stayed over Saturday night. Got chilly, but no worries. Sorry to hear about your Whoopie Sling dilemma. That's always a pain in the arse. But, ya gotta do what ya gotta do. Hope to see you out on the trail one of these days soon.

GG76 - Frank. That XLC is still crying out to you man. Hope you can make it on the week-end of the 15th/16th for Chesterfield Gorge. I am good for Friday night the 15th. Still working on Saturday night.

Cosmic, I got your poles set aside so that the next time I see you I can get them to you. Hope all is well.

See you guys soon.
Gil

cosmic camper
11-05-2013, 15:10
Hey All - wahoo, what a splendid evenin' under the stars last Friday for me and Country Roads... we missed the waters edge but found an absolutely lovely little campsite and made a big fire and spread all kinds of cheer in the silent wilderness of Lithia Springs. We left the place cleaner than we found it and even fashioned a tidy fire pit out of some nearby stones for future campers.

We met up with barrettgajr around noon the next day, who signaled us by shouting "CHELSEA" from across the reservoir :) What a guy; we three chatted and admired Country Roads' DIY tarp while I made myself some homemade stew by the water's edge. Lots of encouraging discussion about the potential of this spot for some small group hangs as one of the water's banks has lots and lots of great trees for hanging and a nice little fire pit. Lithia is a sweet spot in that it's far enough out of the way (no car noise or light pollution) without being a crazy hike (perfect for a weekend... but you WILL sweat getting up the hill on the mile hike in!

We also saw the biggest spider I ever did see and made a couple of little videos - hopefully they can get on here! Double hoping that an amateur entomologist will be able to identify the spider too... it was a nice blend of awesome and terrifying.

I am VERY sorry to say that I won't be able to make the Gorge trip. An opportunity for work came up and I have a very hard time turning down any chance to make some extra money (thanks, Dad). I know you all will have a great time!

Bob - let me know how that incubator works out for you - barrettgajr loves his and it's at the TOP of my purchase list... hopefully 3 weeks away!!!!

SemperFiGuy
11-05-2013, 19:46
Tri-Pod,

My earlier message should have said congrats, not contracts....... on your new 0deg Incubator. Geesh, my goggles must have fogged up and not communicated the typo to my fingers. Hope you get to try it out soon.

Gil

SemperFiGuy
11-05-2013, 19:47
Cosmic....

Sorry to hear that you're not going to be able to make the Gorge, but........ If you have a chance to make some $$$ then that's what you need to do. It'll help take the sting out of your impending Incubator purchase.

Talk to you soon.

Gil

SemperFiGuy
11-05-2013, 20:04
Hanging Saturday Afternoon with Country Roads on the left, and Cosmic Camper on the right. Two great kids and very knowledgeable Hammock Hangers.

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/3/7/3/7/5/img_0756_thumb.jpg

We had a nice visit.

See you guys soon !
Gil

SemperFiGuy
11-05-2013, 20:07
A better post of the same picture. Just getting the hang of posting pictures. thanks for your patience.

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/3/7/3/7/5/img_0756.jpg

Country Roads on the left and Cosmic Camper on the right.

tri-pod bob
11-05-2013, 20:49
Tri-Pod,

My earlier message should have said congrats, not contracts....... on your new 0deg Incubator. Geesh, my goggles must have fogged up and not communicated the typo to my fingers. Hope you get to try it out soon.

Gil

Thanks much! Y'know....I read it as 'congrats' & didn't catch the typo. I must be slipping in my old age, because, if I have any OCD tendencies, it's with the written word....especially in print. I've been told (admonished, even?) by some family/friends that I should have been an editor or proofreader or anything similar in the publishing industry. I did have designs on becoming an English teacher at one time. Glad THAT phase passed! Can't see this guy stuck in a room full of kids all day long. My firefighting career was definitely the job for me! Thanks for posting the pic, BTW.....it's a beauty spot. I'll be setting my new kit up tomorrow, out in the 'back 40'. With some help from Fallkniven & others here on HF, we came to the conclusion that I have UCRs, not Whoopie Slings. It's a better set-up, in his opinion. More user friendly, especially under a load or when wet & half cordage weight vs WSs. Tomorrow's time in the woods :D is my kind of classroom time, indeed!!

guitargeek76
11-06-2013, 10:06
Cosmic - extra cash is always good. This gear doesn't pay for itself! But I feel your pain, having to work instead of being out and about. Been the story of my life the past 3 months.

Barrettgajr - the XLC is definitely still calling. And it's being joined in beautiful harmony by my new SF.

CountryRoads
11-06-2013, 19:08
Hey Gil, I'm glad you figured out how to post pictures! I looked through your gallery. You got some good ones. Thanks for posting that. My problem is that I can't get them from my phone to my computer. PC's and Mac's don't get along that well... SkyPainter was telling me he posts from his phone but I haven't figured that out either; just haven't really had the time to mess with it much.

Cosmic, it won't be the same without you...and you're gonna be so jealous. I got another down bag at the Salvation Army today. It's an old Sierra Designs, unfortunately it is bright purple! It's definitely thicker than the EMS one I got a couple weeks ago.

I hope we get some more HF folks!!!!

Tripod, are you going to make it out to the gorge with us?

SemperFiGuy
11-06-2013, 19:50
Here are a few more pictures of the Lithia Springs Reservoir hang this past week-end with Barrettgajr, Country Roads, and Cosmic Camper:

A view from the southerly side to the northerly side
https://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/3/7/3/7/5/img_0742.jpg

Cosmic Camper & Country Roads hitting the trail.......
http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/3/7/3/7/5/img_0759.jpg

SemperFiGuy
11-06-2013, 20:19
Room with a view.
View Sunday morning from my Hennessy Safari looking across Lithia Springs Reservoir. (Looking through my no see'em netting)

https://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/3/7/3/7/5/img_0817.jpg

Nighthauk
11-06-2013, 23:15
It looks wonderful there. Wish that I could have made it up there with you guys.

tri-pod bob
11-07-2013, 00:30
This hammock hangers world is great! With help from members here, especially Fallkniven in NJ, I learned something new.....UCRs! That's what came with my new BIAS WWM. I knew a little about whoopies thru Shug's vids, but not UCRs. I've been using a HH explorer w/biners & rings so far. Anyway, as of today, this guy is 'hangable' in his 1st UL kit!! I put it up today in the woods out back in my usual spot. Nice rig...especially with the Incubator slung under it. I'm still scheduled to be out of town on the 15th & 16th, but if it falls through, the gorge is next up on the 'what else can I do' list. If I do end up going, I'll have the Hennessy, 'cuz my HH Hex is going to 2QZQ on Sat. for doors. Need some kind of tarp, so the stock asym will go back on for the interim. I'll still use the UQ, instead of the SuperShelter, on the HH, for sure. Another set of nice pics.......typically New England!!

SemperFiGuy
11-07-2013, 07:13
NH, One of these days you'll get out with us. If not, we'll see you at the now infamous, upcoming NEHHA Nor'Easter in January.

Tri-Pod, great to hear that you're happy with your new set up. Always exciting. Keep us posted on your door mod with the Hennessy Hex. I had a WB SF stolen last summer. Currently I have a HH, but I miss the doors. If you give a good report on the door mod, I might be inclined to follow your lead.

Many thanks,
Gil

guitargeek76
11-07-2013, 13:59
I had a WB SF stolen last summer.

Stolen?? :scared:

NOT cool!

SemperFiGuy
11-07-2013, 20:05
GG76 (Frank),

Not cool is an understatement........ I had all my gear stolen. A Warbonnet Blackbird, a Superfly, a DIY UQ that my brother had made years ago, my sleeping bag, my pack........... It was a bloody nightmare. My Van was broken into. I estimated the theft at close to $1,200. Realistically, I realized after I reported it, that it was more like $1,500. (No insurance).

But, slowly but surely I have been replacing it. I'm in pretty good shape now. Still odds and ends to deal with but I can go out and live in the woods for a couple of weeks now and I'd be ok. :-)

I hope you get the opportunity to get out in your "Convertible" real soon. That has to be killing you to have that stuff sack sitting there beckoning you to hang it............. Ouch !

All the best. Hope to see you out on the trail soon.

Gil

JoshuaTrees
11-07-2013, 21:01
GG76 (Frank),

Not cool is an understatement........ I had all my gear stolen. A Warbonnet Blackbird, a Superfly, a DIY UQ that my brother had made years ago, my sleeping bag, my pack........... It was a bloody nightmare. My Van was broken into. I estimated the theft at close to $1,200. Realistically, I realized after I reported it, that it was more like $1,500. (No insurance).
:scared:
aww man that's horrible. I have a knot in my stomach from reading that.

the worst part is the trash that stole your kit probably has no idea what that stuff is worth.

guitargeek76
11-07-2013, 23:45
You meet so many great people here, it's hard to remember there are still people out there who really suck. Hope karma bites them in the a$$ soon. (And maybe a Grizzly, too!)

Definitely hoping to make the Gorge hang next weekend. My coworker will be back and SAID she wants the OT. As long as she doesn't change her mind I plan on being up there by 2pm.

SemperFiGuy
11-08-2013, 02:03
:scared:
aww man that's horrible. I have a knot in my stomach from reading that.

the worst part is the trash that stole your kit probably has no idea what that stuff is worth.

Hangin Tuff,

You are right on the money. Whoever got my stuff would look at a UQ and think that it was a messed up sleeping bag without a zipper. Clueless as to what to do with a Trangia stove.

Anyway, have a great day. Hope to see you on the trail one day soon.

GG hopefully next Friday.

Gil

guitargeek76
11-08-2013, 07:59
Gil - I can't do Friday. I'll be there Saturday into Sunday.

EDIT - may have spoken too soon. :closedeyes: Coworker may not be back when she said, which means I'll have to work next weekend as well. :thumbdown:

SemperFiGuy
11-08-2013, 19:22
Frank (GG76), Country, Cosmic, and anyone else interested in Chesterfield Gorge.

I would recommend that we reconsider next week-end at Chesterfield Gorge. I got the opportunity to go up there this afternoon. The area from the Trustees of the Reservation, (the actual parking area for the Gorge) down to what used to be the gate to Gilbert Bliss State Forest is now not allowing parking on River Road, (the road that parallels the river for a bit). When you drive down 7/10's of a mile, you now come to a new big welcoming sign to Gilbert Bliss that now includes new language, NO CAMPING.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=3134&pictureid=21260

I backtracked back up to the Reservation to see if there was anything respectable for 3 to 6 hammock hangers and the answer is no. I had intended that we all get into Gilbert Bliss and camp inside there.

An older fellow coming out of the area of the Chesterfield 4 Seasons Club, which is on the right of the Trustees of the Reservation site told me that we aren't allowed to park in their parking lot and that they've had a lot of trouble with kids up there this year trashing the river bank, and they are being hyper vigilante right now.

Interpretation = We're not welcome.

So........................ Plan be would be to:

A. Blow off next week-end entirely;
B. Do another trip to Lithia Springs Reservoir;
C. Go to the Group Camping area at DAR State Forest (Goshen), which, according to the DCR State Park Web site allows all season camping, but in the winter, it must be in the Group area.

I'm not working Monday, so I may head up to DAR on Sunday afternoon, Hang there Sunday night, and see how it is. I've never been there before but I'm told it's a nice area.

I'm open for other suggestions if anyone else knows of a spot that we'd be welcome. My only issue (personal issue) is that my left shoulder is still on the mend, so humping into someplace with any amount of distance will be an issue. The hike into Lithia is about my max for the time being until my shoulder is totally healed.

Any suggestions ???

Thanks,
Gil

Nighthauk
11-08-2013, 20:11
I might be able to check out another spot in west chesterfield for you this weekend. That I need to check out myself.

Also I would check in the DAR park to see if the group site is being used.

SemperFiGuy
11-08-2013, 20:20
NH (Tim),

That would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much. If you get a chance, please do check out the spot in West Chesterfield. Let us know what you think.

With regard to the DAR Park Group Site, you are absolutely right, I do plan on checking it out. I'm going to go up there on Sunday afternoon. If the Group Site is available, I'm going to hang up my Hennessy and stay over night. I'll also check it out to see if it would be available for the following week-end.

Country Roads, Cosmic Camper and I have been trying to put together a couple of impromptu hangs between now and the NEHHA Nor' Easter that you have so generously been devoting your time to.

I would appreciate hearing back from you on the West Chesterfield spot. If you don't get to it, no worries, we'll come up with something. We always have Lithia Springs Reservoir as a proven backup.

All the best to you, the Mrs. and the little "Hauks"......

Gil

Nighthauk
11-08-2013, 20:40
Tell you what. If you want you can give me a call when you are coming into chesterfield and we can take a look at the site. I can show where it is and I can check it out. I plan to be in Chesterfield or about most of the day.

CountryRoads
11-09-2013, 09:38
Gil, thanks for checking that out. It would have sucked to show up only to have to leave. I hope NH's site works out and I may be able to join you Sunday night, but I'm working until 5 so it would be later.

SemperFiGuy
11-10-2013, 11:11
NH (Tim),

Thank you so much for the generous offer. I'm still in Chicopee as we speak (Sunday) and am not quite sure when I'm going to be heading up. Still cleaning up some stuff on the "Honey Do" list. Rather than having you wonder if I'm coming, I'm going to opt to go up to DAR this afternoon to the Group site area. I can't conceive that there will be any groups up there. Hang my Hennessy, put on the Incubator and hang for the night. Want to test out the Burrow also.

I would like to take you up at some point on your offer to show us some an alternative site in Chesterfield. I'm sure Country Roads, Cosmic Camper and some of the other Western Mass hangers would be interested. It's tough finding spots where we're welcome.

Again, many thanks for your offer. Stay and play with the family. I'll talk to you soon.

Country, I'm not sure when I'm heading up, but will text you when I get there. If you want to come up tonight, by all means would love to have you, but, on the other hand, if you don't want to stumble around in the dark in unfamiliar territory, I completely understand. No worries.

Thanks to all.
Gil

CountryRoads
11-11-2013, 10:33
So Gil and I hung at the DAR last night. The wind was ferocious and it rained on and off and it got down to the mid-20's! But I was toasty...the tarp doors are amazing at stopping the wind. I could hear it but I couldn't feel it. The group site there is nice. There's a loop with a bunch of small sites, each with a picnic table and fire pit, then there's a giant fire pit in the middle with seating around it and a bunch of picnic tables. No where to rig a giant tarp from in case of rain though...but nice out house and a small pond. We need to get some more western mass people out there!

Nighthauk
11-11-2013, 10:50
We are actually planning the spring hang there. We just have to set the reservations for it.

SemperFiGuy
11-12-2013, 20:42
Country is right. That wind was screaming Sunday night. Ambient temp at the low point was 27. With the winds as they were, i'd guess the wind chill was probably sub 20.

That would pit it in the Shug Emery category of cold........ Wooooo buddy !!!

Good job Country. Your tarp did the job keeping the wind out. My 0 degree held up to its claim. Only problem I had was cold feet. Should have pit my reflectix under them and that probably would have solved that problem.

The best to all !

CountryRoads
11-13-2013, 18:43
Hey folks,

Just thinking about this weekend and wondering how many people are still interested in trying to hang somewhere? Give a shout out if you want to try to put something together. So far I think it's just Guitar (possibly) and Barrettgajr and myself who are thinking of trying to get out this weekend. We'd love to have more HF people. The way my schedule is looking I will probably only hang one night (I have a lot of school work to do) but I could hang either Friday or Saturday depending on who can hang when. We have yet to determine the spot since the Chesterfield Gorge fell through, but it will be in Western Mass probably in or around the Pioneer Valley.

So chime in if you're interested...

SemperFiGuy
11-13-2013, 19:31
Country, GG76,

I am just back in town from a short business trip. I just found out that I have to attend a hearing in Boston Friday for one of my client's and won't be back to Western MA until after 6pm. That was my night to hang.

Given the time that I'll be getting back, I'm going to have to pass on this week-end. The Mrs. and I have a commitment for Saturday evening.

I'll start looking at some more dates between now and the Nor'Easter. Sorry for the false start.

Thanks to all.

Gil

guitargeek76
11-13-2013, 22:41
My coworker decided she's not coming back till mid December. I'm stuck working this weekend. The project is over this weekend, so I'm hoping to have some freedom after this.

tri-pod bob
11-13-2013, 23:09
Hey, CR.......I might be able to do a Sat nite hang. I can't finalize until mid-afternoon tomorrow, unfortunately. I'll post as soon as I know for sure.

cosmic camper
11-14-2013, 13:00
Hey Peeps - lots of great info on here, you've all been busy as usual! Country Roads sent me the happy news that her insulation system is working like a charm, and I'm happy to read that CR and Barrett made it out last weekend - I was swimming in Hammock Envy :)

I would LOVE to do this weekend, but this one and next one are out due to work obligations - believe me, I ain't complainin' - and my new schedule/organize-my-life system are keeping me very busy (too busy to forum as much as I'd like)... but it won't be too long before my incubator is on it's way and I am very very very hopeful that some forum folk will come hang while I test it out when the magic day arrives! Maybe the first or second December weekend?

It would be nice to try some new spots... I'll start asking around for camp-friendly Western MA sites!

CountryRoads
11-14-2013, 13:50
Hey Tri-pod, so looks like it's just you and I. I'm thinking maybe we should try another weekend. I might be able to hang next Friday night but then I won't have any weekends until December. So let me know what you think.

Guitar, Barrett, Cosmic, no worries. I do have a lot to do this weekend. Big paper due Sunday night so it's probably better if I don't camp. But tri-pod if you really wanted to go I could always be convinced otherwise!

cosmic camper
11-14-2013, 14:51
Alright guys... two new suggestions coming in. Maybe Barrett can google map these with his sophisticated techmology?

Tulley Trail in Royalston MA
Mt. Orient in... somewhere?

I've done some disc golf in Royalston and bet that'd be a great place to hang. The folks who gave these suggestions say they are camper friendly!

cosmic camper
11-14-2013, 14:57
ALSO:

http://www3.amherst.edu/~acoc/website/trails/menu.htm

CountryRoads
11-14-2013, 19:46
Good info in that link Cosmic. I hadn't thought about any of those spots...

tri-pod bob
11-14-2013, 20:24
Hey Tri-pod, so looks like it's just you and I. I'm thinking maybe we should try another weekend. I might be able to hang next Friday night but then I won't have any weekends until December. So let me know what you think.

Guitar, Barrett, Cosmic, no worries. I do have a lot to do this weekend. Big paper due Sunday night so it's probably better if I don't camp. But tri-pod if you really wanted to go I could always be convinced otherwise!

CR: No problem putting it off on Sat. Going to a wedding that morning, so it'll be easy to continue the party instead of bailing out at 3 or 4. We'll see what next month brings. Peace.

SemperFiGuy
11-14-2013, 20:25
Cosmic,

Nice to hear from you. Glad your well and glad you're getting the work to get closer to that Incubator. I can tell you that after last week-end, Country and I both survived a mega windy night and wind chills that dipped sub-20's. The wind sounded like a freight train bowling through the trees. It was pretty cool.

When the time comes, I'm sure Country and I and a few others will be ready to hang with you on the maiden launch of your Incubator.

Tri-Pod, We'll be sure to let you know when we're going to do a early to mid-December hang. Hopefully you'll be able to join us. We'll call it a shake down hang pre-Nor'Easter.

Regarding spots to hang............ NH has a spot in Chesterfield that he said might work. I need to follow-up with Tim and see if he and I can hook up in the next two or three weeks to check it out. Country and I know that if all else fails, we can go to DAR State Forest to the Group area. There is no lack of trees and we had the place to ourselves. Cosmic, I'll check out some of the areas that you pointed out and see what I can come up with. (I have your trekking poles put aside, so when I see you, they're yours.)

GG76 - Frank, I'm glad to hear that the project is coming to an end so that you can get some new found freedom on the week-ends. By now your XLC has to be whining out loud like a kid crying for attention.

Happy trails to all. Hope to see all of you out there soon.

Gil

cosmic camper
11-15-2013, 22:07
Work Weekends: 1 down, 2 to go. Tomorrow I work for an agency that pays handsomly for some of my favorite work ever - INCUBATOR... HERE I COME!

:) :) :)

SemperFiGuy
11-18-2013, 11:43
Country, Cosmic, Tri-Pod, GG76, NH,

Thanks to NightHauk (Tim), I was able to get my Forum Moniker changed to a more appropriate Forum type name. Much appreciate Tim's efforts on my behalf. He's a stand up guy and we're luck to have him on the Forum.

Gil

tri-pod bob
11-18-2013, 12:37
Finally legit, eh? SemperFiGuy has a good ring to it! I was a Navy tactical air controller (TACRON 1) & some of the guys in my squadron were Marine pilots. A USMC Major who drove A-6s, and an Army Ranger chopper driver (also a Major) became 2 of my best friends, even though the 'Os' & 'Es' were not supposed to be frat brothers. They both started their military careers as enlisted grunts in Nam & opted to go to OCS to get off of the jungle floor. Also spent my FAC training time with a couple of RECON units while I was in the Phillipine jungles. So, I was an 'honorary Marine' for a total of 6 weeks! With that kind of experience, I should be able to get along quite well with ya....for a "squid"!! LMAO

raiffnuke
11-18-2013, 13:02
Hey now! keep that squid comment to yourself, or this bubblehead may get involved in the discussion! :D

tri-pod bob
11-18-2013, 14:12
Hey now! keep that squid comment to yourself, or this bubblehead may get involved in the discussion! :D

Y'know....I was never assigned to a ship (always TAD to Admiral's Staff), except for stuff like trips to the western Pacific or shakedown cruises. But when I came off of those 2 TAC training trips, I looked pretty ragged after 3 weeks in the jungle. After the 1st, I had to muster topside with my squadron (16 of us) & one ship's company Ensign actually walked up to me & questioned why I was out of ranks......I told him I was with my unit & he thought I was a "Snipe" :eek: from the bilge rat brigade!!! From that day forward, the ship's company guys who knew me nicknamed me "The AirSnipe"!! I still smile when I think of that greenhorn Ensign & what I was able to do to him when he had to go through our "Shellback" initiation when he crossed the equator for the 1st time! Great memories! :D

SemperFiGuy
11-18-2013, 18:24
Tri-Pod,

Yeah, finally a legit Forum name. I don't know what I was thinking when I registered. (Or wasn't thinking). In any event, Tim did a herculean job getting me legitimized. :)

I don't mean to stay off topic, so this will be my last post here about the service. After this, we'll start a separate thread in the Off Topics secton if necessary. Thanks for the Moderator's one time indulgence.

I have nothing but respect for Sailors. If you think about the History of the Navy and the History of the Corps, they parallel each other in terms of effectiveness. If it wasn't for the Navy, the Marine Corps would not be able to claim "on the air, the land and sea......."

I am one of three Marines in our family. My dad was an old Mustanger. Spent 23 years in and retired as a Lt. Col. I was next, six years total enlistment. Got out but should have stayed in. My wife at the time wasn't cut out for the life and I gave it up. My number one son just retired last year. Another Mustanger. He wen in during Desert Storm, spent his 23 years and retired as a Major. We all have the same name. My Dad, then me as Junior and my son as the III.

Remind me at the Nor'Easter to tell you an ironic story about my Dad and my Grandson. (He's the IV by the way.). We've already told him that if he doesn't go in the Marine Corps, we're changing his name to anything other than ours.

Anyway, a great Forum with great people. Look forward to the Winter Hang. Should be a blast.

My son by the way was with the 3 MAW out of El Toro when he went over to Desert Storm in the early 1990's.

Ironically My Dad, me, and my son were all in the S-2 shop. I keep telling them that Intel in the USMC is an oxymoron, but no one seems to listen. Just kidding. It's the real deal. Best boots on the ground intel you can imagine.

All the best!
Gil

SemperFiGuy
11-19-2013, 22:29
Country, Cosmic, Tri-Pod, Nitehauk, GG76(Frank), Raif, and all Western Mass Hangers.....

Maybe an impromptu hang on the 6th and or 7th of December at DAR State Forest Group Site. Still testing out gear for the Nor' Easter. If anyone is interested, let me know and I'll make the arrangements.

Maybe Cosmic will have his Incubator by then.

Hope everyone is well.

Gil

Nighthauk
11-19-2013, 22:41
Uhgg I won't be able to make this one either. I am very jealous on how often you guys seem to get out. And I am all excited because I just got my shipping notice from Warbonnet saying that either my spindrift sock or my full length winter lynx or both should be here by this Thursday. I am hoping Both. I also just got my CF tarp in Last thursday as well.

Nighthauk.

SemperFiGuy
11-20-2013, 07:22
No Worries Tim. A couple of us just usually throw out a couple of dates and then see who can join. Very unplanned and very informal. The Dec 6/7 dates are actually long lead times.

Hey, congrats on your new gear. I think you're gonna really love that new Lynx, and coupled with the Spindrift Sock you should be more than toasty. Let me know what you think of the CF Tarp once you've had a chance to try it out. It's tempting, but the price is steep for my budget.

All the best. See you out on the trail.

Gil

Nighthauk
11-20-2013, 08:31
I was actually able to get the tarp out last weekend at a scout campout. It was a beautiful night with clear skies and a full moon. That was cool seeing the moon through the tarp. I enjoyed it a lot. I haven't backpacked with it yet and I have only had it out that one time. Will give more later.
This year I am hoping to beat my record of last year of -3* that I hit twice last year. This time around I have trees right outside that I can hang in quickly and random nights. :D

raiffnuke
11-20-2013, 10:06
This year I am hoping to beat my record of last year of -3* that I hit twice last year. This time around I have trees right outside that I can hang in quickly and random nights. :D

You and me both! I now have a place in my backyard to hang, so winter testing here I come! :D

Nighthauk
11-20-2013, 10:30
And you have a nice incubator as well to get you in some low temps.

raiffnuke
11-20-2013, 10:31
And you have a nice incubator as well to get you in some low temps.

Yes, yes I do! Thanks Tim!

cosmic camper
11-20-2013, 12:32
Dec 6/7 are A-OK for me, and I think my incubator will be here by then (I figure I'll order it on Friday, give it 2 weeks, should be here around then!)

I can't do 2 nights but one is a GO - I'm putting it in the calendar!

In other news, my co-worker found me a manual on food dehydration put out by the gov't in 1979 (awesome find) and it has complete plans to build your own dehydrator out of parts that any home depot would have for cheap $$... I might try to make that happen too, so if it's a go y'all might be enjoying some DIY camp food, cosmic-style :)

JollyGreen
11-20-2013, 13:41
2 weeks? Good luck!

SemperFiGuy
11-20-2013, 13:48
Hey Cosmic,

That's a great find on the food dehydrator. I think I'm going to get into that also. I made a batch of Chili this week for the family, and as I was eating it, I was thinking how cool it would be to take the remaining Chili and dehydrate and vacuum seal it for a hang. Please keep us posted if you pursue that.

Regarding the 6 and 7th. It may be easier to say the 7th. Fridays always end up going crazy on everyone and then we all get split up with some going on Friday and some on Saturday, but never together.

I'm going to shoot for arriving at Saturday noon. That gives plenty of time to gather fire wood, set up camp, etc....... Also, if we get a nose count, I can plan on bringing some steaks and potatos so that we can cook the steaks on the grill and bake the potatos in the fire pit. (Butter, sour cream, chives, bacon bits, etc..... fully loaded).

Anyway, see if that works. Will also touch base with Country to see how her schedule is looking for the 7th.

Hope you get your Incubator in time for that hang assuming you can make it. It would be a perfect time to test out your new gear.

Nighthauk has some new stuff coming, but I think he's has the luxury, like Raif, of being able to test it in the back yard. I have a back yard, but with the conspicuous absence of cooperating trees. I guess I could build a stand, but....................... heading off to the woods is always fun for me.

Anyway, stay in touch and let me know what you think.

All the best,
Gil

SemperFiGuy
11-20-2013, 14:01
Suggested Hiking and Hanging Spots in Western Massachusetts

In follow-up to Cosmic Camper's suggestions a few weeks ago, I followed up in order to gather some info/intel on the Tully Trail in Royalston and Mt. Orient in Amherst.

I am putting in two links that will take you to the sites that I checked out. They are full of info and Tully Trail and Campground, in particular, looks to be a place that we should all hang at sometime.

In any event, thanks Brian for the great suggestions. Here are the links.

http://www.summitpost.org/mount-orient/758825

http://www.thetrustees.org/places-to-visit/places-to-stay/tully-lake-campground/tully-trail.html

http://www.thetrustees.org/assets/documents/places-to-visit/trailmaps/Tully-Trail-Map.pdf

All the best.

Gil

sunshower
11-20-2013, 14:34
Where is this hang?

SemperFiGuy
11-20-2013, 14:42
Hi Megan,

We're thinking about hanging on December 7th in the Group Camping Area of the DAR State Forest in Goshen, MA. The link explaining the State Forest is below. If you're interested, let us know. This is just an impromptu, informal hang to kind of work the kinks out of some of our gear before the Nor'Easter in January.

If you can join us, that'd be great.

http://www.mass.gov/eea/agencies/dcr/massparks/region-west/dar-state-forest-generic.html

Gil

SemperFiGuy
11-20-2013, 14:59
Cosmic, Country,

Here are a few of the pictures that I had told you about when I went hanging with Charlie (my Golden Retriever) at October Mountain earlier this Fall.

It was modified hiking/car camping as I was (and am) still nursing my shoulder.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/picture.php?pictureid=21382&albumid=3178&dl=1384976254&thumb

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/picture.php?pictureid=21385&albumid=3178&dl=1384976254&

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/picture.php?pictureid=21386&albumid=3178&dl=1384976254&thumb

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/picture.php?pictureid=21383&albumid=3178&dl=1384976254&thumb

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/picture.php?pictureid=21384&albumid=3178&dl=1384976254&thumb

I don't take him with me in the cold, cold weather because I can't guarantee his warmth and safety. When he sees me loading up the backpack, he starts pacing because he knows that I am going on a trip (and he's supposed to be coming with me.). Anyway, he gets 3 seasons of backpacking, hiking and camping so that's pretty good.

Camping in a hammock with him on the ground underneath does present its problems every once in awhile, but its worth it.

All the Best !
Gil

SemperFiGuy
11-20-2013, 15:15
Sunshower (Megan),

Even though the link doesn't show it, they permit Winter Camping but only in the Group Camping Area and only with prior arrangements made. I'll take care of that part.

In the group area, there is a Privy and each area has a picnic table and fire ring.

Country Roads (Chelsea) and I camped out there a couple of week-ends ago (Veteran's Day Week-end) and did just fine. We can assure you that there are plenty of trees to hang from. We made a nice fire and stayed up having a few adult beverages and talking about Virginia, Gear, and Stuff. It was fun.

Later that night it got WINDY and the temp dropped to about 27 or so. With the wind, it went, wind chill wise to sub 20F.

Country has an awesome DIY Tarp with doors and the wind really put it through the test that night. It came out with flying colors.

Anyway, if you can make the 7th, that would be great. It should be fun. If you can't, now worries......... The Nor'Easter is just around the corner.......

All the best !
Gil

CountryRoads
11-20-2013, 18:47
I am definitely in for the 6th and 7th!! I'm having withdraw symptoms...looking at my gear constantly, touching it, organizing it, buying more of it... I do have that problem of having to work at 9:30 Sunday morning but if it's just car camping in Goshen then I should be able to make it to work on time.

Nighthauk, you'll make it to one of these hangs one day hopefully... cosmic sleeps like 5 feet from his bedroom window, outside in the hammock all the time...well, less lately since he needs and underquilt, but once he gets the underquilt we won't be able to stop him.

Raiff, you need to get your kilt out here!

Sunshower, it would be awesome if you could make it!

Gil, I love the pic of Charlie laying in the creek. And steaks would be awesome. I just got a titanium Dutch flyz grill that I want to try out! Dutch rocks!!!

raiffnuke
11-20-2013, 19:03
I will make it out there one day. And in a kilt most likely! ;)

SemperFiGuy
11-20-2013, 19:19
Raif, No matter how you make it, we'd love to have you kilt or no kilt. Now wait a minute. If its with no kilt, then at least a pair of sweat pants. Geesh! :)

Country (Chelsea), I am going to arrive on the 7th, no later than noon. I would say the 6th also, but Fridays are usually spend in the metro Boston area and by the time I get back to Western Massachusetts, it's not worth the effort to arrive at 11pm and start hanging up my kit. The 7th is locked in and approved by the War Board.

I hope Cosmic is able to make it. It would also be nice if Sunshower (Megan) could make it also.

So far, two steaks and counting. I'll get however many steaks we need a couple of days before so that I can get them all spruced up with some good rub, etc......

Can't wait to see your new Dutch Grill. That's great.

All the best.
Gil

Nighthauk
11-20-2013, 19:57
I will be out there some time.. *sigh* Going through my schedule recently and it looks like NEHHA at the earliest. Fortunately I get out at least once a month with the scouts.

sunshower
11-20-2013, 21:31
We will try and see what we can do.. Probably get there early on the 7th.

SemperFiGuy
11-20-2013, 21:36
You're a good Papa Nighthauk, getting out with your sons and the Scouts. Believe me, it's something they'll remember for the rest of their lives.

No sighing necessary.

Your family and the Scouts are lucky to have you.

All the best!

Gil

Talox
11-20-2013, 22:04
I may have a free Saturday that weekend if there's room for another hanger. It will be my first winter where i can check out some new gear.

Nighthauk
11-20-2013, 22:44
You're a good Papa Nighthauk, getting out with your sons and the Scouts. Believe me, it's something they'll remember for the rest of their lives.

No sighing necessary.

Your family and the Scouts are lucky to have you.

All the best!

Gil

Thanks Gil. Your words are very helpful on a pretty crappy day.

SkyPainter
11-20-2013, 23:52
Uhgg I won't be able to make this one either. I am very jealous on how often you guys seem to get out. And I am all excited because I just got my shipping notice from Warbonnet saying that either my spindrift sock or my full length winter lynx or both should be here by this Thursday. I am hoping Both. I also just got my CF tarp in Last thursday as well.

Nighthauk.

===> Tim, you will LOVE the Lynx! I used mine with the RidgeRunner and Superfly at the Great Pumpkin Hang in NH. Just perfect! And easy to attach - no fiddling! I have the Spindrift Sock also but have not deployed it yet. I certainly will prior to the Winter Hang, to see if it works better with my Blackbirds or the RR. Will be bringing both, just in case.

Enjoy the RR and the Lynx! A GREAT combination!

~ Sky

CountryRoads
11-21-2013, 06:59
Talox, we would love to have you!

SemperFiGuy
11-21-2013, 07:41
I may have a free Saturday that weekend if there's room for another hanger. It will be my first winter where i can check out some new gear.

Talox,

What Country Roads said. This is just an informal group of folks with similar interests getting together to either test or further fine tune our gear, (or find an excuse to get out into the woods and just hang).

We'd love to have you. I'd just ask that you give me a yea or a nay by about the 1st, as I have to coordinate getting us signed in at the DAR State Park and will need to give them an approximate nose count.

Hope you can make it. It does represent a good time for you to get your gear out there and find out what works, what doesn't work and what else you might need, or what you don't need.

All the best !
Gil

11-21-2013, 07:46
I'm going to try and make this if possible. I'm doing 60 or 70 miles on the Long trail starting this weekend but should be up for some car camping by then.
One question. Is the gate closed this time of year? I was under the impression that you had to walk in to the group site once the park closed but I'm not sure. It might just be once the snow flies.

cosmic camper
11-21-2013, 13:23
Oh geez - I can't do the 7th but the 6th is a GO... done here at 2pm so I could be arrivin' by three. It's gonna be terrible to have to leave you all mid-day on Saturday... maybe I'll plea for a break from the work thing.

And JollyGreen - I've got my fingers crossed for a 2 week shipping time... I've heard the tales, but a boy can dream!

JollyGreen
11-21-2013, 13:47
Oh geez - I can't do the 7th but the 6th is a GO... done here at 2pm so I could be arrivin' by three. It's gonna be terrible to have to leave you all mid-day on Saturday... maybe I'll plea for a break from the work thing.

And JollyGreen - I've got my fingers crossed for a 2 week shipping time... I've heard the tales, but a boy can dream!

Well....I'm gonna try and make this too, is there a hike in or car camping? I'll bring my 0º incubator for you if yours doesn't get delivered by then.

CountryRoads
11-21-2013, 13:59
Wow!!! It's turning into a small group hang. I'm glad we're getting some western mass people together, but you don't have to be from western mass, anyone is welcome! Yay JollyGreen and [email protected]!

The gate will be open all day and night. The group site is really far back, there may be ways to walk in from somewhere other than the main gate, but it would be a long hike trying to walk in from the gate. And we're the only ones crazy enough to camp in December so we'll certainly have the place to ourselves!!!

I'm going to try and get some fire wood around here before the hang because there's really not much to burn, unless someone wanted to bring a chain saw and cut us some stuff that's on the ground.

JollyGreen
11-21-2013, 14:08
So we can drive into the site?

Nighthauk
11-21-2013, 14:10
I believe the gate is open all year round, BUT when there is snow on the ground they don't plow much passed the gate. So for now you can drive all the way in.

CountryRoads
11-21-2013, 15:20
Jolly, you can park anywhere at the group site. Gil and I hung about 15 feet from our cars when we stayed there a couple weeks ago.

SemperFiGuy
11-21-2013, 17:22
Jolly G, RX1, Talox, and anyone one else interested, you can certainly drive in at this point. Country Roads and I came in a couple of weeks ago, and drove the long road to the Group Camping Site. There is ample parking and no hiking in required. Unlike the primitive area at Greylock for example, where you park in a designated parking lot and then hike in 1.7 miles to the primitive area.

I am going to be making arrangements with the Rangers to let them know we're coming in. Since we're getting more than just a few, I'll underwrite the $25 group fee for the 7th of December. That would be the arrive on Saturday and leave on Sunday schedule. I can't be there on Friday the 6th, but if others can, that's great.

Cosmic, be sure to check and see if you're going to have company if you come that Friday evening. Sorry you can't stay for Saturday night. Anyway, I have your poles. If I miss you, I'll give them to Chelsea.

So......... As Nighthauk and Country Roads aptly pointed out, yes you can drive in. No hiking required. (Unless there is enough snow that you can't drive in, because I don't believe the State plows that long, desolate road from the Main entrance to the Group Site. When Country and I were there a few weeks ago, all gates were open and according to their literature there is access to the group area 12 months per year.

After I check in with the Rangers, I'll pass along any other pertinent info.

All the best!
Gil

cosmic camper
11-21-2013, 17:56
Anyone interested in the Friday hang? I probably won't be able to get coverage for Sat. night but I'd love to warm the place up - anyone interested in the Friday hang... start your weekend early... eh?!

Nighthauk
11-21-2013, 20:28
Yeah buddy SPECIAL DELIVERY for Nighthauk. Sent directly to you from Warbonett. That's right folks the Lynx and spindrift have arrived. Wooo hoooo. Now I have to figure out when to use them. I might sleep out sometime next week. Especially if there is a supposed Meteorological Nor'Easter as opposed to the NEHHA Nor' Easter happening in January. The storm which MIGHT be coming in coming in next week. :roll:

sunshower
11-21-2013, 21:08
Cool I hope us Eastern Massers can make it. I just dont want to show up like the last hang :0(

SemperFiGuy
11-21-2013, 21:09
NightHauk (Tim),

Best of luck with your new gear. I'm happy for you. Nothing like getting it in, unboxing it and just admiring it. Next step is to get it out in the field and test it out. You mentioned you now have the luxury of being able to do that at home. Lucky Boy.

Let us know your initial assessment after you've tried it out. With the Spindrift wrapped around you and the Lynx, you should be good to go I would think.

Keep us posted and good luck.

Gil

Nighthauk
11-21-2013, 21:18
Yeah I figure that I should be good down to roughly -15* easy. With a full length lynx with 3+ oz of overfill and the spindrift plus possible layering with the double layering of the ridge runner.

CountryRoads
11-22-2013, 04:20
Cosmic, I'll be hanging Friday night and I will definitely find some firewood.

Nighthauk, congrats, I hope it treats you well...

sunshower, I hope you can make it as well. What happened at the last hang? Fall NEHHA?

sunshower
11-22-2013, 09:32
Cosmic, I'll be hanging Friday night and I will definitely find some firewood.

Nighthauk, congrats, I hope it treats you well...

sunshower, I hope you can make it as well. What happened at the last hang? Fall NEHHA?

we got stuck on a logging road gravel culvert (literally 3 tires spinning in the air) and hiked for 2 hours to the campsite in the dark. how we found them is a miracle. we walked up and had to ask for help getting our car "unstuck."
this time i need directions and signs or what not. gps failed us 10 minutes from the campsite last time.

sunshower
11-22-2013, 09:33
and yes i was driving... i thought Subarus could go anywhere from those commercials i see on tv.. wink wink.

cosmic camper
11-22-2013, 13:12
PEOPLE ARE GOING ON FRIDAY! Woohoooo! Jolly Green and Country, and hopefully lots of others, I can't WAIT to see y'all.

Also... INCUBATOR ORDERED! Let's get those fingers crossed, people!

CountryRoads
11-22-2013, 13:36
Sunshower, I think that happened to Raiffnuke and someone else, JollyGreen maybe. That sucks. The DAR is easy to find right off of Rt. 112 and the group site is clearly labeled. You basically turn into the main gate and follow that road all the way down till you see signs for the group site. I hope you can make it!

SemperFiGuy
11-22-2013, 13:39
Cosmic,

If you let Adam at HG know that you have something coming up on the 6th of December, I'll guarantee he'll have it to you in time. He's like that. Just an amazing ability to rise the level necessary to meet customer needs.

G

sunshower
11-22-2013, 13:55
Cosmic,

If you let Adam at HG know that you have something coming up on the 6th of December, I'll guarantee he'll have it to you in time. He's like that. Just an amazing ability to rise the level necessary to meet customer needs.

G

I 2nd this. He got a burrow to me just in time for a trip. This is why I keep going back to Hammockgear.
Thx for the note, CR, we weren't the only ones that trip to get stuck on that darn road. Glad people jumped up to help us.

SemperFiGuy
11-22-2013, 13:55
SunShower (Megan),

Below, the physical address of the DAR State Forest. You can also look it up on line. I think I put a link in one of my earlier posts in this thread, but below also includes directions from a multitude of different areas.

DAR State Forest

78 Cape Street
Rte. 112
Goshen, MA 01032

D.A.R. State Forest is located in the Berkshire foothills in Western Massachusetts.

From North/Rte I-91: Take Exit 26 in Greenfield and follow MA Rte. 2 west for 9.8 miles. Take exit on right to MA Rte. 112 south. Follow Rte. 112 south for 13 miles to park entrance on left.

From South/Rte. I-91: Take Exit 19 in Northampton and follow MA Rte. 9 west for 15 miles to Goshen. Turn right onto MA Rte. 112 north and continue for 0.7 miles. Park entrance is on the right.

From East and West/MassPike (I-90): Take I-90 Exit 4, follow signs to I-91 north. Continue on I-91 north for 14 miles. Take Exit 19 in Northampton and follow MA Rte. 9 west for 15 miles to Goshen. Turn right onto MA Rte. 112 north and continue for 0.7 miles. Park entrance is on the right.

From West/Rte.9: In Dalton at intersection with MA Rte. 8, take MA Rte. 9 east for 27 miles to Goshen. Turn left onto MA Rte. 112 north and continue for 0.7 miles. Park entrance is on the right.

Hope to see you there. It looks like Cosmic Camper and Country Roads, as a minimum, will be there on Friday night. I'll be coming in Saturday noon and staying over until Sunday, mid-morning.

As the date gets closer I'm sure we'll have a better sense as to who is actually coming.

If you do plan on coming and are fearful of getting lost or stuck, pm me or pm Country Roads and one of us can give you our cell phone numbers so that if you get stuck or lost you have someone to communicate with. Country and Cosmic have my number, and I have their's.

All the best !
Gil

sunshower
11-22-2013, 13:56
Saved to my phone. Thank You. My husband started a new job and we have yet to see what weekends he has off in DEC. If he's off, we are there Saturday.

SemperFiGuy
11-22-2013, 15:01
SunShower,

That would be great! We'd love to have you guys. Be sure to let me know so that if you want a Steak and Baked Potato, I have you in the final count.

Also, like I said before, if you and the hubby want a contact phone number, just PM one of us, (me, Cosmic or Country) and we'll get you a cell number to call in the event something happens.

All the best !
Gil

cosmic camper
11-22-2013, 22:29
Hammocks RULE!

cosmic camper
11-26-2013, 14:40
YES! I got off the whole weekend from work - which means I am IN for this hang!

Gil - put me down for a steak and potato! WOOO BUDDY!

JollyGreen
11-26-2013, 14:45
Looks like I'm a go for this also, arriving Saturday noonish.

SemperFiGuy
11-26-2013, 17:20
Good Deal.

Right now I have Country Roads, Cosmic and Jolly Green for Saturday steaks and baked potatoes. Keep em' coming Hangers. (Brian, glad to see that you got a reprieve. I'll be sure to bring your poles with me.)

Sunshower and her Hubby are maybe's ???

Tri-Pod were you going to try to make it?

Who else am I forgetting ???

All the best!
Gil

tri-pod bob
11-26-2013, 19:47
Wish I could, Gil! Dealing with an unexpected med issue right now, that may keep me from the hang in Jan., too......dammit! Was wanting to keep it hush until I have more definitive info, but it is what it is...no sense hiding it. I do tend to hold my cards close, so I won't go into detail on a public forum. Going back for more tests after Thanksgiving. We'll see what pans out, but MD is already talking surgery. That would change my AT thru attempt next spring, as well. Been dreaming about that hike for 42+ years & now may be waiting a bit longer. We'll see. I have been hanging out in the back 40 in the meantime. The new BIAS WWM & 0* Incubator have been amazing! My HH Hex w/door mods & UQP should be here real soon. Looking forward to complete enclosure. I'm keeping tabs on here, so have a great time, everyone! Can't wait to read the post hang report! Peace, Bob

Talox
11-26-2013, 19:49
Good Deal.

Right now I have Country Roads, Cosmic and Jolly Green for Saturday steaks and baked potatoes. Keep em' coming Hangers. (Brian, glad to see that you got a reprieve. I'll be sure to bring your poles with me.)

Sunshower and her Hubby are maybe's ???

Tri-Pod were you going to try to make it?

Who else am I forgetting ???

All the best!
Gil

I will be there also for Saturday and would like to know what i can contribute.

SemperFiGuy
11-26-2013, 20:12
Talox,

Got you down. Add another steak and potato. Glad you can make it. I didn't mean to sleight you, I just wasn't sure you were going to be able to make it.

To be honest, probably the best contribution you could make would be to bring a bundle or two of firewood. When Country Roads and I hung up there a in early November, the firewood on the ground was sparse. It's a group camping area so you can imaging that people over the years have pretty much cherry picked what they could.

Anyway, glad to have you onboard and can't wait to meet you in person.

All the best !
Gil

SemperFiGuy
11-26-2013, 20:18
Tri-Pod (Bob),

So sorry to hear that you're going through a tough time medically. That can be a mega distraction to say the least, not to mention a new worry and stress. I hope all goes well.

No worry about the Nor'Easter, there will always be other winter hangs. As for the AT, it's not going anywhere either. It's not like they can roll it up and hide it on us.

Given that you're in Western Mass and I'm in Western Mass, if there is anything that I can do, or if you need help doing anything or getting anything done that you won't physically be able to do while you're laid up, don't be bashful. Just let me know. If it's not something that I can handle, I have Grandsons that are strong like bull. And if that doesn't work, we'll call on some of our Hammock Forums brothers and sisters to pitch in. No worries, just get well soon.

Anyway, all the best, and keep us posted. Sincerely, if you need anything, just PM me and I'll do what I can.

All the best!
Gil

Talox
11-26-2013, 21:02
Talox,
robably the best contribution you could make would be to bring a bundle or two of firewood.
Gil

Firewood it is

sunshower
11-26-2013, 21:48
Looking toward to this!

tri-pod bob
11-27-2013, 07:54
Tri-Pod (Bob),

So sorry to hear that you're going through a tough time medically. That can be a mega distraction to say the least, not to mention a new worry and stress. I hope all goes well.

No worry about the Nor'Easter, there will always be other winter hangs. As for the AT, it's not going anywhere either. It's not like they can roll it up and hide it on us.

Given that you're in Western Mass and I'm in Western Mass, if there is anything that I can do, or if you need help doing anything or getting anything done that you won't physically be able to do while you're laid up, don't be bashful. Just let me know. If it's not something that I can handle, I have Grandsons that are strong like bull. And if that doesn't work, we'll call on some of our Hammock Forums brothers and sisters to pitch in. No worries, just get well soon.

Anyway, all the best, and keep us posted. Sincerely, if you need anything, just PM me and I'll do what I can.

All the best!
Gil

Thank you, Gil. I appreciate your kindness, very much. Y'know, considering the fact that we have never met in person, it tells me what type of man you are.....straight up, kind & generous! The type that I would have around when & if the S**T ever HTF! This modern society we live in needs many more like you, IMO!! I'm a positive attitude person, so I'm hopeful that I won't have to take up your offer. I spent 23 years working as a firefighter in the troubled city just south of you, so I also have "brothers" there....worldwide actually, that will rally around when needed. If I do, though, we are living fairly close to each other. I'm about 20 miles east of Chicopee. I'll keep you posted as things progress. Again...thank you! Peace......Bob

SemperFiGuy
11-27-2013, 14:20
No worries Bob. Just don't forget to take me up if you ever need to.

No strings attached. My view is "we're all in this together".

All the best !
Gil

SemperFiGuy
11-27-2013, 14:22
Sunshower, (Megan),

Are you an hubby going to be able to make it next Saturday ? Let me know. I don't want to omit you from the Steak and Potato list :).

All the best !
Gil

SemperFiGuy
11-27-2013, 15:06
Country Roads,

In relationship to where you and I hung in early November, where do you think the best spot would be for next week-end? More towards the Pond, or more towards the Center area?

I'll defer to you and Cosmic to pick out the general area. Right now it looks like we have you, Cosmic, me, Jolly Green, Talox and possibly Sunshower and her hubby.

Have a great Thanksgiving. I'll talk to you soon.

Gil

Nighthauk
11-28-2013, 18:41
So I get to hang tonight at the house. I am trying out some new gear while I am out there. Now the lowest I have gone is -3* so I am not worry to much. Plus having he house a couple hundred feet away helps too. ;) So tonight I have a RR with a brand new full length winter lynx with +3 oz overfill. HG winter burrow with +3oz overfill and made from M50. Then I have a new spindrift to check out on whether or not I like it. I am kinda like Shug. I like seeing everything when I wake up. Then over everything I have a superfly. I should be way to warm. I may even swap out my 0* TQ for my *20.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/11/29/e9e5yvyn.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/11/29/3e4ymaqa.jpg

Oh yeah, it is suppose to be only about *17f. Tomorrow should be about 13.

JoshuaTrees
11-28-2013, 18:50
nice! looks like a sweet hang spot. I look forward to hearing what you think of the spindrift setup.

SemperFiGuy
11-28-2013, 21:55
Great hang spot NH (Tim). If the wind up in Chesterfield is anything like its been in Chicopee all day, you may want to rethink going to your 20* Burrow and instead keep your 0* in there with you tonight. :)

Hope you and the family had a great Thanksgiving together.

Let us know tomorrow how your kit checks out tonight.

All the best!
Gil

Nighthauk
11-28-2013, 22:09
I don't know, between the spindrift sock and a superfly the wind really isn't an issue. But I will be sticking with the 0*. It is currently 18* and I will be out shortly. Report to follow tomorrow.

sunshower
11-29-2013, 10:26
Sunshower, (Megan),

Are you an hubby going to be able to make it next Saturday ? Let me know. I don't want to omit you from the Steak and Potato list :).

All the best !
Gil
count us in next Saturday!
what can we bring?

Nighthauk
11-29-2013, 10:40
So last night was very successful temps got down to about 15* degrees outside. In the spindrift they were 20*. Wasn't cold at all and should never be at those temps with what I had. :D I did have a little frost inside even with the door open about 6".

I am going back out tonight with the temps suppose to lower. I might even have Lilprincess coming out with me to try her gear. With the house so close it is a perfect time to try.

lilprincess
11-29-2013, 11:33
I am going back out tonight with the temps suppose to lower. I might even have Lilprincess coming out with me to try her gear. With the house so close it is a perfect time to try.

That way I can run inside to the warmth if my -30* setup is too cold. ;)

Nighthauk
11-29-2013, 11:36
-30* for whom? Lol definitely not you.

lilprincess
11-29-2013, 11:48
For normal people. If You were decked out in my down, you make it to -30, I might make it 15...

sunshower
11-29-2013, 12:26
For normal people. If You were decked out in my down, you make it to -30, I might make it 15...

I'm exactly the same. I have tropical blood being from Florida and all. Cold at 70.

SemperFiGuy
11-29-2013, 12:54
Hey Sunshower (Megan),

Glad to hear that you and hubby will be able to join us next Saturday.

As I told Talox in an earlier message, if you have access to a few pieces of firewood that would be great. If not, no worries, we'll scrounge around the area and come up with some.

I've got you and hubby down for a steak and potato. I'll bring the condiments, and some Chinette paper plates. (High falloottin').

If I think of anything else, I'll be sure to let you know.

All the best !
Gil

sunshower
11-29-2013, 12:55
We have firewood to bring.

SemperFiGuy
11-29-2013, 12:58
NH (Tim),

Nice report and great to hear that your kit was more than adequate. That's always a mega-plus. Always hate to hear when someone is filing a sitrep that the gear had a major fail.

Hopefully, LilPrincess gets out there tonight with you and you guys have a successful eve in the woods.

Goshen shows that its going down to about 11 tonight, so given that you're right up in that neck of the woods, you should be in that vicinity, temp wise as well. Another great benchmark test.

All the best!
Gil

Nighthauk
11-29-2013, 16:59
Lilprincess' setup is already up. The purple palace and purple people eater is waiting for an occupant tonight. All she has to do is put all her close on tonight and see if she makes the night.

SemperFiGuy
11-29-2013, 19:48
Good luck LilPrincess. You can do it!

All the best!

Gil

SemperFiGuy
11-29-2013, 19:49
That's great Sunshower. The wood will be really welcomed.

See you next week.

SemperFiGuy
11-30-2013, 18:13
Inspired by Raif and Nighthauk (and LilPrincess), I bit the bullet and hung my Blackbird in the backyard last night, despite not having the best hang site in the hood. I didn't get the best lay, but that wasn't an issue. The purpose was to test out the 0* Incubator and 0* Burrow. The temps hit a low during the night of about 12*F. When I finally got my butt out of the "Bird" this morning a little after 7am it was a balmy 10* F. There was a pretty good wind through the better part of the night, so I'm guessing that it probably went sub-zero on a windchill basis, at least for some part of the night. I do know it was cold when I got up to respond to nature calling about 0300 hrs.

In any event, I had no issues with the Kit. I did have a little condensation (frost build up) on the inside of my Superfly during the night. Nothing to write home about, but when I got up at 0300, my head bumped the ceiling of the Superfly and my Watch Cap got a little wet.

I did not put my Sock on, or my UQP intentionally. I wanted to see how things went without them. (They were standing by however if I needed them.) At the Nor'Easter in January I will have them on.

Anyway, thanks Raif, NightHauk and LilPrincess for hanging in your yards. That gave me then incentive to hang mine last night.

All the best !
Gil

https://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/3/7/3/7/5/time_and_temp.jpg

https://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/3/7/3/7/5/blackbird_at_home.jpg

tri-pod bob
11-30-2013, 18:57
That's great, Gil!! I'm happy to see a successful test.

raiffnuke
11-30-2013, 19:12
Whoo buddy! Glad to hear you got out and your test was a success!

Nighthauk
11-30-2013, 22:18
Inspired by Raif and Nighthauk (and LilPrincess), I bit the bullet and hung my Blackbird in the backyard last night, despite not having the best hang site in the hood. I didn't get the best lay, but that wasn't an issue. The purpose was to test out the 0* Incubator and 0* Burrow. The temps hit a low during the night of about 12*F. When I finally got my butt out of the "Bird" this morning a little after 7am it was a balmy 10* F. There was a pretty good wind through the better part of the night, so I'm guessing that it probably went sub-zero on a windchill basis, at least for some part of the night. I do know it was cold when I got up to respond to nature calling about 0300 hrs.

In any event, I had no issues with the Kit. I did have a little condensation (frost build up) on the inside of my Superfly during the night. Nothing to write home about, but when I got up at 0300, my head bumped the ceiling of the Superfly and my Watch Cap got a little wet.

I did not put my Sock on, or my UQP intentionally. I wanted to see how things went without them. (They were standing by however if I needed them.) At the Nor'Easter in January I will have them on.

Anyway, thanks Raif, NightHauk and LilPrincess for hanging in your yards. That gave me then incentive to hang mine last night.

All the best !
Gil

https://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/3/7/3/7/5/time_and_temp.jpg

https://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/3/7/3/7/5/blackbird_at_home.jpg

I glad to hear that you had a great night out there. It is always great to know that your gear performs to your expectations.

As to our night, Lilprincess and I went outside at about 11:30PM last night. It was about 17* I had the same gear as listed above. Nothing was added besides smartwool glove liners and a buff. I had on a light poly t-shirt and mid weight EMS long sleeve shirt, REI mid weight bottoms, and smartwool trekking sock. Lows overnight got to 7*. I was warm all night.
Heard an Barred owl almost directly overhead, which scared the bejeebus outta me. :eek: Other than that slept about 6.5hrs straight.

I do have to say though that I had some frost on the inside of the spindrift. I also found that as the temps drop so does the spindrift. The shock cord doesn't hold as well so the whole thing droops down on you and the frost helps weigh it down even further. So I think that I will be going to try some lash-it and see if I can keep the spindrift up higher so that when I move around I don't have snow. This however doesn't change the fact that frost condenses on the zipper as well and when you unzip that there is snow too. Still up in the air whether or not I like the sock.

I will have Lilprincess chime in on her experience.

CountryRoads
12-01-2013, 11:04
Gosh, everyone hung over the holiday except me!

Gil, sorry to get back to you so late about where at the spot we should hang. I should be setting up in daylight and seems like most other people will also, so I'm thinking we look around when we get there. For the sake of the steak, I would say lets stay close to that fire pit with a grill. Sounds like we'll have plenty of wood for the big fire pit in the center. I'm planning on bringing some as well.

Looks like we have seven people so far!! Sweet! I can't wait!!

SemperFiGuy
12-01-2013, 11:30
Hey Chelsea, welcome back. Hope you were able to get to VA for the holiday to see the family.

The center area sounds perfect. Firepit and common area. There certainly isn't a lack of trees up there so everyone should be able to find suitable hang sites. :)

I just hung one night to test out the repaired Incubator. It worked like a charm. I have the count at 7 also.

I'm going to be arriving Saturday by noon, or a little earlier. If you're going up Friday night, that's great.

So far the 10 day forecast for Goshen is showing 30 % chance of rain showers on Friday the 6th with the hi/lo at 41/26 F. Saturday the 7th is showing 30% chance of snow showers with hi/lo of 32/22 F.

That can always change so I'll be monitoring it during the week.

I look forward to seeing everyone next week-end.

All the best !
Gil

CountryRoads
12-01-2013, 12:22
Ahhh rain and snow. Fun! I did make it to VA to see the folks. It was good. Tooled around in the woods...they live 20 miles from the nearest sign of civilization.

Just looking through all the posts I missed...NH you have a sweet spot there. And LilPrincess I'm with you. You can never be too warm in the winter!

lilprincess
12-01-2013, 13:03
I glad to hear that you had a great night out there. It is always great to know that your gear performs to your expectations.

As to our night, Lilprincess and I went outside at about 11:30PM last night. It was about 17* I had the same gear as listed above. Nothing was added besides smartwool glove liners and a buff. I had on a light poly t-shirt and mid weight EMS long sleeve shirt, REI mid weight bottoms, and smartwool trekking sock. Lows overnight got to 7*. I was warm all night.
Heard an Barred owl almost directly overhead, which scared the bejeebus outta me. :eek: Other than that slept about 6.5hrs straight.

I do have to say though that I had some frost on the inside of the spindrift. I also found that as the temps drop so does the spindrift. The shock cord doesn't hold as well so the whole thing droops down on you and the frost helps weigh it down even further. So I think that I will be going to try some lash-it and see if I can keep the spindrift up higher so that when I move around I don't have snow. This however doesn't change the fact that frost condenses on the zipper as well and when you unzip that there is snow too. Still up in the air whether or not I like the sock.

I will have Lilprincess chime in on her experience.

It was a good try, but I started out a little behind. Lessons learned though. First I forgot a pillow, and for some reason, once I'm in the hammock I don't get out of the hammock, unless I REALLY need to pee, I know, I'm stubborn and stupid. Second, I didn't listen to NH, and didn't take a hot water bottle out with me. This would have helped me start out warmer. The insulation was cold to start off, and that took a little while to warm up. My feet were chilly for a little bit, but I tucked them inside a little more, and they warmed up. I curled up under my topquilt, literally, all the way under the quilt. No part of my body was not surrounded by down, and most by a few layers.
After listening to the wild life, and the gently snoring of my husband, I fell asleep for a few hours, only to be awakened at 3am with cold shoulders. I don't know if it was the topquilt that slipped away or a draft from below, but I knew that at 3am it wasn't going to get any warmer. So I bailed to the warm house and bed. But I made it as to 11*, my lowest ever!
Had some frost on the inside of my top quilt and the tarp, but not as much as I was expecting.

Gear: 0*Full length HG underquilt plus 4oz extra down (I"m 5'2", its about 6')
0* HG Top quilt, just for me sized
Montbell down pants
Black rock Down Mitts
Black rock Down hat
Possum down socks
JC penney down Jacket
Smart wool tops and bottoms
Under armor Balaclava

SemperFiGuy
12-01-2013, 20:04
LilPrincess,

That was a great and thorough SitRep (situation report). Great job. No detail left untouched.

It was nice that you had the availability of your primary quarters to turn to when it got too cold. Sounds like you have a pretty good sense as to what you would need to do to last through the night.

My outing on Friday night (10*) was not without its trials and tribulations either. My pillow kept slipping underneath me. I had to go fishing for it several times. I'm like you. I need a pillow. At least mine was inside the hammock somewhere. If the neighbors were looking on when I was searching, they would have thought that I was wrestling an alligator in there. Geesh.

Anyway, all is well that ends well. Sounds like Tim had a good night out there too.

Be well. All the best !

Gil

sunshower
12-01-2013, 20:47
I'm nervous I will be too cold too! I have the same set up as lil princess. Its my left shoulder and torso that freeze up on me.

Nighthauk
12-01-2013, 21:13
Sun shower bring some reflectix with you. You can either lay directly on that or slip it In between the hammock and UQ if your incubator isn't quite up to the challenge for you also don't forget nalgene for your hot water bottle. Mmmmmmm warmth.

CountryRoads
12-02-2013, 17:30
I will bring some extra sleeping bags with me.

sunshower
12-02-2013, 23:29
The I will. I have a sunshade in the car.

JollyGreen
12-03-2013, 06:55
Looks like the work thing might get me this weekend. Won't know for sure till Friday afternoon, bummer.

Suede
12-03-2013, 08:19
Room for one more for sat night? have to check with work today but looks likely I could make it.

CountryRoads
12-03-2013, 13:35
Jolly that's too bad. I hope you can make it. And Suede, the more, the merrier!

cosmic camper
12-03-2013, 13:38
YAHOO!

Suede - YES, of course, we'd be delighted for one more!

Others - So, my 0 degree Incubator has ARRIVED, and only a full WEEK ahead of time (it was here on Friday but I wasn't even around to grab it!). I have yet to spend the night in it, although I may try tonight. I did set it up and felt very incredibly comfortable and cozy - it was around 9pm and the temperature was probably somewhere below freezing. Will I last the night with just the incubator and my synthetic Mountain Hardwear mummy bag? The bag is rated to -15 but I'd be shocked if it performed THAT well.

The more I think on this, the more TONIGHT seems like the best time for a test run!

JollyGreen
12-03-2013, 14:31
Jolly that's too bad. I hope you can make it. And Suede, the more, the merrier!

I'm working hard on it, if it works out Suede and myself will carpool. Fingers crossed....

SemperFiGuy
12-03-2013, 15:42
Jolly G, I'm planning on you being there. If you aren't then poor Cosmic will have to eat two steaks instead of one.

Suede, I'm putting you down for a steak and baked potato. If this changes, please let me know. We'd love to have you. As Cosmic and Country said, the more the merrier.

Cosmic, I'm going to bring an extra sleeping bag in case anyone needs it. I think Country is bringing at least one extra bag also. Isn't that Incubator sweet? Best of luck with it. I'm so happy it arrived on time for you.

See you all Saturday.

All the best !
Gil

JoshuaTrees
12-03-2013, 17:36
Will I last the night with just the incubator and my synthetic Mountain Hardwear mummy bag? The bag is rated to -15 but I'd be shocked if it performed THAT well.

The more I think on this, the more TONIGHT seems like the best time for a test run!

I think you'll be good. I've been getting consistently into the mid twenties with my 0* UQ and an old LL Bean synthetic rated to 0* on top.
It has only got into the teens once I think, down here by the coast, and that night I cheated and used an old Bed Bath and Beyond down comforter I had in the closet on top of the bag to keep me toasty.
I have also used the hot water bottle trick, while not necessary at those temps it sure makes falling asleep in the cold much easier.

Good luck out there!

Suede
12-04-2013, 11:36
Jolly G, I'm planning on you being there. If you aren't then poor Cosmic will have to eat two steaks instead of one.

Suede, I'm putting you down for a steak and baked potato. If this changes, please let me know. We'd love to have you. As Cosmic and Country said, the more the merrier.

Cosmic, I'm going to bring an extra sleeping bag in case anyone needs it. I think Country is bringing at least one extra bag also. Isn't that Incubator sweet? Best of luck with it. I'm so happy it arrived on time for you.

See you all Saturday.

All the best !
Gil

It looks like I am in on this one!

SFG thanks for the hospitality and steak-osity! Let me know what I can bring, or I will come up with something to contribute.

cosmic camper
12-04-2013, 14:30
Jolly G - I am crossing my fingers for you - it'd be awesome to see you before NEHHA!

Incubator SUCCESS - bring it on, cold! :)

Only a few days left folks!

CountryRoads
12-04-2013, 18:11
The weekend's closing in on us. I have so much to do before the weekend! So I got firewood today in Williamsburg. I have a feeling Cosmic and I will us a bit of it Friday night, if the weather permits, but I'll be sure to save some for Saturday. And I know at least one other person said they'd be bringing some. I got it at Lashway Forest Products lumberyard, and if anyone ever needs firewood around here, you should go there. They said, "if you're ever desperate for firewood and don't have the money, just come and take it and pay us when you can. We don't want anyone to be cold." Good neighborhood business.

Gil, let me know if there's anything I can contribute to Saturday's dinner. Look forward to seeing everyone. Jolly, I really hope you can make it!

SemperFiGuy
12-04-2013, 19:30
Chelsea, the firewood is a real home run. It's gonna be cold and possibly damp so I think we're probably going to want a fire going pretty much constantly. That's great.

Suede. If you want, bring a dozen brownies, or something like that for desert. I hadn't even thought of that until just now. We're glad you can make it. Nice to meet some of our NY Hangers in person. We're hoping for Jolly also.

Brian, glad to hear you had SUCCESS with the Incubator. It only gets better from there. Got an extra SB in my car just in case.

Country/Cosmic - I know you guys are going up on Friday afternoon, but just be advised that the weather report just upgraded Goshen to a 90% probability of rain on Friday. Saturday is now down to 10% probability with mostly sunny. Once your stuff gets wet this time of year, it's a real SOB to get it dry anytime soon. Just sayin'..........

See everybody Saturday. All the best !

Gil

CountryRoads
12-04-2013, 19:54
Hmmmm...are Cosmic and I the only ones hanging on Friday? If so, perhaps we will reconsider camping Friday night. I'll have to talk to Cosmic. That wouldn't be horrible since I have a paper due Friday night, which I was planning on getting in tomorrow night, but an extra day is always good...so, I'll talk to Cosmic and we'll see.

SemperFiGuy
12-04-2013, 20:05
Country,

All kidding aside, I would recommend that you and Cosmic really reconsider.

If your gear gets soaked Friday night, its going to make Saturday a long, long day.

As far as I know, you and Cosmic are the only one's heading up Friday. Everyone else is shooting for the noon timeframe on Saturday. I'll be up there between 10:30 and 11:30.

If you do go up Friday night and you need me to bring you guys anything on my way up Saturday, give me a call on my cellphone and I'll pick it up for you.

Gil

CountryRoads
12-04-2013, 20:30
Thanks Gil, I texted Cosmic but haven't heard back yet. I'll let you know what we're doing. I'm leaning towards not hanging Friday, normally I wouldn't let the weather make the decision for me, but I'm just overloaded with school work right now.