PDA

View Full Version : Packing Tape SPE

ky chris
04-11-2009, 11:02
Has anyone tried to use packing tape to create a SPE?

I was thinking of cutting my 30" pad into a main body and wings like is used for the SPE. Then just use packing tape to tape these together on both sides creating a light thin hinge. To pack, fold in the wings and roll. I'll try it, maybe it won't work.

ky chris

headchange4u
04-11-2009, 11:07
I've SPE's put together with Duct tape.

Cannibal
04-14-2009, 10:41
I've SPE's put together with Duct tape.
Me too! My redneck neighbors in Florida were very impressed. :lol:

dallas
04-16-2009, 09:56
Any further info on this would be much appreciated, since I am considering the same thing. What type of tape works best on the GG evazote pads?

headchange4u
04-16-2009, 10:34
Any further info on this would be much appreciated, since I am considering the same thing. What type of tape works best on the GG evazote pads?

Duct tape or Gorilla tape (http://www.gorillaglue.com/tapes.aspx) is gonna be you best bet. Both of those should stick well to any CCF pad.

doogman4
04-16-2009, 11:00
maybe try Tyvek tape. That stuff sticks and will be very flexible.

optimator
04-16-2009, 13:07
For those of you who have done this, how well do they roll up? Are there any problems with the tape sticking to the bottom of the hammock?

jeffjenn
04-16-2009, 14:07
I have no exp. in doing this, but would have to vote for Tyvek tape, it's some amazing stuff.

doogman4
04-16-2009, 14:49
As far as the tape sticking, I would tape both sides (tape facing sticky to sticky) leaving a small gap between the pads to form the hinge and make sure the tape is pressed from both sides to mate the sticky to the sticky in the seam.

Dam, now I have myself scratching my own head.

dallas
04-22-2009, 20:56
Duct tape or Gorilla tape (http://www.gorillaglue.com/tapes.aspx) is gonna be you best bet. Both of those should stick well to any CCF pad.

FWIW I found that duct tape sticks much better to evazote foam than the Gorilla tape does (and it's much less expensive also).

Gorilla tape is good for prototypes since it comes off much easier. I just made a pair of evazote foam camp shoes (one oz. per pair) and the duct tape is certainly the way to go for those.

HappyCamper
04-23-2009, 08:59
For those of you who have done this, how well do they roll up?

Yes, how well do they roll up for backpacking? Wondering same thing?