PDA

View Full Version : To cut or not to cut?

KMACK
04-13-2009, 20:56
Has any one cut the colored edging off of thier double ENO? It appears to serve no purpose other than flop around in my face. It is triple stiched to the hammock so leaving the stich alone shouldnt do any damage?? I was thinking I could use what I cut off to make snake skins or some thing.

Or should I just leave it alone?

Roadtorque
04-13-2009, 22:07
good question. I personally stretch out and my feet often are on that strip. So it has value to me. All I could think going wrong if you cut it off is it fraying. Good thing its a cheaper hammock and you can always get another one if it doesnt work out!

Ramblinrev
04-13-2009, 22:15
Are the strips that would be cut off wide enough to do anything productive with? Typically my DIY reptilian derma layer sleeves have a wide end of about 15-17" which result in a circular open of roughly 4.5-5" in diameter at the wide end. A 12" width would result in about 3.75 roughly.

KMACK
04-14-2009, 14:57
Just measured it...8.5" at best per side.

Ramblinrev
04-14-2009, 15:06
that's a real tight reptilian derma sleeve. (2.7") It seems like a lot of work to me but I don't have to sleep in it. The fraying from the cut is a concern which of course can be sealed in a few different ways. But is it really worth the effort for a very thin strip of fabric.

campcrafter
07-21-2009, 13:30
KMACK - did you cut the strips off yours - I was thinking to do same but would like to know your results first if you did.

cc

KMACK
07-21-2009, 16:34
Yes I did! So far I like it, less stuff in my face and it didnt hamper the way I lay in it. I call it my ENO 1.5. Trim it at closely to the factory seam as poss as there will be some fraying. Just today I almost folded the seam over to sew it to contain some of the fray but decided not to.

hikingjer
07-22-2009, 23:37
Kmack,

How much weight did the surgery to converting to the "ENO 1.5" cut out? 2 oz. is my guess.

KMACK
07-23-2009, 15:54
Dont know. I'll bring the scrap to work tomorrow and weigh it...I'll report back later.

campcrafter
07-24-2009, 16:37
what did you use to cut it?
I was thinking maybe a wood burning tip might help seal the fray - but don't know if that would work or not- I don't want to burn up my hammock!

KMACK
07-24-2009, 17:45
3.8 onces!!! Checked it twice on two diff scales. I used fabric scissors and cut close to the factory seam. There is some fraying of the excess but there has been no fraying into the factory triple stich seam.

hikingjer
07-25-2009, 21:58
3.8 oz. - almost 4 oz or 1/4 lb. That's pretty good. That's a win-win weight reduction. Lost weight without any sacrifice in comfort, safety or function!

hanghigh
05-18-2012, 11:20
what did you use to cut it?
I was thinking maybe a wood burning tip might help seal the fray - but don't know if that would work or not- I don't want to burn up my hammock!

The wood burning tip works I used that method when cutting the bag off the side to convert it to a bishop bag and sofar no fray or ripping only a couple un even edges

djminnesota
05-22-2012, 21:16
good question. I personally stretch out and my feet often are on that strip. So it has value to me

That what i do too- will never cut mine off

Curt
05-23-2012, 08:33
Is that for just one "strip"? What is the new width of the hammock? This might be a nice size for me - especially if it's a bit lighter. A couple more questions:

- Do you get any funny ridges where the seam is or does it lay pretty nicely as if it's one piece of fabric?
- Any issues where you cut into the channels when removing the strip?
- Any pics?

Thanks for taking the plunge! I like the idea of a 1.5. I think I might even have an old double in the closet somewhere to experiment on.

3.8 onces!!! Checked it twice on two diff scales. I used fabric scissors and cut close to the factory seam. There is some fraying of the excess but there has been no fraying into the factory triple stich seam.

DivaB
05-23-2012, 09:12
I can't imagine not having my sides on my DN. When I'm at the proper angle, there's no flopping of the sides. For me those sides serve a purpose.

Gustav
05-23-2012, 10:11
Well I just cut mine off :D
Why ? To use as a backpacking hammock. For me this hammock feels great to sleep in. Maybe the best night sleep ever in a hammock or bed !
So, after reading a loss of 3.8 oz I was going to try it. The hammock body came in at 11.5 oz
Cut the hem at the point the body & side flap mets and redid the hem.
Slept in it last night and happy to say it feels the same. :thumbup1:

jasen4_30
05-26-2012, 11:48
Well I just cut mine off :D
Why ? To use as a backpacking hammock. For me this hammock feels great to sleep in. Maybe the best night sleep ever in a hammock or bed !
So, after reading a loss of 3.8 oz I was going to try it. The hammock body came in at 11.5 oz
Cut the hem at the point the body & side flap mets and redid the hem.
Slept in it last night and happy to say it feels the same. :thumbup1:

Can we get some pics of the new mod?

I've been thinking of buying one and am interested in this mod.

Gustav
05-26-2012, 20:22

Will need to take some pictures. But will post them here.
I'm going to do this mod for a friend. will try and video it :D

Gustav
05-28-2012, 00:23

Here is a tread with video:D
http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=53590