PDA

View Full Version : getting in-need advice

SuperTramp
04-14-2009, 08:06
ok guys-did the backyard overnighter last night and everything went well....but.-how on earth does everyone get into their sleeping bags without the zipper mod or standing on the ground and pulling the bag on like a potato sack? i was sooo frustrated trying to get myself placed and zipped up and on top of the pad i was sweating by the time i got in place and it froze here last night. surely there must be an easier way-anybody have a way figured out? i can see how the zipper mod would shine but i've spent enough on stuff this winter and the standing on the ground in bag just does not seem like a good idea out in the bush or on a slope.-thx

DuctTape
04-14-2009, 08:16
3 seasons I used my JRB quilt, but in the winter I still use my down bag. My "methoD' is as follows. I unzip the bag 3/4 down. I align it in the hammaock the best I possibly can with my "butt spot" as the priority. I then sit down right on that spot. I remove shoes and then swing my legs up. I pivot carefully and lie back. I then zip up the bag appropriately. ta-da!

animalcontrol
04-14-2009, 08:41
ok guys-did the backyard overnighter last night and everything went well....but.-how on earth does everyone get into their sleeping bags without the zipper mod or standing on the ground and pulling the bag on like a potato sack? i was sooo frustrated trying to get myself placed and zipped up and on top of the pad i was sweating by the time i got in place and it froze here last night. surely there must be an easier way-anybody have a way figured out? i can see how the zipper mod would shine but i've spent enough on stuff this winter and the standing on the ground in bag just does not seem like a good idea out in the bush or on a slope.-thx
practice, practice, practice :lol:
or just replace it with a toploader hammock (that was my solution)

UncleMJM
04-14-2009, 08:55
I use mine as a top quilt, and either a JRB Nest or Exped DAM for insulation below.

lori
04-14-2009, 09:17
I'm alll about the quilts. I went to quilts even while I was still using a tent. Hate sleeping bags, with the fiery passion of the claustrophobe. I'll be in a body bag when I'm dead, I'm all about the sprawling and thrashing in my sleep. :)

Cannibal
04-14-2009, 09:45
After the first week I had my Hennessy, I decided that sleeping bags would be something I talked about from my youth; a not so fond memory. I switched to quilts and can't imagine using a bag these days. Zippers inside the hammock just give me a bad vibe. I'm always scared they are going to 'catch' on the fabric.

tiptoe
04-14-2009, 12:08
I pretty much do what DuctTape does, and I've never had a problem. I align the bag on the diagonal first (with the foot end to my left as I'm facing the head end). It hasn't been that big a deal for me.

kwpapke
04-14-2009, 13:21
It takes a couple of nights to get the hang of it. I don't try to pre-position the bag. Mine seems to slide anywhere it wants to when I climb in. What I do:

Pull the foot of the bag up over my legs to about my butt. Zip up to there.
Arch my back and pull the bag up under me as far as possible.
Sit up, lean forward and pull the top up over my head.

Then finish zipping up to where I want it.

That 3-step process seems to work pretty well for me. The bottom line is, you can't pull the bag under you with your weight on it. In step 1, I get it up as far as I can by lifting my legs. In step 2, I get it past my butt. In step 3, my weight is on my butt, and I pull it up over my back and head.

Step 2 might be the hardest for most people, as you have to be able to arch your back in the hammock. If it doesn't work for you, try rolling on your side for that step.

Hope this helps.

--Kurt

SuperTramp
04-14-2009, 14:31
thx everyone-now i have some techniques to work on but i better come back in the house for a few nights first

The Fireman
04-20-2009, 13:56
I'll be switching to quilts soon, I used to use my sleeping bag like a quilt anyway when I was a ground dweller so why carry the extra weight. In the hammock because of cold spots at my sholders I tried to get the bag zipped up the first time I used it. I ended up with the zipper under my rear or right up my front. It worked but wasnt comfortable. I havent really liked mummy bags since I passed the 6' mark. Just to claustrophobic for me to get a good night sleep.

elcolombianito
04-20-2009, 14:42
Use the sleeping bag as a Quilt most of the time. If it gets too cold (below 40s), sleepingbag mode.

William Hayes
04-20-2009, 17:03
I use a JRB quilt and had the zipper queen do the mods on my HH I don't have to fight a sleeping bag anymore

swampfox
04-20-2009, 17:12
Like you, I really struggled to get into the bag the first two or three times. I hated to get up for a nature call because I had to go thru the process again.
I don't really know when it happened, but after a few (5?) campouts, I noticed that it just wasn't a problem any more. I think we all eventually come to the same conclusions above, position open bag, sit on it, pull the feet in.
I did get the zipper mod to simplify things, but have yet to hit the woods.

Peter_pan
04-20-2009, 18:37
With a good under quilt and a properly rater top quilt zero is a piece of cake...It is not necessary to be "fully bagged" in the hammock....Having to do that at 40* or so just indicates the Top Bag is inadequate in range...

A UQ and TQ function as a "bag"... when more is needed it is probably time for the next season of gear.

I'm biased but I'd bet the majority of UQ users will reinforce that a TQ or Bag used as a TQ/B is all that is necessary and that they seldom, if ever, use a full bag in the hammock.

Pan

ref103
04-20-2009, 21:16
I had the same problem. like most said practice. try getting a ccf pad positioned then the bag and yourself positioned. I'm pretty nimble and it was tough but it gets easier. I did just order some insultex with the group buy and I plan to to make a top quilt/ underquilt. I want to still use my bag in the winter, scrap the pad, and use the top quilt as an underquilt. I'm open to ANY suggestions for plans or ideas. i have checked out several threads here though.

Andy2112
04-21-2009, 06:59
Get a surplus British Army 58 pattern sleeping bag. Heavy but bombproof as long as you don't get em wet. The best thing about this bag is it has a central full length zip so all you do is hop in your hammock bend forward, grab the zip then lie back down while zipping the bag up.:D Oh, and they are rated down to -12c.

BillyBob58
04-21-2009, 08:39
I pretty much do what DuctTape does, and I've never had a problem. I align the bag on the diagonal first (with the foot end to my left as I'm facing the head end). It hasn't been that big a deal for me.

Quilts, or using the bag in quilt mode, is for sure a sweet way to go, overall way more comfortable. Particularly if the quilt is wide enough and long enough for you, there should not be any draft problems. I always try to go quilt mode or actually use a quilt which gives me no choice of mode.

Having said that, I must admit that I have had one or two occasions where, when approaching the temp limits of the bag and probably with high winds, I have been either a little cool- too cool for comfort- or actually cold. When I give up and zip up in the bag with hood and neck collar, I have then gone to toasty warm and off to deep sleep. Face it, a significant part of a mummy bag's temp rating is accounted for by the draft sealing properties and super head insulation that comes from the collar and hood adjusted down to a small breathing hole. Terrible for claustrophobes, but toasty! ;)

So, something like DT and TT said should suffice. The key ( with HH or top loader) for me is- assuming you don't want to put your bag on before you get in or you don't have a FF Wren) for me is to get in reverse from normal- the hood goes over my head before I do anything else. Once I do that, the battle is won. So I get in my HH and sit down, pull the hood over my head,lay down and put one foot in the bag ( might work ok with both already in) roll way over on one side almost on my belly and kind of tuck the zipper side of the bag under my side. Then roll way to the other side and pull it the rest of the way so that it is about right fit wise, go to back and zip up. Sounds like a lot written out, but in practice it is a couple of quick moves and I am zipped up hood, collar and all in about a minute. It goes even quicker if you can do as Ducttape said and sit down on the bag first, but be able to guess correctly as to leaving enough bag in the head end of the hammock so that you can pull the hood over your head BEFORE you lay down. As long as I do that, there are really several different and acceptable ways to then get into the bag.

But most of the time, just go quilt mode. Or use an actual wide enough quilt with separate hood, or a Feathered Friends Wren. An actual quilt designed as a quilt from the get go will probably fit better around your neck and shoulders than a mummy bag turned upside down with it's hood in the way, in your face. However, if I lay on my side I can then lay the hood over my head, leaving a little breathing space out to the side. That works pretty dang good, pretty close warmth wise to being zipped in. But on my back in quilt mode that SB bag hood is a PIA and interferes with a good draft seal.

elcolombianito
04-21-2009, 08:42
With a good under quilt and a properly rater top quilt zero is a piece of cake...It is not necessary to be "fully bagged" in the hammock....Having to do that at 40* or so just indicates the Top Bag is inadequate in range...

I actually believe this to happen due to my pad, also could be my bag... the Zlite worked nice at first, both on ground and the hammock, but the crate shape has flattened out alot, and since this the pad doesnt reach same temps as before alone in the hammock.

Any way, Im awaitng for my SuperShelter. I hope this solves the pad issue and is comfortable enough. Nevertheless, an Underquilt and Quilt combo is my dream sleeping kit...

elcolombianito
04-21-2009, 08:53
Oh, and I almost forgot... http://www.theplacewithnoname.com/hiking/sections/gear/shelter/hthh.htm

Gave me good visual aide on handling the pad and bag in the HH, storage in snakeskins and such things.
For your issue, Supertramp, check out this part of the site (http://www.theplacewithnoname.com/hiking/sections/gear/shelter/hhvid02.htm).

Hangin'Yankee
04-21-2009, 22:36
Since the insulation on the underneath side is getting crushed and is not really insulating, I open mine down to where I still have a footbox, stick my feet in and use it as a quilt. Tuck, Tuck, Tuck. With a UQ it doesn't seem to matter. I've been warm into the 20's using a 20 degree bag in this manner. It's really nice not being mummified!

Chrisp70
04-22-2009, 11:18
What you have to do is get the Nintendo Wii Fit and work on your Yoga. The bridge comes to mind :-)

Take-a-knee
04-22-2009, 11:25
After the first week I had my Hennessy, I decided that sleeping bags would be something I talked about from my youth; a not so fond memory. I switched to quilts and can't imagine using a bag these days. Zippers inside the hammock just give me a bad vibe. I'm always scared they are going to 'catch' on the fabric.

I'm not sure about a quilt on the ground yet but in a hammock it is the ONLY way to go. Francis Tapon used a JRB Rocky Mtn No Sniveler to YO YO the CDT, that was his warm clothing and sleeping gear, so it can be done.

Cannibal
04-22-2009, 11:28
I'm not sure about a quilt on the ground yet but in a hammock it is the ONLY way to go. Francis Tapon used a JRB Rocky Mtn No Sniveler to YO YO the CDT, that was his warm clothing and sleeping gear, so it can be done.
Well, I have invested countless hours of research and testing and have concluded that the RMS works great on a couch! :lol: