PDA

View Full Version : PA-501 shelter-Nov 2nd overnighter

Dutch
10-25-2013, 21:47
Weather permitting, I am taking my family to the 501 shelter on the 2nd for a quick overnighter. 501 shelter is located north of Bethel on the AT. It is a quick 100 yard hike in and we have a great spot for camping. All are welcome but we should keep the attendance to not much more than 10. This is a kid friendly as my daughter will be there. I usually don't get there until afternoon and leave early to go get breakfast. There is pizza delivery at the shelter but most people eat vast quantities of meat. Where are you 501 shelter rats.

Black Foot
10-26-2013, 09:09
Great idea - I'd love a chance to get out and hang. Let me see if I can get away. I'll also check in with Tinkr and see if he can drive up from Millersville.

JollyGreen
10-26-2013, 13:34
You know I'm there Dutch

Gadgets
10-26-2013, 20:26
I'm gonna try and make this. I have a few new things I wanna try out that I learned at MAHHA.

Pro Vagabond
10-26-2013, 21:15
gotta hike planned with some kids, so not gonna make this one... Bummer!

I'll be there tomorrow, with some of the same kids doing a day hike. Have fun for those of us that are gonna miss it!

perrito
10-26-2013, 23:40
You know I'm there Dutch Hmmm..., Carpool? :)

JollyGreen
10-27-2013, 19:12
Hmmm..., Carpool? :)

That's a good idea

edcpreps
10-28-2013, 23:15
This is the weekend of my bday, me an my son who's 7 could swing this possibly if you guys wouldn't mind some first time group hangers.

Dutch
10-29-2013, 08:04
This is the weekend of my bday, me an my son who's 7 could swing this possibly if you guys wouldn't mind some first time group hangers.

My daughter is 7 also and would love to have other children around to help prod and poke the fire.

doogie
10-29-2013, 08:39
I'm going to have to miss this one. I will be camping down the trail a ways at Camp Bashore with my scout troop.

biggcarl
10-29-2013, 09:33
Don't know if the wife will give me a weekend pass for a record fourth week in a row.

Fingers crossed.

Black Foot
10-29-2013, 10:27
I'm definitely in...still checking with Dan on his work schedule

Now all we need is some Jersey Bears, Eagle Eye, Soundman, GLP, and 2Q :D

Bakeel
10-29-2013, 11:39
Would love to come up, but it is too close to the wedding and the fiance would flip if I left for a noon Saturday to noon Sunday trip.

mattyoc20
10-29-2013, 11:46
I also got some other things planned. Hate to miss a hang but i have to skip this one

Pretbek
10-29-2013, 13:24
Ugh, I was in the mood for this and also drag some family along, but that weekend my son competes in the marching band Nationals, so that's where I will be.

Keep the calls for 501 shelter coming, one of these days I'll actually make it there.

Cranky Bear
10-29-2013, 15:53
Man I wish I could go...have fun everyone, oh and eat a steak for me Dutch.

edcpreps
10-29-2013, 17:40
My daughter is 7 also and would love to have other children around to help prod and poke the fire.

Gonna do my best to be there, I'll know on Friday if its a deff, right now it's looking like I'm in. My son would love someone to hang w/ his age lol

Fyi dutch, just ordered some stuff from you the other day, got my stuff on Saturday. Live in chester springs pa. Can't wait to test it out!

JollyGreen
10-29-2013, 19:24
Man I wish I could go...have fun everyone, oh and eat a steak for me Dutch.

LOL I usually stop at Dietrichs and pick up a nice filet mignon for Dutch

Gadgets
10-29-2013, 19:31
LOL I usually stop at Dietrichs and pick up a nice filet mignon for Dutch

Nice! You should try Peter Brothers just off the Lenhartsville exit.

Dutch
10-29-2013, 20:23
I don't usually get there until around 3 or so. To find the hanging spot for all the 501 virgins;
Park at the parking lot where Rt 501 crosses the AT north of Bethel. At the north end of the parking lot is a driveway, twenty yards up the driveway is a sign that says Private Drive, turn left on the blue blazed trail. Fifty yards and you will see the shelter. Turn left again and there are three camp sites on the right. We usually take the middle one but it is hard to fit everyone in there so plan on spreading out. There are a lot of dead trees around so pick spots carefully.

We eat meat at these, it's not mandatory but you don't want to be the guy with ramen when everyone has angus prime. Weather looks warm at this point. Prepare for wind because it is the top of the mountain. Firewood is always needed. Pizza can be delivered to the parking lot.

If anyone need a piece of gear LMK. Jolly I have a non leaking CF tarp if you need it. :lol:

JollyGreen
10-29-2013, 20:32
I don't usually get there until around 3 or so. To find the hanging spot for all the 501 virgins;
Park at the parking lot where Rt 501 crosses the AT north of Bethel. At the north end of the parking lot is a driveway, twenty yards up the driveway is a sign that says Private Drive, turn left on the blue blazed trail. Fifty yards and you will see the shelter. Turn left again and there are three camp sites on the right. We usually take the middle one but it is hard to fit everyone in there so plan on spreading out. There are a lot of dead trees around so pick spots carefully.

We eat meat at these, it's not mandatory but you don't want to be the guy with ramen when everyone has angus prime. Weather looks warm at this point. Prepare for wind because it is the top of the mountain. Firewood is always needed. Pizza can be delivered to the parking lot.

If anyone need a piece of gear LMK. Jolly I have a non leaking CF tarp if you need it. :lol:
Haha, I have other tarps thanks

edcpreps
10-29-2013, 21:21
Dutch, I just ordered a Superfly & MambaJamba, an I'll have them for Saturday and I'll need cordage & accessories to hang it, can you bring some of your goodies I would need. It's my first tarp pitch, good tarp anyway. I want to make sure I have the best stuff, I'll bring plenty of $$$$$ lol

BrockLeigh
10-29-2013, 22:07
Ugh! I'm so Tempted. Every single time there is a hang in the tristate or Mid Atlantic area it always falls on a weekend I have my son. As a 4 y/o he is extremely adept at rustic car camping. He tells many he poops in holes but, I only have a system to keep me warm. I have never even attempted to get him to sleep in a hammock for the night. Perhaps sleep in mine with me? At projected 34degs, I may just have to keep passing. I bounce on the AT a bit but haven't seen the 501 to know what I'm would be getting him into. I'll get to meet you local guys one of these days and on said day, I will bring MEATS!

~Bizzle

Dutch
10-29-2013, 22:40
Dutch, I just ordered a Superfly & MambaJamba, an I'll have them for Saturday and I'll need cordage & accessories to hang it, can you bring some of your goodies I would need. It's my first tarp pitch, good tarp anyway. I want to make sure I have the best stuff, I'll bring plenty of $$$$$ lol

I will bring stuff but if you know what you need it helps.

Ugh! I'm so Tempted. Every single time there is a hang in the tristate or Mid Atlantic area it always falls on a weekend I have my son. As a 4 y/o he is extremely adept at rustic car camping. He tells many he poops in holes but, I only have a system to keep me warm. I have never even attempted to get him to sleep in a hammock for the night. Perhaps sleep in mine with me? At projected 34degs, I may just have to keep passing. I bounce on the AT a bit but haven't seen the 501 to know what I'm would be getting him into. I'll get to meet you local guys one of these days and on said day, I will bring MEATS!

~Bizzle
The shelter is completely enclosed but not heated. If you need a warm sleeping bag and pad I can help.

edcpreps
10-29-2013, 22:42
Dutch, I'm a noob, w/ knots an tarp hanging in general, I'll need everything lol. I don't mind spending more $ on good gear that won't fail me. Your the pro, I'm clueless lol

Dutch
10-29-2013, 22:51
Dutch, I'm a noob, w/ knots an tarp hanging in general, I'll need everything lol. I don't mind spending more $ on good gear that won't fail me. Your the pro, I'm clueless lol

Gotcha covered

edcpreps
10-29-2013, 22:52
Gotcha covered

Thanks buddy

EZ-DOES-IT
10-30-2013, 11:42
Hi everyone thinking about coming up but need driving directions from New Jersey I am right off of RT.80 exit 56 if this helps.
Thanks

JollyGreen
10-30-2013, 11:59
Hi everyone thinking about coming up but need driving directions from New Jersey I am right off of RT.80 exit 56 if this helps.
Thanks

Looks like you want to take I-80 east to I-287 south to I-78 west to exit 13 which is Bethel? It is rte 501, off exit take a right and go maybe 4 or 5 miles to the top of the mountain and there's a small parking area on the right side of the road. At the left side of the lot there's a trail, go to the chain across the trail, take a left, when you get to the shelter make another left on the blue blaze and we'll be up on the right just a bit.

Gadgets
10-30-2013, 12:00
Thanks

You just take 80 to 78 west and get off exit 13 onto 501 north. Very easy to get to.

Chris K
10-30-2013, 16:16
Hmm...I was planning to do a short Pinnacle and Pulpit loop in Hamburg with my 11y/o son who is a 1st time hammock hanger.

Maybe I'll meet up with you guys instead. My kid doesn't do vegetables so we can bring some meat and Wild Turkey. ;)

Any chance someone could give my boy and me a ride back to Rt 183 Sunday morning just in case we don't feel like trekking back? Is parking on RT 183 at the AT advisable, or is parking in the gamelands lot just south on Rt 183 a better idea?

Chris K

EZ-DOES-IT
10-30-2013, 16:40
Thank you Jollygreen and Gadgets for the directions:)

Dutch
10-30-2013, 18:20
Hmm...I was planning to do a short Pinnacle and Pulpit loop in Hamburg with my 11y/o son who is a 1st time hammock hanger.

Maybe I'll meet up with you guys instead. My kid doesn't do vegetables so we can bring some meat and Wild Turkey. ;)

Any chance someone could give my boy and me a ride back to Rt 183 Sunday morning just in case we don't feel like trekking back? Is parking on RT 183 at the AT advisable, or is parking in the gamelands lot just south on Rt 183 a better idea?

Chris K

Chris I won't be able to get you up to 183 because I will have a full car. We all go to the midway diner early Sunday morning. So really in order to get a ride you would have to commit to that too. Then I would guess your chances are better. I'd take you if I could and I am hoping someone steps up.

Uphill
10-30-2013, 18:43
Just committed to photographing a birthday party Saturday evening, or I would make the trip. I cannot wait to hang at the end of November.

Black Foot
10-30-2013, 18:47

Chris K

Chris - I can shuttle you and your son on Sunday morning to Rte 183 after breakfast. I have hiked that section and would recommend the Gamelands parking lot.

doogie
10-30-2013, 19:06
Chris - I can shuttle you and your son on Sunday morning to Rte 183 after breakfast. I have hiked that section and would recommend the Gamelands parking lot.
+3 on the gamelands lot. I have parked there 3 times and never had an issue.
I'll be thinking of you guys as I'm eating hamburgers and hot dogs cooked by my scout troop....last time the burgers were extra extra well done.

Dutch
10-30-2013, 19:09
FIY That parking lot is south on 183 about a half mile.

Chris K
11-01-2013, 07:51
Gamelands lot it is. See you guys up there Saturday evening some time.

Blackfoot - thank you for the shuttle offer. We may need to take you up on the offer.

Dutch
11-01-2013, 08:05
Only 10% chance of rain but expect wind. Lows in the 30s

edcpreps
11-01-2013, 08:50
Only 10% chance of rain but expect wind. Lows in the 30s

Sweet! Can't wait!

edcpreps
11-01-2013, 18:26
Should I bring some firewood w/ me?

Dutch
11-01-2013, 19:27
Should I bring some firewood w/ me?

Yes everything there will be wet. I am bringing a grill grate to put over the fire. Also bringing wings.

edcpreps
11-01-2013, 19:31
Yes everything there will be wet. I am bringing a grill grate to put over the fire. Also bringing wings.

I'll be buying the wood, so ill grab like 6 bundles of it. About $40 worth. So if anyone else plans on bringing some they should. Don't think what I'll grab alone, will last the whole time.

Dutch
11-01-2013, 19:43
I'll be buying the wood, so ill grab like 6 bundles of it. About $40 worth. So if anyone else plans on bringing some they should. Don't think what I'll grab alone, will last the whole time.

I bought $5 worth last week and it lasted the night. It took 2 trips to carry it. $40 seems like a lot. It is always good to leave some though.

Gadgets
11-01-2013, 19:45
What are you guys grillin steaks on?

edcpreps
11-01-2013, 19:46
I bought $5 worth last week and it lasted the night. It took 2 trips to carry it. $40 seems like a lot. It is always good to leave some though.

I guess when I'm controlling the fire I keep it large an hot, I burned through $60 worth of wood last weekend in one night.

But I'm buying bundles at Acme, so they are probably overpriced .

Dutch
11-01-2013, 21:16
What are you guys grillin steaks on?

Titanium or a grade for a fire pit.

edcpreps
11-02-2013, 12:20
See you guys in about 40 min

Gadgets
11-02-2013, 12:27
Is anyone else here yet?

Dutch
11-02-2013, 12:29
I hope to be there by 3. You are early, hang out at the shelter or the 2nd campsite. See you soon

Gadgets
11-02-2013, 12:35
The parking lot is pretty full. I think today is small game season. If you have orange it might not be bad to bring it.

Brewguy
11-03-2013, 15:29
I'd love to see some pictures of the setups with the kids and what not. Hope you all had a good time.

Gadgets
11-03-2013, 15:38
I think I may have been the only one to take any. I didn't get many but here they are.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/11/04/y3eqyveb.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/11/04/5yty3ery.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/11/04/pa8ynyte.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/11/04/2ana7a7e.jpg

Crash
11-03-2013, 17:41
which restaurant is that on Rte.78?

Gadgets
11-03-2013, 17:48
which restaurant is that on Rte.78?

That's Midway Diner. We had a great breakfast there this morning. I had fun time. A little windy and chilly but not bad. It was nice meeting everyone and hanging around the fire together. I can't wait until the next one.

Crash
11-03-2013, 19:38
Wish I could have called out of work to go to it!

yooz85
11-03-2013, 19:54
I hope the next one will land on my weekend off, I had a lot of fun the last time i went! Looks like you guys had a good time.

Dutch
11-03-2013, 21:39
Breakfast is my always favorite part.

doogie
11-04-2013, 07:24
Breakfast is my always favorite part.
As I was driving back from our troop campout at Bashore Scout camp (5 out of 14 in hammocks) a little after 9:00. I told my car full of scouts (funny how it was the 4 hammock hangers who always ride with me even though 2 of them have fathers driving other cars too) that that diner has a bunch of hammock hangers having a great breakfast. I really wanted to stop by, but we were in a caravan with others who just wouldn't understand.

It was a great weekend to be out. Wish I could have been both places.

Suede
11-04-2013, 08:05
One of these days I will make it. I have not been to the notorious 501. I was out on a backpacking trip this w/e with a group in Harriman SP. We did about 20 mi, came back with blisters and swollen joints, especially my right knee (which up to now was my good one). I am hobbling into work this morning. My wife told me about a trick for the blisters which is to take a needle and thread and pass it through the blister and let the thread absorb the fluid. Don't mean to hijack the thread but has anyone else heard of this? Maybe I'll start a separate thread on this.

JollyGreen
11-04-2013, 08:21
One of these days I will make it. I have not been to the notorious 501. I was out on a backpacking trip this w/e with a group in Harriman SP. We did about 20 mi, came back with blisters and swollen joints, especially my right knee (which up to now was my good one). I am hobbling into work this morning. My wife told me about a trick for the blisters which is to take a needle and thread and pass it through the blister and let the thread absorb the fluid. Don't mean to hijack the thread but has anyone else heard of this? Maybe I'll start a separate thread on this.
There is a whole thread on this subject somewhere, I'll search for it at lunch.

Suede
11-04-2013, 08:33
There is a whole thread on this subject somewhere, I'll search for it at lunch.

I think I found one. Thanks.

http://https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=80519&highlight=Blisters (https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=80519&highlight=Blisters)

JollyGreen
11-04-2013, 09:40
I think I found one. Thanks.

http://https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=80519&highlight=Blisters (https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=80519&highlight=Blisters)

That's the one

Chris K
11-04-2013, 13:18
So glad I changed my plans and met y'all up at the 501 shelter. I was great meeting everyone. It was my son's first time in a hammock overnight. He did just fine, and said he slept most of the night with only some slight cold back/butt syndrome. Probably didn't have the Jarbidge UQ snugged up enough, but it was pretty cold and windy. Breakfast was great.

In case I forgot during out short time together: Thanks Dutch for helping Colby and I find a site to hang, and use of the dutchware grill/grate to cook our steaks...oh and for the wings. Thanks Jolly Green for the chair rental around the campfire. Thanks Rusty for the potato salad, and Gadgets for the H20. Thanks edcpreps for the firewood. Thanks Blackfoot for the lift back to the car! And thank's to everyone else for the hospitality, stories and great company!

Here is a link to the GPS Tracks with out stats on Trimble Outdoors and some pics I took of my son & my 11mi hike in from Rt 183 to the 501 shelter, :

http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/ViewTrip/2483760#

Trimble Outdoors Tracks Map
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-9DEGrWxdOUs/Unfd76P37KI/AAAAAAAAA90/0aRjpA7BfPw/w640-h391-no/tracks+map.jpg

Fort Dietrich Snyder Monument
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-iMgs3usP-KM/UnfWeEmty-I/AAAAAAAAA8o/amxE02Br0uk/w640-h480-no/IMAG0643.jpg

AT Marker
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-a5zEv9WVPY4/UnfWeBBxG3I/AAAAAAAAA8k/0OtgCaASPaU/w640-h417-no/IMAG0645.jpg

Hertlein Campsite were Colby and I had lunch (bagel with tuna for me and PB&J for Cobster)
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-yoUqI5HBOM4/UnfWeE_3v5I/AAAAAAAAA8c/Y8io68yzJYo/w640-h436-no/IMAG0647.jpg

Two Turkey Vultures perched on Shikellamy overlook
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-LhwoRiXVBnM/UnfWeeZT3xI/AAAAAAAAA8w/DLEh3arBI64/w640-h480-no/IMAG0649.jpg

The view from Shikellamy overlook - still has some of the beautiful fall colors
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-tiMEQ8Gfvc8/UnfWeotOWZI/AAAAAAAAA9I/kTOqk_70JYc/w640-h480-no/IMAG0651.jpg

View from Round Head
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-P5mF5NyVXPU/UnfWexntjdI/AAAAAAAAA9E/k8c1LgRKfqc/w640-h480-no/IMAG0653.jpg

Colby on the Boulder Field about 3 miles or so from the 501 shelter
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-vzQCPoXo6wg/UnfWfVn02hI/AAAAAAAAA9M/KC8Zn1LGp18/w640-h480-no/IMAG0654.jpg

tat2ITgeek
11-07-2013, 19:48
Man I can't believe I missed this!! Right in my neck of the woods (so to speak!) Unfortunately, I was on call and could not have made it anyway. :(