PDA

View Full Version : SPE question

optimator
04-15-2009, 13:02
Does anyone here use the 4X4? It looks like it's the way to go for cold weather. And then just use it as a 2X2 when it's warmer. Anyone else do this? Am I even on track?:confused: It'll be used in a Claytor JH.

BillyBob58
04-15-2009, 20:43
I have used the 4x4. If you are going to use a pad inside a hammock as opposed to between layers on a double layer hammock, or stack pads thicker under your torso or stack them for any other reason, it is a great way to go. Several folks have said they are happy with the 2x2 but I think I need the 4x4.

pedro
04-15-2009, 21:13
I've got the 4x4 and it works well for me. Recently I've been using it with 2 wings on one side. That seems to work.

Shug
04-16-2009, 09:11
Go 4x4 for colder weather ... you will be glad that you did!

Ewker
04-16-2009, 12:51
I have used the 4x4. If you are going to use a pad inside a hammock as opposed to between layers on a double layer hammock, or stack pads thicker under your torso or stack them for any other reason, it is a great way to go. Several folks have said they are happy with the 2x2 but I think I need the 4x4.

ok stupid question. Why couldn't you use the SPE (either one) in a double layer hammock. I see no reason why it still wouldn't do what is suppose to do

optimator
04-16-2009, 13:05
ok stupid question. Why couldn't you use the SPE (either one) in a double layer hammock. I see no reason why it still wouldn't do what is suppose to do

I was wondering the same thing. It seems it might help alleviate the sweaty back problems too?

BillyBob58
04-16-2009, 17:38

I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work just fine in a double layer. But, assuming your pad is wide enough where you need it wide, you wouldn't need an SPE with a dbl layer hammock--- unless you wanted to stack pads, in which case it would still come in handy.

The pad pocket on a dbl layer would serve much of the function of the SPE, saving you a bit of cash and about 4 oz. OTOH, if you are using the SPE, you wouldn't really need to put the pads down in the dbl layer pad pocket, or even need a double layer at all. Although, it might be a little handy to keep the wings from trying to get up under you.

So far, I have no had any sweaty back issues when using an SPE in a single layer hammock, but people vary a good bit on that issue.

optimator
04-21-2009, 12:08
I just picked up a 2x2 :D I'm thinking I'll make the 4 extra wings, and attach them with velcro. That way when I don't need the extra insulation (or weight) I can leave them at home. And when I do need it, the velcro keeps the extra wings from slipping around.