PDA

View Full Version : Hang Spots Near Tacoma WA

wiskietango88
10-29-2013, 00:21
Just moved to Tacoma WA and am looking for places that are known as hammock friendly near by. I have been to scenic beach this past weekend and only one spot was hammock friendly. Trying to get in one more hang before Nov 9th. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

WT..

Mumbles
10-29-2013, 08:54
Olympic national forest and/or Olympic National Park. Areas in the Hamma Hamma, Duckabush, Dosewallips, Grey Wolf and Dungeness are good options. The state parks, not so much. Oddly some state park rangers are not impressed with hammocks on "their" trees.

Further, the Hoh Rainforest (ONP) also will be hammock fun and friendly.

How much of a hike are you looking for? How rigorous? How far from Tacoma?

wiskietango88
10-29-2013, 12:54
Olympic national forest and/or Olympic National Park. Areas in the Hamma Hamma, Duckabush, Dosewallips, Grey Wolf and Dungeness are good options. The state parks, not so much. Oddly some state park rangers are not impressed with hammocks on "their" trees.

Further, the Hoh Rainforest (ONP) also will be hammock fun and friendly.

How much of a hike are you looking for? How rigorous? How far from Tacoma?

Wanted to keep it close to the car for a couple of trips until I feel comfortable with the area. As far as distance from tacoma, an hour would be ideal but willing to go 2 hours out of the way.

Thanks for the reply! It really helps to get a better mental picture of the places I can go.

tony the tiger
11-18-2013, 00:31
Gotta' have a 'Discovery Pass' for State Parks and DNR sites - but maybe try the Sahara Creek Horse Camp near Ashford (on the way to the Nisqually entrance of Mt Rainier NP). Plenty of trees, free camping, vault toilets and cold water - horse folk don't much like it if you're not one of them, but it's open to all