PDA

View Full Version : Neat Sheet, Microfoam, Underquilt???

turkeyboy
04-16-2009, 20:15
Has anyone tried "microfoam (http://www.bubbleandfoampackaging.com/index.php?cPath=31)" sandwiched between say a neat sheet and a layer of sil as an underquilt?

fin
04-16-2009, 21:02
If that is the same stuff (and I think it is) that they use when they ship a laptop computer, between the screen and the keyboard, I have thought of this often. I have never been able to find it in small enough quantity, only in huge rolls, so I have never tried it. It would be EXTREMELY lightweight, though. And an excellent VB. And because it is so thin, it would pack well. If you can get a small quantity, try it out - I would.

canoebie
04-17-2009, 06:10
If that is the same stuff (and I think it is) that they use when they ship a laptop computer, between the screen and the keyboard, I have thought of this often. I have never been able to find it in small enough quantity, only in huge rolls, so I have never tried it. It would be EXTREMELY lightweight, though. And an excellent VB. And because it is so thin, it would pack well. If you can get a small quantity, try it out - I would.

Finn,

I thoroughly enjoy the fact that you will try or test anything at least once. That is a great spirit that leads to innovation. I appreciate that about this group. Causes me to examine my own assumptions.

fin
04-17-2009, 09:41
Finn,

I thoroughly enjoy the fact that you will try or test anything at least once. That is a great spirit that leads to innovation. I appreciate that about this group. Causes me to examine my own assumptions.

I'm all about using things for purposes other than what they are made for.:rolleyes: It drives my boss (and my wife, and other A-type personalities) crazy. You just never know for sure until you try - that has always been my modus operandi. And, its fun to mess with stuff.:lol:

Ken
04-17-2009, 10:07

Finn, check your local John Deere lawn mower dealer. There is a piece of that foam about 24" x 48" across the hood of each mower to protect the hood during shipping. It's mower season, so lots of them are being uncrated right now.

Ken

schrochem
04-17-2009, 10:42
no but I do use a neat sheet folded over several times and it works well for mild temps.
I don't like using a pad by itself because it I get condensation.
So I was going to try what you said but with evasote.
That could be interesting but I don't think the heat return would be much....
that new fabric they did a group buy on would probably be better.

seawolf
04-17-2009, 10:46
Has anyone tried "microfoam (http://www.bubbleandfoampackaging.com/index.php?cPath=31)" sandwiched between say a neat sheet and a layer of sil as an underquilt?

Picked up a windshield sunscreen at dollar store to make a cozy, think it is microfoam w/aluminum foil facing, 27"x62" only 3 bucks, going to use it on foam pad in my HHSS.

turkeyboy
04-17-2009, 11:06
Interesting replies. Thanks to all. I wonder if you could get some of this stuff at Uhaul or the UPS store? I'll check on my way home from work today . . . .

warbonnetguy
04-17-2009, 11:30
have you checked out a heetsheet? it's thin ocf (1/32") laminated to a reflective vb. pretty light, around 2 oz/yd

BOB1520
04-22-2009, 15:12
I was at Lowes today and I noticed that they use the same stuff for underlayment for the interlocking hardwood floors. I didn't see the price but it was in small quantities.

utilisateur
04-22-2009, 17:49
Oh i think this is what i meant in the Insultex thread.
Glad to have a name shorter than "white foamed PE stuff that looks like footfall sound isolation /
[the stuff they use] for underlayment for the interlocking hardwood floors

Guess i need to try that too now :laugh:

EDIT:
Being able to read helps .. ****

As this is LD PP i think its not the same as the footfall sound isolation (hd? PE)
So this is probably the soft and pliable packing stuff like the sheet they put between screen and keyboard on a laptop like Finn related to and the more rigid stuff for footfall insulation or sometimes used for packing too is PE

wow i couldnt imagine d* mn could be *ped

ChrisWolf
05-02-2009, 12:25
I have a roll of Laminate floor underlay which i am going to try out.

Maybe make a sandwich with aluminum type foil stuff?!?

Dirt cheap and plenty of it! light too!:D

turkeyboy
05-03-2009, 06:24
Make sure to post results when you do it. I have been tempted to pick some up at Home Depot, but haven't had the chance to do it yet. I think it will work . . . .

sclittlefield
05-12-2009, 21:00
I've been using that stuff for a while now. As mentioned, the heat return isn't that great - but I still have high hopes for it. I've not tried it as an underquilt, only as a pad.

I've sandwiched it between ripstop, double layers between ripstop, and even added a layer of space blanket between two layers of it with fleece on top, ripstop on bottom. That last one works pretty good, but needs more insulation for cold temps.

Because it's so thin I assume it compresses too much using it as a pad. Perhaps as an underquilt will do the trick. I'll give it a whirl.

Even though it's so thin, because it's CCF it doesn't pack crazy small, but still smaller than some other options.

vitamaltz
05-15-2009, 18:59
I made a 3/4 length underquilt with John Deere-hood microfoam sandwiched between the two layers of a cut-down neatsheet. I made it after a pretty cold night and might have gone overboard, but I used three sheets of foam. I think they're something like 18x36. I arranged them so they would overlap under my lower back and butt, with two sheets side-by-side under my torso and the other extending to mid-thigh in the center. The result is toasty with lows in the 50s; when I first get it I can feel the heat radiating back to me. The result is also unbearably bulky and only moderately light. I'm sure it could fold better if I just used one layer of foam. Since it is totally encased by the Neat Sheet, you could roll this and stow it on the top of your pack - it would shed water. I like the neat sheet without the foam for warmer temps. The NS/3-layer foam system is a workable poor man's mid-range UQ, but it's confined to car camping for me. Buy the family size NS and experiment to your heart's content - it's big enough to make numerous quilt cuts.

vitamaltz
05-15-2009, 19:01
P.S. - I used a seam ripper on the NS baffles. It took about two minutes.

turkeyboy
05-16-2009, 10:08
Interesting. Thanks for the info. Maybe this idea isn't as promising as I thought . . . .

vitamaltz
05-16-2009, 19:03
No, I think it's a good idea! I do a lot of car camping, and I'm happy to have this in my kit. I might have overstated the "moderately light" thing too. I currently have it tied rather than clipped to my bridge, and the two weighed in this morning at 22.2 oz, with bug netting removed. Furthermore, it's rigid enough that if you wanted to slip a real CCF pad in between the UQ and the hammock, it would hold it very snugly.

I do think it might be slightly different stuff than footfall insulation because the little foam cells flatten or pop if the foam is compressed too much and I imagine you wouldn't want that as a floor underlayment. Think of bubble wrap, but on a tiny scale and in a random pattern.

vitamaltz
05-20-2009, 16:40
I measured the UQ all by itself - 8 oz.

turkeyboy
05-20-2009, 20:56
That's pretty light. Maybe I'll have to give it a try.

kellyk7
05-29-2009, 11:51
have you checked out a heetsheet? it's thin ocf (1/32") laminated to a reflective vb. pretty light, around 2 oz/yd

Expand what a "HeetSheet" is for us if you can - I found these online

http://www.marathonblankets.com/solutions.html

These apear to be like those foil survival blankets you can get at sporting goods stores.

I remember as a kid I had a "survival blanket" that was nylon on one side, a thin batting of some kind and quilted foil on the inside. Made a good lite duty ground blanket.

Edit: I found that "Space" blankket - http://www.rei.com/product/407106

angrysparrow
05-29-2009, 11:54
I remember as a kid I had a "survival blanket" that was nylon on one side, a thin batting of some kind and quilted foil on the inside. Made a good lite duty ground blanket.

That's very similar. Here (http://www.rei.com/product/750939) is a HeatSheet.

kellyk7
05-29-2009, 12:13
That Might be better as a DIY base than the one I found - as it has not got the lace and grommets and other stuff to deal with, plus 10.00 cheaper

SmokeHouse
05-29-2009, 12:37
I have some Tyvek I used as a ground cloth. I was thinking about trying that hammocking this weekend hoping it will work for mild temps.

Macx
06-20-2009, 23:07
I was wondering about using the REI Space blanket KellyK7 mentioned, actually, that very one & then came here looking to see if anybody has tried it.

Please bear in mind I am a noob and have only just placed my order for a Clark. UPS is still a fair ways off & I am scouting for what I need to complete the kit. Lows right now are in the 60's and 70's & was thinking of using the two polarfleece bag liners I have used for tent camping in the past (double layered) but now with the space blanket between the two layers. Of course inside a tent the polar fleece had breathability . . . what concerns should I have about condensation?

What I have been using is like two of these: fleece bag liner (http://www.rei.com/product/763960) one inside the other. Add a space blanket (http://www.rei.com/product/407106) or don't bother? Please help this newbie.

Peter_pan
06-21-2009, 06:41
I was wondering about using the REI Space blanket KellyK7 mentioned, actually, that very one & then came here looking to see if anybody has tried it.

Please bear in mind I am a noob and have only just placed my order for a Clark. UPS is still a fair ways off & I am scouting for what I need to complete the kit. Lows right now are in the 60's and 70's & was thinking of using the two polarfleece bag liners I have used for tent camping in the past (double layered) but now with the space blanket between the two layers. Of course inside a tent the polar fleece had breathability . . . what concerns should I have about condensation?

What I have been using is like two of these: fleece bag liner (http://www.rei.com/product/763960) one inside the other. Add a space blanket (http://www.rei.com/product/407106) or don't bother? Please help this newbie.

Take a look at the weight of your proposal..... Those liners are quite heavy... Times two.... plus a SB to manage....And they do not compress much.

Pan

Macx
06-21-2009, 09:39
Yeah, I know I am sounding like a total newbie . . . is compression good for keeping me warm or is it just a bulk/weight thing? What I mean is, is this a bad idea for reasons once deployed or only a bad idea because it'll eat pack space and weigh in pretty heavy for carrying?

I am in an evolution from car camper to motorcycle camper, and this light weight thing hasn't had time to brew full strength in my conciousness yet, so I am encountering a learning curve.

kykcamper
06-23-2009, 10:36
It's good for pads to not compress when they are under you, but in the case of fleece, it comes down to packability. I have a homemade fleece liner that is almost as big and very near the weight of my 30* bag.

Taking two fleece bags will definately eat pack space and weigh in pretty heavy for carrying. You would probably be better off with a decent Mummy bag (some can be quite small depending on needed temp range, and then some sort of bottom insulation depending on your new hammock. I'm still new and figuring this all out as well.

pineapplenewton
06-23-2009, 23:03
Macx if you are getting a clark and its still only down to 60 wouldn't just putting extra clothes in the under pockets be enough under insulation?

Macx
06-25-2009, 08:42
I don't know. UPS says my first hammock is "In transit/ on time" and will be delivered on the 30th. I kinda wanted to go a little overkill with stuff to stay warm with. .. for my first hang. Reckon I can always remove stuff if I get out there and find myself too warm, but I want to avoid getting out there and not being warm enough. My last bout with hypothermia is still pretty fresh in my mind & it was a pretty bad one. . . . granted it was an early spring motorcycle ride that got delayed until I lost too much daylight, but I find myself wanting to err cautious rather than cold. Glad to hear the Clark with stuffed pockets will probably be enough. Reassurance is nice, as I am radically altering my camping style with this move to hammocks. I have never actually even seen one in person. . . closest thing would be the tent-cots Cabela's sells (and those look cool for car camping but don't pack small enough for motorcycle) and I have only seen those in the show room, otherwise it has always been a traditional tent in some diverse form.

titanium_hiker
03-31-2010, 06:48
sorry to dig up an old thread...

I'm going to try this this weekend and having found this thread again after losing it, posting in it helps me hang on to it.

TH

JerryW
03-31-2010, 08:19
posting in it helps me hang on to it.

Just an FYI - No need to post in a thread to be able to find it again. At the top of the thread is "Thread Tools". Just pick that and then "Subscribe to this Thread", confirm your choice, and it will be saved in your personal list of saved threads.

Jerry

vitamaltz
03-31-2010, 09:51
Jerry, thanks for the tip. I'd never noticed that before.

I'm glad this was drudged up. This beautiful sunny warm weather is making me think about a few new summer quilts. I'll have to dig the old neat sheet quilts out from the bottom of the pile.

JohnSawyer
04-14-2010, 00:09
Looks like insultex is really thin microfoam quilted to 2 layers of very thin scrim... I wonder if it would be less of a vapor barrier if it was needle-punched in some slightly thicker scrim like Insul-Brite....

I also noticed that Microfoam sold as pergo-type floor underlayment was cheap at Home Depot...