PDA

View Full Version : SoCal Hangers 2nd Annual Group Hang!>Cleveland National Forest>March 14th-16th, 2014

Pages : [1] 2

WillieCash
10-31-2013, 13:50
Well friends, it's official... The Second Annual SoCal Hangers group hang has been booked.

Friday March 14th through Sunday the 16th (This is a week earlier than previously discussed because of availability at the site)

My hope was that we could get some momentum going for SoCal hangers as I think we've been a bit underrepresented out here and it looks like that dream has come to fruition.

We will be at the group known as "Yarrow" at the Falcon Group Campground (next door to last year's BlueJay location in the Cleveland National Forest).

Falcon Group campground is off the Ortega Highway in the mountains just west of Lake Elsinore. It's certainly cold enough, has plenty of trees, is open year round, is removed from the city, and is close enough to civilization that an escape route is feasible. There is water (non-potable) and vault toilets present.

The group site is quite large (up to 70 people with parking for 10 automobiles). I have no delusions about getting 70 people out there, but at it will give us plenty of space to spread out, park, and hopefully avoid any OC Brosephs blasting music into the night.

http://www.reserveamerica.com/camping/Falcon_Group/r/campgroundDetails.do?page=details&contractCode=NRSO&parkId=70144&topTabIndex=CampingSpot

So here's what I'll need from you:

1) Confirmation that you will be going in this thread

2) Payment of $15 per person ($10 per kids)
I paid $249 up-front for the group campsite and would like to get it back when I can.
Please send your payment in to PayPal at the address [email protected] when you can
If I collect more than $240 I will put it towards wood, water, or other group supplies that might come up.

3) Be prepared to come up and have a great time

There is plenty of hiking in the area. Last year, SoCal Mike hiked out to Sitton Peak. The trailhead is down the Ortega Hwy toward San Juan Capistrano, about 5 minutes by car. You will need an Adventure Pass to park in the lot across the street from the candy store. The hike is ~10 miles roundtrip and takes me about 4 hours, with a nice break at the peak. It is not very difficult EXCEPT for the final 1/4 mile to the peak. It is very steep at that point. But it offers one of the best views of Orange County and beyond.

We will have a potluck on Saturday night where everybody brings something for the group to share. We had a fine assortment of Carne Asada, Chili, Smoked Salmon, Potatoes, Cornbread, Jalapeño Poppers, and about a half dozen other items that really hit the spot. This seemed to be one of the things most enjoyed by everyone so please be sure to plan for it.

Let's plan on bringing out not only our hammock gear, but also any backpacking or outdoors gear we have so everybody can take a look at how others rough it. I'm always impressed by new technology and especially DIY stuff. If anyone wants to ask questions about those and how they're made, that's great. Bring a few extra items, even if they don't need them, so we can all take a look and learn from everybody's different rigs.

Non-hangers are welcome to come out for the weekend and take a look at what they are missing. Just make sure they are prepared to hear a whole lot of hammock geek talk!

Well-behaved kids are welcome. Especially since we will be occupying such a large space. It was great to see the kids that came along last year learning about hammocking and backpacking. Car camping tends to lead to (at least) a fair share of oat sodas being consumed and spreading out will help make sure the kids aren't adversely affected by any questionable behavior. We did a good share of drinking at the first group hang and I imagine suit will follow this time. Upon arrival, please be sure to leave a section of the large site for people that might want to put their kids to bed relatively early and away from carousing. This is an experience for everyone and we want to make sure people feel comfortable coming out.

Well-behaved dogs are also welcome. Park regulations require them to remain on a leash.

Lastly, we received some feedback regarding the SoCal hangers emblem having a whiskey bottle on it. The concern was that it represents an activity that not all of the Hammockforums.net community condones. Which I think is totally reasonable. If you'll notice, on the emblem I have taken out references to Hammockforums.net and left only the text displaying "SoCal Hangers". This way we can retain the spirit cultivated by the group last year without representing hammockforums.net directly. If you use the emblem for patches, signage, stickers, etc... please use the graphic without the hammockforums.net lettering.

Items to bring:

1) Hammock Rig

2) Drinking Water!!! The campground is listed as having potable water but my buddy and I got sick from it last time.

3) At least one bundle of firewood, per person for each night staying. I'm bringing two to be safe. I love a fire.

4) Potluck Dish of some sort for Saturday dinner

5) Toilet paper. There are supplied vault toilets but it is better to be safe than rely on the forestry service.

6) Other Camping Gear you think others would benefit by seeing.

7) Obvious stuff like food, water, clothes, bourbon, etc...

Directions:

From the 15 (East Side):

Take Exit 77 to get on to Highway 74
Head West (Towards the lake)
Right on Collier (light)
Left on Riverside Dr (light)
Pass the lake
Riverside Drive curves to the left and becomes Grand
Turn Rght on Ortega Highway 74 up the mountain
Go up the hill to just a mile or two past the crest
Get off the highway by making a right at No. Main Divide road
No. Main Divide road is just before a campground on the right
Take the paved road in the middle (DO NOT GO TO THE SITE RIGHT BY THE HIGHWAY)
You will go about 15 minutes back and likely feel like you have gone too far.
Look for potholes and narrow roads.
Follow Signs to Falcon Group Campsite
Yarrow Is at the end

From the 5 (West Side):

Take Exit 82 to get on to Highway 74
Head East (Into the Mountains) for about 23 miles
Make a left on to No. Main Divide road just after the fire station (on the right)
No. Main Divide road is just after a campground on the left
Yarrow Is at the end

Anybody have any ideas for activities beyond what is listed above? A poker game perhaps? Bean bag tosses? Horseshoes? Raffle? Scavenger hunt for the kids? List your ideas below!

Now that all of that's out of the way... Let's get the ball rolling and the sheets hanging!

Yours in hanging,
Addam
(AKA: WillieCash)

GIHanger
10-31-2013, 14:13
I have horse shoes. My kids love to go on GeoCashe hunts-- we could either go hunting in the area or make a cashe.

How about a car trunk sale for gear?
I'll be bringing my 7 year old.

I have a big truck so if someone wants to hitch a ride I live in the Riverside area.

WillieCash
10-31-2013, 15:44
Great suggestion!

I'm always down for some horseshoes!

Let's see how many kids will be coming out and we can see who wants to take the lead on planning some activities for them.

1-Hung-Low
10-31-2013, 16:55
I'm in, $$ sent!

Boots13
10-31-2013, 17:30
I've got some DIY cornhole boards ill bring, and if its cool ill make those jalapeno poppers again.

WillieCash
10-31-2013, 17:40
Glad to hear you can make it, I thought with the date change it might be difficult.

GI-JOE 077 will be happy to hear about anything involving cornholing.

And of course the Cornhole game is DIY! I'm surprised you didn't build your truck from scratch!

Those Jalepeno Poppers were outstanding.

arczeneb
10-31-2013, 23:36
Find your tree, quiet area in the back with a fire pit.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XVxhe16L94M&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DXVxhe16L94M

Boots13
11-01-2013, 00:12
Glad to hear you can make it, I thought with the date change it might be difficult.

GI-JOE 077 will be happy to hear about anything involving cornholing.

And of course the Cornhole game is DIY! I'm surprised you didn't build your truck from scratch!

Those Jalepeno Poppers were outstanding.

Haha yea I just swapped some stuff on my calender and it should be all good. Oh and unfortunatley my diy skills end at the sewing machine, trust me the cornhole boards will show that. And I'm glad you liked those poppers ill have some more of that diy bacon.

iRokk
11-03-2013, 18:26
Ah, here's the correct thread! I'll already be taking a few days off in Jan for my gf's birthday, but hopefully she and I can make the hang! I'll just be sure to not miss any days in Feb and go in if they need me on a day off :p

mangus7175
11-04-2013, 15:02
I should be able to make it...date looks ok to me :D

iRokk
11-04-2013, 15:08
I've been trying to find a time to meet all the other SoCal hangers and this time i hope it works out, any word from JohnSawyer? He hasn't been on much since the mod-shift.

WillieCash
11-04-2013, 19:05
I sent PMs to everybody that I knew was in SoCal, including JohnSawyer.

gunner76
11-04-2013, 19:27
Brings back memories from camping there in the 70's and 80's. Wish I could make it. Have fun.

SoCal Mike
11-04-2013, 23:48
I'm planning on it. I will be there unless something crazy turns up. Looking forward to another awesome potluck. Thanks for organizing again!

Michael (SoCal Mike)

TheQ
11-07-2013, 18:39
Sounds like a blast. Unfortunately I'm freelance and rarely know my schedule more than 2 weeks in advance.
Maybe I'll get lucky.

BC9696
11-11-2013, 14:51
What happens when the ten parking spots are full?

WillieCash
11-12-2013, 18:35
What happens when the ten parking spots are full?

I guess we all go home :scared:

I believe there is additional parking at the campground's entrance. If not, I'm sure we can work out a place to park in El Cariso village.

All that said, I would encourage people to carpool when possible. Last year I think the most we had was 7 vehicles at one time but hopefully more people come.

I will talk with the rangers when I get there about options and post here the day of (There is cell service at the grounds)

WillieCash
11-13-2013, 14:51
Also... Please reach out to people you know that might not be on this board as much as they used to and encourage them to sign in if only to come out to th ehang.

I guess after "Modergate" there have been quite a few folks that left.

Triggerhpy
11-13-2013, 17:40
Yee haw. I wish I could go but I'll working at the slopes this winter. But if anyone wants a "Cold Butt Hang" in Big Bear for Feb. I could hook you up. Last year temps got down to *8.
Hope ya'll have a good time.

agent00111
11-13-2013, 21:28
Yee haw. I wish I could go but I'll working at the slopes this winter. But if anyone wants a "Cold Butt Hang" in Big Bear for Feb. I could hook you up. Last year temps got down to *8.
Hope ya'll have a good time.

Any good recommendations for winter camping in/around Big Bear, maybe snow shoe in? Any trails from backside of lifts, or is that all off-limits?

iRokk
11-13-2013, 22:42
I guess after "Modergate" there have been quite a few folks that left.

"Modergate", I like that :D but sadly, I've noticed that too. I don't get it, it's not like there is a more informative, friendlier, or easier to use replacement out there :confused:

Triggerhpy
11-14-2013, 15:14
Any good recommendations for winter camping in/around Big Bear, maybe snow shoe in? Any trails from backside of lifts, or is that all off-limits?

2N93 off HWY 38 Greenspot group camp is "closed" for the winter but you can hike/snowshoe in.

ripcurlksm
11-21-2013, 01:59
In!

Would be great to see you guys again, last trip was a lot of fun!

I'm still camping every weekend and just check other forums like bushcraftusa... i just feel like i have my hammock dialed in, so i dont check in here as often. i need to get my can over here more often! :)

ripcurlksm
11-21-2013, 02:04
Payment Sent, Lets get Willie his cash back and send that $15 via paypal to [email protected]

ripcurlksm
11-21-2013, 02:07
Also Willie, I am really glad the bottle of booze stayed in for the patch. Were there any made? Would still pick up a few for fun.

WillieCash
11-21-2013, 12:10
I haven't made any of the patches. I was going to see if I could get paid back for the campsite first, then worry about ordering htem.

Triggerhpy
11-25-2013, 17:56
Back side of Summit and Bear is on the south facing slope more sun and less snow.

Mudman
11-26-2013, 03:45
I'm going to try and make this one this time. Would love to meet you hooligans!

I want a few of those patches! Coolest ones I've seen in a while that didn't involve skulls of some sort.

Mudman
11-26-2013, 03:49
Just sent a payment.

WillieCash
11-26-2013, 12:08
Thanks to all who have sent payment.

Dropping $250 before the holidays on a campsite for March was a hard sell to Mrs. WillieCash!

(That said, I'm still quite behind so as soon as you can commit to coming, I'd appreciate it if others would do the same. If your plans change I'm happy to provide a refund)

Mudman
11-27-2013, 00:45
How much is left Willie?

SoCal Mike
11-27-2013, 10:22
Payment sent. Thanks for organizing, Addam! I'm looking forward to the potluck and some more of that chili.

Michael (SoCal Mike)

whoismiketruong
11-27-2013, 12:33
Any room for at least one more hanger?

WillieCash
11-27-2013, 14:45
How much is left Willie?

3 people paid so far, so there's $210.00 out there still.

I can wait for it, no big deal. It's just handy of those that are going pay when they can.

WillieCash
11-27-2013, 14:46
Any room for at least one more hanger?

There is TONS of room left. I don't anticipate we will run out.

I got a group campground that will accomodate up to 70 people.

WillieCash
11-27-2013, 14:46
Payment sent. Thanks for organizing, Addam! I'm looking forward to the potluck and some more of that chili.

Michael (SoCal Mike)

Thanks Mike!

BC9696
11-30-2013, 13:00
You've got money! Ortega is 50-50 for me but I appreciate your effort.

WillieCash
12-02-2013, 12:36
Thanks BC, I will refund you if you don't go.

sierraflyguide
12-02-2013, 13:09
I'd love to make it to this hang, it is my daughter's 18th birthday, so I'm going to have to get her to accept such a wonderful gift before I can confirm (she loves the hammock, so maybe...).

tex
12-06-2013, 11:50

check out the Skyline Trail...above Snow Summit. GREAT hanging options up there. :)

tex
12-06-2013, 11:55
I will not know until after the first of the year.
I'd like to join in on the group hang. :)

WillieCash
12-06-2013, 12:14
I'd love to make it to this hang, it is my daughter's 18th birthday, so I'm going to have to get her to accept such a wonderful gift before I can confirm (she loves the hammock, so maybe...).

Sounds good, just let me know!

WillieCash
12-06-2013, 12:15
I will not know until after the first of the year.
I'd like to join in on the group hang. :)

Hope you can make it.

iRokk
12-08-2013, 14:51
I won't know until february, most likely, but if I can make it I will be sure to get you the money for myself and my girlfriend post-haste! I also hope it warms up a little, as I opted to buy a new laptop instead of warm downy goodness this winter. Although nothing says I can't just bring my pluq and blankets and down jackets to supplement it :lol: yay for car camping!

1-Hung-Low
12-08-2013, 15:00
I won't know until february, most likely, but if I can make it I will be sure to get you the money for myself and my girlfriend post-haste! I also hope it warms up a little, as I opted to buy a new laptop instead of warm downy goodness this winter. Although nothing says I can't just bring my pluq and blankets and down jackets to supplement it :lol: yay for car camping!

Ryan, I can loan you my Jarbidge 30° UQ. Just make sure you remind me as the event gets closer...

SoCal Mike
12-09-2013, 09:42
Ryan, I can loan you my Jarbidge 30° UQ. Just make sure you remind me as the event gets closer...

Now, that's the spirit! Since this is car camping, what a lot of us did last time was bring extra gear so hangers could see it, experiment with it or borrow it for a night. If someone is short of something or has an interest in some sort of gear, just say so and other guys may be able to chip in. I hope to bring a DIY backpack to show off. Trust me, it ain't pretty, but I think others will like to see it.

Michael (SoCal Mike)

WillieCash
12-09-2013, 14:09
Now, that's the spirit! Since this is car camping, what a lot of us did last time was bring extra gear so hangers could see it, experiment with it or borrow it for a night. If someone is short of something or has an interest in some sort of gear, just say so and other guys may be able to chip in. I hope to bring a DIY backpack to show off. Trust me, it ain't pretty, but I think others will like to see it.

Michael (SoCal Mike)

Remember how OneThatHikes showed up last year with a bedsheet and some hitch straps and ended up with a full rig to sleep on? One of my favorite parts of the 2013 trip.

Looking forward to seeing that backpack!

mangus7175
12-09-2013, 19:41

Michael (SoCal Mike)

I've made a couple backpacks too :lol: We can compare each other's handy work :D

Also made a synthetic UQ..maybe I can sleep on my rig this time around. Anyone bringing kids? Debating if I should take my kiddos with me again.

iRokk
12-10-2013, 01:18

Wow, thanks! I will bring the "experimental hammock" I have been working on, too, if I make it. In fact, the gf may want to sleep in that one instead of our DN... If so, and if it is finished, I may not need additional bottom insulation :p Still got lots of work to do, though

SoCal Mike
12-10-2013, 09:29
I've made a couple backpacks too :lol: We can compare each other's handy work :D

Also made a synthetic UQ..maybe I can sleep on my rig this time around. Anyone bringing kids? Debating if I should take my kiddos with me again.

Cool. Have you posted pics of your packs on your blog?

SoCal Mike
12-10-2013, 09:31
Remember how OneThatHikes showed up last year with a bedsheet and some hitch straps and ended up with a full rig to sleep on? One of my favorite parts of the 2013 trip.

That was hilarious! Ghetto hammock--gotta love that. I couldn't believe he actually put that thing together.

I will bring an extra DIY Grizz Bridge Hammock. It's light weight but can handle anyone who weighs about 190# or less if anyone wants to try a bridge.

Michael

mangus7175
12-10-2013, 12:14
Cool. Have you posted pics of your packs on your blog?

Check my sig below, I have a link to it. My second backpack has not been documented but I plan on bringing it. The latest pack I made weighs around 12 oz., has a hipbelt, sternum belt w/ whistle :lol:...all in all it carries fairly well.

SoCal Mike
12-11-2013, 09:42
Check my sig below, I have a link to it. My second backpack has not been documented but I plan on bringing it. The latest pack I made weighs around 12 oz., has a hipbelt, sternum belt w/ whistle :lol:...all in all it carries fairly well.

Whoops! Shoulda noticed the link in your signature. That pack came out great. I really like the large side pockets. I'm looking forward to seeing the new one at the hang.

Michael

WillieCash
12-11-2013, 18:04

Pretty sweet, Mang!

The backpack is nice and all... but I won't be fully impressed until you actually sleep in your hammock.

If you bring the tent this year you might wake up to find it's been turned upside down and hung from a tree to give you that hammock experience you've been missing!

mangus7175
12-16-2013, 14:48
Pretty sweet, Mang!

The backpack is nice and all... but I won't be fully impressed until you actually sleep in your hammock.

If you bring the tent this year you might wake up to find it's been turned upside down and hung from a tree to give you that hammock experience you've been missing!

:lol: I had an excuse why I didn't sleep in my rig ;)

Couldn't let my little girl sleep all by herself inside the tent :D

WillieCash
01-02-2014, 11:31
Boy, am I looking forward to this!

WillieCash
01-06-2014, 14:38
Now that we have past the new year, let's get some people confirming!

WillieCash
01-13-2014, 15:36
So who do we have going so far?

Am I missing anybody? Please confirm ASAP!

Confirmed:
WillieCash
GI Hanger +1 Kid
1-Hung-Low
Boots13
Arczeneb (May I take your post as confirmation?)
Mangus7175
SoCal Mike
BC9696
ripcurlksm
whoismiketruong

Maybe:
iRokk
Chetter
TheQ
Mudman
sierraflyguide
tex

mangus7175
01-13-2014, 16:11
Confirming my attendance...I'll change later as appropriate but for now I'm 100%

ripcurlksm
01-14-2014, 00:13
I'll be bringing my 10" dobsonian telescope!

Armando
01-14-2014, 03:27
Hi Guys,
Ya, sound like a good trip. I def. plan on being there!

Well friends, it's official... The Second Annual SoCal Hangers group hang has been booked.

Friday March 14th through Sunday the 16th (This is a week earlier than previously discussed because of availability at the site)

My hope was that we could get some momentum going for SoCal hangers as I think we've been a bit underrepresented out here and it looks like that dream has come to fruition.

We will be at the group known as "Yarrow" at the Falcon Group Campground (next door to last year's BlueJay location in the Cleveland National Forest).

Falcon Group campground is off the Ortega Highway in the mountains just west of Lake Elsinore. It's certainly cold enough, has plenty of trees, is open year round, is removed from the city, and is close enough to civilization that an escape route is feasible. There is water (non-potable) and vault toilets present.

The group site is quite large (up to 70 people with parking for 10 automobiles). I have no delusions about getting 70 people out there, but at it will give us plenty of space to spread out, park, and hopefully avoid any OC Brosephs blasting music into the night.

http://www.reserveamerica.com/camping/Falcon_Group/r/campgroundDetails.do?page=details&contractCode=NRSO&parkId=70144&topTabIndex=CampingSpot

So here's what I'll need from you:

1) Confirmation that you will be going in this thread

2) Payment of $15 per person ($10 per kids)
I paid $249 up-front for the group campsite and would like to get it back when I can.
Please send your payment in to PayPal at the address [email protected] when you can
If I collect more than $240 I will put it towards wood, water, or other group supplies that might come up.

3) Be prepared to come up and have a great time

There is plenty of hiking in the area. Last year, SoCal Mike hiked out to Sitton Peak. The trailhead is down the Ortega Hwy toward San Juan Capistrano, about 5 minutes by car. You will need an Adventure Pass to park in the lot across the street from the candy store. The hike is ~10 miles roundtrip and takes me about 4 hours, with a nice break at the peak. It is not very difficult EXCEPT for the final 1/4 mile to the peak. It is very steep at that point. But it offers one of the best views of Orange County and beyond.

We will have a potluck on Saturday night where everybody brings something for the group to share. We had a fine assortment of Carne Asada, Chili, Smoked Salmon, Potatoes, Cornbread, Jalapeño Poppers, and about a half dozen other items that really hit the spot. This seemed to be one of the things most enjoyed by everyone so please be sure to plan for it.

Let's plan on bringing out not only our hammock gear, but also any backpacking or outdoors gear we have so everybody can take a look at how others rough it. I'm always impressed by new technology and especially DIY stuff. If anyone wants to ask questions about those and how they're made, that's great. Bring a few extra items, even if they don't need them, so we can all take a look and learn from everybody's different rigs.

Non-hangers are welcome to come out for the weekend and take a look at what they are missing. Just make sure they are prepared to hear a whole lot of hammock geek talk!

Well-behaved kids are welcome. Especially since we will be occupying such a large space. It was great to see the kids that came along last year learning about hammocking and backpacking. Car camping tends to lead to (at least) a fair share of oat sodas being consumed and spreading out will help make sure the kids aren't adversely affected by any questionable behavior. We did a good share of drinking at the first group hang and I imagine suit will follow this time. Upon arrival, please be sure to leave a section of the large site for people that might want to put their kids to bed relatively early and away from carousing. This is an experience for everyone and we want to make sure people feel comfortable coming out.

Well-behaved dogs are also welcome. Park regulations require them to remain on a leash.

Lastly, we received some feedback regarding the SoCal hangers emblem having a whiskey bottle on it. The concern was that it represents an activity that not all of the Hammockforums.net community condones. Which I think is totally reasonable. If you'll notice, on the emblem I have taken out references to Hammockforums.net and left only the text displaying "SoCal Hangers". This way we can retain the spirit cultivated by the group last year without representing hammockforums.net directly. If you use the emblem for patches, signage, stickers, etc... please use the graphic without the hammockforums.net lettering.

Items to bring:

1) Hammock Rig

2) Drinking Water!!! The campground is listed as having potable water but my buddy and I got sick from it last time.

3) At least one bundle of firewood, per person for each night staying. I'm bringing two to be safe. I love a fire.

5) Toilet paper. There are supplied vault toilets but it is better to be safe than rely on the forestry service.

Directions:

From the 15 (East Side):

Right on Collier (light)
Pass the lake
Yarrow Is at the end

From the 5 (West Side):

Make a left on to No. Main Divide road just after the fire station (on the right)
Yarrow Is at the end

Anybody have any ideas for activities beyond what is listed above? A poker game perhaps? Bean bag tosses? Horseshoes? Raffle? Scavenger hunt for the kids? List your ideas below!

Now that all of that's out of the way... Let's get the ball rolling and the sheets hanging!

Yours in hanging,
Addam
(AKA: WillieCash)

Armando
01-14-2014, 03:28
Ya, Sounds great! I'll be there…..

Little Dude
01-14-2014, 11:15
Ladies and gentleman;
Back from the past.. formally known as GI Joe 007
and without further ado, take this opportunity to reintroduce myself as The Dude....
forgive me I need some time to play catch up. with that said, you have my commitment, that I will be there, Last year I was part of an advanced party, I'm volunteering my services as well, give me some time to review the threads see where we're at

WillieCash
01-14-2014, 12:06
Updated:

Confirmed:
WillieCash
GI Hanger +1 Kid
1-Hung-Low
Boots13
Mangus7175
SoCal Mike
BC9696
ripcurlksm
whoismiketruong
Armando
The Dude

Maybe:
iRokk
Chetter
TheQ
Mudman
sierraflyguide
tex

WillieCash
01-14-2014, 13:37
Is Michael coming, too?

Ladies and gentleman;
Back from the past.. formally known as GI Joe 007
and without further ado, take this opportunity to reintroduce myself as The Dude....
forgive me I need some time to play catch up. with that said, you have my commitment, that I will be there, Last year I was part of an advanced party, I'm volunteering my services as well, give me some time to review the threads see where we're at

Little Dude
01-14-2014, 14:06
Yes, Micheal is coming, when we get Time I'll have Michael set up his own account.... !

PS. I want my triple set DVD's (titled Richard Simmons workout) give'em Back WillyCash.... come on Dude you have them long enough.....

1thathikes
01-14-2014, 15:27

Count me as confirmed. This time I'll have more than a sheet of nylon for a hammock. Can't wait to go. I'll bring my now completed bed sheet hammock:) and my DYI tarp I used on the JMT last year. Maybe I'll try and make a few spare hammocks for any one that doesn't have one. Thanks Willie for organizing again. Looking forward to the feast!

Miguel
01-14-2014, 15:32
I'm giving this some serious thought. We're from New York but have lots of relatives in SoCal!

Miguel

WillieCash
01-14-2014, 15:58
That's the spirit, gentlemen.

Updated:

Confirmed:
WillieCash
GI Hanger +1 Kid
1-Hung-Low
Boots13
Mangus7175
SoCal Mike
BC9696
ripcurlksm
whoismiketruong
Armando
The Dude +1 Kid
1thathikes

Maybe:
iRokk
Chetter
TheQ
Mudman
sierraflyguide
tex
Miguel

When you can, and you're sure you are going;
Payment of $15 per person ($10 per kids)

WillieCash
01-14-2014, 15:59
I want my triple set DVD's (titled Richard Simmons workout) give'em Back WillyCash.... come on Dude you have them long enough.....

You can get them back at the hang... but I'm keeping the dolphin shorts

WillieCash
01-14-2014, 16:00
Count me as confirmed. This time I'll have more than a sheet of nylon for a hammock. Can't wait to go. I'll bring my now completed bed sheet hammock:) and my DYI tarp I used on the JMT last year. Maybe I'll try and make a few spare hammocks for any one that doesn't have one. Thanks Willie for organizing again. Looking forward to the feast!

Awesome!

The recipient of the Most Hardcore 2013 Award is coming!

Little Dude
01-14-2014, 16:04
Wow; Bigger and Better than Last Year
I hope Mangus will do a Demonstration on how too, cooking pots and Packing Lecture, me and my son found this Invaluable Info, & Hope Mangus can expand on further Outdoorsman, Packing Skills....

Little Dude
01-14-2014, 16:20
You can get them back at the hang... but I'm keeping the dolphin shorts

How did you get the "Stains Out"

Dos
01-14-2014, 16:26
I'm in!!

And I want a patch with the whiskey bottle!! :laugh:

(let me know how I can help out.
getting a ride with arczeneb. )

WillieCash
01-14-2014, 16:26
How did you get the "Stains Out"

Why would I?

We should probably stop this line of jokes now... don't want to violate the family friendly rules.

Little Dude
01-14-2014, 16:51
Whats this about Patches.. ? I want some .. PM coming your way Willie...

WillieCash
01-14-2014, 16:52
I'll start updating once or twice a week from now on... I just wanted to start some momentum.

As for patches... once I get paid back for the site I'm hoping to have enough extra to get some going. The set-up fee is the hard part. After that, each one is fairly inexpensive.

Confirmed:
WillieCash
GI Hanger +1 Kid
1-Hung-Low
Boots13
Arczeneb
Dos
Mangus7175
SoCal Mike
BC9696
ripcurlksm
whoismiketruong
Armando
The Dude +1 Kid
1thathikes

Maybe:
iRokk
Chetter
TheQ
Mudman
sierraflyguide
tex
Miguel

When you can, and you're sure you are going;
Payment of $15 per person ($10 per kids)

Little Dude
01-14-2014, 19:18
We should probably stop this line of jokes now...

Yes I would Agree, Forgive my Animation, just Excited about being back with HF...

SoCal Mike
01-15-2014, 09:49
I'm giving this some serious thought. We're from New York but have lots of relatives in SoCal!

Miguel

Hey, Miguel. It'd be great to see you again and catch up with you. Would love to hear about your trip to Peru.

Michael

(Miguel is largely responsible for starting my addiction to hammock camping by demonstrating his TTTG Switchback hammock a couple of years back.)

SoCal Mike
01-15-2014, 10:53
Hey, Dude!

If you still have my folding chair from the last hang, I'd appreciate it if you brought it with you. (I still can't believe I left it behind.)

Michael

Little Dude
01-15-2014, 14:45
Hey, Dude!

If you still have my folding chair from the last hang, I'd appreciate it if you brought it with you. (I still can't believe I left it behind.)

Michael

Yes I do... But ! It Kinda got Ripped ! My Bad, Give a Price and I will make Good on Reimbursement $$$$

WillieCash
01-15-2014, 16:00
Hey, Miguel. It'd be great to see you again and catch up with you. Would love to hear about your trip to Peru.

Michael

(Miguel is largely responsible for starting my addiction to hammock camping by demonstrating his TTTG Switchback hammock a couple of years back.)

Is this the Miguel that was there last year?

Man, you gotta come!

Especially if you went to Peru... that's a bucket list trip I plan on making in the next few years... AS a side note, I finally perfected my Ceviche Peruano after ten years!

SoCal Mike
01-15-2014, 18:19
Yes I do... But ! It Kinda got Ripped ! My Bad, Give a Price and I will make Good on Reimbursement $$$$

No worries. As far as I'm concerned I left it behind and hope someone got some use out of it.

-Michael

Miguel
01-15-2014, 23:00

Michael

I was thinking the same thing Michael! I'll also have to tell you about our hike across Spain. I already ran it past my wife...she's interested. BTW...I'm in Ridgerunner these days.

Take care, Miguel

SoCal Mike
01-16-2014, 09:36
I was thinking the same thing Michael! I'll also have to tell you about our hike across Spain. I already ran it past my wife...she's interested. BTW...I'm in Ridgerunner these days.

Take care, Miguel

Well, now you have to come. Not only do you have stories to tell, you have a new hammock to show off. (I've been using a Grizz Bridge for quite a while now--love the bridges.)

Michael

The Dude
01-16-2014, 19:43
It is with Undue pleasure, to Announce that GI Joe has been charged with an felony Assault, after witnesses, testified that he Struck "KEN" in a Fit of rage...
TBZ is reporting that GI Joe and Barbie, skipped Bail, and ran of to Barbados.

The Dude
01-16-2014, 21:25
Ladies and Gentleman, From Los Angles California, It is with Great pleasure to announce our Newest Member.... Bringing to you, Live with Face Melting "Shreds".. :lol:

Little Dude.....

Little Dude
01-16-2014, 21:29
Pay no attention to my dad hes a goofball sometimes. Can't wait till the blujay hammock hang :shades:

SoCal Mike
01-17-2014, 21:54
I'm hoping guys can bring some gear to show off or give demos:

Here's my wish list:

A wood burning stove
Any bridge hammock
Gear hammock
Anything that is DIY, so I can learn from you and ask questions.

For my part, I am planning on bringing my Grizz Bridge again and some DIY backpacks.

Michael (SoCal Mike)

The Dude
01-18-2014, 11:15
For my part, I am planning on bringing my Grizz Bridge again and some DIY backpacks.

SO. Cal Mike, I recall your Hammock (Griz Bridge) was the Rage last year, I have some Pic's with Little Dude in the Back Round, I'll get Little Dude to Post em' for my computers Skill's are Weak....
I look Forward to seeing your DIY Back Packs ?
Mangus, did a DIY, Hands On Demo's as well, and if my Memory Serves me Correctly, Last year was just thrown together, what Started out as Two Guys (Cheater & WilleCash) just posted where they where going, Just to see if would Stick, Low & Behold, here we are.....

1thathikes
01-18-2014, 18:03
SoCal Mike I just ordered material to make a Bridge hammock with a built in under quilt. With any luck it won't be a disaster but success or not I'll bring it. One thing I'd love to see is desserts you can cook on the trail. Demonstrations of this would be great, for educational purposes of course.

SoCal Mike
01-18-2014, 20:29
SoCal Mike I just ordered material to make a Bridge hammock with a built in under quilt. With any luck it won't be a disaster but success or not I'll bring it. One thing I'd love to see is desserts you can cook on the trail. Demonstrations of this would be great, for educational purposes of course.

Nice! Can't wait to see the bridge.

I will bring my steam baking set up that I use for fresh eggs and desserts on the trail.

SoCal Mike

1thathikes
01-19-2014, 03:26
Nice! Can't wait to see the bridge.

I will bring my steam baking set up that I use for fresh eggs and desserts on the trail.

SoCal Mike

Sounds great! Looking forward to seeing everyone and hanging out.

WillieCash
01-20-2014, 15:32
I've got a great Banana Pudding PArfait recipe I bring backpacking.

Will hook it up there.

If the ground isn't too hard, I was thinking about experimenting with making a Lakota Stove (wood-burning)

The Dude
01-21-2014, 20:33
I was thinking about experimenting with making a Lakota Stove (wood-burning)

Please Share ? I would be interested in seeing this.....

WillieCash
01-22-2014, 15:05
Please Share ? I would be interested in seeing this.....

Cool, I will plan on "demoing it" (trying it out)

arczeneb
01-22-2014, 22:21
Rumor has it there might be a video from last year is this an urban legend?

WillieCash
01-23-2014, 12:21
Rumor has it there might be a video from last year is this an urban legend?

Chetter (pronounced Cheddar for those in the know) took some video last year but I don't think he edited it.

We should really do a better job of taking pictures and getting a group shot this year instead of waiting until the very end when about a third of us had left. Maybe take a few as we go along?

Really looking forward to this, fellas (and ladies?)!

chetter72
01-24-2014, 22:41
Hey guys..... Yea I'm alive... I've been a slacker and a bad forum friend but I wanna come back! WillieCash I'm in I will be going and will give you money ASAP. Also, there is a video and I will try and upload it soon. like I said I've been a slacker..... Any who I hope you all are great and I can't wait to see and hang with ya all!

SoCal Mike
01-27-2014, 09:46
Hey guys..... Yea I'm alive... I've been a slacker and a bad forum friend but I wanna come back! WillieCash I'm in I will be going and will give you money ASAP. Also, there is a video and I will try and upload it soon. like I said I've been a slacker..... Any who I hope you all are great and I can't wait to see and hang with ya all!

Good to hear you're alive, Chetter! Looking forward to seeing you and the video.

Just to add some more to this trip, I'm planning on bringing a few items to give away. Nothing fancy, perhaps just a few DIY stoves, etc. But I thought I'd throw that out there to fire up the troops (terrible pun intended).

Michael

WillieCash
01-28-2014, 18:27
Good to hear you're alive, Chetter! Looking forward to seeing you and the video.

Just to add some more to this trip, I'm planning on bringing a few items to give away. Nothing fancy, perhaps just a few DIY stoves, etc. But I thought I'd throw that out there to fire up the troops (terrible pun intended).

Michael

When all else fails, give something away!

All kidding aside, I think this is going to be really great. Even better than last year.

WillieCash
01-28-2014, 18:28
Also... a quick reminder... for those that are certain they will be coming, don't forget to send payment into PayPal.

I'm trying to get paid back so I can order some patches.

And thank you to everyone that has made their payments!

ripcurlksm
01-30-2014, 03:28
Lets go guys, get your money in! :)

I will be bringing my 10" dobsonian telescope this year, hopefully the skies are clear.

http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab4/m1a1911/San%20Gorgonio%20Wilderness/IMG_0874_zps29d69d49.jpg~original

http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab4/m1a1911/San%20Gorgonio%20Wilderness/IMG_0906_zpsdc2541a3.jpg~original

arczeneb
01-30-2014, 12:08
I will be bringing my 10" dobsonian telescope this year, hopefully the skies are clear.

Need a clear area with open sky if possible

WillieCash
01-30-2014, 12:14
For the amateur astronomers...

I have reserved a large group site. I can;t imagine there wouldn;t be some large open are. Take a look on Google Maps if you'd like. But it looks like there will be a place for this.

ripcurlksm
01-30-2014, 12:51
Need a clear area with open sky if possible

Are you rolling out again this year arczeneb?!

arczeneb
01-30-2014, 14:55
For the amateur astronomers...

I have reserved a large group site. I can;t imagine there wouldn;t be some large open are. Take a look on Google Maps if you'd like. But it looks like there will be a place for this.

Looked at the video post #7 the common area with overhead view. What I relate is the more southern view from last year. Ok won't be picky this is 50/50.

WillieCash
01-30-2014, 18:57
Anybody heard from MedicMike?

Also, we should start thinking about carpools.... Chetter, can I grab a ride with you?

Updated:

Confirmed:
WillieCash
GI Hanger +1 Kid
1-Hung-Low
Boots13
Mudman
Arczeneb
Dos
Mangus7175
SoCal Mike
BC9696
ripcurlksm
whoismiketruong
Armando
The Dude
Little Dude
1thathikes
Chetter

Maybe:
iRokk
TheQ
sierraflyguide
tex
Miguel

medicmikep
01-31-2014, 01:05
Sorry everybody haven't been on the forums that much. Decided to get on today and saw this thread... You can count me in!! Thanks Willie for setting this up again and I'll get the money to you ASAP.. I get off work that Friday morning so I can get up there in the early afternoon..
Medicmike (Mike)

ripcurlksm
01-31-2014, 16:49
heck if Arczeneb is rolling out, ill leave my dobsonian at home! :)

arczeneb
01-31-2014, 23:11
heck if Arczeneb is rolling out, ill leave my dobsonian at home! :)

Wait it's to early let me check the weather the week prior. If I only get one day so be it I will find a spot.

The Dude
02-01-2014, 12:27
Also, we should start thinking about carpools.... Chetter, can I grab a ride with you?

Keep all Options Open Dude most likely will be able to a couples of days more if a Advance party is Needed.. Car pools are great, standing bye ! as we get closer we'll get'er sorted Out..

WillieCash
02-03-2014, 12:15
Keep all Options Open Dude most likely will be able to a couples of days more if a Advance party is Needed.. Car pools are great, standing bye ! as we get closer we'll get'er sorted Out..

Hey Dude,

An advanced party is not needed. I made a reservation for the weekend back in the Fall.

So we should be good to go.

I actually snuck into the site on Friday (it was closed off because nobody had reservations) and took a look around. Depending on the size of the group, I think we will have enough trees.

If we are short, I think we can make do by pushing a but further into the area around the camp (open forest), or (worst case scenario) we can get an additional site in the main BlueJay campground and shuttle hangers back and forth for sleeping. I don't think the last option will be necessary. Just making sure there is a back-up plan in place.

ripcurlksm
02-03-2014, 15:15
Wait it's to early let me check the weather the week prior. If I only get one day so be it I will find a spot.

Awesome hope you can make it! :)

arczeneb
02-04-2014, 19:59
I'm in arriving Thursday need a good nights sleep for some reason first night was oh I don't remember. Three bundles of wood. No telescope this weekend full moon maybe next on a new moon but let's enjoy this year. Food for the culinary festival. No shout out for milk on Friday will have plenty. Backpack for a walkabout 2 days in the forest.
If I left anything out let me know. See everyone in March be safe.

WillieCash
02-05-2014, 19:52
We're getting to the point where I think I can order patches soon if the payments keep coming in.

They will probably run about $5 each (they will cost me a bit less but I will likely need to make up for loss of camping fees)

I was thinking about getting a yellow border on them to make them look more official and wanted to get hanger's thoughts.

I'm not that familiar with patches... does plastic backing make them difficult to sew them on to fabric? I guess it depends on how they will be used, but I think it may be best to go without backing so the patch is flexible (I'm thinking they will most likely end up on packs, hammock cases, jackets, etc...)

Also, looking for sizing. I was thinking about 4" wide... thoughts?

arczeneb
02-05-2014, 20:51
(they will cost me a bit less but I will likley need to make up for loss of camping fees)

Ok folks sounds like he's short for stepping up to make this a fine weekend with patches so I added a little extra to help out or at the campsite.
Fire wood if needed another bundle or two let me know I'm ok sitting in the shadows under a cool full moon.

WillieCash
02-06-2014, 12:04
Thanks to everyone who has sent in payment. Especially to arczeneb who kicked in a few dollars more. I will be sure you get a patch!

Anybody else who is sure you are going but hasn't paid yet, please do so. I want to make sure I can order the patches in time for the trip.

ripcurlksm
02-06-2014, 17:20
Thanks to everyone who has sent in payment. Especially to arczeneb who kicked in a few dollars more. I will be sure you get a patch!

Anybody else who is sure you are going but hasn't paid yet, please do so. I want to make sure I can order the patches in time for the trip.

How much for a patch?

I'm paid up, how much are you short?

WillieCash
02-06-2014, 17:46
I'm about $65 short on the site but I was going to get the patches paid for once thee is enough in the PayPal account then get the rest later.

If I can get four more people to cover their site fee, I will have enough to cover the patches.

Patches are going to run about $160 for 50 of them (the other option was $140 for 25, so I thought the extra $20 would be worth having another 25).

Edit: Oh... and patches will run about $5 each. I'll be making a little bit of money on them, but my hope is that it can offset some of the site costs. Like I said earlier, anything I come out ahead on will go towards communal stuff like firewood, water, etc...

ripcurlksm
02-06-2014, 21:29
Thanks just fine Willie, Ill def take a patch or w/e to throw in a little extra to help with the cost

The Dude
02-07-2014, 19:24
I am down, for patches, Last year I brought enough "Fire Wood" for the entire weekend ! and I am working on it this years Trip as well.
Also I live in the South Bay area, Redondo, Hermosa BCH. there abouts, and I will be going South, Either 405 or 91 to the 5 fwy. So Carpoolers, Let me know if I can be of Help... ?
PS, Willie, can you or anyone bring a Six or Twelve String Guitar, Harmonica and any other simple, or Camp Style, Musical Instruments ?

chetter72
02-08-2014, 02:36
OK so here is the video from last year final up...... Man I'm a slacker!! I am a bit sad cause I didn't get enough of all you guys's setups in stuff but I will try again this year and the video will be better.
http://youtu.be/3SrjsAQPuew

chetter72
02-08-2014, 03:25
Also everyone, I don't know if there have been talk about the SoCal emblem. The pic WillieCash uses as a avatar. But I just sent a mod the final for approval. He did say the reference of alcohol might well be an issue but I did some editing and changed it to water for the HF version. By all means if you want the XX version it just can't say hammockforums.net on it. I'm waiting for a reply and will post here the results. heres the water version.
http://www.5x6vision.info/People/Hamock-Forums/i-9PmR765/0/M/SoCal%20Emblem%20Water-M.jpg
Here is the XX version without the HF.
http://www.5x6vision.info/People/Hamock-Forums/i-VkTmrpt/0/M/SoCal%20Emblem%20no%20HF%20Final-M.jpg

The Dude
02-08-2014, 09:52
Way To Go Chetter, I hope No one is Jealous, for that I am the Most Handsome one, in the Video, lol
as for the Reference to Alcohol in Patches or Tee shirts or whatever, Is it Really that Big of a Deal ? the Triple XXX's I thought was rather Clever.. !

arczeneb
02-08-2014, 11:14
I like the xx version those who attend know the real version with less writing just the mention of SoCal no liability association.

chetter72
02-08-2014, 12:53
Yea I like the XX version better to... More true to life. BTW if you guys want a higher quality version of these pics here's a gallery I have. You can download the original size of these pics. http://www.5x6vision.info/People/Hamock-Forums

The Dude
02-09-2014, 08:33
You Know, If you dig into the History of the modern Hammock, I believe you cant dismiss, the Old Tried and true GI Hammock, back in the 80's I had an GI Hammock. One of its Features, was in a pinch, could be set up as a Tent, I always enjoyed this feature !
In closing:; has anyone ever had to set up there Hammock on the Ground ? (IE) as a Tent ? Is there any Past Threads on this Subject ???
for me It just makes the Hammock, all the more Versatile....

SoCal Mike
02-09-2014, 11:55
Chetter,

Thanks for posting the video and photo gallery. And the patches are great.

I mentioned before that I'm going to bring a few items to giveaway. I'm also planning on bringing some items for sale/trade at the hang before I post them at HF. I don't want this thread to get overwhelmed with sale ideas, etc.

If you are interested in hearing what items I'll have for sale or trade and have some things you'd like to sell/trade, please PM me so we can swap a list of goods.

Looking forward to seeing everyone.

Michael

medicmikep
02-11-2014, 00:12
Alright Willie I am paid up. Sent you the money tonight. Can't wait and I'll bring some money for patches too.

Mike
(Medic Mike)

WillieCash
02-11-2014, 13:06
Thanks, everyone!

PS; Dude, I will bring a guitar and harmonicas. Though I will warn you I'm an awful guitar player and barely know my own songs let alone any covers.

Chetter may be able to help in that regard.

WillieCash
02-11-2014, 13:10
Alright Willie I am paid up. Sent you the money tonight. Can't wait and I'll bring some money for patches too.

Mike
(Medic Mike)

Hey Mike, you sent $15 bucks extra. Should I just put it towards three patches?

medicmikep
02-11-2014, 13:18
I guess I read it wrong, I thought it was 15$ per day but if it's for the weekend then yes put the extra 15$ towards patches. Thanks again Willie

Dos
02-11-2014, 14:26
cool vid!
I can hardly wait :)

Dos

ps I like the XX :)
pps since I suck at cooking, I will bring a few things for a raffle - however those things work!!

WillieCash
02-11-2014, 14:39
Yeah, I'm not making any of the H20 design patches.

If someone wants one, they can set it up themselves.

WillieCash
02-11-2014, 14:56
Just thinking... and I don't want to organize this but if someone wants to step up...

Since it looks like we will have some stuff to raffle. Maybe we could do something where we have short competitions at the games (cornhole, horseshoes, etc...) to "win" raffle tickets.

We could also do things like "who can make a whoopie sling the fastest" etc...

Raffle tickets are available at Wal-Mart for around five bucks if someone wants to pick them up and take charge of this.

The Dude
02-11-2014, 20:45
Thanks, everyone!

PS; Dude, I will bring a guitar and harmonicas. Though I will warn you I'm an awful guitar player and barely know my own songs let alone any covers.

Chetter may be able to help in that regard.

WillieCash, Little Dude is really evolving with his Guitar, I would bring it buts it's Electric, and I paid Lots of $$$ money for it.... a six string acoustic, perfect for the camp fire entertainment"!

iRokk
02-12-2014, 11:01
Hey guys, sorry I went MIA for so long. Been a hectic few weeks. I'm putting in my time off request today, so I should know no later than Friday if I can make it! Assuming I get the days I will put myself down for 2 people!

WillieCash
02-12-2014, 15:21
I'm getting ready to order these patches!

We can either have them at 2"x3" or approximately 3"x4".

The company says flag patches are usually 2x3

Anybody have size suggestions before I order?

I'm assuming no backing on it so they are flexible, but there is also a plastic back and iron-on option.

Maybe iron-on would be the best so they can be applied by eitehr ironing or sewing.

Post responses for consideration here ASAP so we can figure out by Friday for ordering.

iRokk
02-12-2014, 20:21
Put in the time off request and already approved, so put me down for 2!

medicmikep
02-12-2014, 20:53
Willie I'm thinking 3"x4" but I'll go with the majority..

WillieCash
02-13-2014, 16:31
Updated:

Confirmed:
WillieCash
GI Hanger +1 Kid
1-Hung-Low
Boots13
Mudman
Arczeneb
Dos
Mangus7175
SoCal Mike
BC9696
ripcurlksm
whoismiketruong
Armando
The Dude
Little Dude
1thathikes
Chetter
iRokk +1
MedicMikeP

Maybe:
TheQ
sierraflyguide
tex
Miguel

TheQ
02-13-2014, 17:03
Just got booked that weekend. Unless we see a weather push, I've gone from "maybe" to "unlikely"

iRokk
02-13-2014, 17:51
I'll get that 30 bucks to you tonight/early morning, and I'm stoked I can make it!

WillieCash
02-13-2014, 18:21
Just got booked that weekend. Unless we see a weather push, I've gone from "maybe" to "unlikely"

What a bummer! Maybe next year!

WillieCash
02-13-2014, 18:22
I'll get that 30 bucks to you tonight/early morning, and I'm stoked I can make it!

Good news for sure!

WillieCash
02-13-2014, 18:24
As for the patches, 3x4" gives us better detail, but it's pretty big for a patch.

I like the size because I plan on sewing it to my backpack in place of the Kelty logo. This is big enough for people to see from a bit of distance.

Is there anybody advocating the smaller size?

Post by tomorrow at 9AM PST or I'm going ahead with the 3x4"

iRokk
02-13-2014, 23:46
What's everyone bringing for the potluck?! Depending on what kinda stuff people are bringing, I can make something or get drinks or bring whatever :)

1thathikes
02-14-2014, 00:26
I like the 2x3 option. No backing would make it easier to put on something that is flexible.

iRokk
02-14-2014, 03:59
Whoooo! All paid up!

SoCal Mike
02-14-2014, 09:57
I like the 2x3 option. No backing would make it easier to put on something that is flexible.

Agreed. For what it's worth.

iRokk
02-14-2014, 10:50
2x3 seems a little small when I look at a rectangle drawn that size, and 3x4 sounds like a better ratio for the actual shape. My .02

WillieCash
02-14-2014, 12:31
In further talks with the patch company...

the rep there said that in order to capture as much of the detail of the image as possible, it needs to be at least 3.5" wide. He said the extra 1/2" wouldn't make much difference as far as detail was concerned so I'n heading down the road with him looking at 3.5" wide as the option.

He said, at either size there would be some loss of detail and that he would make some adjustments to the graphic to make it clear. I'm proceeding with the idea that it is better to have the image clear than capture all of the detail and end up with something muddy looking.

I also had him add a yellow trim border to mimic the standard California flag patch. This also makes it stand out against whatever color it's sewn on to.

When he sends me the proof for approval I will post it here. It will likely be in the next few business days.

WillieCash
02-19-2014, 13:38
Patch order placed, should have proofs in a couple of days

iRokk
02-19-2014, 19:08
Wooo, I know I'll be picking up at least 1

SoCal Mike
02-20-2014, 09:29
So, I am a little anxious to hear about what kind of gear we should expect to see out there. What kind of rig are you guys using these days? What hammock or other camping equipment will you be showing off?

Michael

iRokk
02-20-2014, 16:56
Nothing special. My gf and I will be in either our DN or the hammock I made to be our full-time when we live together, although I never did finish the insulation for it. I'll have my DIY 1.1 SL, and then my red taffeta in case anyone needs a spare. Superfly for shade/privacy for the missus, and insulation? Well, since it's car camping we're just doing tons of blankets. The big satin monster will just take a bit of adjusting since I didn't put a RL on it.

WillieCash
02-21-2014, 12:09
Just thinking... and I don't want to organize this but if someone wants to step up...

Since it looks like we will have some stuff to raffle. Maybe we could do something where we have short competitions at the games (cornhole, horseshoes, etc...) to "win" raffle tickets.

We could also do things like "who can make a whoopie sling the fastest" etc...

Raffle tickets are available at Wal-Mart for around five bucks if someone wants to pick them up and take charge of this.

Anybody want to take the lead on this?

Boots13
02-24-2014, 02:02
Holy smokes I've been out of the loop for awhile! Sorry im so late getting you paid just sent the money your way. Anyone else goin up friday? Anyone else up here near the antelope valley?

arczeneb
02-24-2014, 13:07
Anyone else going up Friday? Anyone else up here near the antelope valley?

Near would the Vegas valley count more specific Henderson. Most should be there on Friday we'll be around Thursday.

iRokk
02-24-2014, 15:56
My gf should be flying in either that Thursday night or Friday morning, but we will be there Friday.

WillieCash
02-25-2014, 15:50
Yeah, I think most of us are planning on Friday this year.

SoCal Mike
02-26-2014, 10:06
I will only be there Saturday and leave Sunday morning. But at least I'll get a chance to stick around a lot longer than last time. Save me some trees!

Michael (SoCal Mike)

P.S. Are we still having a potluck on Saturday night?

WillieCash
02-26-2014, 12:11
Yes, still doing a potluck. It went really well last year!

whoismiketruong
02-26-2014, 20:56
What's everyone bringing for the potluck? Anyone keeping a list?

SoCal Mike
02-26-2014, 21:10

I don't think we kept a list last time. Some guys posted what they were bringing so there wouldn't be repeats--we certainly don't need five or six guys bringing the same thing. But everybody just brought whatever they wanted and it all came together perfectly.

I will bring a dessert again. Don't know if it will be as good as my "death by chocolate" from last year, though.

Michael

P.S. I certainly hope Williecash's chili makes any appearance. That stuff was fantastic!

arczeneb
02-26-2014, 22:14

No list but if one brings just enough to run out that's ok no left overs. Memory of what was missed. I know my plate had everything thing salmon, bacon poppers real deal with a smoker, prosciutto, marinated steak, chili, chocolate death add some port the list goes. Did I miss something say salad, potatoes or rice.
Think of the oh wow folks like to eat and some will repeat this year.
Surprise us with your culinary skills.
Afterwards wind down with a cigar fine adult beverage over warm fire with conversation that I do remember vaguely :D

arczeneb
02-26-2014, 22:38
I will bring a dessert again. Don't know if it will be as good as my "death by chocolate" from last year, though.

Michael

P.S. I certainly hope Williecash's chili makes any appearance. That stuff was fantastic!

That's ok only those will remember from the 1st as long as one remembers later or better yet surprise us. I do remember no milk for desert I might be wrong on this one.

Chef Willie and Michael step up to the plate I have my fork and bowl ready all is good for us hungry campers.

WillieCash
02-27-2014, 16:13
I guess I will have to dig up that recipe again.

I'll probably add some more heat this time around.

WillieCash
02-27-2014, 16:16
Here's the sample...

I'm having them elongate the bottom of the "L" in SOCAL, but besides that, here's what we got.

It was a little bit more than I thought after the dust settled so I might have to charge $6 instead of $5. Hopefully nobody has too much of an objection.

SoCal Mike
02-27-2014, 18:04
I dig it. Well done.

Michael

whoismiketruong
02-28-2014, 12:46
Excellent job on the patch!! Can't wait to get mine!! Definitely need 2 of those...maybe 3!!!

As for the potluck...I'll bring a dish that can be either a nice hearty side of substantial main course. Everything a growing hanger needs for the great outdoors. I'll also bring a dessert for around the camp fire!!

iRokk
02-28-2014, 21:38
I was thinking about making fudge for the potluck...

arczeneb
02-28-2014, 23:03
I was thinking about making fudge for the potluck...

Need milk so is it I was thinking or making fudge?

arczeneb
02-28-2014, 23:06
[QUOTE. I'll also bring a dessert for around the camp fire!![/QUOTE]

Hum an unknown what to pair a red, white or port maybe coffee?

SoCal Mike
03-01-2014, 09:40
[QUOTE. I'll also bring a dessert for around the camp fire!!

Hum an unknown what to pair a red, white or port maybe coffee?[/QUOTE]

Port.

iRokk
03-02-2014, 20:34
Hmm, I guess you're right, I do use canned milk in the fudge, so no go on that one.

mangus7175
03-03-2014, 13:00
Sad to say that I am going to miss this years Hang :(

I'll just have to live through the photos you all post after :)

WillieCash
03-03-2014, 16:07

BUMMER!

Did you pay already? Do you want a refund?

How about patches, want me to send you some?

PM me

mangus7175
03-03-2014, 16:16
BUMMER!

Did you pay already? Do you want a refund?

How about patches, want me to send you some?

PM me

No, haven't paid...reason being, I wasn't sure if I was going. Really bummed about not being able to join you guys :(

SoCal Mike
03-04-2014, 09:34

Sorry to hear that, bro. We will catch up with you later. Let me know when you want to head out somewhere later this Spring.

mangus7175
03-04-2014, 12:01
Sorry to hear that, bro. We will catch up with you later. Let me know when you want to head out somewhere later this Spring.

Sounds good. I've been backpacking quite a lot this year so far...only took two weekends off.

Was recently at Death Valley over at Panamint City...no place to hang but still an awesome spot to explore :)

WillieCash
03-04-2014, 12:31
Updated:

Confirmed:
WillieCash
GI Hanger +1 Kid
1-Hung-Low
Boots13
Mudman
Arczeneb
Dos
SoCal Mike
BC9696
ripcurlksm
whoismiketruong
Armando
The Dude
Little Dude
1thathikes
Chetter
iRokk +1
MedicMikeP

Maybe:
TheQ
sierraflyguide
tex
Miguel

arczeneb
03-04-2014, 12:31
Really bummed about not being able to join you guys :(

Not over yet still have several days left. Ok will miss the alcohol stoves how to and why oh yea the marinated steak. Your friendship along the with kids having a wonderful time. Hopefully next year but first this year. I will tip one back on your behalf--milk.
Take care. If in the area June Utah hang Flaming Gorge.

WillieCash
03-06-2014, 10:22
Oh man... I can't wait.

WillieCash
03-06-2014, 18:39
10 Day Forecast calls for clear skies.

And Daylight Savings Time is back on just in time!

Boots13
03-06-2014, 20:33
Anyone goin up Thursday night?

arczeneb
03-06-2014, 22:34
Anyone goin up Thursday night?

That's my plan arriving before sundown hope that's ok if not somewhere close by.

WillieCash
03-07-2014, 12:17
You guys are hardcore

Henny Jenny
03-07-2014, 18:14
Hello! I am new to all things hammock. My kids and I have done a couple backyard hangs since getting our gear during the holiday season. I am interested in coming out to this group hang, but I will have 4 kids with me (ages 6, 6, 8, and 8). Will there be any issues with me taking them? I am working on building hammock stands, and will hopefully have them backyard tested before we go, so we won't take up all of the trees. Lol

The Dude
03-08-2014, 11:06
Just Checking in, going through my Equipment...
welcome, I'll be Bring Little Dude ? my son,he is a Master of Metal, music lol

WillieCash
03-08-2014, 11:26
Hey Henny,

The point of these things is to get people interested in hammocking and learning new techniques, seeing gear, etc... So I would say building your own stands would certainly qualify!

As for the kids, the intro post says well-behaved kids are welcome, but I think it's fair to say they will likely be around a considerable amount of salty language based on last year. We had a few kids come out and it was fine, but they were much older. As long as you know what to expect and have things for them to keep them occupied I don't anticipate an issue.

If the above is any concern to you, I know there have been group hangs up in Big Bear in the past that are probably a bit more G than PG-13. I think JohnSawyer throws one if I am not mistaken.

Glad to see families hanging!

Henny Jenny
03-08-2014, 12:01
Ok, well maybe we should pass on this one, then. Hope to meet up with you all at the next one!

WillieCash
03-08-2014, 12:49
I didn't mean to scare you off, I just wanted to make sure you knew what you were in for.

Born and raised in Apple Valley? I'm class of 94

Henny Jenny
03-08-2014, 21:13
Oh you didn't scare me off! Lol I just know that when there is a group with mostly adults, no one wants a bunch of little kids running around. No worries. I will try to make it to one of the events that has more kids attending.

I moved up to the high desert in 2004. I was born and raised in Whittier, CA.

1-Hung-Low
03-09-2014, 13:47
I drove up to check out the campground today 3/9/14.
FYI, No. Main Divide Rd. has a barricade blocking half of the road about 4 miles in with a closed sign. You can drive around the barricade and make it to the campground. There is rock debris on the roadway and I’m guessing that’s why they closed it.

Just as WillieCash mentioned in his 2/3/14 #113 post, YARROW was blocked off but the Ranger was there and I didn’t chance going around that barricade, so I wasn’t able to actually check out the campsite.

There are 3 separate campgrounds within the Falcon group camp area YARROW is the last one as you enter the Falcon main area.

WillieCash
03-09-2014, 14:54
How are doing on vehicles? Chetter and I will be carpooling in one.

Anybody else carpooling?

We have ten parking spaces. I want to make sure we are carpooling where possible.
If you have space and would't mind picking someone up, please post where you are coming from.

WillieCash
03-10-2014, 16:04
Updated:

Just started laying out my stuff today! I’m Stoked!

Anybody else available to carpool? Maybe if we post where we are coming from it would make things easier.

Worst case scenario; we can get a space or two at Blue Jay and just use them for parking.

I’ve been looking at the list below and it looks like quite a turnout. Even better than last year! The campground is really big but I hope we don’t run out of trees. It is the last one on the row so we can go deeper into the woods and off-trail if need be. If there ends up being a big shortage we may need to get a space or two next door at Blue Jay just for sleeping. I hope it won’t end up happening, but I wanted to lay it out there just in case. Always good to have a contingency plan.

If you have any questions, post them here because it is likely someone else might have the same one.

Confirmed:

1- Car:
WillieCash
Chetter

1- Car:
The Dude
Little Dude

1- Car:
Dos
Arczeneb

1- Car:
iRokk +1

1-Hung-Low
Boots13
Mudman
SoCal Mike
BC9696
ripcurlksm
whoismiketruong
Armando
1thathikes
MedicMikeP

Maybe:
TheQ
sierraflyguide
tex
Miguel

whoismiketruong
03-10-2014, 16:27
I'll be leaving directly from work in Irvine. I have room for 3 other people if they're on the way or willing to meet at the train station.

arczeneb
03-10-2014, 16:47
This is the best I can make out without being there. Worst case Blue Jay as I will be arriving early Thursday moving in the am to Yarrow. On day left of work packing at my leisure and food prior to leaving. Weather looks great mid 80's to mid 40's perfect with plenty of sunshine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVxhe16L94M&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DXVxhe16L94M&app=desktop

medicmikep
03-10-2014, 20:00
I'm doing a 10 day stretch at work but I'll be getting off on Friday morning but have to go home and pack all my stuff. Hoping to get up there by 1pm if not earlier, I'll be coming from riverside. What time is everybody gonna get there?

body942
03-10-2014, 22:10
Haven't been as active as I once was, but have been keeping tabs on this thread. Unfortunately I'm running a Scout weekend and can't make it this year. I'd love to get to meet everybody, but I'm the classic "halfway" between NorCal and SoCal; I'll keep an eye open for pics and next years' organization.

SoCal Mike
03-11-2014, 08:37
I am coming up Saturday morning from the North San Diego area and probably leaving early Sunday (hopefully not too early--still have to work that out). So, if that works for anyone who needs a lift let me know.

Michael (SoCal Mike)

WillieCash
03-11-2014, 17:45
I just confirmed the site is supposed to be unlocked at 2PM on Friday. I was hoping I could get them in a little earlier but I think that is what we are stuck with.

As far as parking is concerned, I just spoke with Gina at the Cleveland National Forest and she said that we can bring in over 10 vehicles as long as we are not blocking the street or anybody else's access to their site. We'll see how that goes, but I would still recommend carpooling where possible.

mangus7175
03-11-2014, 19:25
Really going to miss hangin' with you guys...was just out this past weekend testing the new UQ I made. Hopefully we can have another group hang in the coming months.

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h223/mangus7175/IMG_2574v1_zps768271f4.jpg

whoismiketruong
03-11-2014, 19:45
I'll be heading out from Irvine around noon!! Let me know if anyone wants to carpool.

arczeneb
03-11-2014, 20:01
Really going to miss hangin' with you guys...was just out this past weekend testing the new UQ I made. Hopefully we can have another group hang in the coming months.
]

2014 Utah Hang Flaming Gorge come join us

The Dude
03-11-2014, 20:29
I am in Mission Critical Phase..
Are we doing a Pot Luck Dinner ??

WillieCash
03-11-2014, 20:55
Dude,

Did you get into the adult beverages early?

Of course we are doing a potluck Saturday.

I'll create a thread tomorrow with all of the reminder info.

Looking forward to your Barry Manilow tribute!

Boots13
03-12-2014, 13:46
Going to be heading down from the antelope valley area friday morning if anyone is along that route. Gonna head back up on sunday. Also last year there was no problem bringing my dog is there any rules at this campground about pets?

The Dude
03-12-2014, 14:00
Dude,

Did you get into the adult beverages early?

Of course we are doing a potluck Saturday.

I'll create a thread tomorrow with all of the reminder info.

Looking forward to your Barry Manilow tribute!
Should I bring my Richard Simmons work out, 3 DVD collection :lol:

WillieCash
03-12-2014, 14:19
Going to be heading down from the antelope valley area friday morning if anyone is along that route. Gonna head back up on sunday. Also last year there was no problem bringing my dog is there any rules at this campground about pets?

Dogs are fine, but have to be on leashes.

WillieCash
03-12-2014, 14:23

The group site is quite large and will give us plenty of space to spread out, park, and hopefully avoid any OC Brosephs blasting music into the night. I just confirmed the site is supposed to be unlocked at 2PM on Friday. I was hoping I could get them in a little earlier but I think that is what we are stuck with.

As far as parking is concerned, I just spoke with Gina at the Cleveland National Forest and she said that we can bring in over 10 vehicles as long as we are not blocking the street or anybody else's access to their site. We'll see how that goes, but I would still recommend carpooling where possible.

Well-behaved kids are welcome.Especially since we will be occupying such a large space. It was great to see the kids that came along last year learning about hammocking and backpacking. Car camping tends to lead to (at least) a fair share of oat sodas being consumed and spreading out will help make sure the kids aren't adversely affected by any questionable behavior.

Items to bring:

1) Hammock Rig

Directions:

From the 15 (East Side):

Right on Collier (light)
Pass the lake
Yarrow Is at the end

From the 5 (West Side):

Yarrow Is at the end

arczeneb
03-12-2014, 14:29
Those arriving early morning Friday long wait time 2pm so come visit me at Blue Jay for breakfast or lunch. The plan is to be there on Thursday around noon or earlier. Same location as last year.
Then move with the masses for a start time of 1400 Friday to claim ones spot at Yarrow camp.

Almost done packing urge to move on to Cleveland.

To everyone have a safe trip there will or should be a cold one waiting--milk.

Weather This Weekend (Drop a few degrees campground you get the idea)
Thursday
Mar 13
Mostly sunny
77° Lo 50°
Friday
Mar 14
Mostly sunny
75° Lo 41°
RealFeel® 82° / Lo 33°
Saturday
Mar 15
Sunny, windy and very warm
87° Lo 43°
RealFeel® 84° / Lo 33°
Sunday
Mar 16
Sunny, breezy and very warm
90° Lo 43°
RealFeel® 89° / Lo 38°
Lake Elsinore Weather Report

WillieCash
03-12-2014, 18:52
Weather should be great. Much better than when I went camping two weeks ago during Titan.

I have received payment from the following:

Charles M
Kevin M
Gary P
Michael A H
BRUCE C
BROCK P
Karri K
Dylan D
Karri K
Chet A
Pedro T (payment plus payment for a patch)
Ryan V (assuming payment for two)
Benjamin R (payment plus payment for a patch)
Michael P (payment plus payment for 3 patches)

After much hassle with Fed-Ex. The patches are sitting at the Irivne Fed-Ex waiting for me to get them. The cost was a bit higher than I anticipated and they will run $6 each. Please bring cash with $1s so I don't have to make too much change.

Looking forward to it!

iRokk
03-12-2014, 21:56
Well, as it turns out, I found myself single this week so I will have no plus 1. If I could apply that extra payment to 2 patches then the extra few bucks just to help kick in for the campground and what-not that would be excellent. I tried to find a new plus-1, but unfortunately she has a prior commitment on Friday and won't be able to drive down with me.

Edit: I will keep you posted because if I do find someone new to be my +1, I will just bring cash for a couple patches.

Dos
03-12-2014, 22:39
Well, as it turns out, I found myself single this week so I will have no plus 1.

so sorry.
we will still have fun :cool::cool:

iRokk
03-12-2014, 22:50
I plan to! I'm doing fine, and I've never been one to be a downer. Looking forward to singing around the campfire and having a blast! And like I said, if I can find a new +1, all's well that ends well!

iRokk
03-12-2014, 22:51
BUT, now that it is crunch time, is there anyone who would be opposed to me making that fudge? (since it does use canned milk in the cooking process) Otherwise I need to think of something to make!

WillieCash
03-12-2014, 23:35
Just picked up the patches! They are Sweet!

arczeneb
03-12-2014, 23:41
BUT, now that it is crunch time, is there anyone who would be opposed to me making that fudge? (since it does use canned milk in the cooking process) Otherwise I need to think of something to make!

Bring the fudge.

iRokk
03-12-2014, 23:48
Done. Now I can sleep easy and slave over the stove tomorrow!

WillieCash
03-12-2014, 23:58

What kind of a Pinko Commie refuses fudge? I'll tell you who... A lowdown stinking ground dweller!

Sorry about your former plus one. If you don't get a replacement I will surely pay you back in patches.

WillieCash
03-12-2014, 23:59
Confirmed:

1- Car:
WillieCash
Chetter

1- Car:
The Dude
Little Dude

1- Car:
Dos
Arczeneb

iRokk
1-Hung-Low
Boots13
SoCal Mike
BC9696
ripcurlksm
whoismiketruong
Armando
1thathikes
MedicMikeP

Maybe:
TheQ
sierraflyguide
tex
Miguel

Mudman can't make it :(

WillieCash
03-13-2014, 00:04
I plan to! I'm doing fine, and I've never been one to be a downer. Looking forward to singing around the campfire and having a blast! And like I said, if I can find a new +1, all's well that ends well!

Do you play guitar? I'm bringing mine, but I'm more of a tinkerer/songwriter than a player.

Chet is a pretty solid player and I know Little Dude plays too.

iRokk
03-13-2014, 00:19
I play bass, so no chords, but I do have the vocal chords of an angel! A...fallen angel :lol:

WillieCash
03-13-2014, 00:32
The Dude will be anxious to do a version of "A little bit country and a little bit rock and roll" with you.

You'll have to flip a coin to see who gets to do Marie's part.

WillieCash
03-13-2014, 00:51
Anybody have one of those fold-out poker octagon shaped table covers or just a card table?

I'd love to play some poker. I have chips.

medicmikep
03-13-2014, 01:00
I actually might have one of those poker tables, gonna have to look for it when I get off work..

iRokk
03-13-2014, 01:08
On one of my rafting trips one of my buddies and I performed Paradise by the Dashboard Light in its entirety for our group at the campfire

Mudman
03-13-2014, 02:47
Sorry I can't make it guys, too many things going on for me right now.

Hoping to meet everyone next time. Hopefully by then, I'll have some cool knives and forged Items made by myself to show you.

WillieCash
03-13-2014, 09:28
Should I bring my Richard Simmons work out, 3 DVD collection :lol:

Did you get the Mother Lode of firewood again?

The Dude
03-13-2014, 13:06
Did you get the Mother Lode of firewood again?
No I did not ? I have some, I don't know if you remember, My Mugel he just sent me a text that he is picking up some wood ? let me get back on this ?
PS. Mugel is just now signing up for H/F... Stay Tuned....

The Dude
03-13-2014, 13:22
The Dude will be anxious to do a version of "A little bit country and a little bit rock and roll" with you.

You'll have to flip a coin to see who gets to do's part.
Marie is "HOT" Looking for here age...lol

WillieCash
03-13-2014, 14:38
I was wonderng if Miguel was coming through again. Sweet!

WillieCash
03-13-2014, 14:39
I just wanted to throw out there that everyone should bring some firewood!

As an aside... I've been using the "Upside Down" fire-building technique and found it to be awesome. Less smoke, coals faster, longer burn time. All around better.

It's probably old hat to you guys... but if not it's fascinating to see for the first time.

73Mach1
03-13-2014, 15:11
Hello All I am Miguel, i would like to start by thanking my good friend The Dude for the invite last year . It was awesome, my son Kenny and i got the opportunity to meet all of you great guys that attended last year. We had a blast. We are in for this weekend The Dude and I are carpooling tomorrow evening.

WillieCash
03-13-2014, 15:53
Hello All I am Miguel, i would like to start by thanking my good friend The Dude for the invite last year . It was awesome, my son Kenny and i got the opportunity to meet all of you great guys that attended last year. We had a blast. We are in for this weekend The Dude and I are carpooling tomorrow evening.

Will be good to see you and Kenny, Miguel!

BC9696
03-13-2014, 17:30
Ortega Closure This Weekend

For any South Cal Inland Empire to Orange County drivers (or vice versa), Ortega is going to be closed Friday night at midnight through Sunday night at midnight for rock clearing control resulting from the previous rain storm. I.E. will be closed at 74 and Grand (Also closed at 74 and 15 for some other reason) and closed in O.C. at 74 and Antonio. http://lakeelsinore-wildomar.patch.com/groups/around-town/p/ortega-highway-to-shut-down-this-weekend_f421e130

arczeneb
03-13-2014, 17:40
This event just got canned! Read it and weep gang.

Ortega Closure This Weekend

For any South Cal Inland Empire to Orange County drivers (or vice versa), Ortega is going to be closed Friday night at midnight through Sunday night at midnight for rock clearing control resulting from the previous rain storm. I.E. will be closed at 74 and Grand (Also closed at 74 and 15 for some other reason) and closed in O.C. at 74 and Antonio. http://lakeelsinore-wildomar.patch.c...ekend_f421e130

If everybody arrives prior to midnight Friday ok but unable to leave until Sunday midnight or Monday morning. This works for me what about others should Addam cancel. Need to know ASAP to go hang elsewhere or I'll be one of few left at Falcone. If a go everybody make preparation for an additional night at least till midnight. If so the ranger should be ok this is out of our control.

WillieCash
03-13-2014, 17:56
This is what I am reading from Caltrans:

http://sv08data.dot.ca.gov/memos/files/comalert/031314.pdf

From how I read it, as long as you get there before Midnight on Friday. You will be able to get into the campground. Based on the type of work being done, get there from either OC or the I15 side long before Midnight and you should be golden.

Traffic is open to locals only (with identification) on Saturday and Sunday from the Lake Elsinore side. Which means that the road is good enough to get up and down on that side. If they are letting people come up that way, they're definitely going to be letting people come back out so leaving Sunday Morning won;t be an issue.

From what it looks like, this should only exclude people that were going to arrive after midnight on Friday. So; unfortunately, that would mean that anybody planning on coming up on Saturday would be out of luck. I know SoCal Mike was planning on coming Saturday. But I don't know if it affects anybody else. Maybe this is a good excuse for SoCal Mike to make it out on Friday?

things can always change, but based on what I am seeing at the Caltrans site. And the conversation I just had with The Cleveland Forest ranger over the phone. We will be good as long as we get there before midnight.

I'll be getting there at about noon tomorrow. If things look like what I have outlined above aren't happening as described. I will post a backup plan.

WillieCash
03-13-2014, 18:05
I was finally able to get through to a live person at Caltrans and confirmed most of my above assumptions.

Here is the bullet-point version:

The Ortega Highway will remain open from both the Orange County and Lake Elsinore sides until midnight on Friday.

No traffic will be allowed into this portion of the highway after midnight on Friday

Traffic from the campground area will be allowed out of the area on the Lake Elsinore side all weekend long. But if you leave, you will not be able to come back in.

As per The Cleveland National Forest Ranger station, the Campground will remain open.

Leaving on Saturday or Sunday will need to through the I15/Lake Elsinore side. This means if you are going back to LA/OC you will need to go up the 15 and catch the 91 West to get back.

At this point. It's still on with the exception of anybody who absolutely needs to come up on Saturday. Everybody else, plan on being at the site long before midnight. The Earlier the better.

If things change, I will update here. Check this before you leave.

REMEMBER: Once you are up there, if you leave you will not be able to return. Make sure you have everything you need because we won't be able to get more supplies. Bring lots of wood and beer!

The Dude
03-13-2014, 18:06
I am Sensing opportunity Here"! we Need to Seize the Initiative...Think about it, We'll Have the campground all or mostly to Ourselves..."!

arczeneb
03-13-2014, 18:06
I can't imagine they wouldn't let people out that are up there already.

Are you there already, Pedro?

No waited almost left as I post change in my plan was arriving 7am Friday. Off till Wednesday I can be the only one at the campground. Packed with all the goodies.

BC9696
03-13-2014, 18:12
FYI from a local here...Caltrans often says one thing and does another. The mess at Ortega has been underway for quite a while and is years from completion. Whatever you "hope" for...pad your expectations. Delays and more delays is the norm here. As for me, I'm bailing out. I know this routine...not driving to Elsinore when I am in SJC.

WillieCash
03-13-2014, 18:17
FYI from a local here...Caltrans often says one thing and does another. The mess at Ortega has been underway for quite a while and is years from completion. Whatever you "hope" for...pad your expectations. Delays and more delays is the norm here. As for me, I'm bailing out. I know this routine...

I lived out in Lake Elsinore for about four years until last May and traveled the 74 daily.

This isn't part of the long term expansion they have been working on. This is specifically to do rock grading on the area between El Cariso and San Juan Capistrano. This means the work will be done to the West of the campground. Which means the area between the campground, back down the mountain will be open for exiting the area and for locals to come and go as they please.

Caltrans said they have no work planned at all for anything but that section West of El Cariso Village.

I will post once we get into the site tomorrow to confirm.

As long as we get out there by Midnight Friday, we will be fine.

WillieCash
03-13-2014, 18:21
I do have a backup plan in the works just in case....
I'm not posting it until I confirm what's going on tomorrow but it is a place near Temecula.

The Dude
03-13-2014, 18:29
LoL 73Mach1 What"! when do you get released form Jail "??? Did you clear this Hang with your Probation Officer "? LoL No worries H/F people I can personally recommend, Mugel, he has been certified to operate automatic Equipment... LoL

WillieCash
03-13-2014, 18:31
Here is the list as I have it now. Please let me know where to make adjustments.

WillieCash
Chetter
The Dude
Little Dude
Dos
Arczeneb
iRokk
1-Hung-Low
Boots13
ripcurlksm
whoismiketruong
Armando
1thathikes
MedicMikeP
73Mach1
Kenney

SoCal Mike was planning on coming Saturday... hopefully he can come Friday instead.

medicmikep
03-13-2014, 18:33
I'm still in... Trying to be up there by 1 or 2pm tomorrow