PDA

View Full Version : Hangen' on a budget

Hillbilly Deluxe
11-01-2013, 03:25
I am in desperate need of an underquilt but frankly I don't have the money to buy new. (Wife in college + 2 kids) I live in MN and I am trying to get a UQ that can handle our winters. I really can't spend more than 100$ on the thing (my wife would kill me):unsure: so if anybody has something laying around that would be awesome!!

yooz85
11-01-2013, 05:45
Check out Arrow head equipment. Jarbrige is 100. Its a good quilt that will get you down to 30. If it gets colder you can supplement with a pad.

Fish<><
11-03-2013, 00:46
Pm shug to see what he reccomends. I would only guess that you would be stuck to pads at that price and temp rating. Heck shug still uses pads in the middle of the winter to supplement his pricey down uq's. You may be better off saving for a really nice piece of downy goodness.

rcam1977
11-03-2013, 01:16
I have a Jarbridge and I camped last weekend at the Hoosier Halloween Hang , I think it got down to 27 or 28 , I do have a WBBB DL and used a double wide full length reflectix pad along with my Jarbridge and a military green sleeping Bag and was fine, don't think I would take it much colder than that though, I also use a military poncho liner as a extra bottom layer over my Jarbridge

SilvrSurfr
11-03-2013, 01:35
I've been down to 22 degrees with a pad. I imagine you could go lower on the cheap. I've used a wool army blanket as an underquilt - just clipped it onto the hammock ridgeline.

Gravity
11-03-2013, 04:44
If you have even modest sewing skills, get a Foyle UQ shell from Underquilts.com for $50, and 8 ounces of down from Wilderness Logics for $56. Stuff the down in the chambers, sew the open side of the quilt, and done!

http://underquilts.com/shop/the-foyle/
http://wildernesslogics.com/850-White-Goose-Down-850-Down.htm

DuctTape
11-03-2013, 05:46
I don't even bother with UQs when the temp gets to zero F or below. All pads at that point.

bnkrtstk
11-04-2013, 08:35
I don't even bother with UQs when the temp gets to zero F or below. All pads at that point.

What pads would you recommend? We're planning a winter camping trip with my daughter's Venturing Crew and I plan to hang instead of sleeping on the ground.

SmokyMtnHiker
11-04-2013, 22:48
What pads would you recommend? We're planning a winter camping trip with my daughter's Venturing Crew and I plan to hang instead of sleeping on the ground.

I hear the Wal-Mart cheapy blue CCF for $6 (approx) are used by many on this forum. Although, they are modified into SPE. Basically widened with small wings to keep your shoulders warm.

Hillbilly Deluxe
11-06-2013, 02:39
Thanks for this advice, I have been batting the DIY option around but didn't realize I could get an almost finished one :)

Hillbilly Deluxe
11-06-2013, 02:42
I think the The Foyle is the best option for what I want to do. Thanks to all that helped. I will leave this thread up and let others in my situation see these great ideas!!

Gravity
11-06-2013, 06:46
Good luck with the project! Maybe after it's done, you can update this thread with a short account of your experience, and a picture or two.

bnkrtstk
11-06-2013, 11:02
I hear the Wal-Mart cheapy blue CCF for $6 (approx) are used by many on this forum. Although, they are modified into SPE. Basically widened with small wings to keep your shoulders warm.

Thanks. I have a few of these laying around.

Shug
11-06-2013, 12:21
Pm shug to see what he reccomends. I would only guess that you would be stuck to pads at that price and temp rating. Heck shug still uses pads in the middle of the winter to supplement his pricey down uq's. You may be better off saving for a really nice piece of downy goodness.
Actually I have not used any pads to supplement my UQs in the past few winters. Even mores since I started using the pod system.
Shug

hung4me
11-06-2013, 16:13
Actually I have not used any pads to supplement my UQs in the past few winters. Even mores since I started using the pod system.
Shug

Can someone point me to threads on "the pod system" or give a brief explanation to a noobie? Forum won't let me search on that word because it is too short.

c0wb0y_hubs
11-06-2013, 16:22
I just cut up an old sleeping bag, sewed loops along the edge, and hooked it up. It certainly doesn't pack like a down UQ, but it really does keep me nice a toast.

peello
11-06-2013, 16:38
Can someone point me to threads on "the pod system" or give a brief explanation to a noobie? Forum won't let me search on that word because it is too short.

Check out Shugs videos (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTe6-kxY5rI&list=SP90542287C5641193&index=5)

Hillbilly Deluxe
11-07-2013, 00:49
lol I've seen virtually every one of Shugs videos since I started hangen, :) I was just looken to purchase one on the cheap, but... Since I don't have cash quite yet for the HG Foyle I picked up some ripstop from walmart, a full body puffer jacket from goodwill (oldschool one with 100% goose down) and a couple of other down jackets and I am currently working on my supplemental UQ till I can get what I need. This is actually turning out pretty cool considering I've found a way to this without have to worry about this fabric being down proof. I am making a new video that will be up on my youtube channel in the next day or two of the whole project. I'll also post pics here

Hillbilly Deluxe
11-07-2013, 00:50
How is that Pod system treaten ya Shug? Any issues at all?

Gravity
11-07-2013, 07:43
Btw, the Foyle is not from HG but from UQ, as in underquilts.com.

Hillbilly Deluxe
11-08-2013, 15:04
yes sorry I've been on every darn hammock site so many times in the last week, it's all turning into a blur. :)

Hillbilly Deluxe
11-08-2013, 15:44
S I finished the puffer jack UQ and it seem to work GREAT!!! I will have a video on it's creation on my youtube channel plus I will post some pics here. I also still intend on picking up the Foyle.