PDA

View Full Version : Nylon Questions

tsquared
04-17-2009, 13:53
I was thinking about getting some nylon for a DIY tarp, but I was wondering if Rip-Stop Nylon is waterproof, or does it have to be Sil Nylon? I know this is probably a newb question, but just making sure I have everything right.

Thanks

Rushthezeppelin
04-17-2009, 14:13
Has to be sil. Regular ripstop is far from waterproof.....its better for applications where you want a breathable fabric such as in the actual hammock and your under and overquilts.

tsquared
04-17-2009, 14:21
So rip stop nylon is no good for water protection from rain on a hammock tarp?

jeffjenn
04-17-2009, 14:36
So rip stop nylon is no good for water protection from rain on a hammock tarp?

Depends on the coating! Sil is ripstop.;)

tsquared
04-17-2009, 14:38
I think people were getting me confused when i asked if the rip stop nylon is waterproof, what i meant to say was, will it keep water off of you?

Sorry for confusing everybody

Preacha Man
04-17-2009, 15:14
It will keep water off of you for a while, especially if it has a DWR (Durable Water Repellent) added to it, but eventually it will start to leak. If you are worried about cost or availability, you can use regular ripstop nylon, and then spray it with aerosol Silicone waterproofing from Wal-Mart, It has an orange lid. This will only be a coating of silicone on top of the material, and not an impregnation of the nylon fibers themselves, as they are in Sil-Nylon. Still should work well, you would just have to reapply waterproofing after a while.

Dwight

tsquared
04-17-2009, 15:19
ok thank you for all of the help