PDA

View Full Version : sety hammock up to close to fire

Rdmar
11-02-2013, 19:47
like the title says i set up to close to fire and got a couple holes burnt in my hammock is there anything to worry bout and what can i do to fix. thanks

PapaSmurf
11-02-2013, 20:58
Can you post a photo or two?
It might be fixable depending on location and how big the burns are?

SilvrSurfr
11-02-2013, 21:42
Randy, what do you consider fixable? For a hiking hammock, I consider any hole no matter how small to be too big. Don't want to have to go to ground!

Mrprez
11-02-2013, 21:53
Especially in the middle of the night!

SilvrSurfr
11-02-2013, 22:11
Especially in the middle of the night!

My favorite 1.1 oz hiking hammock has a tiny hole that appears to be a burn hole. It's not even in a critical spot, but that hammock will never go hiking with me again.

PapaSmurf
11-02-2013, 23:45
Randy, what do you consider fixable? For a hiking hammock, I consider any hole no matter how small to be too big. Don't want to have to go to ground!

It's not a hiking hammock. It's #510, a 72" x 132" Double Layer DangerBird in Black and Red 2.6oz Poly Crinkle Taffeta. This DangerBird took flight on Aug 11th of this year.

If the damage is confined to only one layer, it is likely fixable since Rdmar's weight is well within the capacity of just one of the layers. Not sure if he was successful in getting his wife to join him in the hammock, but I will be advising against it in the future. "Get a room you kids"

If the hammock body is damaged in both layers, the hammock body itself can still be replaced. The net, overcover, etc can be salvaged from the original one and transferred to the new body. It's more expensive this way, but still possible.

That's how we do things at Dream Hammock. Not sure how other vendors handle stuff like this.

Singingcrowsings
11-03-2013, 23:03
Just for future reference.... If I do get a tiny hole at all in a 1.1oz Freebird, could it be salvaged? Is there a limit / size / location where a hole(s) is more or less dangerous?

PapaSmurf
11-03-2013, 23:25
Just for future reference.... If I do get a tiny hole at all in a 1.1oz Freebird, could it be salvaged? Is there a limit / location where it's more or less dangerous?

I've repaired my own personal hammocks that have had very minor snags and areas where the fibers have separated with Seam Grip, which can be purchased from JacksRBetter. I've also made hammocks shorter or narrower to remove damaged areas.

Any holes or damage on a 1.1oz fabric located in the body is probably gonna fail when you least expect it, so I wouldn't advise taking it out where you would be in trouble without it.

fallkniven
11-03-2013, 23:34
i burned 2 dime sized holes in my GTUL about a year ago. both about midway, about a quarter of the way in. Still hang in it almost everyday at work. Hasn't ripped so far...

Mancat
11-04-2013, 05:43
A few of us have used tear Tear-Aid Fabric Repair from Sailrite.com with good success.

Cali
11-04-2013, 06:56
I'm keeping my ThunderBird a good distance away from a fire. I don't want my Dream Hammock hurt in any way. Great support for your hammocks PapaSmurf. Your always there when we need you. :thumbup:

Singingcrowsings
11-04-2013, 10:27
I don't generally eat or cook anywhere near where I sleep, so chances are if I get a hole, it won't be fire, but it's good to know.

I've repaired my own personal hammocks that have had very minor snags and areas where the fibers have separated with Seam Grip, which can be purchased from JacksRBetter. I've also made hammocks shorter or narrower to remove damaged areas.

Any holes or damage on a 1.1oz fabric located in the body is probably gonna fail when you least expect it, so I wouldn't advise taking it out where you would be in trouble without it.

Thanks PapaSmurf!

Rdmar
11-05-2013, 23:59
sorry it took so long to get back on no papa smurf me and the wife gavent slept in it just layed in it in the back yard i will try to post some pics this weekend. i put some patches on it from eno havent layed in it since i love that hammock hope it will be ok. thanks everybody for your input