PDA

View Full Version : MO>Bell Mountain> 9 & 10 Nov

Gideon
11-02-2013, 20:09
Hi everyone; Pyro and I have been out of touch for a long time and missed some good hikes; he and I are determined to get out for an over nighter so I asked him where he wants to go and he wants to go to Bell Mountain.

So, nothing fancy but Pyro and I are doing an over nighter to Bell Mountain. All are welcome to join us. We'll meet at the same trail head we did the last time. I'll post the exact address later. Plan on starting the hike at 11:00 am sharp. Not sure how the weather will be but we plan on going regardless of the weather.

Sorry for the short notice and this won't be a spectacular one like Disco plans but my son and I simply have to get to the woods

Also, tomorrow I'm taking two of my girls and our dog on a day hike at Hawn State park. Low mileage, just hike in towards Pickle Creek and cook lunch, etc. I'll hang some hammocks to sit on and take a short siesta. Plan on hitting the trail around 10:30 if anyone wants to come along. If you do, send me an email at [email protected]

Thanks
Gideon

Disco
11-02-2013, 21:10
I'd love to hike Bell Mt again with you guys, but I'm in a wedding that weekend.
I've been really missing the woods lately myself. Hope you guys have a great time!

Gideon
11-02-2013, 21:18
We'll miss having you along; enjoy the wedding Disco!
Pyro really wants to go back there, I think he had a better time there the first time than I thought.
Gideon

Chewy
11-02-2013, 22:02
I'm 50/50. I'm really wanting to get out and have not been on bell mt. I'll keep a watch on this post and try and make this happen.

Chewy
11-02-2013, 22:17
Gideon when you get a chance can post the address of the trail head you are meeting at?

Skygzr
11-03-2013, 07:46
Hi everyone; Pyro and I have been out of touch for a long time and missed some good hikes; he and I are determined to get out for an over nighter so I asked him where he wants to go and he wants to go to Bell Mountain.

So, nothing fancy but Pyro and I are doing an over nighter to Bell Mountain. All are welcome to join us. We'll meet at the same trail head we did the last time. I'll post the exact address later. Plan on starting the hike at 11:00 am sharp. Not sure how the weather will be but we plan on going regardless of the weather.

Sorry for the short notice and this won't be a spectacular one like Disco plans but my son and I simply have to get to the woods

Also, tomorrow I'm taking two of my girls and our dog on a day hike at Hawn State park. Low mileage, just hike in towards Pickle Creek and cook lunch, etc. I'll hang some hammocks to sit on and take a short siesta. Plan on hitting the trail around 10:30 if anyone wants to come along. If you do, send me an email at [email protected]

Thanks
Gideon

you know I just might be coming. I will now by the middle of the week

rngn
11-03-2013, 15:58

Thanks
Gideon

Hey Gideon , Pyro
Im thinking I might be able to make it down for this. I hope!!!!!

rngn
11-03-2013, 16:19
Im thinking of coming down thusday night anybody want to meet Friday morning?

Spiffyguy
11-03-2013, 20:54
Bummer, I have the next weekend off for 4 days, 14th-17th. Was looking around for a place to go, but I will be utilizing my...um tent. on the trip. Might have to roam around on Be safe out there.

Skygzr
11-04-2013, 21:13
Gideon when you get a chance can post the address of the trail head you are meeting at?

There really isn't an address for the Hwy A trailhead. here are the directions from Potosi.
Hwy A Trailhead: from Potosi, take Hwy 8 one mile East to Hwy 21. Go South on Hwy 21 for 11 miles. Or take Hwy 21 South for 17 miles to Hwy 32. Take Hwy 32 West for 8 miles to Hwy A. Take Hwy A approx 5 miles South to site.

the parking lot GPS coordinates are approx. 37.6277N, 90.9102W

Skygzr
11-04-2013, 21:16
I am planning on being there for the start on Saturday

Skygzr
11-06-2013, 19:05
just spoke to Woody "RNGN" he will be waiting for us at the intersection of the OT and Bell Mountain on Saturday. He is going to hike in from the Johnson Shut-Ins trail and do the Goggins mountain loop on Friday.

Gideon
11-07-2013, 12:04
Hi all; here's some more info on the meeting spot.

Directions from Potosi:
Go South on Hwy 21 for 17 miles to Hwy 32. Take Hwy 32 West for 8 miles to Hwy A. Take Hwy A approx 5 miles South to site.

http://goo.gl/maps/z83A8

The google map actually shows the parking lot; the trailhead starts across the road.

Looks like there'll only be a few us but it'll be fun and it looks like the weather is going to be perfect for this trip.

And on this trip, I'm setting my alarm to be sure I'm up to watch the sunrise; it's the perfect place to do that!

Not sure how much more posting I'll do between now and then but Pyro and I are looking forward to it and i guess we'll see who we see at the trailhead this Saturday!

Gideon

Gideon
11-07-2013, 12:05
Just a reminder; we'll start hiking at 11:00 am on Saturday so get there by then if at all possible.

;)

Gideon

Skygzr
11-07-2013, 12:07
Just a reminder; we'll start hiking at 11:00 am on Saturday so get there by then if at all possible.

;)

Gideon

Gideon
If my truck is there but I am not, then I came in the night before and I am up at the trail junction of the OT and Bell waiting for you
Otherwise I will there to start with you

Kerflop
11-07-2013, 13:35
Two weeks in the row Skygzr? You are the man :)

Gideon
11-07-2013, 15:12
Hope you can make it Chewy; the weather is supposed to be perfect. There isn't a better place that I can think of to watch a sunrise...and from your hammock if you pick/get the right spot. I missed the sunrise the first time I was there...I was sleeping too soundly. So this time I'm setting an alarm. My son loves the place; it's where the group gave him his trail name so he has fond memories of it.

The rest of you guys, we'll see you at the trail head or later at the connector you're talking about.

Gideon

fgtayl01
11-08-2013, 22:16
Have fun guys. I was going to come but my engine light came on this morning so I'll be chatting with a mechanic instead.

Gideon
11-09-2013, 07:52
Sorry you couldn't make it; final weather check is perfect! Sunrise tomorrow morning atop Bell Mountain with my Son and some friends...well, it really doesn't get better than that!

For Disco and the others who couldn't make it...you'll be missed. We'll talk about you for sure! ;)

Gideon

Disco
11-09-2013, 11:45
Have a great hike, guys!

Spider
11-09-2013, 13:28
Enjoy this perfect weekend on the Bell guys. Wish I could be there also.

rngn
11-09-2013, 14:36
We wish u were here

ClayTurner
11-09-2013, 21:47
Perfect weather right now to be out there, sorry that I am in the back 40, but at least I am in the hammock!

Gideon
11-10-2013, 19:48
Well guys, it was an awsome trip!! Despite being a last minute thing we had a wonderful time. Hairbear, Woody, Skygazer, Pyro, and I made it and we had a new forum member attend, his name is Chuck; can't remember is trail name. He recited some of the best stories/poems I've ever heard while the coyotes sang out. Simply amazing. You had to be there to appreicate it. Hairbear got an interesting visit in the morning. Without his glasses he heard a snort or two and some walking around under his hammock by an animal. He looked out without his glasses and saw what looked like a mountain lion....for a minute. Turned out to be a golden retriever from another camp! :lol:

We all wanted Disco's old hanging spot on Bell mountain; Woody ended up getting it!

Pyro make a fantasitic fire; just great and in keeping with his trail name.

All in all, a great last minute, very little notice, hang. We sure missed Digitizer, Disco and some of you other guys like spiffyguy!

It was the perfect view, perfect weather and perfect friends. I was absolutely thrilled that my son was there to hear these guys wisdom!

it just doesn't get better than this. Thank you to each of you who came out! I was proud to have my sone in your company! And I really mean that!

Gideon

Gideon
11-10-2013, 20:21
Heres a few photos:

triforresttri
11-10-2013, 21:23
I'm even more envious. I thought it looked like good weather but sounds like a good group of guys too. Maybe I'll get to crash the party on the next one.

rngn
11-10-2013, 21:31
Heres a few photos:

Man that was a good pic, Its amazing how intelligent you guy really are, I learned so much again this year. thanx again RNGN(woody)

hairbear
11-11-2013, 07:22
Fantastic hang guys,it was great to spend time with you guys again.

Skygzr
11-11-2013, 09:11
I will try and get a video and pictures posted in full in the next week.

Skygzr
11-11-2013, 09:13

Kerflop
11-11-2013, 11:28
Were these shots taken with your iPhone? they look great...

Gideon
11-11-2013, 15:07
Mine were taken with an IPhone 5; it does take great pics. It was a wonderful hike and so unusual. Chuck regaled us with some of the most interesting poems; they were actually 8 minute long rhyming stories that were simply amazing. All delivered with great oratory skills around a campfire with coyotes howling at just the right time for dramatic effect. Seriously, you couldn't plan or arrange anything like that if you wanted to!

Truthfully, you had to be there; it was one of the more unique and special times I've had in the woods. My son will remember that night the rest of his life. I was thankful to be able to bring my son to an event like that. The next day while we were hiking, he remarked about how wise all of you men are and interesting and "different" everyone is from one another. To impress a 14 year old in that way is impressive in and of itself.

He also thinks Hairbear should check out Eharmoney.com :)

You guys are the best!

Gideon

rngn
11-11-2013, 18:38
Everybody start PM ( smaug) Chuck so we can get him to start posting . He was the great storyteller at Bell Mt Hang. It was definitely A honor to meet this very wise man.

hairbear
11-11-2013, 21:05
Mine were taken with an IPhone 5; it does take great pics. It was a wonderful hike and so unusual. Chuck regaled us with some of the most interesting poems; they were actually 8 minute long rhyming stories that were simply amazing. All delivered with great oratory skills around a campfire with coyotes howling at just the right time for dramatic effect. Seriously, you couldn't plan or arrange anything like that if you wanted to!

Truthfully, you had to be there; it was one of the more unique and special times I've had in the woods. My son will remember that night the rest of his life. I was thankful to be able to bring my son to an event like that. The next day while we were hiking, he remarked about how wise all of you men are and interesting and "different" everyone is from one another. To impress a 14 year old in that way is impressive in and of itself.

He also thinks Hairbear should check out Eharmoney.com :)

You guys are the best!

Gideon

Lol at the eharmoney,I thought we were friends!
I feel the kindness in that thought pyro,thanks .
To me right now the thought of a relationship would be like offering a newly released inmate of 25 years a free tour of Alcatraz.

Skygzr
11-16-2013, 14:39
here
https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?p=1133963#post1133963

and here directly to the blog
http://mustexplore.blogspot.com/2013/11/one-night-hang-at-bell-mountain.html

video coming soon