PDA

View Full Version : Proud Dad

NorseAmerican
04-22-2009, 09:25
My little guy(12) just spent his first night out at a scouting campout in his new BB 1.1 double and Bigmambajamba Tarp.

The scoutmaster had called me earlier in the day to warn me there were no trees at the camp area, so I put in his pack a single man tent I aquired 25 years ago for the AT just in case. Well, My son would have none of it, and found 2 small trees near the canal. He reported back to me that he had slept the whole night through and had THE most comfortable sleep of the Troop.

One of the Dad's who went said they were worried for him durring the night, because he basically set up on top of some gators at the canal ridge. Typical kid it seems here in So. FL-chasing wild pigs at night and hanging with gators:cool:

He is now ready and geared up for this summer Long Trail thru hike and really excited about it.

Cannibal
04-22-2009, 09:31
Cool!

I'd be much more worried about gators in a tent than a hammock. I think I would have told the other campers "That's funny, my boy said he was worried about ya'll all night."

elcolombianito
04-22-2009, 10:30
Nice!
I have a 12 year old sister who, after many years of trying, has convinced me to let her join me on my backpacking trips. She loves hammocks too, and refuses to sleep in tents.

Not this weekend, but the next one (may 1-3) we will be hammocking (both on HH expedition A-syms) at a national park called Chicaque. Its about 40 min from my home. This is planned as a test trip to see if she could actually join me on my backpacking trips, which i would like alot, specially with her being such a hammok lover.

NorseAmerican
04-22-2009, 14:04
It is great to see kids getting involved with hammocks. Have a great trip with your sister.

elcolombianito
04-22-2009, 15:35
Thanks!
Obviously its great she likes hammocking, but its kind of a family thing. Im just excited about her liking outdoor/wilderness trips, specially mine which she has heard about many times and most people don't feel atracted to.
Any way, maybe your son and my sister will meet someday backpacking-hammocking... that would be sweet.