PDA

View Full Version : KS>Woodridge>Dec 14th-15th

Owl
11-16-2013, 17:50
OK, it's official. Weasel has PTO approved for Dec 14th-15th. It'll be his first hang in about a year.

Come on out folks!!!

Who's in?

Owl
Weasel
Wolf-child (other son)
???

RADIOHEAD
11-16-2013, 21:44
I will be there!

RADIOHEAD
11-16-2013, 21:47
I will be there!

Barring any unforseen circumstances so will Trailboss!

Skygzr
11-17-2013, 04:55
OK, it's official. Weasel has PTO approved for Dec 14th-15th. It'll be his first hang in about a year.

Come on out folks!!!

Who's in?

Owl
Weasel
Wolf-child (other son)
???

its on the calendar

Dudorino
11-17-2013, 09:02
I'm a maybe.

triforresttri
11-18-2013, 15:41
I'd love to get in on this but I'm running 12k in St Louis on the 14th. I'll keep lurking the Trip Planning forum though. As a hammock rookie, it'd be nice to learn from everyone.

-Forrest

Skygzr
11-18-2013, 16:20

Come on out folks!!!

Who's in?

Owl
Weasel
Wolf-child (other son)
???

has anyone spoken to walkingbear? I will PM him

Walking Bear
11-18-2013, 21:18
I did not see this until today. Thanks for the PM Skygzr.
Nebraska football season will be over by then, and that opens up the weekends. I don't see anything on my calendar at this time. I have not been out much this year and miss it. So if the weather is not to sever I think I will try to make it.
Is it only going to be one night or will some be arriving on Friday?

Skygzr
11-18-2013, 21:21
I believe people will be there Friday night as well - is that correct Owl?

RADIOHEAD
11-18-2013, 23:59
Trailboss and I will be there on Friday.

Owl
11-19-2013, 09:31
Absolutely correct. I listed the weekend dates since those were the days my son got off work...but we'll be out Friday night and Saturday night.

Hope to see you out there, Walkingbear!

Looks like we've got:
Owl
Weasel
Owl's other son
Radiohead
Trailboss
Skygzr
Hoot

Maybe's:
Dudorino
Walkingbear

I'm gonna send some more PM's out to Vic, Fugawhee, MrClean, and a few of the other folks that have been out or interested in a KC area hang.

Steveo in Mo.
11-19-2013, 23:08
I'm a nubie and I hope to DIY my gear in time to hang in KC , just where is it at exactly if I could ask.

Owl
11-19-2013, 23:14
Come on out, Steveo! We're car camping, so bring your back up ground gear if you need to...we're not an uppity bunch, and it's always better to have extra gear and not need it than to have to bail 'cause you didn't.

Woodridge Public Use Area is on the west side of Clinton Lake, which is itself just west of Lawrence, KS.

Here's a link to the google map for the page.

https://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF-8&q=Woodridge+Public+Use+Area&fb=1&gl=us&hq=woodridge+public+use+area&cid=0,0,4291222520385275245&ei=ODaMUuPxFsqliQKUwICABg&ved=0CIkBEPwSMAs

Water isn't an issue, as there is a well located at the trailhead. There are also vault toilets there as well. Just bring your camp gear, plenty of food, and a good sense of humor...we always have a good time when we hang!

Steveo in Mo.
11-19-2013, 23:21
Thanks Owl I will pencil it in and do my best to be able to hang . My thread injector should be back by weekends so i can start making hammock and quilts:D

fuhgawee
11-20-2013, 09:27
Sounds good Owl, I'm in

1066vik
11-20-2013, 21:21
well, drat.
I have to work late on the 13th and all day on the 14th -- if things go badly, I may still be there sunday... :(

steveks
11-22-2013, 10:15
If I can get a under quilt made for my hammock I will be there. I need a weekend away.

Owl
11-22-2013, 11:25
If I can get a under quilt made for my hammock I will be there. I need a weekend away.

Even if you can't...grab a blue wally-world pad and come on out!

steveks
11-22-2013, 12:03
I have the blue pad, just not sure how warm it will keep me. I must be warm to sleep. I will try to work something out.

RADIOHEAD
11-23-2013, 04:56
I have the blue pad, just not sure how warm it will keep me. I must be warm to sleep. I will try to work something out.

I have a spare modular ACWS bag setup with a bivy, have used it with a pad inside the bivy to keep the pad in place. Works pretty good and the bags are rated to around -15. You are welcome to use it if you would like.

RamenShamen
11-26-2013, 10:43
I am a definite maybe! :P It all depends on when my next trip to the Philippines is going to take place.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ramenshaman/sets/72157638082980424/

Hoot
11-27-2013, 16:06
Hoot for sure
+1 Maybe

hairbear
11-27-2013, 18:00
Im going to pay you guys a visit.
Seems like a good time.

Skygzr
11-28-2013, 07:46
Im going to pay you guys a visit.
Seems like a good time.

:lol::lol:

Owl
11-28-2013, 14:04
Excellent! Come on out, Hairbear! It'll be nice to meet you!

Owl
11-29-2013, 10:10
Looks like we've got:
Owl
Weasel
Owl's other son
Radiohead
Trailboss
Skygzr
Hoot (maybe +1)
Fuhgawee
Steveks
SteveoinMO
Hairbear

Maybe's:
Dudorino
Walkingbear
VIK1066
RamenShaman

Gonna be a good sized crowd. Wondering how many folks we'll see out there THIS run...last time we were all shocked at how many folks were out.

Just a reminder for the newer folks...the park rules are:
1. Fires in fire rings only (use of camp stoves doesn't count towards this)
2. No cutting wood (they mean don't chop the green trees down...LOL)
3. No alcohol. (I'll leave how this rule is understood to the folks who are coming out)

Since we'll probably be car camping right at the trailhead, bring whatever extra gear you might want to share or showoff. There is a vault latrine and well right there at the trailhead as well, and there are 4.5 miles of trails to hike if you get bored.

Looking forward to this run!

Jaker
11-29-2013, 17:35
Well I'm new to the Midwest hammock camping. Moved back to my home in KC from the south. I have a WB Ridgerunner double layer, but no insulation really. I could buy a warmer sleeping bag and a pad for the double layer, but not sure what to buy to make it warmer.

Owl
11-30-2013, 11:36
Well I'm new to the Midwest hammock camping. Moved back to my home in KC from the south. I have a WB Ridgerunner double layer, but no insulation really. I could buy a warmer sleeping bag and a pad for the double layer, but not sure what to buy to make it warmer.

I'm sure we've got a couple of spare wally pads you can borrow for under insulation. If you've got a decent sleeping bag, and a tarp to go with your hammock, you'll probably be good.

Come on out! You'll find the standard KC crew (Hoot, Radiohead, Ramenshaman, Weasel & I, Vik, Fuhgawee, etc...), along with the extended crew (Dudorino, Skygzr, etc...) are all relatively laid back, easy going folk!

Skygzr
11-30-2013, 14:59
I'm sure we've got a couple of spare wally pads you can borrow for under insulation. If you've got a decent sleeping bag, and a tarp to go with your hammock, you'll probably be good.

Come on out! You'll find the standard KC crew (Hoot, Radiohead, Ramenshaman, Weasel & I, Vik, Fuhgawee, etc...), along with the extended crew (Dudorino, Skygzr, etc...) are all relatively laid back, easy going folk!

second- just say the word and we can bring you extra insulation and UQ to try with your ridgerunner

Jaker
11-30-2013, 16:09

I keep on hearing about these Wally pads. What are they exactly? I need to get a new sleeping bag anyways because my other is a fleece summer sleeping bag. Any recommendations? I have the WB Cloudburst, so tarp is good to go!

second- just say the word and we can bring you extra insulation and UQ to try with your ridgerunner

Thanks for offering Skygzr! Since we are car camping it wouldn't hurt. I'm sure I'm going to bring a lot of stuff. I've never camped in a hammock during the cold, so I need to get the gear. That way I don't have to wait through a season.

1066vik
12-04-2013, 00:27
they're blue closed cell foam pads roughly 20x72"x 1/2" thick.
I currently use a piece of reflectix radiant barrier under my bag - it's 24" wide and weighs nothing, but you'll still need a good bag to sleep in. It replaced a self-inflating mat in my kit - which I still tend to carry with as a "just in case" or loaner.

I know several people who use a mil-surp MSS (2 nested bags and a gore-tex bivy) in their hammock for winter, another buddy who uses a poncho liner and space blanket for his underquilt and another poncho liner over his structural ridgeline under the tarp as a "tent".

my first hang was one of these December outings - I used the self inflating pad, a 40 year old military surplus bag, and an 8x8 tarp set up as a diamond. slept in sweats, thick wool socks, and a fleece quarter zip - and was plenty comfortable.
Trick I've learned since is to sleep wearing an insulated "patrol cap" with rigid bill (sort of like a ball cap with ear flaps) - head stays warm and the bill maintains some breathing soom so I don't feel smothered when burrowing in the bag when the wind picks up around 4 AM. :)

RADIOHEAD
12-04-2013, 02:18
Another trick a lot of folks use is the tried and true hot water bottle. A nalgene or military surplus canteen works great. Plus it ensures you will have water in non-solid state in the morning for your oatmeal and first cup of coffee. By the way I will pack my roll of reflectex if anyone needs a sleep or foot pad.

Jaker
12-04-2013, 11:20
So today I physically got the Military Modular Sleep System. I realized that ArmyGear.Net was right down the road from me. I inspected all of the gear separately and chose the best items. I got the bivy cover, intermediate bag, patrol bag, compression sack and a military foam pad. Now I just need to test it out in the WBRR! Everything looks brand new and I picked it up for $78! Cold front coming through Missouri! Might just test it out in this 10-20 degree weather we're about to have!

RADIOHEAD
12-04-2013, 11:41
So today I physically got the Military Modular Sleep System. I realized that ArmyGear.Net was right down the road from me. I inspected all of the gear separately and chose the best items. I got the bivy cover, intermediate bag, patrol bag, compression sack and a military foam pad. Now I just need to test it out in the WBRR! Everything looks brand new and I picked it up for $78! Cold front coming through Missouri! Might just test it out in this 10-20 degree weather we're about to have!

I don't think you will be disappointed in its performance. I like mine but as you already know the whole rig weighs in at around 7 pounds or so. Only drawback with it if you are backpacking any distance. I still have mine as my go to setup when I car camp though.

RADIOHEAD
12-06-2013, 13:37
Just wondering what he firewood situation is like lately at Woodridge? Still enough ground wood to keep the fire stoked? If not I can haul some in from the house. Any suggestions?

Owl
12-06-2013, 15:35
Ramen and I found a good amount out there when we were there about a month ago, but there were quite a few more people out there than I'd expected this time of year.

I'd say if you could bring a bit, it might be worthwhile. Just in case.

1066vik
12-06-2013, 20:34

not a bad price - any chance they had some of those in "tall"?

Jaker
12-07-2013, 20:50
not a bad price - any chance they had some of those in "tall"?

I'm not really sure they come in different sizes. I'm 6' 2" 185 lbs and I have just the right amount of room. Any more inches in height and I think you wouldn't fit into the intermediate bag. The patrol bag and bivy sack are huge though.

Owl
12-09-2013, 10:56
Looking forward to this run! Got a PM from Fuhgawee that he can't make it out on this run :( , but looks like we'll have some good attendance otherwise.

I plan on taking Friday as PTO, and being onsite sometime Friday afternoon if possible. Looks like Weasel will be coming out with us, and his twin brother Kyle is planning on coming out for his first cold weather camping run.

RADIOHEAD
12-09-2013, 17:26
Just for FYI:

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?CityName=Kansas+City&state=MO&site=EAX&lat=39.0904&lon=-94.5837#.UqZCXOXCuJo

Skygzr
12-09-2013, 17:46
Looking forward to this run! Got a PM from Fuhgawee that he can't make it out on this run :( , but looks like we'll have some good attendance otherwise.

I plan on taking Friday as PTO, and being onsite sometime Friday afternoon if possible. Looks like Weasel will be coming out with us, and his twin brother Kyle is planning on coming out for his first cold weather camping run.

Vicky and I will be there late Friday, barring any weather issues.

hairbear
12-09-2013, 22:45
Vicky and I will be there late Friday, barring any weather issues.

Hey skygzr the plant that you identified on bell as a cone flower was spot on.
Echinacia cone flower was one that was not familiar to me. Good eye

Owl
12-10-2013, 09:47
Coming:
Owl
Weasel
Owl's other son (Wolf)
Radiohead
Trailboss
Skygzr
Otter
Hoot (maybe +1)
Jaker
Steveks
SteveoinMO
Hairbear

Maybe's:
Dudorino
Walkingbear
VIK1066
RamenShaman

Any new updates from the maybes? Tony? Jeremy?

Looks like an excellent chance to test out some new gear! :) At this point, it looks like it'll be the coldest 'official' KC area hang so far. :)

Walking Bear
12-10-2013, 13:02
I looks like I will not make it this time to the hang.
I fell on some ice back before Thanksgiving, and still sore from that fall. Report from a friend that was in front of me was my feet went about waist high before the sudden drop to the concrete on my back. My right back shoulder is still sore from that. It was the worst fall I have ever had. I went to the doctor for Xrays and he said no broken bones that he could see. He wanted to give me drugs for prevention of pneumonia because of sore chest and shallow breathing. I declined that prescription because I already take one for that because of my sever asthma.
I have been sleeping in the recliner since then, so I'm not sure the hammock will work. I could have set it up to see if it would work.
My wife also does not want me exposed to that much cold air because of my lungs, and that plays into the decision also.
I'll miss the fun, campfire and good discussion by all. I was also looking forward to meeting some new faces.
Maybe next time.

Owl
12-10-2013, 14:25
You'll be in our thoughts and prayers, Walking Bear.

And if it makes you feel better...you're thought of every single morning at breakfast, every single hang we've had out there since the first one when you came.

You reminded us of the meaning of "car camping"...and set the standard pretty darned high for a good breakfast meal that trip!!!

Rest up, friend, and we'll look forward to seeing you out there when you've recovered!

RADIOHEAD
12-10-2013, 14:55
Anyone have any thoughts on the forecas for friday and friday night? I have some nice large tarps and smaller ones for walls. Anyone have any extendable tent poles?

1066vik
12-10-2013, 19:49
I will definitely be working Friday evening and all day Saturday - and it looks like SWMBO has plans for holiday shopping in KC on Sunday. (at least I'll get to start the day out with brunch at Granite City!)

Skygzr
12-10-2013, 20:00
Hey skygzr the plant that you identified on bell as a cone flower was spot on.
Echinacia cone flower was one that was not familiar to me. Good eye

:lol: ya i have some in my back yard.

Owl
12-10-2013, 22:15
Anyone have any thoughts on the forecas for friday and friday night? I have some nice large tarps and smaller ones for walls. Anyone have any extendable tent poles?

I don't have any poles...we'll have to see what we can manage. This looks to be our coldest hang for Woodridge on this run.

Everyone needs to make sure that they bring plenty of cold weather gear and extra clothes if need be.

RADIOHEAD
12-10-2013, 23:33
I don't have any poles...we'll have to see what we can manage. This looks to be our coldest hang for Woodridge on this run.

Everyone needs to make sure that they bring plenty of cold weather gear and extra clothes if need be.

For clarity here what I thought was to make a large community shelter for cooking, keep firewood and ourselves dry. Wanted some extendable poles for suspending a roof and to tie walls to. If anyone has some let me know. If not I kinda needed an excuse to buy some myself! :p

Owl
12-11-2013, 09:48
Well, forecast as it stands this morning is for 1-3 inches of snow Friday night. Low temp that night is supposed to be 17 deg, with 19mph gusts. Temps won't get high enough to even start melting until MAYBE Sunday sometime.

As long as the roads don't get bad enough I can't drive home, I'm still game. I've not yet hammocked in the snow...been wanting to try it.

I'm thinking that I may bring in a bit of firewood and keep it in the trunk of the car until we need it as well...to make sure we've got some to cook on/warm up with as needed. Also thinking I'm going to bring my solostoves out on this run rather than the iso-pro ones, and use wood pellets. I've got a huge bag of the pellets, so can use those stoves for warm up as desired as well that way.

Everyone still in? Or does the crew think we should postpone?

RADIOHEAD
12-11-2013, 10:08
From what I am seeing on the NOAA site we will get rain Friday day, changing to sleet and snow Friday night and ending early Saturday. I am guessing they will have the roads cleared by Saturday so we won't be marooned. I am like Owl on this one, want to try my rig in snow. Since this is a car camping run it would add some security for the weather issues. I am still willing to go if enough want to as well.

Skygzr
12-11-2013, 14:50
Well, forecast as it stands this morning is for 1-3 inches of snow Friday night. Low temp that night is supposed to be 17 deg, with 19mph gusts. Temps won't get high enough to even start melting until MAYBE Sunday sometime.

As long as the roads don't get bad enough I can't drive home, I'm still game. I've not yet hammocked in the snow...been wanting to try it.

I'm thinking that I may bring in a bit of firewood and keep it in the trunk of the car until we need it as well...to make sure we've got some to cook on/warm up with as needed. Also thinking I'm going to bring my solostoves out on this run rather than the iso-pro ones, and use wood pellets. I've got a huge bag of the pellets, so can use those stoves for warm up as desired as well that way.

Everyone still in? Or does the crew think we should postpone?

We will play it by ear- I am not worried about getting in and out with the Hummer- it is the Hwy 70 travel in the bad weather- it is not a safe section between STL and KC
We will decide Friday and let everyone know

Steveo in Mo.
12-11-2013, 16:51
I'm not going to make this one went to get oil change and they screwed up the drain plug. It's in the repair shop ( they are paying to fix it ) and may not get it back in time. Have fun i will be ready for the next one I hope .

Walking Bear
12-11-2013, 20:02
I saw RV camper using extendable paint roller poles to hold up a awning extennsion.

steveks
12-11-2013, 21:00
I am not going to make it out Too many weekends chasing my son for football has left too many things undone at home. Post some pics of the weekend.

Owl
12-12-2013, 13:17
Was looking forward to meeting you both, Steves. Hopefully things will work out better next run.

As it stands right now, I'm still planning on going out and seeing how it looks. Haven't heard from Tony or Jeremy as to whether or not they can make it yet, and am assuming that Hoot and Radio are still a go.

I'm going to double check things again in the morning...we may end up postponing if the weather looks like it's going to be bad enough for travel on I-70.

Jaker
12-12-2013, 16:17
I'm still in so far! Just need to figure out what I want to cook in my jetboil sumo! Going to scavenge the grocery store later. I have nothing going on tomorrow, so I might head out and set up that afternoon.

RADIOHEAD
12-12-2013, 16:32
Was looking forward to meeting you both, Steves. Hopefully things will work out better next run.

As it stands right now, I'm still planning on going out and seeing how it looks. Haven't heard from Tony or Jeremy as to whether or not they can make it yet, and am assuming that Hoot and Radio are still a go.

I'm going to double check things again in the morning...we may end up postponing if the weather looks like it's going to be bad enough for travel on I-70.

Owl Trailboss and I are still good to go. If it is decided to cancel any way you could say go or no go by 6 AM tomorrow morning? Reason I ask is I was letting Trailboss miss school tomorrow to do this one. It would give sufficient time for her to still get on the bus if it is decided to postpone.

Owl
12-12-2013, 21:13
Spoke with Ramen...he's going to go into work and see if he can get Friday off...pack out, and try to head out towards Woodridge around noon to try to get out ahead of the rain turning to ice/sleet.

My plan is the same at this point, pending changes in the weather of course.

I'm HOPING to be onsite early afternoon, and getting setup before the weather hits.

I don't know if I'll be able to make a decision prior to 6am...all I can say is that it looks like a go at this point, unless the forecast takes a serious turn for the worse.

Not sure on Hoot's status, nor Dudorino. Skygzr and his wife will be making their call tomorrow.

Weasel, wolf, and myself will be there, Ramen is most likely a go, Radiohead and Trailboss should be there too...and our newest KC hanger Jaker is a go at this point...we've got enough to go out and have fun, even if we're all in hammocks by 9pm watching the snow come down.

hairbear
12-12-2013, 21:21
Dont look for me t o make it guys.
Dog sitter bailed,cant responsibly bring a boston terrier with no fat and little fur out in it.
Hope to see you all next time.

Jaker
12-12-2013, 21:33
From what I could see it says less than an inch of this weather. Plus nothing on precipitation for Saturday. By the time Sunday comes around I would think any possible weather condition would be in the clear and everything would be dried up. I'll probably be there early afternoon to get my stuff up before the weather picks up. Never been here, so not too sure what the site looks like and where everyone is hanging within the park.

RADIOHEAD
12-12-2013, 21:35
Got a text from Hoot. Said his boss was out of town and he was charged with watching the store while he was gone. He said he was going to have to miss.

I will pick up Trailboss in the morning. Still planning to make up a cook shack provided I can find some poles. Goimg to have to back out on firewood though as I will not be in a truck but a hatchback instead.

Plans are to head out from Liberty around 11 at the latest.

Owl
12-12-2013, 21:39
You can't miss us, Jaker...we're the guys with the hammocks! =-)

We're going to setup on the trailhead again, at least tomorrow. Probably in the back left corner of the site as you come in.

There are vault latrines and a pump well there at the trailhead, and assuming the gate is still open (was open year 'round last year), you can pull in and park anywhere in the loop. If the gate happens to be closed, that does NOT mean the park isn't open to the public (unless there's a sign on it indicating otherwise, right Ramen? :) ). If that happens, just park on the shoulder of the road at the gate, and come on in.

That final drive up is a gravel path, so don't freak out and think you're going the wrong way. :)

MrClean417
12-12-2013, 22:38
Working late again this year, then Sams trip Friday, Christmas tree hunting and babysitting Sat-Sun.

You guys have fun. I'll be having fun, but it will be a different sort of fun. Maybe I'll get a fire going in the backyard in Unity.

Skygzr
12-13-2013, 06:52
Hey guys,
it is not so much the weather, time just caught up to me this weekend. Just too much stuff still to do before my parents arrive for a month visit on Sunday.
I will see you all next time- sorry

Hoot
12-13-2013, 08:32
Got a text from Hoot. Said his boss was out of town and he was charged with watching the store while he was gone. He said he was going to have to miss.

I will pick up Trailboss in the morning. Still planning to make up a cook shack provided I can find some poles. Goimg to have to back out on firewood though as I will not be in a truck but a hatchback instead.

Plans are to head out from Liberty around 11 at the latest.

Radiohead is correct. I am stuck.

Owl, when you get on sight let me know if 4g is working. If it is, I can at least come visit tomorrow with option to fix **** if it breaks. Just Text me. Or Raman - whoever is there first!

Important note about Radiohead - If he says 11am, he means 3-6pm. :D

Hey guys,
it is not so much the weather, time just caught up to me this weekend. Just too much stuff still to do before my parents arrive for a month visit on Sunday.
I will see you all next time- sorry

Enjoy that month with the Parents! I'll PM ya that info in a Minute.

Hoot
12-13-2013, 08:34
From what I could see it says less than an inch of this weather. Plus nothing on precipitation for Saturday. By the time Sunday comes around I would think any possible weather condition would be in the clear and everything would be dried up. I'll probably be there early afternoon to get my stuff up before the weather picks up. Never been here, so not too sure what the site looks like and where everyone is hanging within the park.

Owl is right, no way to Miss the crew if they are at the trail head (Public Use Area)

This place is amazing for "Kansas", for sure a best kept secret.

Enjoy!

Owl
12-13-2013, 09:54
Folks...I'm gonna call it. We've lost the majority of the folks that were interested, the weather is still pretty iffy, and I don't know what the roads to/from the site itself will look like over the weekend.

Add that to having some gear concerns for one of my sons as well...I gotta call it guys.

I apologize. I feel bad calling it the day of, but I had hopes to make the run.

We'll setup a reschedule for mid-Jan.

Again, sorry guys.

RADIOHEAD
12-13-2013, 10:44
:crying:crying:crying:crying But. . . But. . . I wanna camp! Trailboss and I are gonna play it by ear. If the weather cooporates (they say we are not gettingt much of the freezing rain) we may try somewhere local (watkins mill perhaps). Is there anyone left that wants to try? If so we could perhaps get together. If nothing else the weather is going to clear out by 1 tonight so we could still hang tomorrow night. Any takers?

Jaker
12-13-2013, 15:16
I sent you a PM and tried calling. I'm still down for camping this weekend!

Owl
12-13-2013, 23:14
OK...I have to say that I'm glad I didn't head out there tonight.

I really wanted to camp out in the snow. Was looking forward to hammocking in that, maybe some good video/pics with the snow.

I don't particularly enjoy camping out in nearly freezing rain. Mud + cold=not much fun.

I'd have preferred camping in a snowstorm. LOL!

RADIOHEAD
12-14-2013, 02:26
Jaker, Trailboss and I headed out to Watkins Mill. I am in agreement with you Owl regarding the rain. But I picked up a Greylock 4 over 2 months ago and I had yet to try it on my Clark. It was driving me NUTS! Would have preferred a snow over a rain but still glad to get this out of my system. Plus I neede to hone my deployment skills on the hammock in bad weather anyway. Will let you know if we turn blue or not. And I do hope we get another hang set up in January!

Sporto
12-14-2013, 20:59
Has/Is the Hang rescheduled?

Owl
12-15-2013, 10:20
Yes, we ended up postponing/cancelling this run. Lost the majority of folks on Friday, partially due to weather, partially due to the time of year and how busy everyone is.

1066vik
12-15-2013, 10:31
good to hear - Friday afternoon wasn't bad, but the freezing mist Friday night followed by a pretty cold Saturday would not have made for a fun hang -- "good training weather" as we used to call it, but not "fun".

Owl
12-15-2013, 18:34
Spoke with Ramen and Hoot...sounds like Woodridge was closed this weekend for some 'special event'. My bad for not having checked that out first...never seen it closed like that before.

Apologies to Dudorino especially, who I heard made the drive from Omaha. Sorry man!!!

1066vik
12-15-2013, 21:13
did they relocate to the north side of Perry where we did the spring hike & camp?

RADIOHEAD
01-05-2014, 17:52
Looks like we are about a week out from mid January. Has a new date been set for the reschedule?

Owl
01-06-2014, 10:04
Sorry Radio...not done so since Weasel has been a bit confused on when his drill weekend is this month. I'll consult momma and see when she's willing to do without me for a weekend.

1066vik
01-06-2014, 10:30
this coming weekend I will be in Western ks. the 30th I'll be up in the middle of Nebraska hanging with some bushcrafters.