PDA

View Full Version : WTB cheap DL hammock

dakotaross
11-18-2013, 14:57
Hoping I can take someone's heavier than needed double layer hammock off their hands to use for camping with my dog(s), whom I presume is going to want to be in the hammock with me. I'll be working to train them to stay on the ground nearby, but don't want to risk ruining my light hiking hammock during the WIP.

Don't care about the suspension, I've got both extra whoops and buckles.

Prefer no net, or at least one where the net can be rolled out of the way, but figure the "cheap" part negates a lot of those hammocks. Let me know what you have and what you want for it, or just describe and I'll make an offer.

dakotaross
11-20-2013, 14:46
nobody? anybody got suggestions for where to buy something decent, but cheap?

G Maurice
11-20-2013, 14:54
I don't know what you mean by cheap, but you can get a brand new Warbonnet Traveler DL for $75.00. Thats pretty cheap for a high quality product that will last for many years.

mtroxell
11-20-2013, 14:56
[QUOTE=dakotaross;1135174]Hoping I can take someone's heavier than needed double layer hammock off their hands to use for camping with my dog(s), whom I presume is going to want to be in the hammock with me.

I don't know of any hammock that would survive even one day of a dogs claws in it without shredding

gmcttr
11-20-2013, 16:11
Do you need a DL or were you just thinking of it for strength? If you don't need the DL, get a polyester tablecloth (http://www.tableclothsfactory.com/tablecloths-Table-Linens-Chair-Covers-Sashes-s/96.htm) (plain poly, not the crinkle taffeta). Just whip the ends and larks head whoopie slings on to it and go hang.

They are over 4 oz/sy and should take abuse better than ripstop nylon.

eviscerate3
11-20-2013, 16:12
I DIY'ed one not too long ago. Cost about 23.00 in materials and about two hours of my time. My favorite hammock yet! (I now have 7 hammocks:))

Zilla
11-20-2013, 16:17
Do you need a DL or were you just thinking of it for strength? If you don't need the DL, get a polyester tablecloth (http://www.tableclothsfactory.com/tablecloths-Table-Linens-Chair-Covers-Sashes-s/96.htm) (plain poly, not the crinkle taffeta). Just whip the ends and larks head whoopie slings on to it and go hang.

They are over 4 oz/sy and should take abuse better than ripstop nylon.

What he said !

dakotaross
11-21-2013, 10:16
Well, my thinking was to use a thin pad - I have a JRB torso pad - in the layers which would give some insulation, of course, but also protect the hammock some against the onslaught of claws, which I would be sure to cut down as much as possible.

There are a number of places I can get a DL hammock for anywhere from $65 to $100, but I'm hoping to spend about half of that (or less actually) from someone who doesn't need their DL anymore - as was the case for me at one point and wish I hadn't sold it.

If I don't find someone willing to part with one, I may try the tablecloth idea - thx.

barchetta
11-22-2013, 21:20
What length? I have a 9 ft DD Hammocks I'd get rid of for pretty cheap.

barchetta
11-22-2013, 21:21
I DIY'ed one not too long ago. Cost about 23.00 in materials and about two hours of my time. My favorite hammock yet! (I now have 7 hammocks:))

7 hammocks! My kind of guy :-)

barchetta
11-22-2013, 21:24
I'd do $40 shipped with whoopies, continuous loops, and a fixed (83%) or adjustable ridge line.

Tonks
11-24-2013, 11:43
I have tablecloths I can turn into a hammock and a couple of stronger Hennessy. Pm me if interested. I had the same problem with my dogs in the beginning and I can tell you what I did to solve it.
;)
Cheers!