PDA

View Full Version : Canada>Ontario>Valens>EGL Gearing Up for Winter 2013-2014

Chard
11-20-2013, 14:34
https://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/4/5/2/6/silent_lake_provincial_park_march_2013.jpg

Seasons greetings!!!

Temperatures are dropping and the daylight's dwindling. Sounds like a perfect time to fluff up the down quilts and have another Valens Winter Hang.

All are welcome. Drive-to campsites,heated washrooms, showers and plenty of spots to hang a hammock. To top it all off, a roaring campfire and plenty of hot beverages.

The date hasn't been fixed, but I'm going to suggest the weekend of Jan 17-19 for a one or two nighter, followed closely by a proper back-country winter hang a couple of weeks later.

Chard..

Iguana
11-20-2013, 14:37
Awesome! I am in. Dates work for me.

BackPackHiker
11-20-2013, 14:53
I am going to do everything in my power to come to this. I feel like I miss out on so much when I see these threads come and go.

80083r
11-20-2013, 15:05
I'm still enthusiastic about winter hangin' I'm probably going to miss the backcountry trip though. Dates are good for me.

-Toots will definitely pass on winter stuff :)

Bubba
11-20-2013, 15:05
Chard you read my mind. I was going to start a thread but as always you beat me to it. I'd probably be in for one night anyways. Not sure if the dates are good since I don't have my work schedule for January yet. At any rate, I'll do my best to attend.

A little winter scenery to get people in the mood.:)

https://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/6/7/9/8/img-20130216-01898.jpg

76 highboy
11-21-2013, 16:26
Another lurker coming out of the woodwork.I've been wanting to attend an EGL hang since I joined hammock forums so I could learn more about "hanging". (spent 35 yrs in a tent.duh!) but every time a hang was being held I was working. **** shiftwork. Been out out on a few trips in my wbbb,time to try something colder. I'll be at valens with boots on! And yeah I dont like to pay to camp anywhere,but I'm going to make an exception this time.lol

Jayson
11-21-2013, 16:41
Hey Chard. Count me in for one maybe 2. Unfortunately my daughter is with her mom that weekend, she is keen to try out some cold weather hanging. I will throw some wood in the trunk of the car.

Lofty
11-21-2013, 18:16
I would LOVE to join .....

.....but I'm already booked at 2 gigs on the 18th :mad:

hopefully I'll be able to make it to one of the hangs

keg
11-21-2013, 18:22
It's been put in my calendar.

Cedar328
11-22-2013, 07:51
Hi All,

2013 has been a crazy year for me and it has weighed heavily that I have not been able to get out with my EGL friends. This is perfect timing and I have no scheduling conflicts :D so count me in!!!

Cheers

Cedar

Chard
11-22-2013, 09:46
I like the enthusiasm! I'm looking forward catching up with you guys.

Just a thought... Valens is a great venue because of it's fairly central location, easy access and above all, it's heated washrooms, but last year, I had the chance to winter camp at Silent Lake Provincial Park near Bancroft with Quiet, and had a great time. It's a little further for some/closer for others but it's more remote without being deep "in the bush". I don't think we were much more than a 20-30 minute walk from our vehicle. The Park even has yurts for the more sensible winter campers who choose not to brave the elements armed with only nylon, feathers and whoopie slings. Ice-fishing's an option as well.

I'm still good with Valens, I just wanted to float the idea of another venue. Dates remain unchanged.

I found this random youtube video that looks like it just might be in the bay we camped beside..

ATdQNlITezE

Cheers,

Bubba
11-22-2013, 10:10
As much as I'd love to go to Silent Lake, I'd only be going for one night and it would be an extra 3 hours drive for me:(. Valens is more convenient for me to zip away for the night and return home early the next morning. If it ends up any further than Valens, then I probably can't go. Whatever the majority of people decide on is cool.

80083r
11-22-2013, 12:26
Silent lake is better for me (Toots and I went car-camping there this summer) it's closer, and there's trout in that lake... of course, I'm not sure about the season.

Either place is fine for me. I'll be setting up in the dark on Friday either way.

Chenvre
11-24-2013, 12:23
Hey all!

Sounds like a great prep trip! Thinking about it now, probably pass on Valens. It's a bit too much driving for a 1-2 night car camping trip, since I'll be driving back from Michigan visiting family for the holidays shortly before.

Silent Lake would be a possibility, but I understand it's not exactly following the credo of these types of trips, which usually consists of an easy access location to test out winter gear, and the option of bailing in emergencies to heated facilities or the car.

Either way I'll keep an eye on this thread in case my mind changes. Hope there's a good turnout!

ggreaves
11-24-2013, 12:54
Valens... Silent Lake... doesn't matter. I'm in. Putting it on the calendar now.

Crash
11-24-2013, 17:29
I'm tempted to get up there again. Great people and a great place to hang.

80083r
11-25-2013, 09:42
Well, I hung in my in-laws woods on Saturday night. I woke up in -12C, still moderately warm.

I'm using a 20 degree sleeping bag and poncho liner layered together as an underquilt, and I added a layer of reflectix between for this hang. I have a -20 degree sleeping bag as top quilt, and I added a flannel sheet as a top cover (over the ridgeline, tucked around in between hammock and underquilt).

I woke up with the flannel sheet wet and frosty, otherwise good. However, as soon as I stepped out of the hammock for my morning visit, I realised that the REST of my gear (ie: shoes) are not up to the task.

So, unless I magically aquire a pair of boots between now and then (and I might) I'm probably not going to make it to the winter hang this year.

ggreaves
11-25-2013, 13:54
Well, I hung in my in-laws woods on Saturday night. I woke up in -12C, still moderately warm.

I'm using a 20 degree sleeping bag and poncho liner layered together as an underquilt, and I added a layer of reflectix between for this hang. I have a -20 degree sleeping bag as top quilt, and I added a flannel sheet as a top cover (over the ridgeline, tucked around in between hammock and underquilt).

I woke up with the flannel sheet wet and frosty, otherwise good. However, as soon as I stepped out of the hammock for my morning visit, I realised that the REST of my gear (ie: shoes) are not up to the task.

So, unless I magically aquire a pair of boots between now and then (and I might) I'm probably not going to make it to the winter hang this year.

Have a look in Value Village, or, as my wife calls it "Chez VV". They usually have snowmobile boots there at a reasonable price. With felt liners, you can take 'em out and keep them warm in the bag wth you.

Chard
11-25-2013, 15:12
Silent Lake would be a possibility, but I understand it's not exactly following the credo of these types of trips, which usually consists of an easy access location to test out winter gear, and the option of bailing in emergencies to heated facilities or the car.

You're right of course; the "Gearing Up" should really be about a "controlled" testing of our cold weather gear. Silent lake might be pushing the bounds a little too far. 30 minutes walk at 3am at -30c could be rather unpleasant.

Glad to hear you're trying things out first. Condensation's a major problem as the temperatures dip. I've woken up in the morning and found my mosquito netting frosted over and the collar of my down top quilt damp, if not downright wet, with condensation. Luckily it was my last night and I was able to dry things out at home. A bib of some kind was very useful and helped me avoid a repeat during my next outing. Also, to avoid frost dropping onto your topquilt you might want to consider letting your flannel sheet drape loosely on the outside of your hammock/quilts. I've seen Quiet use his canvas "envelope" to good effect.

Boots... Yeah, try your local thrift store. Hope to see you out there.

Jayson
11-25-2013, 15:32

What size are your feet?

80083r
11-25-2013, 15:36
Boot size is anywhere from 9 1/2 to 10 1/2 depending on brand. I've got small feet for my size :)

Jayson
11-25-2013, 15:39
Will keep my eyes open.

keg
11-25-2013, 19:30
I'd prefer Valens, more because I could find the site when arriving after dark then bail out options.

(my new taiga works down pants are waiting at the post office to be picked up)

Crash
11-25-2013, 21:47
heated bathroom with showers
really close to the campsite
trees made for hanging
and I can find it................

Chard
11-25-2013, 21:53
Valens it is...

76 highboy
11-25-2013, 22:45
Yup,valens sounds good.Wouldnt want to be at silent lake cryin for my mommy if i didnt have enough insulation.Might actually try to get an overnighter in at valens before christmas to test out my set-up.If i get cold,i'll have enough time to whip up some kind of canvas sock before the EGL hang.I think valens is open for ice fishing every other year so there's a chance of fresh bluegills,crappie or pike in the pan. yummy.

BrianWillan
11-27-2013, 19:44
Yup,valens sounds good.Wouldnt want to be at silent lake cryin for my mommy if i didnt have enough insulation.Might actually try to get an overnighter in at valens before christmas to test out my set-up.If i get cold,i'll have enough time to whip up some kind of canvas sock before the EGL hang.I think valens is open for ice fishing every other year so there's a chance of fresh bluegills,crappie or pike in the pan. yummy.

Unless things have changed recently, Valens Conservation area is closed for the month of December. Best to call and confirm that.

One other thought would be to consider Silent Lake for the back country winter camping trip. For some, ice fishing is an activity that is not available in Algonquin, but is permitted at Silent Lake. Granted Silent Lake isn't exactly back country, but having to walk to your site some distance is enough for some. Ie Just be away from the cars a bit more than a 30 second walk from your hammock. One also has to figure in overall fitness level with back country camping. Having to break trail in fresh snow is taxing even for the fittest of people.

Cheers

Brian

Hotone
11-28-2013, 21:16
Wish I could go but I am already camping with hottwo and his cub pack that weekend in Oshawa. I was planning on bringing my hammock gear to sleep outside with the scouts. Otherwise I would head out for sure.

Bubba
11-30-2013, 00:03
I'm over my first hurdle. Got my work schedule and I am not working on the 18th. If everything is OK on the home front with the wife and kids I think I can come out for Saturday night if it's at Valens.

Chard
12-02-2013, 11:41
Hi all,

For those who are able to make it out, that's great news!! For those who can't make it, that's a drag but hopefully we'll be able to see you at a future hang. Spring canoeing's only a few cold months away! Snowshoeing's even sooner.

If there are any lurkers out there thinking about coming to Valens, please chime in. I'd like to know how many sites we need to reserve.

80083r
12-02-2013, 11:56
I have a new underquilt and top quilt on the way - and the wife is already primed for me to be gone. I'll be there for sure!

Jodster
12-09-2013, 09:10
I am a strong maybe. Too close to home for me to not at least try to get there.....providing there is no travel for work.

jimmay
12-09-2013, 16:20
Okay I'm in barring weather or work commitments.

80083r
12-09-2013, 16:29
Isn't weather the whole reason for going? :)

[o]TTeR
12-10-2013, 10:08
With any luck, there will be enough snow for a hike on the shoes? Even if there isn't, I'd like to join you on 134??

Chard
12-10-2013, 12:35
Okay I'm in barring weather or work commitments.

Agreed!! If the weather forecast's nice, there's no way I'm going!

Just kidding, see all you guys there! Be nice to sit around a big fire or go tromping through the back fields again. Snowshoeing does sound like fun, let's hope we get enough snow.

[o]TTer, if 134's our customary spot, then we'll be there.

jimmay
12-10-2013, 13:38
Isn't weather the whole reason for going? :)

Cold is fine but it can be a long nasty drive from Kingston and back. :)

80083r
12-10-2013, 15:07

We could car pool, seeing as I'm in Belleville :)

76 highboy
12-10-2013, 17:15
I have a new underquilt and top quilt on the way - and the wife is already primed for me to be gone. I'll be there for sure!

Re: the wife. Funny how that works.I tell my wife im going fishing for two days and she says ,cant you go for three?.Snoring has its up side,I get to go out more often! Valens have any issues with bringing in a couple of boxes of cut up hardwood skids to burn? I dont recall any park/conservation area ever giving away decent wood to burn. Barring major sickness,dismemberment,or death Im still in. Ted

Chard
12-10-2013, 18:46

Yup! Last year I crawled back from Valens along the 401 at a whiteknuckled 5-25kmh in the middle of a brutal snow squall. The roads were hell and I can't imagine wanting to go far on them. Safety first.

Re: the wife. Funny how that works.I tell my wife im going fishing for two days and she says ,cant you go for three?.Snoring has its up side,I get to go out more often! Valens have any issues with bringing in a couple of boxes of cut up hardwood skids to burn? I dont recall any park/conservation area ever giving away decent wood to burn. Barring major sickness,dismemberment,or death Im still in. Ted

We've sourced firewood from outside Valens on a couple of occasions. I don't think it'll be a problem. Extra wood would be appreciated.

Jayson
12-10-2013, 20:17
I will be bringing some wood as well. Hard maple, Cherry and Ash is what I have on hand.

80083r
12-11-2013, 08:21
I'm in an ash borer restricted zone, so I won't be bringing any wood :( I can bring some fish chowder minus the fish though...

catch fish = spicy fish chowder!

Jayson
12-11-2013, 09:47
"Luckily" I am in the same zone as Valens so no worries.

Crash
12-11-2013, 10:02
I'm thinking about going up to Ontario a day or two early, maybe do some sightseeing. Toronto is an hour away.

I was looking at the reservation system but it says nothing is available in that time period. Is there something I'm missing on their website?:confused:

[o]TTeR
12-11-2013, 10:10
I'm thinking about going up to Ontario a day or two early, maybe do some sightseeing. Toronto is an hour away.

I was looking at the reservation system but it says nothing is available in that time period. Is there something I'm missing on their website?:confused:

Hey Crash, looking forward to hanging with you again my friend. Valen's doesn't use the reservation system for the Winter season because the Gate house and park staff are on part-time coverage. People can come in before the gate house is open and take any spot that's free, since this is hard to regulate they go with "First come, first serve"

Chard
12-11-2013, 11:54

TTeR;1151354']Hey Crash, looking forward to hanging with you again my friend. Valen's doesn't use the reservation system for the Winter season because the Gate house and park staff are on part-time coverage. People can come in before the gate house is open and take any spot that's free, since this is hard to regulate they go with "First come, first serve"

Ditto. While [o]TTer was posting, I just had a good conversation with the Park Superintendent and he basically confirmed everyhting [o]TTer just said. In addition, because of the possibility of on-site self-registration (via a machine that takes credit card, coins or bills) there's no formal way of formally reserving campsites in the winter season, but they'll do what they can to hold 134 and the adjecent sites open for us. Having someone show up early to stake a claim on a site would help as well.

We'll post a map of Valens to help direct early comers find their way.

Note to all: I don't think we should wait until the Valen's Hang to kick off the planning for our Winter Backcountry Hang (https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?p=1151424#post1151424), so you can you can find it here (https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?p=1151424#post1151424).

Cheers,

Crash
12-13-2013, 18:32
I'm going to NEHHA and then to EGL Valens. I may drive from Massachusetts without going back to NJ. That's if the home boss allows it. A couple of campout nights along the way will make it interesting. The choice of camping in NY Adirondaks then heading up to Ontario via the Thousand Islands or the NY Thruway to Niagara. Decisions, decisions...
Good thing Valens has showers and a laundry!

ggreaves
12-13-2013, 23:08
Anybody want to go to NEHHA? Kingston's 5 1/2 hours from Chesterfield so if you could get here, I could get you the rest of the way. It would be a "Gearing Up" for the "Gearing Up for Winter" hang at Valens the next week. I just looked at the spreadsheet and it looks like they have 57 potentials so far with 40 confirmed. I was thinking about leaving Friday morning and coming back Sunday.

quiet
12-15-2013, 13:40
Barring a zombie apocalypse, I'm in for Valens.

q

Jayson
12-21-2013, 20:52
Well guys. Just had something come up and I wont be making it out. If someone wants to swing by they can pick up a load of fire wood tho.

ggreaves
12-21-2013, 21:38
Well guys. Just had something come up and I wont be making it out. If someone wants to swing by they can pick up a load of fire wood tho.

That's too bad, Jayson.

Chard
12-22-2013, 01:20

Hey Jayson, that's too bad. You and Tracey will be missed. Hopefully you'll be able to make the winter hang.

Ryvr
01-02-2014, 07:22
Hey

Its been a while since i lurked through these forums. Myself and the family will likely come out for the day, but I have decided I can do cold weather camping but I dont like it very much. Will let ya know as we get closer, if for some reason I dont make it out have a good one and we will see you for sure in the warmer months of the year.

Ryvr

ggreaves
01-02-2014, 10:57
During the last campfire at the EGL fall hang, there was a discussion about Quiet's toboggan, how it was made etc. From there, a number of people were talking about getting some HDPE or UHMWPE sheets and making one as well. Did anything ever come of that? Does anyone have some spare HDPE they'd be willing to sell?

Chard
01-02-2014, 11:41
Hey

Its been a while since i lurked through these forums. Myself and the family will likely come out for the day, but I have decided I can do cold weather camping but I dont like it very much. Will let ya know as we get closer, if for some reason I dont make it out have a good one and we will see you for sure in the warmer months of the year.

Ryvr

Hiya Ryvr! Hopefully you guys can come out and join us for some snowballs, hot chocolate and maybe even a little bbq, even if it's just for a few hours.

I have to agree with you, the one drawback with cold weather camping is the dang cold. But as you know, with the right gear it's certainly manageable, even enjoyable, and keeping active means keeping warm. That or a roaring fire. I do admit that it's when I have to get up in the middle of a particuarly cold night to err... you know..., when my feet slip into ice cold boots, that's when I question my sanity the most. But my down cocoon makes for a pretty strong counter-argument.

Lofty
01-02-2014, 12:21
How early were you planning on getting there Friday ?

Looking at my schedule - I might be able to make it for Friday night :D - I'd just have to leave by 10:00 Saturday to get to my gigs Saturday afternoon .

Chard
01-02-2014, 13:20
I was aiming for Friday evening after work; get into Valen's around 7-8 pm.

That being said, I have to burn up some 2013 vacation days so there's an off chance I might be able to get in earlier.

Also if anyone driving from downtown Toronto wants to carpool that would be great.

Lofty
01-02-2014, 22:20
So who's gonna be there Friday afternoon?

Either way - I'm hoping to get there around 12:00 to setup and explore.

So put me on for one night :D

Iguana
01-02-2014, 22:49
I plan to arrive around noon on Friday.

76 highboy
01-02-2014, 23:07
So who's gonna be there Friday afternoon?

Either way - I'm hoping to get there around 12:00 to setup and explore.

So put me on for one night :D

I plan on arriving about 11:00 or 12:00 as well. Is there a particular area or site # we should lay claim to? Regarding food,is it every man for himself or will there be a planned group pig out of some type? Ive noticed you guys have had some tasty meals while hanging. Stews,chowder,goulash.Nice! I'll contribute to whatever is on the menu. Ted

ggreaves
01-02-2014, 23:20
I should be there early afternoon on Friday

jefftrex
01-03-2014, 11:58
i should be able to make it to valens again for a test hang. i am tiing to descide if i want to keep my black bird or get a bridge hammock. and i would like to test out my underquilts and top quilt in winter. before the Bunch of frozen lunatics event in feb.

http://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC4W46J_bunch-of-frozen-lunatics-ii-mew-adventures

jan 17th/18th is good for me.

Chard
01-04-2014, 16:49
I plan on arriving about 11:00 or 12:00 as well. Is there a particular area or site # we should lay claim to? Regarding food,is it every man for himself or will there be a planned group pig out of some type? Ive noticed you guys have had some tasty meals while hanging. Stews,chowder,goulash.Nice! I'll contribute to whatever is on the menu. Ted

We're aiming for site 134 adjacent to the heated washrooms. I've been in touch with the park superintendent and he knows we're coming in. Just say you're with the hammocking gang and you should be alright.

As far as food goes, Valens has always been more of a bring your own, but sometimes someone brings something to share; potato salad, cake, pie whatever. The only danger is that everyone brings a side and there's too much. We've also had fun doing some camp baking as well. A little junk food never hurts. You need to keep those calories up. That's my excuse anyway.

Bubba
01-09-2014, 07:11
Giving the thread the little bump. Getting closer! Looking forward to getting out!

Roll call
Chard
Iguana
80083r
Bubba
76 highboy
keg
Cedar328
ggreaves
jimmay
[o]TTeR
Crash
quiet
Lofty
jefftrex

Lofty
01-10-2014, 09:15
Liam will be there as well :D

Initial weather forecast looks nice - won't be breaking and cold temperature records - but should make for a nice hang

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/10/y4e4edar.jpg

OutandBack
01-10-2014, 11:19
subscribing because I don't want to miss the trip report.
Wishing you all good weather and warm fires...

Ozz
01-10-2014, 15:23
Hi all - (don't post often and usually join in under Jayson +1) but I had a great time last year and was thinking of joining in this year again. However I'm no longer a tree dweller and have rekindled my love of sleeping on branches, sharp ice and other items on the ground. You hammockers mind anyone using a tent?

Chard
01-10-2014, 15:54
Hi all - (don't post often and usually join in under Jayson +1) but I had a great time last year and was thinking of joining in this year again. However I'm no longer a tree dweller and have rekindled my love of sleeping on branches, sharp ice and other items on the ground. You hammockers mind anyone using a tent?

Well, err,, after having put it to the executive, I think we can allow one or two ground-dwellers in our midst. What has my curosity piqued is the reason you've returned to the cold, hard ground.

Incidentially, mankind's greatest greatest evolutionary advancements arguably came after we left the trees.. so maybe you're on to something... Na..

Mick
01-13-2014, 11:44
I thought I would give a head's up to anyone planning to go to the hang at Valen's. It has been closed for a few weeks due to the ice storm in December. There is still no electricity for the washroom. I talked to the front gate and they hope to have the power up this week. It might be a good idea to phone later in the week to see if they are allowing camping yet.

Mick

bodhran4me
01-13-2014, 12:03
I thought I would give a head's up to anyone planning to go to the hang at Valen's. It has been closed for a few weeks due to the ice storm in December. There is still no electricity for the washroom. I talked to the front gate and they hope to have the power up this week. It might be a good idea to phone later in the week to see if they are allowing camping yet.

Mick

I know HOYH and all that but it strikes me as funny to close a campground because there isn't any electricity. I know staff needs a warm place, pipes freeze etc. but still kinda funny.
Hope all goes well and you don't get cancelled. I wish I were going, electricity or no.

Chard
01-13-2014, 15:07
Just dropped the Superintendent an email. We'll see what happens.

jimmay
01-14-2014, 06:57
Sorry guys I have to back out. My girlfriend's father is elderly and very sick and he may not make it. He is in Alberta and so I will need to stay close to home to look after her house and pet if the worst occurs.

Chard
01-14-2014, 09:12
Hey Jimmay,

Sorry to hear about that and hopefully your girlfriend's dad gets better. We'll meet up on another hang soon. Family first.

ggreaves
01-14-2014, 10:05
Just dropped the Superintendent an email. We'll see what happens.

Is there another place in the vicinity we could use as a backup?

Lofty
01-14-2014, 22:11
What about rattlesnake? I've never been but they have winter camping group sites. But are there trees?

Hopefully Valens works out and we can hang there.

What else are our options? Algonquin ? :)

80083r
01-15-2014, 08:29
I'd be good with Algonquin - staying close to the road. There are heated washrooms withing a short drive...

(and it's a shorter trip for me :) )

ggreaves
01-15-2014, 09:54
anyplace is fine with me. The website does say that rattlesnake camping is still closed (last updated on the 10th)

Chard
01-15-2014, 11:39
Hi gang.

As of 11am this morning, I'm still waiting on a definitive yea or nay from Valens for this weekend.

Alternate venues: If we go too far afield, like Algonquin for example, we might lose some hangers: both due to the extra driving distance and more importantly because the "bail-out" option is limited at best for those testing their winter gear.

Suggestions?

Noon update: Valens are working hard to clean up hazard trees.. Should find out more today.... I've offered to lend a hand with any minor site cleanup. Good way to keep warm.

Bubba
01-15-2014, 13:54
anyplace is fine with me. The website does say that rattlesnake camping is still closed (last updated on the 10th)

The Halton Region site (http://conservationhalton.ca/camping) doesn't seem to mention that it's closed and the online reservations say there are sites available. I can't remember the site we were on last time. Tried calling just now but there was no answer.

ggreaves
01-15-2014, 14:05
The Halton Region site (http://conservationhalton.ca/camping) doesn't seem to mention that it's closed and the online reservations say there are sites available. I can't remember the site we were on last time. Tried calling just now but there was no answer.

I got the info here:

http://conservationhalton.ca/announcements/glen-eden-now-open-all-other-conservation-halton-parks-remai

Under the heading "Available Activities", I found the following:

Rattlesnake Point: cross-country skiing (trails are not groomed), hiking; all trails are open except the Buffalo Crag Trail. Climbing areas and campsites remain closed.

I hope Crash is reading this thread. He's coming up all the way from Jersey. Hopefully we'll get it sorted out with a nearby place to hang.

Lofty
01-15-2014, 14:10
:(

hopefully we hear back from Valens and its a go!
If not soon, ( as in today ) we should plan an alternative - I know since I'm only going one night I'm leaving early Friday Morning to wherever we decide.

Iguana
01-15-2014, 14:38
My wife will kill me if I tell her I will be staying home this weekend.

I am in for wherever we can hang.

Is no one answering the phones? I am in a meeting until about 3:30. After that I can start calling around to see what is open.

ggreaves
01-15-2014, 14:45
My wife will kill me if I tell her I will be staying home this weekend.

I am in for wherever we can hang.

Is no one answering the phones? I am in a meeting until about 3:30. After that I can start calling around to see what is open.

If we bring our turtle dog stands, can we hang in your backyard? I won't use up all the hot water I promise.

Bubba
01-15-2014, 15:34
I got the info here:

http://conservationhalton.ca/announcements/glen-eden-now-open-all-other-conservation-halton-parks-remai

Under the heading "Available Activities", I found the following:

Rattlesnake Point: cross-country skiing (trails are not groomed), hiking; all trails are open except the Buffalo Crag Trail. Climbing areas and campsites remain closed.

I hope Crash is reading this thread. He's coming up all the way from Jersey. Hopefully we'll get it sorted out with a nearby place to hang.

Yeah, I saw that too but then I thought they would put some kind of notice on the reservation system.

I called the Halton region office and they said they are supposed to get an update soon. I'm guessing they are in the same boat as Valens.

I spoke to someone at Valens yesterday and they said the power had been reconnected but they are waiting for everything to be tested. If the tests were ok they said they could probably open but the water in the washrooms would not be potable. I said that wouldn't be a problem for us.

76 highboy
01-15-2014, 16:44
Lets keep our fingers crossed.I dont mind driving a couple of hours to camp,but i'm one of those testing out some equipment.Also i'm kinda sloppily/heavily packed up for car camping.Willing to repack if needed.I'm sure it'll all workout,problably at the eleventh hour. ted

Bubba
01-15-2014, 18:02
Last year's Spring canoe trip was almost a no go. Sunday there was ice everywhere but come the weekend it was beautiful for us. Maybe we'll have the same last minute luck.

Chard
01-15-2014, 18:14
Unfortunately I haven't heard back from Valens yet. I'll take that to mean that they're too busy cleaning up after thye ice-storm to answer emails. I'm cool with that.

I'll give them a call first thing in the morning and see where we stand. Sounds like we may have some options, although we're definitely in the "last minute" club now.

Depending on where I look, we're likely to get around -10C Saturday night. If we do go further afield, I've got a large tent and thermarests we could set up if anyone needed to "go to ground". It's an option.

Crash
01-16-2014, 08:04
Bad news. My fatherinlaw is in the hospital. Its very serious. Relatives are even flying in from Scotland.

Unless he makes a great improvement today all my plans are on hold.

It pains me to see a man who has been a strong active father reduced to a shell of a man in a month.

I hope to hang out with you all again soon. Keep warm and hang 'em high.

Bubba
01-16-2014, 10:46
Bad news. My fatherinlaw is in the hospital. Its very serious. Relatives are even flying in from Scotland.

Unless he makes a great improvement today all my plans are on hold.

It pains me to see a man who has been a strong active father reduced to a shell of a man in a month.

I hope to hang out with you all again soon. Keep warm and hang 'em high.

Prayers to you and your family. I missed meeting you the last time so hope to do so at another hang.

Chard
01-16-2014, 10:51
Sorry to hear the bad news Crash. Something this aging thing really sucks.

Chard
01-16-2014, 10:56
Valen's is a go!:shades:

Just got off the phone. See you Friday night; site 134. When you get there, mention to the attendant that you're with the Hammocking group.

Iguana
01-16-2014, 10:58
Wooohoooo...... Woo buddy.

80083r
01-16-2014, 11:38
I'll be in early (ish) Saturday - can't get any of Friday off.

ggreaves
01-16-2014, 12:21
See you Friday!

Bubba
01-16-2014, 12:34
Whoo hoo! The last minute go in true EGL fashion!

Chard
01-16-2014, 12:53
Whoo hoo! The last minute go in true EGL fashion!

I think someone up there loves toying with us!

76 highboy
01-16-2014, 15:00
Awesome!! Lets burn some wood!

keg
01-16-2014, 16:05
Sweet. Plan to leave TO around 3 tomorrow. See everyone there.

Lofty
01-16-2014, 16:26
we are planning to get there around 1100 on Friday.

Only staying one night - but 1 is better than none -

see you there!

Bubba
01-16-2014, 16:33
I think someone up there loves toying with us!

More like someone down there.

Cedar328
01-16-2014, 19:39
Hi All,

Glad to hear Valens is a go!

(Just as an FYI Mew lake in Algonquin is open year round and has a similar set up with warm showers/washrooms and drive in sights if we ever need a "safe" back up for our annual gear test)

One of the posts says there may not be pottable water, any conformation on that? I will bring some anyway.

Once again I am planning on a stop at Canadian Equipment Outfitters ( I have to exchange an xmas gift and may find a new toy or two :rolleyes: ) He has shown interest in our hangs in the past and I will let him know where we are. If anyone wants me to pick anything up I am glad to do that.

I am shooting for a 16:00 arrival. Looking forward to seeing all who can attend.

Cheers

Cedar

Chard
01-16-2014, 22:17
Thanks Cedar; great tip on Mew Lake... File that away for next year!

Looking forward seeing everyone.. Drive safely.

Incidentially, is anyone bringing a large grill and/or tripod? I'll be bringing mine, but at roughly 15" x 8", it's too small for a large group.

Extra tarps and ropes are a good idea. Valens can sport quite a breeze running the length of the trees, and a big tarp goes a long way. I'll be bringing a couple for sure.

Bubba
01-16-2014, 22:31
I'm bring a tripod and grill but I'm coming on Saturday morning.

Chard
01-16-2014, 22:35
I'm bring a tripod and grill but I'm coming on Saturday morning.

Excellent!

76 highboy
01-17-2014, 08:05
Thanks Cedar; great tip on Mew Lake... File that away for next year!

Looking forward seeing everyone.. Drive safely.

Incidentially, is anyone bringing a large grill and/or tripod? I'll be bringing mine, but at roughly 15" x 8", it's too small for a large group.

Extra tarps and ropes are a good idea. Valens can sport quite a breeze running the length of the trees, and a big tarp goes a long way. I'll be bringing a couple for sure.
I'll be bringing 2 tarps instead of one then.I also will be bringing a grill. 18" x 12' ish.,and some stainless "sticks" for cooking meat,etc.

Chard
01-17-2014, 08:48
I'll be bringing 2 tarps instead of one then.I also will be bringing a grill. 18" x 12' ish.,and some stainless "sticks" for cooking meat,etc.

Great.

I've got some errands to run after work, so I expect to be rolling in pretty late Friday evening. Won't be the first time I've set up in the dark. Won't be the last. :shades:

80083r
01-18-2014, 08:54
Sorry I couldn't make it- I got turned back by the roads. I started off this morning and about 1/2 hour into the drive there was snow falling on slushy roads. It's about a 3 hour drive for me, so I didn't want to fight the roads that whole distance. Hopefully if you're not too far in for the back country I'll be able to make 2 nights there.

Hope everyone has a great time!

Bubba
01-20-2014, 15:10
Trip report here:
https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=86679