PDA

View Full Version : Lightweight Bivy?

Bradtmorgan
11-24-2013, 12:03
I have a friend who refuses to join the "hanging elite" and wants to remain on the ground. He is taking baby steps and wants to start tarp/bivy backpacking though. I got a tarp for him to use but he needs a lightweight bivy to ensure protection. Anyone got one from their ground dwelling days they want to sell?

His dream would be a used TiGoat one, but beggars can't be choosers right?

Thanks.

Mumbles
11-24-2013, 13:12
Military goretex woodland camo of any interest to him?

Baby JoDa
11-24-2013, 14:35
I have a green one. I'll see if I can find some pictures of it when I used it on one trip.

Baby JoDa
11-24-2013, 14:39

See them in the back.

Baby JoDa
11-24-2013, 14:48

These are the only pics I can find. I used this weekend only and then bought a REI tent.

Bradtmorgan
11-24-2013, 16:40
Sorry I should have specified. He's looking more so for a bivy sac. Just something to prevent moisture from the tarp. He uses a bivy Tarp that's real low to the ground so there isn't room for additional poles and things like that.

Baby JoDa
11-24-2013, 16:44
Ah, I see.

oldpappy
11-24-2013, 17:13
See if he wants to make is own for about $32. Easy to modify the design of the following sock to be a bivy - Posts 15 and 17 of this post:
https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=81609&page=2
I'm sure youtube has something on making a tyvek bivy - just make sure to use the soft tyvek shown in post 15 and not house tyvek.

MotoBoss
11-28-2013, 13:17
Sorry I should have specified. He's looking more so for a bivy sac. Just something to prevent moisture from the tarp. He uses a bivy Tarp that's real low to the ground so there isn't room for additional poles and things like that.

I have a new, never used Black Diamond Winter Bivvy. PM me if interested.

http://images.steepandcheap.com/images/items/medium/BLD/BLD0253.jpg

"The Black Diamond Winter Bivy was designed both as a minimalist bivy sack and a winter sleeping bag cover. Great for keeping down sleeping bags dry in wet coastal climates. Extremely lightweight, this innovative bivy sack is made of a breathable silicone encapsulated polyester ripstop fabric. This fabric allows the Winter Bivy to pack down so small that it can be carried in the pocket of your jacket. Ideal for protection in all conditions, the Winter Bivy can also be carried as an emergency shelter for climbers, hikers, and bikers out on day trips. During the summer months, you can use the Winter Bivy as a lightweight alternative to a sleeping bag. Zippered entry across the shoulders is conveniently positioned for easy access and sitting up."

Kapang!
11-28-2013, 19:38
Borah makes really nice ones for $70. Check it out

http://www.borahgear.com/chestbivy.html

Bradtmorgan
11-29-2013, 22:56
Awesome kapang. He Went with the borah gear. Thanks everyone

Kapang!
11-29-2013, 23:54
Those look really nice. Definitely on my "Want but don't absolutely need" list