PDA

View Full Version : NJ>Mullica River Camp>12-28-13

njredneck
12-14-2013, 20:52
Anyone want to hit the pine barrens for an after Christmas overnight? Thinking of taking the long way to Mullica river camp. Batsto to Quaker Bridge to Mullica river camp.

SilvrSurfr
12-14-2013, 21:11
Anyone want to hit the Pine Barrens for an after Christmas overnight? Thinking of taking the long way to Mullica river camp. Batsto to Quaker Bridge to Mullica river camp.

That sounds like fun. That's like 8.1 to 8.5 miles, right? I haven't done the Batona Trail from Batsto to Quaker Bridge in a long time. I especially like the first mile or two - there are wide open sections of Pine Barrens with very little underbrush - beautiful landscape. After that I tend to get lost, but I think I'm past that now - I know every possible way to get lost on that section!

Might bring one of my three kids - I have enough quality insulation to keep me and one other warm in anything down to 0*, so two kids have to stay home. Unfortunately, my kids usually tend to move in a herd - none of them wants to go camping/hiking unless one other kid is going. So Dad usually goes alone.

njredneck
12-14-2013, 21:17
That sounds like fun. That's like 8.1 to 8.5 miles, right? I haven't done the Batona Trail from Batsto to Quaker Bridge in a long time. I especially like the first mile or two - there are wide open sections of Pine Barrens with very little underbrush - beautiful landscape. After that I tend to get lost, but I think I'm past that now - I know every possible way to get lost on that section!

Might bring one of my three kids - I have enough quality insulation to keep me and one other warm in anything down to 0*, so two kids have to stay home. Unfortunately, my kids usually tend to move in a herd - none of them wants to go camping/hiking unless one other kid is going. So Dad usually goes alone.

My wife is off that weekend so I don't know if I'll have my boys in tow or not.

SilvrSurfr
12-14-2013, 21:32
And anyone that doesn't want to do 8.1 miles can always pick their mileage.

1) Batsto-Mullica - 4 miles (easy-peasy)
2) Atsion-Mullica - 5.5 miles (worth it for the views at Beaver Pond)
3) Batsto-Quaker Bridge-Mullica - 8.1 miles (don't do this section at night, at least not with me!)
4) Batona Camp - Mullica 8.8 miles (Batona Camp to Quaker Bridge is one of the more boring sections in all the Pine Barrens)
5) Buttonwood Hills - Quaker Bridge-Mullica - 11 miles (never tried the Buttonwood Hills-Batsto section)

And if you're really clever and know the back roads, you can do like Ratdog, drive the backroads and end up 1/2 mile from Mullica, have your family sherpa your gear in and out, and you're all set for a lovely evening!

Ratdog
12-14-2013, 22:34
Awesome idea, I'm a maybe. The young'ens likely won't be up for it but the teenagers might be.

Note, that Sherpa Service doesn't come cheap, plenty of babysitting and errand running to pay that back. Still worth it though next time I would add something to the shopping list...

I've started converting a garden cart into a 4 wheeled pulk so I can haul in some wood and other supplies.

Beaver Pond shots, I should get out and paddle it this week, do any clearing needed between Atsion and camp.

http://i1059.photobucket.com/albums/t439/Ratdogman/2013%20Thanksgiving%20Hang/2013-11-13151751.jpg (http://s1059.photobucket.com/user/Ratdogman/media/2013%20Thanksgiving%20Hang/2013-11-13151751.jpg.html)
http://i1059.photobucket.com/albums/t439/Ratdogman/2013%20Thanksgiving%20Hang/2013-11-13152002.jpg (http://s1059.photobucket.com/user/Ratdogman/media/2013%20Thanksgiving%20Hang/2013-11-13152002.jpg.html)

SilvrSurfr
12-14-2013, 22:56
Ratdog, you're on the list of The Usual Suspects.

silentorpheus
12-15-2013, 00:02
You thinking Friday into Saturday, or Saturday into Sunday?

njredneck
12-15-2013, 05:45
You thinking Friday into Saturday, or Saturday into Sunday?

Saturday into Sunday

silentorpheus
12-15-2013, 13:15
Saturday into Sunday

I'm likely in. Let me make sure and clear it with the Mrs before I commit 100% though. Not sure if she has anything planned yet.

SilvrSurfr
12-15-2013, 22:25
I like the idea of slackpacking - we should meet somewhere and schlep all the gear to north of Mullica camp where iafte left his car after Thanksgiving. Then we go hiking!

silentorpheus
12-15-2013, 22:33
I like the idea of slackpacking - we should meet somewhere and schlep all the gear to north of Mullica camp where iafte left his car after Thanksgiving. Then we go hiking!

Hrm. This idea has promise …

Ratdog
12-15-2013, 22:36
We can do that. A drop cache of sorts, however much.

I'm planning to do it for the fire wood if nothing else.

I can offer to meet folks at the Red Lion Diner at 206&70 and drive the stuff in at a given time.

Should anyone want to hike in from Atsion Ranger station, the trail has 2 miles of dirt road before you turn off onto the Mullica River Trail, which is basically a less used dirt road (2.5 miles). The nice part is the trail parallels the river from Beaver Pond in, makes for a nice night hike.

SilvrSurfr
12-17-2013, 01:04
I've been dreaming of scallops, shrimp and filet mignon.

Thinking of bringing my entire cast iron cookset. Anybody ever had Gambas al Ajillo? Umm, good, especially with a good bread to soak up the garlic and olive oil.

Ratdog
12-17-2013, 17:27

Thinking of bringing my entire cast iron cookset. Anybody ever had Gambas al Ajillo? Umm, good, especially with a good bread to soak up the garlic and olive oil.

Had to look that one up and now that I have, I vote YES !!

I'll meet you guys at the Batsto or the Silver Coin Diner at White Horse Pike (30) & 206 or the Red Lion Diner (70&206) and truck it all in to the drop off. Will have a wagon/pulk to haul it all in...you know, if my sherpa team isn't available.

I'm thinking I'll bring some red meat and salmon if it looks any good that day.

njredneck
12-17-2013, 18:08

I vote YES as well.:D I can grab some bacon wrapped filets.

SilvrSurfr
12-17-2013, 18:20
I see a food coma in my future.:sleep:

silentorpheus
12-17-2013, 18:42
I'm going to confirm with the misses tonight. Assuming I am clear to attend, looks like food might be covered. So I'll appoint myself official beverage manager. Any and all requests entertained, and can be placed via PM. ;)

brooklynkayak
12-17-2013, 19:08
OH, OH, OH! Can I go?

Actually, I do have commitments that weekend, but if I can get out of them....?

I could show up at the camp late afternoon on Saturday after my morning work. Probably just hike in from Atsio or Batsto if I can get out of my Saturday night commitment.

SilvrSurfr
12-17-2013, 19:16
OH, OH, OH! Can I go?

Actually, I do have commitments that weekend, but if I can get out of them....?

I could show up at the camp late afternoon on Saturday after my morning work. Probably just hike in from Atsio or Batsto if I can get out of my Saturday night commitment.

We were hoping to lure a few New Yorkers - they're considered a delicacy in the Pine Barrens. Salt, pepper, a little lemon - great fried or grilled!:laugh:

You are welcome to join us! Just let us know so we can add you to a reservation.

Iafte
12-18-2013, 09:13
I'll talk to my wife about this. Not sure I'll be towing the boys, as I need a weekend away without them.

I've got to finish my boys underquilts for the winter hang, this would be a good excuse to test them on me.

silentorpheus
12-18-2013, 09:16
Got the go ahead from the powers that be. I'm in. :thumbup:

brooklynkayak
12-18-2013, 09:40
Just let us know so we can add you to a reservation.

Will do. I won't know for sure until this weekend.
The schedule doesn't allow it at this time, but I will have a better idea this Saturday.

njredneck
12-19-2013, 18:45
I will be without the boys for this trip. Looking forward to a good night in the woods.

SilvrSurfr
12-19-2013, 21:28
Had to look that one up and now that I have, I vote YES !!

I'll meet you guys at the Batsto or the Silver Coin Diner at White Horse Pike (30) & 206 or the Red Lion Diner (70&206) and truck it all in to the drop off. Will have a wagon/pulk to haul it all in...you know, if my sherpa team isn't available.

I'm thinking I'll bring some red meat and salmon if it looks any good that day.

So what works for you? I assume the details will be the same hauling in as hauling out? What's the best way from Silver Coin or Red Lion Diner to Batsto?

I'm gonna bring a 12" cast iron skillet (for the Gambas al Ajillo) and a Dutch Oven for Mussels Marinara.

SilvrSurfr
12-19-2013, 21:33
And if we're slackpacking, I'm also bringing bacon and eggs, or pork roll, egg and cheese, or both.

Ratdog
12-19-2013, 21:46
Slack packing, might as well load it up.

I will drive from meetup spot to drop off cache location both before and after event.
Meetup spot TBD by interested parties.

Meetup spot depends on where you are starting out. My guess is either Batsto or Silver Coin. Depends on if you use AC Expressway and drive thru Hammonton or if you use GSP and hit the WH Pike.

I am good with either.

Red Lion is best if you are coming from North via 206.

I anticipate my 17 & 19 yr old nephews to be there and will have them carry everything.

Ratdog
12-19-2013, 21:52
From Batsto, Nesco Rd to Pleasant Mills Rd to Rt 30, make a right.
Silver Coin is at intersection of Rt 30 & Rt 206.

Red Lion Diner, same as above but make a right on 206, north to circle intersection with Rt 70.

My best guess is my nephews will be in tow and we will drive the backroads to Batsto. Show them some of the old furnaces, rail roads and glass factory remains along the way.

We can lock down the details as the date approaches, but for sure I will drive the stuff in and out and meet you somewhere convenient.

Should anyone want to hike in from the North side via Atsion, I can shuttle you up to the ranger station or Beaver Pond (2.5miles). We will have 2-3 trucks at our disposal if needed.

SilvrSurfr
12-19-2013, 21:53
Guess we need a roll call on who is hiking from Batsto. I'm with njredneck on going Batsto-Batona Trail-Quaker Bridge to Mullica; not sure about silentorpheus or iafte.

njredneck
12-19-2013, 22:05
Would it be easier to meet at Atsion? I come in from the south that being said I'm easy just tell me where and when and I'll be there. I'm easy if it means I don't have to carry my pack.:D

SilvrSurfr
12-19-2013, 22:18
Would it be easier to meet at Atsion? I come in from the south that being said I'm easy just tell me where and when and I'll be there. I'm easy if it means I don't have to carry my pack.:D

We can meet anywhere, but I'd like to do the 8.1 miles njredneck suggested starting at Batsto. I'm sure there are other ways to do eight miles, but don't we need someone to pick up the permits at Batsto? Isn't Atsion closed for the winter?

njredneck
12-19-2013, 22:21
We can meet anywhere, but I'd like to do the 8.1 miles njredneck suggested starting at Batsto. I'm sure there are other ways to do eight miles, but don't we need someone to pick up the permits at Batsto? Isn't Atsion closed for the winter?

I was only suggesting meeting at Atsion to dump gear and then head to Batsto. I'm still walking the route I proposed in the original post.

Ratdog
12-19-2013, 22:21
Yes, someone has to go to Batsto, and that's the better hike imho.
Just offered the Atsion hike as alternative, though the ranger station is closed.

silentorpheus
12-19-2013, 22:29
I am now thoroughly confused. :confused:

First off - when we say slack packing, are we talking leave all our gear, and hike with a daypack? Or are we just suggesting leaving the heavy stuff?

Second, how are we getting said gear? I gather we'll get it to Ratdog … is he going to leave it at the drop off point (the spot where Iafte left his car) and then drive down and hike in with us? Once we get to Mullica, are we going to hike up the road the mile to the drop spot, and port everything back down to camp, then do the same the next day?

Also, and more importantly, can I request any shellfish other than mussels? :D

Someone clearly spell out a plan - my feeble brain can't follow the labyrinthian subtleties tonight. To much time talking to a 2 year old (I'm on daddy daycare tonight while the wife is out).

Ratdog
12-19-2013, 22:35
Main hike, from Batsto to Mullica River (probably the 8 mile route)
Drop Cache/Slack Packing - ratdog will goto Batsto, pickup gear and deliver to drop cache, then short hike it in.

Just to tighten this up a little bit.

I will drive to meet folks (Batsto might be easiest), get as much gear as you care to offload and then truck it in to the drop cache location. (yes, where Iafte parked his car)

Most likely I will short hike it in, pulking some gear with me. IF I have the boys with me, they can carry extra gear as well.

Whatever we can't carry, will require another trip out from camp and back.

When we leave, I will contact my sherpa service to help haul stuff out.

I will then drive all gear down to Batsto to meet you.

SilvrSurfr
12-19-2013, 22:39

First off - when we say slack packing, are we talking leave all our gear, and hike with a daypack? Or are we just suggesting leaving the heavy stuff?

Second, how are we getting said gear? I gather we'll get it to Ratdog … is he going to leave it at the drop off point (the spot where Iafte left his car) and then drive down and hike in with us? Once we get to Mullica, are we going to hike up the road the mile to the drop spot, and port everything back down to camp, then do the same the next day?

Someone clearly spell out a plan - my feeble brain can't follow the labyrinthian subtleties tonight. To much time talking to a 2 year old (I'm on daddy daycare tonight while the wife is out).

1) I was thinking day pack - probably only bringing my Ribz pack with water and snacks. The rest of our stuff would be deposited with Ratdog.
2) Yes, hike the mile up the road to drop spot and do same next day.
3) I suggested the mussels since they're cheap and tasty - we can drop them from the menu if nobody else likes them. If we have a pot with marinara, you could drop fish, clams, shrimp or whatever in there and make a cioppino.

njredneck
12-19-2013, 22:46

I assumed we were hiking with daypacks.

The route that I suggested will bring us in on the north end of camp. Therefore we could collect the gear on the way into camp.

SilvrSurfr
12-19-2013, 23:03
I assumed we were hiking with daypacks.

The route that I suggested will bring us in on the north end of camp. Therefore we could collect the gear on the way into camp.

Daypacks it is. I talked with Ratdog and he will meet us at Batsto and grab our gear. Astute observation on your part, njredneck; we will walk right by the vehicle dropoff point on the way in. Same for going out, if we take the same way.

njredneck
12-19-2013, 23:04
Main hike, from Batsto to Mullica River (probably the 8 mile route)
Drop Cache/Slack Packing - ratdog will goto Batsto, pickup gear and deliver to drop cache, then short hike it in.

Just to tighten this up a little bit.

I will drive to meet folks (Batsto might be easiest), get as much gear as you care to offload and then truck it in to the drop cache location. (yes, where Iafte parked his car)

Most likely I will short hike it in, pulking some gear with me. IF I have the boys with me, they can carry extra gear as well.

Whatever we can't carry, will require another trip out from camp and back.

When we leave, I will contact my sherpa service to help haul stuff out.

I will then drive all gear down to Batsto to meet you.

Looks like we have a plan. Just need to set a time to meet at Batsto. I prefer a midday start but will go with the group concensus.

Ratdog
12-19-2013, 23:05
I'll be there when you guys tell me to.

SilvrSurfr
12-19-2013, 23:09
I'm down with a midday start - high noon at Batsto!

njredneck
12-20-2013, 17:34
I'm down with a midday start - high noon at Batsto!

High noon works for me

brooklynkayak
12-20-2013, 17:45
I can tentatively be there at noon, but if not, I'll hike in later.
If it's warm enough that the Mullica isn't frozen, maybe I could paddle in a bunch of supplies in the sea kayak?

kayak karl
12-20-2013, 18:15
Bass River to Mulica Camp - 25 miles. :)

brooklynkayak
12-20-2013, 18:21
Bass River to Mulica Camp - 25 miles. :)

But isn't launching near Atsion or Batsto and option? I've never paddled there, just hiked.

kayak karl
12-20-2013, 18:31
But isn't launching near Atsion or Batsto and option? I've never paddled there, just hiked.
Batona trail starts at Bass River State forest. Just get off the Batona at Batsto and follow trail to camp.

njredneck
12-20-2013, 20:30

I'm pretty sure you can drop in near Atsion.

SilvrSurfr
12-20-2013, 21:51
Itenerory, Itonerery, Itinerary:

1. 12 noon 12/28 - Meet at Batsto; offload gear to Ratdog; obtain permits; hike.
2. Assuming 2.5 mph, arrive Mullica gear stash approx. 3 pm.
3. 3:30-4:00 pm - Arrive Mullica and setup camp.
4. 4:30-5:00 pm - Cook
5. 5:00 pm - until - Food coma.

SilvrSurfr
12-21-2013, 23:55
On the way back, we can take the Batsto Lake shortcut - very scenic. Lots of cedar swamps.

silentorpheus
12-22-2013, 00:55
So who else do we have coming?

At this point are brooklynkayak and Iafte still maybes?

Oh, and what's the menu looking like at this stage?

I only ask because I'm starting to think about liquid refreshment. :D

brooklynkayak
12-22-2013, 05:57
I am in.
I do have to work Saturday morning. Last Saturday of the year stuff:-(
I usually start at 5:00AM, finish around 10:00 or 11:00AM, but I've got a long drive and so can't make the noon meet up.

I can meet at the camp mid afternoon.

What should I bring? I have a smallish pack, enough for everything I need, but nothing bulky.
I was planning on bringing a good quantity of emergency ethel alcohol to sterilize wounds with, in case of an emergency.
I could bring something dense(frozen shrimp. meat, cheese, ...), for the pot?

njredneck
12-22-2013, 06:49
Oh, and what's the menu looking like at this stage?

I only ask because I'm starting to think about liquid refreshment. :D

I'm going to grab some bacon wrapped filets just need to know how many people.

By my count we have 5-8 people

silentorpheus
12-22-2013, 09:33
Yes:

NJRedneck
SilvrSurfr
Silentorpheus
Ratdog
Brooklynkayak

Maybe:

Iafte
Deadphans?

Ratdog, you said something about nephews? Are they coming to hang, or just coming to help you carry stuff? :D

brooklynkayak
12-22-2013, 09:44
Oh, and what should I do about registering?
Is someone registering and paying for the group?
I could register online, register when I get there or give money to whom ever registers the group.

I can also help with money if someone wants to go in on food/supplies?

P.S. I'll probably have to hang a ways from the group. I can really snore if I'm in the mood:-)

njredneck
12-22-2013, 11:49
Oh, and what should I do about registering?
Is someone registering and paying for the group?
I could register online, register when I get there or give money to whom ever registers the group.

I can also help with money if someone wants to go in on food/supplies?

P.S. I'll probably have to hang a ways from the group. I can really snore if I'm in the mood:-)

I will take care of registering at Batsto. We should be able to just walk in and save the reservation charge. I have heard a nasty rumor that they are going to start charging reservation fees for walk ins as well.

We will settle up in camp for any fees.

I'll cover the cost of the steaks that I bring.

I would not worry about the snoring everyone will be in a food coma and be oblivious to any noise coming from your hammock.

silentorpheus
12-22-2013, 12:22
What site are we thinking?

I liked the partial seclusion of 8. But site 4 is great too, and site 2 is close to both water and latrines.

Whichever way we go is fine. If we get site 8 again, we can let brooklynkayak set up back in the clearing where the tent was last time :D

njredneck
12-22-2013, 12:31
I liked 8 also

silentorpheus
12-22-2013, 13:35
So the snow will be all gone, thanks to this freak weekend of 60-70˚ weather. But long range on both weather.com and NOAA it's looking like 40˚ or so during the day, lows in the mid 20's.

I can deal with that.

Ratdog
12-22-2013, 18:49
2 nephews are 50/50 at this point, so don't plan for them.

Someone, not me, planned a family gathering on Saturday that is creating some issues. I may be solo.

SilvrSurfr
12-23-2013, 00:50
If Deadphans shows up, I'll have a heart attack. Nobody has ever seen Deadphans - I think he's a bot.:lol:

silentorpheus
12-23-2013, 00:58
If Deadphans shows up, I'll have a heart attack. Nobody has ever seen Deadphans - I think he's a bot.:lol:

I put him on there for good measure - kind of like leaving an empty seat at passover for the prophet Elijah. ;-)

JollyGreen
12-23-2013, 06:45

I sold him something once, does that count?

njredneck
12-23-2013, 14:48
Anyone opposed to scratch made sausage gravy over hashbrowns Sunday morning

silentorpheus
12-23-2013, 15:46
Anyone opposed to scratch made sausage gravy over hashbrowns Sunday morning

:thumbup::thumbup:

So, with that in mind, what's the menu looking like at this point?

Figure we should has out what we have planned, what we need, etc.

njredneck
12-23-2013, 15:49
I picked up the bacon wrapped filets and the makings of the sausage gravy today. I also have plenty of onions so could throw a couple in the bag also.

SilvrSurfr
12-23-2013, 16:00
I'm bringing gambas al ajillo fixings and fresh-baked bread for dinner, bacon and eggs for breakfast. I wouldn't mind a veggie for dinner. I could bring stuff for a jambot-like dish - zucchini, yellow squash, onions, garlic and tomatoes. Simmer for 20 minutes and it's ready.

silentorpheus
12-23-2013, 16:16
Alrighty then.

I'm thinking something Belgian to start, something red and spanish for the main course, something sweet made from honey for dessert, and something either from Kentucky or Scotland for all times in between and after. :D

brooklynkayak
12-23-2013, 16:35
Since I am showing up late and will have a smallish pack, maybe I should just contribute some $ and maybe some strong liquid?

brooklynkayak
12-23-2013, 16:39
I could also bring theshrimp for the gambas al ajillo, since it packs fairly small.

SilvrSurfr
12-23-2013, 21:04
KYBob might join us - had a brief discussion with him and he was interested but he was in a hurry to get to a poetry reading or some such crap.

Brooklynkayak - bring some shrimp if you want - sounds like you don't want to be a freeloader, but I don't think anyone is worrying about the expense. I'm thinking 1/3 lb. of shrimp per person, or 8 to 10 shrimp each. Maybe you bring a pound and I bring a pound?

SilvrSurfr
12-23-2013, 23:28
Menu:

1) Appetizer - Gambas al Ajillo with fresh baked bread. If anyone has an outstanding baker or seafood source, holla. Otherwise, I'm gonna go to my local baker and get the best bread possible; same with the shrimp.
SilentOrpheus is bringing something Belgian, and I'm still looking for a fino to accompany this dish.
2) Main course - njredneck is bringing beef filets wrapped in bacon. SilentOrpheus to bring something red and spanish (maybe a rioja?) to accompany.
3) Veggie - I'm bringing jambot - zucchini, yellow squash, onions, garlic and tomatoes in olive oil.
4) Dessert - I'm not a dessert person. I prefer cheese as a dessert. Anyone want to bring a cheese selection for dessert? Would go nice with a good port.
5) Breakfast - njredneck brings sausage gravy and hashbrowns; i'm bringing bacon and eggs, pork roll, cheese and rolls.

Ratdog
12-24-2013, 11:23
Good grief, I miss a couple days and yowza...some serious chow time.
My thought was to bring some salmon and red meat of some sort.

Was going to cook the salmon in parchment bags wrapped in foil, maybe some lemons and herbs.

Can adjust as necessary.

I will bring some firewood as well, some local and maybe a bundle of the kiln dried.

brooklynkayak
12-24-2013, 11:59
SilvrSurfr, Since it sounds like your going to pickup a bunch of supplies and have a way to get them near the campsite, what if I skip bringing any food and I'll just put in some money when I get there.

Unless you think it would help if I do pack in a couple pounds of shrimp?
You may have a better source than me, or maybe not. I suspect I'd have to get frozen shrimp. You may want fresh?

SilvrSurfr
12-24-2013, 13:01
SilvrSurfr, Since it sounds like your going to pickup a bunch of supplies and have a way to get them near the campsite, what if I skip bringing any food and I'll just put in some money when I get there.

Unless you think it would help if I do pack in a couple pounds of shrimp?
You may have a better source than me, or maybe not. I suspect I'd have to get frozen shrimp. You may want fresh?

Doesn't matter - I can bring the shrimp.

SilvrSurfr
12-24-2013, 13:02
Talked to Jolly Green; he's a maybe - he should know Friday.

silentorpheus
12-24-2013, 14:40
SS - No worries, I got your Fino taken care of (not today, but before we get out there). So no need for you to go searching.

SilvrSurfr
12-24-2013, 22:27
We're gonna have to take photos of everyone posing with Deadphans - I'm gonna pose with a pic of me with my arm around him.

We should take lots of pics, always with our arms around Deadphans. Deadphans at the campfire; what Deadphan's kit looks like; Deadphans hiking with us. It'll be so much fun hiking and hanging with Deadphans!

Just think if the myth actually meets up with the actual Deadphans! What if he actually shows up for a group hang? That would be amazing.

JollyGreen
12-24-2013, 22:32
We're gonna have to take photos of everyone posing with Deadphans - I'm gonna pose with a pic of me with my arm around him.

We should take lots of pics, always with our arms around Deadphans. Deadphans at the campfire; what Deadphan's kit looks like; Deadphans hiking with us. It'll be so much fun hiking and hanging with Deadphans!

Just think if the myth actually meets up with the actual Deadphans! What if he actually shows up for a group hang? That would be amazing.

Now that's funny I don't care who you are!

SilvrSurfr
12-24-2013, 22:40
Sorry for busting your chops, Deadphans, but many of us are convinced you are a chimera - a figment of our imagination. Since nobody has seen you, we are fairly well convinced that you don't exist!

brooklynkayak
12-25-2013, 05:54
I have a friend who wants to go, if that is OK. He would be ground camping.
I haven't converted him yet:-)

Like me, he can bring $ to offset any expenses and/or bring something?

njredneck
12-25-2013, 07:41
I have a friend who wants to go, if that is OK. He would be ground camping.
I haven't converted him yet:-)

Like me, he can bring $ to offset any expenses and/or bring something?

All are welcome

brooklynkayak
12-25-2013, 07:57
OK, so my friend Minh and I will arrive at Batsto around 1:00 or 2:00 PM and will hike the short route along the Mallica River. He's never done that trail and I think it is one of the nicest in the area.

Maybe if we get there early enough we can help lug supplies from the drop point to the camp, unless that is happening earlier than our arrival?

SilvrSurfr
12-26-2013, 02:30
Deadphans told me he's bringing a companion; Lennay Kekua. They're bringing catfish for dinner.

Ratdog
12-26-2013, 19:31
Got a new 0 degree burrow tq and a dutch oven for Christmas, am testing burrow as I type this. Looking forward to more gear testing this weekend.

1 nephew is a definite, still waiting on another.

We will bring fish (probably salmon) and some red meat (whatever looks good when we shop)

I will be at Batsto to gather gear no later than noon. Will stay however long is needed within reason. Will drive gear to drop off point. Planned meet time depends on when first group sets off from Batsto and route but anticipate it to be approx 4 hrs after starting hike sometime after 12.

Nephew wants us to paddle in and we may do that.
He also wants to cook something and we are working the details.

We will also bring one wagon/garden cart, maybe 2 if that is helpful hauling stuff.

njredneck
12-26-2013, 19:37
I was planning on bringing one of my cook boxes to give us a work counter and a 2 burner propane stove. So the cart would be extremely helpful cast iron cookware is heavy.

Ratdog
12-26-2013, 19:48
Ok, so carts are coming, no worries, consider it done.

kayak karl
12-26-2013, 21:31
might stop out and visit, but can't camp there. NO DOGS at Mullica camp :(

njredneck
12-27-2013, 10:09
By my count we have 7 confirmed and 3 maybe's

NJredneck
SilvrSurfr
Ratdog + nephew
Silentorpheus
Brooklynkayak
Minh

Iafte?
Jolly green?
KY Bob?

If I missed anyone let me know

Iafte
12-27-2013, 10:20
I'm not going to be able to make the hike, too much to take care of tomorrow. I am still a maybe for Saturday night, have some time tonight to work on the wife.

Ratdog
12-27-2013, 10:38
Ok, I am still 2 (me & college aged nephew), 2nd nephew still a maybe.

We will meet folks at Batsto.

RAIN possible for Sunday.

silentorpheus
12-27-2013, 12:04
Ok, I am still 2 (me & college aged nephew), 2nd nephew still a maybe.

We will meet folks at Batsto.

RAIN possible for Sunday.

Thanks again, Ratdog, for offering to transport stuff to the drop spot, and bring portage equipment. I know we're all thinking it, but not sure we've actually said it as yet. :thumbup::thumbup:

silentorpheus
12-27-2013, 12:25
Is there any plan for coffee? :D

I can bring my fresh press, and can grab some coffee somewhere, unless SS can hit up his local roaster for some.

silentorpheus
12-27-2013, 12:26
Oh, and does anyone need any gear? Doesn't look like it'll be too cold, but you never know.

Let's not have anyone without a TQ this time, mmkay?

Hah!

njredneck
12-27-2013, 12:57
Is there any plan for coffee? :D

I can bring my fresh press, and can grab some coffee somewhere, unless SS can hit up his local roaster for some.

I've got my big pot packed. So if someone wants to grab coffee we've got the equipment to make it. :D

Ratdog
12-27-2013, 13:13
And don't sweat the weather forecast, just be prepared.
Forecast could change tomorrow, plus we're in the woods.
And if it's a total drag we have a bail option, so no worries.

I'll be bringing Gunpowder Green Tea but have no decent coffee to bring.

Ratdog
12-27-2013, 13:14
Oh, and does anyone need any gear? Doesn't look like it'll be too cold, but you never know.

Let's not have anyone without a TQ this time, mmkay?

Hah!

+1

I'm outfitting 2 for this trip and can bring more if needed.

silentorpheus
12-27-2013, 14:51
And don't sweat the weather forecast, just be prepared.
Forecast could change tomorrow, plus we're in the woods.
And if it's a total drag we have a bail option, so no worries.

I'll be bringing Gunpowder Green Tea but have no decent coffee to bring.

Weather report is now showing Saturday highs above 50˚, low of a balmy 28-30˚ or so.

Right now they're saying snow Sunday morning, turning to freezing rain by afternoon. So pack your foul weather gear in your drop box - our walk out might be a little damp.

SilvrSurfr
12-27-2013, 15:11
Jolly Green's gotta work; KYBob hates weather so I doubt he'll come but I should hear from him today.

I'll grab some coffee.

brooklynkayak
12-27-2013, 15:20
I say bring on the weather.
As long as it's not cold enough to cause slippery ice conditions.
It's supposed to be well above freezing, isn't it?

I would pack some kind of traction for the shoes otherwise.

njredneck
12-27-2013, 15:38

Daytime highs around 50 Sat and Sun lows around 30 overnight Sat. Don't think you will need ice spikes.

silentorpheus
12-27-2013, 15:41

It's all sand in the barrens - so you don't need to worry about needing traction for your shoes. All the snow we had from the last few weeks is gone at this point - so nothing should be slippery. Though the drive home might be crappy.

It'll be above freezing during the daylight hours of Saturday and Sunday, I think.

Ratdog
12-27-2013, 16:46
Nephew #2 is a go.

They want me to do sausage and peppers in the new dutch oven, so I guess that's the plan.

silentorpheus
12-27-2013, 17:14
By my count we have 7 confirmed and 3 maybe's

NJredneck
SilvrSurfr
Ratdog + nephew
Silentorpheus
Brooklynkayak
Minh

Iafte?
Jolly green?
KY Bob?

If I missed anyone let me know

So looks like the new list is:

NJredneck
SilvrSurfr
Ratdog + 2
Silentorpheus
Brooklynkayak
Minh

Iafte might show for the overnight, but would walk in on his own later in the day. KK might drop by to say hi.

That leaves us at 8 confirmed, and 1 possible, as far as who would be staying.

Do we need 2 sites?

silentorpheus
12-27-2013, 17:15
Nephew #2 is a go.

They want me to do sausage and peppers in the new dutch oven, so I guess that's the plan.

That's not a bad plan. SilvrSurfr is bringing seafood and breakfast items, NJRedneck is bringing red meat, I'm bringing beverages - so if you do sausage and peppers, that works in nicely. :D

Ratdog
12-27-2013, 17:21
Ok meal plan is looking solid.
I'm gonna grab a site for me and the lads.

Probably same site by the water, you know, with the views and all.
Plus don't want my cpap machine bugging others.

The boys, H.S. senior and college sophomore are all about building, maintaining fires and trying out their trangia stoves.

silentorpheus
12-27-2013, 17:25
Ok meal plan is looking solid.
I'm gonna grab a site for me and the lads.

Probably same site by the water, you know, with the views and all.
Plus don't want my cpap machine bugging others.

The boys, H.S. senior and college sophomore are all about building, maintaining fires and trying out their trangia stoves.

Nice! It'll be good to have some new meat ... I mean blood.

So I guess sites 8 and 9 (or is it 10 - depends on if the sign is still reversed) it is. that should hold all of us easily.

Ratdog
12-27-2013, 17:33
Yep, 8&9
Still can't believe someone thought they needed to swap them.

I put the signs back in correct site locs while doing camp cleanup last time.
Then I took a nap til sherpa arrived.

Gonna be a great night. Maybe the 'yotes will visit.

brooklynkayak
12-27-2013, 17:36
Ratdog,

I'll bet the hacking and wheezing from my cold can outdo your cpap:-)

brooklynkayak
12-27-2013, 17:43
Re: "Maybe the 'yotes will visit"

And with all the food, we're gonna have to do a lot of hanging.
They can be pretty diligent if they smell it.

I had a pack try hard to climb a tree to get at my food bag.

SilvrSurfr
12-27-2013, 20:44
KYBob bailed, as I expected - man does not like inclement weather.

silentorpheus
12-27-2013, 21:58
Do we have firewood wood covered? Or should we hope to gather what we can while we're there?

SilvrSurfr
12-27-2013, 22:10
Do we have firewood wood covered? Or should we hope to gather what we can while we're there?

I think Ratdog has firewood covered, though we'll have plenty of time to collect more.

Ratdog
12-27-2013, 22:16
I've got plenty and will grab a bundle at ranger's office anyway.

njredneck
12-28-2013, 11:24
Just got to Batsto sites 2 and 8 are taken

Ratdog
12-29-2013, 16:23
The food, all the courses, the drink, the desert, wow, just wow.

brooklynkayak
01-05-2014, 08:14
Thanks all for organizing and thanks for feeding Minh and I.
Hope to return the favor in the near future.
Maybe a hang in Harriman?
We know a few places that are away from the crowds with lots of trees to hang from.
We wouldn't be able to have the luxury of packing in a lot of stuff in Harriman, the good spots are at least a mile from any roads and over a mountain or two.