PDA

View Full Version : MO HANG 7 - Hawn State Park - February 8-9

Disco
12-16-2013, 22:41
I'm back in the saddle again! Time to get out in the woods after a long hiatus.
Let's explore the many trails in one of the most beautiful parks in the state.
Let's hope for some snow that will make the Pickle Creek trail even more beautiful.
Plan to hike just a few miles each day on this trip, so you can bring some luxury items.
We'll meet in the parking lot at the Whispering Pines Trailhead at 10am on Saturday morning. I have a nice off-trail place for us to hang, then we can hike the rest of the loop Sunday morning.

February 8-9, 2014
Hawn State Park
Park Info: http://mostateparks.com/park/hawn-state-park
Trail Info: http://mostateparks.com/trails/hawn-state-park?type=backpacking

Here's a little taste of the beauty of this trail. Hope to see all you guys there!

Skygzr
12-16-2013, 22:59
I'm back in the saddle again! Time to get out in the woods after a long hiatus.
Let's explore the many trails in one of the most beautiful parks in the state.
Let's hope for some snow that will make the Pickle Creek trail even more beautiful.
Plan to hike just a few miles each day on this trip, so you can bring some luxury items.
We'll meet in the parking lot at the Whispering Pines Trailhead at 10am on Saturday morning. I have a nice off-trail place for us to hang, then we can hike the rest of the loop Sunday morning.

February 8-9, 2014
Hawn State Park
Park Info: http://mostateparks.com/park/hawn-state-park
Trail Info: http://mostateparks.com/trails/hawn-state-park?type=backpacking

Here's a little taste of the beauty of this trail. Hope to see all you guys there!

Vicky and I are in...

Gideon
12-17-2013, 10:05
I'm traveling on the 9th so I'm out for this one, however, I might grab some of the kids and join you for a day hike on Saturday. Well see how the schedule looks as we get closer.
Gideon

hairbear
12-17-2013, 10:55
Thanks for the p m,I've had you on my mind alot lately.
Hope the career change has been kind to you.
Looking forward to a chance to hike with you again.

Disco
12-17-2013, 15:18
Gideon, I hope you can hike with us Saturday, that'd be great.

Hairbear, thanks...I'll sure have a lot to share on that subject. I'm looking forward to hiking with you all again too.

Gideon
12-17-2013, 18:49
I do to Disco; Hawn remains one of my favorite all time places. it wasn't too long ago that I took my two youngest daughters on a day hike there. We did the south loop (I think :rolleyes:) which is about 6 miles. It was a long hike for them but they did great. Weather was good and we took our dog. Stopped and put up three hammocks so we could take a nice lunch break. It was great except that there wan't any water in the little creek that runs along the one trail before you get to the campground.

I should be able to get out there for a bit, just have to make sure I have my bags packed for my trip.

Gideon

Gideon
12-17-2013, 18:50
And I double checked my calender this time to make sure I got it right ;)

Disco
12-18-2013, 00:10
So I thought of something fun/interesting for us to do on this trip. We've had the stove and gear exchanges already...this time I thought we could do a show and tell of sorts. Bring a piece of gear or something related to the outdoors that is special, interesting, sentimental, etc. and tell us about it. Tell us the story behind the item and why it is special to you.

Gideon
12-18-2013, 10:55
Good news (for me at least) Germany just changed the dates for my business travel so I should be able to make it now; I suspect Pyro will as well but he'll have to check his social calender.

Interesting idea Disco...I'll have to think about that one!

Gideon

Disco
12-19-2013, 08:25
Good news (for me at least) Germany just changed the dates for my business travel so I should be able to make it now; I suspect Pyro will as well but he'll have to check his social calender.

Awesome news!

Gideon
12-19-2013, 20:59
Pyro is in; his only concern was not to be in the woods on Valentine's day :boggle:

Gideon

Disco
12-20-2013, 08:26
Looking forward to it!

brown4914
12-22-2013, 18:04
I'm in. Finaly, a HF hang I can make it to.

This time I won't be late and spend the whole weekend running circles around Hawn trying to find the group :lol:

Disco
12-22-2013, 20:03
We'll be glad to meet you, Brown!

fgtayl01
12-24-2013, 17:45
Meh. I'll be in Florida that weekend. Have fun guys.

digitizer101
12-25-2013, 22:07
Out look is good that I can make this hike. And I am looking forward to seeing everyone again. I may also be bringing along my son. He is 13 and has been wanting to go on a hammock trip since I started going. I will keep everyone posted as to if I am in for sure. I just need to verify our Scout Freeze out weekend is not the same weekend.

Maybe we can get below 9 degrees this time:)

Owl
12-30-2013, 12:37
Weasel and I may well try to make it out to this one...we've not hung on that side of the state. Would be a nice chance to meet a lot of y'all.

Gideon
12-30-2013, 12:54
Hope you make it Owl; Hawn State park is probably one of the better hiking/camping spots in the state. If you do both loops it's either a long hard day hike or you can split it up and it's a perfect over-nighter. The area along Pickle creek is beautiful any time of the year.

I hope I get to meet you guys!

Gideon

brown4914
12-30-2013, 23:42
Just read in December's issue of Backpacker, Hawn was actually the numero uno "Time Sculpted Treks" in the Mid West :)

Can't say that I have been to many other parks in the mid west but have been to Hawn several times and yes, it is quite beautiful.

Excited to hang with the crowd.

Owl
01-06-2014, 10:06
Weasel is out for this run...he's got drill that weekend. But Hoot has offered to let me ride with him, so I'm in at this point. Will be good to meet up with a bunch of folks from here!

Owl
01-06-2014, 12:43
I'm curious...about what kind of distance are we talking about on Sat, and then on Sun? Doesn't look like it'll be that much...just curious since I'm sure I'm woefully outta shape and likely to carry more gear than anyone else. :)

Looking forward to this run.

Gideon
01-06-2014, 13:23
Disco will answer more specifically but the last time we did this I don't think we covered 2 - 2.5 miles going in. On Sunday it's really up to you; you can just go back the way we came in or hike some portion of either the South or North loops. I just don't know if Disco already has a specific spot picked out for our campsite Saturday evening. Knowing Disco, I suspect he does.

I can't wait for this one; will be good to see old friends, meet new ones and Hawn is one of my favorite places.

Gideon

Campalot
01-06-2014, 16:44
I'm curious...about what kind of distance are we talking about on Sat, and then on Sun? Doesn't look like it'll be that much...just curious since I'm sure I'm woefully outta shape and likely to carry more gear than anyone else. :)

No one carries more gear than digitizer ! :laugh:

Owl
01-06-2014, 17:23

Clearly you've not met me...nor Radiohead! :)

I HAVE a kitchen sink to bring along. :) And Radiohead has ME beat...LOL!

Gideon
01-06-2014, 22:00
If you carry more than Digitizer, then I'll be truly impressed. that guy could outfit a troop of boy scouts for a month and then have enough left over to take care of us if we run out of fuel, food, toilet paper, etc. etc.

And while he's doing it he'll bake you a cake on one of the coolest little stoves! :D

Anyway, I'll be happy to hike with you Owl!

Looking forward to this one; it's been a while!!

Gideon

Disco
01-06-2014, 23:08

Just like Gideon said...we'll just do a couple miles to get to camp Saturday, then on Sunday, you have the choice of going back out the way we came in or hiking the rest of the loop.

digitizer101
01-07-2014, 10:48

Now just hold on a minute I only carry the necessities and well any other thing that could come in handy!

If you carry more than Digitizer, then I'll be truly impressed. that guy could outfit a troop of boy scouts for a month and then have enough left over to take care of us if we run out of fuel, food, toilet paper, etc. etc.

And while he's doing it he'll bake you a cake on one of the coolest little stoves! :D

Gideon

Did someone say cake...

TheXCcrow
01-11-2014, 23:03
Man if i was back home in Missouri I would totally love to go.

Owl
01-14-2014, 10:23
I'm in. I plan on riding there with Hoot, so we'll figure out what route we take on Sunday based on his time table as well. I'm planning on making a UQP for this run, and this will be my first real winter hang with the underquilt/topquilt combo.

Its been a few months since I have been able to get out in the woods, so really looking foward to this hang.

RADIOHEAD
01-16-2014, 16:56
If I go anyone gonna bring a cake? I turn 44 years young (or brain damaged) on Feb. 8th!

Gideon
01-19-2014, 18:11
digitizer could probably break out an oven and cook you one :D

Happy Birthday (in advance) and I do hope you get to come. I know you're family might miss you on your birthday but I can't think of a better way to spend a birthday!!

Gideon

Disco
01-19-2014, 20:31
We're less than 3 weeks away!

Gideon
01-21-2014, 12:38
Still seems like such a long way off!!

Owl
01-22-2014, 15:34
We must be getting close...my last minute gear order went out today. :)

I've only this winter started using down quilts. I've had a lot of success with the HHSS, but thought I'd try the TQ/UQ setup. I've used them successfully so far, but wanted to get or make a UQP for this run...ended up submitting an order to 2QZQ for one today, should have it arrive in time for this hang.

Always nice to try out new gear.

digitizer101
01-23-2014, 10:46
I started building my 2nd Monster Under Quilt for my son to go along on this hike. I will post some videos once I have it further along. I may even work on a winter tarp for him time permitting.

Can't wait to hit the trail it has been a long time since I have been out in the woods.:D

mohanger
01-23-2014, 22:29
would love to get out there with you guys but have not completed or tested my set up yet. still missing some insulation so no cold camping yet.

digitizer101
01-27-2014, 08:49
Well its Monday and I spent all weekend getting ready for the winter hike. Or should I say getting a winter rig setup for my son. I now have his underquilt nearly finished and his winter tarp all finished with the exception of the tie outs.

Here are some videos I put together of the project if you are really board. I still have to post the last tarp video coming soon.

Quilt part 1

NXV2QkDxr1A

Quilt part 2 (very long)

5R4js9hWtzg

Tarp part 1

3Zuo7eBfDqg

Tarp part 2

I3q9i6Anm5Y

brown4914
01-27-2014, 21:01
Went on a day hike at Hawn yesterday (Sunday) to get warmed up for this HF Hang. It was an absolutely perfect day! 50 degrees with barely a cloud in the sky, in January!!! Did north and south loop and ended right at sunset, took 6 hours to the exact minute.

Anyways, because of last year's MO Hang, I learned of Hawn, and every person I've brought there since has loved it beyond belief.

Thank you!

Truly a magical park. See y'all soon!

Owl
01-28-2014, 10:04
Spoke with Hoot yesterday and this morning. We're making sure we're synched up since he's gracious enough to let me ride along with him out on this run.

Also got an email from Donna/2QZQ...my UQP is in the mail. :D

Really wish Weasel could have made it out for this run...he'd have really liked coming out someplace we've not been before.

Looking forward to meeting up with a lot of folks on this run that I've not had the chance to meet with before.

Disco
01-28-2014, 22:44
It's looking like it'll be a cold one!

Hoot
01-29-2014, 23:12
Officially Putting my name in the hat.

As Owl Said, He is riding down with me.

It is going to be COOOOoOOOoOOOLD! :eek:

Hoot
01-29-2014, 23:16
If I go anyone gonna bring a cake? I turn 44 years young (or brain damaged) on Feb. 8th!

I Have a Birthday on the 3rd!

RADIOHEAD
01-30-2014, 01:00
Want to go on this one! Been sick for the past week with type A flu. Coming out of it now but going to play it by ear, do not want to go without being fully recovered. Will give a go or no go later on next week. Just for FYI. . . Avoid catching this stuff at all cost! Would not wish this on my worst enemy!:eek:

Hoot
01-30-2014, 12:49
Want to go on this one! Been sick for the past week with type A flu. Coming out of it now but going to play it by ear, do not want to go without being fully recovered. Will give a go or no go later on next week. Just for FYI. . . Avoid catching this stuff at all cost! Would not wish this on my worst enemy!:eek:

If you do Take a half day Friday and Ride down with Owl and I.

Hoot
01-30-2014, 12:55
Sooo

We talked about how cold it is going to be, let's talk about SNOW!

Friday
snow
Periods of light snow. High 24F. Winds ENE at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of snow 60%. Snow accumulating 1 to 3 inches.

Friday Night
snow
Periods of light snow. Low 16F. Winds light and variable. Chance of snow 70%. 1 to 3 inches of snow expected.

Saturday
snow
Light snow during the morning will give way to cloudy skies during the afternoon. High 31F. Winds NW at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of snow 60%. Snowfall around one inch.

Saturday Night
flurries
Snow flurries early will give way to partly cloudy skies during the overnight hours. Low 11F. Winds NW at 10 to 15 mph.

Sunday
partlycloudy
Partly cloudy skies. High 27F. Winds WNW at 10 to 15 mph.

Deck out in the Cold Weather Gear. I guess I better load out my Sled with Generator and Espresso Maker.

Disco
01-30-2014, 13:57
Woohoo! I'd love some fresh powder to hike in!

Hoot
01-30-2014, 16:23
Woohoo! I'd love some fresh powder to hike in!

Me too, I am more so on the excited side to be out hanging while it is snowing!

I hope this forecast doesn't change much for the better.

Hoot
01-30-2014, 19:14
Just talked with Skygzr, He may meet up with us Saturday afternoon!

While I was on the phone with him, I figured out what to bring to show and tell.

Jet Boil Chop Shop Adventure - Presented by Hoot

Can't wait to see all of you again.

Did I read that Hairbear is coming?

Owl
01-30-2014, 21:34
I have to admit...I've not yet hammock-camped in the snow. I absolutely would enjoy it if it snowed on this run.

Now...not un-used to snow, mind you, nor unfamiliar with the concept of 'camping' per-se in it. LOL.

Gideon
01-31-2014, 04:55
Weather sounds fantastic; really looking forward to seeing all of you and thanks for the videos Digitizer; they're great. You're a really talented individual.

Bad news; Pyro won't be making this one. He realized that the sweetheart dance is that Saturday evening. He said to say that he's sorry he'll miss it, that he was looking forward to seeing all of you again but that he's sure you'll understand that his girlfriend is his priority. I told him we'd manage to carry on without him! :rolleyes:

See in all in a week!

Gideon

Owl
01-31-2014, 11:16
What's the closest town to Hawn? I was looking at the forecast for Farmington...but wanted to get y'all's thoughts?

Hoot
02-01-2014, 00:33
What's the closest town to Hawn? I was looking at the forecast for Farmington...but wanted to get y'all's thoughts?

12096 Park Dr, Ste. Genevieve, MO 63670

Weather Link (http://www.wunderground.com/weather-forecast/US/MO/Sainte_Genevieve.html)

Hoot
02-02-2014, 01:42
Awww

The snow is slowly leaving the forcast

digitizer101
02-02-2014, 17:38
I just finished packing my gear and realized that I am back up to 50lbs. Winter camping can be a pain in the but. I just hope we still get some of that snow that was forecast.

Looking forward to seeing everyone.

Gideon sorry to hear that Pyro is not going to make this one hope to catch him on the next one. My son is all packed and very excited to get out in the woods for this hike.

Hairbear, haven't heard anything from you since the first page. sure hope your still going to be able to make this trip. if not shoot me a PM still looking to head up north to do a hang with you.

See everyone in a few days.

Owl
02-03-2014, 09:47
Thank you Digitizer!!!

Here I was worried I was overpacking! :)

I'm not pulking on this run...don't have snowshoes either. I'm in the process of packing, and trying to get a good estimate of weight on what I'm taking as well.

The good news is...I should have plenty to keep me warm with! :D If I get too cold at night, I can always pack my pack and walk around camp til I'm warm...LOL!

Looking forward to meeting a lot of new folks on this run! And camping again with some 'old' friends...Hoot, Radiohead, Skygzr.

RADIOHEAD
02-03-2014, 11:00
if the forecast keeps trending the way it is we may get a light dusting if anything at all. I can hope. Going to bring the pack and sled both just in case. . .

Owl
02-04-2014, 09:31
Pulled out my gear last night and started double checking things, making sure I'm 'winterized'. Changed a couple of things around so that they're easier to do with cold hands/fingers.

Bringing the camp chair along, for sitting around and BS'ing with folks, which is always nice.

Gotta bring the gopro too, of course.

Will be curious where my weight comes in for this run. Also wondering what the snow accumulation is going to look like on that end of the state between now and Friday. We're supposed to get a good amount here today.

Hoot
02-04-2014, 11:07
Pulled out my gear last night and started double checking things, making sure I'm 'winterized'. Changed a couple of things around so that they're easier to do with cold hands/fingers.

Bringing the camp chair along, for sitting around and BS'ing with folks, which is always nice.

Gotta bring the gopro too, of course.

Will be curious where my weight comes in for this run. Also wondering what the snow accumulation is going to look like on that end of the state between now and Friday. We're supposed to get a good amount here today.

So far the forecast is calling for 1-3 down there (Last I saw)

Yeah, ground sitting in the snow is never fun, although there are logs that can be fashioned for seats.

RADIOHEAD
02-05-2014, 10:58
I am afraid I have to call off this one. My cough is still here from the flu las week. I am afraid it will turn into pneumonia or bronchitis if I hang out in the cold air for that long. Hope I can still see some of you in March at Owl's hang at Woodridge. Have a good trip, y'all! :D

digitizer101
02-05-2014, 11:06
Raidohead sorry you can't make it hope you are feeling better. Hope to see you on a hike soon.

Owl
02-05-2014, 23:16
Packed out. Everything loaded up but the water. Running about the same weight I carried out to the Cedar Creek trip...but given the weather and temps I prepped for this time, I think I'm doing alright.

I'd guess I'm running about 30lbs including my comfort gear.

All I got left to pack is the camera and tripod. Printing out the trailmap here in a few.

Looking forward to this one!

Hoot
02-06-2014, 09:29
Does anyone know how much snow is on the ground there?

digitizer101
02-06-2014, 12:24
Not sure about how much snow there is but I did find a nice trail map on line. This map could be outdated so you may want to check when you arrive to see if there is a newer one out.

http://files.meetup.com/253266/hawn%20trail%20map.jpg

Hoot
02-06-2014, 13:16
Per City hall down there, 2-3 Inches on the ground.

brown4914
02-07-2014, 16:49
I am heading down tonight.

On mostateparks.com there is an advisory for Hawn saying, "The road at the top of the hill (accessing the campground and day-use area) is temporarily closed due to hazardous conditions from winter weather."

I do not know if this will change by tomorrow morning but I am still heading there. If the gate is closed then I'm going to walk in. It says the road is closed because of hazardous conditions, I assume its snowy/icey. But it doesn't say that the park itself is closed so I'll still plan to be at trailhead at 10am. I'm going to leave my number with Disco, so if something should happen to group, or timing or anything Im relying on him to let me know. & my flip phone isn't 'online capable' so I won't be able to recieve HF alerts/messages.

Despite the advisory on their website I hope to see you all tomorrow morning!

Cheers.

hairbear
02-07-2014, 17:28
Sorry to miss this one guys, my back is getting worse instead of better. I'll be there in spirit, have fun.

Disco
02-07-2014, 20:48
Brown, I got your PM. I'll call you if anything changes.

See you all tomorrow!

Disco
02-07-2014, 22:36
The advisory Brown is talking about is still on the park website.

"The road at the top of the hill (accessing the campground and day-use area) is temporarily closed due to hazardous conditions from winter weather."

If we cannot use the road to drive to the trailhead, plan on meeting at the park office.

Hoot
02-08-2014, 12:08
Owl and I got a late go of things. We hung at an undisclosed location between columbia and ST Louis. Our plan was to get started this morning and meet all at trail head today. As it happens, we both endured some gear issues last night and chose to call it.

We are sitting in Columbia at Cracker Barrel having breakfast. Hope you guys have a good hang.

brown4914
02-09-2014, 19:30
Trip Report thread is up! Add your perspective, add a picture! Add nothing if you wish, but the thread is started nonetheless.

Cheers

digitizer101
02-10-2014, 08:14
Owl and I got a late go of things. We hung at an undisclosed location between columbia and ST Louis. Our plan was to get started this morning and meet all at trail head today. As it happens, we both endured some gear issues last night and chose to call it.

We are sitting in Columbia at Cracker Barrel having breakfast. Hope you guys have a good hang.

Sorry we missed out on the opportunity to meet up with you guys. Hope at least your one night out was still enjoyable. looking forward to catching you on the next hang.