PDA

View Full Version : New proposed trail in New Jersey +

Deadphans
12-18-2013, 20:40
I am not sure where to put this thread, but I got excited to see it and had to share.

http://www.nps.gov/ncrc/programs/rtca/whatwedo/projects/NJ.pdf

Project #5. 1,100 mile trail connecting the three disaster sites for 9/11 in a 7 state triangle. Not sure what the whole project entails, but it sure intrigues me!

brooklynkayak
12-22-2013, 07:05
One of many proposed and exiting paths in NJ.

What is common with most area trails is that many sections have restrictions on overnight camping.

That's fine if you plan on doing everything as day hikes, or shuttling and staying in expensive hotel/motels, but it's frustrating trying to stay on the trail.

Stealth camping is difficult in many places.

nothermark
12-22-2013, 09:14
I have to wonder how flexible the definition of trail is too in many places. Does a kiosk on a sidewalk make it a trail?

Deadphans
12-22-2013, 10:25
Yes, that is very true. I was thinking of the possible logistics of this trail, and it seems like it would be tough to accommodate overnight sleeping in segments of the trail so you do not have to stay in a hotel/motel.

I figure the definition for many trails in New Jersey is wide enough for a bus to drop urban kids off. :) I always wonder about that as well when I try to explore the trails around here.

brooklynkayak
12-22-2013, 10:51
NJ is famous for not even having sidewalks along roads. So if you have to walk very far you are always in danger of getting run over.

Luckily you have he AT and a few other places where overnight is legal. Kitattiny and Pine Barrens areas come to mind.
You also have many places where stealth camping is relatively easy, but illegal.
So much of these trails are doable if well planned.