PDA

View Full Version : IL>Apple River, Walnut Grove Youth Campground> January 25th, 2014

Ryn8tor
12-24-2013, 13:52
I have some new gear coming that I'd like to try out and was wanting to gauge interest in a Northern Illinois hang in mid-late January. I was thinking to go to Apple River Canyon State Park : http://www.dnr.state.il.us/lands/landmgt/parks/r1/apple.htm#Camping

Winter camping is allowed in the youth campground. There seems to be plenty of trees from google maps. Let me know if any preference as to date.

Regards,
Ryan

rookiehanger
12-26-2013, 22:35
I might be interested. Not sure if I'll get my new UQ in time though.

Ryn8tor
12-26-2013, 22:48
I'm waiting on some down to finish up the UQ. I hadn't started to stuff it until recently. When I had filled it with the amount recommended, I wanted to put more in it. I started a job in St. Charles, that's why I hadn't been around the club at all.

KC8QVO
12-27-2013, 13:20
I will have to get in to next years' schedule but late January/early February might work for me. The first weekend in February might be a good one right now. Perhaps the weekend before.

Ryn8tor
12-29-2013, 21:06
I've asked a moderator set the date in the heading to be January 25th. That's the weekend between the NFL Conference championships and the Superbowl.

KC8QVO
12-29-2013, 22:28
I probably wont be able to make that one, but if that changes Ill post back.

Jcavenagh
12-30-2013, 18:28
Hmmmm...I'm pretty sure I have a broken tailbone, but I'll keep watching here. If I feel better, this fits right into my State Park project...

Ryn8tor
12-30-2013, 21:47
Hope you can join in, Jcavenaugh. "The best in tent camping: Illinois" by John Schirle lists this as a best for hiking and beauty.

KC8QVO
12-31-2013, 02:42
Are you just going out for one night? Im flying out on the 19th for the week, not sure what day Ill be back. If I have a day or two between flying back and the hang I may be good to go.

zip-d-dude
12-31-2013, 08:12
I've camped in that campground, and I am not sure there us enough trees. In the regular campground yes, but the youth campground is pretty open with a few small trees. Mississippi palasades may be a better choice. I will be busy with the Scouts so I cannot make it.

Ryn8tor
12-31-2013, 13:00
Are you just going out for one night? Im flying out on the 19th for the week, not sure what day Ill be back. If I have a day or two between flying back and the hang I may be good to go.

If another person wants to make it a two night hang, I'll join in. I have a lot of new gear that I want to try out.

I've camped in that campground, and I am not sure there us enough trees. In the regular campground yes, but the youth campground is pretty open with a few small trees. Mississippi palasades may be a better choice. I will be busy with the Scouts so I cannot make it.

I just spoke with the visitor center and I was told there were trees in the camp area and there was a treeline, but he was concerned about undergrowth. I wouldn't think that would matter. I'm going to advance scout this weekend.

Jcavenagh
12-31-2013, 17:26
Apple River is very pretty park, at least in the summer. I have been several times for picnics during the 1990s.
I look forward to hiking the park. The water will be low, so hiking into the canyons should be fairly easy.

KC8QVO
12-31-2013, 19:08
If you guys are familiar with the area much, what is the best route from Joliet? 30, 47, 88, 39?

Ryn8tor
12-31-2013, 20:03
If you guys are familiar with the area much, what is the best route from Joliet? 30, 47, 88, 39?

That's about right, then take route 20.

Edit: OR 30, 47, 64, 39, 20 might work better, to avoid tolls.

markglist
01-01-2014, 18:27
how did ya break your tailbone cav? i may attend i have to see
how my work schedule is going

Jcavenagh
01-02-2014, 12:22
I slipped on some slick ice shoveling my driveway. A full banana-peel-feet-over-head-land-on-tailbone deal. I was suspended in the air for a split second and felt like I needed one of those Wile E. Coyote signs that says "Yipes!"
My muscles don't work quite right, e.g. I can't lift my legs correctly going up stairs or taking long steps. So I am assuming the bone is broken. I am taking it easy and things seem to be healing. It's been about 2 weeks now...

The best way to get there from Joliet is to get out to I39 North then take US 20 West. Take US Rt. 20 West for approximately 50 miles to Rt. 78 North. Turn right onto Rt. 78, go 6 miles to Canyon Road. Take a left on Canyon Road. The park is well signed on Rt. 20 and Rt. 78.

HINT: When you see signs for Freeport, slow down. The bypass around Freeport, the whole bypass, is a speed trap.

markglist
01-02-2014, 19:15
hope ya feel better soon .

Stovemandan
01-02-2014, 21:08
Can you believe the temperature forecast for next 60 hours in the Northern Illinois area. Yikes!!!:eek:

By the end of the month it might be like Ely, MN:scared:

Ryn8tor
01-04-2014, 11:12
My scouting trip will have to wait until next week. Roads were slick and I slid off the road about 5 miles from my house. Once I got pulled out, I witnessed two other cars in separate areas losing control and sliding into the ditch on the way home. I think I'll stay put for now.

KC8QVO
01-05-2014, 19:57
I just ran out to the store 9 miles down the road and the temps dropped the whole way - hit 5deg by the time we got back, wind blowing like crazy too. Near Bolingbrook/Joliet. We didn't catch any vehicles off the road - just a few trying to make it up the hills in to their neighborhoods. I didn't have time to stop and drag anyone up a hill, but I thought about it. This is ridiculous weather.

markglist
01-05-2014, 20:53
i was out in it all day working and checking on buildings before the deep freeze hits tonight really wuild out there lol

Ryn8tor
01-05-2014, 21:40
I guess they wound up closing the road I was on (route 38).
http://couriernews.suntimes.com/24781402-418/school-closings-announced-along-with-some-road-closings.html

KC8QVO
01-08-2014, 16:10
Turns out Ill be back the 22nd. So count me in for the hang.

rookiehanger
01-08-2014, 23:00
I'm still a maybe. My UQ is 9 away from being in production. Underground quilt Zepplin full length 0 degree. I'd rather sleep outside in the cold than go to another of her nephews b day parties!

Ryn8tor
01-09-2014, 17:09
I'm still a maybe. My UQ is 9 away from being in production. Underground quilt Zepplin full length 0 degree. I'd rather sleep outside in the cold than go to another of her nephews b day parties!

I got a Lewis underquilt shell from underquilts.com and the last of my down just arrived today. I hope to finish filling this weekend and sew it shut next weekend. I’m overfilling the shell, so if you want to borrow it, you’d probably be plenty warm. I’m not sure on the vapor barrier and triangle thingy necessities, so bring what you’ll need. I’ll have some quilt hooks from dutch installed, so I guess the triangle thingies might not be necessary. I have a new double layer hammock I want to try out with my ccf pad.

Jcavenagh
01-10-2014, 18:54

Hey, Bob, I have an extra KAQ 40* UQ. With some extra insulation, e.g. a pad, or maybe slip a sleeping bag inside the UQ, it might work for you. Let me know...
[email protected]

KC8QVO
01-15-2014, 22:00
Looks like it could be pretty cold the weekend of the 25th. I see out to that Friday the lows are single digits.

Ryn8tor
01-17-2014, 21:22
http://dnr.state.il.us/publications/pdf/00000016.pdf
Coordinates: N 42.448224 W 90.049336

Okay, I made a scouting trip out last week. I have some photos in this album: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/album.php?albumid=3262
Sorry that the photos posted in inverse order and so are the comments. I had problems doing a group upload.

While I was there, I was the only non-critter making tracks in the area, so it's been fairly undisturbed by winter campers. The group camp is the only one that gets plowed out. I did not notice a lot of opportunity for gathering firewood, so I think we'd have to stop in town (Stockton is the nearest nearby). We'd be right by our cars and it has a toilet pit, so we'd hardly be roughing it.

I left comments on the photos of the scouting trip, so if there's anything I left out or need to find out let me know.

Also, please give an update on the interest of the outing and when you intended on arriving.

Jcavenagh
01-18-2014, 19:34
How deep was the snow would you estimate?
I have old cedar planking from a deck I tore out a few years back.
I'll bring a load of that stuff. It burns a long time.

Jcavenagh
01-18-2014, 19:37
NWS says, as of now...
Friday A slight chance of snow. Partly sunny, with a high near 21.
Friday Night Mostly cloudy, with a low around 10.
Saturday Partly sunny, with a high near 20.

Those are not as bad as it looked a few days ago.
I need a hike...bad.
Even if I only get 1.5 or 2 miles, my sitting all the time is killing me.

KC8QVO
01-18-2014, 19:56
I'm looking forward to meeting up with you guys. Are you going out Friday night too or just Saturday?

As to wood - I have a nice folding camp saw, actually 2 but for what we're doing the one is too small. I wouldn't mind hiking around a bit for fire wood.

I will be back real late wed/early thursday am so I may be pretty worn out for Friday but if for some reason I can arrange to get out of work early (by 3) I can see about making it up Friday night - if anyone is going to be there.

Steve

Ryn8tor
01-18-2014, 21:29
How deep was the snow would you estimate?

Surprisingly, there was only 4-6 inches of snow.

I'm looking forward to meeting up with you guys. Are you going out Friday night too or just Saturday?

As to wood - I have a nice folding camp saw, actually 2 but for what we're doing the one is too small. I wouldn't mind hiking around a bit for fire wood.

I will be back real late wed/early thursday am so I may be pretty worn out for Friday but if for some reason I can arrange to get out of work early (by 3) I can see about making it up Friday night - if anyone is going to be there.

Steve

I'll make it up if you decide to go up Friday. Just let me know by Wednesday night, so I can make work arrangements for Friday.

Jcavenagh
01-19-2014, 16:35
Well, post up of you are camping FRI. I'll see if I can sneak out early...

Jcavenagh
01-19-2014, 16:36
So, it seems there are only 3 of us...Anyone else?
C'mon, you know you want to!

KC8QVO
01-19-2014, 18:18
I think we may be the only crazy ones.

It will be a fun time though. I have a white gas stove and lotsa fuel. If someone has a big pot maybe we can do up some chili? I suppose since we aren't "hiking in" i can grab the big pot out of the kitchen.

Ryn8tor
01-19-2014, 18:33
I'll bring a cooking grate if that helps. I have a pot as well which is intended for camping, but has only been used for hot apple cider and tequila at tailgating over a portable burner. It has a tripod that we can hang it from over the fire.

KC8QVO
01-19-2014, 18:55
I have a pot as well which is intended for camping, but has only been used for hot apple cider and tequila at tailgating over a portable burner. It has a tripod that we can hang it from over the fire.

The apple cider and tequila sounds good but I dont do tequila well at all.

Good deal on the tripod. That would be really nice. Ive used one of thise once, only with a grill grate cooking steaks. I wish there was a set up like that which could be used backpacking - ie: light weight.

Ryn8tor
01-19-2014, 20:48
I wish there was a set up like that which could be used backpacking - ie: light weight.

The light weight version is something I'd been practicing lately -- finding 3 6 foot tree limbs and bring some rope. Planning on doing some camping travel to Oregon/Washington in early September and was planning on knowing how to build a tripod to make a bushcraft tripod chair, as seen in the photos in this thread: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=27228&page=4

MagicPaddler
01-20-2014, 07:40
I am watching from the warmth of my computer desk.

Jcavenagh
01-20-2014, 11:34
Jose Cuervo and I had a three day conversation one night many years ago. We decided that it was best to leave each other alone.
However, rum with cider, and maybe some cinnamon...now that's a winter's drink.
I have a couple dutch ovens and with the tripod, I think we can probably whip up something tasty...peach cobbler for dessert??

barchetta
01-20-2014, 14:53
Trust me they're amazing!!!!!!

Ryn8tor
01-20-2014, 17:03
That'd be great Jcavanaugh. I hear it's supposed to be windy(25mph) Fri/Sat, which will impact site selection, setting up, fire, hydration, etc. Hope not to have to go to the ground. I know to hang the tarp lower works. Perhaps bringing an extra tarp for additional wind coverage would work(?).

If anyone has any other wind prep suggestions, post here.

I'm trying to get in touch with the park with some additional questions I came up with, some wind related.

Regards,
Ryan

rookiehanger
01-21-2014, 05:39
I tried again to figure out away to go, but not happening. Stay warm you guys!

Jcavenagh
01-21-2014, 12:24
OK, so we are looking at temps from 30* down to 0*. Winds NW 20MPH.
If we are reasonable with the fire we'll be OK. We don't need to build a signal fire.

Jcavenagh
01-22-2014, 18:30
barchetta - Come on out and test all that new gear!!
You in?

Ryn8tor
01-22-2014, 20:25
Hope you can make it Barchetta. I'm taking a half day on Friday so I should be out there around 3pm.

KC8QVO
01-23-2014, 03:02
Long day. Just ate dinner and got a shower. Time for bed. I haven't dug any of my gear out, but I'll do that when I get home tomorrow. I will check on getting up there at a decent time Friday. We'll see how I feel tomorrow too - may want to rest some.

Jcavenagh
01-23-2014, 18:43
I don't think I can get away early tomorrow.
But Sat. a.m. for sure. jc

Jcavenagh
01-23-2014, 19:29
I'll bring some firewood, a dutch oven or two, peach cobbler fixins, extra tarp or two...hot winter drink...

zip-d-dude
01-23-2014, 20:09
I live in the area (Chicagoland) but will not be able to go due to other prioriries. Anyway food luck and have fun.

KC8QVO
01-23-2014, 21:26
I have some bacon and chili. I haven't packed up my gear yet, still trying to catch up on some things here. My plan is to be loaded up in the morning, head to work, and then take off from there. I have a lunch get-together tomorrow for work, I am hoping after that I can roll out.

I need to figure out some breakfast. I'll do up some coffee bags tonight so its easy and ready to brew.

KC8QVO
01-24-2014, 07:18
Does anyone have a decent thermometer that they can bring? It would be interesting to see what the temp gets to.

Ryn8tor
01-24-2014, 09:21
Does anyone have a decent thermometer that they can bring? It would be interesting to see what the temp gets to.

I don't have one. Maybe on the way out, I'll stop at Farm & Fleet to get one.

For food, I'm bringing reuben sausages and some potato pancake mix, pop tarts, granola and a packet of pancake mix. There's an unopened cannister of peppermint cocoa at work from christmas I might commandeer and figure out something to put in it.

KC8QVO
01-24-2014, 10:24
I have lotsa coffee. If we run out of the premade bags i have ready I have fixin's for more. Forgot the bacon in the fridge... Have lotsa chili cans but forgot mu can opener. Ill just use the swiss army knife. It works, just more work.

I take that back... My camping bin may still have a crank can opener in it. I check when I get there.

Got a bit of hot chocolate mix with marshmallows.

Stovemandan
01-24-2014, 12:03
Buy a couple bags of Wood Pellets. 40 pound bag costs $4.00 at Farm&Fleet or any of the big box stores.

Ryn8tor
01-24-2014, 12:27
Buy a couple bags of Wood Pellets. 40 pound bag costs $4.00 at Farm&Fleet or any of the big box stores.

Thanks Dan! I will.

Jcavenagh
01-24-2014, 12:56
I'm still at my desk in my office.
I'll catch up tomorrow late a.m.

KC8QVO
01-24-2014, 20:46
Ok. We're out here. Temp and wind arent too bad yet. It just started snowing.

Fyi - the roads may end up being real nasty tomorrow with the wind. Just be careful and take your time. They were getting bad when I came through around 3-4.

Jcavenagh
01-25-2014, 10:19
R & K - I am heading into Chicago. My F-I-L fell and hit his head. I gotta go help my wife.
j

KC8QVO
01-25-2014, 13:47
I hope everything goes ok with your father in law.

It is real windy here so camp isnt much fun. We are going to head out in a couple hours.

KC8QVO
01-25-2014, 20:26
Ryan - I think my thermometer was lying to us. It showed about 30deg this morning. When I jumped in the truck to head home it said 15deg and went down to 9 by the time I got home.

It was so windy on the way home I had the tonneau cover on my truck blow off. I had about a 40mph cross wind coming down 78 and up it went. I got it back on, re-traced my path and didn't find anything that blew out so I think I have it all... I hit the gas station in Stockton to re-secure the cover - I tied it down with ropes so if it let loose again there was no way for it to come up. When I was on 39 I saw it come up about an inch on the up wind side, so things were definitely "moving".

KC8QVO
01-25-2014, 21:09
Here are some pictures.

This is my hammock set up. Somewhere along the lines I heard about hanging low and sealing the tarp with snow. Whoever I got the idea from, or wherever, THANKS! This was an awesome change.

This is the up wind side/sealed:
http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o117/KC8QVO/Backpacking%20Stuff/IMG_1278_zpsb2178f6e.jpg

This is the down wind side/entrance:
http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o117/KC8QVO/Backpacking%20Stuff/IMG_1276_zpse81778a4.jpg

The orange line there is 1" tubular webbing. It was what I had handy to use as a ridge line of sorts. I tied the anchor end with a Bolin, used two loops tied in for the tarp anchors, and another loop on the other side to pass the loose end through that also helped to put tension in the line, as opposed to just tying back on the line after a round around the tree. The trees were just close enough to use the suspension on the hammock alone, though I couldn't get the lines up high enough around the trees for the optimum lay.

Inside the tarp:
http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o117/KC8QVO/Backpacking%20Stuff/IMG_1287_zps84c40e43.jpg

The underquilt is a Hammock Gear Incubator, full length 20deg rated, though I got the most overstuffing they offer. It was, again, nice and toasty - once I got the hammock off the snow. That was another issue. The trees were so far apart that when I sat in the hammock it stretched to the snow. So I bounced around a bit to pack the snow down further. That didn't quite do it so I reached in between the hammock and underquilt and shoved the snow around as best I could. What I should have done is shovel out the snow under the hammock before I put all my gear in there. That would have given me plenty of room.

Another idea I got from someone here on the forums - use shock chord for tarp guys instead of rope as it will stretch and absorb the tarp flap in the wind. I ended up finding the shock chord I had left from my attempt at making an underquilt last year so I used some of it for my guy lines this time. It is thick chord - about 3/16-1/4". I used a Bolin knot on the tarp, looped it around the stake, then passed the loose end up through the tarp loop again and used half-hitches to secure. I had no problems with it loosening up, and I really liked having the long pieces so I could adjust the tension on it. I can see where the chord alone may be weak and using a rope as normal with the chord to tension the rope may be a better idea, but I had no issues with this set up or worry of it breaking on me. Maybe the chord is too heavy duty for the application, but worked just fine for me this round.
http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o117/KC8QVO/Backpacking%20Stuff/IMG_1277_zpsf8099446.jpg

This was our "base camp":
http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o117/KC8QVO/Backpacking%20Stuff/IMG_1293_zpsaa419289.jpg

The tarp was a good idea at first. However, there was no set direction the wind would blow from there. It would gust one way and switch 180deg the next gust. Trying to dance around the fire escaping the smoke at that point was pointless. The only "good" place to be was curled up in a hammock.

I hung my thermometer remote in the stuff sac for my tarp doors. This worked out perfect. In the rain it would be a problem but just snow is fine:
http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o117/KC8QVO/Backpacking%20Stuff/IMG_1274_zpsd8803803.jpg
The question is how good that thing is anyway.

Temps last night:
http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o117/KC8QVO/Backpacking%20Stuff/IMG_1267_zpsee2fd746.jpg

If that was at least somewhat accurate at that point it is a good indicator of the temp difference in/out of the hammock. I had that unit resting in the gear loft on the side.

Ryn8tor
01-25-2014, 21:59
Steve,
Sorry to hear about your return trip issues with the the wind. While the wind made for a lot of adversity for the whole outing, it provided opportunity to pick up on and demonstrate skills. I definitely learned a lot on the outing and will be adding a few more things to bring on future winter outings.

Stove Man Dan, thanks for the wood pellet idea. Though the wind didn't make for a warm fire, it surely helped liven the fire up. I'll use the wood pellets in future campfires.

Given the fact that tonight was a winter weather advisory, I'm sure we made the right choice to get out of there. I'll post a few pictures later on.

rookiehanger
01-25-2014, 22:34
Thanks for the pictures. I'll build the snow up around my tarp if the winds are as bad next time I camp out in cold temps. If you want to try again in about a month, come out to my clubs park Feb 22.

MagicPaddler
01-26-2014, 07:19
KC
Thanks for the pictures. Last week I was considering joining you guys and was doing a test setup in the yard. I could not get my tarp closed up like yours is in the pictures. How big/what kind of tarp is that?
Sounds like you had and adventure. It would have been much better if the wind had not been so strong.
Hope JC’s F.I.L. is OK.
Stay warm!

KC8QVO
01-26-2014, 10:33
The tarp is a Big Mamajamba from Warbonnet. The doors are a separate option. I believe they make one with sewn-on doors, which would be a whole lot better for a variety of reasons - mainly you don't have the bungee chords stringing the length of the tarp to connect each side (long ways, not across the ends) and there is no "gap" between them on the sides and the main part of the tarp for wind to push itself through. Hard to explain without seeing it.

I just browsed their product lineup again and it looks like the Superfly is the one with sewn-on doors. They have additional tie-out points on the Mamajamba now too so you can get some more room inside. That would be nice.

MagicPaddler
01-26-2014, 13:40
Thanks KC. You must be stringing the tarp lower than I thought you were. What was your head room in the middle of the tarp? I will guess 3 Ft.

KC8QVO
01-26-2014, 14:39
Head room? There wasn't any. You have to crawl through pretty much. If you want head room go get a cabin tent that weighs 80lbs+.

The bottom of the hammock was right at the snow on the ground. Most say to hang the hammocks to where your legs bend over at the edge like you are sitting in a chair. That isn't possible how I had it rigged. If I did that I would have a huge gap all the way around the tarp on the bottom - which is how it usually is. In this case, the object was low and sealed. Head room and height weren't on the radar.

KC8QVO
01-26-2014, 14:44
On second thought...

If you want the same affect and have the height/head room in the conditions we were in you could do it.

What you would do is hang the tarp and hammock how you normally would. Then pile up the snow to sufficiently cover the bottom of the tarp. This would require filling in underneath the hammock/tarp some also. Once the snow is built up pack it some and let it settle. Then add some more and pack it, let it settle. After that - go back in under the tarp and dig out the snow inside. If the snow is like what we had it will hold its shape/structure as you dig it out - if you are careful not to break out chunks that stick together.

That would be a lot of work though.

MagicPaddler
01-26-2014, 16:46
Thanks KC. I see a couple of ways to do it now. When I was setting up the wind was blowing so hard the snow would have blown away.

Ryn8tor
01-26-2014, 19:43
Here's some more photo's:

rookiehanger
01-26-2014, 20:32
Thanks for ideas. I have the Mambajamba tarp, wasnt sure what the Big Mambajamba was. Anyways I ordered the Superfly and should be here in next couple days. I like the sewn on door option. I will remember to build the snow pile around shelter higher to keep out the wind and still hang properly.

KC8QVO
01-26-2014, 21:13
I think the Mamajamba is the same tarp, just the updated one with the panel pulls. Mine doesn't have panel pulls (as you can see in the pictures).

I don't know if I would have bought the Superfly at the time with the sewn on doors even if I did think about it, however. Having two tarps for options, sure, that would be real nice. I just see more versatility with the optional doors so I have a single tarp solution. Set up time with the door kit is about double the set up time without, though, and the seal is a lot better with a sewn joint vs. layered material and shock chord.

I am also a big fan of having "cover" - which is why I got such a big tarp and that is all I ever use. We use it as a camp shelter sometimes, also. I was in southern Ohio a couple years ago and got camp set up just as a storm was starting to come through. So we just congregated under the tarp, cooked dinner, ate, and all the while it was pouring out.

Now... how the guys with the tiny diamond shape tarps that barely cover the hammock do it I'll never know. There is no way to keep anything dry underneath - which is where all my gear goes (boots, pack, clothes, tools, etc - food sometimes, if it isn't hanging in a bear bag when necessary).

Jcavenagh
01-27-2014, 12:08
Nice pics, guys.

The F-I-L is OK. He's 88. He had a subdural hematoma a couple years ago after a similar fall and ended up having brain surgery. Now, when he falls we always get him fully checked out.