PDA

View Full Version : 3 wks on AT in my hammock = great!

Red Hat
05-07-2009, 19:20
So I headed out April 17th with my Warbonnet Blackbird, my OES MacCat Spinnul Standard tarp, my landau pad (40x60), and my 20 degree WM bag. I used my hammock every night except when in town. Temps ranged from the 20s to the 80s. I had rain, snow, heat, and cold. All in all, the system worked very well. I had one night that I couldn't get the tarp tight enough to the hammock due to a huge rock blocking where my stakes should have been, so I got wet around the edges. But I learned my lesson and know that if it's wet, I need that tarp down tight. I was comfortable in all temps. When it was cold, I crawled into the bag. When it was warm, I used the bag as a quilt, or not at all. One night I spent in an RV campground and attracted a lot of attention since most people had not seen anything like my setup. The only change that I might consider is trimming the pad to the shape of the hammock, since it kind of "tacos" around me a bit. I have to say thanks to all who gave me advice on this forum. I owe you big time! I won't venture out on the AT again without my hammock! If you'd like to read details of my trip, I'm on www.trailjournals.com/Redhat (click on the 2009 journal)

Knotty
05-07-2009, 19:57
That's great. Inspires me to get out there!

SmokeHouse
05-07-2009, 20:01
Sounds like a great time... I've been looking at the BB. do you have the single or double?

kayak karl
05-07-2009, 20:11
:D:D:D Glad to here it:D:D:D
KK

TinaLouise
05-07-2009, 22:19
I very much enjoyed reading your journal pages and looking at the pictures. It makes me want to do the .... Oh I Wish I Could Do That....
one day....
thanks for allowing us to share in your adventures

Wags
05-09-2009, 10:31
awesome man! i'm about to do the same thing here in a week! 3 weeks on the AT in a claytor and OES tarp

neo
05-09-2009, 10:35
:)thats awesome,hammocks rock:cool:neo

Perkolady
05-09-2009, 18:28
Wow that's great you got to go! Man, you really had quite a range of weather and temps to test out!

Thanks for posting your journal. I really enjoy it!

Perkolady

trigger hurt
05-09-2009, 22:38
Good stuff.

About the pad trimming. I don't mind the taco factor that much. It's like being wrapped in a cocoon of soft, squishy foam. it means that the edges of my pad and sleeping bag overlap a bit. since I seem to roll around in my sleep, this is a good thing.

but now I have a top quilt and uq on the way. I'll be sad to have to cut my pad down to much smaller, but only for a minute or two.

UncleMJM
05-09-2009, 23:18
Great trip report - you've got me wanting to head to the mountains.

Red Hat
05-10-2009, 10:14
Sounds like a great time... I've been looking at the BB. do you have the single or double?

Originally I planned to get the single to save weight, but I ended up getting the double since I use a pad. The pad fits between the two layers and makes for much more comfortable sleeping.

Red Hat
05-10-2009, 10:17
Great trip report - you've got me wanting to head to the mountains.
Man, College Station is hotter than blazes! Nothing in Texas can compare with hiking the Appalachian Trail. I head over at least once a year to get my fix. Now, I'm a native Texan, and I love my state, but hiking here is near torture!

HappyCamper
05-10-2009, 17:40
Red Hat, thanks for the Trail Journal link. Loved reading about your trip.

PS
05-10-2009, 20:46
Rehat ~ What section did you do?

Swoosh ~ What section are you going to do?

I'm going out for a week May 22nd. Planning to go from 19E to Grayson Highlands.
Looking forward to using my BB!

goodcaver
05-11-2009, 00:37
Does the pad between the layers cut down on sweat accumulation? I find my rear end getting sweaty when I use a landau foam pad...

FishBone
05-11-2009, 07:39
Great report, Red Hat. Been following your journals for the past few years.

Q: how do you pack your 40x60 pad in your Circuit? I've always had trouble compressing the pad enough to make things fit.

thanks.

Red Hat
05-11-2009, 18:19
TheRev: I did from VA42 at Ceres to Blue Ridge Parkway mile 51.7 (planned on to the Tye River, but got stormed out)
Goodcave: no sweat with it between the layers
Fishbone: I fold it in half (20x60) and roll it up, then use stretch cord around it and put it in a kitchen garbage bag and push it into the mesh outside part of my Circuit.

DeShazo
05-12-2009, 14:56
RedHat, it was awesome reading your trail journal. What an adventure. Sorry to hear about your friends son and I appreciate your son's sacrifice to our country as well.

Shug
05-16-2009, 10:17
Hey Redhat .... I am really enjoying your trail journal! Short, concise and well versed. Glad you are a hammock gal.
Stay Vigilant and secure!
Shug
PS .. I love bluegrass gospel music and loved to read about you listening to Elvis as you hiked in the piney woods...

T-Dubs
05-17-2009, 20:33
Thanks for the link to your journal. Sounds like a great trip

TW