PDA

View Full Version : Thunderbird ordered

bigsilver
12-29-2013, 09:43
Just ordered a 11'x60" thunderbird double with 1.9 foliage gray on the inside and atacs AU on the outside. Black overcover and whoopsies. Now just the wait. Hoping to have it for my annual "birthday hang". I would like to think Randy for all his help helping me deciding on what hammock was right for me and also thanks to all the people on this subforum for the discussion and pic.

Divigation
12-29-2013, 10:40
Mine is in production, I am dying for January and my first hang in my new Thunderbird. I am certain that we will be extremely happy.

Mescudi
12-30-2013, 02:20
Just saw that mine is in progress...I can't freaking wait!

Tbuck
12-30-2013, 02:54
Can't wait to hear the reports

ADKrella
12-31-2013, 16:33
Just ordered a 11'x60" thunderbird double with 1.9 foliage gray on the inside and atacs AU on the outside. Black overcover and whoopsies. Now just the wait. Hoping to have it for my annual "birthday hang". I would like to think Randy for all his help helping me deciding on what hammock was right for me and also thanks to all the people on this subforum for the discussion and pic.

Hey man congrats.
Its the one I'm thinking of.
Love the idea of removable net and top cover.
Any Idea of the weight of the over cover?

Yankee
12-31-2013, 17:45
I ordered mine 4-5 days ago. I am avoiding to look at my progress for the surprise factor when it comes in the mail lol call me weird, but I enjoy the excitement.

bigsilver
12-31-2013, 19:09
I am really looking forward to the TB. Currently I have a eno double with bug net and pro tarp, a grand trunk single with eno bug net and cheap tarp, and a grand trunk ultralight. The GT single is going to the wife, the eno setup is going to my oldest boy and we still have to finish out the youngest boys rig.

bigsilver
01-23-2014, 08:35
Order #751 is going to arrive today! Luckily I have tomorrow off to play around with it. Pics soon!

Cali
01-23-2014, 09:20
Congrats!!!! I love my ThunderBird. It will be flying proudly this weekend at the Frozen Butt Hang in Columbia, SC. :thumbup:

arczeneb
01-23-2014, 10:26
Congrats!!!! I love my ThunderBird. It will be flying proudly this weekend at the Frozen Butt Hang in Columbia, SC. :thumbup:

#747 is on approach and should land scheduled for today hopeful if delayed tomorrow on my door step

ihavea4
01-23-2014, 11:31
i'm curious, why did you guys pick the thunderbird? i looked through all the dream hammocks, and i'm considering the roaming gnome now because its cheaper and i figure i don't need an overcover. what sold you on the thunderbird?

Cali
01-23-2014, 11:58
The detachable overcover and net. Though I don't detach mine for fear of losing it. :eek: :rolleyes:

I love the overcover to keep the heat in, and sometimes partially zipped to keep the sun out of my eyes when I want to nap. :thumbup:

bigsilver
01-23-2014, 13:13
i'm curious, why did you guys pick the thunderbird? i looked through all the dream hammocks, and i'm considering the roaming gnome now because its cheaper and i figure i don't need an overcover. what sold you on the thunderbird?

I wanted the flexibility of the overcover and the bugnet so that put me into a DB but I also wanted to be able to remove both if not needed so the logical choice was the TB. I looked at the RG before deciding on the TB and really liked it, but wanted a 4 season hammock. I thought the RG would make a great gift for my wife for our anniversary this year (and a lightweight summer model for me).

bigsilver
01-29-2014, 15:12
Got to spend a little time outside in the thunderbird today. Was able to take about a 1.5 hr nap using just the AHE jarbidge under quilt and the over cover. Oh yeah temp was 16.

SteveJJ
02-02-2014, 23:52
I've slept in my DB72 all but a dozen nights since I got it in September 2012. It has held up so well I don’t have a real excuse to get a Thunderbird, but I really want one! I'm envious of your getting them, and may have to order one even though the DB72 is perfectly fine. Randy has great designs and top notch workmanship. I'm sure you'll be as happy with your hammock as I am with mine.

If not, throw it my way, ok?

For those wondering about the over cover, I find that the temp inside the cover is 15-20 higher than outdoors without wind at 10F, and not in sunshine. I worried about hypoxia, but it didn't seem to be a problem. I left the end by my head unzipped by about 4" so there could be some air exchange and less condensation maybe, so the temp difference might have been higher without the unzipped end. I'm sure a warmer TQ would weigh lots more and take up more pack space, not to mention cost, so the cover is a very good useful idea.

Now if he made a bottom cover for a winter sock sort of contraption....!

DeRozea
02-05-2014, 06:46
ohh I like that atacs au pattern. if only it was in a 2.3 for a single layer. sigh

Gadgets
02-05-2014, 06:56
Love my Thunderbird in Atacs-AU! Only been able to hang in my yard so far but having the overcover definitely makes a difference.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/02/05/apy2abe3.jpg

bigsilver
02-05-2014, 09:24
Nice hammock Gadgets. I didn't think about the color matched over cover.

Gadgets
02-05-2014, 09:26
Nice hammock Gadgets. I didn't think about the color matched over cover.

Thanks! It's a little more weight but I don't mind. It looks good.