PDA

View Full Version : Snowshoe Overnighter in Southern ADK's

SignalFire
12-30-2013, 08:56
So I'm considering doing my first winter overnighter. I'm thinking like late January for the timing. I live in the Southern Adirondacks and I'm looking to stay local. Maybe a mile or so of snowshoeing in and then a one night hang. I've done a TON of reading and research and I know what I'm getting in to.

So my reason for posting is that everyone of my friends thinks I'm crazy. Is there anyone local who would be interested in coming along? Maybe some other first time winter hangers? Probably hit a trail somewhere near Wells NY or Speculator. Any interest?

DuctTape
12-30-2013, 09:11
Lots of great places in those areas. I might be available. I am already committed for a January trip, and SWMBO doesn't let me go two weekends in a row. So it depends on when you are going. PM me. Feb is also a possibility. Even if I can't go with, I can suggest a few places.

ADKrella
12-30-2013, 09:18
Hey man ....not crazy...sounds awesome.
I don't have any gear yet but coming to some conclusions soon.
I'm way north but will travel once I get it sorted.
:)

SignalFire
12-30-2013, 09:52
While I definitely don't have "proper gear" for winter camping, that I know. But I'm pretty sure that I can piece some stuff together that will work and also that's why I'd like to keep the hike short, worst case scenario if all else failed there is safety a mere mile away at the truck. Although, I've got a pretty strong will and I don't give up easy...

Definitely going to do a test hang in the woods behind the house prior to the trip.

OneClick
12-30-2013, 10:55
Sounds like a good time! The important thing is to get your underside dialed in - having a cold back all night is miserable. On the other hand, keeping your topside is easy with clothing, coat, sleeping bag, hot water bottle, etc.

Nighthauk
12-30-2013, 21:25
Depending on where and when I would be interested. A group
of us have gone up to Stratton pond in Vt last year.

ugnK1Rdoo8I

adkphoto
12-31-2013, 08:07
Not crazy at all. winter camping is awesome.

I might be interested, so keep me posted on the date and location.

It will be good for you to have an experienced winter camper along, because things are just a little different in the cold.

You may also want to do a back yard test. Supposed to get pretty cold this week, so it will be a good test of your equipment.

David

SignalFire
12-31-2013, 15:05
Not crazy at all. winter camping is awesome.

I might be interested, so keep me posted on the date and location.

It will be good for you to have an experienced winter camper along, because things are just a little different in the cold.

You may also want to do a back yard test. Supposed to get pretty cold this week, so it will be a good test of your equipment.

David

Unfortunately I'll be in the Bahamas during this cold spell... Wait... Unfortunately?

12trysomething
12-31-2013, 15:41
Interested as well. I have a friend who would as well I believe. If you set a firm date I will let you know.

It sounds like we may have enough interest for a group hang here. That would be fun.

Crawfish
12-31-2013, 22:43
Sounds like fun I am in what's the date and location ????
:D

Veto 65
01-01-2014, 22:07
Yea, I like the idea of the back yard hang first. But if your willing to go I'm game.

I'll keep an eye on this thread.

How about the Northville Lake Placid trail? There is several places to go along the trail starting from your car. Just throwing out an idea.

SignalFire
01-02-2014, 09:08
Okay, so this is a much larger response than I expected! Even in my own world I'm getting takers. What is everyone's availability in early/mid March? March 8/9 or 15/16?

12trysomething
01-02-2014, 10:33
Okay, so this is a much larger response than I expected! Even in my own world I'm getting takers. What is everyone's availability in early/mid March? March 8/9 or 15/16?

Nice. I would suggest changing the name of this thread or starting a new one titled for the date and location.

I would be fine with the NPT suggestion, possibly Upper Benson to Rock Lake? Only downside is the distance, for any first timers we may want to be no more than 2 miles from car/shelter.

I am open to others as well.

Thanks

DuctTape
01-02-2014, 10:59
Nice. I would suggest changing the name of this thread or starting a new one titled for the date and location.

I would be fine with the NPT suggestion, possibly Upper Benson to Rock Lake? Only downside is the distance, for any first timers we may want to be no more than 2 miles from car/shelter.

I am open to others as well.

Thanks

Shorter distance from car along the NPT would be:
Piseco to Buckhorn Lk
Wakely Dam to Cedar River flow (or just stay in the wakely area)
Caitlin Bay area along Long Lake
Easier due to trail conditions (but about 3 miles in) would be from Lake Durant to Stephens or cascade Pond (bonus Lean-to for those who need to bail from hammock).
The Adks have no shortage of options. :)

desmobob
01-06-2014, 22:20
I'd be up for a trip, but I'm working Saturdays in March. :(

Maybe next time! Hope you have fun!

Take it easy,
desmobob

NY_Rocking_Chairs
01-17-2014, 08:51
I would be interested, never been on a group hang before (been on group trips, especially the NTP, but was always the only hanger). Can't make it the 8/9th but the 15/16th would be a possibility.

Suede
01-17-2014, 09:03
Tagging for interest. Both of those march dates would be good for me. Might try to tie it to a Friday trip to gore for some snowboarding. Early//mid February is also good. Dying to use snowshoes this year.

12trysomething
02-04-2014, 06:40
Any continued interest in this?

Spurr
02-04-2014, 07:58
Depending on where and when I would be interested. A group
of us have gone up to Stratton pond in Vt last year.

ugnK1Rdoo8I

Just happened upon this thread and watched your video, very nice trip and that loft hang was pretty cool..

Nighthauk
02-04-2014, 08:04
Thanks for watching. That trip sure was blast.

NY_Rocking_Chairs
02-04-2014, 08:52
I am still interested, but am waiting to see what my ski schedule will be in March (I will have to be there one Saturday in March for ski patrol, but not sure what Saturday it will be yet).

Redpath
02-04-2014, 09:19
So I'm considering doing my first winter overnighter. I'm thinking like late January for the timing. I live in the Southern Adirondacks and I'm looking to stay local. Maybe a mile or so of snowshoeing in and then a one night hang. I've done a TON of reading and research and I know what I'm getting in to.

So my reason for posting is that everyone of my friends thinks I'm crazy. Is there anyone local who would be interested in coming along? Maybe some other first time winter hangers? Probably hit a trail somewhere near Wells NY or Speculator. Any interest?

It depends, do your friends just think you are "crazy" or do they think your idea is crazy?

SignalFire
02-19-2014, 21:51
Okay so I think I'm nearly ready to do this. Destination is the Kane Mtn fire tower. Its in Caroga Lake NY. Its a mild hike of about 0.75 miles to a fire tower and abandoned ranger cabin. I'm not ready to hang in the winter so I plan to stay in the cabin. There should be plenty of room for others who would prefer it. Make no mistake, the cabin is essentialy an enclosed log lean to... What does everyones schedule look like for March?