PDA

View Full Version : Well, it looks like I'm next!...But first a ?

optimator
05-12-2009, 13:02
I received an email from Brandon yesterday. He told me at my weight (200 ish) I could go with either the 1.1 or the 1.7. And I'm going with a double layer whichever one I decide on. What do you all suggest? Is there any reason other than the weight savings to go one way or the other?

shrek
05-12-2009, 13:15
I just ordered the double layer 1.7. I'm a bit heavier than you, but I would probably order this one anyway, just for the strength. One week down, 2 more to go. Sew faster, Brandon! :lol:

Cannibal
05-12-2009, 13:57
How important is weight to you? My guess is that the double 1.7 is going to be a wee bit flatter even around the 200 lb mark. Unless weight is a critical issue for you, I'd say go for the 1.7. If weight is a big issue, the double 1.1 will still be very comfortable. I am comfortable in my double 1.1 and I've got about 25 pounds on you. I like my double 1.7 better.

SmokeHouse
05-12-2009, 14:07
Brandon is a very busy guy... I too just order the double 1.7 and will take 3 weeks... worth the wait... I got to get busy sewing another tarp for this one...

DeShazo
05-12-2009, 15:03
optimator, I am 5' 11" and 195 lbs. I have a double 1.7 and a double 1.1. while they are both very comfortable, like Cannibal said, I get a slightly flatter lay in the 1.7. So if weight is not an issue, IMO the 1.7 has a slight edge over the 1.1

optimator
05-13-2009, 12:24
Well, a 1.7 double with ring suspension it is!

shrek
05-13-2009, 13:29
Can't go wrong with that. Waiting impatiently for mine to get finished.

Quoddy
05-13-2009, 15:17
Although I'm a true gram weenie, I listened to those who had laid in their BB. At 195 I could have gone either way, but went with the double 1.7 just because of the extra flatness/comfort. After laying in it, I'm glad I did. Although my only real experience was with another brand, a single 1.7, it isn't as comfortable as the new BB double 1.7.

pizza
05-13-2009, 17:04
Man Brandon must be making hammocks full time with all of these posts by new BB buyers.

gRaFFiX
05-13-2009, 18:51
what is the diff between a single and a double?? just for a pad to slide under or extra insulation? prolly a stupid question but i'm saving for my BB.

Cannibal
05-14-2009, 00:49
Primary intent is a method to secure a pad. They are not only more comfortable used in a double layer, but the pad stays still better too. A huge side-benefit is the way it reduces the stretch that is a given when using nylon. Tends to make a pretty big difference if you are a heavier person.

gRaFFiX
05-14-2009, 19:13
So if I intend to use an underquilt, instead of a pad, and I only weigh 175, would it make scense to go for the single layer to save weight, or does the double layer make that much more of a difference? I only ask cause of the weight factor and I despise pads. They're for ground dwellers IMHO.

gRaFFiX
05-16-2009, 14:29
Anybody? Hello?

Quoddy
05-16-2009, 14:45
In my rather limited WB experience, you could well get by with a single 1.7. I'm 195 and my Speer with it's single 1.7 allows a tiny bit more stretch than I'd prefer. I only ordered the double 1.7 so that I'd be very flat, and that how it worked out. I'll seldom use a pad except in the lower leg and foot area (it's my virtual pack frame) along with a Yeti, but at least the double makes that work really well. According to Brandon, the double 1.7 (35.5oz with straps) is just under 7oz more than the single, if that helps.

NorseAmerican
05-16-2009, 14:51
So if I intend to use an underquilt, instead of a pad, and I only weigh 175, would it make scense to go for the single layer to save weight, or does the double layer make that much more of a difference? I only ask cause of the weight factor and I despise pads. They're for ground dwellers IMHO.

Go for the 1.1 double or 1.7 single. I like the double for having options. I use my 1.7 double which at my current weight feel more comfortable than if in a 1.1, but your weight should be just fine. Carry a pad to sit on, that way, just in case there are no trees to hang you are covered;) I plan on using a pad and UQ for winter use which saves me from having to buy both a 3 season and 4 season UQ-practicality, as foam is cheaper than down.

Coldspring
05-16-2009, 14:51
You can toss some things in between layers and forget about them. I throw in my stuffs for the hammock, sleeping bag, and underquilt. It just seems handy to do so. The double layer will stop the mosquitoes from biting through to, so I'm told, I'm actually looking forward to finding out this summer. It seems that it would add a little warmth in the form of blocking wind, but I don't know. At your weight, you don't need to worry about the double 1.7, just get double 1.1. My double 1.1 with straps and the stuff is 28 oz.

gRaFFiX
05-16-2009, 15:00
Is there a thread that explains the difference between fabrics and the layers?

gRaFFiX
05-16-2009, 15:05
wow! ask and you shall recieve. Thanx for the answers. It looks like the concensus is that the double allows for more options and is worth the weight as opposed to a single 1.1

XedgeX
05-17-2009, 20:16
Sup all!!!!
Newbie here, recently discovered the wonderful world of hammocking. The funny part is I though it was an orginal idea to camp using a hammock instead of a tent..lol jokes on me. Anyway in my search for ideas naturally i found hammockforums.net which in turn lead me to Brandon's BlackBird warbonnet. Odered mine last week. Went with the 1.7 double layer. Can't wait to get it, still got about two weeks to go. Anyway just wanted to introduce myself and say Hi.

DeShazo
05-17-2009, 21:58
You are gonna love it XedgeX. Welcome to the forum and the Blackbird gang.

warbonnetguy
05-18-2009, 09:43
a 175 # could def go single 1.7 if looking to go lighter, the dl 1.1 has the pad optionand is probably a hair flatter for someone that size

gRaFFiX
05-18-2009, 22:58
So warbonnetguy, is the single 1.1 for someone smaller, say a woman? I'm not sure, and I only ask because the weight savings look nice in text.

lori
05-18-2009, 23:26
what is the diff between a single and a double?? just for a pad to slide under or extra insulation? prolly a stupid question but i'm saving for my BB.

It's a pad pocket. Also the double layer contributes to a flatter position in the hammock. If you don't plan on using the pad or don't care about putting the pad in the hammock with you, you can get by without.

gRaFFiX
05-18-2009, 23:36
Yeah buddy! I plan on using an underquilt, so a single for my size I think is adequate

warbonnetguy
05-19-2009, 11:55
Yeah buddy! I plan on using an underquilt, so a single for my size I think is adequate

single 1.1 would hold you fine , but will stretch alot with that much weight as will any other brand of single layer 1.1 nylon. if you're only a back sleeper you might be ok as you can bend that way no problem, but less flatness will be more noticable when laying on your side as you'll get hip torque if it's not flat enough. if i were you and wanted to save some weight i'd go sl1.7. (alot flatter/more support than sl1.1 and still lighter than the dl1.1) i usually only recommend sl1.1 to folks under 140 or if folks are back sleepers only and really looking to shed oz.