PDA

View Full Version : Hiking with an Umbrella

Dos
01-09-2014, 10:05
http://francistapon.com/Travels/Advice/10-Reasons-to-Go-Hiking-and-Backpacking-with-an-Umbrella

Ratdog
01-09-2014, 11:02
Interesting article.
Found myself having to try to keep an open mind even while reading it.

The author has covered enough trail miles with an umbrella to overcome any objections I might have made, even so, something inside me resists.

In the end, I did click a couple of the links.

Maybe because I hike shorter distances rather than long distance, I just don't feel the urge to try it. A couple days of rain has never bothered me and I've not hiked enough ground for the sun to bother me that much.

Still, an interesting, thought provoking read, thx Dos.

Dos
01-09-2014, 11:05
I think I am going to try this.
Suns hats are WAYY too hot and rain jackets make me sweat profusely.

I saw a couple of people who found a way to attach them to their packs and
thus able to use their hiking poles.

Two Tents
01-09-2014, 11:06
I have two of the Camel back tube traps on each shoulder strap to fasten it down. They work sweet with the umbrella for securing it hands free.

Nighthauk
01-09-2014, 11:10
I read that article a month or two ago and decided to try one. The price point is not so outrageous that it will kill my wallet to try it and if it works there are a lot of benefits to it. So I received one for Christmas present. A Golite Crome. Haven't had a chance to use it or weigh it yet. I am hoping it works. My son and I will be on the trail for 2 weeks at Philmont Scout Ranch in July. So I am hoping the quick deploying factor helps for those sudden rain storms.

frenchycamp
01-09-2014, 11:17
I've used umbrellas a few times on backpacking trips. They work well but in the end I'm not convinced I want to carry the extra weight. The only time i was REALLY glad to have mine was in a 2 hour grape size hail storm!!!

Heelbilly
01-09-2014, 11:23
I enjoyed that article. Good find and thanks for sharing.

I am going to give it a try this year backpacking. I have mastered the art of navigating the woods with a huge golf umbrella on my daily, regardless of conditions, walk with my dogs. I hardly ever wear a rain jacket and return home only damp from the knees down after a couple of hours of steady rain or snow. I do dislike the weight of the golf umbrella so that Golite looks like my choice.

Polkster13
01-09-2014, 11:27
I have though of getting an umbrella but I am one of those that don't want to give up my trekking poles. Maybe I should just give it a try and see how I like it. The expense of the umbrella is negligible and if I decide not to use it backpacking, then I still have a nice umbrella for everyday use. I really like the GoLite and will probably pick up one soon and let you know what I think after I have had a chance to use it.

Law Dawg (ret)
01-09-2014, 11:30
Not sure this guy is right in the head...he sleeps on the ground. :scared:

Dos
01-09-2014, 11:52
I have two of the Camel back tube traps on each shoulder strap to fasten it down. They work sweet with the umbrella for securing it hands free.

I am SOOOO going to try this!! :boggle:
Thank you :)

Dos
01-09-2014, 11:53
Not sure this guy is right in the head...he sleeps on the ground. :scared:

good one ;) :lol:

pgibson
01-09-2014, 12:03
First Golite product I bought the year they started business....99 or 2000 ish....was their umbrella. At the time it was not the reflective chrome version, they had not come out with that one yet. I used it off and on for a few years and liked it reasonably well. Still have it but it's been a while since I have taken it hiking. The article was very well written, good find.

Turtle Creek
01-09-2014, 12:13
AT 2011: We were dropped off in the rain and it was cold out - forecast called for heavy rain all day. As we bundled up and put our packs on for the long haul, we were protected from the rain since we were under the lifted rear hatch of my fathers Explorer. He sat in the drivers seat and must have thought on some level "what kind of idiot did I raise." Looking at me through the rear view mirror, he simply said "why don't you take that umbrella right there". Something made me say OK. I can only guess I agreed to take it to keep him from going insane. We'd be picked up three days later and I knew he'd be expecting it back. So I used it that entire day and carried it the rest of the way. I still got soaked, but I was not as bad as my buddy. We were doing short stretches and sleeping at just about every shelter we came to. The extra weight wasn't too bad, and the look on other hikers faces was priceless. The article is correct -they politely ask about the umbrella but are secretly thinking ... what an idiot. Though the pic below may not look like it. It did help and made life a little better. Especially after we got dried and changed at the shelter, but then went out for water, to the 'privy', etc... That's when I appreciated it the most.
http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa108/gofish427/Appalachian%20Trail%20%20April%202011/20140109_112640_zpsbdd21965.jpg (http://s199.photobucket.com/user/gofish427/media/Appalachian%20Trail%20%20April%202011/20140109_112640_zpsbdd21965.jpg.html)
Here we stopped to eat lunch. This is the only photo I could find and had to take a picture of the picture with my phone.

Was it worth the weight the other two days, maybe not, but we still talk about it and that's worth it right there. Good times, good stories, and good friends.

MightyMouse
01-09-2014, 12:22
Happily use my little umbrella. Others may laugh and sneer...but if I get wet it's from rain, not more sticky stinky sweat. I use only one hiking stick when deploying umbrella, haven't regretted the decision yet.

IRONFISH45
01-09-2014, 12:41
Well I grew up in Western Oregon, it was frowned upon to use an umbrella. So I just never owned one. Then I moved to the south, it rained it was hot and humid, I bought my first umbrella.

So now I have been all over North America, back in Oregon, I really hate the rain and the gray days. I bought one of the Golite Chrome umbrella's I love it. I use it to keep the sun off, the rain. I figure I could use it as a signal device if I get in trouble on the trail.

I was reading one or Ray Jardine's books, he went into great detail about umbrella's and how great they are. He gave all sorts of info about getting rid of all excess weight. Interesting reading, he really was ahead of his time. I get sort of sick when I remember how beautiful he was in motion while climbing. Too bad we all get older, I tend to forget how experienced in life I am getting until I look at current images of old friends.

nyhiker50
01-09-2014, 13:17
Let's face it. In some cases an umbrella can be a pain. try going up or down a hill that requires you to use your hands. Think of the picture of someone using an umbrella and a hiking pole at the same time. It might work, but it depends on the situation. I use my rain jacket for many other purposes, such as wind breaker, shell in cold weather and for keeping the bugs off when I'm in the hammock.

berksound
01-09-2014, 14:02
Great article! Thank you Dos. I'd like to try one with the little shock cord/cord lock DIY thing the author linked to: http://packandpaddle.blogspot.com/2009/03/how-to-attach-umbrella-to-your-pack.html

I like the idea of windblock for cooking, closing off an end of your tarp, and a screen for peeing ! woo hoo!

Michelle the Camper
01-13-2014, 14:51
I love having an umbrella on the trail. I would love to upgrade my little $6 Wal-mart umbrella for a Go Lite Chrome Dome, but until then...I'll keep on trucking. In the shade, and out of the rain.

Country Roads
01-14-2014, 19:24
I decided to give umbrellas a try this year. I just picked up one made by Frogg Toggs. Cost was $10 and weight is 8 1/2 ounces. It is listed as a travel umbrella and does look reasonably durable.

stephen_q
01-15-2014, 11:52
Crawlingroad on youtube advocates a wilderness umbrella... Nutn'fancy has a video on the Blunt Umbrellas which are real quality. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vgvZQohdFs

DaleW
01-15-2014, 13:48
Umbrellas are the ultimate breathable rain gear and great for those humid drizzly days where the choice is get wet from drizzle or get wet from sweat in your rain gear. They can be handy in camp while cooking, etc.

I don't like the idea of fastening it to my pack and just use one pole when in umbrella mode. Use any medium size umbrella to test, but it's pretty hard to beat the Golite for weight/cost/function. Birdiepal makes some good ones. Montbell makes one that looks like a big cigar when stowed---- really small. Shedrain makes the Shedrays silvered sun umbrella with wind vents in it (works for rain too). Stows to 12" but it weighs 13oz. You can find them at places like Target and Walmart.

I carry the Golite in a side pocket and under a compression strap like a tent pole. In fact, I just swap the umbrella with my spare pole.

kerryandjane
01-15-2014, 17:36
I have 2 of these Blunt umbrellas, a proud NZ brand they are.they're awesome but expensive. I have one of the discontinued brollies, the XL. It's pretty heavy duty. Their latest model metro seems lighter, but they ain't cheap at all.

psyon27
01-15-2014, 17:58
Yeah those Blunt umbrellas look sweet. I like that they can be inverted without beig damaged.

Ken

Dos
01-17-2014, 17:18
Crawlingroad on youtube advocates a wilderness umbrella... Nutn'fancy has a video on the Blunt Umbrellas which are real quality. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vgvZQohdFs

wow! liking those!

arczeneb
01-18-2014, 22:38
This is the one I use Travel 1pd 2oz of UV protection with a vented canopy. Also a Compact 13oz UV protection folds 10".

http://www.uv-blocker.com/uv-protection-travel-umbrella.html

jlink79
01-19-2014, 01:15
Stick from Stick's blog talks about it on his last hike
The hike
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBhDIZaEGlU&feature=youtube_gdata_player
The post hike
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzCEZsYXp38&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Not sure if it would work in Ohio with the narrow and thorny trails I seem to hike. I would also use this as an additional piece along with my rain jacket. I encounter to much blowing rain but after the storm when the forest is still dripping it would be nice.

snapper_hh
01-20-2014, 15:53
The first time I did take an umbrella with me, was on my PCT hike and used it for the first 700 miles. I must say, that I voted it my number one favorite item through the desert section, you can actually feel the temperature difference it makes. I also carried one on my section hike on the AT last year and must admit, that it comes in very handy during a light shower. I do not carry a hat and the rain in the eyes always annoyed me - it is so much better with a small travel umbrella!

The only setback is the hand that becomes occupied and when it gets stuck in dense woods. I actually stopped carrying a rain jacket, so there is no weight penalty for me.

I own and used these two umbrellas with the silver coating for sun protection:

Large umbrella with non-collapsible shaft:
http://www.euroschirm.com/schirm/liteflex/index.cgi?session=vko2uf5NhsKjY&sprache_land=englisch

Small umbrella with collapsible shaft, but not as sturdy:
http://www.euroschirm.com/schirm/Dainty/info.cgi?session=vko2uf5NhsKjY&sprache_land=englisch

I can recommend both of these. The Golite Chrome Dome is actually 99% similar to the first lnked umbrella...

Dos
01-20-2014, 18:30
Thank you everyone for all of your suggestions!!

jlink79
01-20-2014, 18:55
Snapper how much where those shipped to the US. 34£ is a lot plus shipping. Did like the kits to hold it while hiking both in use and stored.

Storytellertn
01-21-2014, 08:08
I saw several individuals on the AT with umbrella,s. The day we were out, I don't think that would have kept us dry. Monsoon!

Bubba
01-21-2014, 09:39
I was thankful to have one on my last backpacking trip when I had to answer nature's call.

snapper_hh
01-21-2014, 16:30
I think they are actually in the range of 45 USD with shipping. The issue is, that I ordered them back in germany, where there is no shipping charge. But at least the medium sized hiking umbrella is made by the same manufacturer as the golite one, which is 24.99 USD in their online store.
The issue is the non collapsible handle though, which actually sticks out from my ULA CDT pack - so depending on your pack you might rather want a collapsible one.

Of note is the diameter once opened up. The one with 39.4 in / 100 cm diameter is way better in keeping you and most of your pack dry. Any Diameter below that will keep part of the rain away, but your pack and your arms will get wet.

Linkster
01-23-2014, 15:48
This is an interesting idea. I definitely like having my hands free for my trekking poles. I am sure it worked for them, I just don't know if it is the right fit for me.

krshome
03-04-2014, 12:46
I saw that article a while back and was amped on trying an umbrella for backpacking. Thank god I didn't buy one! This weekend the family and I went on a short day hike and we knew it was going to rain. I grabbed a cheap small travel umbrella and off we went. Well it poured and the umbrella worked, well like an umbrella. The problem i found was if you hike in the wood it's going to hit every tree limb hanging over the trail. Not worth it for the east coast IMO. I did notice in the article now he was hiking where there was no trees.

fallkniven
03-04-2014, 19:26
http://oldstersview.files.wordpress.com/2007/11/umbrella-hat.jpg

jlink79
03-04-2014, 19:33
I see you and raise
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/05/qy6eru4a.jpg

krshome
03-04-2014, 19:53
http://oldstersview.files.wordpress.com/2007/11/umbrella-hat.jpg

That reminds me of the TV show from the eighties called Square Pegs.

Dos
05-15-2014, 16:34
so....I watched the video again today.
Definitely decided I didn't want a collapsible one.

Went to order one off of the Blunt site with the coupon from the video (nutnfancy).
I called customer service.
She generated a new code since that one expired.
Got $20 off plus free shipping.

Totally stoked!

caveat: have to agree with krshome about an umbrella hitting every branch on the East Coast.
but I am going to give it a go!

Nighthauk
05-15-2014, 17:24
I have done two hikes with a golite Crome dome. I got to say I am digging it. We had on and off rain for a couple of hours. When it stopped raining everyone started overheating so the stopped took off the packs and then their rain jackets put their packs back on and started again. When it started to rain they reversed the process. I was able to reach back to my circuit pull out the umbrella and deploy it without stopping. I put the handle behind my sternum strap and the little grip tie out behind a shoulder strap and it stayed there as I continued to hike still using both trekking poles. When it stopped raining I was able to collapse and stow it away without missing a beat. I did have to worry about some branches but not much.

Rolloff
05-16-2014, 17:07
I won't sacrifice my rain gear, especially in cooler weather, pulls too much double duty, but on summer hikes the umbrella works better for me.

mrmike65
05-16-2014, 22:12
Saw this the other day: http://www.outdoor-show.com/od-en/press/novelties-worldwide.php?lid=728&sMode=detail

agent00111
05-16-2014, 22:26
Hikingboots and I climbed Mt San Jacinto (calif) the other weekend. Part of the trail overlaps with the PCT so we saw a lot of thru hikers that day. One guy flew past us, looked like he was carrying a go lite umbrella and a GG pack, maybe a kumo. Thought he was a trail runner he was so fast. I asked him how the umbrella was working for him, he said it was a life saver in the earlier desert stretch. Also saw some sunburnt thru hikers as well that day. We don't get a lot of rain here in California but I could see myself getting a golite for sun protection more than rain.

Two Tents
05-16-2014, 23:04
This will be my third season for using a 'brella. I like it alot. Mine is the Snow Peak (yea, you read that right) it weighs 4.7 as stated by Snow Peak. For hands free I have Camelback tube traps, one on each shoulder strap so I can switch sides as needed and a Nitize twist tie that locks it down. I have had little trouble hitting trees but I am mostly on established trails when I hike. Bushwacking with a 'brella would be problematic.

Poedog
05-20-2014, 17:24
I'm taking a Chrome Dome on my AT SOBO in about three weeks. Love that thing to pieces.

OneClick
05-22-2014, 12:24
Not sure if it was mentioned in the previous 5 pages, but I wonder about using one of those big "golf" umbrellas.

The one I have is pretty heavy duty and fairly long, maybe close to 3'. If there was a way to extend it a little more, maybe it could be used as one of your hiking poles? Totally overkill when opened, but trying to see it from a dual use position.

Nighthauk
05-22-2014, 13:25
the thing you have to consider is that the wide the umbrella the wider the trail has to be as well. I have a golite Crome Dome and there have been some cases where I rubbed the ends on branches or squeezing in between two trees. So a larger umbrella would make that more likely depending on where you hike. I will be taking my cromedome to Philmont Scout ranch in July where I am sure I will not be worried about side obstacles as much.

Apeman1470
05-28-2014, 16:46
I laughed at the idea when I first heard of it. But, then I thought and figured I'd give it a go. So, 2 years ago I got an umbrella from GoLite. I used it on a 70 mile hike and it payed off. I got caught in a good storm that produces a significant amount of hail.

Poedog
05-29-2014, 06:25
the thing you have to consider is that the wide the umbrella the wider the trail has to be as well. I have a golite Crome Dome and there have been some cases where I rubbed the ends on branches or squeezing in between two trees. So a larger umbrella would make that more likely depending on where you hike. I will be taking my cromedome to Philmont Scout ranch in July where I am sure I will not be worried about side obstacles as much.

That's when the quick retract/deploy option comes into play. See a tight squeeze up ahead? Retract the brella a little. Anything tight enough to snag you then would be tight enough to snag a poncho, jacket, pack, etc. Like hammocks, the umbrella has a slight learning curve.

Nighthauk
05-29-2014, 06:35
My wife thought that I was insane for wanting one. She just took it on a 5/4 trip where it rained every day. She love the quick deploying and flexibility of it. I think that she is hooked.

brswan
06-04-2014, 09:04
I prefer a poncho for rain. Where I'm at, there's plenty of palm fronds for the umbrella if needed.

Aerobyrd93
06-04-2014, 18:16
I actually may have to try this one, but DEFINITELY going with a hands-free option 0.0

LazyMan
07-19-2014, 17:41
Convincing article, but I probably will just go on without one.

MAD777
07-19-2014, 18:32
I can see the benefits of an umbrella out west, but where I hike in dense eastern forests, there simply isn't enough room for one 90% of the time. I wish there was because all other rain solutions involve sweating.

Roadmarker
07-20-2014, 18:30
It just seems soooo British. :rolleyes:

Red Cinema
07-20-2014, 22:06
Actually tried this, the GoLite Chrome, West Rim Trail in PA, about 30 miles. Rain on Day 1 and I deployed the umbrella for about two hours. Very narrow trail through rhododendrons; so long as the umbrella could spin a bit, no problem. Very narrow places, just collapsed the umbrella a bit. 8 oz. so there is weight there (dang light in the context of umbrellas...but 8 oz on the trail is half a pound...). I did not attach it as described elsewhere, just held it--the thing is so light that didn't tire me out at all. I don't use hiking poles, and didn't hit any scramble sections requiring hand-work.

Still some contact water from wet underbrush, and solid wet from the ankles down from wet grass etc., but not sweaty hot from raingear (I draped mine over pack as additional water safety measure), and dry on top half.

Others here have mentioned how valuable an umbrella is for casual camp chores--I didn't need to use it this way, but I imagine it would have been useful in that role. In addition, I think it would be very handy in direct sun, but the West Rim Trail is almost entirely shaded, so I didn't get to test that aspect.

Worth it overall? I dunno. I do know I'm more willing to hit the day hike trail with it than I would with just regular rain gear. . . .

Oms
07-20-2014, 23:04
I've used one a few times and liked it, but I don't always bring it. Not sure why not? Feeling a little more inspired after watching the video. For the times I have used it, it worked well in a few different ways.

On and off rain leaves you in a predicament. Will it keep raining or will it stop. Sometimes you are already wet before you finally stop and put on rain gear. Then if it's warm out sweating occurs. It is one reason I switched to Frogg Toggs. Any other rain coat doesn't breath enough for me in warm to mild conditions. It can also help in a major downpour having two lines of defense. Rain always seems to find a way in.

Another good use was up in the mountains as a wind block. When a cool wind was blowing I had the umbrella up in front of my body, not above. I didn't have to put another layer on to keep my chest warm. Again it kept me from overheating on my back.

Being bald I need a hat. Hats are warm. It is much cooler to use when active. You can learn a lot by watching other cultures. I have seen many Central American women using umbrellas during the heat of the day. Why? Because it works. I also hate putting on sunscreen. My wife, who is very light complected, uses one when we walk at times. We use the GoLite Chrome Dome. They work very well, are durable, and are reasonably priced. I highly recommend them.

So now we can be even stranger. "Look at those crazy people hanging in hammocks, using umbrellas. What will they do next?"
It may not work in every situation, but they sure help in most.

The Mule
09-15-2014, 12:23
I have backpacked all over the Southern Appalachian Mtns. and never once did I see an umbrella in those woods or trails. As MAD777 said, no where near enough room. Then I went out for a month and half on a NOLS medical and outdoor certification class, and one of the instructors swears that an umbrella and a solid wind breaker soft shell is the cat's meow. All he would talk about during rain storms was his umbrella, I am still not sold on the idea but one day I think I will give it a try, upside is less sweating.

sargevining
09-15-2014, 16:44
I've made a couple trips with my Chrome Dome, neither of which rained while I was hiking, and both of which I was happy I'd brought it b/c at least a third of the trip was road walk in the Texas summer sun. But I bought it b/c I'd always get just as wet from sweat when wearing my poncho as would have had I just walked in the rain.

hvelowade
11-03-2014, 12:02
I was dubious but then read the article and he makes some good points. I think I'll try it on the next trip.

FireInMyBones
11-03-2014, 12:21
I just bought a Swing-Trek silver (Chrome Dome without logo). I can see myself enjoying this piece of kit. I'll report back after a few uses.

jlink79
11-03-2014, 19:22
Just checked at golite the Chrome Dome is out of stock and with the current state of Golite it most likely won't be back.

Nighthauk
11-03-2014, 19:34
I absolutely LOVE my Crome dome. I hiked out at Philmont scout ranch this summer with it. It was easy to deploy and stow away on the go. There was no over heating or stopping to put on and take off. The only thing it is not really good at is driving wind or rain.

bnkrtstk
11-05-2014, 09:05
I've kept an umbrella in my day pack for years for many of the reasons cited in the article.

StuckinPark
12-13-2014, 07:12
I've never considered an umbrella. Seems like a lot to carry, but never say never

Pshaw
12-13-2014, 08:15
I would substitute for a pack cover and a nice rain jacket

Downthere
12-13-2014, 17:33
On my backpacking trips through asia have used a cheap umbrella. In laos it rained so much that I learned to ride a bicycle and hold an umbrella at the same time just like the locals. It was great in the heat. When I didn't need it, i hooked into the side of my shorts whilst walking. When it rained hard i put it upside down and used it to collect water to fill up my water bottle.

Downthere
12-13-2014, 17:40
That reminds me of the TV show from the eighties called Square Pegs.
I saw these in cambodia, hilarious.

thierict
02-18-2015, 17:40
We don't get a lot of rain in CA but plenty of Sunshine and an umbrella would be nice.. The question is which one :)

sliggins1483
02-24-2015, 21:34
more then happy with my snow peak umbrella. was able to climb down an icy rock face with it still attached to the pack never got snagged kept it attached so it has movement to slide up and down witch tilts it back and forward as well when sliding over your shoulder, makes cold wet rain snow sleet mix a hole lot more enjoyable gives you freedom to move around camp after drying off, not so hunkered down in your shelter after changing into dry clothes I'm a fan of the umbrella even though it's not used much when it's useful it's such a sense of freedom and comfort, the kind of the comfort you get when hiking in micro spikes in icy conditions probably make it threw that icy patch but why not carry micro spikes to comfortably cross the icy patches. when the rain is welcomed to cool of keep it in your pack and cool off

lori
02-24-2015, 21:42
I have a Chrome Dome - it saved my bacon several times. Once in a snow storm when we were caught totally unprepared (you really don't expect sideways blowing snow on the coast in California, but we got it) and once when the temps soared 40 degrees above forecast - hiking in full sun at 110F? Yeah, you bet the umbrella helped.

There's a mfr over here - http://www.euroschirm.com/schirm/LightTrek/info.cgi?session=SbYTvhL9tyE1H&sprache_land=usa - that made the Chrome Dome for GoLite. They will sell you a silver version of any of their models, it appears.

jlink79
02-24-2015, 22:44
Gossamer Gear now has the Swinglite Chrome Umbrella http://gossamergear.com/chrome-umbrella.html

aka.cyberman
12-03-2015, 20:26
A friend of mine from Seattle says the locals look at Umbrellas as a sign of weakness. IDK. I just ordered one from Gossamer Gear. I'll try almost anything once.

kbajg
12-03-2015, 20:59
A friend of mine from Seattle says the locals look at Umbrellas as a sign of weakness. IDK. I just ordered one from Gossamer Gear. I'll try almost anything once.

Weakness code name for envy. lol
Umbrella works great down here in the hot Florida sun as well. I've hiked many times in the direct sun using the umbrella for a while & then not & it is a huge difference making your own shade that way.

Oms
12-04-2015, 06:23
My wife and I have used the umbrellas more for the sun then rain. Love it.

Dos
12-04-2015, 07:50
I used the umbrella on the Florida Trail this year as well as the PCT after I posted this article.
The sun was a beast in the desert.

I ended up using either a very small bungee cord or the night Ize twisty thing to lock my umbrella in place
for " Look Mom!! No hands!!"
Will never have to use my rain jacket again!!

sidvicious
12-04-2015, 08:21
last weekend i stared intensely at my golf bag umbrella before i hit the rainy mountain.

and all through the hike i wished i had grabbed it.

MrJames
12-04-2015, 09:38

If I'm not mistaken, Barefoot Jake, master of Olympic National Park (nearby Seattle), uses one, no?

Who cares what others say?

A Favorite Joke: Why Old Men Don't Get Hired

Hiring HR Person: Well, Jim, tell me, what do you think is your greatest weakness?
Jim: Oh, that's easy: Honesty.
HR Person: Honesty?..Honesty?? I don't think that's a weakness.
Jim: I don't give a _ _ _ _ what you think.

Being an old man is great! Milk it!

I am proud to be a weakling and old man and like this umbrella. I'm prouder than proud. As with trekking poles, once I used one a while, said "Oh Yeah!" Over a yard across, silvered for sun reflectivity, sturdy, doesn't attract lightning, only 7.9 ounces. euroSCHIRM Swing Liteflex Trekking Umbrella

https://www.google.com/search?q=euroSCHIRM+Swing+Liteflex+Trekking+Umbrel la&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

slugbait
12-04-2015, 11:09
Another Washingtonian who uses an umbrella here. I remain mainly dry and don't get too hot (because I don't need a stuffy jacket on).A downside is they don't play nice in wind.

OneClick
12-04-2015, 11:59
Scary, scary rain!

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/89379576/HF/body_umbrella.jpg

Scotty Von Porkchop
12-05-2015, 06:03
I've used my umbrella a few times on multi day trips and found them pretty good. I kinda like the nerdy very Britishness of it too

silentorpheus
12-05-2015, 10:32
so....I watched the video again today.
Definitely decided I didn't want a collapsible one.

Went to order one off of the Blunt site with the coupon from the video (nutnfancy).
I called customer service.
She generated a new code since that one expired.
Got $20 off plus free shipping.

Totally stoked!

caveat: have to agree with krshome about an umbrella hitting every branch on the East Coast.
but I am going to give it a go!

I used the umbrella on the Florida Trail this year as well as the PCT after I posted this article.
The sun was a beast in the desert.

I ended up using either a very small bungee cord or the night Ize twisty thing to lock my umbrella in place
for " Look Mom!! No hands!!"
Will never have to use my rain jacket again!!

Which Blunt did you end up going with? XS, Mini, or something else?

CeeVee
12-05-2015, 11:09
I been across the Kissimmee Prarie, here in Fla. where a umbrella for shade would have definitely been an asset and on the AT in the Smokes in a rain storm where it would not.
I'll have to study strapping one to a pack before I pull the trigger - I can see where trekking poles and an umbrella would be a PITA.

GadgetUK437
12-06-2015, 02:44
Interesting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHrvXRT10UM&feature=youtu.be

CeeVee
12-06-2015, 14:05
Interesting? Not practical. To be effective the umbrella needs to stay over your head and the main percent of your torso.
As part of a trekking pole it'll move around too much.

Dos
12-06-2015, 14:23
Which Blunt did you end up going with? XS, Mini, or something else?

I did get a Blunt but the diameter was HUGE. I ended up selling it and getting the Chrome Dome...only in black by...oh shoot....trying to remember the maker. I went direct to the wholesaler as the vendor temporarily went out of business..

I been across the Kissimmee Prarie, here in Fla. where a umbrella for shade would have definitely been an asset and on the AT in the Smokes in a rain storm where it would not.
I'll have to study strapping one to a pack before I pull the trigger - I can see where trekking poles and an umbrella would be a PITA.

it's not a PITA whatsoever.
I should try to get a picture for you.
But I essentially stick the handle through my chest strap.
Then either use a small bungee cord or a twist tie that is by Nite Ize that fastens to my shoulder strap.
http://www.gemplers.com/product/219410-BLK/Gear-Ties?gclid=CjwKEAiA1o-zBRDomsWasvKh4S8SJADSlZkqg4u31oLGogcBxKzpoYDAfz5m2 XaOrMPaIyyCsEHgqRoCMWDw_wcB&sku=219410-BLK&CID=25SEPLA&ef_id=Vf1@IAAAADN5URWn:20151206192247:s

3300 miles without EVER a hitch.

GadgetUK437
12-06-2015, 14:29
As part of a trekking pole it'll move around too much.
[emoji57] I was going to explain.... Just watch the video!

CeeVee
12-06-2015, 14:30
Would appreciate a picture.

CeeVee
12-06-2015, 14:31
Did the video, not convinced.

GadgetUK437
12-06-2015, 14:46
Did the video, not convinced.
So, going back to your original comment, why do you think it will move around too much?
I am not convinced either, but not because of that.
Although it will be lighter than a walking pole and a brolly, it would make for a heavier walking pole and then a heavier brolly.

CeeVee
12-06-2015, 18:26
Why do I think it will move around to much? Because when I walk with trekking poles (trying out "Pacer Poles" at the moment) the pole(s) get advanced then my stride advances my torso, pole, torso, pole ... etc. it would be like light a light switch, off on off on, some part of me would be getting out from under the protection of the umbrella at every step.
If the umbrella hovered permanently above my head this would not happen. That means I'd want the umbrella affixed to my pack or pack strap and belt.
Sitting here trying to thought-engineer that what comes to mind is the times that rain gusts and swirls and I'd constantly be grabbing at the umbrella to keep it in the "right" place.

ckmaui
12-06-2015, 21:13
I think the video for the hands free is this one
that trek pole/umbrella one I would never want that extra weight on my pole ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DN41Wo97Kow

GadgetUK437
12-07-2015, 02:43
Why do I think it will move around to much?... some part of me would be getting out from under the protection of the umbrella at every step.
I think you have grasped the wrong end of the stick (trekking pole).
When it is a trekking pole it isn't an umbrella... and when it is an umbrella, it isn't a trekking pole!
Some pictures might help;
https://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/5/4/8/6/4/2015-12-07_1.png
https://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/5/4/8/6/4/2015-12-07.png
https://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/5/4/8/6/4/2015-12-07_2.png

huntaholic123
12-15-2015, 19:27
Couldn't bring myself to carrying an umbrella. Added weight and bulky item. Ill stick to a baseball cap for sun and rain gear for the weather.

Carson
12-19-2015, 18:24
Couldn't bring myself to carrying an umbrella. Added weight and bulky item. Ill stick to a baseball cap for sun and rain gear for the weather.

As for the weight, replacing the rain gear and hat with an umbrella might actually save weight.

Not much can be done about the cool factor, though... Even recognizing the utility I still cringe at the thought of encountering other hikers on a sunny California day with an umbrella in my hand.

CeeVee
12-19-2015, 19:02
There's something "cool" about being substantially, totally, un-cool?

GadgetUK437
12-20-2015, 00:02
There's something "cool" about being substantially, totally, un-cool?
That's the coolness of being being totally self-confident and not giving a flying funk what other people think! :cool:

CeeVee
12-20-2015, 06:20
Nirvana, sounds like.

huntaholic123
12-21-2015, 10:52
Weight may be close but I use my rain gear as an extra layer when it's cooler out and when my pants get wet I can use the rain gear while everything else drys out. I'm not against by any means.

Hobopelican
12-21-2015, 11:08
That's the coolness of being being totally self-confident and not giving a flying funk what other people think! :cool:
Dang straight! I don't go into the woods to conform to what others think! Besides, if it's good enough for Steve McQueen........
...it's, by definition, "cool".:cool:

CeeVee
12-21-2015, 11:09
One other consideration needs to be mentioned I think.
My brother once lost an umbrella to the wind. Granted he was 10 years old and probably doing something kiddish, but the umbrella wound up on the roof of a building.
Somewhat of apples to oranges as that happened in a city but with that in mind I can picture struggling with 2 trekking poles and an umbrella and doing a Mary Poppins however briefly.
The utility (of an umbrella) is certainly there but the practicality less so. Also thinking on it I recall talking to a girl friend that went over to do a Cotswold (England) hike one year and her description included "rain or shine, you go" but (strangely?) no mention of umbrellas.

CeeVee
12-27-2015, 11:44
I do like the harness that supports the umbrella. Any better pictures/specs for that?

Oms
12-27-2015, 14:04
There is a lot to be said for the time of year when using an umbrella. In the summer or warmer times of year, wearing rain gear is just to hot. This is when an umbrella shines.

huntaholic123
12-28-2015, 09:24
I'm going to have to agree with CeeVee on the wind situation. I know a lot depends on location but up in the mountains the wind can hit at any time and the last thing I would want out is an umbrella to get caught up in a strong gust. Other point of concern for myself would be hiking through thick brush.

Dos
12-30-2015, 11:04
I will try to post a pic after the holidays.
But have hiked the last 2400 miles with an umbrella.
Will never go back to rain gear.

LBooth97
12-31-2015, 15:39
Very cool! I've got one for christmas and may bring it out on my next hike, depending on the weather.

derekd1
01-26-2016, 23:30
I think, from my perspective that we all could find ourselves in predicaments while backpacking that we would benefit from having an umbrella to use. And on the other hand, we all could find ourselves in opposite predicaments where it would be a hindrance to have it along with. Weighing the pros and cons I would like to try one but I do like using trekking poles. So....with all that said I still don't know LOL

mcspin50
02-02-2016, 00:13
Here's one way to hike hands free with an umbrella. http://ladyonarock.com/2015/04/19/hands-free-hiking-with-umbrella/

And here's another. http://ramblinghemlock.blogspot.com/2014/03/umbrella-rigging.html

BrRabbit
02-02-2016, 00:20
I will try to post a pic after the holidays.
But have hiked the last 2400 miles with an umbrella.
Will never go back to rain gear.

Which umbrella did you use?

Dos
02-02-2016, 00:28
http://gossamergear.com/chrome-umbrella.html

it was very similar to this one.
Gossamer stopped selling them a couple of years ago so I went direct to the manufacturer out of Germany.
Mine came in black. But I would recommend the silver chrome.

dingbat
02-07-2016, 10:16
Dr. Benjamin Lincoln Ball; The original hiking umbrella badass:

https://archive.org/details/threedaysonwhite00ball

mcspin50
02-13-2016, 22:36
Here (https://www.campmor.com/c/euroschirm-swing-trekking-umbrella) is another source for the umbrella. I like the one with silver outside and black inside.

Big Sweets
02-14-2016, 04:54
I've always hiked with an umbrella. I've been mocked by some friends but they were always wet while I was dry as a bone. I guess they just didn't get it.

tangara
02-14-2016, 06:32
In the tropics that's all I carried, because of the heat and the fact that usually storms pass quickly.

CeeVee
02-14-2016, 09:50
Broke down and bought one. I may never use it but at 8 ozs it gives me one more answer to how to stay dry(er).

Oms
02-14-2016, 11:01
Broke down and bought one. I may never use it but at 8 ozs it gives me one more answer to how to stay dry(er).

Take it with on a warm weather trip. You may really like it. I have only used mine a couple times, but when I did, it was really nice.

CeeVee
02-14-2016, 11:12
Gearing up for an April hike in the Ocala National Forest, here in FL. Weather Underground is predicting high 70s to 80 and dry so maybe I'll get the opportunity to test it.

Oms
02-14-2016, 12:17
It also works well as a body wind block while walking into a cold breeze.

CeeVee
02-21-2016, 14:23
So I was piqued enough by this discussion to acquire a Six Moon Designs Silver Shadow umbrella (8 ozs).
I carried it on a 10 mile hike figuring it would be handy in the afternoon. No rain expected but upper 80s and dry. I saw 91* on the thermometer on my pack strap (was probably more like 88*).
Happy to say that using the umbrella allowed me to take off my cap and walk in the shade.
Supporting the umbrella was a struggle. I finally jammed the end knob of the umbrella handle under the sternum strap on my left side and this was barely acceptable.
At this point I'm quessing that I'll need to lengthen the handle by 6" or so and find a better way to attach it to the shoulder strap. Nice idea just not fully realized yet.

TheDoc
03-07-2016, 19:35
Interesting, but I couldn't bring myself to do it haha. I can't let go of my poles.

CeeVee
03-08-2016, 17:13
Just ran through Lowe's box store and somebody had left a set of "pool noodles" at one of the registers. The core is hollow on those and it looked to me as if the umbrella handle would just fit in. Then you could bungee the whole thing to your pack strap??? Would be light, maybe bulky.

Dunno, maybe, maybe. Still think the best solution is to screw up my courage and fit an extention to the handle. Just hate to do anything "final" if I don't have to.

koaloha05
03-12-2016, 10:59
Pool noodles. Good idea. I hike using Pacer poles(IMHO, the "best" poles).

Have been using for awhile a snow peak brand (?model) umbrella. Very light and compact. Only negative is wishing some days it had a reflective outer material for those too sunny situations. Some days wishing it had a bit more coverage. The compromise for mass and volume.

Years ago did look into an umbrella that had some form of backpack strap attachment system. Bit too pricey and just another thing to fail at the wrong time. Your pool noodle idea gave me another idea. The split pipe insulation material and couple O-rings. Couple lengths of Omni or Velcro to lash it to the straps.

Dos
03-12-2016, 11:37
So I was piqued enough by this discussion to acquire a Six Moon Designs Silver Shadow umbrella (8 ozs).
I carried it on a 10 mile hike figuring it would be handy in the afternoon. No rain expected but upper 80s and dry. I saw 91* on the thermometer on my pack strap (was probably more like 88*).
Happy to say that using the umbrella allowed me to take off my cap and walk in the shade.
Supporting the umbrella was a struggle. I finally jammed the end knob of the umbrella handle under the sternum strap on my left side and this was barely acceptable.
At this point I'm quessing that I'll need to lengthen the handle by 6" or so and find a better way to attach it to the shoulder strap. Nice idea just not fully realized yet.

Most people I have seen on the PCT use a bungie cord or NiteIze twisty tie. Some use a smaller version of the poodle noodle - maybe about a 3 inch section, but I found the poodle noodle to be more trouble than it's worth.
I am shorter, so I slip it under my sterum strap and use the NiteIze twist tie. Don't get the 12 inch one....PIA.

Tacblades
03-12-2016, 12:43
I will never be seen with an unbrella hiking

Ever

Ever

Not ever

CeeVee
03-12-2016, 13:20
Never? Never.
Never? No never?
Never?
... Well hardly ever.

CeeVee
03-12-2016, 13:25
I bought some large silicone rubber bands and medium sized short bungee with cord locks from Amazon. See what I can rig up.

CeeVee
03-12-2016, 15:03
A bit of fiddling and I came up with this:
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160312/5f3ed179c78f41f2f64d0fe205f8c3fe.jpg
The foam is just a piece of something from the garage and I think the white "picnic cooler" foam would be better. The bungee at top goes around the pack shoulder strap. The bungee at the bottom passes thru the sewn-on ladder and behind the shoulder strap. This puts the umbrella above the top of the pack, doesn't rub or snag, and over my (left) shoulder at a slight angle. PITA but do-able to switch it over to the other shoulder.
Of course it would be lighter if I was using micro cord locks on thinner bungee cord but my arthritic hands deal with these better.
One last thing - I chose the red cord in the hopes that I can spot them if, or when, they decide to go off trekking on their own.

Gravity
03-12-2016, 21:47
With the forecast promising rain I took my Marmot Mica rain jacket and my Swing Liteflex on the trail for the first time. A drizzle started right away and it was so easy to deploy the umbrella. No need to stop, take off the backpack, put on the jacket, zip it up, put on the backpack. As I walked along I was comfortably warm in my clothes, and I am sure I would have overheated if I had worn the jacket. When the rain stopped, I just closed the umbrella and stored it without needing to stop. When the rain started again, I had it deployed again in a jiffy. Love the umbrella! And in hot sunny days I just know that it will earn its weight and then some. Won't hike without it!

This was a test in very mild rain. I will still take may jacket to wear during heavy downpours, specially in colder weather. But I anticipate that most of the time the umbrella will be enough. It really is a marvelous tool. Get the one with the outer silver surface, to help reflect away the sunlight.

jcblough
04-08-2016, 07:49
I had a friend that tried this and ended up soaked AND had extra stuff to carry - he swore he would never do it again.

koaloha05
04-09-2016, 09:00
Prefer umbrella. Quick deploy. Protects from sun and rain. Warm and or humid conditions even with the breathable, pit/torso zip rain wear I end up soaked with my own sweat.
Not an ultralight weight minimalist. But I do give items that are multifunctional priority when I thin down the load.

Never got around to sewing up a rain kilt. I guess I must enjoy damp thighs to toes:laugh: Thinking the kilt plus umbrella is a decent combo. Plus if the kilt is designed properly it can double up as a short poncho to deal with those dry, windy and cooler conditions you may encounter. Kilt can also serve as a waterproof butt pad, something to set gear down in wet or dirty conditions. Umbrella unless real windy can also function as a bit of a wind break for you, to start up wood burning camp stove..... Multi functional beyond rain protection.

CeeVee
04-09-2016, 11:16
"Bit of a wind break" indeed _always_ keeping in mind that mylar and flame don't mix😨.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

koaloha05
04-10-2016, 10:31
"Bit of a wind break" indeed _always_ keeping in mind that mylar and flame don't mix😨.

Nylon umbrella😱. Hopefully I know which way is upwind and don't need to use a self-adhesive tire patch. Unlike one of my hammocks. Brain fart moment. If there is a good thing about a burn hole in nylons or polyester it's the self seam sealing nature of the damage. Good thing. Depending on type of camping packing either the BushBuddy, 1st gen BackCountry Boiler or alcohol stove. All these stoves burn relatively clean and usually free of exploding cinder. No burn holes in the fleece or outerwear since using these stoves😀.

HammockTown
04-17-2016, 21:21
Super interesting article, I definietly wouldn't take an umbrella. A rain jacket always servers me well but this does look like a good solution for those who don't mind caring extra gear.

CeeVee
04-18-2016, 04:07
FYI when I looked, couple months ago, the European Web page listed a chest harness for the umbrella.
Two thoughts - this harness would be more useful when your not wearing a backpack, and, it might be just the trick if I'm running around (as I did this last weekend) with 2 DSLRs and switching back and forth. I'll have to revisit the Web page and see if I can glean more info.

CeeVee
04-18-2016, 10:33
I have sent an email to the importer, now in Atlanta, asking for details. Looks like they've added an umbrella with a 2-piece extension handle. The butt can be strapped to a waistbelt and the top section of the handle straps to a shoulder pad for hands-free use. Kinda pricy at $65.00. And an additional $4.50 for silvered mylar but **** sure could have used that Saturday went it was bucket in down where we were.
Hope they reply in the afirmative.

CeeVee
04-19-2016, 08:05
Ordered harness and umbrella with telescoping handle.

cneill13
04-19-2016, 09:45
I hike with a Go-Lite umbrella and a rain skirt and I am too old to give a rat's a@$ about what anyone might think about it.

I get made fun of all the time, until it starts raining. Then they try to buy it off me.

The umbrella handle fits under my sternum strap and I tie it to my pack for no hands usage.

Not having to wear rain gear keeps me from sweating when hiking and the umbrella is very useful when around camp.

For example, on my last outing. We had just got the fire rolling when a rain storm blew in. Everyone had to run back to their tents or hammocks for cover, but not me.

I hung out by the fire sitting in my chair under my umbrella. It is also very useful in breaking down camp in the morning if it is raining.

Bottom line, my umbrella is one of my "must have" items on the trail. And it only weighs 8 ounces.

Carl

jpmac55
05-15-2016, 02:01
I always take an umbrella. Comes in handy when mother nature calls during the night and it's raining.

Frodo
05-18-2016, 08:52
Just hiked the NCT-MRT loop this past weekend in Michigan using an umbrella for the first time. We dealt with rain, snow and wind all weekend. I may never pack rain gear again. Umbrellas rocked.

Caminante
05-18-2016, 09:59
I saw one in action for the first time back in April in the Smokies. My buddy used one in lieu of rain gear, while I had traditional rain gear. I was dubious, but I must admit it worked very well for him and made me envious. Our hike started in a light rain and I had just my rain jacket on, but as the rain picked up my pants started to get soaked so I had to get my rain pants out. My buddy's umbrella seemed to be keeping him 90% dry including most of his pack. Point: umbrella.

The second night, we were on top of Mt. Sterling and the temperature dropped and the wind picked up. I use my rain gear as an additional layer/wind break to go with my fleece and I was glad to have it, especially my pants. Point: rain gear.

I'm strongly leaning towards getting an umbrella, especially for 3-season hiking. I'm not sure I'll get away from my rain gear when I think I might need it as an insulative layer.

koaloha05
05-19-2016, 09:02
Umbrella or rain gear. Not an all one or the other for me. Personally I lug along a umbrella. Climate conditions determine if I bring full rain gear, just a top or no rain gear. Usually pack a top. More for wind when stopping for a break or at camp. Run hot when moving. Have yet to find a top for above 0*C that I don't run hot in. The top packed is very light, compact old ?Quark. Torso/pit zip, relatively breathable. Still cook in it at "normal" pace. Run cold when not moving unless it's muggy warm.

MAD777
05-19-2016, 10:00
Like koaloha05 said, if I'm moving while wearing rain gear, I'm hot & sweating no matter how cold it is outside. This provides my attraction to an umbrella (which I don't currently use). The disadvantages are snagging tree limbs in the this eastern forests that I hike in, and the additional weight. What to do?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Grapenut
05-20-2016, 18:13
Love my umbrella. Always take it when I hike in the Great Smokey Mountains Rain Forest. My total base weight is just under 8 lbs and that includes the umbrella (8 oz). G-Nut

Longrun
05-27-2016, 19:17
I have always hiked with an umbrella - and a rain skirt! I never sweat from what I am wearing.
I even bungy cord my umbrella to my backpack so I am hands free.

Great article.

Oms
05-28-2016, 08:09
I have always hiked with an umbrella - and a rain skirt! I never sweat from what I am wearing.
I even bungy cord my umbrella to my backpack so I am hands free.

Great article.

Seems like the perfect combination for mild to warm conditions.

Red Wing
05-28-2016, 09:57
Umbrella for me, carry a cheapie 1.99 poncho if I need more but usually ill make camp before that. Also grear as a sun shade and latches onto my chest strap perfect for hands free. Its righteous.

massis
05-31-2016, 03:13
The downside of joining new forums is the abundance of new information. Read this and bought an umbrella...
Apparently GoLite is no longer in business, but their manufacturer happens to be a German company which is very interesting if you live in neighbouring Belgium, so I ordered a EuroSchirm Swing LiteFlex to go with me on my trips from now on.

Especially now that I've started using a tarp instead of a tent (a Mamajamba without doors) I can see this come in handy as a makeshift door to block the wind coming in, on top of all the regular "umbrella uses" :-)

CeeVee
06-05-2016, 06:40
Still working on the Umbrella (?), Parasol (?) idea. Here's my latest effort:
Complete Florida hiker, circa 2016.
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160605/a98b3cada57c4e963e1793c63c805081.jpg

CeeVee
06-05-2016, 06:47
This is the Euroschrim rig. The umbrella is heavier and it's handle is still not as long as I'd like, the harness weighs half again what is should, and it smacks me in the side of the face when it slips.
Not a major fail yet but not awesome either.
(Note that I equipped with a hat even though I'm not wearing it.)

Carbon
06-21-2016, 13:51
Ok, as for protection from the sun which is more effective? Silver coating on the top or on the underside? I see many UV umbrellas with the silver coating on the underside, not on the outside.

T- Minus
06-21-2016, 15:24
Another question, is there an umbrella that uses a trekking pole as its pole?

Red Wing
06-21-2016, 16:54
Ive heard both ways, i think on top would be best, like a car reflector. And i know of no umbrellas that do that but you can find great deals at mall retailers that cost under 10 and weigh 5oz. Not bad value.

Hobopelican
06-21-2016, 16:55
Another question, is there an umbrella that uses a trekking pole as its pole?Wow. Now that's an idea looking for someone with the skills to pull it off!

massis
06-21-2016, 17:01
EuroSchirm sells one :-)

Carbon
06-21-2016, 17:54
Another question, is there an umbrella that uses a trekking pole as its pole?
A traditional umbrella needs an integrated shaft to be able to open and close so I don't think there's any way around that.
But, my trekking pole has a 1/4" thread on the handle for mounting a camera so if you had an umbrella with a tripod base in its handle this may be one solution.

T- Minus
06-21-2016, 22:35
I was Imagining at the tip of hiking pole insert it to the center of the umbrella,(most umbrellas look very similar at the tip) and the part that normally slides up to lock in place, connect to the shaft section by sliding between the two inserts. Been thinking on this for about a month but don't want to make something if its been done. I may have to butcher and modify someone's current product to get a prototype.

GadgetUK437
06-22-2016, 00:09
As you are the type who is just too busy to read the whole thread....
Start from here,
https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?p=1553019
Video of Euroschirm trekking pole umbrella and resulting discussion.

--
Gadget.

SoaknWet
06-22-2016, 10:02
Has anyone looked at umbrellas designed to attach to a tree for hunting? The pole is completely different then normal and off set. I can see this being attached to a hiking pole or even somehow to your pack to become hands free.

CeeVee
06-22-2016, 10:40
An umbrella that attaches to a tree? I didn't know there was such. How much does it weigh? And who has them?

boatstall
06-22-2016, 11:39
An umbrella that attaches to a tree? I didn't know there was such. How much does it weigh? And who has them?

Yep. Been around for several decades within the hunting world. Just do a search for "tree stand umbrella". Lots of choices.

Singingcrowsings
06-22-2016, 12:01
Has anyone looked at umbrellas designed to attach to a tree for hunting? The pole is completely different then normal and off set. I can see this being attached to a hiking pole or even somehow to your pack to become hands free.

There's a hole in the umbrella, Dear SoaknWet, Dear Soaknwet.... I could see it working if that one side wasn't cut out for the tree. Plus they seem pretty heavy. One I looked at was 2.5lbs! which could be easily revamped.

CeeVee
06-22-2016, 12:10
Saw that.

SoaknWet
06-22-2016, 12:17
Doesn't your pack have a rain cover, just try to position so the missing slice of the pie is over the pack!

mayhemkb
06-22-2016, 14:13
I pick up a cheap light compact umbrella for under $5 and use it until it dies on the trail. They usually weight under 8oz. Lightest one I ever found was 5oz. I have a rain skirt/garbage bag and an 99 cent emergency poncho for emergencies. Enjoy the umbrella as a part of kit, sun protection and protection from light rain. Not the best for heavy rain areas but. . .

T- Minus
06-22-2016, 19:18
As you are the type who is just too busy to read the whole thread....
Start from here,
https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?p=1553019
Video of Euroschirm trekking pole umbrella and resulting discussion.

--
Gadget.

Yea saw that kinda the reverse of that, to me that is an umbrella hiking pole not an umbrella add on to a hiking pole. I made a quick sketch of what I have in my head ATM as far as a blue print.

Carbon
06-23-2016, 11:53
Yea saw that kinda the reverse of that, to me that is an umbrella hiking pole not an umbrella add on to a hiking pole. I made a quick sketch of what I have in my head ATM as far as a blue print.

Have you looked at one of those silver top, black underside, 36" diameter hat umbrellas? They don't have shafts.

steveflinn
08-01-2016, 01:41
Some of the backpacks they make for carrying babies have a canopy. I have been thinking about how to use a similar design that pulls over the wearer instead of the cargo.

I imagine carbon fiber poles slipped into the top of the uprights for the frame on the Vargo TiArc -- to support a telescoping cuben canopy. Seems like with that kind of thing and a couple of stretchy-cord tiedowns in the front you could have a completely windproof, hands-free substitute for both umbrella and hat. Surely you could design that to come in at less than 8oz, which would beat out all the reasonable hiking umbrellas in terms of weight and utility.

Not sure how to adapt that for use with a frameless pack, though something like that over my beloved Zpacks Zero would be awesome.

SoaknWet
08-01-2016, 05:58
I found one of those umbrella hats at Walmart and have used it twice and think it's great! Both hands are free for whatever chord is at hand. Only complaint is people keep asking where to find them and one guy offered to buy it! Cost me $7.00 bet I could have gotten $14

Oms
08-01-2016, 06:51
I found one of those umbrella hats at Walmart and have used it twice and think it's great! Both hands are free for whatever chord is at hand. Only complaint is people keep asking where to find them and one guy offered to buy it! Cost me $7.00 bet I could have gotten $14

I think those are the coolest, get it? ;) No really they make a lot of sense. Keep you shaded without restricting air flow.

SoaknWet
08-01-2016, 07:16
The one time I used it was while on my lawn tractor cutting grass. Shade everywhere I cut that day! Just watch out for trees

CeeVee
08-01-2016, 10:48
Check out the one on ebay..

Hobopelican
08-01-2016, 16:23
I've been following thread on and off, so I hope I didn't miss any reference to this (https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-Elastic-Headband-Camouflage-Umbrella/dp/B00AUCAE18/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1470086436&sr=8-2&keywords=umbrella+rain+hat). A camo head umbrella for less than $10....Tempting to try. How bad could it be?

CeeVee
08-01-2016, 16:25
I saw these hat-umbrellas in the 1980s. Popular aren't they? You can see them everywhere must be a reason, don't you think?

settworthy
08-06-2016, 22:20
I rarely go into the bush without one. When car camping I bring a golf umbrella, can't tell you the amount of times I sat in my folding chair with it providing coverage while it was raining even reading a book under it. Strangely even after doing this for years even some of my buddies still stand around getting rained on in their breathable rain suits. When I go backpacking I always have a small umbrella in my gear. Provides shade, stops rain, and a wind block. It's a no brainer. I should have made my own videos years ago. Lol

Ratdog
09-14-2016, 23:44
Chrome Umbrella is back from the founder of GoLite.

Produced by the new company, MyTrailCo.com and coming in at $49
http://mytrailco.com/collections/accessories/products/chrome-umbrella

This umbrella is more breathable than any waterproof-breathable jacket. In variable conditions, My Trail's Chrome really shines because it’s so much easier to deploy and retract than putting on and taking off a jacket.

The Chrome can also keep you cool. On the sunniest days, the silver skin and blackout layer reduce the effective temperature 25°F.

Specs at a Glance
Canopy Arc: 44” Weight: 8oz Color: Silver Handle length: 25" Shaft: Fiberglass

tennistime99
09-15-2016, 08:54
Bought one direct from http://www.euroschirm.com back when no one else was selling them anymore. I think these were the original manufacturers of the chrome dome for GoLight.

SoaknWet
09-15-2016, 09:04
I found one of those umbrella hats on eBay and have used it several times this summer and other than a lot of stares and a few giggles I think it works great! How long will it last, not a clue, but for $5.00 I think I can afford to replace it.

thierict
09-15-2016, 09:55
I've been doing this for about two years with the handsfree model from euroschirm as well but I find the handsfree feature to be lacking. This is one of the most useful tool ever in the backcountry and more than with its weight.
It's great in the sun because of airflow, works well in the rain but I still wear a rain pants. I've been in some major rains and have been dried while everyone else eventually has stuff wicking through with their shells when the outplayed wetted through.
It's great as a windshield, dust shield, a screen when having the relieve myself, and kept my bottoms dried when having to squat in the rain :).
I don't hike with poles so I haven't had to give up anything in that department. I've taken mine up to every summit I've done this year, including all the scrambling.
I do apply sunblock when there's snow though.
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160915/c7ae900430eaeb25e3e384611d6b8e37.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160915/f6d36c849143a88b7c5ca4d70e6309f5.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160915/a641109c39bd5f19b076460d07cec65b.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160915/7852e365c870bb91348e10523aa1373e.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160915/6fe0ea0d0f4f4c57e4603e2c5cac6d43.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carbon
09-15-2016, 13:01
I picked up a generic, $20, silver top, black bottom umbrella from Amazon. I chopped off most of the tip and the J hook part of the handle, and wrapped the handle with some handlebar cork tape I had laying around. Works great! I'm never out in the summer sun without it.

Refreshing
09-16-2016, 17:41
Oh the threads I can find on HF when I am bored at work! Thank you for the link to the umbrella article because I learned a LOT of ways to use an umbrella. Specifically I LOVE LOVE the idea of using it as a mini tarp over a bivy since I have considered using this setup in my hammock... WOOT!

tennistime99
09-16-2016, 20:38
Another article from a guy in my neck of the woods. He's a ground sleeper but very knowledgeable of gear and lightweight travel.
http://www.barefootjake.com/2014/04/golite-chrome-dome-vs-sea-to-summit.html?m=1

tstark
09-16-2016, 21:02
My brother-in-law were having this exact discussion yesterday. Once we debated the pros and cons, we concluded that it does make sense to hike with an umbrella.

If you need hands free, you can try one of these: http://s7.orientaltrading.com/is/image/OrientalTrading/VIEWER_IMAGE_400/umbrella-hat~5_580a

ariel@sierramadreresearch
09-28-2016, 12:19
I just got back from a month-long research trip to the rainforest in Borneo, while there I climbed Mt. Kinabalu- halfway up we were all fighting altitude sickness and our guide whips out a full-sized umbrella. 137798

EmilyHightower
07-25-2017, 22:54
It's really an interesting article. Found some unique thing after a long time.

JasonACraft
07-26-2017, 06:38
I love it now. Took a little getting used to, but he sun shade in all these fields we have is awesome.

SoaknWet
07-26-2017, 09:42
I agree! At first I felt a little foolish than the benefits sunk n rain or shine! Now it stays on the pack.

CeeVee
07-26-2017, 09:51
Tried 4 versions of hiking with an umbrella. From the sun shade hat to the Euopean harness rig. None are satisfactory. But I did quickly notice: Stay out of the wind or it'll be Mary Poppins time.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

OneClick
07-26-2017, 10:01
You could get a windbrella and use it as a hiking staff :)

Five Tango
07-26-2017, 11:23
I just bought a Swing-Trek silver (Chrome Dome without logo). I can see myself enjoying this piece of kit. I'll report back after a few uses.

Ditto,I just bot one because it is reflective and contains no metal.About 8 oz after you throw away the nice sleeve that comes with it.My initial backyard test in a Driving Rain Storm was reasonable impressive as I mostly got wet from the knees down.About the same as my poncho so for summer time I think I will use the umbrella in lieu of the poncho.

SoaknWet
07-26-2017, 11:55
Definitely not as HOT as rain gear in the summer and like all equipment they need a little common sense when using.

Tucson Tom
07-26-2017, 13:37
I am surprised that this encounters so much resistance. An umbrella has been my go-to rain gear for a number of years and is superior to everything else with some caveats. It is ideal in warm weather where you would be sweating like a pig even in WPB parkas. The only liability is when wind picks up. Keep a good grip and be alert. I just hold the thing. It keeps me dry from the waist up unless there is a lot of wind and then you are going to have bigger problems anyway. If you are concerned about how you look, all I can say is "man up, dude - don't be a sissy and worry about what other people think!"

As far as why I hold it -- in the places I hike there are branches and brush and a constant need to maneuver that would make tying it to the pack unworkable. On a lovely groomed trail, it might be something though. Umbrellas are the bomb.

roaringplains
08-10-2017, 20:22
I carry one all the time (seasonally appropriate). Good for rain - I still wear a rain jacket but usually don't have to use the hood or zip the jacket fully; great wind break for cooking or resting (great at the end of an a-framed tarp when you're on the ground); fashion statement

OneClick
08-17-2017, 12:13
I breifly considered the Snow Peak or Montbell umbrellas around 4.5-5.5oz, but I don't like how they close. You have to fold back each spoke before closing. Not a problem if you're not frequently opening and closing I guess. But for the compact size and about the weight of an iPhone, that's pretty darn handy.

cneill13
08-17-2017, 12:32
This is a copy of the Go-Lite umbrella (Go-Lite went out of business) that I use.

Last day sale today on this for only $35. This is a great piece of gear. Loop it under my sternum strap on my backpack and it is hands-free coverage.

https://mytrailco.com/collections/accessories/products/chrome-umbrella

sagamore
08-17-2017, 14:56
Thanks, CNeil. Some googling tells me that the MyTrailCo umbrella is identical to Gossamer Gear's -- both sourced from Euroschirm.

HangingMike
09-03-2017, 08:18
A can say where I romp through the woods just too tight for an umbrella. Though I won't knock one when I am out on my kayak or a boat they are amazing on hot sunny days on the water. So I could imagine them being real nice to have on hikes that have enough room for them.

Though I also have the issue of being six foot five and no matter how large the umbrella is during a rain heavy enough to use one my legs get soaking wet, so while I could avoid the jacket i would still have to wear rain pants or really high gaiters.

I would like to point out however that the article stated a few times that you vent a large amount of heat from your head this myth has been debunked for some time now so a sun hat isn't going to make you hotter exactly its still extra clothing and less exposed area to the open air. A more fair point here is an umbrella provides a micro climate of shade which makes it easier to stay cool by being able to expose more skin without fear of sunburn for heat exhaust as well as keeping the sun off you directly.

Never the less though thanks for the article and anyone hiking where they can use one I would imagine it would be a great investment I know I almost never take my kayak out now without one makes the difference between a miserable day under the sun and a relaxing day on the water for me.

Five Tango
09-03-2017, 18:54
Forgot to mention that I will never go anywhere without rain gear.The umbrella or the poncho,one or the other,is up for grabs depending on season of the year.A shell layer seems just too important to leave at home.

LOTW131
09-04-2017, 11:27
Since I started hiking, I've been completely confused by the rarity of umbrellas. Water falls from the sky, and heat blasts from above. These are problems that have been solved thousands of years ago. Even the word comes from "ombra" which is latin for "shade."

Five Tango
09-05-2017, 19:18
Ye olde Swing Trek Lite Flex umbrella came in handy today in over 90 degree heat,rigged for hands free operation so I could use my poles.It was no problem to put away while in the shaded tight areas in the woods but was a lifesaver out in the open as the sun was really beating down.

WillUpnDown
01-05-2018, 00:20
I'm an umbrella chump. I bought a $75 backpacking umbrella for trekking in Japan during the rainy seIf you have a very high probability of frequent hard rain. In the mountains on Yakushima Island, off the southern coast of Japan, I saw more rain in one day than....all of us together have seen in all our lives. Yeah the expensive umbrella worked, about as well as a cheap umbrella. My camera, iPhone and even my thoughts got soaking wet.
And if, as I did a few times, you forget and leave behind a $75 umbrella...ya got to go back and get it... The magical attachment set-up for my backpack straps worked in my living room, worked once on the trail. The rest of the time they were a complete joke. Super strength, wind-proof? No. Whatever you do don't buy a fancy umbrella. The world's 'highest rated' back packing umbrella? It would've been worth $75 had the first time I opened it, $63 cash fell out. You can now find large very nice umbrellas for $5, $10 in one of those overpriced tourist stops. Or one of those super-cheapo compact ones, for $3.50? Those are good too, if you lose it, loan it, break it? No worries. Hands free? It's easier and better to jury rig one of these to be hands free than to use the gimmicky dohicky I paid all that money for.
Another thing about umbrellas: You have to leave them outside. All umbrellas in these bins are of equal value and indeterminate ownership.

Paddles Down
01-13-2018, 00:56
Thanks for sharing

ObdewlaX
01-13-2018, 17:06
I first used my GoLite umbrella on a trip out to Big Bend in '04 while hiking the Outer Mountain Loop & it was a life-saver. Once you get on the Dodson Trail, shade is virtually non-existent, so having 'instant' shade makes carrying one worthwhile. It was kinda fun too seeing the looks on other hikers faces who weren't using one when we passed each other on the trail... at first the look was like, "Huh? An umbrella?" Then a look would come over their face like, "Dang, wish I had one!" :) Of course, it comes in handy in the rain too & I've even cooked under it during a rainstorm. Still in use today, I always pack the GoLite as it's fairly compact, weighs only ~7oz -8oz. & fits neatly in the side pocket of my packs.

https://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/6/7/9/7/8/078e655f-2ead-4cd7-99e4-da127e1a45af.jpeg

OlTrailDog
01-13-2018, 21:15
I have one of the Golite Chromes and pack it in a long thin silnylon SLD stuff sack that looks like it was made for the umbrella. I pack it along side the collapsed hiking pole as I am a one pole hiker (use both at camp for the tarp). Doesn't weigh very much and works great for those mid-afternoon thunder boomers that come and go during the summer.

Hobopelican
10-08-2018, 16:31
Alibaba to the rescue. :lol:
LINK (https://www.aliexpress.com/item/new-arrival-creative-plastic-rain-hat-cap-coat-raincoat-hats-women-men-children-universal-use-hiking/32788409193.html)

Mr. Doublefister
10-08-2018, 22:04
My umbrella time is somewhat limited so far but I'm really liking it. Seems definitely worth the weight.

Big Sweets
10-09-2018, 00:07
I've been using umbrellas for about 20 years now and have been laughed at but I've always had the last laugh.

soulsurfer
10-09-2018, 12:34
I've been an umbrella believer for some time. I currently use the My trail Co dome. I keep it in my car and it gets used for sun or rain all the time and I never hike without it. Over the last 18 months its taken quite a bit of abuse and still looks good as new.

Carbon
10-12-2018, 12:03
I've been using umbrellas for about 20 years now and have been laughed at but I've always had the last laugh.

I've never been laughed at, but always complimented, especially on hot, sunny days.

Rouskof
10-12-2018, 15:30
Works great in all but windy weather. Still much better than an always non breathable rain jacket. And yes, you are dry under an umbrella :-D

nicolaasdekker
03-20-2019, 04:28
My family always think I'm silly for lugging an umbrella along..

I coveted those fancy hiking brollies for years but always made do with which ever one I had on hand. An umbrella is essentially a fair weather tool: Low wind, high sun; low wind, light to heavy rain etc so I've found cheap umbrellas that are sold on the street in third world countries to be reasonably light and durable enough to last a trip at the very least.

However, whilst in China I had the opportunity to purchase and play around with a plethora of outdoor products for scandalously low prices.
On a whim I bought a hiking brolly from some no-name company and was so impressed with it that I bought a whole bunch more before leaving. I'm not sure where you can buy them as I bought mine off of Taobao. But here is a link to the umbrella if anyone is interested.

https://www.naturehike.com/foldable-umbrella-sun-shower/

OlTrailDog
03-20-2019, 17:48
I've been an umbrella believer for some time. I currently use the My trail Co dome. I keep it in my car and it gets used for sun or rain all the time and I never hike without it. Over the last 18 months its taken quite a bit of abuse and still looks good as new.

My Trail Co is the folks who restarted Golite, aka the chrome dome was one of Golite's products. One of those US companies you really hate to see go. I wish MTC would have come up with a different name, something real exciting, cutting edge, and chock full of bravado instead of a Microsoft Windows knock off name (spoken as a dedicated Linux user since '92) :shades: But nonetheless, I'm glad to see they are giving it a go and I wish them the best.

Red Wing
03-21-2019, 08:16
Theres a $10.00, 5.5 ounce, umbrella H&M sells that I've been using for 4 or 5 years now. I've got a couple to keep one in my car as well. I like these so much I would probably not spend 40 bucks a chrome dome type unless in the desert.

Breaking down camp in the rain is much easier when you can wear your rain shell and set your pack under tour umbrella when it comes time to break down the tarp. Very convenient for me.

OlTrailDog
03-21-2019, 18:56
Yep, I like to support the Chinese economy ever chance I can.

Red Wing
03-21-2019, 22:14
Just trying to help. Sorry.

OneClick
03-22-2019, 12:25
I don't mind the cheap Chinese stuff. Stuff is getting expensive these days...ridiculously expensive. Once the boat arrives from China, I help support the US dock workers, customs inspectors, truck drivers, train engineers, maintenance crews, UPS/USPS and anyone else that may be involved in delivering the $3.92 trinket to my doorstep.

OlTrailDog
03-22-2019, 17:39
Ah, so grasshopper. Could you say that in Mandarin?

I suppose there is a way to rationalize most decision. Even when it isn't in the long term interest of remaining a sovereign nation. Especially when it concerns the country that is unquestionable poses the biggest threat. Plus has been stealing technology, deep into corporate espionage, reverse engineering, government support of predatory pricing, uses 'criminal', slave, and child labor, aggressively targets neighboring countries, and so forth. But what the hey, as long as I only have to pay $3.92 who me worry :sneaky:

cmoulder
03-23-2019, 07:21
I could see an umbrella being useful out West or other areas where the trails are fairly open for the most part. I think I'd use it mostly for sun, however.

Most places where I hike here in the NE they would be shredded in short order or would be so cumbersome as to create a dangerous situation.

Yes, this is a trail, the likes of which punctuate many a hike in the NE, and an umbrella just wouldn't work:

https://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/7/4/1/1/4/rocky_01.jpg

Shug
03-23-2019, 09:28
I have a Golite hiking umbrella. Never used it yet.
Maybe if I hiked deserts I would try to rig it for shade but it seems a bit of a hassle to me.
Shug of the big hat

JasonACraft
03-24-2019, 13:45
Deserts.....and these shadless fields that abound so much around here.

SlothandFox
04-02-2019, 15:09
It's the signature piece of gear for the hammock camping blogger "Wandering Pine" She has a silver umbrella in her logo.

IG@ wandering.pine (https://www.instagram.com/wandering.pine/?hl=en) or wanderingpine.com (https://wanderingpine.com/)

c4mailman.pb
11-13-2019, 18:53
I’m a mailman by trade and use a clear bubble type umbrella (I know, man card in jeopardy. )The umbrella works very well just sitting on my head and handle hanging as counter weight. The reason for clear is so I can read the address( I’m 52)My mail stays dry and I don’t sweat as much in my rain gear. (I do have have goretex rain gear)Only big problem is wind. I think it is a great idea in above freezing applications.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hobopelican
11-16-2019, 12:54
... (I know, man card in jeopardy. )...

Heck, I say you get man points for doing what works and not caring what others think!:D

deadeye
11-18-2019, 20:18
For me, an umbrella is an essential part of hiking comfortably in the rain. My rain kit includes a rain jacket (frog toggs most of the time, a better quality EMS or LL Bean w/b jacket in colder temps), an umbrella, a pack cover (hacked from a trash compactor bag), and a rain kilt. I have rain pants, but never use them except in winter (but I'd probably carry them if in higher elevations).

The umbrella alone is great in warmer weather or intermittent rain. As it gets colder, on goes the jacket, but since I have the umbrella, no hat or hood is needed, and the jacket can be opened more for ventilation. And since the jacket doesn't wet out, it actually can breathe as much as the fabric will allow.

BTW, all my hiking is in the northeast - Adirondacks, Greens, Whites, and the umbrella does not get shredded. The trick is to hold it loosely enough to roll with the punches. I usually hear the "it won't survive" comments from folks who haven't tried one. When I'm using it, the comments I hear most are "great idea, wish I had one."

No, it's not much use above timberline in the wind.

If you're committed to using 2 trekking poles, you won't like it either. I'm a one-stick guy.

Malcolm
11-18-2019, 21:55
I was on a trip last year where it was in the 40s (F) the entire time, and rained several hours each day. I found that I’d sweat until I was soaked wearing a rain jacket, but I’d stay warm hiking even without the rain jacket. (I hike warm.)

For myself, I’ve determined that I really only require rain protection at night when I need to answer nature’s call, and I’m wearing my designated dry clothes. The umbrella is much better for that than a rain jacket would be. I hate leaving my very nice (and fairly expensive) rain jacket at home, but the umbrella has proven far more useful for me.

It’s also fantastic to have in the sun.

Dvankirk
11-19-2019, 09:00
I've started taking an umbrella. To me, it is worth the 6 ounces if I know it is going to rain. I can tuck the handle in my chest strap and don't have to carry it. I just put it away if I need to do a little scrambling or the trail gets too tight.

Cabmanhang
11-19-2019, 10:15
I've started taking an umbrella. To me, it is worth the 6 ounces if I know it is going to rain. I can tuck the handle in my chest strap and don't have to carry it. I just put it away if I need to do a little scrambling or the trail gets too tight.

Which umbrella do you have? Six ounces sounds pretty good

Dvankirk
11-19-2019, 15:11
Which umbrella do you have? Six ounces sounds pretty good

The description says 7oz, but mine is 6 (maybe since I took the cover off). I'm sure that it won't last forever, but not a big investment.

OneClick
11-19-2019, 15:17
I was on a trip last year where it was in the 40s (F) the entire time, and rained several hours each day. I found that I’d sweat until I was soaked wearing a rain jacket, but I’d stay warm hiking even without the rain jacket. (I hike warm.)

Same here. Even if it's breathable, that stuff is a joke. I had my expensive Gore-tex jacket a couple weeks ago. I wore it hiking out at 19°. When I got to my car I had to "peel" it off my arms it was so wet inside. Most useless invention ever.

Malcolm
11-19-2019, 21:19
Same here. Even if it's breathable, that stuff is a joke. I had my expensive Gore-tex jacket a couple weeks ago. I wore it hiking out at 19°. When I got to my car I had to "peel" it off my arms it was so wet inside. Most useless invention ever.

Totally. I’m not sure if “breathable” is a downright lie, or just something I sweat too much to experience.

OneClick
11-20-2019, 07:41
Totally. I’m not sure if “breathable” is a downright lie, or just something I sweat too much to experience.

The problem is, any sweat that you notice/bothers you, is the sweat that won't pass thru quick enough. I guess if you're sitting at a football game for 3 hours with no more activity than raising one arm to drink a beer that entire time, the vapor may pass thru. But the little demo they do in a lab will make it sound like you could sweat Niagara falls thru the membrane.

The good thing is, I'm finally over it. Softshell or fleece in the cold snow. 100% waterproof non-DWR rain jacket in the cold rain. Anything else and it's too warm to need a jacket anyway so I just get wet (60°+) and dry out later.

But this umbrella thing I could possibly get into.