PDA

View Full Version : Thermarest Ridge-rest and condensation

Carolinahammockhanger
05-13-2009, 21:43
I just got back from 2 back to back overnight backpacking trips. I'm still new to the hammock thing but am loving it. On ALL trips I've had my hammock on including these last two, I've had a good amount of condensation on top of my pad between my sleeping bag. I have a synthetic bag, so I'm not too concerned but is this "normal" or am I doing something wrong? Its cause no real issues yet. Temps iranged in the upper 30's to mid 50's on all my trips. 40 deg. Marmot syn. bag. It has kept me fairly warm in the low to mid 40's. (yes it surprised me too)

Shug
05-14-2009, 09:36
I always had some too when I was using pads. Never really too badly but it was there.
Now using a 1/2 down UnderQuilt and condensation no more.!!!!!
I made my own and really like it.

headchange4u
05-14-2009, 10:43
Condensation is always going be an issue non breathable pads. That's one reason I'm so found of under quilts.

Photograhiker
05-14-2009, 13:00
It's normal. Just be glad you're not sleeping directly on the pad with a quilt like I am. :mellow:

Peter_pan
05-17-2009, 19:24
Condensation is always going be an issue non breathable pads. That's one reason I'm so found of under quilts.

Second, the gospel of breathable insulation....Especialy for the serious back sweaters.

Pan

Newzy
05-17-2009, 21:56
Has anybody used a light weight hammock under another hammock with an insulated relective pad with a layer of heavy weight polarteck fabric glued to it facing up?

Take-a-knee
05-17-2009, 22:19
Has anybody used a light weight hammock under another hammock with an insulated relective pad with a layer of heavy weight polarteck fabric glued to it facing up?

Sounds sort of like a homemade Hennessy Supershelter. I don't think it would be suitable for backpacking due to the polarfleece's weight and bulk.

stevebo
06-16-2009, 20:30
Somewhere, I heard of some one drilling holes in their pad to vent it and prevent condensation. I havnt tried it, but it looked like it would work.