PDA

View Full Version : Stone Mountain Park, NC, May 12-13

Carolinahammockhanger
05-14-2009, 19:28
After leaving South Mountains State Park I headed to Stone Mountain State Park. After my arrival I proceed to day hike the 4.5 mile Stone Mountain Loop Trail. This was a awesome hike. Views, waterfalls, clearly marked trail, and a historic home site. The views were really nice since I could see no development anywhere. After this beautiful hike I fished the rivers for a while. At about 7pm or so I started to backpack the 2.5 mile Widow's Creek trail. (also part of the Mountain to Sea Trail) I signed in for site F (the most secluded). I had a nice stream beside my campsite. Deer and turkeys were very abundant in the park. Campsite was very nice. Perfect hammock trees at all the other sites I passed along the way. Even a pretty waterfall after site A. Weather was great. I was comfortable in my single-nest and I loved my Maccat tarp! In the morning I broke camp and fished for most of the day. This park has a very nice family campground with showers as well. Plenty of hanging spots there too. The pictures tell the story better than I can, so take a peek.:thumbup:

Carolinahammockhanger
05-14-2009, 19:46
I had to add these. enjoy!

neo
05-14-2009, 20:28
:)great trip report and pics,thanks for sharing:cool:neo

slowhike
05-14-2009, 22:00
Great park! I love hiking there.
Can you imagine living in a place like that, were the restored homestead is?

NCPatrick
05-15-2009, 04:51
Nice report! My favorite site there is site F, although A is also not bad, with the waterfall right there to play in. D is way up on a ridge, which would not be ideal in a storm, nice view though. I stayed in site B a few weekends ago with daughter #2, and found that B stands for "buggy". Probably won't stay there again.

Thanks for posting all the pics! Sounds like you're having a great time hiking all the parks.

YardDog
05-15-2009, 06:56
I've watched one of your videos (which I think was at Stone Mountain). Was it at site F?

Thanks for your critique of some of the other sites as well. I've tucked that info away for future reference! :D

YardDog
05-15-2009, 06:57
Thanks for the report, and especially the pictures. I've got to plan a trip there!

YardDog
05-15-2009, 07:25
Never mind... I found the video (it's on this site... duh :o). I watched it and you said that it was site A. Thanks for posting the video. I will definitely refer back to it when I get ready to make a trip to Stone Mountain.

NCPatrick
05-15-2009, 08:29
Sorry, just saw this... yeah, I was at site A. Site F as mentioned above is awesome as well, and I'll most likely try to camp there next time. Glad you enjoyed the video!

Carolinahammockhanger
05-15-2009, 13:21
your welcome. And thanks to all who gave me advice on hammocking here on this site. it made for some enjoyable trips. Stone Mt is great.

Shug
05-16-2009, 18:33
I always loved walking down that rock face .... It seems to go on and on and the further you go the more careful you steep ...er, I mean step.
Glad you had a right goodie......
Shug