PDA

View Full Version : NorCal / Boggs Mt., Cobb CA / April 4-6 2014

E.A.Y.
01-14-2014, 21:19
Boggs Boggs Boggs!

https://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/2/0/9/9/myabode.jpg

Boggs Mountain State Demonstration Forest in beautiful Lake County California will be the site of two, count 'em TWO Nor Cal hangs this season, the first weekends of April and October.

This is the announcement and thread for the April hang. I will update this post as more questions come up or new information is available.

April 4 - 6, Friday afternoon through Sunday afternoon.
Ridge Campsite (the group camp)

Boggs is a beautiful site for a hang, drive up and dump your stuff and be bewildered by the plethora of pines from which to hang.
therearealsoplentyofflatspotsforthegrounddwellers

Here'a a link to the trip report thread (https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=81443) for the last hang here.

and a link to the Cal Fire site (http://calfire.ca.gov/resource_mgt/resource_mgt_stateforests_boggsmtn.php) for Boggs

The map of the forest is in the right hand sidebar, "base map" PDF format.
AND a direct link (http://calfire.ca.gov/resource_mgt/downloads/BDSF_basemap.pdf)to the PDF map

Site Characteristics
There is no water available at the campsite. Bring what you'll need for the weekend.
No bear lockers or garbage cans. We've successfully used our cars at night for this. I'll bring a small garbage can and a couple spare bags for the group.
There is a fire ring - bring firewood, and a charcoal grill is also available. Also two concrete picnic tables near but not next to the fire ring.
Forecast? www.weatherunderground.com and search for "cobb, ca" is probably the best forecast for the Boggs Mountain area. We are on a ridge, so it may be windy.
There are ticks. Sometimes yellowjackets.
Dogs are OK.

Things to Do and Bring
We will have a potluck dinner on Saturday - bring whatever you'd like to share if you feel like sharing. About 1/2 an hour before sundown.
There is plenty of excellent hiking and for the stay-at-camps, I'd suggest a pack of cards or some other games.
Don't forget a chair for campfire lounging. A small pad for sitting on the cold cold concrete benches is also nice.
I've used my longer tree straps at this site, depends on which pines you pick.

I'm asking for $5 per car per night to help pay for the $25/night group site fee. Please paypal me (pm me for my paypal address) so I can pay the fee when I arrive on site, or if you are adverse to paypal, pay me when you get on site.

Directions
When coming from the south on 175, look for a big blue sign that says Cal Fire and Boggs Mountain. the road is called "Forestry Rd."

You are strongly advised to print the map of the site or buy an even better map (available at the entrance to Boggs at the kiosk for a paltry dollar)
or you risk taking 2 hours to find the camp. I am not kidding, it has happened. The roads at Boggs are marked: roads have an orange stick sign and trails have a brown stick sign. But they are easy to miss.

That's it!
See you there!

Sidewinder
01-17-2014, 00:19
Thanks Liz. Louise and I would love to attend, again. We'll bring the dog too.

Thanks for putting this together.

S.

Fronkey
01-17-2014, 00:35
Sounds like fun and it shouldn't be a problem for Tala and I to make it to this one. Pockets will be there too if she's in Nor Cal during that weekend. Thanks for putting it together E.A.Y.

Fronkey

Kapang!
01-17-2014, 13:22
Woohoo! Already planning for spring. I love it. I'll be there

meld
01-20-2014, 10:05
I will be down as tentative at this point. I'm crossing my fingers.

Mannowar
01-20-2014, 12:12
This is going on the calendar as a definite possible maybe!

garyg763
01-20-2014, 22:23
Okay, on my calendar. Work cancels. Hope I can make this one and I might just bring my new pup. Thanks EAY

SLCpod
01-27-2014, 23:23
I am a maybe for now. Thanks for organizing this!

DaveTelf
02-06-2014, 16:59
I'd like to come again, let me see if I can round up anyone else to join me. Thanks E.A.Y. for organizing this again!

E.A.Y.
02-09-2014, 19:16
OK all you Boggs Boosters! Do what I did and stick a link to this very thread in your sig!

Omerta925
02-28-2014, 22:05
Great!! Ill do my best to make it!!

E.A.Y.
03-19-2014, 14:49
Lots of maybes so far.

A bit more than 2 weeks to go.
Start planning!!

DaveTelf and Other Dave are hopeful
Omerta295 plans on it
Sidewinder and Louise and dog will be there
Fronkey and dog and maybe Pockets.
Kapang!
meld is maybe
Mannowar is maybe
garyg763 maybe
SLCpod maybe

Kapang!
03-22-2014, 09:48
I haven't been out all winter. Very much looking forward to this event. Thanks for putting it together, EAY

murban
03-22-2014, 10:46
I'm ready to get out for a few nights in the woods. Sounds fun. Looking forward to meeting some new faces.

E.A.Y.
03-23-2014, 22:57
Excellent! We will have a great time, based on previous outings to Boggs Mt.

meld
03-23-2014, 23:13
I'll be there.

Kapang!
03-26-2014, 21:01
Glad to hear it, Meld. Let me be the first to fill up your styrofoam cup with some java :)

BTW, I was planning to bring some sharps and misc cooking gear if anyone wants to do some swapping.

garyg763
03-27-2014, 21:22
If I can get my jobs done I'm going to try to make it Saturday . Save me two trees.

murban
03-28-2014, 20:05
Hi all. I will be coming up early Saturday morning.
Mike

E.A.Y.
03-29-2014, 16:16
Thanks, everyone for keeping us updated on your attendance. It will have rained recently at the site, so you might bring a car that can get muddy and handle muck, rather than a low slung sedan. In dry weather the roads are pretty good, but the rangers tell me it can be sloppy for a few days after it rains.

GregB
03-30-2014, 11:04
It looks like I will be able to make it. Thunder and I should arrive sometime around Friday afternoon.

Kapang!
03-30-2014, 15:15
Wow! Cody, Thunder and Tala. This is going to be legendary!

Sidewinder
03-31-2014, 08:49
I will be there with the dog for sure. Not sure if Louise will make it since she has to work on Sunday. Looking forward to seeing everyone again.

S

E.A.Y.
03-31-2014, 09:05
Medium-range forecast
Friday: Rain showers early with overcast skies later in the day. High 53F. Winds N at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 50%.
Friday Night: Partly cloudy skies. Low 37F. Winds NW at 5 to 10 mph.
Saturday: Sunshine and clouds mixed. High 62F. Winds NW at 5 to 10 mph.
Saturday Night: Some clouds early will give way to generally clear conditions overnight. Low 42F. Winds NNW at 5 to 10 mph.
Sunday: Mainly sunny. High 72F. Winds N at 5 to 10 mph.

People so far
Me (E.A.Y.):
Sidewinder and dog
GregB with dog (Thunder)
Kapang!
murban (Saturday arrival)
meld
garyg763 (Saturday arrival)
Fronkey with dog (Tala)

Fronkey
04-01-2014, 13:00
If all goes well, this will be the plan.

I am going up to Tahoe National Forest to crank out some miles with Tala for a few days. Then Friday I will drive back home, shower up (you're welcome) and pick up Pockets and we will be there sometime Friday Evening. Looking forward to it.

Fronkey

GregB
04-02-2014, 10:03
Because of stuff happening at work I think Thunder and I will be coming in on Saturday instead of Friday.

Kapang!
04-02-2014, 17:59
I am Saturday, too. I was waiting until I knew for sure. Now, I know.

Sidewinder
04-02-2014, 19:12
I will be there Friday but will have to leave Saturday afternoon/evening if I bring Louise. She has to work on Sunday. Hopefully I will at least get to see the Saturday arrivals. Oh, I may drag my son along too.

S

Mannowar
04-02-2014, 22:41
Unfortunately I am deployed for work this week, I was really trying to make this hang to meet everyone. I will be watching for post hang debrief and standing by for a possible October mission.

Have a great time everybody!

E.A.Y.
04-03-2014, 13:42
forecast as of Thursday at noon.

Friday: Considerable cloudiness. Occasional rain showers in the afternoon. High 54F. Winds WNW at 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 50%.

Friday Night: A few clouds. Low 37F. Winds NW at 5 to 10 mph.

Saturday: Plentiful sunshine. High 62F. Winds NW at 5 to 10 mph.

Saturday Night: Clear skies. Low 42F. Winds NW at 5 to 10 mph.

Sunday: Sunny skies. High 72F. Winds light and variable.

Updated people, canines, and arrival times
Me (E.A.Y.): Friday afternoon
Fronkey and Pockets with dog (Tala) Friday arrival
Sidewinder and dog (Cody) and maybe Louise, possibly son also (arrive Fri, leave Sat)
GregB with dog (Thunder) arriving Saturday
Kapang! Saturday arrival
murban (Saturday arrival)
meld
garyg763 (Saturday arrival)

E.A.Y.
04-04-2014, 18:57
Sidewinder, Louise, Quin; Fronkey, Pockets; and I are setting up, off hiking, and set up, respectively!

E.A.Y.
04-05-2014, 13:27
Kapang! and murban have arrived. Last night's wind was a bit annoying: I think a sock is in my future!

Trip report thread here:
https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?91334-NorCal-Boggs-Mountain-Hang-4

E.A.Y.
04-10-2014, 15:16
The link for October 2014's (https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?91556-Hang-5-NorCal-Boggs-Mt-Oct-3-5-2014) planning thread.