PDA

View Full Version : Northeast Ohio

Brains
01-23-2014, 19:00
Does anyone know of anywhere to camp in lake, Geauga or Ashtabula county in the winter. I called lake metroparks and they are closed for the winter. Punderson state park is open but $20 a night. Geauga wants you to bring your your own firewood and there is a cost. Just looking for something that would accommodate 5-15 people and allow use of downed wood for fires.
Something similar to Mohican and hocking hills but further north
Thanks in advance
Ed

Brother Jeffrey
01-25-2014, 03:27
Not much like Mohican or Wildcat or anything like that up this way. From what I have heard, the few spots at CVNP are not hammock friendly and are basically overgrown fields of grass. I have camped at Headwaters park (Geauga Park District) in the past. It is not very private and gets use during the day, but at night it is quiet. I am sure during the winter it will see a lot less use. Don't remember what I paid, but it was pretty minimal. The sights are pretty close together so depending on group size maybe consider getting 2 sites? Also, I was unaware that they want you to bring your own firewood and used fallen stuff. :mellow: It was a nice place all in all, I went late fall 2012 (I think?) and didn't see much foot traffic through the area. Will probably go back sometime in fair weather and launch a canoe or rowboat and do some fishing.

QiWiz
01-25-2014, 10:23
Does anyone know of anywhere to camp in lake, Geauga or Ashtabula county in the winter. I called lake metroparks and they are closed for the winter. Punderson state park is open but $20 a night. Geauga wants you to bring your your own firewood and there is a cost. Just looking for something that would accommodate 5-15 people and allow use of downed wood for fires.
Thanks in advance
Ed

You will find lots of options in western PA, though you will have to drive a bit further, obviously.

MacCherokee
01-25-2014, 12:23
Allegheny national forest is free and wonderful, but like qiwiz says a few hours drive.
All of the Pennsylvania state forests and parks have some type of fee.
When are you planning this for?

Chard
01-25-2014, 13:48
Thanks in advance
Ed

If further north is your cup of tea, why not consider an EGL hang across the border. Our next trip is our Winter Backcountry Winter 2013-14 (https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?p=1151424#post1151424).

MacCherokee
01-25-2014, 15:56
If further north is your cup of tea, why not consider an EGL hang across the border. Our next trip is our Winter Backcountry Winter 2013-14 (https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?p=1151424#post1151424).

Sounds fun but might be a bit more of a drive unless they cross Lake Erie.:laugh:

Brains
01-25-2014, 16:32
This was going to be part of a BCUSA outing, just getting this hammock thing started. I have some land in Titusville PA that I could go to but was just looking for something around me. Pretty sad most are not open in winter. I would love to hang out with you guys and learn some stuff. My only outings have been in hocking hills and Mohican. Thanks for the responses. One of them at Mohican a group from HF was there and hiked through where we were and hung out a bit and left us some chili. Pretty fun.
Thanks again
Ed

riverjoe
01-25-2014, 17:26
We've been mixxing up HF and BCUSA guys for a couple of outings and find they are quite compatable .( No major incidents so far ). Actually quite a few guys are double breasted . Definitely have winter camping dialed in with their fluffy underquilts etc .

Brains
01-25-2014, 17:33
Hopefully soon I will have a combined outing in Titusville PA soon. I have a lot of work related things that need to be done by the end of February. Looking forward to having people out to my property, does not get much use except for trout season
Ed

K-Dogg
05-26-2015, 15:43
Lake Metropark has one camp spot open year around. Girdled road reservation has a spot about 1/3 mile in....picnic table...fire ring...overlook stream....nice. Hiking trails are a good workout...lots of up and down. Some use during day.....quiet at night...hammock friendly...good hardwoods provided. My brother and I hung there in Aprill....Burrrrr.... 15 degrees at night.....but not so busy....may be busier during day in better whether.

K-Dogg
08-16-2015, 14:29
Did you ever organize a hand in Titusville?