PDA

View Full Version : Bugnet time

funbun
03-28-2007, 18:55
I'm starting to build a new hammock for this season. It's about time to add a bug net. What are you guys doing?

I'm thinking of making a Tom Claytor style bugnet attached with Velcro like a Speer. That way I wouldn't need a ridgeline.

rptinker
03-28-2007, 20:02
Hi funbun!
it would be better if you have a structural ridgeline. It would save you the trouble in adjusting your hammock everytime you set it up. I have a claytor clone with zipper on both sides. I used two slider/runner per side making entry and exit easier. The ridgeline was attached to hammock ends like Jeff's (http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeHammock4.html) and through the netting (i poke a hole near the grossgrain netting support and sewed a patch of grossgrain for support around it). You can stow the netting by wrapping it around the ridgeline and tying it with the netting's shock cord. I also tied the ridgeline a little bit higher on the hammock support. This will give you more headroom and uncluttered space specially if you use spreader bar for your netting.

have a nice day!

P.s. velcro sucks. Noisy and difficult to close specially at night!

Coffee
03-28-2007, 23:29
I like my ridgeline, it allows the same hang as said above and I can hang stuff from it at night.

A couple thoughts.

By TC and no ridgeline are you meaning cutting a bugnet small enough so it is pulled tight when you get in the hammock? If so I would be careful not to pull it too tight and stress the seams. That seams like it could be a weak link. You could reinforce it with GGR, but if you are going to do that I would just add a ridgeline.

Don't forget the biggest ones bite from underneath. I made a bivy that goes around the hammock. I have a pic in my gallery. I am about to make another one. Something with a bigger opening. This one is hard to get in and out of.

funbun
03-29-2007, 08:02
I've got plenty of noseeum. I've have thought of making a tube bugnet.

Hack
03-29-2007, 15:34
What about one like this: ENO Guardian BugNet (http://www.eaglesnestoutfittersinc.com/guardian-bug-net.html)?

funbun
03-29-2007, 19:41
Yeah, something like that.

Just Jeff
03-29-2007, 19:45
Holy crap - that guy looks just like my dad. Had to do a double-take!

16 oz and $50 is a bit much though.

slowhike
03-29-2007, 19:50
did you notice the little plastic clips they use? i wonder if they would turn loose of a few?
i don't know just what size they are, could be handy for attaching stuff???

Just Jeff
03-29-2007, 19:52
Think they're more convenient than JRB or BPL micro-biners?

blackbishop351
03-29-2007, 19:53
did you notice the little plastic clips they use? i wonder if they would turn loose of a few?
i don't know just what size they are, could be handy for attaching stuff???

Tim is on an "accessorizing craze" :p

slowhike
03-29-2007, 20:08
just a thought... seems that they would be pretty easy to clip & un-clip to a shock cord. but i don't know how well they would stay put if they didn't have some tension on them.
just thinking out loud:confused:

Just Jeff
03-29-2007, 20:13
Definitely worth thinking about - let us know how they work if you manage to get some!

blackbishop351
03-29-2007, 20:18
just a thought... seems that they would be pretty easy to clip & un-clip to a shock cord. but i don't know how well they would stay put if they didn't have some tension on them.
just thinking out loud:confused:

I'm just messin' with ya, man :p You know from experience that I love hearing your ideas!

rptinker
03-29-2007, 20:30
hi funbun!
there is type of bugnet that is easily removable and adequately covers the bottom. I saw this one at Jeff's website and at yahoo http://www.tothewoods.net/HammockCampingBugfree.html. I think the guy who designed it was Mirage at yahoo hammock camping. It has velcro at both ends and shock corded edges which will help the netting snug the mammock securely on the side/bottom. I already made one. Its easy to get in or out because of the shock cored sides. I made mine a little bit wider to totally cover the bottom of the hammock.