PDA

View Full Version : Dangerbird vs. Blackbird

skinn
02-05-2014, 07:32
Newbie here, I did a quick search but didn't see exactly what I was looking for. Please forgive me if this has been discussed at length already as I am sure it is a comparison that has been drawn often before.

I was pretty sure that I was going to get a Hennessey as that is what one of my camping buddies has. That was until I stumbled on this forum. Now the two top contenders are the Dream Hammock Dangerbird and the Warbonnet Blackbird.

I camp in early spring and late fall in the Adirondack mountains, we see nights down near and sometimes below the 32 degree mark. That being said I was thinking about getting the DL Blackbird so I could use one of my existing ground pads with it. Then I saw the Dangerbird and fact that it is sold as a four season. I don't really consider my camping to be four season but am wondering if it will be that much warmer than the Blackbird?

One final note is obviously overall comfort, I understand this is subjective but any argument for one or the other is welcome. Thanks!!

Edited to Add:
I am a medium framed but shorter camper, around 5'5" and 150 ish lbs

Gadgets
02-05-2014, 07:41
One thing you'll want to consider is that the Dangerbird will have an overcover and the Blackbird will not. If you are looking for a hammock with an overcover you might want to consider the Blackbird XLC and Thunderbird from Dream Hammock.

skinn
02-05-2014, 07:50
Oh boy, the Blackbird XLC wasn't on my radar for some reason. I guess now I have another decision!! I like the looks of that too, any pros or cons for going with the Blackbird XLC??

sr1355
02-05-2014, 07:51
I've own both the DB and BB, both are great hammocks, both are well made, both have great customer service. DB is convertible, meaning you can go with open hammock, stowing both bug netting and over cover, you can have bug netted hammock stowing over cover, or you can have enclosed hammock stowing bug net. BB no options, BB does have the shelf, which can be nice for storage. The DB hammock pullout are on the hammock body and allow for the hammock to be staked out when not using bug net or over cover.

Personally I prefer the wider feeling DB over the BB, that is not to say the BB is inferior as it is my personal preference to have a wider more open hammock. I also like the multiple setup option available for the DB. As for warmth of one over another with the over cover the DB may have a temperature benefit. Even with the bug net both the DB and BB will see a temp differential inside the hammock compared to outside air temps, won't be much 3-6* but it will be there.

With the DB the bug net and over cover stay attached to the hammock at all time, the Thunderbird allows you to complete remove these items to lighten the weight of you system as needed.

Conure
02-05-2014, 07:56
Both great hammocks! I had the same dilemma a few months back, between the exact same two hammocks, when deciding which one to purchase for my upcoming AT thru-hike.

I had the opportunity to lay in a few gathered end hammocks and then the BB. Once I experienced the "footbox" of the BB I was sold. For me, it completely alleviated calf ridge and suddenly I was ultra comfortable. Many have no issues at all with calf ridge or comfort in a 'standard' gathered end but I did.

As probably more will suggest, try out as many hammocks as you can to find out what you like and don't like, it doesn't matter who makes the hammock. Once you begin to understand your body and comfort levels, the choice will become clear(er) : )

Final word on quality, you can't go wrong with either of these two hammocks.

skinn
02-05-2014, 07:58
Thanks for the honest review of both systems, really leaning toward the Dangerbird for most of the reasons that you stated. I like the option of the top cover since we do see some fairly cool nights. Man this is tough, of course whatever I decide on I have to get past the finance committee (wife), she agreed to the Hennessy when I showed here but now for the price of the Hennessy package I am getting just the hammock and will need to spend another ~100 or so on a tarp!! Oh well it is an investment, I like nice gear and am willing to spend the money on it.

Gadgets
02-05-2014, 08:10
If you can hold off until spring you can go to one of the group hangs and I'm sure someone will give you a chance to try out either hammock. If you make it to MAHHA at Pine Grove Furnace you can try my Thunderbird.

barich942
02-05-2014, 08:18
Check out the trip planing threads and see if there are any up coming events in your area. It helps a LOT to get into a few hammocks and most Hammockers don't mind you trying there stuff.
I purchased a hammock and went on a hang. Had a chance to try other hammocks and that gave me a huge education.

Cali
02-05-2014, 08:20
I really like the personalization you get with the Dream Hammocks, as in choice of colors and material. Also the quilt clips on the hammock are very nice.

Brancher
02-05-2014, 09:06
I owned a BB and currently use an SLD Streamliner (and add a bugnet, etc as needed).

The BB is highly regarded, but just didn't work for me - I am an R-L sleeper and the stock BB is for L-R sleepers (I think I got that right). In addition, I don't really need a 'shelf' and felt there was a lot of 'extra material'. Most, however, love that feature and I'm probably the only person in the western world who felt otherwise. I just like to hang a stuff sack or mesh sack from ridge line for organization and the Streamliner has a great lay so I can keep it simple.

I had a chance to see a dream hammocks product at a hang - think it was a Roaming Gnome, and am really impressed with them - but I've never owned one so no multi-night observations on that one. But I think DH will be my next.

btw, I also use a ccf pad in a DL hammock - never had any warmth issues down to about 23F or so (I just layer up if needed).

Hope this helps.

OutandBack
02-05-2014, 11:18
Oh boy, the Blackbird XLC wasn't on my radar for some reason. I guess now I have another decision!! I like the looks of that too, any pros or cons for going with the Blackbird XLC??

Pros and cons. Look at zipper options.
It's such a little thing always over looked that is so important if you go with a covered hammock.

You can't do this with an XLC I believe it only has 1 zipper pull.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8062/8252142607_9cfb64d033_z.jpg

or this... a vent to reduce condensation in some temp conditions.
(additional zipper pulls were order on this hammock)

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8348/8253212494_89ec552b57_z.jpg

The XLC covered hammock only comes in 11' which is a bit long for a person 5'5" tall.
A thunderbird, dangerbird or roaming gnome with optional winter cover in place of a bug net(pictured) also comes in 10'
with your choice of fabrics and layers.

HangFan
02-05-2014, 12:53
I'm with Brancher (Your not the only one) that doesnt see the need for the "shelf". The good news is that either one you chose would sell very quickly here for what seems to be very little loss. If you can get to a group hang, I'm sure you could try several models. They are both very nice quality pieces of gear. Good luck with your decision.

ojdash
02-05-2014, 13:02
I had a BB and used the shelf alot, I thought it was handy, but it felt confining and the footbox did not get rid of the ridge pressure for me :/ I have a Roaming Gnome now and love it. +1 to OutandBack, I love being able to stow the net in the fall and Winter and deploy it in the summer. I have an extra zipper and it is really so convenient, love my dream hammock

Izraelius
02-08-2014, 12:53
+1 on the extra zipper. Best advice I received when ordering my DH Roaming Gnome!