PDA

View Full Version : Spring MAHHA hike in

doogie
02-06-2014, 10:39
Is anyone planning on hiking into the spring MAHHA this year. I did last year from Caledonia into Pine Grove Furnace (North bound) and was looking to hike in from the North (South bound) this year. Any recommendations on where to start and camp. Any others interested?

atrane21
02-06-2014, 11:15
depending on work schedule i would be up for this. Were u thinking hike a little wed/thur stay the night at some point and then hike the rest of the way the next day?

doogie
02-06-2014, 11:38
Last year I hiked in a little ways Wed night so I could have an early start and a long hike on Thursday, then a very easy hike in Friday. I mostly did that so I could scope out the possibility of having my scout troop go from Caledonia to PGF for the 20 mile hike requirement for hiking merit badge. I'm planning on taking Thursday and Friday off so I could either start Wednesday night or Thursday morning. I would like to get into PGF fairly early so I can set up, shower, go shopping, etc before it gets too late.

Black Foot
02-06-2014, 14:18
Last year Dan (Tinkr) and I hiked from the North starting at Rte 174 in Boiling Springs to the James Fry (Tagg Run) Shelter 12 miles then it's 7.6 miles into Pine Grove. Not nearly as nice as the hike up from Caledonia IMHO but the Rock Maze is kind of cool and the section right south of Boiling Springs goes through corn fields.

I'd like to do a hike-in this year as well.

TDHanger
02-07-2014, 05:44
I am interested in hiking in. I will watch this post to see what the plans are then will try to get extra day off work. Are you planning on shuttling or hiking back out Sunday?

doogie
02-07-2014, 07:05
I will want to do a shuttle. There are normally lots of people that will give a lift back to your car, but it's nice to line someone up ahead of time.

2Questions
02-07-2014, 08:06
Donna here....Please keep in mind that there will be NO parking permitted in the Group Camping Area before Friday afternoon, and after Sunday afternoon. Please do not ask the PGFST Office for permission...you won't get it.:) This area is reserved by our group from Friday afternoon until Sunday afternoon only.

Parking for pre and post hikers is at the AT parking near the Furnace Stack Pavilion. There is parking down at Caledonia State Park in a parking lot on the other side of Rt. 30. You will need to register your car with the park office.

overthinker
02-07-2014, 11:26
I'd consider a hike in, it would be good to get out and stretch the legs for a day or two.

What direction is everyone coming from? Might be useful in trying to set up an efficient car system. I'm coming from Maryland, 270N up into PA on 15N.

Downhill Trucker
02-07-2014, 19:22
I'm in for a post/pre hike. I'm coming from Baltimore. I've hiked the AT a lot in that area. There are a lot of side trails in Michaux St Forest I haven't explored but would like to. We could even make a circuit hike with those trails. In Michaux there are tons of great campsites.

Padovini
02-08-2014, 13:32
I was wanting to hike in also. My in-laws home is only one mile from Penmar (PA/MD line) I was gonna hike it from their home, but it's over 30 miles. If anyone is interested from the south, I can start at Caledonia and help car pool Thursday night.

Brian P.

MML
02-09-2014, 09:52
I am planning on doing a Post Hike out of the Spring MAHHA starting Sunday Morning. Going North Bound for 2 evenings. Still in the planning stages more info to come.
I have done a lot of pre-hikes--its time for a post hike!!!

MML
02-09-2014, 09:58
The thread I started on the Spring MAHHA POST HIKE is here:

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?p=1195856#post1195856

harleynemo
02-09-2014, 16:30
I am planning on doing a hike in from Gathland State Park. Planning on leaving on Monday and getting into Pine Grove on Friday.

Looks like 12 mile days with one longer day around 17 miles.

Getting a ride from my better-half into Gathland on Monday, but will be looking to catch a ride back from Pine Grove Furnace to the DC area on Sunday:)

If anyone is doing a post-hike out of Pine Grove Furnace and then heading back to the DC area….I could be talked into a post hike:)

Uphill
02-17-2014, 07:46
I am planning on doing a hike in from Gathland State Park. Planning on leaving on Monday and getting into Pine Grove on Friday.

Getting a ride from my better-half into Gathland on Monday, but will be looking to catch a ride back from Pine Grove Furnace to the DC area on Sunday:)

If anyone is doing a post-hike out of Pine Grove Furnace and then heading back to the DC area….I could be talked into a post hike:)

I'm planning on driving up, and staying at Quarry Gap Thursday night, then hiking in to Pine Grove on Friday. I will be hiking out and returning to Washington DC on Sunday. I've started a thread, which can be viewed here (https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=88472#).

You're welcome to join if you'd like. The invitation is open to any and all who'd like to do a pre-hike from Quarry Gap.

WV
02-17-2014, 12:13
Sounds like there will be quite a few pilgrims on the trail. Me and Freia on the "Path to Enlightenment", too. ("Enlightenment" means Freia will have started toting her own food by then and probably some stuff of mine as well.) :)

harleynemo
03-13-2014, 18:15

Just posting to revive this thread……

I am leaving Gathland on April 21st, and planning to get into Pine Grove Friday evening.

G...Hawk
03-19-2014, 14:49
Daydreaming about doing a pre or post hike.
Perhaps a pre-hike into PGFSP from the north or a post hike northbound from PGFSP.

Did the northbound from Caledonia last year with a small group.

G

doogie
03-19-2014, 14:55
Daydreaming about doing a pre or post hike.
Perhaps a pre-hike into PGFSP from the north or a post hike northbound from PGFSP.

Did the northbound from Caledonia last year with a small group.

G
I'm still hoping to do the South bound into MAHHA this year. Tentative plan is to start in Boiling Springs Thursday, but I'm somewhat flexible. I bet there's some neat rocks on the way :).
I'd like to set up a shuttle.

If I hiked as much as I dream of hiking I'd be in much better shape.

G...Hawk
03-19-2014, 15:52
Last year Dan (Tinkr) and I hiked from the North starting at Rte 174 in Boiling Springs to the James Fry (Tagg Run) Shelter 12 miles then it's 7.6 miles into Pine Grove. Not nearly as nice as the hike up from Caledonia IMHO but the Rock Maze is kind of cool and the section right south of Boiling Springs goes through corn fields.

I'm still hoping to do the South bound into MAHHA this year. Tentative plan is to start in Boiling Springs Thursday, but I'm somewhat flexible. I bet there's some neat rocks on the way :).

A quick look at the distance: looks good. I am flexible. Liked the idea of a few miles on Wednesday night.
( I would stay with my brother in Harrisburg on Tuesday night, which ever night, coming from NY.)
I have to read and check if the corn fields would prevent a few miles hiking, on the Wednesday night.

G

perrito
04-05-2014, 15:28
I plan on parking at Pine Grove Furnace and getting a shuttle down to PenMar and heading north from there. Starting on Tuesday, 4/22, I plan to stay at Deer Lick (5 miles), Rocky Mt. (10.2 miles) and Birch Run (13 miles) then 9.6 miles to PGFSP.

G...Hawk
04-05-2014, 18:34
doogie,

Are you still planning on the MAHHA southbound pre-hike?

Thoughts of pre-hike from Boiling Springs have gone from daydreaming to playing with my gear.
I am getting ready.

G

Padovini
04-05-2014, 20:32
Doing a north bound out of Caldonia leaving Thursday morning. Might be me by myself, or I potentially have 3 guests coming with me. Tentative arrival to PGF Friday afternoon. Getting the gear ready. I hope to catch a ride back to my car Friday after we are set up. Then I can also have the luxurys of car camping too :)

Brian P.

doogie
04-05-2014, 20:37
G...Hawk, Sure am! I'm doing a hike to help get in shape next weekend. I hope to be sporting a new Argon Sil hex tarp and grizz beak. I have gotten Thursday and Friday vacation days approved. I was planning on driving to Boiling Springs Thursday morning and hiking to the Tagg Run/James Fry shelter area (about 12 miles), then into PGFSP on Friday (about 7.5 miles). I have not yet checked on the overnight parking in Boiling Springs.

doogie,

Are you still planning on the MAHHA southbound pre-hike?

Thoughts of pre-hike from Boiling Springs have gone from daydreaming to playing with my gear.
I am getting ready.

G

Downhill Trucker
04-06-2014, 12:41
If you guys are coming in from the north, there is an INCREDIBLE campsite for hangers at pole steeple overlook. You have to haul in water, or go down to the lake and get some but the sunset view and fire pot there are top notch.

doogie
04-06-2014, 19:14
I've done the pole steeple hike, quite a workout for such a short hike. I don't think I want to push it that far on Thursday....that's just a mile or two from the final destination.

harleynemo
04-08-2014, 17:40
I plan on parking at Pine Grove Furnace and getting a shuttle down to PenMar and heading north from there. Starting on Tuesday, 4/22, I plan to stay at Deer Lick (5 miles), Rocky Mt. (10.2 miles) and Birch Run (13 miles) then 9.6 miles to PGFSP.

perrito,

I am hiking northbound starting on Monday from Gathland with TwoTents(hoping he will still make it). I will be behind you on Tuesday night, but should be at Rocky Mt. Shelter(hopefully) on Wednesday night, and then Birch Run on Thursday. There is going to be a whole mess of us Thursday and Friday on the trail…..it's going to be great.

perrito
04-08-2014, 19:54
Sounds like great company. :)

Padovini
04-09-2014, 09:15
Just an FYI for anyone hiking norh to PGF. I have an AT app on my ipad, and it has comments from hikers posted on it. A comment dated 12/26/2013 said that there is an unofficial custodian at the Birch Run shelter that is a scam artist/pervert that has herassed female hikers. He goes by the name "Birchy".

I personally do not plan to stay at the shelter Thursday due to this because I will have two young females in my group. We will find something in the vicinity, but far enough away to stay away from Birchy.

Brian P.

doogie
04-09-2014, 09:49
You might want to post this in the North Bound hike in thread too. Thanks

perrito
04-09-2014, 20:19
Just an FYI for anyone hiking norh to PGF. I have an AT app on my ipad, and it has comments from hikers posted on it. A comment dated 12/26/2013 said that there is an unofficial custodian at the Birch Run shelter that is a scam artist/pervert that has herassed female hikers. He goes by the name "Birchy".

I personally do not plan to stay at the shelter Thursday due to this because I will have two young females in my group. We will find something in the vicinity, but far enough away to stay away from Birchy.

Brian P.

Forewarned is forearmed. Now we can plan on some fun and mess with this guy.

Demeter
04-09-2014, 20:55
If I was staying there, I would love to mess with him a little, especially with some of my HF homies as back-up!

Demeter
04-09-2014, 20:57
And to be fair, we stayed there last year without event. Fun times and no drama.

Padovini
04-10-2014, 05:41
Yes there are other comments on the same guy saying that he was real nice and there were no issues. However, I feel a little better erroring on the safe side.

Brian P.

Padovini
04-10-2014, 05:48
Forewarned is forearmed. Now we can plan on some fun and mess with this guy.

Don't know if I would go that far. I would be interested to play it by ear. From the sounds of it, there are going to be about 10+ of us calling it a night at this shelter on Thursday. We may be safe in numbers. If we are uncomfortable, we can select another location.

My original goal was 10 to 12 miles from Caldonia depending on how my group is doing. There is a possibility we hike right on past the Birch Run shelter and set up camp closer to PGF.

Brian P.

harleynemo
04-10-2014, 06:47
I will be aware of the issue at Birch Run, but I feel fine staying there with a couple of other folks.

G...Hawk
04-10-2014, 11:58
If I was staying there, I would love to mess with him a little, especially with some of my HF homies as back-up!

And to be fair, we stayed there last year without event. Fun times and no drama.

Can imagine you would cleverly handle an antisocial trail character.
I would be your backup.

Expect a group would diminish a problem at Birch Run.
It is good to take note of a disruptive person in the area.

Downhill Trucker
04-10-2014, 12:32
There are plenty of campsites away from the shelter anyway. Wait til you see the Yeti Men site. You won't want to stay anywhere but there.

Syb
04-10-2014, 16:47
Work just might permit me driving to Birch Run and hiking to Pine Grove provided I could get a lift back to my car on Sunday. I would most likely get to Birch run probably after 6 p.m. Thursday evening.

perrito
04-10-2014, 19:43
Work just might permit me driving to Birch Run and hiking to Pine Grove provided I could get a lift back to my car on Sunday. I would most likely get to Birch run probably after 6 p.m. Thursday evening.
Sounds like we're gonna have a party Thursday night with all of these people at Birch Run! It'll be good to see you again Syb!

sweetbabyd
04-12-2014, 08:29
hey kids! looking forward to seeing all my friends at PGF. no hiking, as i had a knee meniscus surgery last October that has still not healed... ugh...anyone else ever have this problem? anyway, see you at MAHHA, i'll have my little wonder-dog Olive ;)

harleynemo
04-12-2014, 10:25
hey kids! looking forward to seeing all my friends at PGF. no hiking, as i had a knee meniscus surgery last October that has still not healed... ugh...anyone else ever have this problem? anyway, see you at MAHHA, i'll have my little wonder-dog Olive ;)

Can't wait to see everyone too;)

perrito
04-14-2014, 20:15
Well, I have my shuttle to PenMar reserved for Tuesday, 4/22 at about noon.
I plan to stay at Deer Lick (5 miles), Rocky Mt. (10.2 miles) and Birch Run (13 miles) then 9.6 miles to PGFSP.
I sure hope there's a shower at PGFSP! :eek:

Padovini
04-14-2014, 20:47
No shower :(

Brian P.

doogie
04-14-2014, 21:46
There are showers at PGFSP. They are in the family camp area and at the day use area. None right in the group camp area, but a short walk either direction.

2Questions
04-14-2014, 22:21
There are showers at PGFSP. They are in the family camp area and at the day use area. None right in the group camp area, but a short walk either direction.

Donna here...I'm sorry to have to say this...but I believe that the Bathhouses in the Family Campground are only available to those that have campsites in the Family Campground. Day use Bathhouses...I'm not sure about. Doogie is probably and hopefully correct with those.

TZBrown
04-15-2014, 07:45
Last year the showers at the swim / day use area were on

Downhill Trucker
04-16-2014, 16:01
Well after much thought I am going to start around the Anteitam shelter around noon on Wednesday. I'll stay at Rocky Mountain that night and birch run on Thursday night. I'm going to leave my car at a small lot off the trail near old forge picnic area.

Perrito... I'll probably run into you wed sometime.

Padovini... I'm sure we will see you on the trail Thursday. Looks like a group of us will be at birch run so the girls shouldn't feel uncomfortable. Plus there are great hang sites past the shelter along the stream.

Harleynemo and two tents... Are you all going to be in the area when you head NOBO?

To anyone I forgot, please chime in. Can't wait to get on the trail.

harleynemo
04-16-2014, 18:11
Well after much thought I am going to start around the Anteitam shelter around noon on Wednesday. I'll stay at Rocky Mountain that night and birch run on Thursday night. I'm going to leave my car at a small lot off the trail near old forge picnic area.

Perrito... I'll probably run into you wed sometime.

Padovini... I'm sure we will see you on the trail Thursday. Looks like a group of us will be at birch run so the girls shouldn't feel uncomfortable. Plus there are great hang sites past the shelter along the stream.

Harleynemo and two tents... Are you all going to be in the area when you head NOBO?

To anyone I forgot, please chime in. Can't wait to get on the trail.

Downhill Trucker…..TwoTents is not going to be able to hike-in or attend MAHHA…..I am adjusting my hiking and not sure if I will hike in Wed/Thurs/Fri or just drive into PGF……****sigh**** not sure, I will post when I know:)

Downhill Trucker
04-16-2014, 18:40
Well if you want to join me that would be great. I'm going to park near the old forge picnic area around noon and stay at Rocky Mountain that night.

Are you still in for the post hike?

Two Tents
04-16-2014, 18:53
Dang busted ribs! Think about me and ben while you all are on the trail. We'd be there if we could. Nobody is more bummed-er than me about this.

2Questions
04-16-2014, 19:04
Dang busted ribs! Think about me and ben while you all are on the trail. We'd be there if we could. Nobody is more bummed-er than me about this.

Donna here...Is there anything we can do for you so you can attend the hang? Maybe if you have a car camping size tent we can set it up for you. We have an air mattress you could borrow, but getting up off the ground might be difficult. Maybe someone has a cot that could be used in your tent. If Two Tents is up to it...does anyone have any better ideas?

perrito
04-16-2014, 19:25
Hey harleynemo,
If you drive to PGFSP and park there, we can split the shuttle (I got a great deal) and you still get a nice hike in. It's not as long as you were going to do, but what the hell!
Looking forward to meeting you all!

perrito
04-16-2014, 19:30

Donna here...Is there anything we can do for you so you can attend the hang? Maybe if you have a car camping size tent we can set it up for you. We have an air mattress you could borrow, but getting up off the ground might be difficult. Maybe someone has a cot that could be used in your tent. If Two Tents is up to it...does anyone have any better ideas?
He's a teepee, he's a wigwam. He's a teepee, he's a wigwam.
Hey doood! It won't be the same without you there! There has to be a way!

harleynemo
04-16-2014, 19:46
Well if you want to join me that would be great. I'm going to park near the old forge picnic area around noon and stay at Rocky Mountain that night.

Are you still in for the post hike?

I am still in for the post-hike!!

harleynemo
04-16-2014, 19:51
Hey harleynemo,
If you drive to PGFSP and park there, we can split the shuttle (I got a great deal) and you still get a nice hike in. It's not as long as you were going to do, but what the hell!

It wouldn't matter that it is not as long….:)

Sounds like a great itinerary, I will give it some thought, and thank you for the offer:)

I just have to say what an incredible group of people are on HF!! Everyone is so kind, compassionate and fun! I love to tell my story that I met two guys that I only "talked" to over HF, and met them in Front Royal to hike into my first MAHHA(2012)…..TwoTents and MML…..what a great hike that was!

Downhill Trucker
04-16-2014, 20:49

I am more than willing to help in anyway we can get two tents and Ben to the hang. I have a buddy coming up Friday night (a non member named Andrew). He is bringing me a resupply box for my hike out. He could bring my 6 man car camping shelter and or anything else you may need. I do not have a cot or air mattress though. Anything I can do PLEASE let me know!!!!

Two Tents
04-16-2014, 20:58
Thanks everyone for the help offers. I just can't get comfortable enough to ride in a car for that long. It's been a very uncomfortable two weeks since I fell. The spasms have subsided mostly and I'm a bit better just not able to travel very far. Please know that I'll miss you all. I am feeling the love from this awesome group of hangers! I am blessed to have friends like all of you! Peace, Two Tents and ben

harleynemo
04-21-2014, 08:14
Hey harleynemo,

I am going to drive up on Friday now..... No per hike, but thanks for the offer:) I will see you Friday.

Padovini
04-21-2014, 09:07
Anyone have a map covering the trail from Caledonia to PGSF that they could send digitally please (a scanned copy would work)? I have no internet other than a phone, so I am unable to search for one easily. Please send me a PM, and I can get you my work email address that I can log into and use a workstation to print from. If not, I hope all the trail intersections are marked well as I have never been on this section of trail before.

Thanks Brian P.

doogie
04-21-2014, 09:34
Anyone have a map covering the trail from Caledonia to PGSF that they could send digitally please (a scanned copy would work)? I have no internet other than a phone, so I am unable to search for one easily. Please send me a PM, and I can get you my work email address that I can log into and use a workstation to print from. If not, I hope all the trail intersections are marked well as I have never been on this section of trail before.

Thanks Brian P.
I got you covered, PM coming soon

Padovini
04-21-2014, 15:37
Map found, thanks Doogie.

Anyone familiar with Birch Run, and if there is a bear pole? If not I will need to bring some extra line.

Thanks again, Brian P.

Downhill Trucker
04-22-2014, 13:44
Map found, thanks Doogie.

Anyone familiar with Birch Run, and if there is a bear pole? If not I will need to bring some extra line.

Thanks again, Brian P.

I am not 100% positive, but I think there is one. If so it is in the field by the shelter. I have hung across from the shelter and near the stream a few times. There is a fire ring and logs to sit on. But across the stream from the shelters with a series of sites including this one: http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/23/va6esuna.jpg These sites are really sweet. The stream is right behind you. I have always just hung my food from somewhere close to my hammock where critters can't get to it. I don't think there is any bear problem at birch run. That said it certainly wouldn't hurt to bear bag it.

Sorry for the winded post... Sheesh!

doogie
04-22-2014, 13:56
I was hoping someone would chime in with a definite answer. I know that Quarry Gap has a bear box and Toms run has a bear pole, but I only ate lunch at Birch Run so I didn't look for a pole.

Nhott
04-22-2014, 14:06
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1944

Post 15 and 17.

Nhott
04-22-2014, 14:13
I was hoping someone would chime in with a definite answer. I know that Quarry Gap has a bear box and Toms run has a bear pole, but I only ate lunch at Birch Run so I didn't look for a pole.

Pic of bear pole here: http://www.wherearethestablers.com/2013/07/02/tumbling-run-shelters-to-birch-run-shelter/

Padovini
04-22-2014, 15:01
Thank you nhott.

Brian P.

Padovini
04-23-2014, 22:05
Edit: found :)

Forgot my stoves, had to run to walmart at midnight and buy a fancy feast can and a hole punch. It will allow me to boil water and have some warm meals at least.

If anyone read my first post, please disregard, I got it covered.

Thanks Brian P.