PDA

View Full Version : Newbie just looking for more vids, any advice would be great

shottyjo
02-08-2014, 00:52
Hey guys I am a complete newbie to hammocking and seriously considering getting my first hammock.(mainly for moto touring and recreational camping.) Was initially really interested in the HH's and the Warbonnets. Did most of my looking on the youtube until I stumbled across this forum. Since I have, it has greatly interested me in the Dream Hammock Thunderbird and Dangerbird, for obvious reasons of quality of the product and customer service. My question is why isnt there more videos of the Dream Hammock products and options on youtube? I have gained a fair amount of knowledge of their products from hammock forums, and all of your reviews, but I, as a visual learner, would like to see more videos and reviews of their products on youtube. I have only found at most less than 7 vids of their products on youtube. I don't doubt any of the reviews, most or all of you strongly recommend their products (and that says a lot), I would just like to "see" them (in a video form) as well. As a person that does a lot of research before i buy things, I think more visual (video) representations would definitely help Dream hammocks (don't get me wrong their website is great and has been a lot of help too). If anyone knows of any videos on their products I have missed I would greatly appreciate any links that could help. Thanks in advance. Like i said im a complete newbie, and just understand things a little better when shown as apposed to reading. Thanks again for any help.

JP_dog
02-08-2014, 02:23
Welcome from Alaska, shottyjo.

Spend some time reading the articles and get the contributor membership and look through the extra forums, if you haven't already. For me, after really diving in and nearly pulling the trigger several times on more than a few brands, I find that none of the commercial ones have EVERY feature I am looking at, and I get stuck on the details, thus the lack of trigger pulling.

If you have the $$, the models you speak of will do you well, but this hobby is super addictive. None of your post mentioned suspension, tarp and insulation. So if you feel overwhelmed now, get ready for a roller coaster ride my friend! One word "Dutch", and now the craziness begins.

God luck and welcome to the group!

Mountnman
02-08-2014, 06:04
I agree with you on the videos, I am also a visual learner. I have seen many of these at hangs and laid in a few, the are top notch quality and lay great.

If you haven't seen any of Shugs videos on you tube take a few and check them out they are hilarious and very informational. He goes by Shugemery on you tube. He has an essentials for noobs series of 10 or 11 videos that will get you goin

Thumbs
02-08-2014, 10:01
Watch them all and you will be entertained AND well informed on what to do and what not...

http://www.youtube.com/user/shugemery

olddog
02-08-2014, 10:29
Welcome aboard from Florida. In addition Shug knows what he is talking about. I looked at one video last night on youtube and the gentleman was all wrong. Six months or less here and you will have a better grasp on hammocks then he did.

TallPaul
02-08-2014, 11:09
This is in the Dream hammock forum. I think the OP is looking for videos specific to this product.

Shug
02-08-2014, 11:21
This is in the Dream hammock forum. I think the OP is looking for videos specific to this product.
I concur)))) He is probing the Dream Hammock Gear. I have nothing on them.
Shug

Izraelius
02-08-2014, 12:38
I agree. I wish there were more videos as well.
I have my first dream hammock coming by the end of the month hopefully (order 798!), so I'll try to get a video review done to help the lacking YouTube collection.

Floridahanger
02-08-2014, 15:53
Welcome to the fun, from Florida.

My suggestion would be to find a group hang in your area. That way you can have visual and be able to touch, feel, try out, lay in, ask questions, and possibly set one up to see if you like them.

Here in Florida, we have quite a few group hangs per year and there is always, ALWAYS, someone ready to jump in to lend a hand and help out a fellow hanger with any questions and even rigs to try out.

If you can't find a hanger with the hammock you want to try out, still watch Shugs videos for noobs series. There is still very valuable info to gather with his series.

There are many hammocks worth the count around you. Try a few out and see what you can find in addition to the Dream Hammock, hammocks. (You'll see. You will want more, and more...)

Good luck and I hope you find true hanging bliss.

shottyjo
02-08-2014, 22:10
Thanks everybody for the advice and suggestions. To the comment about my lack of mention of suspension and such. I was thinking I need a Double layer no matter what because I live in SE missouri (if youve ever been here you know the mosquito should be our state bird), and the fact that i could save money on a underquilt by using a sleeping pad i already have. That being said i dont plan on doing any winter camping, spring and fall is about my cutoff. Also thinking the 1.1 DL because i am a shorter person and might weigh 140 absolutely soaking wet. As for suspension, at first I was thinking the cinch buckle, because im not too worried about weight, but after watching some of mr. emerys (sorry if its spelt wrong) vids, i am considering the whoopie slings they look pretty simple to use, and would probably pack a little smaller overall. Another big reason for considering a DB is the ability to get in/out from either side, and the diversity of use possibilities (topless, bug net, fully closed) that to me is a big kicker. Like I said tho i am a complete newb to all this so all the comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated. You all have helped me to consider things i hadnt even thought about. Any others are more than welcome to share advice and suggestions. They will all be considered. Thanks again.

-shotty

Izraelius
03-10-2014, 10:50
I have an unboxing and set up vid of my new DH Gnome coming soon!

Izraelius
03-15-2014, 21:40
And here's the un-boxing video:

http://youtu.be/V5St8yDzFp8

Set up video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVXYUlGoXQ8